Anyone have dual heat .

瀏覽次數:4 次
跳到第一則未讀訊息

DogDiesel

未讀,
2010年12月11日 凌晨12:46:032010/12/11
收件者:
Anyone have gas and wood or coal at the same time.

If so . Anyone using a common chimney. I ask because I'm planning on
hooking a Coal stove up to a chimney with a gas furnace downstairs. To keep
it incognito.

My understanding is Coal can do. Wont start a chimney fire.

Wood no can do. Because of creosote. And chimney fire risk.

Thanks . Diesel.

Steve from Colorado

未讀,
2010年12月11日 凌晨2:28:412010/12/11
收件者:

Coal burns super f*cking hot. Be careful with it because it burns
much, much hotter than wood. It can send bolts flying out of a
fireplace grate meant for logs and melt the masonry between bricks in
a traditional brick chimney meant for a fireplace or wood burning
stove. If there are bends in your metal chimney, they can become hot
spots and might potentially be a fire hazard with coal, IMHO. Perhaps
consider having your local building inspector or fire department
representative give you advice or inspect the chimney before you start
burning coal.

DogDiesel

未讀,
2010年12月11日 凌晨3:31:052010/12/11
收件者:

"Steve from Colorado" <gas...@hushmail.com> wrote in message

Chimneys been inspected. Its double brick lined. I'm rebuilding on a
sealed convection stove like this. Surdiac 513.

http://hearth.com/econtent/index.php/wiki/Surdiac_Stoves/

Stormin Mormon

未讀,
2010年12月11日 清晨5:00:022010/12/11
收件者:
What comes to mind, is that you may need some kind of damper
arrangement, and use one or the other. Else, you could have furnace
fumes coming out your coal stove. Ask at places that sell wood stoves.

How old is the furnace? Maybe put in a 90 percenter, and use the
chimney only for the coal stove? Something in my memory says that when
you shovel in coal, you need to poke a hole in the pile of coal, using
a heavy metal rod. Otherwise, the fumes build up inside the coal pile,
and you get an explosion in the middle of the night.

My Dad used to shovel coal, as a part time job. He found out that some
number of shovels of coal would leave coals in the morning.

Of course, you'd have to buy a truck load of coal. Not sure that's
available now days. I'm not sure if the low sulfur coal is available,
either. My former friend Lenny used to burn coal he found along the
railroad tracks, instead of bagged charcoal. Made the neighborhood
smell like a coal burning factory.

You may be better served with a wood stove, or some kind of gas or
propane wall heater.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"DogDiesel" <nos...@nospam.none> wrote in message

deepdudu

未讀,
2010年12月11日 上午10:49:202010/12/11
收件者:
On Sat, 11 Dec 2010 05:00:02 -0500, "Stormin Mormon"
<cayoung61**spamblock##@hotmail.com> wrote:

>What comes to mind, is that you may need some kind of damper
>arrangement, and use one or the other. Else, you could have furnace
>fumes coming out your coal stove. Ask at places that sell wood stoves.

<groan>

deepdudu

未讀,
2010年12月11日 上午10:49:222010/12/11
收件者:
On Sat, 11 Dec 2010 03:31:05 -0500, "DogDiesel" <nos...@nospam.none>
wrote:

>Chimneys been inspected. Its double brick lined. I'm rebuilding on a
>sealed convection stove like this. Surdiac 513.
>
>http://hearth.com/econtent/index.php/wiki/Surdiac_Stoves/

Nice stove but do NOT vent this into gas furnace flue. Unlike our
resident Mormon Down's child who supposedly is a furnace installer I
understand carbon monoxide and that is the risk here. Your gas
furnace will give off carbon monoxide and unless your coal stove is
100% sealed air tight and closed up tight whenever your furnace is on
your coal stove can leak carbon monoxide back into your house and you
can literally kill yourself and your family while you sleep. Again,
do not do this. Period. If you don't believe me call a local state
licensed (thank god for liberals, eh?) gas appliance installer and ask
him.

deepdudu

未讀,
2010年12月11日 上午10:49:242010/12/11
收件者:
On Fri, 10 Dec 2010 23:28:41 -0800 (PST), Steve from Colorado
<gas...@hushmail.com> wrote:

>On Dec 10, 10:46=A0pm, "DogDiesel" <nos...@nospam.none> wrote:
>> Anyone have gas and wood or coal at the same time.
>>

>> If so . =A0Anyone using a common chimney. =A0I ask because =A0I'm plannin=
>g on
>> hooking a Coal stove up to a chimney with a gas furnace downstairs. =A0To=

> keep
>> it incognito.
>>
>> My understanding is Coal can do. Wont start a chimney fire.
>>

>> Wood no can do. =A0Because of creosote. And chimney fire risk.

