Buy duplicate items

Stormin Mormon

Jul 14, 2012, 9:31:08 AM7/14/12
From another list, and edited:

And Chris, what most people DONT have, is
SPARE PARTS. People will buy $1,000
PLUS DOLLAR guns and not have the first
spare part. They will buy many different
models, when having several of the EXACT
same gun would be a better choice, but is
boring when showing off.....lol

But you would have same magazines/ accessories/
spare parts and more IMPORTANTLY ammo.
Sure, there's guns for different applications..a
shotgun for close up, a sniper style rifle for long
distances/etc.....

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

Frank

Jul 14, 2012, 9:43:52 AM7/14/12
Extra magazines, ammo sure, but you never know what part is going to
fail. A couple of years ago, I had three broken guns and parts were not
the common ones and even if I had them I could not have fixed them.

de...@dudu.org

Jul 14, 2012, 10:19:54 AM7/14/12
I have at least two guns in every caliber I collect. That way if one
gun is lost or fails I have another that goes with the ammo I
stockpiled.

Message has been deleted

de...@dudu.org

Jul 14, 2012, 10:36:41 AM7/14/12
On Sat, 14 Jul 2012 10:27:04 -0400, Deucalion <som...@nowhere.net>
wrote:

>On Sat, 14 Jul 2012 09:31:08 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"
><cayoung61***spam...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>>From another list, and edited:
>>

>>And Chris, what most people DONT have, is
>>SPARE PARTS. People will buy $1,000
>>PLUS DOLLAR guns and not have the first
>>spare part.
>
>Those are probably the same people who buy a $20,000 car and don't
>even have spare valves, injectors, rings, wheel bearings,
>transmissions, or any other spare parts around.
>
>I've found that most quality rifles and pistols will outlast an
>automobile if properly cared for. A lot of them outlast their owners
>who died of natural causes.

Quality firearms will outlast your grandchildren if you teach them how
to take care of them.

Larry

Jul 14, 2012, 12:08:02 PM7/14/12
In article <jtrt2q$cdb$1...@dont-email.me>, frankperi...@comcast.net
says...

> Extra magazines, ammo sure, but you never know what part is going to
> fail. A couple of years ago, I had three broken guns and parts were not
> the common ones and even if I had them I could not have fixed them.

The only gun I have that is not in good working condition is a pump shotgun
manufactured in 1898 that has defeated all my attempts to get it apart. A
Mauser manufactured in 1891 is still working fine. The only modern gun I have
had to repair is a Winchester 37A single shot that cost me $40 new in 1973. A
piece of plastic on the forepiece broke, but the shotgun still worked fine.

I'm an active member of my local rod and gun club, and run thousands of
rounds of ammunition a year. I reload to save money. I buy quality firearms,
don't mistreat my guns and they serve reliably. I submit that if your guns
need repair, you need to either learn to take care of them or buy better
guns.

Modern firearms are amazingly reliable. Mil spec for the M9 is 50,000 rounds
without cleaning and without a misfeed. There are pieces of shit on the
market, like the SKS, but everyone knows they are pieces of shit and nobody
but the ignorant buys them.

Frank

Jul 14, 2012, 12:48:56 PM7/14/12
I do too, particularly since I reload. Don't have a lot of calibers but
usually have 1,000 rounds of each as reloads and another stock of
primers and bullets in similar quantities.

Frank

Jul 14, 2012, 1:05:16 PM7/14/12
My three guns that broke were quality guns, one less than a year old
which was repaired under warranty. Ruger does not have a warranty but
took the gun back and actually re-barreled it.

My Glock had a broken leaf spring that would have been difficult for me
to replace. When I could not find the part on line, I took it to a gun
shop where a Glock armorer fixed on the spot for $5. I could not
believe my luck.

The third, an old S&W model 19 went to a third party for broken part
replacement and timing which cost $100.

I can do simple gun repair but these three stymied me. As I pointed out
in other response, I've got backups.

I wanted to buy one of those POS SKS's cause they look so neat but shop
wanted over $400.

Stormin Mormon

Jul 14, 2012, 5:14:33 PM7/14/12
There's often an exception to the rule. Yours, is one. Sorry to hear that
you had some misfortune.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

