Bubonic Plague hits Boulder, Colorado

Steve from Colorado

Jun 4, 2011, 2:51:31 AM6/4/11
Strange days are upon us, what with the E Coli outbreaks in Germany
and radiation contaminated food in Japan.

Boulder County health officials announced Friday that a pet cat and a
dead squirrel have tested positive for the plague, and humane society
veterinarians advise that domestic cats shouldn't be allowed to roam
freely.

The cat -- living in the 2500 block of Sixth Street -- tested positive
for the bubonic plague after its owner took it into the Humane Society
of Boulder Valley to be checked out by veterinarians. A dead squirrel
was also found at the intersection of Eighth and Maxwell, and also
tested positive for the plague.

Jennifer Bolser, chief clinic veterinarian, said that the cat brought
the dead squirrel home and likely became infected from it.

In response, signs have been posted in the Mapleton Hill neighborhood
listing precautionary measures to avoid plague.

The cat, which was brought into the humane society last week, was
treated with antibiotics and did not need to be euthanized, said Kim
Sporrer, spokeswoman of the Humane Society of Boulder Valley.

This is the first time plague activity has been confirmed in Boulder
County this season, county health officials said. It's been six or
seven years since Boulder's humane society clinic has come across a
plague case, Bolser said.

Plague occurs naturally in Colorado and is an infectious disease
spread by fleas to wild rodents and other small mammals, such as
squirrels, rats, prairie dogs and rabbits.

"The plague, in general, is highly treatable if you can catch it and
diagnose it early, and don't ignore the symptoms," Bolser said.

Symptoms of plague infection include high fever, extreme fatigue and
painful swollen lymph nodes.

Household pets, such as dogs and especially cats, can either get
plague or carry infected fleas home to their owners.

Read more: Cat, dead squirrel in Boulder test positive for plague -
Boulder Daily Camera http://www.dailycamera.com/news/ci_18200489#ixzz1OHsmzvih
DailyCamera.com

Gunner Asch

Jun 4, 2011, 4:42:47 AM6/4/11
On Fri, 3 Jun 2011 23:51:31 -0700 (PDT), Steve from Colorado
<gas...@hushmail.com> wrote:

>Strange days are upon us, what with the E Coli outbreaks in Germany
>and radiation contaminated food in Japan.
>
>Boulder County health officials announced Friday that a pet cat and a
>dead squirrel have tested positive for the plague, and humane society
>veterinarians advise that domestic cats shouldn't be allowed to roam
>freely.
>
>The cat -- living in the 2500 block of Sixth Street -- tested positive
>for the bubonic plague after its owner took it into the Humane Society
>of Boulder Valley to be checked out by veterinarians. A dead squirrel
>was also found at the intersection of Eighth and Maxwell, and also
>tested positive for the plague.
>
>Jennifer Bolser, chief clinic veterinarian, said that the cat brought
>the dead squirrel home and likely became infected from it.

This is fairly common in many places in the West..including California.

When we zap varmints..generally the California Cat Squirrel...we seldom
touch the bits and pieces. Plague is not fun.

Gunner

"Lenin called them "useful idiots," those people living in
liberal democracies who by giving moral and material support
to a totalitarian ideology in effect were braiding the rope that
would hang them. Why people who enjoyed freedom and prosperity worked
passionately to destroy both is a fascinating question, one still with us
today. Now the useful idiots can be found in the chorus of appeasement,
reflexive anti-Americanism, and sentimental idealism trying to inhibit
the necessary responses to another freedom-hating ideology, radical Islam"

deepdudu

Jun 4, 2011, 9:01:34 AM6/4/11
<gas...@hushmail.com> wrote:

>Strange days are upon us, what with the E Coli outbreaks in Germany
>and radiation contaminated food in Japan.
>
>Boulder County health officials announced Friday that a pet cat and a
>dead squirrel have tested positive for the plague, and humane society
>veterinarians advise that domestic cats shouldn't be allowed to roam
>freely.

That's nothing new. When I was first learning about survival foods
and moved out west much I read claimed as many as 10% of all rabbits,
squirrels, and rodents had plague infected lice and they should not be
eaten. Fleas do not transfer to healthy people and domestic animals
unless the animal is killed and not disposed of immediately. As soon
as the body starts to cool the fleas jump ship. If it's you or your
cat handling the cooling body is when the risk of infection comes in.
Bubonic plague is easily cured with antibiotics if recognized in time.
Without antibiotics it's supposed to be a really nasty way to go.

Jack G.

Jun 4, 2011, 5:53:06 PM6/4/11

When I was in the military I received Plague #1 and Plague #2 shots in
the 1963 and I wonder if they are still good?

Hisler

Jun 4, 2011, 8:38:08 PM6/4/11

How would you find out other than exposing yourself to both types of plague?

Jack G.

Jun 5, 2011, 9:09:32 AM6/5/11
> How would you find out other than exposing yourself to both types of plague?- Hide quoted text -

I don't know and that is why I posted my question.

Frank

Jun 5, 2011, 12:04:38 PM6/5/11

One of those survival shows had the guy catching a ground squirrel in a
fall type trap. He put the whole animal in the fire to burn the fur off
and kill any fleas before skinning and eating.

deepdudu

Jun 5, 2011, 1:03:05 PM6/5/11

Excellent idea. Lots of third world cultures will put a whole pig,
lamb, or whatever into a fire to burn off all the bad stuff before
they scrape the hide the skin it out. So in a pinch that certainly
would be a good precaution.

Jack G.

Jun 5, 2011, 7:22:09 PM6/5/11
On Jun 5, 10:03 am, Deep Dudu wrote:
> On Sun, 05 Jun 2011 12:04:38 -0400, Frank
>

> <frankperiodlogu...@comcast.net> wrote:
> >On 6/4/2011 9:01 AM, Deep Dudu wrote:

> >> That's nothing new.  When I was first learning about survival foods
> >> and moved out west much I read claimed as many as 10% of all rabbits,
> >> squirrels, and rodents had plague infected lice and they should not be
> >> eaten.  Fleas do not transfer to healthy people and domestic animals
> >> unless the animal is killed and not disposed of immediately.   As soon
> >> as the body starts to cool the fleas jump ship.  If it's you or your
> >> cat handling the cooling body is when the risk of infection comes in.
> >> Bubonic plague is easily cured with antibiotics if recognized in time.
> >> Without antibiotics it's supposed to be a really nasty way to go.
>
> >One of those survival shows had the guy catching a ground squirrel in a
> >fall type trap.  He put the whole animal in the fire to burn the fur off
> >and kill any fleas before skinning and eating.
>
> Excellent idea.  Lots of third world cultures will put a whole pig,
> lamb, or whatever into a fire to burn off all the bad stuff before
> they scrape the hide the skin it out.  So in a pinch that certainly
> would be a good precaution.- Hide quoted text -

Except in Texas where the fleas can jump over 15 feet.

Strabo

Jun 11, 2011, 11:10:26 PM6/11/11

So did I. I was on schedule to be called world-wide. Had to get a new
shot record
every two years.

Is there remaining protection? Some, though if you were current military
you'd get a booster.