Making changes

Jolanna

Dec 15, 2006, 9:22:51 PM12/15/06
Last week I saw my PCP again, and this time we talked about the
effects of my meds and my numbers. She again told me how proud she is
of me taking control of my health and reading reports, etc.

I told her about how I often get a bellyache of an evening and have to
take Tums. I was wondering if it was due to the overlap of the two
1000mg Metformin doses which are not 12 hours apart. I take them with
breakfast and supper, usually about 9-10 hours apart.

And I discussed my concerns of the Lantus wearing off before I even
have supper and often get high numbers.

So she told me she trusted me and to just play around with my meds
carefully.

So I thought about it extensively. I have decided to take only half a
Metformin of a morning when I eat eggs; but a whole one when i eat
cereal. And do the same for supper. Like with fish and a salad I don't
need a whole one.

And I changed the Lantus to a morning dose instead of bedtime. And, Lo
and Behold! My FBG was only 101 with no Lantus in me! And now I have
Lantus to cover my supper. This time it was only 132 instead of much
higher. I had a small bowl of chicken and brown rice with veggies and
a few crackers and cheese. Not a bad number for the carbs, I think.
Tomorrow I am having roast chicken and a salad. I should have a nice
low number, even with sweet and spicy dressing.

I have also conquered the big hurdle! I weigh 198! I haven't weighed
that low in more than 20 years! Hurray!! Can you tell I am excited?

--

Jolanna
DM TYPE II

Cheri

Dec 15, 2006, 9:48:53 PM12/15/06
Congratulations on the weight loss Jolanna. I'm sure you're thrilled.
:-)

--
Cheri

Jolanna wrote in message ...

Message has been deleted

La...@notmy.com

Dec 15, 2006, 11:36:42 PM12/15/06
On Fri, 15 Dec 2006 22:02:51 -0500, Susan <neve...@nomail.com>
wrote:

>x-no-archive: yes

>Wow, Jolanna, good for you! Sounds like you're paying attention to your
>body, your results and getting the rewards for it.
>
>Susan

Jolanna,
What great news for you. Weight loss is really tough, but I think you
really have a handle on it. It also sounds like you have a very
supportive doctor which can make all the difference.

Julie Bove

Dec 16, 2006, 1:20:44 AM12/16/06

"Jolanna" <jol...@drop.me.fairpoint.net> wrote in message

<snip>

> So I thought about it extensively. I have decided to take only half a
> Metformin of a morning when I eat eggs; but a whole one when i eat
> cereal. And do the same for supper. Like with fish and a salad I don't
> need a whole one.

<snip>

Not a good move! Metformin isn't a fast acting med. All you'll do by doing
that is cause yourself high BG the following day or two at some time.

--
See my webpage:

Jackie Patti

Dec 16, 2006, 12:12:43 PM12/16/06
The changes you're making are awesome!

I had a doctor like yours once, who encouraged me to make minor changes
on my own and report back what was working. I did all sorts of
experiments to learn what worked best for me, changing diet, exercise
times, etc.

It's really amazing how much more control you can get when you
experiment about what really works for you individually. Research only
provides information about what works on average. It gives you good
information about what to try. But what works for you individually is
much more important that what research says and you can only find out by
trying yourself.

I don't think this is a criticism of doctors per se, because some
doctors are good, and some doctors are bad, but *none* of them can move
in with you and test you around the clock and really find out what works
best for you. Well, unless you have a doctor in the family! The best
they can do is give you the tools to be capable of finding out for yourself.

IMO, there's so much to be discovered and worked out for each individual
that it pretty much takes the patient doing the experimenting to find out.

Gantlet

Dec 16, 2006, 12:22:06 PM12/16/06

"Jolanna" <jol...@drop.me.fairpoint.net> wrote in message

> I have also conquered the big hurdle! I weigh 198! I haven't weighed

> that low in more than 20 years! Hurray!! Can you tell I am excited?
>
> --
>
> Jolanna

Great for you :).
I have one of those double beam style scales. i love when i have to move
the weights over when i loose weight :).
keep it up you can do it.

Tom

Nicky

Dec 16, 2006, 4:31:15 PM12/16/06

"Jolanna" <jol...@drop.me.fairpoint.net> wrote in message
> I have also conquered the big hurdle! I weigh 198! I haven't weighed
> that low in more than 20 years! Hurray!! Can you tell I am excited?

GOOD for you, Jolanna! Gaining control in leaps and bounds all over the
place!

Nicky.

--
A1c 10.5/5.5/<6 T2 DX 05/2004
100ug Thyroxine

W. Baker

Dec 16, 2006, 4:50:41 PM12/16/06
Jolanna <jol...@drop.me.fairpoint.net> wrote:
: Last week I saw my PCP again, and this time we talked about the

: --

Jolanna,

Couple of thoughts here. If all you get is a Tums fixable tummy ache with
your metformin tht is mild. I had the running runs any place , anytime.
until I went on the extended release form and then, like magic, it
stopped!!! doesn't work for everyone, but is worth a try.

I said a couple of thoughts so here is thought 2-Playing around with dose
sizes of metformin depending on your meal content is not likely to work.
metfromin s a rather slower acting med than many others (I am not familiar
with the acting speed of Avandia). changes in dosage are not seen
immediately, but rather in several days, so your breakfast whoudl not be
the issue here. Only the short acting beta cll pushers, like Starlix and
Priandid have this kind of fast action so you can take them with a carbier
meal to keep the bg's down. Fast actin insulins can also, so some extent
do this too, although you, apparantly , have to know how fast they act in
your own case. I am not one to advise on any insulins.

OK, that's it for now. Keep u the good work.

Wendy

Jolanna

Dec 16, 2006, 10:15:33 PM12/16/06
On Sat, 16 Dec 2006 21:50:41 +0000 (UTC), "W. Baker"
<wba...@panix.com> wrote:

>Jolanna <jol...@drop.me.fairpoint.net> wrote:
>:

>Jolanna,
>
>Couple of thoughts here. If all you get is a Tums fixable tummy ache with
>your metformin tht is mild. I had the running runs any place , anytime.
>until I went on the extended release form and then, like magic, it
>stopped!!! doesn't work for everyone, but is worth a try.
>
>I said a couple of thoughts so here is thought 2-Playing around with dose
>sizes of metformin depending on your meal content is not likely to work.
>metfromin s a rather slower acting med than many others (I am not familiar
>with the acting speed of Avandia). changes in dosage are not seen
>immediately, but rather in several days, so your breakfast whoudl not be
>the issue here. Only the short acting beta cll pushers, like Starlix and
>Priandid have this kind of fast action so you can take them with a carbier
>meal to keep the bg's down. Fast actin insulins can also, so some extent
>do this too, although you, apparantly , have to know how fast they act in
>your own case. I am not one to advise on any insulins.
>
>OK, that's it for now. Keep u the good work.
>
>Wendy

That is what Julie Bove said, too. So maybe I should just try to
spread my pills a bit farther apart between breakfast and supper. I
have heard about some people getting the runs; but had forgotten it. I
should be grateful all I get is a bit of a bellyache and heartburn.
But the gas moving around is unconfortable.

Jolanna

Dec 16, 2006, 10:18:26 PM12/16/06

My clinic has that type of scale. the last time I was there, I moved
the weights and they just clunked. My eyes about popped! So I
gleefully moved the big weight to the 150 slot and then moved the
little one and got really excited and happy. I think they heard me in
the waiting room. ;-)

Jolanna

Dec 16, 2006, 11:01:46 PM12/16/06

That is what I have discovered. Diabetes is such an individual thing.
Like the 2 hour PP. I have discovered that is when my food peaks,
rather than wanes. Depending on the type of carbs in the meal. So I am
very glad to have the go ahead to play around with the meds a bit. But
I will be reporting to the clinic in a couple weeks. I realize DM is
progressive and there will be more changes in the future. But I hope
to be stable for a long time. I have been so fortunate not to have any
complications considering my diagnosis came with a 514 BG. And I want
to keep the complications at bay for as long as I can.

Jolanna

Dec 16, 2006, 11:03:42 PM12/16/06
On Sat, 16 Dec 2006 06:20:44 GMT, "Julie Bove" <juli...@verizon.net>
wrote:

>"Jolanna" <jol...@drop.me.fairpoint.net> wrote in message
>
><snip>
>
>> So I thought about it extensively. I have decided to take only half a
>> Metformin of a morning when I eat eggs; but a whole one when i eat
>> cereal. And do the same for supper. Like with fish and a salad I don't
>> need a whole one.
>
><snip>
>
>Not a good move! Metformin isn't a fast acting med. All you'll do by doing
>that is cause yourself high BG the following day or two at some time.

