Testing and Tests

Jude Crouch

May 22, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/22/00
Karen Kay <ka...@wordwrite.com> wrote:
> Steve <dal...@gwi.net> wrote:
>> Im glad you said that. I just got my meter Thursday, and I find that Im testing
>> more than the twice a day my doctor recommended. I want to get a grasp of my
>> numbers...does that make sense?

> It does to me. When I first went to the endocrinologist, she wanted to
> put me on drugs right away, and I told her no, absolutely not, that I
> needed to see what was going on.

> So I went back a month later and said, okay, let's try the drugs. She
> laughed at me (in a nice way) and said "I could have told you", and I
> explained to her that her telling me doesn't make me internalize that
> information in the same way as seeing the numbers on my meter does.

> I started on Glucophage and it made me incredibly ill. I started with
> one 500mg pill, then with halves, and that was still too much. Then I
> tried 1/4 pills, and while that had no effect on my blood sugar, I was
> able to tolerate it. This weekend I went back to 1/2 pills, and today
> I upped it to two half-pills. Even 1/2 pill seems to have a positive
> effect on my blood sugar.

Karen, please read and discuss with your medical team the problem of
lactic acidosis described in the prescribing information. It only
happens in 1 out of 33,000 people, but you might be the one. Your
medicine should not be making you sick.
http://www.glucophage.com/

Jude

--

Jude Crouch (jcr...@pobox.com) - Computing since 1967!
- Coming Soon - BestOrgs.NET

RUTHIEGAL

May 22, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/22/00
>what is "t.i.d"?

T.I.D. means three times a day... its medical shorthand, if you have others to
decipher let me know, I'm a nurse(although not currently working as one) and
know most of em :)

Ruthie
Up here in Michigan.

@--->-----
Friends multiply joy and divide sorrow!
and.......
Just remember...if the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off. <G>

J.C. Hartmann

May 22, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/22/00
Latin (med-speak) for three times per day.
Jim

wombn wrote:

> what is "t.i.d"?
>
> On Sat, 20 May 2000 23:54:16 -0500, in alt.support.diabetes, J.C. Hartmann
> said:
>
> >T-2/t.i.d./5.0
> >Jim

Jennifer

May 22, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/22/00
> > Karen, please read and discuss with your medical team the problem of
> > lactic acidosis described in the prescribing information. It only
> > happens in 1 out of 33,000 people, but you might be the one. Your
> > medicine should not be making you sick.
>
> I thought that people often felt ill when first taking Glucophage? I
> did talk with my doctor after the first pill, and she didn't seem to
> find anything remarkable in my report. (Nausea and dizzines, mostly.)
>
> Karen

Yes. Many people find they have to ramp up their dose of Glucophage slowly or they
get gastrointestinal problems.

You should read the page Jude suggested just so you know the symptoms of
lactoacidosis... but I doubt you have it, because you wouldn't survive it for weeks
and weeks.

Jennifer

Jennifer

May 22, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/22/00
While I've never heard of Glucophage causing depression... it's not beyond the realm of
possibility.

However, if you were just recently diagnosed... it could be a reaction to that. It's a
very common thing. Common, but unpleasant ; )

In any case, obviously, if it continues to a point where it disrupts your life, talk to
your doctor about it.

Hang in... life does return to almost normal ; )

Jennifer

Karen Kay wrote:

> One of the things that concerns me is that Glucophage seems to make me
> depressed. I haven't been able to find anything about this anywhere.
> Has anyone else felt this? Depression is not a natural state for me,
> so it's pretty pronounced.
>
> Karen

Krin Collins

May 22, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/22/00
My boyfriend finally saw the pricetag on the glucose test strips tonight at
the pharmacy when I bought my special aspirin thingies. When I told him
that they expire if not used within 3 months of being opened, he said...
"We're going to start testing you all the time then, to get the money's
worth". OUCH!!!! Now that's not the type of support I was looking
for!!! HELP! ;)

