My Co-Workers Are Parunts

IleneB

Oct 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/5/99

Not sure I'd call 'em breeders, although they seem to lack the idea
that it's a choice. All of 'em seemed, last night, to be exhausted,
depressed, miserable and stuck. One Nigerian guy has FOUR kids, works
full time nights, and is in school. He can walk around in REM sleep and
do his job (almost). Another has been a single dadeee since age 20, has
a nine-year-old, and is getting married next year. Says GF says "I
don't want to have kids with you if you're so tired". I suggested he
might agree! He says he's not sure but is trying to talk her out of two
kids, down to one. Last, new worker. Young woman, maybe 25 years old
max, easily 125 pounds overweight, just started working 3 nights a
week. Is walking into walls because she has a 6-month-old baby at home
and her husband works all day. I suggested maybe she should get a
babysitter in the house on work afternoons so she could sleep, and she
said that no one will babysit the baby because it has "water on the
brain", seizures, apnea, you-name-it. She says they're so broke, and
the in-laws helped them buy a very dump ugly house and it's so dreary
and can't afford to fix it at all.

She did seem very sad and depressed and said "You never know how things
will turn out, you think you can have it all perfect." I pointed out
that I never thought that, quite the contrary, I'm glad every day that
I'm not in jail or have an illness or unplanned pregnancy or something.
Then I thought (but didn't say), even if the baby was healthy, it'd
still need constant care, she'd still be working nights and not
sleeping, and they'd be just as broke. Why have a kid under those
circumstances?

(Our other co-worker is a religious Christian woman who's happily CF-
loves dogs and her church, one of those church-goers who does seem to
have an inner happiness about her. Even if she loves minature dogs
under 15 pounds.

Ilene B "another night shift"

Voris Tracy Van

Oct 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/5/99
Okay folks, here's a new thread for folks to share...

We've ALL heard, AD NAUSEUM about how hectic the lives of parents are,
what with all the running around they have to do in order to meet the
needs of their spawn.

I'd like to share with you a very typical evening that I very happily
spent with my husband. I'd like to point out that this is a *typical*
night, not a special night. We really do live this way:

Since my husband is currently temping here at the university, we commute
together. After work, we got home and played with the cat while listening
to Eric Clapton play a little blues. [No whining kids who need attention,
exceptional adult music, commute on public transportation.]

We decided that we didn't really want to go out or make anything serious
for dinner so we went to the freezer. For him - microwaved HotPockets;
for me - I fried up a few sausage links. Dessert? Rocky Road ice cream!
[No worrying about a standard nutritional meal this night.]

While eating dinner at around 7pm, we watched The Daily Show. [Late
dinner, adult comedy.]

Next we turned off the TV, turned on The Cramps Gravest Hits and proceeded
with the evenings Scrabble Challenge...which I won this time! [TV is not
the only entertainment, more adult-oriented music, adult conversation over
an adult game.]

After the game, we put on another cd - this time, Tom Verlaine. I did
some cross-stitching while my husband started to work on a star chart that
he is designing for a role-playing game for this weekend. [Once again,
more adult music, adult hobbies.]

We then watched That Seventies Show - great episode, Punk Chick.

Instead of taking a bubblebath, we decided to go right to bed. Although
the cat stood in the doorway with her kitty toy in her mouth, we ignored
her while we had sex. [Try doing that with a sprog around.]

Finally, my husband stayed up late to write more of his adventure, while I
curled up with a Victorian novel.

...and how was YOUR evening?

T.

Message has been deleted

Jeffrey Baker

Oct 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/5/99
Voris Tracy Van wrote:

> Okay folks, here's a new thread for folks to share...
>
> We've ALL heard, AD NAUSEUM about how hectic the lives of parents are,
> what with all the running around they have to do in order to meet the
> needs of their spawn.
>
> I'd like to share with you a very typical evening that I very happily
> spent with my husband. I'd like to point out that this is a *typical*
> night, not a special night. We really do live this way:

Hahaha, eggcellent.

Last night I picked up my fiance from work on our CBR600F4 motorcycle.
We also have two-seat car. We arrived at our flat a few minutes later,
checked the mail, and went inside. Opened up a credit card statement
(with zero balance) and threw them out. Popped some Maceo Parker in the
stereo and proceeded with our evening.

For dinner, a Hoisin-glazed flank steak, coconut rice and green beans,
which we ate at our two-seat cafe dining table by candlelight. Dearest
spent a few hours after dinner reading the San Francisco voters' guide,
and I worked on some electronics I've been building. Throughout the
evening we listened to funk music and later some quieter jazz.

Last Saturday, we met friends in Big Sur for an all-day outing, and on
Sunday I spent the entire day working on my car without interruption. I
performed zero errands and cleaned nothing other than myself.

Child free, two incomes, good living.

Cheers,
Jeffrey
--
Jeffrey W. Baker * j...@cp.net

Larisa Migachyov

Oct 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/5/99
Voris Tracy Van wrote:

> ...and how was YOUR evening?

