Apheresis / active distal ulcerative colitis

1 view

ironj...@aol.com

Feb 1, 2005, 7:53:19 AM2/1/05
Aliment Pharmacol Ther. 2004 Oct 1;20(7):783-92. Related Articles,
Links

Granulocyte and monocyte adsorptive apheresis in the treatment of
active distal ulcerative colitis: a prospective, pilot study.

Yamamoto T, Umegae S, Kitagawa T, Yasuda Y, Yamada Y, Takahashi D,
Mukumoto M, Nishimura N, Yasue K, Matsumoto K.

Inflammatory Bowel Disease Centre, Yokkaichi Social Insurance Hospital,
Yokkaichi, Mie, Japan. nao-...@sannet.ne.jp

AIM: To assess safety and clinical efficacy of granulocyte and monocyte
adsorptive apheresis for distal ulcerative colitis. METHODS:
Granulocyte and monocyte adsorptive apheresis therapy (five aphereses
for 5 consecutive weeks) was performed for 30 consecutive patients with
active distal ulcerative colitis. Patient compliance, adverse effects
and clinical symptoms were regularly assessed. RESULTS: Adverse effects
were noted during nine (6%) apheresis sessions in eight patients;
slight headache five, transient abdominal pain with tenesmus two, fever
(38 degrees C) one and mild liver dysfunction one. None of these
adverse effects was serious and all patients could complete five
aphereses. Clinical symptoms (stool frequency and consistency, rectal
bleeding, tenesmus and mucus in stools) significantly improved after
the third apheresis. Clinical remission (normal stool frequency and no
rectal bleeding) was achieved in 21 patients (70%) after five
aphereses. The median Disease Activity Index score significantly
decreased; from 6 [interquartile range (IQR): 4-7] to 2 (IQR: 1-3) (P <
0.0001). CONCLUSION: In the treatment of active distal ulcerative
colitis, granulocyte and monocyte adsorptive apheresis is safe and
well-tolerated. Granulocyte and monocyte adsorptive apheresis had a
beneficial effect on clinical remission and symptoms. However,
randomized-controlled trials would be necessary to assess a definite
efficacy of granulocyte and monocyte adsorptive apheresis.

PMID: 15379839 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Who loves ya.
Tom
Jesus Was A Vegetarian! http://jesuswasavegetarian.7h.com
Man Is A Herbivore!
http://pages.ivillage.com/ironjustice/manisaherbivore
DEAD PEOPLE WALKING

Lisa S. Quinn

Feb 1, 2005, 8:19:35 AM2/1/05
I was a participant in the clinical trials treating Crohn's Disease with
this process and can speak to it's success! Not only did I come very close
to total remission for a short period of time, the sole benefit of NOT
taking any drugs was nirvana!! I really hope it becomes an FDA approved
treatment here in the states SOON!!!!

--
~Lisa S. Quinn
"Criticize the words they're selling - Think for yourself and feel the walls

<ironj...@aol.com> wrote in message

Amy

Feb 1, 2005, 8:44:47 AM2/1/05
Dear Lisa,

You've tried this??? Wow, I have only been able to find studies coming
out of Japan, I had no idea this was being trialled elsewhere. Which
company was conducting the trial? Was it the Adacolumn you tried? I
asked one of my gastros about this tonight and he hadn't even HEARD of it.

Take care,

Amy.

Lisa S. Quinn

Feb 1, 2005, 8:57:45 AM2/1/05
The clinical trial was done at University of Chicago Hospitals almost two
years ago and since the US approved trials were quite limited, I am not
surprised that your gastros have not heard of it... I try not to research
the status of FDA approval as I abhor the waiting process...

After all, anything that help achieve remission without drugs is definitely
something that our community is in GREAT need of finding - one would think
that there would be MUCH more advocacy for these types of treatment here in
the states. According to the disclosure docs I received at the beginning of
the Adacolum Aphresis trial, I believe there was discussion regarding this
treatment as having success in Japan and other countries...