"Frank" <frankperi...@comcast.net> wrote in message

Shall not be infringed

Jul 14, 2012, 6:26:58 PM7/14/12
On Saturday, July 14, 2012 9:43:52 AM UTC-4, Frank wrote:
> On 7/14/2012 9:31 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
> &gt; From another list, and edited:
> &gt;
> &gt;
> &gt; And Chris, what most people DONT have, is
> &gt; SPARE PARTS. People will buy $1,000
> &gt; PLUS DOLLAR guns and not have the first
> &gt; spare part. They will buy many different
> &gt; models, when having several of the EXACT
> &gt; same gun would be a better choice, but is
> &gt; boring when showing off.....lol
> &gt;
> &gt; But you would have same magazines/ accessories/
> &gt; spare parts and more IMPORTANTLY ammo.
> &gt; Sure, there&#39;s guns for different applications..a
> &gt; shotgun for close up, a sniper style rifle for long
> &gt; distances/etc.....
> &gt;
> &gt; Christopher A. Young
> &gt; Learn more about Jesus
> &gt; www.lds.org
> &gt; .
> &gt;
> &gt;
>
> Extra magazines, ammo sure, but you never know what part is going to
> fail. A couple of years ago, I had three broken guns and parts were not
> the common ones and even if I had them I could not have fixed them.

AR15 gets an extractor and spring, and a firing pin. An entire spring kit isn't a bad idea.

Gunner Asch

Jul 15, 2012, 8:10:33 AM7/15/12
On Sat, 14 Jul 2012 09:43:52 -0400, Frank
<frankperi...@comcast.net> wrote:

http://www.gunpartscorp.com/

They are on my speed dial.

There are a good number of others, depending on the weapon/model etc

Gunner

--
"The danger to America is not Barack Obama but a citizenry
capable of entrusting a man like him with the Presidency.

Gunner Asch

Jul 15, 2012, 8:18:52 AM7/15/12
The SKS is hardly a piece of shit. In fact..its one of the best arms
ever made for its purpose.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SKS

Gunner, who owns quite a num...er..."several" of them.

Gunner Asch

Jul 15, 2012, 8:24:24 AM7/15/12
On Sat, 14 Jul 2012 13:05:16 -0400, Frank
<frankperi...@comcast.net> wrote:

>> Modern firearms are amazingly reliable. Mil spec for the M9 is 50,000 rounds
>> without cleaning and without a misfeed. There are pieces of shit on the
>> market, like the SKS, but everyone knows they are pieces of shit and nobody
>> but the ignorant buys them.
>>

>My three guns that broke were quality guns, one less than a year old
>which was repaired under warranty. Ruger does not have a warranty but
>took the gun back and actually re-barreled it.
>
>My Glock had a broken leaf spring that would have been difficult for me
>to replace. When I could not find the part on line, I took it to a gun
>shop where a Glock armorer fixed on the spot for $5. I could not
>believe my luck.
>
>The third, an old S&W model 19 went to a third party for broken part
>replacement and timing which cost $100.
>
>I can do simple gun repair but these three stymied me. As I pointed out
>in other response, I've got backups.
>
>I wanted to buy one of those POS SKS's cause they look so neat but shop
>wanted over $400.

SKS rifles retail from about $100-450..with the higher dollar guns being
sold as collector pieces due to unusual manufacturing location, etc etc

The SKSs that first came into the US sold for $79.99, and included 440rd
spam cans of ammo. They have gone in price somewhat, with most being
sold today for $200

Gunner

Frank

Jul 15, 2012, 9:16:42 AM7/15/12
My misfortune could have been worse.
The gun shop I was dealing with was seized by the Feds because the owner
was arrested for possession of cocaine. If any of my broken stuff was
in there for repairs, I could have lost it or taken a year to get back.

Frank

Jul 15, 2012, 9:20:23 AM7/15/12
My urge to get one has passed. I know they were a reliable service rifle
but like the AK's, not a shooter with any accuracy.

I was sorry I passed on such guns when they were dirt cheap several
years ago.

pyotr filipivich

Jul 15, 2012, 11:30:03 AM7/15/12
Gunner Asch <gunne...@gmail.com> on Sun, 15 Jul 2012 05:18:52 -0700
typed in alt.survival the following:
>On Sat, 14 Jul 2012 09:08:02 -0700, Larry <lar...@peaksky.com> wrote:
>
>>In article <jtrt2q$cdb$1...@dont-email.me>, frankperi...@comcast.net
>>says...
>>
>>> Extra magazines, ammo sure, but you never know what part is going to
>>> fail. A couple of years ago, I had three broken guns and parts were not
>>> the common ones and even if I had them I could not have fixed them.
>>
>>The only gun I have that is not in good working condition is a pump shotgun
>>manufactured in 1898 that has defeated all my attempts to get it apart. A
>>Mauser manufactured in 1891 is still working fine. The only modern gun I have
>>had to repair is a Winchester 37A single shot that cost me $40 new in 1973. A
>>piece of plastic on the forepiece broke, but the shotgun still worked fine.
>>
>>I'm an active member of my local rod and gun club, and run thousands of
>>rounds of ammunition a year. I reload to save money. I buy quality firearms,
>>don't mistreat my guns and they serve reliably. I submit that if your guns
>>need repair, you need to either learn to take care of them or buy better
>>guns.
>>
>>Modern firearms are amazingly reliable. Mil spec for the M9 is 50,000 rounds
>>without cleaning and without a misfeed. There are pieces of shit on the
>>market, like the SKS, but everyone knows they are pieces of shit and nobody
>>but the ignorant buys them.
>

>The SKS is hardly a piece of shit. In fact..its one of the best arms
>ever made for its purpose.
>
>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SKS
>
>Gunner, who owns quite a num...er..."several" of them.