Hectic; just the way I like it. Went to a seminar about Stanford's
aerospace projects; they're building mini-satellites and actually
launching them. Then, talked to the prof who heads the project after the
seminar; I might be able to get into one of the projects myself. Then,
had an hour's break to eat something out of a can and read Shadbolt's
"Strangers and Journeys" - interesting book. Then, went to a help session
about a software package we're supposed to be using (HSPICE). Then,
frantically (since I was already late) ran off to my choir rehearsal -
we're doing Bernstein's "Chichester Psalms", which is really fun to sing.
After the rehearsal, went home, had a relaxing cup of tea, and surfed
newsgroups. Not the kind of evening everyone would enjoy, perhaps; but I
like it this way.

--
Larisa (overscheduled and liking it!)

John & Mari Morgan

Oct 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/5/99
On Tue, 5 Oct 1999 11:29:09 -0400, Voris Tracy Van
<alu...@panther.Gsu.EDU> wrote:

>Instead of taking a bubblebath, we decided to go right to bed. Although
>the cat stood in the doorway with her kitty toy in her mouth, we ignored
>her while we had sex. [Try doing that with a sprog around.]

I thought of something much like that last night as I was dozing off.
I joke about having a Famblee Bed because the cat usually hops up and
joins us at night. (She's gotten a bit odd lately - completely
antisocial until someone is in the bed, at which time she just can't
get enough attention! Weird little beast.) Sometimes she shoves her
warm furry little purring self right up between us to demand
attention. But I can toss her off the bed to go sleep in the laundry
pile or whatever! Which the Famblee Bedders who are sharing their
space with sproggen can't do. Bwahahaha!

DH is at school after work three nights a week these days, and usually
one or two other nights are taken up with massage appointments so he
doesn't get home until 9 or so. (We are saving for a new-to-us car, as
the Jeep gave us a very bad scare recently. We'd like a little
econobox type this time, something just big enough to fit the massage
table into, and want to have the time and cash to look for a while.)
So most of my evenings are spent solo these days - often either on
IRC, reading, talking on the phone, or watching something "boring and
educational" on TV. :-) DH jokes that this would be the perfect time
for me to have an affair, with all this undisturbed time!

When the spousal unit is home, those are usually the days for running
errands and getting takeout to munch in front of some silly TV or
while relaxing with books. If we're lucky enough to not have any stuff
outside home to do, we spend some time cooking together as we both
enjoy messing around in the kitchen - lots of slap-and-tickle and a
good bit of canoodling in between sauteing the onions and stirring the
pasta.

We go to bed early whenever we can and snuggle up to talk for a while,
and maybe have sex (yee-hah!). DH goes to sleep early (he gets up at 5
AM) but I'm an insomniac so I read, watch tv, clean quietly, or goof
online until 2 or 3 AM. From the outside it is an incredibly boring
life - we're homebodies - but I am quite content with it. Of course
we'd like more time together, but he's only got another several months
of evening classes left so we know the chaotic stuff will come to an
end, and we plan to move closer to his work to cut commuting time.

Mari (watching the silly cat cover up her food dish again)
-
Trying to win an argument with an irrational person is like
trying to teach a cat to snorkel by providing written instructions.
--Scott Adams

HCF

Oct 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/5/99

Lorz wrote:

> x-no-archive: yes

> Voris Tracy Van wrote:
>
> > Okay folks, here's a new thread for folks to share...
> >
> > We've ALL heard, AD NAUSEUM about how hectic the lives of parents are,
> > what with all the running around they have to do in order to meet the
> > needs of their spawn.
>

> > ...and how was YOUR evening?

Last night I drove home from a town 30 miles away. I'd been running errands
there all day and visited my lovely mother who tells me often how much she
respects the choice I've made not to have kids. My mother is very cool:)

While running the errands, I decided to have a late lunch/early dinner at my
favorite restaurant. A steak fajita burrito which was excellent. I spent the
whole time at the table eating my meal and reading a great murder mystery. No
sproggen interrupting me.

I came home, hopped into a wonderfully refreshing shower, talked to DH about his
day and then watched TV for a few hours. Went to bed and dozed off waking at 10am
this morning. I love being CF!

HCF

Oct 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/5/99

John & Mari Morgan wrote:

> I thought of something much like that last night as I was dozing off.
> I joke about having a Famblee Bed because the cat usually hops up and
> joins us at night. (She's gotten a bit odd lately - completely
> antisocial until someone is in the bed, at which time she just can't
> get enough attention! Weird little beast.) Sometimes she shoves her
> warm furry little purring self right up between us to demand
> attention. But I can toss her off the bed to go sleep in the laundry
> pile or whatever! Which the Famblee Bedders who are sharing their
> space with sproggen can't do. Bwahahaha!

Our cats are doing something very similar to that lately. They jump up on
the bed when we go to sleep and they absolutely love to lie ON me. On my
back or whichever way I happen to be sleeping. They also like to get up and
sleep next to my head which is irritating because it bothers my scalp and
makes it all itchy. They don't have fleas so that isn't the problem but I
think their hair just irritates the follicles or something.

> educational" on TV. :-) DH jokes that this would be the perfect time
> for me to have an affair, with all this undisturbed time!