Iam grateful for the experience of people here to keep me from making
mistakes. So I have cought this one quickly. Thanks.

Jolanna

Dec 16, 2006, 11:07:11 PM12/16/06

My clinic has a doctor which I never see. It is owned by a Nurse
Practitioner with a PAC to help. The PAC is the one I see most and is
very progressive. But both ladies are great. And so is their support
staff of techs and nurses.

Jolanna

Dec 16, 2006, 11:20:14 PM12/16/06
wrote:

>x-no-archive: yes

>Wow, Jolanna, good for you! Sounds like you're paying attention to your
>body, your results and getting the rewards for it.
>
>Susan

Thanks. But there is so much I don't know about the meds that I must
be very cautious. And then let any changes settle for a couple weeks
to see how it goes. I don't like the bellyache I get with the evening
Metformin; but now I know that halving a morning dose is the wrong
thing to do. I will just get up earlier to spread the timing of the
pills farther apart so there is not that overlap in the dosage. With
10 different medicines I feel like It is a delicate balance act I am
doing here.

Jolanna

Dec 16, 2006, 11:26:57 PM12/16/06
On Fri, 15 Dec 2006 18:48:53 -0800, "Cheri" <gserviceatinreachdotcom>
wrote:

>Congratulations on the weight loss Jolanna. I'm sure you're thrilled.
>:-)

Thanks, I really am. In a way I wish I could lose 20 pounds right now
quick. But that would be a disaster. Slow and easy is best. 60 year
old skin doesn't rebound very well. ;-)

Jolanna

Dec 16, 2006, 11:31:39 PM12/16/06
On Sat, 16 Dec 2006 21:31:15 -0000, "Nicky"
<ukc802...@btconnect.com> wrote:

>"Jolanna" <jol...@drop.me.fairpoint.net> wrote in message
>> I have also conquered the big hurdle! I weigh 198! I haven't weighed
>> that low in more than 20 years! Hurray!! Can you tell I am excited?
>
>GOOD for you, Jolanna! Gaining control in leaps and bounds all over the
>place!
>
>Nicky.

Hey, it would be nice to be able to leap and bound like I did when I
was young and weighed 120. But the weight coming off is letting me be
more active. And I am very glad I now have more of the control over my
DM. Now I can fine-tune the treatment.

Michelle

Dec 16, 2006, 9:38:47 PM12/16/06
Many congrats on the weight loss, Jolanna! Woo-hoo! And it sounds like you
are on the right track with the meds. Just keep tweaking til you're
satisfied.
--
Michelle, T2
diet & exercise

bj

Dec 17, 2006, 2:43:45 PM12/17/06

> Hey, it would be nice to be able to leap and bound like I did when I
> was young and weighed 120.

I got back to the 120, but I still can't leap & bound like I could when I
was young.
Bummer.
:-) & :-(
bj

Jolanna

Dec 18, 2006, 12:34:42 PM12/18/06
On Sun, 17 Dec 2006 19:43:45 GMT, "bj" <bjon...@bellatlantic.net>
wrote:

I hear ya!! But I am sure I would have a lot more energy and stamina,
etc. if I ever managed to lose that much. Right now I would be happy
as a lark to lose another 20 pounds!

Jolanna

Dec 18, 2006, 12:40:55 PM12/18/06
On Sat, 16 Dec 2006 18:38:47 -0800, "Michelle" <bookb...@gmail.com>
wrote:

>Many congrats on the weight loss, Jolanna! Woo-hoo! And it sounds like you
>are on the right track with the meds. Just keep tweaking til you're
>satisfied.

Thanks. And since I have delayed stomach emptying, I am starting to do
my PP later now. @ hours is just the glucose peak.; but 3 hours I am
back down close to normal. I need to remember to tell my PCP about
that.

Gantlet

Dec 18, 2006, 2:37:57 PM12/18/06

"Jolanna" <jol...@drop.me.fairpoint.net> wrote in message

yep there is no better feeling in the world ( lol well ) than moving that
big weight over.
I dusted mine off today and stepped on it.
Being that I want to see a loss for tomorrow it has helped me in the foods I
have been choosing to eat. for some stepping on the scale everyday does not
work, I do find it helps me and even if its only 1lb i get to move that
weight over :).
I cant wait to see what happens tomorrow and the days to come :).

Tom

Jolanna

Dec 18, 2006, 9:31:52 PM12/18/06
On Mon, 18 Dec 2006 19:37:57 GMT, "Gantlet"
<T...@TomsDiabeticDiary.com> wrote:

I like stepping on the scale every day. that way I can see how much my
food weighs! ;-) But all I have at home is the ordinary bathroom scale
that I have to bend over to read and the weight fluctuates a bit with
the bending, so I have to straighten up and suck my gut in and peer
down my nose and hope to read the tiny lines! LOL!!
But your scale and like the one at the clinic are much easier to read
and much more satisfying moving the weight, like you say.

Gantlet

Dec 19, 2006, 12:27:22 PM12/19/06

"Jolanna" <jol...@drop.me.fairpoint.net> wrote in message

a quick fix for your current problem can be to hold a little hand held
mirror.
have someone in your family read the numbers and that just might help
motivate you.
From reading your posts I think you would really love one of these scales.
I also find that as long as i keep stepping on the scale its easy to
maintain the weight and not go up. Dont forget you not only have to lose
the weight but also keep it off.
seems like your scale is a bit of a pain.

i can not tell you how rewarding it feels to move that weight over. I lost
3lbs yesterday :). if you can get one i think it would be a big help for
you.
its the holiday season treat yourself or explain to those that will be
giving you gifts
if they can combine them and get you one of these scales. I use the Health
O Meter
and have it for close to 18 years - thats how long I have been married this
March and I am pretty sure I bought it around that time. you just dont get
the same feeling from those ity bity dont bend over or our weight moves
scales. I also find that in doing this i increase the fiber because I want
to become more regular and be pretty much empty by morning. and then i step
on the scale :). on days i eat less fiber i dont lose as much.

http://www.amazon.com/Health-Meter-402KL-Physician-Balance/dp/B0009MFUZY

reading your post is what triggered this latest motivation but I also love
to watch
"the biggest loser" Fit TV is also great to watch its even better if you do
the exercise with them.
I have also been working out for a couple of days on my funtional trainer
only doing pull downs because I am still worried about my back..

Cheri

Dec 19, 2006, 12:36:47 PM12/19/06
Congratulations on the weight loss Tom. Funny thing, my brother-in-laws
family decided not to give each other gifts, but to take the money they
would spend on each other, and buy themselves something they really
wanted, bring it wrapped to the party, or if it's too big, bring a
picture of it so the others could see what each of them really wanted.
My brother in law bought himself some really fancy fitness machine, and
my sis said "wow, nice present Dave." He said, "I was feeling very
generous this year." LOL Sometimes, maybe you just need to buy it for
yourself. :-)

--
Cheri

Jolanna

Dec 19, 2006, 8:59:51 PM12/19/06

I looked at the link you sent and gasped at the sale price. That is
beyond my means. But I might have my son look on eBay. That is where I
got my fancy $340 walker-with-seat for only $54+shipping.

I like to weigh after a good clean-out, too. And with only the
lightest of clothes. Even at the clinic I often take off my shoes to
weigh. ;-)

I have to be careful with my back, also. The exercises the therapist
gave me weren't really designed to take off weight; they were for
strengthening my back and limbs. But any kind of exercise burns
calories.

Even housework. Like when I change my sheets, it is much more of a
chore and burns more calories than it did when i was younger. Dragging
oxygen tubing around and getting my feet caught in the loops of it and
stepping on it and getting it tangled in the removal of dirty
sheets...now, that really burns the calories! Turns the air blue, too,
with the effluvium coming out my exasperated mouth!

Sweeping and vacuuming are the same type of chore and exasperation. I
don't know what would happen if the vacuum sucked up my O2 tubing!
After i am done disentangling tubing, wiring and vacuum hose I feel
like I have had a real workout. One of these days I will remember to
check my BG before and after chores just to see how much i burn.

So who needs a home gym? LOL!! But, good luck to you on yours. So how
much do you have to reach your goal? I would be happy to lose 25
pounds more.

Gantlet

Dec 20, 2006, 1:22:07 PM12/20/06

"Jolanna" <jol...@drop.me.fairpoint.net> wrote in message
> I looked at the link you sent and gasped at the sale price. That is
> beyond my means. But I might have my son look on eBay. That is where I
> got my fancy $340 walker-with-seat for only $54+shipping.