>> Thanks . Diesel.
>
>Coal burns super f*cking hot. Be careful with it because it burns
>much, much hotter than wood. It can send bolts flying out of a
>fireplace grate meant for logs and melt the masonry between bricks in
>a traditional brick chimney meant for a fireplace or wood burning
>stove. If there are bends in your metal chimney, they can become hot
>spots and might potentially be a fire hazard with coal, IMHO. Perhaps
>consider having your local building inspector or fire department
>representative give you advice or inspect the chimney before you start
>burning coal.

and he SWINGS and MISSES !!!!!

deepdudu

未讀,
2010年12月11日 上午10:49:272010/12/11
收件者:
On Sat, 11 Dec 2010 00:46:03 -0500, "DogDiesel" <nos...@nospam.none>
wrote:

>Anyone have gas and wood or coal at the same time.

Yes.

>If so . Anyone using a common chimney. I ask because I'm planning on
>hooking a Coal stove up to a chimney with a gas furnace downstairs. To keep
>it incognito.

No. Very bad idea. It is against code probably everywhere for good
reason.

>My understanding is Coal can do. Wont start a chimney fire.
>
>Wood no can do. Because of creosote. And chimney fire risk.
>
>Thanks . Diesel.

Not about creosote . About carbon monoxide seeping back into your
house. Carbon fuel burning devices give off carbon monoxide (CO)
which is poisonous. If you have multiple appliances on the same vent
flue CO can seep back into the house through a second improperly
sealed gas appliance and fucking kill you. A licensed gas or wood
stove installer will NOT hook up two appliances to the same vent.

Steve from Colorado

未讀,
2010年12月11日 上午11:52:452010/12/11
收件者:

The resident troll picks up on what Stormin Mormon already said in a
previous reply, attempts to make it his own advice, and flings insults
at everyone else in keeping with his arrogant contempt for the human
race. I see the National Forest Service has the Unibomber's land for
sale up in Montana -- a perfect spot for Idi Amin Doo Doo to build a
cabin with poop fed fish for him to eat and to spew out his hate when
TEOTWAWKI hits the fan.

訊息已遭刪除

deepdudu

未讀,
2010年12月11日 中午12:35:442010/12/11
收件者:
On Sat, 11 Dec 2010 08:52:45 -0800 (PST), Steve from Colorado
<gas...@hushmail.com> wrote:

>> Not about creosote . About carbon monoxide seeping back into your
>> house. Carbon fuel burning devices give off carbon monoxide (CO)
>> which is poisonous. If you have multiple appliances on the same vent
>> flue CO can seep back into the house through a second improperly
>> sealed gas appliance and fucking kill you. A licensed gas or wood
>> stove installer will NOT hook up two appliances to the same vent.
>>

>The resident troll picks up on what Stormin Mormon already said in a
>previous reply, attempts to make it his own advice, and flings insults
>at everyone else in keeping with his arrogant contempt for the human
>race. I see the National Forest Service has the Unibomber's land for
>sale up in Montana -- a perfect spot for Idi Amin Doo Doo to build a
>cabin with poop fed fish for him to eat and to spew out his hate when
>TEOTWAWKI hits the fan.

That's not what Chris said. Read it again. He alluded to "fumes"
but recommended some kind of damper system which does not exist for
good reason. If Chris knew anything he would have explained CO and
explained why he had to have a second flue. Period.

訊息已遭刪除

robert bowman

未讀,
2010年12月11日 下午2:52:262010/12/11
收件者:
DogDiesel wrote:

> If so .  Anyone using a common chimney.  I ask because  I'm planning on
> hooking a Coal stove up to a chimney with a gas furnace downstairs.  To
> keep it incognito.

There's nothing incognito about burning coal if your neighbors have noses.

ne...@nowhere.org

未讀,
2010年12月11日 下午3:32:202010/12/11
wrote:

>Anyone have gas and wood or coal at the same time.

Sort of, we have a 1930's Monarch wood/coal kitchen stove similar to
this: http://www.kountrylife.com/content/gal16.htm And we have one of
these: http://www.quadrafire.com/en/Productfinder.aspx similar to the
4300 Millennium series, and one of these:
http://www.mendotahearth.com/dxv-fireplace.php None of them share a
chimney.

>If so . Anyone using a common chimney. I ask because I'm planning on
>hooking a Coal stove up to a chimney with a gas furnace downstairs. To keep
>it incognito.

You'll need to look into a plan B for that. I'll tell you how we did
it below.

>My understanding is Coal can do. Wont start a chimney fire.

Coal burns hotter than the hubs of hell. Any residential furnace that
burned coal had a really small, super thick, fire box for a reason. A
little bit of coal produces way more BTU's than a similar sized chunk
of wood. Also, coal is a filthy dirty product that will make your SO
hate you in short order. It gets on everything. Better sleep with
one eye open ; )

>Wood no can do. Because of creosote. And chimney fire risk.

Creosote is easy to deal with. First off, *don't* burn green
(unseasoned) wood, and *do* get a good fire burning. Damped down wood
stoves with green wood will make for heavy creosote build up. Even
the driest wood is going to deposit some creosote so you'll need the
tools of a chimney sweep and an annual cleaning. Takes me about 1/2
hour from getting the tools out to putting them back away, YMMV.

>Thanks . Diesel.