Krin, winking

Steve <dal...@gwi.net> wrote in message news:3928A7F7...@gwi.net...
> ok, so every five minutes is not out of the question? :)
>
> Steve
>
> Jennifer wrote:
>
> > Steve...
> >
> > There is really only one way to determine what works for
> > you and that is to use your body as a science experiment.
> >
> > For anyone beginning to take control of their
> > diabetes. TEST TEST TEST.
> >
> > You need to find out what food and exercise do to you. What your body
does
> > under stress. Where your trouble spots lie and where you're doing
fine.
> > And testing often at the beginning is the only way.
> >
> > Then continue to test at what every frequency you feel is necessary to
stay in
> > control. For some people, testing often, even after control is
achieved, keeps
> > them on the straight and narrow. Use whatever works for you.
> >
> > There is no right answer to the question of how often to test.
> >
> > Jennifer

> > Steve wrote:
> >
> > > Im glad you said that. I just got my meter Thursday, and I find that
Im testing
> > > more than the twice a day my doctor recommended. I want to get a grasp
of my
> > > numbers...does that make sense?
> > >

> > > Steve
> > >
> > > Steve

Krin Collins

May 22, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/22/00

wombn <NOwom...@mindspring.com> wrote in message
> On Sun, 21 May 2000 09:42:13 -0400, in alt.support.diabetes, Krin Collins
> said:
>
> >done is 3 times in a day, and that was when I did the bike ride where I
had
> >a low sugar from exerting too hard without warming up enough.
>
> I don't think warming up more will change that.

Womby,

I sure don't know for sure. That's just what the dietician's take on it
was. The doctor (the one with no personality) didn't raise an eyebrow or
grace me with an opinion. I was also told to eat within 1-1.5 hours prior
to the exertion (for extra hard workouts --- hikes, bike rides... anything
where I'll be going more than 40 minutes-Hour). And to take fruit & trail
mix with me, and stop to test if I feel odd. Rest when I need. No
marathon efforts. It's hard, though, for I really tend to over push when
I'm with others who can do a more strenuous pace. It's my personality. I
just have to irritate those I'm with, sometimes, though, and ask them if I
can stop and rest, and if they don't mind waiting with me. My boyfriend
will typically stop, but the TYpe I diabetic friend I used to hike with
would just keep going & leave me in the dust. He was in better physical
shape, ironically. Plus men have more muscle mass naturally, so they manage
better, in my opinion. I hate being left behind, so often when I felt like
hell, I'd slow down to a snail's pace, but I would seldom stop to rest. It
was too depressing to be alone, plus my dog didn't like it & would wear
herself out running the 1/4-1/2 mile up the mountain to my friend, and then
turning to run back to me, anxious about the separation. Poor gal. She is
like Lassie or something. But at age 12, she's not up to that sort of
running in the mountains.

Krin

Krin Collins

May 22, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/22/00
Karen,

I can RELATE to stress & depression. Watch out & keep us posted.

Multiply Stressed & Nominally Depressed (but only here & there & doing okay
tonight)

Karen Kay <ka...@wordwrite.com> wrote in message

> Jennifer <jenn...@nospamearthlink.net> wrote:
> > While I've never heard of Glucophage causing depression... it's not
beyond the realm of
> > possibility.
>
> > However, if you were just recently diagnosed... it could be a reaction
to that. It's a
> > very common thing. Common, but unpleasant ; )
>

> Nope--it's clearly related to the drug as far as I can tell. (It came
> on with the drug and lifted when the drug left my system.) I've had
> drug-induced depression before.

> > In any case, obviously, if it continues to a point where it disrupts
your life, talk to
> > your doctor about it.
>

> Yup. Mostly I'm just watching it now.

> > Hang in... life does return to almost normal ; )
>

> In the next 3 months I have to complete the documentation for a major
> software release, leave the apt and the area I've been living in for
> the past six and a half years, find a new apt., and find a new job.
>
> No stress, here.:) (This is why I've started on Glucophage--the idea
> of trying to control my bg through diet and exercise when all this is
> going on seemed far too difficult.)
>
> Karen

Krin Collins

May 22, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/22/00
I'm not sure Loretta's broken keyboard will allow for smileys?? :) We
may have to figure out an alternative 'kidding' symbol for her,eh?

Krin

> On Sun, 21 May 2000 17:53:28 -0400 (EDT), in alt.support.diabetes, Loretta
> Eisenberg said:
>
> >Jennifer.
> >
> >I.found.a.response.to.this.post.in.remarq.
> >

>Honey.if.I.were.serious.I.would.not.use.yiddish.words...I.would.have.come.r
ight.out.and.said.I.think.you.are.nuts../but.after.reading.my.whole.post.doe
s.that.seem.i
> >incongruous.to.what.I.previously.wrote.I
>
>was.kidding.around.I.am.sorry.if.you.took.offense.because.any.one.who,knows
.me.