--
~Lisa S. Quinn
"Criticize the words they're selling - Think for yourself and feel the walls
become like sand beneath your feet...."

"Amy" <am...@yoyo.its.monash.edu.au> wrote in message

keeth22

Feb 1, 2005, 9:10:21 AM2/1/05
Unfortunately, any treatments for this disease that do not require
drugs will not have the support of the FDA, and certainly not the
support of the pharmaceutical industry. Without their support, your
doctor is not likely to inform you either. I've found it hard to find
treatment information that's not drug related in the US.

Amy

Feb 1, 2005, 9:42:12 AM2/1/05
Hi Lisa,

Thanks for the info. I really hope more research is conducted and
approval given. I am in Australia, so the situation is slightly
different here (no FDA), but being a smaller country we tend to get new
drugs and treatments after they are available in bigger countries like
the US and the UK.

ironj...@aol.com

Feb 1, 2005, 9:59:44 AM2/1/05
I must assume it was YOU who changed the newsgroups postings .. ?

You seem to have a problem with MY .. 'choices' .. ?

Deb Schuback

Feb 1, 2005, 10:37:23 AM2/1/05
Fortunately for you cynics and pharminoids out there... the specific
columns used in the apheresis procedure are made by a... company! Yes
that's right... a group of people who are only out to make money off of
us sickies!!!
Debs

keeth22 wrote:

--
remove YOURFOOT before responding

Advocate147

Feb 2, 2005, 12:35:26 PM2/2/05
Would James Stein please post. the weather or anything.

Gail

NinaW

Feb 2, 2005, 1:31:24 PM2/2/05
Yeah, I've been "looking" for him too!
I hope he's just busy with school....
Nina

Deb Schuback

Feb 2, 2005, 2:58:24 PM2/2/05
I thought he was having a major surgery?
Debs

NinaW wrote:

--
remove YOURFOOT before responding

Sdores

Feb 2, 2005, 3:29:41 PM2/2/05
Yes he was and I think did but haven't seen any post lately. Give him time
because healing takes time to sit at the computer, or want to sit here. I
can't sit here too long myself with the surgery I had and mine isn't as
extreme as his was going to be. UM MOM Susan
"Deb Schuback" <YOURFOOT...@helix.mgh.harvard.edu> wrote in message

ironj...@aol.com

Feb 2, 2005, 8:17:30 PM2/2/05

Yokkaichi, Mie, Japan. nao-t...@sannet.ne.jp

<

0.0001). CONCLUSION: In the treatment of active distal ulcer­ative
colitis, granulocyte and monocyte adsorptive apheresis is sa­fe and
well-tolerated. Granulocyte and monocyte adsorptive apheresi­s had a
beneficial effect on clinical remission and symptoms. Howeve­r,

randomized-controlled trials would be necessary to assess a ­definite
efficacy of granulocyte and monocyte adsorptive apheresis.

PMID: 15379839 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

------------------------------------------------------------­--------------------

NinaW

Feb 2, 2005, 9:03:26 PM2/2/05
I wasn't sure about that..... his last posts (I thought) referred to
his internship or something like that for his med degree.
I probably did miss something though, given my pred yo-yo lately!
Nina

ironj...@aol.com

Feb 2, 2005, 9:53:56 PM2/2/05
Gail .. you changed the subject .. line .. ?

Reason .. ?

Start a NEW thread IF you want to start a new .. thread ..

Logic ..

Advocate147

Feb 3, 2005, 6:41:23 PM2/3/05
Do you mean James Stein. He was pretty vocal so thought he would let us know
how he is doing. Hope real well, no matter what. Half the people I email
to drop out for good. don't know what that means.

gail michael

Maryjo

Feb 3, 2005, 8:44:00 PM2/3/05
Gail

The reason people drop out after you start emailing them is because of your
ideas of what caused Crohns - Colitis ... Granted we try to warn newbies of
your ideas .. but can not warn them all .......... You need to stop emailing
people with your ideas, so that they can get the useful and needed information
that they could get here in the newsgroup ........