Sounds like a plan to me:) And IIRC you guys have an open marriage right?
Go for it Mari:)

Karellen

Oct 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/6/99
Ilene<<All of 'em seemed, last night, to be exhausted, depressed, miserable and
stuck.>>

I am also encountering this. I have two new "work neighbors" who are parents
of teens. I guess I've just never spent much time around parents of teens, but
they are a different breed. They are so *ANGRY* all the time! One was saying
that when she brings home two gallons of milk, it's gone the next day, and her
voice was just *shaking* with anger as she said it. I don't know if she
expected empathy from me, but I just sort of wanted to laugh and say, "Huh."

The other I hear on the phone with her kid, and she's so very belittling to the
kid and "now do this, and don't forget to do that, and be sure you (blah blah
blah)." (To be fair, her husband is ill and she's stressed, but she then
treats some of the younger folks she supervises in the same condescending
"there's no brain your head" manner. They've had a high turnover rate; wonder
why....) Fortunately she's not in my department.

I had sort of thought that by the time the kids got older, the parents would
mellow out a bit, but I'm wondering if they're either (1) angry at the freedom
their kids have (that they don't have) or (2) feeling "competition" with their
emerging-adult children.

Interesting, though....
**********
....And help me to remember, when I'm having a really bad day,
And it seems that people are trying to piss me off,
That it takes 42 muscles to frown
And only 4 to extend my middle finger and tell them to bite me.

Valerie

Oct 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/6/99
In article <37fa5dc6...@news.mindspring.com>, <monica> wrote:

>Not terribly exciting, but it's so nice to just be able to do my own
>thing when I want, where I want, and with whom I want withougt some
>small shreiking thing constantly demanding something of me. (not
>counting Louis, of course)

Waaaaaaaah! I want my house back! Sigh...

I have a guest. He is a helpful guest who does dishes and laundry and
mops the kitchen floor, but he is so indisputably THERE... even his
screensaver is noisy! One more month and he'll have finished up his
degree and be moving into his own place...

Normally, my evening is:

Work late and either go dancing or go home and putter around the house.
I actually *like* doing laundry and getting little things done. Read,
have a nice dinner, be quiet in a quiet place. If I feel like company, I
go dancing. I like it.

Nice as it is to have someone else do the dishes, I'm looking forward to
next month. Then I can go visit him in his place and move HIS stuff
around!!!! <MANIACAL LAUGHTER>

No, really, I'm fine, why do you ask?

Val

Linda Dachtyl

Oct 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/6/99

ok...today

Woke up. Kissed hubby before he went to work.

Made some coffee, smoked a few cigs, looked at my music theory lessons
plans.

Practiced the drums for about 1/2 hour.

Went to the doc for a check-up, met hubby for lunch.

Went to work to teach private music students.

Went to the the store.

Talked on the phone to musician friends.

Hubby came home from teaching music lessons.

Am now writing this letter on the computer.

Tuesday is my "day off" from the college, but I still teach lessons.
Uneventful day.

My week consists of teaching at the college, teaching lessons, going to
rehearsals, practicing drums and keyboards, gigging on the weekends with
rock, jazz or classical groups. Put in a couple of sessions of music
composition and that is pretty much what I do all the time.

My husband works a computer job, gigs, teaches a drum line at a high
school, teaches music at a college, manages a community orchestra.

For recreational dining we go to exotic restaurants as often as possible.
Sushi, Indian, Oriental, etc...go to RenFests, movies at the drop of a hat.

It is a good life...the childfree one!!!

Linda

Jade

Oct 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/6/99
Day in my CF life, hmmm

Woke up at noon. No one gives a shit if I fix breakfast, so I always sleep
until lunch, heh.

Ripped old siding off part of house around fireplace. Learned that this house
is so old they used twigs and leaves and dirt for insulation when it was built.
Also learned I have water damage inside the walls.

Ran back to Walmart for caulk, Ran to the hardware store for some wall studs
and water sealant.

Got home, realized I forgot the damn caulk gun. Back to Walmart where I could
witness the joy known as Parenthood In Walmart. Mentally pat myself on the back
for being clever enough to make the boys wear a raincoat back when I was young
and considerably wilder/dumber.

Back home, replace twigs and leaves with *gasp* REAL insulation, then put new
siding in place. Enough hard work.

Read a book written by an old cowboy about his adventures in the early 1900s.
Read the entire thing uninterrupted... why? Because (chorus) I have no kids to
demand I fix them a drink/see what they did/blow up the toilet.

Played chess on the computer for a bit, lost abysmally until I reset it to Easy
Easy 1, so I could pretend I really won. (this chess game cheats, btw)

Surfed the web, looked at some trees that boast 15 ft a year growth, researched
how bathrooms looked back in the 20s for when I get off my ass and finish this
bathroom, priced a slipper tub complete with claw feet and a matching sink and
toilet and bidet.

Had macaroni for dinner, and a couple of soft drinks.

Horse got sick, called the vet yet again (his wife prolly thinks I have the
hots for him by now). Gave the vet an obscene amount of money, but it's ok
because I don't have to buy school supplies for the OshKosh squad.

Popped in a Fiona Apple CD so I could unwind a little (she sure beats the hell
out of Raffi) and hopped on the news groups to see what was going on.

Boring? Sure, but it beats screaming at Skankleigh for wrecking the house or
trying to iron the cat.