I am sure there are others sold elsewhere for much less. not really sure
how much the one i showed you costs.

> I like to weigh after a good clean-out, too. And with only the
> lightest of clothes. Even at the clinic I often take off my shoes to
> weigh. ;-)

at the Dr's office I got smacked a few times for taking off too many
clothes.
so far i am down 7lbs since I started. I did do a little watching a few
days before
but what really helped was when i put the scale in the bedroom.
Now as soon as i get up i put my slippers on and thats all I wear. (mental
note to self.
good idea to move scale away from window. )

> I have to be careful with my back, also. The exercises the therapist
> gave me weren't really designed to take off weight; they were for
> strengthening my back and limbs. But any kind of exercise burns
> calories.

this is what I have been doing lately. while i feel like my frozen shoulder
is getting better
it is still something I have to deal with. i have been getting into some
yoga.

> Even housework. Like when I change my sheets, it is much more of a
> chore and burns more calories than it did when i was younger. Dragging
> oxygen tubing around and getting my feet caught in the loops of it and
> stepping on it and getting it tangled in the removal of dirty
> sheets...now, that really burns the calories! Turns the air blue, too,
> with the effluvium coming out my exasperated mouth!

I didnt know about the ozygen tubing and stuff. its amazing how much our
bodies change as we get older.

> Sweeping and vacuuming are the same type of chore and exasperation. I
> don't know what would happen if the vacuum sucked up my O2 tubing!
> After i am done disentangling tubing, wiring and vacuum hose I feel
> like I have had a real workout. One of these days I will remember to
> check my BG before and after chores just to see how much i burn.

Well one thing is for sure. I have found that just sitting and doing
nothings
is the worst thing I could possibly be doing. I cant explain everything I
have learned
but I feel really scared for those that are young and basically just sit all
day long.
its an old saying but in my life i have found it to be oooo so true.
a body at rest will want to stay at rest - a body in motion likes to stay in
motion.

> So who needs a home gym? LOL!! But, good luck to you on yours. So how
> much do you have to reach your goal? I would be happy to lose 25
> pounds more.

> --
>
> Jolanna
> DM TYPE II
> Dx May 31, 2006
> Lantus
> Metformin
> Avandia

I would like to see the day that doing what is basically very simple chorse
become very easy for you. so easy infact that you would be ready for more
exercise. like bringing the heart rate up to true cardio levels for the
required amount of time. I would like to see that for myself as well.
although before I hurt my back the first time I was doing 30 minutes on a
stepper machine.
My goal at this point depends on my back. I am not really on a diet but
changing my life stype to become more active. I am watching what I eat and
will eat according to my scale :). I will keep my carbs at 200 per day,
reduce animal protiens and use the good fats like avocado, almonds, olives
to balance my weight loss.
at 215lbs I recieved a 100% on the firemens physical and had a 34-36 inch
waste.
I guess right now once again I am basing my diet on what I worked out with
my dietitian and just want to be able to work out again like I once did. I
am not really sure if i will be able to eat the amount of carbs needed to
build the types of muscles I once had.
part of my work out when I was 29 was walking up 57 flights of stairs with
50lbs on my back - not sure how I would be able to fuel that kind of work
out while being diabetic.
tell you the truth tho. I would really be very happy to just be able to do
the 57 flights and carry an empy back pack.
knowing I will be stepping on the scale every day does help in the food
choices I make.
and knowing I have to fuel correctly for my exercise also helps.
I am still only doing pull downs on my machine. those types of exercise
actual take weight off the back. I have a preacher curl stand that will
let me do curls with out the added weight on my back :).
so its lat pull downs, tricept curls, preacher curls, crunches and
stretches.
one thing i would like to ask you is are you able to change it all around
and get off the oxygen?

lol wow i wrote a lot.

Tom
Up Up and Away from the computer.

Jolanna

Dec 20, 2006, 7:18:47 PM12/20/06
On Wed, 20 Dec 2006 18:22:07 GMT, "Gantlet"
<T...@TomsDiabeticDiary.com> wrote:

>"Jolanna" <jol...@drop.me.fairpoint.net> wrote in message
>> I looked at the link you sent and gasped at the sale price. That is
>> beyond my means. But I might have my son look on eBay. That is where I
>> got my fancy $340 walker-with-seat for only $54+shipping.
>
>I am sure there are others sold elsewhere for much less. not really sure
>how much the one i showed you costs.

On sale for $179---down from $229.

>at the Dr's office I got smacked a few times for taking off too many
>clothes.

No, No, No, only shoes and jackets, etc are allowed to be removed at
the doctor's!! Home is a different story, the less, the better! ;-)

>so far i am down 7lbs since I started. I did do a little watching a few
>days before
>but what really helped was when i put the scale in the bedroom.
>Now as soon as i get up i put my slippers on and thats all I wear. (mental
>note to self.
>good idea to move scale away from window. )

Good idea!

>> I have to be careful with my back, also. The exercises the therapist
>> gave me weren't really designed to take off weight; they were for
>> strengthening my back and limbs. But any kind of exercise burns
>> calories.
>
>this is what I have been doing lately. while i feel like my frozen shoulder
>is getting better
>it is still something I have to deal with. i have been getting into some
>yoga.

Isn't that basically sitting still, with some positions putting the
body under tension? I don't see how it can burn much calories.

>I didnt know about the ozygen tubing and stuff. its amazing how much our
>bodies change as we get older.

Especially when we don't take care of our bodies when we are younger.
:-(

>Well one thing is for sure. I have found that just sitting and doing
>nothings
>is the worst thing I could possibly be doing. I cant explain everything I
>have learned
>but I feel really scared for those that are young and basically just sit all
>day long.
>its an old saying but in my life i have found it to be oooo so true.
>a body at rest will want to stay at rest - a body in motion likes to stay in
>motion.

All those kids who sit in front of the boob tube or Play station! When
i was young kids were outside playing cops and robbers, etc.

>I would like to see the day that doing what is basically very simple chorse
>become very easy for you. so easy infact that you would be ready for more
>exercise. like bringing the heart rate up to true cardio levels for the
>required amount of time. I would like to see that for myself as well.

When i am vacuuming or sweeping, my heart gets to pounding and I work
up a sweat. I often have to take a break before I finish. I can work
my heart hard for awhile; but I have no endurance.

>although before I hurt my back the first time I was doing 30 minutes on a
>stepper machine.
>My goal at this point depends on my back. I am not really on a diet but
>changing my life stype to become more active. I am watching what I eat and
>will eat according to my scale :).

I eat according to my energy levels.

> I will keep my carbs at 200 per day,
>reduce animal protiens and use the good fats like avocado, almonds, olives
>to balance my weight loss.

That is a lot of carbs. I can't handle more than half that. But then i
am not as active as you. I don't like avocados; but almonds are good,
especially wrapped in dark chocolate! And olives in my salads. How
much meat do you eat that you are cutting down?

>at 215lbs I recieved a 100% on the firemens physical and had a 34-36 inch
>waste.

Whoo, hoo! You musta been a fine figure in them days!!

>I guess right now once again I am basing my diet on what I worked out with
>my dietitian and just want to be able to work out again like I once did. I
>am not really sure if i will be able to eat the amount of carbs needed to
>build the types of muscles I once had.

Building muscles needs protein. After all, muscles are made of
protein. Carbs are just fuel.

>part of my work out when I was 29 was walking up 57 flights of stairs with
>50lbs on my back - not sure how I would be able to fuel that kind of work
>out while being diabetic.

Uh, that goal is kind of over the top, don't you think? You are not 29
any more, ya know. Oh, boy! I think of when I was 29 and slender and
very active. I could walk ten miles and not even breathe hard.

>tell you the truth tho. I would really be very happy to just be able to do
>the 57 flights and carry an empy back pack.
>knowing I will be stepping on the scale every day does help in the food
>choices I make.

Sort of a watchdog effect! Now if it recorded the numbers for anyone
to see, you couldn't cheat or lie to yourself. I used to lie to myself
years ago when I was dieting. It didn't do any good.

>one thing i would like to ask you is are you able to change it all around
>and get off the oxygen?

No, it is for life. I have Emphysema. And use Spiriva Handihaler every
evening just to keep my lungs open.

>lol wow i wrote a lot.

You must have needed to talk to someone. I am here.

>Tom
>Up Up and Away from the computer.