Peace and Love
Maryjo

Advocate147

Feb 3, 2005, 9:14:10 PM2/3/05
Maryjo dear,

I am not going to say what I would like to as you would be terribly angry with
me.
And though it could help my cause, I do not wish to wish to make you angry, so
I will abstain.

Gail

Advocate147

Feb 3, 2005, 9:17:27 PM2/3/05
Also, my words cannot outweigh the beneficial posts here that newbies have
surely read and unless they are idiots would leave the information behind that
is given here.

Gail

Advocate147

Feb 3, 2005, 9:20:51 PM2/3/05
Yes, I did change the subject line, didn't know it mattered.
Didn't want to start a new thread as it seems easier to me to just make it a
reply rather than a new post. Didn't seem to be that important.
However, I will refrain from doing that again. I really didn't know it was not
acceptable.

Gail

mgbio

Feb 3, 2005, 10:59:53 PM2/3/05
No, but getting such a freaky e-mail as yours may scare newbies away from the help that may be available to them on Usenet before they ever read anything beneficial.

mgbio

Howard Jarrett

Feb 4, 2005, 1:54:58 AM2/4/05
Gail
Your theory is NONSENSE. You yourself many times said your theory makes no
sense; so I repeat myself and say YOUR THEORY IS NONSENSE, and it has no
place on a newsgroup where people with actual medical problems come to get
actual answers to questions.

Have you ever found even one person who thought your NONSENSE theory had any
merit??????????
Howard

"Advocate147" <advoc...@aol.com> wrote in message

Advocate147

Feb 4, 2005, 9:35:04 AM2/4/05
about freaky e-mail scaring newbies away.
Did it ever occur to you that maybe they don't need your help once they know
the cause.
and as for Howard's opinion, it is just that. an opinion. People are free to
select whatever approach to crohns they wish, and think is the most desirable
and effective.
Maybe a better question to ask, has anyone been harmed by my theory. Never
mind the harassment as some people claim, HARM is what Is being asked.
Of course, harassment is not a legitimate
option, but I try to NEVER harass, but perhaps in my zeal, sometimes do
unintentionally.
Please come forward if you have been harmed. Not the possibility that some
suggest harm is chasing people away.
Again, that is an opinion, you do not know for certain, and my opinion is
conjecture also, I am not getting paid to chase people away, so what is the
point.
Some I know have been helped, but the internet is such that a person can take
whatever help they get and say nothing, their object just being to get well.
And to be well is what I wish for everyone by writing my theory.

Sincerely
Gail

mgbio

Feb 4, 2005, 12:04:44 PM2/4/05
The people you harm ARE NOT HERE TO COME FORWARD, YOU SCARED THEM AWAY! You harm them by scaring them away from a place where they could learn valuable information from others who suffer from the same disease. Your pleas to come forward will never be seen by the people you've harmed.

mgbio

Princess

Feb 4, 2005, 12:11:59 PM2/4/05
Now you have me curious as to what she is writing. I'm not asking for her to
post it so as not to start any problems. But it doesn make me wonder how far
out there her 'theories' are. I would hope that anyone reading this
newsgroup or any other message board would consult with their physicians
before acting or doing anything drastic or even minor.

"Howard Jarrett" <hjar...@cox.net> wrote in message

Howard Jarrett

Feb 4, 2005, 3:08:25 PM2/4/05
To those who are new here is the Gail FAQ.
There is a link to it, and I also copied & pasted all of it below. Use your
own judgement.
Let common sense prevail.
Howard in Arizona
UC since 1995