Jade
who will prolly be up until 4 am, and then repeat it all again

cassia...@my-deja.com

Oct 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/6/99

>Tracy asked:

>...and how was YOUR evening?

Cassia writes:

Unfortunately, I am ill with a cold.

I am sniffly, sneezy, coughing and congested.
I am sleeping 16 hours a day.
I am kind of grumpy.(I don't have to worry about sproggly's feelings)
because...I am CF.
I need my rest. The house is quiet 24/7 because...I am CF.
So I am waking, napping and going to bed when I want because...I am CF.
I can stay at home and NOT pass this cold to workplaces, schools and
homes because...I am CF.
I nibble at nutrious foods and juices at any hour (not making meals for
the kids) because....I am CF.
I left several packages of cold medication and syrups on my bathroom
countertop for days because..I am CF.

In my few semi-conscious moments -

I dropped due books on tape in the library shute.
I researched on the internet about yurts/gers. (mongolian large tent-
dwellings)(I may be building or buying one to use as a summer house next
year)
I compiled 22 pages of Yurt Construction advice into a neat document (2-
3 hours) while listening to a book on tape.
I browsed newsgroups for 2 hours.
I talked long distance on the phone to an old friend for 3 hours.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Rebecca

Oct 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/6/99
I had Monday and Tuesday off, so my days have gone like this:

Hubby up at 7am and off to classes by 8:30 am. He doesn't have to drop anyone
off at day care nor does he need to wake me up to take over the child-watching.

I rolled out of bed at 11:15am (I work 3 to 11 pm, and am behind on sleep by
the time my days off roll around).

I did the dishes, did the laundry, did the ironing for next week's outfits.

I took a hose, bleach, soap and water down to the basement to clean up all the
cat accidents (only a cat would be considerate enough to have his FUS problems
in the basement unlike the el*m*nation t*ming brats I could of had). I then
enzymed the hell out of the basement....hope it works.

I had to take same cat to vet, where of course he had no urine to share with
the vet. I was given the bill ($50, no biggie since I have no kids!).

DH and I decided we didn't want to cook, so we had a bag of Fritos for dinner
on Monday, and take out Chinese on Tuesday.

DH did homework, I tried to uncover the dining room table while I watched tv.

Had dessert while laughing over ASCF and the moderated group.

Eventually we went to bed and read for a bit before turning out the lights.

Pretty boring, but that's a normal CF day for us (minus the trip to the vet).

Rebecca

Vera Izrailit

Oct 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/6/99
In alt.support.childfree Voris Tracy Van <alu...@panther.Gsu.EDU> wrote:

: ...and how was YOUR evening?

I had a test, which ended at 7pm. After studying for it for a few days
and sleeping very little for a few nights I was stressed out and tired
like a parent, and felt the need to unwind.

I called a CF friend and asked her for a glass of beer (or 2, or 3).
She accepted the invitation [no sprogs to go home to] and we agreed
to meet downtown in 40 minutes.

While waiting for her I bought a small (0.2l) bottle of sparkling wine
and drank it in the street from the bottle.

At 8 she came and said that she was hungry as well as thirsty. We
decided to go to a restaurant. I suggested Farouge, a Lebanese
restaurant that is supposed to be very good and where I had never been
before. She agreed.

The restaurant was a lot more expensive than I expected, [but what the
hell, we don't need money for back-to-school supplies for sproggen].
It was worth every penny (or rather penni), too. The food and wine
were delicious, and I still regret that I had no space inside me to
fit a dessert in.

We went to a very good cocktail bar for cocktails, and then moved to
a bar where her boyfriend was discussing some RPG with 2 other guys.
Had some beer, talked some more.

Got home by midnight [no sproggen to feed or look after] and considered
doing my Dutch homework. Figured that the Dutch homework can wait till
the next day, read a book for a while and went to sleep early, at 1.

It was a rather typical evening, except for the test and the expensive
restaurant. My evenings usually consist of books, movies and hanging
out with friends, sometimes studying or working.

One reason why I can't imagine having a sprog or a pet is that when
I leave home in the morning I don't really know when and whether I
will come at night. Usually I stay and do something in the city
straight after work, without going home.

--
Vera Izrailit

Naomi Diesendruck

Oct 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/6/99
Ginny <red57...@aol.com> wrote:

>Hmm. My schedule yesterday:
[snip]
>Watched TV in my usual fashion, via remote and clicking a lot.
>Was interested in a science program about the emotions of animals.
>It is gratifying to know that there are researchers out there tickling
>rats and recording subharmonic vocalizations they describe as
>"rat laughter" for science.
>
>Wondered if Rat or Swan saw the same show.
>
>Made pasta with pesto sauce, played new game with cat called
>"You can't see me! Yes you can! Aiyeee! " and wondered if I could
>possibly hear "cat laughter" if I tickled him the way he likes.

One of my cats used to get this weird, high-pitched bubbly sound
to his purr when you tickled him a certain way - DH and I referred
to it as "laughing", though we have no idea if it really was.
(the cat's still living, but he's old and his purr has gotten so
soft I can rarely hear it. My ears are old, too. At least he still
purrs :) )

And about your collapsed co-worker - yikes!! I'm glad it wasn't
a heart attack, and hope he/she will be OK and out of the hospital
soon.