>in.this.group.knows.I.try.to.bring.humor.to.everything.and.I.am.never.means
pirtited.
> >So.again.Jennifer,it.was.not.meant.to.upset.you.unless.it.hit.a/nerve.
> >
> Smileys help a LOT with that.
>
> --
> Type 1 since 10/99, 6L & variable R (using GentleJet) since Mar 00
> "never give in", Winston Churchill. "or find another way", wombn
> http://www.mindspring.com/~wombn

RUTHIEGAL

May 23, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/23/00
>I'm not sure Loretta's broken keyboard will allow for smileys?? :) We
>may have to figure out an alternative 'kidding' symbol

>for her,eh?

Not sure if it will either, but I sure do admire her determination to keep on
posting.... Loretta.... You Go Girl!!

Scott Blair

May 23, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/23/00
roflmao.........now 'poking' takes on a new meaning? de devil made me do
that, Krin.....

"Krin Collins" <krinc...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Brenda Hoffman

May 23, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/23/00
I've read quite a few of the answers on this subject and have to agree
if you can afford the cost of the strips and are new at this testing
bit,you are better off to test a minimum of three times a day but more
often isn't unheard of. When I first started this testing bit I was not
on Medicare and they didn't have all the advantages then that they do
now. I tested quite often even when I had to lay out the money for the
strips and oher supplies. Because I am type 2 and not on any meds for DM
the endocrinologist that I go to only approves twice a day for me and
that is how many strips I get for free from the company I deal with in
Boca Raton,Fl. However, when I am getting low on supplies, I simply call
the 800 telephone number and they send me down more,no questions. They
bill Medicare and it hasn't cost me anything for the lancets or the
strips since the government approved this for all diabetics,even the
type 2's. If you can afford it, and you don't mind the finger stick,
keep testing as long as you feel you are getting information necessary
to your upkeep. As I stated in a previous post, weare adults and can
reason what is reasonable. Best of luck and good health to us all.

Jude Crouch

May 23, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/23/00
Karen Kay <ka...@wordwrite.com> wrote:

> Jude Crouch <jcr...@pobox.com> wrote:
>> Karen Kay <ka...@wordwrite.com> wrote:

>>> It does to me. When I first went to the endocrinologist, she wanted to

>>> put me on drugs right away, and I told her no, absolutely not, that I
>>> needed to see what was going on.

>>> So I went back a month later and said, okay, let's try the drugs. She
>>> laughed at me (in a nice way) and said "I could have told you", and I
>>> explained to her that her telling me doesn't make me internalize that
>>> information in the same way as seeing the numbers on my meter does.

>>> I started on Glucophage and it made me incredibly ill. I started with
>>> one 500mg pill, then with halves, and that was still too much. Then I
>>> tried 1/4 pills, and while that had no effect on my blood sugar, I was
>>> able to tolerate it. This weekend I went back to 1/2 pills, and today
>>> I upped it to two half-pills. Even 1/2 pill seems to have a positive
>>> effect on my blood sugar.

>> Karen, please read and discuss with your medical team the problem of

>> lactic acidosis described in the prescribing information. It only
>> happens in 1 out of 33,000 people, but you might be the one. Your
>> medicine should not be making you sick.

> I thought that people often felt ill when first taking Glucophage? I
> did talk with my doctor after the first pill, and she didn't seem to
> find anything remarkable in my report. (Nausea and dizzines, mostly.)

This was the part that raised a red flag for me:

>>> I started on Glucophage and it made me incredibly ill. ...
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I haven't seen dizziness listed as an adverse reaction. Most people
starting Glucophage (metformin) have diarrhea or nausea, which reduces
over time, then the dosage can be increased. About 4% discontinue use
of Glucophage because of these reactions.

I only know one person who suffered from lactic acidosis, Salford Viv
from Manchester, England, if you'd like to contact her, she's listed
on page 3 of our photo gallery http://SweetBlood.org . The photo is
linked to her email address.

Best health to you.

