Ileoscope

Actually34

Feb 8, 2003, 10:33:39 AM2/8/03
Has anyone here been scoped through their ostomy?

I haven't been scoped since prior to my ileostomy, but I am due for an
ileoscopy next week. I've been told that it is my choice on whether or not to
be knocked out during the procedure.

Any suggestions from anyone who has experienced this?

The Other Rob

Feb 8, 2003, 1:43:22 PM2/8/03
I've had one since my surgery and my doc knocked me out, though I can't
imagine it'd hurt since the small intestines don't have nerve endings,
but it may be uncomfortable as the scope moves through the intestine and
"bulges" into the abdominal wall, etc....

Mine was uneventful, so I will get knocked out next time too, I've been
through too much (5 surgeries, with 2 current hernias forming) so I
think I deserve to be comfortable!

It's no more or less exciting than a Sigmoidoscopy, all I had to do was
not eat after midnight the night before, I didn't need "prep" like I do
for a Colonoscopy, I hated that part of the procedure :-(

Shaz

Feb 9, 2003, 3:33:17 AM2/9/03
I had an ileoscopy a couple of months ago. Nothing to it really, there was no
pain or anything and I watched the whole thing on the monitor. I did have some
"giggle juice" as the nurse called it but nothing too heavy and I think I really
could have had it done without it (except I was having an endoscopy at the same
time - need the "giggle juice" for that one!)

Don't let them try and tell you that you need to drink that prep stuff - that's
dangerous for ileostomates and can dehydrate you. Usually 36 hours of clear
liquids is all that is needed to "clean" you out if you have an ileostomy (for
colostomates it's different though).

Good luck.

Shaz
http://www.ostomates.org

Kristen313

Feb 10, 2003, 12:47:58 AM2/10/03
>Has anyone here been scoped through their ostomy?

I've had one scope through my ileostomy and it wasn't that bad. The worst part
was watching the scope go in. I thought it would tear the stoma!!! Didn't
hurt, though, and I didn't take any meds before it.
Kristen