Two of them, iirc, yes? One for fixing, and the other for
"parts". Yeah, that's the ticket.

--
pyotr filipivich
Obi-wan once observed"The Force can have a strong influence on the weak-minded."

Winston_Smith

Jul 15, 2012, 2:51:24 PM7/15/12
On Sat, 14 Jul 2012 10:27:04 -0400, Deucalion wrote:
>On Sat, 14 Jul 2012 09:31:08 -0400, "Stormin Mormon" wrote:

>>And Chris, what most people DONT have, is
>>SPARE PARTS. People will buy $1,000
>>PLUS DOLLAR guns and not have the first
>>spare part.
>
>Those are probably the same people who buy a $20,000 car and don't
>even have spare valves, injectors, rings, wheel bearings,
>transmissions, or any other spare parts around.

I found a valve in the street one time. I figure if I find a lathe I
can clean up the valve (if I find a book to tell me how to do
machining) and then if I find whatever kind of engine it's for, I can
fix it (if I find the right tools and a shop manual).

>I've found that most quality rifles and pistols will outlast an
>automobile if properly cared for. A lot of them outlast their owners
>who died of natural causes.

Yup. Got guns much older than I am; passed through countless hands.
Some are over a century old and they are still fine.

Frank

Jul 15, 2012, 4:03:56 PM7/15/12
Good site and I see they have the Glock slide lock spring which broke
but it would still cost more than the $5 I paid for new spring and repair.

What I learned about Glock is that there are so many police weapons
around there are also a ton of Glock armorers to work on them.

Contrast this with Taurus where I ordered a scope mount from them and
never got it. First they put it off and then cancelled the order after
it did not come in after about 3 months. Then they promised me a free
one and never delivered.

Too_Many_Tools

Jul 15, 2012, 6:00:29 PM7/15/12
On Jul 15, 8:16 am, Frank <frankperiodlogu...@comcast.net> wrote:
> On 7/14/2012 5:14 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
>

> > There's often an exception to the rule. Yours, is one. Sorry to hear that
> > you had some misfortune.
>
> > Christopher A. Young
> > Learn more about Jesus
> >    www.lds.org
> > .
>
> > "Frank" <frankperiodlogu...@comcast.net> wrote in message
>
> > Extra magazines, ammo sure, but you never know what part is going to
> > fail.  A couple of years ago, I had three broken guns and parts were not
> > the common ones and even if I had them I could not have fixed them.
>
> My misfortune could have been worse.
> The gun shop I was dealing with was seized by the Feds because the owner
> was arrested for possession of cocaine.  If any of my broken stuff was
> in there for repairs, I could have lost it or taken a year to get back.- Hide quoted text -

Try dealing with honest liberal gun shops.

TMT

Gunner Asch

Jul 15, 2012, 7:12:30 PM7/15/12
One has to decide on what one considered "accurate"

The SKS can be buried in a mudpit, shit on, stomped on, swollowed by a
gater and shit out a week later..and still keep all of its rounds in a
6" circle at 200 meters. Which for a battle rifle, is more than good
enough. Seriously.

It was never intended to be a target rifle, or even an animal hunting
rifle. It was designed solely to shoot people with. And for that..it
does a very nice job.

I have rifles with far far more power and speed, that will put 5 rounds
into a single hole at 200 yrds. Drop them, mishandle them, mistreat
them..and all bets are off. Yet the SKS keeps putting them downrange
into that 6" group.

And no..not all SKSs will shoot into a 6" circle. Most of mine, (all
bought/swapped for, after a bit of picking and choosing), will shoot
into a 2-3" circle. I have one that will shoot East German ammo under 1"
at 100 meters. The most accurate SKS Ive ever seen. Which is why I
swapped some serious iron for it. (a lathe).

The SKS shares the same marvelous attributes as the 1911 45acp

Abuse the fuck out of it..and it will still kill the guy you aim it at.

The British 303 shares the same shelf btw.

Gunner Asch

Jul 15, 2012, 7:18:22 PM7/15/12
Think you saw all of my guns? <VBG>

And there were 4 of them in the house. You handled 2 of them.

As you may recall..as time wore on..I kept coming up with other guns you
hadnt seen?