You want to supplement your natural gas heat with something in the
event a SHTF scenario shuts it down, right? We buried a 1,000 gal
propane tank and I'll be getting another one next Spring. Get
yourself some LP conversion kits for whatever appliances you have that
uses NG and you're ready. Propane lasts a long, long time. I
generally buy it in quantity when it's cheapest Spring/Summer.

Newb

ne...@nowhere.org

未讀,
2010年12月11日 下午3:48:522010/12/11
收件者:

What he said, I should've read ahead. The size of the fire box on our
Monarch wood/coal kitchen stove is apprx. 8" W x 14" L x 6" H. Holds
about as much charcoal briquettes as you'd use in a standard Weber
grill. We've never put that much coal in it at once.

Newb

ne...@nowhere.org

未讀,
2010年12月11日 下午4:00:472010/12/11
收件者:
On Sat, 11 Dec 2010 03:31:05 -0500, "DogDiesel" <nos...@nospam.none>
wrote:

Now I'm not clear on what you mean by "double brick lined". Was this
chimney designed to have a fireplace downstairs and another upstairs
above it? Meaning there are two seperated chimney flues side by side
in the same brick enclosure? Sort of like this if looking down the
chimney from the top [8] Or is the original single flue just been
reinforced with another layer? [0]

Newb

訊息已遭刪除

Stormin Mormon

未讀,
2010年12月11日 晚上8:17:072010/12/11
收件者:
When it's cold, there's no reason to sulphur in silence.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"robert bowman" <bow...@montana.com> wrote in message
DogDiesel wrote:

> If so .  Anyone using a common chimney.  I ask because  I'm

> planning on
> hooking a Coal stove up to a chimney with a gas furnace downstairs.

> Â To

訊息已遭刪除

DogDiesel

未讀,
2010年12月12日 凌晨2:03:322010/12/12
收件者:

"robert bowman" <bow...@montana.com> wrote in message
AHHAH!!! Guess there is something incognito about burning coal. Because i
live by a steel plant . And nobody would suspect a thing. Because sulpher
smell, already gets around!!

deepdudu

未讀,
2010年12月12日 上午9:57:502010/12/12
收件者:
On Sat, 11 Dec 2010 13:05:29 -0600, "H.I.T.man"
<H.I....@debian.user.invalid.org> wrote:

>In witness thereof, Deep Dudu stated:
><...>

>> A licensed gas or wood stove installer will NOT hook up two
>> appliances to the same vent.
>

>Not exactly correct. Check the code book - IMC - and you'll see it is
>appropriate for multiple appliances of the *same* fuel type under specific
>flue sizing, type, design requirements, etc. to be on a common stack.

Don't think that's what the installers told me here but perhaps with,
say, multiple propane appliances which are designed to vent airtight
may be compatible since fumes won't be able to escape through the gas
appliance, but certainly not in Diesels case. Putting a vented wood
or coal stove on a gas furnace flue is definately a no-no though.

>--
>H.I.T.man
>"The God who gave us life, gave us liberty at the same time." - Thomas
>Jefferson

訊息已遭刪除

robert bowman

未讀,
2010年12月12日 下午3:06:062010/12/12
收件者:
DogDiesel wrote:

> AHHAH!!!  Guess there is something incognito about burning coal. Because i
> live by a steel plant . And nobody would suspect a thing. Because sulpher
> smell, already gets around!!

Wait for one of those beautiful, still winter days when the smoke hangs in
the air and slowly descends to the ground. I love it when my neighbors
throw the contents of their trash can into the wood stove. Nothing like the
smell of burning plastic in the morning.

terryc

未讀,
2010年12月12日 下午3:17:202010/12/12
收件者:
Deep Dudu wrote:

> say, multiple propane appliances which are designed to vent airtight
> may be compatible since fumes won't be able to escape through the gas

In theory, a properly maintained propane heater should only give off co2
and h20.

Stormin Mormon

未讀,
2010年12月12日 下午4:32:392010/12/12
收件者:
It might have been punny, if you get my draft. Be careful, no fluing
around.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"H.I.T.man" <H.I....@debian.user.invalid.org> wrote in message
In witness thereof, Stormin Mormon stated:

> When it's cold, there's no reason to sulphur in silence.

<chuckling> Someone get me an antacid !!

- H.I.T.man
--
"Fix reason firmly in her seat, and call to her tribunal every fact,
every

DogDiesel

未讀,
2010年12月25日 凌晨4:38:222010/12/25
收件者:

> In witness thereof, Deep Dudu stated:
> <...>
>> Putting a vented wood or coal stove on a gas furnace flue is definately
>> a no-no though.
>
> 100% right.
>
> --
> H.I.T.man
> "When we get piled upon one another in large cities, as in Europe, we
> shall
> become as corrupt as Europe." - Thomas Jefferson

I'm going to put a 5" pipe in the chimney. End of gas issue. But cost is $37
a foot. Not exactly getting into coal cheaply. I'm already into the stove
for about $400. Still cheaper then getting one from PA . And loading it
up.
But coal is available here free. If you want to shovel it. People are
always getting rid of it here.

0 則新訊息