Gantlet

Dec 26, 2006, 4:05:43 PM12/26/06

> On Wed, 20 Dec 2006 18:22:07 GMT, "Gantlet"
> <T...@TomsDiabeticDiary.com> wrote:
>

>>"Jolanna" <jol...@drop.me.fairpoint.net> wrote in message
>>> I looked at the link you sent and gasped at the sale price. That is
>>> beyond my means. But I might have my son look on eBay. That is where I
>>> got my fancy $340 walker-with-seat for only $54+shipping.
>>
>>I am sure there are others sold elsewhere for much less. not really sure
>>how much the one i showed you costs.
>
> On sale for $179---down from $229.

I am sure they have cheaper but can understand that some will feel its not
worth it.

>>at the Dr's office I got smacked a few times for taking off too many
>>clothes.
>
> No, No, No, only shoes and jackets, etc are allowed to be removed at
> the doctor's!! Home is a different story, the less, the better! ;-)

I have to stop making jokes like that. My friends and I have jokes several
times about
how great it would be to have a beautiful doctor. Now that I have one i
have
a hard time dealing with it. while I am more comfortable around her than I
have ever been with any doctor, i feel like the biggest phoney. I mean
shes the type of girl i would love to take out for coffee or what ever ( if
i was single ). its just realy strange being examined by a beautiful girl
and act like its a bother. truth is if i had a tail it would be wagging
like crazy. when I say shes beautiful I dont only mean how she looks but
there is something to say about a very pretty girl that is concerned with
your health.
shes about my age but looks like shes in her 20's.

>>so far i am down 7lbs since I started. I did do a little watching a few
>>days before
>>but what really helped was when i put the scale in the bedroom.
>>Now as soon as i get up i put my slippers on and thats all I wear.
>>(mental
>>note to self.
>>good idea to move scale away from window. )
>
> Good idea!

well i finally got the people accross the way to pull their shades down :)

>>this is what I have been doing lately. while i feel like my frozen
>>shoulder
>>is getting better
>>it is still something I have to deal with. i have been getting into some
>>yoga.
>
> Isn't that basically sitting still, with some positions putting the
> body under tension? I don't see how it can burn much calories.

while even the simplest form of yoga will burn more calories than just
sitting.
there are many forms of yoga.

>>I didnt know about the ozygen tubing and stuff. its amazing how much our
>>bodies change as we get older.
>
> Especially when we don't take care of our bodies when we are younger.
> :-(

for me it only took the last 10 years or so before I was diagnosed.
most of my life I was always very active, playing sports and most of my jobs
kept me very active.

>>its an old saying but in my life i have found it to be oooo so true.
>>a body at rest will want to stay at rest - a body in motion likes to stay
>>in
>>motion.
>
> All those kids who sit in front of the boob tube or Play station! When
> i was young kids were outside playing cops and robbers, etc.

lol true, we used to play man-hunt. much like cops and robbers but when
you caught the person you kind of roughed them up a bit.
its seems like when we were younger if we wanted to have fun it required
being active.
now its infront of the computer or TV.

>>I would like to see the day that doing what is basically very simple
>>chorse
>>become very easy for you. so easy infact that you would be ready for more
>>exercise. like bringing the heart rate up to true cardio levels for the
>>required amount of time. I would like to see that for myself as well.
>
> When i am vacuuming or sweeping, my heart gets to pounding and I work
> up a sweat. I often have to take a break before I finish. I can work
> my heart hard for awhile; but I have no endurance.

I dont think your doctor would want you to attempt true cardio levels.
I do doubt that anyone can reach that level by doing what you mentioned
above.
and im not saying that what you are doing is not the right exercise for you.
while i did work my way up to doing true cardio 2 years ago. the last 2
years with the pains in my back have kicked me back and I need to once again
work my way up.

>>although before I hurt my back the first time I was doing 30 minutes on a
>>stepper machine.
>>My goal at this point depends on my back. I am not really on a diet but
>>changing my life stype to become more active. I am watching what I eat
>>and
>>will eat according to my scale :).
>
> I eat according to my energy levels.

I think of them as being tied into each other, what the scale says will be
a result of what
I have eaten and how active I was. but yes eating to your energy level is
probably a better way of putting it. the scale will show if we truely did
eat to our energy output.

>> I will keep my carbs at 200 per day,
>>reduce animal protiens and use the good fats like avocado, almonds, olives
>>to balance my weight loss.
>
> That is a lot of carbs. I can't handle more than half that. But then i
> am not as active as you.

true and there are lots of things that can effect blood sugar levels.

>I don't like avocados; but almonds are good,
> especially wrapped in dark chocolate! And olives in my salads. How
> much meat do you eat that you are cutting down?

that changes from meal to meal. but would like to keep each one to around
the size of a deck of cards. for now.

>>at 215lbs I recieved a 100% on the firemens physical and had a 34-36 inch
>>waste.
>
> Whoo, hoo! You musta been a fine figure in them days!!

while I still have the ability to turn heads in those days they used to turn
in my direction and not away like they do now :(.
it feels really good to have girls flirting with you especially if you are
not in a club or anyplace known for hunting. to bump into a stranger and
say you are sorry to be told
"any time" hmmm the good old days. now when that happens they ask for my
number so their laywer can call me.

>>I guess right now once again I am basing my diet on what I worked out with
>>my dietitian and just want to be able to work out again like I once did.
>>am not really sure if i will be able to eat the amount of carbs needed to
>>build the types of muscles I once had.
>
> Building muscles needs protein. After all, muscles are made of
> protein. Carbs are just fuel.

carbs are the fuel that will feed the work out that will tell your muscles
they
need to become bigger, the right amount of carbs and protien are both
needed. while on low carb high protien diets
body builders are in a race against time. the longer they hold they do that
the more muscle they lose.

>>part of my work out when I was 29 was walking up 57 flights of stairs with
>>50lbs on my back - not sure how I would be able to fuel that kind of work
>>out while being diabetic.
>
> Uh, that goal is kind of over the top, don't you think? You are not 29
> any more, ya know. Oh, boy! I think of when I was 29 and slender and
> very active. I could walk ten miles and not even breathe hard.

while I may make a few sort term goals i never set an upper limit.
time will tell.

>>tell you the truth tho. I would really be very happy to just be able to
>>do
>>the 57 flights and carry an empy back pack.
>>knowing I will be stepping on the scale every day does help in the food
>>choices I make.
>
> Sort of a watchdog effect! Now if it recorded the numbers for anyone
> to see, you couldn't cheat or lie to yourself. I used to lie to myself
> years ago when I was dieting. It didn't do any good.

I have not stepped on the scale in a few days but will tomorrow.

>>one thing i would like to ask you is are you able to change it all around
>>and get off the oxygen?
>
> No, it is for life. I have Emphysema. And use Spiriva Handihaler every
> evening just to keep my lungs open.

I am sorry to read that. to help me understand.. does this mean even if
you kept to a exercise and diet plan that you can never jog or run?
or ride a stationary bike at a healthy for your sex and rage level?

>>lol wow i wrote a lot.
>
> You must have needed to talk to someone. I am here.

thank you but im just trying to steel a lil motivation from this thread.
it seems to be working, even tho this is the holiday season. christmas eve
and christmas I was very good.

Tom
Up Up and away from my computer.

Jolanna

Dec 26, 2006, 9:44:27 PM12/26/06
On Tue, 26 Dec 2006 21:05:43 GMT, "Gantlet"
<T...@TomsDiabeticDiary.com> wrote:

>"Jolanna" <jol...@drop.me.fairpoint.net> wrote in message
>> On Wed, 20 Dec 2006 18:22:07 GMT, "Gantlet"
>> <T...@TomsDiabeticDiary.com> wrote:

>I have to stop making jokes like that. My friends and I have jokes several
>times about
>how great it would be to have a beautiful doctor. Now that I have one i
>have
>a hard time dealing with it. while I am more comfortable around her than I
>have ever been with any doctor, i feel like the biggest phoney. I mean
>shes the type of girl i would love to take out for coffee or what ever ( if
>i was single ). its just realy strange being examined by a beautiful girl
>and act like its a bother. truth is if i had a tail it would be wagging
>like crazy. when I say shes beautiful I dont only mean how she looks but
>there is something to say about a very pretty girl that is concerned with
>your health.
>shes about my age but looks like shes in her 20's.

How is your BP and pulse when she examines you? ;->

>>>(mental
>>>note to self.
>>>good idea to move scale away from window. )
>>
>> Good idea!
>
>well i finally got the people accross the way to pull their shades down :)

Good one! LOL!

>while even the simplest form of yoga will burn more calories than just
>sitting.
>there are many forms of yoga.