Jude Crouch

May 23, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/23/00
Karen Kay <ka...@wordwrite.com> wrote:

> Jennifer <jenn...@nospamearthlink.net> wrote:
>> Yes. Many people find they have to ramp up their dose of Glucophage slowly or they
>> get gastrointestinal problems.

> Yeah. I gather that not many people have to start at a quarter pill,
> though. Anyway, I'm up to 1/2 pill twice/day and my FBG was 113 this
> morning, the lowest it's ever been, so I remain optimistic.

>> You should read the page Jude suggested just so you know the symptoms of
>> lactoacidosis... but I doubt you have it, because you wouldn't survive it for weeks
>> and weeks.

> I have read the list of symptoms several times.

> One of the things that concerns me is that Glucophage seems to make me
> depressed. I haven't been able to find anything about this anywhere.
> Has anyone else felt this? Depression is not a natural state for me,
> so it's pretty pronounced.

Another symptom that is usually not associated with Glucophage. I'm not
saying it's not happening in your situation, just that is not usually
associated.

With several undesireable effects, perhaps you should investigate other
drugs (with your medical team) that may be better suited to you. Here's
a link to a layman's description of the various options:
http://www.diabetes.org/ada/c30c.asp

Good luck!

Jude Crouch

May 23, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/23/00
Krin Collins <krinc...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> My boyfriend finally saw the pricetag on the glucose test strips tonight at
> the pharmacy when I bought my special aspirin thingies. When I told him
> that they expire if not used within 3 months of being opened, he said...
> "We're going to start testing you all the time then, to get the money's
> worth". OUCH!!!! Now that's not the type of support I was looking
> for!!! HELP! ;)

I wonder what brand that is? My Accu-Check Comfort Curve strips have no
warning like that.

Jude

Bonita

May 23, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/23/00
Jude, I also suffered from lactic acidosis, now confirmed by my new endo. I
described the symptoms to him (and my previous quack doc made me try twice
on Glucophage), but within the first week, there's incredible muscle
weakness and aches, stomach cramping, flu-like problems and low grade temp.
By end of second week, I felt like I was literally going to die. Breathing
was difficult, stayed in bed most of the time due to muscle aches and
cramping. It's just awful! I've gone to three weeks before throwing the
meds in the trash, but by then, I was ready to trash my doc along with it.
The junk was killing me!

Bonita

"Jude Crouch" <jcr...@pobox.com> wrote in message

> Karen Kay <ka...@wordwrite.com> wrote:
> > Jude Crouch <jcr...@pobox.com> wrote:

Im testing

Loretta Eisenberg

May 23, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/23/00
Ruthie

Thank.you.so.much.for.mentiolning.my.
tenacity.to.keep.posting..I.am.getting.
pretty.adept.at.this.method.

I.hope.that.I.remember.how.to.use.the.
space.bar.when.my.new.keyboard.arrives.
today.

Loretta

RUTHIEGAL

May 23, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/23/00
Loretta,

If ya don't I don't think I'd mind I'm kinda getting used to *your* keyborading
style :)) I remember trying to type like this....
justforfunwithnospacestodrivefriendscrazyanditsnoteasytodo!.... anyway.. thanks
for hanging in there I don't post often, but have been having lots of problems
with crazy all over the place blood sugars, and reading here helps me try new
ways of getting it all in control again.... thanks.

Carol Pettit

May 23, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/23/00
When my nephew was about 2 1/2 (anyway, not yet 3), his mother was
pregnant with his sister. He went to lunch one day with my brother (his
father) and a rather straight-laced associate. During the lunch, the
associate said, "I hear your mama has a baby growing in her belly." My
nephew agreed that it was so. Then the IDIOT asked, "How do you think
that baby got inside Mama's belly?" To which my nephew immediately
responded, "Daddy poked her." My brother was mortified. I told him
that it served the guy right...asking such a question!

Carol P.

Scott Blair wrote:

> roflmao.........now 'poking' takes on a new meaning? de devil made me do
> that, Krin.....
>
> "Krin Collins" <krinc...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> > My boyfriend finally saw the pricetag on the glucose test strips tonight
> at
> > the pharmacy when I bought my special aspirin thingies. When I told him
> > that they expire if not used within 3 months of being opened, he said...
> > "We're going to start testing you all the time then, to get the money's
> > worth". OUCH!!!! Now that's not the type of support I was looking
> > for!!! HELP! ;)
> >

> > Krin, winking
> >
> > Steve <dal...@gwi.net> wrote in message news:3928A7F7...@gwi.net...
> > > ok, so every five minutes is not out of the question? :)
> > >
> > > Steve

> > does
> > fine.

