mattress

Sunsol

Nov 13, 2001, 7:39:21 PM11/13/01
Hi everybody,

I bought a new organic mattress, and it arrived yesterday. I am so
disappointed. It stinks so much it gave me a headache! I am trying to decide
how to deal with the store. Any ideas?

Sally

J Wootton

Nov 13, 2001, 9:17:36 PM11/13/01
Sunsol wrote:

Hi Sally,
Are you saying you slept on it and they therefore won't take it back?

Tell them you woke up in the middle of the night with a monster migraine and
went to ER and they did a spinal tap, only to find nothing. In the meantime,
the migraine stopped..until you got home and went back to bed. That's when you
realized it is the mattress causing this and they'd better take it back and give
you a full refund (and be happy you don't sue them ;-)

Sunsol

Nov 14, 2001, 2:51:44 PM11/14/01
I didn't even sleep on it. It was too awful. The people at the store say
that organic cotton has a smell that goes away after two months. Two months
of headaches? I don't think so.

Sally
J Wootton <jwoo...@home.com> wrote in message

Sunsol

Nov 14, 2001, 7:35:04 PM11/14/01

> Sunsol wrote:
>
> > Hi everybody,
> >
> > I bought a new organic mattress, and it arrived yesterday. I am so
> > disappointed. It stinks so much it gave me a headache! I am trying to
decide
> > how to deal with the store. Any ideas?
>
> Hi Sally,
> Are you saying you slept on it and they therefore won't take it back?

I haven't asked them yet if they will take it back.

> Tell them you woke up in the middle of the night with a monster migraine
and
> went to ER and they did a spinal tap, only to find nothing. In the
meantime,
> the migraine stopped..until you got home and went back to bed. That's
when you
> realized it is the mattress causing this and they'd better take it back
and give
> you a full refund (and be happy you don't sue them ;-)

That sounds like a real kick, but no, I think I will stick with the truth
and see how far it gets me.

Sally

J Wootton

Nov 14, 2001, 7:37:50 PM11/14/01
Unless you can find a plastic??? wrap (which you could tolerate, and some are
noisy), think you should insist on returning it.

I bought some "natural" clothes a few years agobut they had a slight bothersome
odour to them. After the first few washes, it's gone away. (I went and checked
them in the closet to make sure).
Ran searches on Google, some mention of a mix of water and baking soda (for
various smells). No idea if that would work on a mattress or just make it
worse and/or unreturnable.

Also wonder if they are so sure that the smell will go away, if they'd give you
names of people nearby that you could go over and take a whiff of...but that
might be either gross or a highly unusual request. Or would they send you a
letter guaranteeing if it doesn't that they'll accept the return and full
re-imbursement?

sorry I can't think of what else to say.
Best,

lightlady

Nov 15, 2001, 5:11:07 PM11/15/01
shoot, if the stuff needs to air for two months, they should sell only those
that have been aired 3 months IMO and just for the record, i have a bag of
cotton seed that has no smell ( hubby the truckdriver delivered a load of
it, and had some left over) so if the seeds don't smell, i don't understand
how the fluff would...unless of course it got smell during manufacture or
transport or packaging, etc... but that's just my guess ;-)

--
lynn,

"If all the world's a stage, where's the audience sitting?" author unknown

opinions mine based on my own experience & research

"Sunsol" <SUN...@prodigy.net> wrote in message

John Hilt

Nov 18, 2001, 7:27:38 AM11/18/01
G'day all!

What kind of organic mattress? Besides cotton, what other materials are
used?

--
_/_/_/

Sunsol

Nov 18, 2001, 9:21:22 AM11/18/01
John,
It also has some wool in it as a fire retardant. I am not aware of any other
materials being used.

Sally

John Hilt <jh...@offline.no> wrote in message

J Wootton

Nov 18, 2001, 12:56:39 PM11/18/01
Sunsol wrote:

> It also has some wool in it as a fire retardant. I am not aware of any other
> materials being used.

Sheep dipping ....All dip products contain hazardous substances.
http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/as29.htm
Wool blends treated with fire
retardant..http://www.americanfireretardant.com/RetardProd.htm
Maybe if you type exactly what the label says?

The word "organic" can be used for No hormones, antibiotics or GMO's, but
doesn't say what happens (or not) to the wool after (or before) it's been
sheared.
JMO

Sunsol

Nov 18, 2001, 6:14:18 PM11/18/01

> Sunsol wrote:
>
> > It also has some wool in it as a fire retardant. I am not aware of any
other
> > materials being used.
>
> Sheep dipping ....All dip products contain hazardous substances.
> http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/as29.htm

Wow. Have I got a lot to learn. I never thought of that. Thanks for the
info.

> Wool blends treated with fire
> retardant..http://www.americanfireretardant.com/RetardProd.htm
> Maybe if you type exactly what the label says?
>
> The word "organic" can be used for No hormones, antibiotics or GMO's, but
> doesn't say what happens (or not) to the wool after (or before) it's been
> sheared.
> JMO

They don't call the wool organic, actually. They say the cotton is organic.
I didn't want to go to the trouble to get a prescription for the 100% cotton
mattress without fire retardants. And I actually thought that a less
flamable mattress was a good idea.

The mattress has been returned. I couldn't stand having it in the house.
Whether I get any money back is another question.

Sally

Sunsol

Nov 19, 2001, 8:07:51 AM11/19/01

> Sunsol wrote:
>
> > It also has some wool in it as a fire retardant. I am not aware of any
other
> > materials being used.
>
> Sheep dipping ....All dip products contain hazardous substances.
> http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/as29.htm

Should I stop wearing wool clothes?

Sally

J Wootton

Nov 19, 2001, 9:03:19 AM11/19/01
Sunsol wrote:

> Should I stop wearing wool clothes?

Hello Sally,
What I presented was a possibility, not a certainty. In addition, wool is
processed differently in different countries by different people (even
different batches), so if that's indeed the problem with this specific
mattress, there's no predicting.

As to clothes, they are more washable, so if there is any residual on
clothing, sometimes a few washes clears up the problem. All/most new clothes
have a coating of a chemical (formaldehyde?) so that they don't acquire
creases in shipping/handling. So all clothing IMO should first be washed. As
to the mattress, for all we know, perhaps it wasn't the wool, but actually the
cotton and/or it's coating ??

All you can do is try to keep track of symptoms. If you see a pattern (of
symptoms) while wearing wool, then eliminate them and see if the symptoms go
away. Re-try a few times to see if the same thing happens (or whether it was
just a coincidence).

Hope this helps.

Sunsol

Nov 19, 2001, 4:35:49 PM11/19/01

> Sunsol wrote:
>
> > Should I stop wearing wool clothes?
>
> Hello Sally,
> What I presented was a possibility, not a certainty. In addition, wool is
> processed differently in different countries by different people (even
> different batches), so if that's indeed the problem with this specific
> mattress, there's no predicting.
>
> As to clothes, they are more washable,

J,

That is the problem with a mattress, isn't it. You can't wash it. I have
heard that some people like to sleep on a pile of blankets. They could be
washed. I don't wear wool much, but I will try to be aware of it when I do.
Thanks.

Sally