Oh. I think my knowledge of yoga is someone sitting in the lotus
position and going "om mani padme hum". And that always makes me think
of Ho Hum! LOL!

>I dont think your doctor would want you to attempt true cardio levels.
>I do doubt that anyone can reach that level by doing what you mentioned
>above.
>and im not saying that what you are doing is not the right exercise for you.
>while i did work my way up to doing true cardio 2 years ago. the last 2
>years with the pains in my back have kicked me back and I need to once again
>work my way up.

I don't think I could ever do anything like you mean for true cardio.
I am too old and decrepit. The most I can hope for is lose some weight
and strengthen myself, including my heart, enough for a helthier
lifestyle than I have had for many years. I want my old age to be my
golden years rather than in and out of the hospital. But i don't need
to jog, go boating or biking or anything of that sort. Just be able to
putter in my garden like I used to do.

>>> I will keep my carbs at 200 per day,
>>>reduce animal protiens and use the good fats like avocado, almonds, olives
>>>to balance my weight loss.
>>

>> How
>> much meat do you eat that you are cutting down?
>

>that changes from meal to meal. but would like to keep each one to around
>the size of a deck of cards. for now.

Well, there goes a ribeye steak! Unless you are talking about
jumbo-sized cards or maybe Tarot cards! ;-)

I get a lot of my protein from beans and nuts. I love meat but I know
I shouldn't eat that much of it and it sits in my slowly-digesting gut
too long when I eat too much at one time.

>while I still have the ability to turn heads in those days they used to turn
>in my direction and not away like they do now :(.
>it feels really good to have girls flirting with you especially if you are
>not in a club or anyplace known for hunting. to bump into a stranger and
>say you are sorry to be told
>"any time" hmmm the good old days. now when that happens they ask for my
>number so their laywer can call me.

Now, now, don't put yourself down. When you are accepting of yourself
as you are, it shines through and other people are more likely to
accept you the same way. Let your humor take front stage, not your
tummy. I learned that years ago. I used to joke with my clients about
myself and we would laugh and they all said they felt so comfortable
with me. I like that feeling much better than the occasional whistle I
got when I was young and slim.

>I have not stepped on the scale in a few days but will tomorrow.

I have and lost another pound. But I think I put it back on with
supper. I did a bad thing. I had corned beef on pumpernickel. It sure
was good. My one hour PP was 163! Now lets see how fast it goes down.

>>>one thing i would like to ask you is are you able to change it all around
>>>and get off the oxygen?
>>
>> No, it is for life. I have Emphysema. And use Spiriva Handihaler every
>> evening just to keep my lungs open.
>
>I am sorry to read that. to help me understand.. does this mean even if
>you kept to a exercise and diet plan that you can never jog or run?
>or ride a stationary bike at a healthy for your sex and rage level?

I can't jog or run. but I can use a stationary bike. I did when I was
doing Physical therapy. My son came up with an old one that is rather
rusted. But he says it is good. so when the weather clears up he will
work on it get rid of the rust and oil it good and all that. The meter
on it might not work but that's ok. But when I was doing PT he had to
put a fluffy pillow under my butt! The seat hurt my butt bones. No
muscle there; just a little soft flab.

>>>lol wow i wrote a lot.
>>
>> You must have needed to talk to someone. I am here.
>
>thank you but im just trying to steel a lil motivation from this thread.
>it seems to be working, even tho this is the holiday season. christmas eve
>and christmas I was very good.

You must be strong-willed.

Not me. On Christmas Eve I was on the phone talking to my sister in
Texas and laughing and eating cheese nachos. Instead of 5 or 6 chips,
I think I ate 4 times that many. I didn't even want to test my bg. I
knew it would be outrageous.

>Tom
>Up Up and away from my computer.

I enjoy chatting with you. Happy New Year!

Gantlet

Dec 27, 2006, 11:33:01 PM12/27/06

"Jolanna" <jol...@drop.me.fairpoint.net> wrote in message

> Oh. I think my knowledge of yoga is someone sitting in the lotus

> position and going "om mani padme hum". And that always makes me think
> of Ho Hum! LOL!

:)..
sometimes a lil Ho Hum can show you the answer to a problem you might be
having.
I love falling asleep on the couch with a lil pink floyd playing.
its more like meditation than listening to the music.

> I don't think I could ever do anything like you mean for true cardio.
> I am too old and decrepit. The most I can hope for is lose some weight
> and strengthen myself, including my heart, enough for a helthier
> lifestyle than I have had for many years.

Well than it seems that "The Most" you can hope for is still a much better
quality of life.
i went for a walk today but the pains in my calf were too much. I think it
is due to my sciatica. I have also had a problem with my feet falling
asleep while walking.
I did notice a tight feeling from the laces and will try it again tomorrow
with looser fitting sneakers.

> I want my old age to be my
> golden years rather than in and out of the hospital.

same here I just hope that my golden years are not golden from skid marks on
my shorts.

But i don't need
> to jog, go boating or biking or anything of that sort. Just be able to
> putter in my garden like I used to do.

that can be a lot of fun. for me i would love to ride my bike someplace
into the mountains, pitch a tent and go fishing in the morning. alot like
Broke back mountain
with out all the guy on guy stuff.

>>that changes from meal to meal. but would like to keep each one to around
>>the size of a deck of cards. for now.
>
> Well, there goes a ribeye steak! Unless you are talking about
> jumbo-sized cards or maybe Tarot cards! ;-)

dont get me wrong im not so alan about it. I will have my porterhouse steak
from time to time. i dont think one needs to be anal in order to be
healthy.

> Now, now, don't put yourself down. When you are accepting of yourself
> as you are, it shines through and other people are more likely to
> accept you the same way. Let your humor take front stage, not your
> tummy. I learned that years ago. I used to joke with my clients about
> myself and we would laugh and they all said they felt so comfortable
> with me. I like that feeling much better than the occasional whistle I
> got when I was young and slim.

dont worry about me Jolanna. Making fun of myself does not really bother
me.
I dont mean my self any harm :).

> I have and lost another pound. But I think I put it back on with
> supper. I did a bad thing. I had corned beef on pumpernickel. It sure
> was good. My one hour PP was 163! Now lets see how fast it goes down.

are you sure it was from the pumpernickel in that meal? there is a lil
thing known as the pizza effect and im pretty sure that corned beef has more
fat than pizza.
if that was me i would be putting the blame on something I ate around 2
hours before or perhaps I had a liver dump.

> I can't jog or run. but I can use a stationary bike. I did when I was
> doing Physical therapy. My son came up with an old one that is rather
> rusted. But he says it is good. so when the weather clears up he will
> work on it get rid of the rust and oil it good and all that. The meter
> on it might not work but that's ok. But when I was doing PT he had to
> put a fluffy pillow under my butt! The seat hurt my butt bones. No
> muscle there; just a little soft flab.

yes the pain in the butt while sitting on those stationary bike seats.
been there done that. but it does go away as the butt firms up.

>>thank you but im just trying to steel a lil motivation from this thread.
>>it seems to be working, even tho this is the holiday season. christmas eve
>>and christmas I was very good.
>
> You must be strong-willed.

no not really, I just didnt get a chance to buy everything i wanted.
i threw out about 2 dozen baked huge baked clams.

> Not me. On Christmas Eve I was on the phone talking to my sister in
> Texas and laughing and eating cheese nachos. Instead of 5 or 6 chips,
> I think I ate 4 times that many. I didn't even want to test my bg. I
> knew it would be outrageous.

sometimes its good to test at times like that. when you see a high number
perhaps
you wont be so fast to do it again..

> I enjoy chatting with you. Happy New Year!

shhhh dont say that. but thank you.
lets continue getting healthier.

Tom
Up Up and time to go to bed bed.

Chris Malcolm

Dec 28, 2006, 5:15:47 AM12/28/06
Gantlet <T...@tomsdiabeticdiary.com> wrote:

> i went for a walk today but the pains in my calf were too much. I think it
> is due to my sciatica. I have also had a problem with my feet falling
> asleep while walking.

I hope so, Tom. Is this something you've asked your doc about? I ask
because those symptoms are what caused my father to give up playing
golf. He was told the reason was that the blood circulation in his
lower legs had become restricted, too restricted to supply enough
oxygen for continuous walking. The critical symptom was that the pains
in his calves that developed while walking went away when he stopped
walking. He could walk a long way providing he kept pausing for
recovery. So he used to pretend to be window shopping as he took his
recovery breaks.