- Na*mi

Linda Dachtyl

Oct 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/6/99

Today:

Woke up..kissed hubby before he went to work.

Made coffee.

Smoked a few cigs.

Read the paper and had a light breakfast.

Called the band leader to check on gig money.

Wrote a review sheet for my theory class.

Read the email/newsgroups.

Will go to a middle school to teach some drum classes starting at 12:30.

Will then go to the college around 2:30 to teach a theory class and and
then work with percussionists on their wind ensemble parts until about
6:30.

Will pick up money from the band leader for the gig.

Will go home and relax and maybe have a nice drink with a supper in the
quiet atmosphere of my home.

Will practice drums or keys, depending on how late it is.

Will construct a test for theory students.

Will spend time with my husband when he gets home from his day of teaching
at the college.

Isn't life a great without having to run kids to soccer practice, argue
with them to do their homework, etc. etc. etc. etc. after the work day
ends?

Linda

Jennifer

Oct 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/6/99
>It is gratifying to know that there are researchers out there tickling
>rats and recording subharmonic vocalizations they describe as
>"rat laughter" for science.

Don't forget the private individuals tickling rats every day : )

***Jennifer
"If there is anything the nonconformist hates worse than a conformist, it's
another nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standard of
nonconformity." - Bill Vaughan

HCF

Oct 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/6/99

cassia...@my-deja.com wrote:

> I left several packages of cold medication and syrups on my bathroom
> countertop for days because..I am CF.

I hope you start to feel better soon! Those colds can really knock you on
your ass for awhile. When I have them, I always thank God a thousand times
a day that I am CF because I cannot imagine being in my ill state and having
to care for some kid.

Now, I want to comment on the statement you made above. I think about that
kind of thing a lot. Just yesterday, I got to thinking how decidedly child
unfriendly our home is. I leave knives pointing up in the dishwasher, we
leave the fireplace open when things aren't burning in it, we've got
medications lying around all over the place. I love it that we don't have
to watch every little thing we leave out!

hilary

Oct 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/6/99
In article <37FB6A88...@childfree.com>,

HCF <h...@childfree.com> wrote:
Just yesterday, I got to thinking how decidedly child
> unfriendly our home is. I leave knives pointing up in the
dishwasher, we
> leave the fireplace open when things aren't burning in it, we've got
> medications lying around all over the place. I love it that we don't
have
> to watch every little thing we leave out!

I agree. Hey, if my cats are smart enough not to eat medicine or light
themselves on fire why aren't runts? Gives one pause (or should that be
"paws"), no?
Hilary

--
A woman without a child is like a fish without a bicycle.

E*Borg

Oct 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/6/99
This weekend was the pinnacle of CF behavior for me:

Friday night, I went out to the Diamond Club after work and played
10/20 Texas Hold'em until 4 AM, cashing out for US$367 more than I
cashed in for. The Favorite Sin went to the gym, then came home and got
in a bubble bath for an hour before going to bed. [No kids to watch.
Nobody to be a "bad influence" on. No complaints about my not "pulling
my weight with the kids." No immediate crisis to suck up the money.]

Saturday, woke up at the crack of midafternoon, puttered around the
apartment in my underware, nursing my caffeine-deprivation headache.
Cuddled in front of the TV. Got dressed at a liesurely pace. Went to
see Mozart's _The Magic Flute_ at the New York City Opera. Went to
Cafe Mozart for dinner afterwards. [No screaming kids exacerbating my
headache. Nobody to get dressed for. No babysitter. No kids screaming
about being hungry because we didn't eat until 11:30.]

Sunday, woke up at noonish. Cuddled in bed until about two. Nursed my
caffeine deprivation headache. Got dressed at a liesurely pace. Took
my parents and sibs (all 17+ in age) to One If By Land, Two If By Sea
for my parents' 25th wedding anniversary. Came home. Relaxed in front
of the TV for an hour. Dozed off on couch. [No unwelcome bodies in
bed. No rugrats screaming about how they hate the food. Nobody
jumping on me on the couch.]

Admittedly, this weekend did not include any Loud Sex, which is the
pinnacle of CF behavior, but it *was* made possible by a grant from the
Not In My Womb Foundation.

--E*Borg

John & Mari Morgan

Oct 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/6/99
On Tue, 05 Oct 1999 18:57:16 -0700, HCF <h...@childfree.com> wrote:

>> DH jokes that this would be the perfect time
>> for me to have an affair, with all this undisturbed time!
>
>Sounds like a plan to me:) And IIRC you guys have an open marriage right?
>Go for it Mari:)

Yeah, we're poly (although DH has had to break up with his girltoy for
lack of time, so we're temporarily monogamous-by-default *grin*). I
guess it's time to go trollin' for playmates! Oh, to be able to
teleport...

Mari

Snow Lynn

Oct 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/6/99
>Yeah, we're poly (although DH has had to break up with his girltoy for
>lack of time, so we're temporarily monogamous-by-default *grin*). I
>guess it's time to go trollin' for playmates! Oh, to be able to
>teleport...

Wooo!! You two have sex with people other than your spouse? Doesn't jealousy
ever enter the picture? What if either of you falls in love with your lover?
This is a brew for disaster.