And you may further recall some outbuildings, stands of pipe, fence
posts and other places suitable for concealing long and short :"things"

My ex and the roomies dont have a clue how many such toys I own. Only
some really really tight friends have an idea..and a list of where to
look. Some arent even on my property. I own "several" FALs..which of
course are illegal in California. So they arent stored on my property.

Shrug

Gunner

>--
>pyotr filipivich
>Obi-wan once observed"The Force can have a strong influence on the weak-minded."
>Who knew Dubya was a Jedi Knight?

Winston_Smith

Jul 15, 2012, 7:23:18 PM7/15/12
>Try dealing with honest liberal gun shops.

Now if we just had an honest ATF and DOJ.

Gunner Asch

Jul 15, 2012, 7:24:10 PM7/15/12
On Sun, 15 Jul 2012 16:03:56 -0400, Frank
The only Taurus I own..is a copy of the K-22/K17. 6" .22 revolver with
adjustable sights. Not a bad shooter, but still nowhere the quality of a
S&W.

My Good K22 was made in 1952 and came from the estate of a life long
target shooter (Army). Its still the best shooting 22 revolver Ive ever
owned.

Debbie

Jul 15, 2012, 7:39:50 PM7/15/12
Liberal gun shop sounds like an oxymoron. I have never been in one.

Larry

Jul 15, 2012, 9:04:33 PM7/15/12
In article <e1j608tgkiba562h0...@4ax.com>, gunne...@gmail.com
says...

> The SKS can be buried in a mudpit, shit on, stomped on, swollowed by a
> gater and shit out a week later..and still keep all of its rounds in a
> 6" circle at 200 meters. Which for a battle rifle, is more than good
> enough. Seriously.

The first time I picked up an M14 I ran 20 rounds into a 6" circle on the 200
yard (dates me) KD range, rapid fire from a seated position. The sergeant
actually smiled at me. The M14 is where my high opinion of the .308 cartridge
started. If reliability is a consideration, you would be much better off with
an M14.

Around here, one of the favorite coyote guns is the AR15. Off the shelf you
can get one that will put those rounds into a 6" circle at 400 yards, plenty
good enough for coyotes. If you were shooting at somebody carrying an SKS you
wouldn't have to worry, because he couldn't hit you anyway.

Stormin Mormon

Jul 15, 2012, 9:41:52 PM7/15/12
You have to look next to the honest,
inexpensive plumber, and with the
vegan McDonalds on the other side?

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

"Debbie" <d...@nospam.net> wrote in message

Gunner Asch

Jul 15, 2012, 10:28:24 PM7/15/12
On Sun, 15 Jul 2012 18:04:33 -0700, Larry <lar...@peaksky.com> wrote:

>In article <e1j608tgkiba562h0...@4ax.com>, gunne...@gmail.com
>says...
>
>> The SKS can be buried in a mudpit, shit on, stomped on, swollowed by a
>> gater and shit out a week later..and still keep all of its rounds in a
>> 6" circle at 200 meters. Which for a battle rifle, is more than good
>> enough. Seriously.
>
>The first time I picked up an M14 I ran 20 rounds into a 6" circle on the 200
>yard (dates me) KD range, rapid fire from a seated position. The sergeant
>actually smiled at me. The M14 is where my high opinion of the .308 cartridge
>started. If reliability is a consideration, you would be much better off with
>an M14.

The first time I fired the M14..I shot a possible. Group about the size
of a big clenched fist. Which is why I went to "sharpshooter" school
and they tasked me with taking long walks in the woods etc etc.
But its a big, heavy, hard to maintain firearm. One I certainly would
not give to a Slobbovian herder to keep the Lower Slobbovians away.

>Around here, one of the favorite coyote guns is the AR15. Off the shelf you
>can get one that will put those rounds into a 6" circle at 400 yards, plenty
>good enough for coyotes. If you were shooting at somebody carrying an SKS you
>wouldn't have to worry, because he couldn't hit you anyway.

Well...not exactly true. That Slobbovian would simply hold on your head
and blow your heart and lungs away. While it might shoot into a 6"
circle at 200 if its a poorly made weapon..it will still shoot into 12"
circle at 400 meters and kill the target more than dead.

Shrug

But hey...carry what you want.

rbowman

Jul 16, 2012, 12:33:53 AM7/16/12
Frank wrote:

> My urge to get one has passed. I know they were a reliable service rifle
> but like the AK's, not a shooter with any accuracy.

They have sufficient accuracy for their intended purpose.

misanthrope

Jul 16, 2012, 8:06:25 AM7/16/12
I've not had a problem with accuracy with either a semi-auto AK or SKS.

Shall not be infringed

Jul 16, 2012, 10:03:43 PM7/16/12
A liberal urban myth