He was told the main reason for this problem was smoking. Given other
symptoms he displayed it wouldn't surprise me if he had also been
suffering from insulin resistance and high blood sugars, possibly even
late onset diabetes. They were much more careless about diagnosing
diabetes in those days, especially in the old.

I'd get those calf and foot problems checked out. You don't want to let
them get worse if there's something that can be done.

--
Chris Malcolm c...@infirmatics.ed.ac.uk DoD #205
[http://www.dai.ed.ac.uk/homes/cam/]

Gantlet

Dec 28, 2006, 1:45:01 PM12/28/06

"Chris Malcolm" <c...@holyrood.ed.ac.uk> wrote in message

> Gantlet <T...@tomsdiabeticdiary.com> wrote:
>
>> i went for a walk today but the pains in my calf were too much. I think
>> it
>> is due to my sciatica. I have also had a problem with my feet falling
>> asleep while walking.
>
> I hope so, Tom. Is this something you've asked your doc about? I ask
> because those symptoms are what caused my father to give up playing
> golf. He was told the reason was that the blood circulation in his
> lower legs had become restricted, too restricted to supply enough
> oxygen for continuous walking. The critical symptom was that the pains
> in his calves that developed while walking went away when he stopped
> walking. He could walk a long way providing he kept pausing for
> recovery. So he used to pretend to be window shopping as he took his
> recovery breaks.

The foot falling asleep is no doubt ( mho ) a circulation problem.
However I just noticed that it does not happen on my stationary bike
also I didnt have any pain in my leg during the ride.
The foot falling asleep can be a pintched nerve in my ankle and I am still
thinking the pains in my leg are from the pintched or irritated sciatica.
Like your father I was doing a bit of window shopping myself yesterday.
I feel very much like i did when I was first diagnosed 4 years ago.
different kinds of pain but the results are the same. I have to stop and
rest every block
and beleive me the pain is very bad even with just half a block.
The patch is on again and seems as if my wife finally hid my credit cards
good enough so that
I can not find them. it will be very strange this New Years eve being a non
smoker ( if i make it)
but I truely do not want to go out like this. I would much rather take my
bike and fly into the grand canyon.
my frozen shoulder seems to be getting better and it almost has the same
range of motion as the other.
my biggest concern now it to increase my circulation. smoking no doubt does
not help.
it is like I have been saying for a while.
a body at rest will want to stay at rest and sooner or later will demand to
stay at rest. these things have been happening when ever I increase
my activity levels.
my eyes may water during some movies but not so much from pain, yesterday
while i walked with my wife I did want to cry.

> He was told the main reason for this problem was smoking. Given other
> symptoms he displayed it wouldn't surprise me if he had also been
> suffering from insulin resistance and high blood sugars, possibly even
> late onset diabetes. They were much more careless about diagnosing
> diabetes in those days, especially in the old.

2 of my wifes sisters and her mother have diabetes. My wife will be going
to mexico
soon to see her mom that will be my biggest challenge. I usually go a lil
nuts when she goes away
but not this time.

> I'd get those calf and foot problems checked out. You don't want to let
> them get worse if there's something that can be done.

i know but I didnt change my health plan last renewal and each specialist
cost
$40 each time and I need to see a few.
I think i might get an MRI on my shoulder, legs and back.
i feel very good that I did not have the problems while on the stationary
bike
it gives me hope that I can change this. I will not go for any walks for a
week
but will ride the stationary bike and god help me I will not smoke.
my job requires I do walking I wonder if i can get some kind of compinsation
from this.
for those that suffer from the same things I am, no we cant get to where we
were
when we were younger but we sure as hell can get better.
One thing I do know is sitting here is probably the worst thing I can be
doing.

Tom
Up Up and Away from my computer.

Cheri

Dec 28, 2006, 2:20:30 PM12/28/06
Sorry to hear you're having pain again in your legsTom and hope they're
better soon. I wish you great success with the stopping smoking, and a
Happy New Year.

--
Cheri

Jolanna

Dec 28, 2006, 9:26:39 PM12/28/06
On Thu, 28 Dec 2006 04:33:01 GMT, "Gantlet"
<T...@TomsDiabeticDiary.com> wrote:

>"Jolanna" <jol...@drop.me.fairpoint.net> wrote in message
>

>i went for a walk today but the pains in my calf were too much. I think it
>is due to my sciatica. I have also had a problem with my feet falling
>asleep while walking.
>I did notice a tight feeling from the laces and will try it again tomorrow
>with looser fitting sneakers.

I don't like the sound of that. Have you tried icepacks on your calf?
And your sciatic area? There has got to be inflamation there. BTDT.
Your feet falling asleep is worrisome, too. I can't stand tight shoes.
I have some hightops that I have fastened with a stretchy coil I got
at Payless Shoes a few years ago. My shoes stay on nicely, but the
elastic gives as I flex my feet. No binding that way. Also no laces to
come undone and trip me.

>that can be a lot of fun. for me i would love to ride my bike someplace
>into the mountains, pitch a tent and go fishing in the morning. alot like
>Broke back mountain
>with out all the guy on guy stuff.

That sounds peaceful and attractive.

>dont get me wrong im not so alan about it. I will have my porterhouse steak
>from time to time. i dont think one needs to be anal in order to be
>healthy.

Right! We got to have our perks once in awhile.

>> I have and lost another pound. But I think I put it back on with
>> supper. I did a bad thing. I had corned beef on pumpernickel. It sure
>> was good. My one hour PP was 163! Now lets see how fast it goes down.
>
>are you sure it was from the pumpernickel in that meal? there is a lil
>thing known as the pizza effect and im pretty sure that corned beef has more
>fat than pizza.
>if that was me i would be putting the blame on something I ate around 2
>hours before or perhaps I had a liver dump.

Youu are right. I ate a hot link on bread and cheese about 3 hours
before. So I was a bad girl all day! :-(

>yes the pain in the butt while sitting on those stationary bike seats.
>been there done that. but it does go away as the butt firms up.

I plan on putting it in the living room with the rule that if I want
to watch tv, I gotta pedal!

>no not really, I just didnt get a chance to buy everything i wanted.
>i threw out about 2 dozen baked huge baked clams.

And you didn't think of feeding them to your dogs? I hate to throw
food away. Childhood training when I was a kid.

>> Not me. On Christmas Eve I was on the phone talking to my sister in
>> Texas and laughing and eating cheese nachos. Instead of 5 or 6 chips,
>> I think I ate 4 times that many. I didn't even want to test my bg. I
>> knew it would be outrageous.
>
>sometimes its good to test at times like that. when you see a high number
>perhaps
>you wont be so fast to do it again..

Any time I have been bad and gotten a high number like that, I seen to
eat like a diabetic fanatic for a few days.

>lets continue getting healthier.

Slowly but surely; with fewer and fewer backslidings as time goes by.

>Tom
>Up Up and time to go to bed bed.

I like your little "up up" thingies. :-)

Chris Malcolm

Dec 29, 2006, 6:37:05 AM12/29/06
Gantlet <T...@tomsdiabeticdiary.com> wrote:

That's not how my sciatica ever behaved, but if it is sciatica, then
pushing yourself into pain might be making it worse, whereas if it's
claudication, then pushing it into pain might be good for it. I'm no
expert, I'm just suggesting that guessing on your own what's wrong
might be causing you to make whatever it is worse. I think you really
do need your doctor's advice on this one.

> my biggest concern now it to increase my circulation. smoking no doubt does
> not help.
> it is like I have been saying for a while.
> a body at rest will want to stay at rest and sooner or later will demand to
> stay at rest. these things have been happening when ever I increase
> my activity levels.
> my eyes may water during some movies but not so much from pain, yesterday
> while i walked with my wife I did want to cry.

How about losing some weight? No matter what is wrong with your legs,
feet, and back, there's no doubt that losing a bit of weight will make
getting around easier. It's really surprising just how much difference
losing just a little weight makes to walking.

>> I'd get those calf and foot problems checked out. You don't want to let
>> them get worse if there's something that can be done.

> i know but I didnt change my health plan last renewal and each specialist
> cost
> $40 each time and I need to see a few.

Well, if you have to pay for it, seeing your doctor in your current
state sounds like a really good investment to me. Didn't you say she
was rather attractive? :-)

> I think i might get an MRI on my shoulder, legs and back.

There could be much easier and cheaper ways of distinguishing between
pinched nerves and claudication. Your doctor is the one to consult
about that.

> i feel very good that I did not have the problems while on the stationary
> bike
> it gives me hope that I can change this. I will not go for any walks for a
> week
> but will ride the stationary bike and god help me I will not smoke.