Noelle Gresham

Oct 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/6/99

cassia...@my-deja.com wrote in message <7tepg9$6ql$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>...

>Unfortunately, I am ill with a cold.

Ugh. I have a sinus infection or something similar. I always go through this
when the seasons change from summer to autumn (which, in Texas, is no smooth
transition but rather a manic-depressive stuttering between hot and cold).
Although I'll feel much better once the weather finally cools off and stays
cool, by that time people will be cranking heaters hither and yon, because
in Texas, we're not happy unless we're hot and sweating.

Noelle Gresham

Oct 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/6/99

Naomi Diesendruck wrote in message <7tfn68$9...@news-central.tiac.net>...

>One of my cats used to get this weird, high-pitched bubbly sound
>to his purr when you tickled him a certain way - DH and I referred
>to it as "laughing", though we have no idea if it really was.
>(the cat's still living, but he's old and his purr has gotten so
>soft I can rarely hear it. My ears are old, too. At least he still
>purrs :) )

My most vocal kitty, Alistaire, will hold a conversation with you. I got up
in the middle of the night last night to go to the bathroom and when I came
back, he "sonar'ed" me by meowing until I found my way back to the bed.
Before that, he'd woken us both up by making a weird, sleepy, "quack" noise
when one or the other of us moved slightly and disturbed him (he was
sleeping between our pillows). When Al is *really* happy, like when I first
get home at night, he's very aggressive with the "pet-me" attitude and will
incorporate a trilling sound into his purring (which is considerably loud on
its own) so that he sounds like he's purring and meowing at the same time.
Usually accomplished with mouth just slightly open and drool engaged.

Noelle Gresham

Oct 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/6/99
>In alt.support.childfree Voris Tracy Van <alu...@panther.Gsu.EDU> wrote:
>
>: ...and how was YOUR evening?

Since I didn't check e-mail yesterday, I'm assuming we're talking about
Tuesday. Tuesdays and Thursdays are long days for me, as they start very
early with morning classes and end up with working late. My Advanced Grammar
and Composition class, which seems to be turning more and more into an
Ancient Greek Philosophy class because the teacher has a thing about ancient
Greece, had a lecture about Cicero's "On Duties". I was a bit disappointed,
though, because the teacher, who seems to be CF (she doesn't have kids, but
I'm not going to make assumptions about her motives for such) made a comment
about what could be the worst pain imaginable, and then asked the class (all
women): "You know what the worst pain in the world is, right?" and everyone
who had kids answered "Childbirth". I thought, "Kidney stones."

Got an A- on my research paper (which concerned the duties and roles of
women in ancient Athens and which profiled three women--Sappho, Phryne, and
Hypatia--who lived outside those roles). The reason I got an A- instead of
an A was because on my "Works Cited" page, I failed to document a website
correctly. D'oh!

Went out for a leisurely breakfast after my morning class. Read the
newspaper. Did a little casual shopping, bought a new outfit for work. Went
home, showered, got dressed, went to my afternoon class. Found out that I'd
stayed up late Monday night doing not one, but two assignments that aren't
due until next week. Felt a little sleep-deprived but glad that I didn't
have to mess with these later one.

Got my car inspected on my way to work, now I'm driving legally. Work was
uneventful (except we had to take part in a fluffy "employee satisfaction
survey". Started feeling weird and headachey around 9 pm. Caught myself
actually nodding off at my desk. Was starting to feel the beginnings of a
sinus problem. Went home around 1 am, crashed and burned. DH was already in
bed when I got home.

Got to sleep in late today because I don't have classes on Mondays or
Wednesdays. And, of course, because the only children I have are the kind
that walk on four feet and have fur and whiskers. Didn't go to work
today--sick--so will probably have to work Saturday to make up the hours, my
job is flexible that way.

Tricia

Oct 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/6/99
E*Borg wrote:

but it *was* made possible by a grant from the
> Not In My Womb Foundation.
>
> --E*Borg

ROFLMAO! Good One!!

Jim

Oct 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/6/99

Voris Tracy Van wrote:

> Okay folks, here's a new thread for folks to share...
>
> We've ALL heard, AD NAUSEUM about how hectic the lives of parents are,
> what with all the running around they have to do in order to meet the
> needs of their spawn.

[snip]

> ...and how was YOUR evening?
>

> T.

Since Patty & I both work about 35 miles away from home, in opposite
directions, we don't get home until 6:15pm. I made dinner and prepared
our morning stuff (lunches, espresso machine) while Patty checked the
mail and worked on our finances. We caught _Win Ben Stein's Money_ and
then watched a tape of _The Practice_ from Sunday. Patty surfed garden
and travel sites while I read a mystery novel, and then I read a.s.c.*
for a while. We ended up in bed around 10:15, since we had to get up at
6:15am. Nothing major, but we live a quiet, pleasant life.

Jim

HCF

Oct 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/6/99

cassia...@my-deja.com wrote:

> Thanks for the sentiment.
> Due to a chronic illness (FM) that I have, my immune system is really
> screwed up.
> I catch every cold and flu going.
> Mostly, a cold will put me on my ass for 12-24 weeks.
> (I am trying very hard to not live like 'Howard Hughes')
> The last thing that I need is a 'little germ vector' in the house.