> > stay in
> > achieved, keeps

> > Im testing
> grasp
> > of my

Scott Blair

May 23, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/23/00
Carol,
I love the poking comment!!!!! Out of the mouths of babes!!!

I wish life were as honest as kids :)

and................who said it was the terrible 2's??? <BG>

Krin Collins

May 23, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/23/00
Karen,

My blood clot stress is now in 3rd place below my cervical biopsy concerns &
my 'have to find a new place to rent soon, with 4 permanent dogs & a
temporary dog who needs to find another home now that his health is better'
stresses.

Anyone need a rambunctious male 1-2 year-old retriever mix dog?? Womby??
We'll find the transport if anyone wants him. He needs lots of love &
patience & obedience training. *sigh* We're trying some mixed-breed &
retriever rescue groups online, but we don't have as much time as we'd hoped
(to find him a home). His name is Trevor, and I can point you to photos of
him on the web if anyone cares to see the fellow.

Krin

> Krin Collins <krinc...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> > Karen,
>
> > I can RELATE to stress & depression. Watch out & keep us posted.
>

> Thanks.

> > Multiply Stressed & Nominally Depressed (but only here & there & doing
okay
> > tonight)
>

> This whole blood clot thing is troubling, but it sounds much more
> copable than, oh, an inoperable tumor.
>
> Karen

Krin Collins

May 23, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/23/00
Jude,

I learned that in a diabetes class, I think. Or maybe it was in the
literature that came with either my new meter, or with the strips. I
definitely heard or read it somewhere very recently. Maybe it's not the
same situation with all strips, and like you, I am using the Accu-Check
Comfort Curve strips now. I started out with something else. I think it
bears some investigation by one or many of us, to be sure we're doing the
right thing. It won't matter for the daily testers so much, but it gets
more expensive to NOT test if you can't use 50 strips in 90 days (after
opening the new container the first time).

Krin

> Krin Collins <krinc...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> > My boyfriend finally saw the pricetag on the glucose test strips tonight
at
> > the pharmacy when I bought my special aspirin thingies. When I told him
> > that they expire if not used within 3 months of being opened, he said...
> > "We're going to start testing you all the time then, to get the money's
> > worth". OUCH!!!! Now that's not the type of support I was looking
> > for!!! HELP! ;)
>

> I wonder what brand that is? My Accu-Check Comfort Curve strips have no
> warning like that.
>

> Jude

Carol Pettit

May 23, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/23/00
Okay...I've got a question how are most test strips packaged?
Apparently the Accu-check strips come in a container where they are
exposed to air once the original container is opened? The Glucometer
Elite strips are individually sealed in foil packets. (I found the
regular Elite meter on sale at Kroger yesterday for $30 with a $20
rebate, so went ahead and got it...figured even if I didn't like it, for
$10, it was a good back up. It only came with 10 strips, so today I
bought more. Found out yesterday that Kroger's price on 100 strips was
cheaper than Costco's online price. Checked at the Costco store today
and they were still more expensive [even after I mentioned Kroger's
price] so I figured I'd save the money and get them when we stopped at
Kroger for selzter water on the way home. It was a different Kroger.
They didn't have 100 strip packs, but had 50 AND had coupons for $5 off
per box, so I ended up getting 100 strips for $6 less than they would
have been at the first Kroger and about $9 less than at Kroger...and the
expiration date on them is April 2001!) What about the Precision strips
and the ones for LifeScan? Are they individually packaged or bulk
packaged?

(BTW, the worst number of the day was 128...that was two hours after
breakfast...a pimento cheese sandwich on wheat bread and a banana...I
figure around 50 - 55 carbs [it was one large slice of homemade bread],
...figured now that I had a meter, I'd test the upper carb levels...I
guess I'm doing okay...)

Carol P.

Carol Schwaderer Dickinson

May 23, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/23/00
Scott Blair wrote:

> Carol,
> I love the poking comment!!!!! Out of the mouths of babes!!!
>
> I wish life were as honest as kids :)
>
> and................who said it was the terrible 2's??? <BG>

Dunno. My kid was equally as cute and precocious at 2. It was the
terrible threes, fearsome fours and beyond that did me in.