http://ascc.healingwell.com/info/gailfaq.htm

The Gail Michaels Theory/FAQ Page
Why is this here? A good question, one that goes far back into the early
days of the newsgroup when someone posted her theory on the origins and
causes of Crohn's disease. Though well intending, her insistence in this
theory and its unpopularity created not a few problems on the newsgroup, and
a newsgroup intended for caring, spreading information and mutual support
became something of a battleground for flames. To combat the problem, our
founder created a FAQ that was to be posted to the newsgroup on a regular
basis informing people of the theory and asking that they not respond with
flames to the group. This was especially important since someone was sending
the theory to newbies and sometimes scaring them off -- as well as creating
additional flames. Now in all fairness to the Gail Michaels that I have come
to know, she can be a very caring, supportive person and has certainly been
supportive to me despite the fact that we disagree heartily on other issues.
When this problem came up again recently, we all felt that the issue should
be dealt with as an addendum to this page, but Gail felt that the FAQ as
written by Sue was not a fair representation of her theory. Regardless of
whether we agree with the theory, we all agreed that Gail deserved equal
representation. Therefore, we developed this page to try and provide equal
time for all sides involved. Please read this page. If you have questions or
concerns, please contact the individual by email. However, I would also like
to ask that you not contact Gail for the point of flaming her or insulting
her. She really does mean well, and she is a good person. And please, keep
discussion of this material off of the newsgroup.

Gail Michael "FAQ"

Version: 2.0 March 29, 1999
Frequency of posting: as often as necessary
Direct replies by email only to: s...@panix.com

Who is Gail Michael and what is her theory on the cause of Crohn's
Disease?

Gail Michael is an elderly woman who lives in Chicago. Gail believes
that a person contracts Crohn's Disease when close friends and relatives on
what she terms "uppers" (she includes antidepressants,
asthma medications and marijuana) think a lot about the affected person.
According to Gail, physical and/or verbal contact are unnecessary; if a
close friend or relative thinks intensely about someone while that close
friend or relative is on these drugs, then that is what is causing you to
suffer from Crohn's, even if you totally break off your relationship with
that person. Your own drug use has nothing to do with this theory; rather,
some sort of telepathy between the drug-taker and the person with Crohn's
appears to be at work.

Prior posts of Gail's have indicated (in no particular order) that

1. She believes people on what she terms "uppers" can also give pets
Crohn's Disease if they think a lot about the pets.

2. At least one physician has counseled her to see a psychiatrist but
she refuses.

3. She has broken off several friendships believing that this people
were causing her Crohn's by thinking intently about her while on drugs.

4. She once had stomach pains that she believed were caused by a nephew
who was taking an antidepressant after his wife died, and that she believes
ceased because her nephew committed suicide, and therefore was no longer
taking antidepressants.

5. She once accused a man of causing his sister-in-law to have a stroke
and die because he refused to stop using marijuana. The man told her that he
hadn't touched marijuana in 25 years.

Why is there a FAQ about Gail Michael?

Gail often replies to newbie posts by detailing her theory in a way that
some find difficult to understand and that many, for various reasons, find
provocative in the full sense of that word. Replies to her posts often
constitute flaming, which is disturbing to those who look for emotional
support in this newsgroup. More importantly, she has taken to targeting
newbies, especially newbies with suffering children, by email. This is a
group in particular need of strong positive emotional support and
information; what they don't need is for their first email after posting to
be disturbing enough to stop them from visiting the newsgroup.

What is the solution?

The best solution in this imperfect world is to REFRAIN FROM POSTING in
reply to Gail.

This FAQ will be posted every time Gail Michael posts so that the person
she is replying to knows exactly what her theory is.

To people who find her theory interesting or provocative in either a
positive or negative way, PLEASE, don't post. Please email Gail directly
with your comments or questions at . If you feel the need to complain about
her posts, the address to complain to is ab...@aol.com. Be polite and
include examples of her posts and the reason why they're a problem.

To people who find this FAQ interesting or provocative in either a
positive or negative way, PLEASE, don't post. Please email me directly at
s...@panix.com. Also email me if you want backup as to anything I have posted
in this FAQ, and I will be happy to email you past posts of Gail's I have
saved that back up all of these statements.