No doubt because then you would have to live in a plastic bubble. Kids catch and bring every single virus known to man home with them.

> The relatively non-child-proof apartment is the excuse I have used for a
> couple of people who wanted to bring children here.
> Nowadays, (due to the influence of ASCF) I just say "No Way",
> If pushed, I will trot out a few reasons the main one is that I pay for
> the place and make the rules.

Good for you!!

Lisque

Oct 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/7/99

Just have to share this cos it's part of my day today...

... I just picked up my new car from the smash repairers. Why am I picking
it up from there if it's new? Because 2 weeks ago, some useless, brain
deficient, ill-bred, unleashed spawn decided it would be fun to fire bomb
it. That's right.. they FIRE-BOMBED it!! A cool $4k worth of damage to the
auto-electrical system and rear of the car.. four new panels, 2 tail lights,
new muffler and a whole bunch of rewiring later, my insurance company are
hurting. Hmmm... so am I, seeing as I had to fork out the excess.. *grrrr*

.. exactly which little turnips running around untethered in the middle of
the night did this, I don't know, but if I _ever_ find out and manage to get
my hands on the scourge.. I'll be posting you all from that sanctuary called
Gaol.

Lisque.

(.. sizzle sizzle fizzle..)

cassia...@my-deja.com

Oct 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/7/99

>>Cassia writes:
>>Unfortunately, I am ill with a cold.

>"Angelmoon" <computer...@exite.com>
>Feel better soon.

Cassia writes:
Thank you

cassia...@my-deja.com

Oct 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/7/99

Cassia writes:

Thanks for the sentiment.
Due to a chronic illness (FM) that I have, my immune system is really
screwed up.
I catch every cold and flu going.
Mostly, a cold will put me on my ass for 12-24 weeks.
(I am trying very hard to not live like 'Howard Hughes')
The last thing that I need is a 'little germ vector' in the house.

The relatively non-child-proof apartment is the excuse I have used for a

couple of people who wanted to bring children here.
Nowadays, (due to the influence of ASCF) I just say "No Way",
If pushed, I will trot out a few reasons the main one is that I pay for
the place and make the rules.

Valerie

Oct 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/7/99
In article <7tgs2c$ofe$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>, <cassia...@my-deja.com> wrote:

>The relatively non-child-proof apartment is the excuse I have used for a
>couple of people who wanted to bring children here.

I've been trying to inner-child-proof my place, but that junk food keeps
getting in here somehow...

Val

Jade

Oct 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/7/99
>From: "Angelmoon" computer...@exite.com
>Date: Wed, 06 October 1999 09:39 AM EDT
>
>x-no-archive:yes
>
>Jade wrote in message <19991006004509...@ng-ch1.aol.com>...

>>Day in my CF life, hmmm
>>
>>Woke up at noon. No one gives a shit if I fix breakfast, so I always sleep
>>until lunch, heh.

<snip about working on the place>

>Jade, if you work that hard every day, you DESERVE to sleep till noon!
>I'm impressed.

I'm just trying to get the north side
recaulked/waterproofed/insulated/siding/painted before winter kicks in. The
central heat is fried, so it will be fireplace only for this winter. Gotta get
this place sealed up tight, at least on the side the northers hit. I finished
the sections by the fireplace, now I'm working my way down the north side of
the house.
After I'm done, I'll go back to being lazy. =)

Jade
well, as lazy as you can be with 4 dogs, 14 cats, 3 kittens, and so on... and
so on...

Jade

Oct 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/7/99
>In article <37FB6A88...@childfree.com>,
> HCF <h...@childfree.com> wrote:
>Just yesterday, I got to thinking how decidedly child
>> unfriendly our home is. I leave knives pointing up in the
>dishwasher, we
>> leave the fireplace open when things aren't burning in it, we've got
>> medications lying around all over the place. I love it that we don't
>have
>> to watch every little thing we leave out!

Heh, when you live like that, it helps keep others from bringing their sprog to
your house to play. I have guns all over the place, mostly junk ones that are
more for decoration than anything else, but there are quite a few here that
work (and work very well). It keeps my BNP bro and sil from bringing their
greasy monkeys over, since both are dumb enough to shoot the other should they
get their greasy mitts on one, or at least thwap each other over the head with
the barrel.

Jade
thinking the little shits are more likely to get their foreheads flattened by
bothering the 200 pound goats, but they just don't have the scare factor that
the 80 year old broken shotgun hanging on the wall does

John & Mari Morgan

Oct 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/7/99
On Thu, 07 Oct 1999 01:12:52 GMT, cassia...@my-deja.com wrote:

>Due to a chronic illness (FM) that I have, my immune system is really
>screwed up.
>I catch every cold and flu going.

That's really fascinating, Cassia, since I also have FM and rarely
catch _any_ of the colds or flus going around. If I do succumb to one,
they'll last three or four days instead of 7-10. My immune system
seems to be on "super high rev" all the time and is just happy as a
pig in mud when it has some real bug to work on instead of just
chewing me up! *laugh* I wonder if maybe we have a different
constellation of "other stuff" (I've never known anyone who has _only_
FM, it seems to travel with friends) that affects our immune systems
differently. *ponder*

Mimsy Borogoves

Oct 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/7/99
Ginny (red57...@aol.com) shared this with us:

[snip]
: Watched TV in my usual fashion, via remote and clicking a lot.
: Was interested in a science program about the emotions of animals.
: It is gratifying to know that there are researchers out there tickling

: rats and recording subharmonic vocalizations they describe as
: "rat laughter" for science.