With the loss of our only son, we will never be grandparents, but have
been adopted as surrogate grandparents by a family in our grief group.

And I just have to share this anecdote sent by mail since they are in
quarantine and I'm battling Epstein Barr and haven't been able to visit
in person since Thanksgiving.

John (the oldest living child age 7) has a small job reading Emily (#7
age 2) a story at naptime and bedtime. A few nights ago he was
impatient to get her to sleep. I quietly explained that girls have
invisible antennae that alert them when boys don't think kind thoughts
about them. Suggesting that he should think nice thoughts of her and how
much he enjoys reading to her. His father confirmed what I was telling
him was true. He said he understood and quickly went back to her room.
A few minutes later he came out and handed (Dad) the antennae. "Here,"
he said. "I broke them off!"

Carol

Carol Schwaderer Dickinson

May 23, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/23/00

\

When I told him
> > > that they expire if not used within 3 months of being opened,

My strips are Lifescan. I couldn't find the information with a quick
check just now, but mine do expire after I think 30 days My bottles have
an expiration date blank I'm supposed to fill in when I open them, but
since I use up a bottle in about a week on average (25 strip in 7 days)
I never have bothered with writing it in.

I suspect its in the paper in the box of strips because I didn't find it
in the manual.

Carol D.

Scott Blair

May 23, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/23/00
Kids are great........if you survive em........LOL

"Carol Schwaderer Dickinson" <dd...@alaska.net> wrote in message

Carol Schwaderer Dickinson

May 23, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/23/00
Carol Pettit wrote:

> Okay...I've got a question how are most test strips packaged?
> Apparently the Accu-check strips come in a container where they are
> exposed to air once the original container is opened?

My lifescan strips come in a brown plastic bottle with a lid. There is
air in the bottle before it is opened. It says don't expose them to
light, heat over 80 degrees, or cold under 65 degrees.

Carol D.

Carol Schwaderer Dickinson

May 23, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/23/00
> >Anyone need a rambunctious male 1-2 year-old retriever mix dog?? Womby??
> >We'll find the transport if anyone wants him. He needs lots of love &
> >patience & obedience training. *sigh* We're trying some mixed-breed &
> >retriever rescue groups online, but we don't have as much time as we'd hoped
> >(to find him a home).

Try rec.pets.dogs.rescue

Carol

Jude Crouch

May 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/24/00
Krin Collins <krinc...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Jude,

> I learned that in a diabetes class, I think. Or maybe it was in the
> literature that came with either my new meter, or with the strips. I
> definitely heard or read it somewhere very recently. Maybe it's not the
> same situation with all strips, and like you, I am using the Accu-Check

> Comfort Curve strips now. I started out with something else. I think it
> bears some investigation by one or many of us, to be sure we're doing the
> right thing. It won't matter for the daily testers so much, but it gets
> more expensive to NOT test if you can't use 50 strips in 90 days (after
> opening the new container the first time).

I think you may have this confused with the blue glucose testing solution.
That *does* have a 90-day expiration once it is opened. Other than
the expiration that's on each bottle of strips, the other important
things are to keep the bottle capped, don't let them freeze, and keep
them below 90 degrees (32C).

Jude

Carol Pettit

May 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/24/00
wombn wrote:

> I would love to, hubby would love to. Landlord probably would not love to.
> Bruno probably wouldn't be thrilled either. He barely tolerates my
> brother's dog when she visits. And he comes to blows with any other dog he
> happens to meet. We've now finally decided that HE started the fight with
> the 2 pits that ripped him to shreds and landed him in the SPCA. We have
> to watch him like a hawk when brother's dog is here. She does her best to
> avoid him, but I wouldn't say being here is a pleasant thing for her
> anymore.

Wombn...Bruno's part Belgian, correct? Friends of ours had a Belgian
who attacked any other dog he ever came in contact with (with the
exception of her parents' German Shepard). They took him for all sorts
of training, but he never got over it. Their NEXT dog, also a Belgian,
was fine with other dogs, but did fear biting of virtually all people
(exceptions...my friend, her husband, and her father). It was sad...he
wanted to be friends and would approach, but when he got within a couple
of feet would just panic.