Gail Michael's Theory

This is a layman's theory on the cause of Crohn's, and quite possibly
UC, as they are similar, as written by Gail Michael. (Beaco...@aol.com)

Crohn's is caused by someone the crohnie knows well and is in a
relationship with (friend or family) who happens to be on a stimulant drug,
such as amphetamine, diet drug, anti-depressant, marijuana, cocaine,
depakaote, buspar, seratonin drug or 1 of many I could not know of that have
an anti-depressant in it as an ingredient. When that person is on the drug,
he/she can unknowingly cause a vulnerable person to develop the symptoms of
Crohn's. The strange and unbelievable part that defies logic is that the two
(or more) persons do not have to be in the same room for the crohnie to have
the symptoms. They can be miles and miles apart. All it takes is the mind
connection and the drug. Asking the person to cease the drug and substitute
it with a tranquilizer such as Valium or Ativan rarely will be successful,
as the person cannot believe that what they use or ingest can harm another
person.

In that case, I cease ALL contact with the person, hoping that time will
diminish and negate our thoughts of each other, because as long as the drug
and thoughts continue, so do the symptoms. Much like a divorce, it takes
time to release the thoughts.

As for children, younger than 16 or so, they rarely have friends that
are on a drug (or med, if that sounds better) so usually it is a caretaker
or parent that may be on an anti-depressant or one of the other meds, not
thinking it important to tell the child they are on the med. May I add, this
is not to say discontinue treatment with the physician, until the child or
person is completely feeling normal.

The latest med I discovered that has an antidepressant in it is
Flexeril, an anti-spasmodic, by looking in the PDR (Physicians Desk
Reference) and who would ever guess.

To cite something I was told by a pediatrician at the County Hospital in
Chicago, is that they have babies of drug addicted mothers that throw up
constantly. The doctor said they throw up because they are trying to bond
with the mother and cannot because she is on a hard drug. So they remove the
baby from the mothers care and have a surrogate mother take over.

The vomiting illness is called rumination. Their action is correct, but
their reasoning does not coincide with mine. I tried to explain, the baby IS
bonded with the mother but is reacting by throwing up BECAUSE of the
stimulant drug the mother is on.

Whether the idea was accepted or not, I cannot say. I realize it is a
difficult concept to understand. However, if one can identify with this
theory, or even if not, ask around and not be bashful, the results will be
the cessation of Crohn's and UC, if not immediately, then in the time that
is needed to break the bond. Some misconception about this theory.

The thoughts have to be bad thoughts. No, usually they are good thoughts
or any thoughts, because one tends to forget the person if they do not like
them.

The med or drug user is being accused of being a drug junkie. No, some
are illegal drugs, but most are the commonly used drugs prescribed by
physicians. The person that has Crohn's only a short time has an advantage,
because no drugs or surgeries complicate the matter. In a long standing
illness, there may be fallouts from the past treatments, but no matter, the
Crohn's will cease and no further new symptoms will occur.

This is not moral issue, it is a health issue to try get someone well.

I wish you well.

Sincerely

Gail Michael

mgbio

Feb 4, 2005, 3:49:15 PM2/4/05
Thanks Howard.

:) mgbio

Advocate147

Feb 4, 2005, 6:00:22 PM2/4/05
Thank you Howard. Rather than treatment forever, the theory is meant to help
one understand and lessen the illness or negate it completely if lucky.
People do get well on their own, for instance in unfortunate circumstances. a
person on a stimulant causing someone to have crohns dies, or perhaps one is
separated from the person on the med, there are many reasons for remission or
wellness. But of course, these are not the ones we wish for.

Gail

Maryjo

Feb 4, 2005, 6:52:45 PM2/4/05
Howard, It is so nice to see you ...

Peace and Love
Maryjo

Maryjo

Feb 4, 2005, 6:55:03 PM2/4/05
<G> Gail, I have had absolutely no problems in almost 4 years ... In my case
STRESS was my trigger ... Not someone on drugs !