Generally speaking for exercise it's a good idea to avoid doing things
which hurt you and to do more of the things that don't.

> my job requires I do walking I wonder if i can get some kind of compinsation
> from this.
> for those that suffer from the same things I am, no we cant get to where we
> were
> when we were younger but we sure as hell can get better.
> One thing I do know is sitting here is probably the worst thing I can be
> doing.

Unless it encourages you to do the right thing.

Without the encouragement and education I've got from spending time in
this newsgroup I'd be in a lot worse shape than I am now. If you add
into that the help I've got from newsgroups about other medical
problems in the past, then it's even possible that I owe my life to
the support and advice I've got from newsgroups.

Gantlet

Dec 29, 2006, 12:58:36 PM12/29/06

> On Thu, 28 Dec 2006 04:33:01 GMT, "Gantlet"
> <T...@TomsDiabeticDiary.com> wrote:
>

>>"Jolanna" <jol...@drop.me.fairpoint.net> wrote in message
>>
>>i went for a walk today but the pains in my calf were too much. I think
>>it
>>is due to my sciatica. I have also had a problem with my feet falling
>>asleep while walking.
>>I did notice a tight feeling from the laces and will try it again tomorrow
>>with looser fitting sneakers.

Before I reply I would just like to say.
this does sound like and can very well be diabetes related.
i am trying to figure out at what point do we stop pointing at diabetes
as the reason and at what point we could look at other things we are doing
wrong.
and at what point is it a combination of the 2.

> I don't like the sound of that. Have you tried icepacks on your calf?

no but i used it as an excuse to get several full body massages.

> And your sciatic area?

from what I have read. when it is something you know of
soon after it happens use an ice pack but after that heat is better.
but in case you have BTDT just do as your doctor says.

>There has got to be inflamation there. BTDT.

while i just took a nice walk and felt okish compared to 2 days ago
sitting her now I am in pain.

> Your feet falling asleep is worrisome, too. I can't stand tight shoes.
> I have some hightops that I have fastened with a stretchy coil I got
> at Payless Shoes a few years ago. My shoes stay on nicely, but the
> elastic gives as I flex my feet. No binding that way. Also no laces to
> come undone and trip me.

i have hi tops to and i did notice some pressure on top. so far while
walking
with out doing my laces i have no problem.

>>that can be a lot of fun. for me i would love to ride my bike someplace
>>into the mountains, pitch a tent and go fishing in the morning. alot like
>>Broke back mountain
>>with out all the guy on guy stuff.
>
> That sounds peaceful and attractive.

that is my fantacy.. 1 last hurra. I dream of a week like that.
as a kid i spent every summer in up state new york and fell in love with
nature.
problem is that with the people i grew up with these days I am better off
staying away.

>>dont get me wrong im not so alan about it. I will have my porterhouse
>>steak
>>from time to time. i dont think one needs to be anal in order to be
>>healthy.
>
> Right! We got to have our perks once in awhile.

in the summer i love to throw a rack of ribs on the bbq and slow cookem.
these pains and your posts have reuped my motivation and I am doing pretty
good.

>>are you sure it was from the pumpernickel in that meal? there is a lil
>>thing known as the pizza effect and im pretty sure that corned beef has
>>more
>>fat than pizza.
>>if that was me i would be putting the blame on something I ate around 2
>>hours before or perhaps I had a liver dump.
>
> Youu are right. I ate a hot link on bread and cheese about 3 hours
> before. So I was a bad girl all day! :-(

sounds tastey. try it with whole grain rye crackers and instead of the
cheese use avocado
or omega 3 bread spread from smart balance.
not that I am perfect or anything but please o please dont forget about
all those low carb veggies out there. I didnt see any mention

>>yes the pain in the butt while sitting on those stationary bike seats.
>>been there done that. but it does go away as the butt firms up.
>
> I plan on putting it in the living room with the rule that if I want
> to watch tv, I gotta pedal!

right now I am studying something and have created power point presentation
that lets me study and ride the stationary bike at the same time.
one of my monitors is a 24 inch and it makes it very easy to read.

>>no not really, I just didnt get a chance to buy everything i wanted.
>>i threw out about 2 dozen baked huge baked clams.
>
> And you didn't think of feeding them to your dogs? I hate to throw
> food away. Childhood training when I was a kid.

ide rather throw them away then feed them to my dogs.
I have the power to control what my dogs eat and they are
health freeks as best I can do.
the only reason i threw them out was because i was feeling a bit depressed
and wouldnt be able to eat them and enjoy them so figured whats the sence.

> Any time I have been bad and gotten a high number like that, I seen to
> eat like a diabetic fanatic for a few days.

i have always felt that sometimes the healthiest way may not always be the
best way.
yes I am bad sometimes but good most and i think that is because i never
really get fanatic about it.
I am not saying that you shouldnt, we are all different and will need to
follow a different path.

>>lets continue getting healthier.
>
> Slowly but surely; with fewer and fewer backslidings as time goes by.

yes diabetes is a lot like a war we may lose a battle from time to time
but the war must be won.

>>Tom
>>Up Up and time to go to bed bed.
>>
> I like your little "up up" thingies. :-)

i cant resist
down down thingies are pretty worthless.

yesterday i stepped on the scale and it showed
that I have gained 2 pounds back but today
i am once again at my 10lbs loss and its during holiday time.
i didnt smoke yesterday but am today only because I know i want to get
really really drunk on new years. I have not done that in about 4 years and
i really feel the
need now to go out and have a blast with out trying not to smoke. but New
Years day the
patch will go back on. I probably will put it on againt tomorrow but not
new years eve.
ttys

Tom
Up Up and onto my stationary bike.

W. Baker

Dec 29, 2006, 2:38:20 PM12/29/06
Gantlet <T...@tomsdiabeticdiary.com> wrote:

: "Jolanna" <jol...@drop.me.fairpoint.net> wrote in message

: news:hqt8p2d3gnofdmc69...@4ax.com...

: > On Thu, 28 Dec 2006 04:33:01 GMT, "Gantlet"
: > <T...@TomsDiabeticDiary.com> wrote:
: >
: >>
: >>"Jolanna" <jol...@drop.me.fairpoint.net> wrote in message
: >>
: >>i went for a walk today but the pains in my calf were too much. I think
: >>it
: >>is due to my sciatica. I have also had a problem with my feet falling
: >>asleep while walking.
: >>I did notice a tight feeling from the laces and will try it again tomorrow
: >>with looser fitting sneakers.
: >

: Before I reply I would just like to say.
: this does sound like and can very well be diabetes related.
: i am trying to figure out at what point do we stop pointing at diabetes
: as the reason and at what point we could look at other things we are doing
: wrong.
: and at what point is it a combination of the 2.

Both must be considered by you and the MD. I lost focus in my left eye
about 9 years ago when the oopthamologist assumed tht the macular edema
I was experinecing was diabetes related and lasared the macula. It turned
out that it ws wet macular degeneration that was exacerbated by the
lasaring. A retina specialist might have noticed several tell-tale signs
that distinguish the two conditions.

Wendy

Jolanna

Dec 29, 2006, 9:44:22 PM12/29/06
On Fri, 29 Dec 2006 17:58:36 GMT, "Gantlet"
<T...@TomsDiabeticDiary.com> wrote:

>"Jolanna" <jol...@drop.me.fairpoint.net> wrote in message
>> On Thu, 28 Dec 2006 04:33:01 GMT, "Gantlet"
>> <T...@TomsDiabeticDiary.com> wrote:
>>

>>>"Jolanna" <jol...@drop.me.fairpoint.net> wrote in message
>>>

>> I don't like the sound of that. Have you tried icepacks on your calf?
>
>no but i used it as an excuse to get several full body massages.

ROFL!! You go, Tom!

>> And your sciatic area?
>
>from what I have read. when it is something you know of
>soon after it happens use an ice pack but after that heat is better.
>but in case you have BTDT just do as your doctor says.

What the therapist told me was use ice packs to get the pain down to a
more bearable level, then use heat. Feel the area and see if it is
warmer than the surrounding area. If so, you have inflammation and
need the ice pack. with no inflammation, heat is good.

>while i just took a nice walk and felt okish compared to 2 days ago
>sitting her now I am in pain.

I don't think what you have is sciatica. I think you might have a
blood clot. And maybe the numbness in your feet is also due to
impaired circulation.