Both dogs had severe health problems ultimately and died at early ages.
Now she has a new dog...a Teruvian (which is a type of Belgian, I
gather, but not supposed to have as many problems). I tried and tried
to convince her to go with a nice, stable, mixed breed...but...no
go...so I stand back and shake my head indulgently!

Anyway, I thought that perhaps knowing that the Belgian lines may
contribute to the dog aggression might help you.

Carol P.

Krin Collins

May 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/24/00
Hey Jude,

If they are exposed to 90 degree temps for just a short period (i.e. during
a hike, or in my car while I run in the store), should I distrust them? I
forgot & left them in the car for 20 minutes the other day, in my bag. I
use the AccuChek Comfort Curve type, and they are under a month old.

Thanks for the info about the solution being kept to 90 days. You may be
correct. I'll try to get that info next time I have a class, just to be
certain. I'm feeling less confident about what I have heard in classes the
first few times, because when I'm under stress, my concentration & listening
skills are lessened. I get distracted easily & don't hear what I'm
listening to, even if it's the answer to a question I just asked someone!
I think it's from stress. It might be a diabetes thing, too. Or fatigue.
It drives my boyfriend crazy, when I admit to not hearing something he's
said. I am trying to quit that, but it seems out of my control. I'm not
sure what's up with it. I do better with the newsgroup. Reading is
different than listening. At least I hope I'm doing better here. You guys
can straighten me out if you see I am not retaining what I've been told.

Krin

Jude Crouch <jcr...@pobox.com> wrote in message

Scott Blair

May 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/24/00
Krin

Call the manufacturer of your strips and ask them. I bet they will send you
a replacement if they feel they were hurt by being in the car.

"Krin Collins" <krinc...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Carol Pettit

May 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/24/00
I don't know about the AccuCheck, but the OneTouch strips say (in the
package insert and in the instructions for the meter) that they are to
be discarded 90 days after opening. (The control solution ALSO says
discard 90 days after opening.)

BTW, I responded to the "Free LifeScan meter" offer that was made on
mhd. I got the Glucometer a couple of days ago because I had thought
(from the e-mail I'd gotten) that it would be at least another week
before I got the free FastTake. The pharmacist included a note that
said that she was going to be able to offer free meters through the end
of June and to feel free to tell friends, so...go to dejanews and find
the message on mhd...it was posted May 11 I think. At the moment, I
sort of like the Glucometer better, but have only used the LifeScan
once.

Carol P.

Krin Collins

May 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/24/00

> Krin Collins <krinc...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> > Thanks for the info about the solution being kept to 90 days. You may
be
> > correct. I'll try to get that info next time I have a class, just to be
> > certain. I'm feeling less confident about what I have heard in classes
the
> > first few times, because when I'm under stress, my concentration &
listening
> > skills are lessened. I get distracted easily & don't hear what I'm
> > listening to, even if it's the answer to a question I just asked
someone!

> Heavens, I am so used to this. Charlie does this all the time. It drives
> me crazy. He'll say "I'm going to the stroe, do you need anything?" I'll
> say no, I'm just fine. Five minutes later he'll ask me the same thing.
> Then five minutes after that ask me again! It's a good thing I love him
> a bunch.

Jude,

Thanks for the tip about saving containers. I've got to get the first one
emptied first, but I will sure do that. Of course, where I live isn't air
conditioned & may reach at least 80-85 degrees this summer during the day
hours. But still it's better than the inside of a car on a sunny day in
summer, where it might be way over 100. Not that bad here yet, but it's
thinking about it.

And I do remember asking Dave questions, but then I realize I never heard
his answer. I want to slap myself, so I know Dave hates it. He might love
me a bunch, too, though, for he just shakes his head & repeats himself. I
didn't used to have this. It's relatively new (memory probs). It makes me
wonder, though. I mostly think stress is my problem, though. I've had a
lot the last year, and more than usual since this year got underway.

Less than a month & I turn 35. So young to be so nutty, I know.

Krin

Carol Pettit

May 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/24/00
Not my mom's dogs...a friend's...unfortunately, at the moment my
computer's display isn't good enough for me to make out much in the way
of details when I look at pics of Bruno.