Peace and Love
Maryjo

Advocate147

Feb 4, 2005, 8:33:25 PM2/4/05
Stress will never trigger crohns or every soldier on the front line would have
crohns

Gail

Advocate147

Feb 4, 2005, 8:32:42 PM2/4/05
Maryjo,

stress will never cause crohns.
Stress happens after crohns and exacerbates the condition.
When you say drugs, that has a funny connotation.
Plain innocent medications can cause Crohns
Gail

Howard Jarrett

Feb 4, 2005, 9:17:34 PM2/4/05
Maryjo,
Good to see you too.
Haven't been posting much lately.
My experience has been something like yours. Once I quit my stressful job
and retired my UC settled down. Haven't had any problem in a year and a
half.
Howard

"Maryjo" <mjreyn...@aol.comspamfree> wrote in message

mgbio

Feb 5, 2005, 7:23:42 PM2/5/05
Stress CAN trigger a CD flair for those who suffer from Crohn's Disease. This has been pretty well documented by physicians.

Where do you get your information to back this position?

mgbio

Maryjo

Feb 5, 2005, 8:24:38 PM2/5/05
Gail, I did not say stress caused Crohns .. I said that stress tends to make
IBD worse ... and I don't have Crohn's ... and normal medications does not
cause IBD either ..

Peace and Love
Maryjo

Maryjo

Feb 5, 2005, 8:26:51 PM2/5/05
I am so glad that your health has been behaving itself .. and how is the wife ?

I am still working at a company that manufactures MRI Coils .. and I love it ..
been there almost 4 years now ...

Time sure flies by when all is well .. I don't post alot, but sometimes I have
to put my two cents in .............

So, do you like it down south ?

Peace and Love
Maryjo

Maryjo

Feb 5, 2005, 8:29:30 PM2/5/05
mgbio ... she has been saying this for so long .. I have been posting and
reading this newsgroup since 1998 and it has been always the same ..... Stress
can trigger lots of diseases and ailments .

Peace and Love
Maryjo

Advocate147

Feb 5, 2005, 9:08:15 PM2/5/05
You know, MGbio, I don't know why I am bothering to answer. But I know you are
smarter than to say, "Stress CAN trigger a CD flair for those who suffer from
Crohn's Disease" which is correct, but does not address the reason crohns can
appear and then disappear. I agree with your statement totally. But that was
not the point in question.
We were talking about CAUSING Crohns. If stress does not CAUSE crohns and it
does not, then what caused one persons colitis to appear and then disappear.
Stress was only a factor while the illness was ongoing, so (thankfully) the
condition is gone and stress (while there is none or very little) is no longer
a factor.
Which leaves the question, what DID cause the crohns and what caused it to be
gone. That is the question my theory addresses.
Apparently we cannot present our position clearly enough, and you will end up
calling my post blathering.
Well, what position are you talking about for me to provide information to back
this position?
to repeat, of course, stress CAN trigger a CD flair for those who suffer from
crohns Disease, but repeat, it cannot cause crohns.
And ordinary meds do not harm the person taking them. What is so questionable
here in the theory is that I say the meds (stimulants) one person takes can
impact on another and cause crohns to the other by mind/body connection. Of
course, it is hard to believe, but there it is, you don't have to believe it,
and you do not, so what more can we say that could be of benefit or
clarification.

Gail

mgbio

Feb 5, 2005, 11:06:38 PM2/5/05
If we knew what caused CD we would have a fighting chance of finding a cure within 10 years. Right now, all theories are speculation. The ones most widely accepted are based their having stood up to the known data about the disease over time. As researchers learn more, they adjust their theories.

You are right, I will never think you ideas are more than magical thinking.

mgbio

Paul

Feb 5, 2005, 11:55:05 PM2/5/05
Gail, I don't know why I'm responding to you. I guess I'm just tired of your nonsense. Your theory is false for one
reason. Mind/body connections of any kind between two people do not exist. There is absolutely no proof that it does and
I am confident there never will be.

--
Paul
Visit our photo albums at http://www.laflammefamily.ca