Sciatica is the nerve running down the back of the leg and heel, and
the whole length of it hurts. It is pinched in the upper sacral area
of the lower spine. My upper sacral vertebrae broke loose years ago
when I fell on it, and it floated around causing sciatic misery for
many years until the vertebrae fused to the lower lumbar with
arthritic growths. A few years ago it broke loose from that position
and then settled into the correct position and fused with arthritic
growth again. No more pain. So you see, I have had sciatic pain
experience for many years.

>in the summer i love to throw a rack of ribs on the bbq and slow cookem.
>these pains and your posts have reuped my motivation and I am doing pretty
>good.

OOOHHH!!! BBQed ribs!! YUM! I am glad to help you with your
motivation. That helps me, too.

>> Youu are right. I ate a hot link on bread and cheese about 3 hours
>> before. So I was a bad girl all day! :-(
>
>sounds tastey. try it with whole grain rye crackers and instead of the
>cheese use avocado
>or omega 3 bread spread from smart balance.
>not that I am perfect or anything but please o please dont forget about
>all those low carb veggies out there. I didnt see any mention

What's the matter with cheese? It's not full of carbs. Don't like
avocados. But the rye crackers sound good.
Oh, I eat veggies till I poop green! I just like a break from them
once in awhile. At least when I backslide, I don't eat pasta. That is
my biggest no-no. What is omega 3 bread spread?

>> I plan on putting it in the living room with the rule that if I want
>> to watch tv, I gotta pedal!
>
>right now I am studying something and have created power point presentation
>that lets me study and ride the stationary bike at the same time.
>one of my monitors is a 24 inch and it makes it very easy to read.

I had not heard of such a large monitor. But my son says gamers like
them. That size wouldn't fit on my desk! But it sure would be nice to
read my PDF files without all the scrolling I have to do on my little
monitor.

>ide rather throw them away then feed them to my dogs.
>I have the power to control what my dogs eat and they are
>health freeks as best I can do.

I am the same way with my diabetic cat. I watch her diet better than
mine. Sometimes I think I need someone else to be in charge of my
food.

>the only reason i threw them out was because i was feeling a bit depressed
>and wouldnt be able to eat them and enjoy them so figured whats the sence.

I am sorry you were depressed. Have some dark chocolate! Or a
margarita! ;-)

>> Any time I have been bad and gotten a high number like that, I seen to
>> eat like a diabetic fanatic for a few days.
>
>i have always felt that sometimes the healthiest way may not always be the
>best way.
>yes I am bad sometimes but good most and i think that is because i never
>really get fanatic about it.
>I am not saying that you shouldnt, we are all different and will need to
>follow a different path.

I told my PCP in the beginning I had no intention of micro-managing my
condition. Quality of life is just as important as physical health. So
I limit myself to a single piece of chocolate now and then. Or a hot
link with melted cheese. A little perk now and then makes the diabetic
regimen all worthwhile. I don't want to feel deprived and frustrated,
thinking of all the things I can no longer have. So I allow myself to
have higher numbers once in awhile.

>> Slowly but surely; with fewer and fewer backslidings as time goes by.
>
>yes diabetes is a lot like a war we may lose a battle from time to time
>but the war must be won.

Yes, we just pick ourselves up and start teh fight again. Never giving
up.

>>>Tom
>>>Up Up and time to go to bed bed.
>>>
>> I like your little "up up" thingies. :-)
>
>i cant resist
>down down thingies are pretty worthless.

ROFL!! I guess i left myself wide open for that one!

>yesterday i stepped on the scale and it showed
>that I have gained 2 pounds back but today
>i am once again at my 10lbs loss and its during holiday time.
>i didnt smoke yesterday but am today only because I know i want to get
>really really drunk on new years. I have not done that in about 4 years and
>i really feel the
>need now to go out and have a blast with out trying not to smoke. but New
>Years day the
>patch will go back on. I probably will put it on againt tomorrow but not
>new years eve.
>ttys
>
>Tom
>Up Up and onto my stationary bike.

On a holiday, especially the end of the year and about to start a new
year, it is OKAY to go all out and have a blast. It makes you feel
better when you resume the good boy routine.

Chris Malcolm

Dec 30, 2006, 9:00:26 AM12/30/06
Gantlet <T...@tomsdiabeticdiary.com> wrote:

> "Chris Malcolm" <c...@holyrood.ed.ac.uk> wrote in message

> my biggest concern now it to increase my circulation. smoking no doubt does
> not help.

It's doing a lot more than not helping. It's actively wrecking your
peripheral circulation.

> One thing I do know is sitting here is probably the worst thing I can be
> doing.

> Up Up and Away from my computer.

It wouldn't surprise me if you've reached a stage of claudication
where the worst thing you're doing to yourself just now is smoking. Of
course I can't tell, but the symptoms you've described here are
consistent with that idea. Finding a good time to stop smoking is
rather like finding a good time to break bad news. The only time to
stop smoking is now. Tomorrow never comes.

You say you find it hard to walk one block. Do you really want to risk
swishing another few packs of cigarettes through a circulation system
which may be approaching the crisis point of being unable to handle
normal mobility? Are you going to start the New Year by poisoning
yourself, or by giving your body a chance to start healing?

Gantlet

Dec 30, 2006, 12:09:10 PM12/30/06

"Jolanna" <jol...@drop.me.fairpoint.net> wrote in message

>>no but i used it as an excuse to get several full body massages.
>
> ROFL!! You go, Tom!

Now i wish i didnt. my wifes father died when she was very young.
and now my wife is going to mexico because her diabetic mother is very il
and
needs an operation.
there is no insurance that I know of and we are going to have to scrape
together
anything we can just so my wife can visit her.
I will not be the reason my wife couldnt go see her mom for what might be
her last chance. I have no choice but to wait until Feb to take start this
doctor shit.
all I can do is live as healthy as I can until that. but that does not
include tomorrow.
I am also at a breaking point and need to let loose a little steam.
so after having a few drinks on New Years Eve. I am going to live as
healthy as I can.
scale shows a loss of 9lbs since I moved the scale to the bedroom.

>>> And your sciatic area?
>>
>>from what I have read. when it is something you know of
>>soon after it happens use an ice pack but after that heat is better.
>>but in case you have BTDT just do as your doctor says.
>
> What the therapist told me was use ice packs to get the pain down to a
> more bearable level, then use heat. Feel the area and see if it is
> warmer than the surrounding area. If so, you have inflammation and
> need the ice pack. with no inflammation, heat is good.
>>
>>while i just took a nice walk and felt okish compared to 2 days ago
>>sitting her now I am in pain.
>
> I don't think what you have is sciatica. I think you might have a
> blood clot. And maybe the numbness in your feet is also due to
> impaired circulation.

gee thanks Dr. Jolanna :). im not really feeling very well and not really
sure
what i want to do. I dont feel like talking and I dont feel like really
doing anything.
I will reply to the rest in a couple of days.

Tom

Jolanna

Dec 30, 2006, 7:34:59 PM12/30/06
On Sat, 30 Dec 2006 17:09:10 GMT, "Gantlet"
<T...@TomsDiabeticDiary.com> wrote:

>"Jolanna" <jol...@drop.me.fairpoint.net> wrote in message
>>>

>Now i wish i didnt. my wifes father died when she was very young.
>and now my wife is going to mexico because her diabetic mother is very il
>and
>needs an operation.
>there is no insurance that I know of and we are going to have to scrape
>together
>anything we can just so my wife can visit her.
>I will not be the reason my wife couldnt go see her mom for what might be
>her last chance. I have no choice but to wait until Feb to take start this
>doctor shit.
>all I can do is live as healthy as I can until that. but that does not
>include tomorrow.
>I am also at a breaking point and need to let loose a little steam.
>so after having a few drinks on New Years Eve. I am going to live as
>healthy as I can.
>scale shows a loss of 9lbs since I moved the scale to the bedroom.

I am sorry for your MIL. I wonder if Mexico has indigent health plans
like we do here?I hope so. I will be praying for your wife and MIL.
And you do need to let off steam. Go for it.

>> I don't think what you have is sciatica. I think you might have a
>> blood clot. And maybe the numbness in your feet is also due to
>> impaired circulation.
>
>gee thanks Dr. Jolanna :). im not really feeling very well and not really
>sure
>what i want to do. I dont feel like talking and I dont feel like really
>doing anything.
>I will reply to the rest in a couple of days.
>
>Tom

I didn't mean to come off sounding like an armchair dr. I accidentally
left off "or something" after saying "blood clot". That was nice of
you not to lambast me for it.

I am sorry that you are feeling so down. I wish there was something I
could do. Here is a virtual hug...{{{{{{{Tom}}}}}}}}
I will look forward to hearing from you when you feel better.