You refer to GSD...I've been assuming you meant German Shepard, but I
can't figure out the "D"

The Belgians my friend had were big solid black dogs...very pretty and
Captain was a real sweetheart with people. Somewhat coarse "fluffy"
fur. The Teruvian I've not yet even seen, except a few pics on a
website. Dog Fancy magazine had an article on one particular breed in
the "family" a couple of months or so ago...I saw it at the vet's. You
might check at the library.

Carol P.

wombn wrote:

> It does help to know that.
>
> And Bruno was obviously poorly bred: He seems to have some hip dysplaysia,
> though we haven't gotten him xrayed and officially diagnosed. The vet did
> a little test , sort of what I think of as analogous to our reflex tests.
> She pulled his back foot backwards and placed it toe-down so see how
> quickly he moved it back to a normal position. He moved his left foot back
> much more slowly, which she said is possibly indicative of dysplaysia.
> Poor guy. So much energy and no easy way to expend it all. Sometimes,
> when he's stiffest and has trouble moving around, he'll chew his chewie til
> his gums bleed, so we have to take that away for awhile now and then. The
> only really good way to expend his energy is straight running, no jumping
> around or changing directions quickly. No way could I keep up with him, so
> he has to depend solely on hubby (who is a runner) for his exercise.
>
> We're not entirely certain what all is mixed in with him. Definitely some
> GSD, but with the coloring and ruff of a Belgian or maybe Teruvian. He's
> also quite large (82 lbs). His head shape appears (to my untrained eyes)
> as purely GSD though, compared to pictures of Belgians and Teruvians I've
> found online.
>
> Hey, maybe you could look at his pics and tell me if he looks like your
> mom's dogs?
>
> http://www.mindspring.com/~wombn/Animals/Animals.htm
>
> --
> Type 1 since 10/99, ~6L & variable R (using GentleJet) since Mar 00
> "never give in", Winston Churchill. "or find another way", wombn
> http://www.mindspring.com/~wombn

Jude Crouch

May 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/25/00
Krin Collins <krinc...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> And I do remember asking Dave questions, but then I realize I never heard
> his answer. I want to slap myself, so I know Dave hates it. He might love
> me a bunch, too, though, for he just shakes his head & repeats himself. I
> didn't used to have this. It's relatively new (memory probs). It makes me
> wonder, though. I mostly think stress is my problem, though. I've had a
> lot the last year, and more than usual since this year got underway.

> Less than a month & I turn 35. So young to be so nutty, I know.

Ah, Charlie's been that way since I met him. I guess it's 27 or 28 years
now. I probably would have ditched him long ago if he wasn't so damn
cute (just joking about ditching him).

Jude

Jude Crouch

May 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/25/00
Krin Collins <krinc...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Hey Jude,

> If they are exposed to 90 degree temps for just a short period (i.e. during
> a hike, or in my car while I run in the store), should I distrust them? I
> forgot & left them in the car for 20 minutes the other day, in my bag. I
> use the AccuChek Comfort Curve type, and they are under a month old.

Depending on the conditions, they are probably alright. But I'll give
you some helpful (I hope) advice. Save your old containers, and transfer
10 strips into it. Leave the rest at home. Refill when necessary. That
way if you spoil some, you aren't spoiling the entire batch.

> Thanks for the info about the solution being kept to 90 days. You may be
> correct. I'll try to get that info next time I have a class, just to be
> certain. I'm feeling less confident about what I have heard in classes the
> first few times, because when I'm under stress, my concentration & listening
> skills are lessened. I get distracted easily & don't hear what I'm
> listening to, even if it's the answer to a question I just asked someone!

Heavens, I am so used to this. Charlie does this all the time. It drives

me crazy. He'll say "I'm going to the stroe, do you need anything?" I'll
say no, I'm just fine. Five minutes later he'll ask me the same thing.
Then five minutes after that ask me again! It's a good thing I love him
a bunch.

Jude

Krin Collins

May 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/25/00
Womby,

I DO wonder if we're related! Isn't it a pain to have a problem that you
can't control? I'm glad your husband has a sense of humor about your
attention problem. I would tell DAve about it, but I'd pay for that. As
it is, he laughs when I start falling asleep as a passenger in the car, with
my head bobbing & all. I don't need to give him more ammunition, do I?

Krin

Tiger Lily

May 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/25/00
more Terv than GSD........ e-mail later for ??? about structure

--
k t1 13 yr