Ooh! What network/show was this, if you remember? I keep pet rats
and am fascinated by shows about their behaviour. My guys have
distinct personalities and their likes and dislikes. I've never heard
about the "rat laughter" before.

Thanks,
Melanie

--
la...@magenta.com -+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+- http://www.magenta.com/~laria
"...All mimsy were the borogoves..." - Lewis Carroll

Lisque

Oct 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/8/99
>-> (.. sizzle sizzle fizzle..)
>->
>Jesus Palomino, Lisque! Did you file a police report? Is there
>anything they can do? I think you should write a strongly worded
>letter to the editor. Maybe that would ferret out the
>perpetrator.

The police and fire brigade both arrived on the scene and reports were made,
however the cause wasn't certain clear to anyone at that point. Once an
electrical fault had been ruled out by n auto-electrician, the police
interviewed people in the street the next morning and it became apparent
there were some 13 and 14 year old having a party down the street. Just
before my car was firebombed, a few kids had woken up the neighbours with
their yelling - they were apparently drunk and smashing bottles further up
the street! Because of those brats who they still haven't found, I had to
cancel a 10 day holiday touring the south-western region of NSW in which I
really wanted to photograph some of the very small farming towns in the area
which are dying slowly.. *pout*.. instead, I stayed in Sydney, got sunburnt
and drunk on alternative days, did cryptic crosswords, wrote more on my
book, went to the see a bunch of live bands.. hmmm.. guess it wasn't that
bad after all! Today I did four hours piano practise and altho' my fingers
ache, it still feels damn good to play the last movement of the Moonlight at
top speed... heh. Holidays are almost over.. hope you had a great day too
Jeri Jo... =)

Lisque.

Macy

Oct 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/11/99
Your use of the terms sprog and spawn are truly repugnant. I guess
there are sick people all over the world =(

<alu...@panther.Gsu.EDU> wrote:

>Okay folks, here's a new thread for folks to share...
>
>We've ALL heard, AD NAUSEUM about how hectic the lives of parents are,
>what with all the running around they have to do in order to meet the
>needs of their spawn.
>

>I'd like to share with you a very typical evening that I very happily
>spent with my husband. I'd like to point out that this is a *typical*
>night, not a special night. We really do live this way:
>
>Since my husband is currently temping here at the university, we commute
>together. After work, we got home and played with the cat while listening
>to Eric Clapton play a little blues. [No whining kids who need attention,
>exceptional adult music, commute on public transportation.]
>
>We decided that we didn't really want to go out or make anything serious
>for dinner so we went to the freezer. For him - microwaved HotPockets;
>for me - I fried up a few sausage links. Dessert? Rocky Road ice cream!
>[No worrying about a standard nutritional meal this night.]
>
>While eating dinner at around 7pm, we watched The Daily Show. [Late
>dinner, adult comedy.]
>
>Next we turned off the TV, turned on The Cramps Gravest Hits and proceeded
>with the evenings Scrabble Challenge...which I won this time! [TV is not
>the only entertainment, more adult-oriented music, adult conversation over
>an adult game.]
>
>After the game, we put on another cd - this time, Tom Verlaine. I did
>some cross-stitching while my husband started to work on a star chart that
>he is designing for a role-playing game for this weekend. [Once again,
>more adult music, adult hobbies.]
>
>We then watched That Seventies Show - great episode, Punk Chick.
>
>Instead of taking a bubblebath, we decided to go right to bed. Although
>the cat stood in the doorway with her kitty toy in her mouth, we ignored
>her while we had sex. [Try doing that with a sprog around.]
>
>Finally, my husband stayed up late to write more of his adventure, while I
>curled up with a Victorian novel.

Jacqueline

Oct 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/11/99
Yes, and they are the ones sprogging and spawning.

Jacqueline
It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Macy <macy...@aol.com> wrote in message

dph...@my-deja.com

Oct 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/11/99
In article <qW4BOBFQOUlzxq...@4ax.com>,

Macy <macy...@aol.com> wrote:
> Your use of the terms sprog and spawn are truly repugnant. I guess
> there are sick people all over the world =(

If someone held you and down and forced you to read ASCF then
you should call the police and report it. If not, then you
should buzz-off.

This is alt.support.CHILDFREE, we say things that offend breeders.
Deal with it.

--
--dph.

(preferred email: dhayes AT iname DOT com)

Kent

Oct 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/11/99
Macy <macy...@aol.com> wrote:
: Your use of the terms sprog and spawn are truly repugnant. I guess
: there are sick people all over the world =(

Go Home, SnowLynn--by now, we are well aware that all the AOL screen names
from trolls are yours.

*PLONK*, yet again...

Kent

Snow Lynn

Oct 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/11/99
>Go Home, SnowLynn--by now, we are well aware that all the AOL screen names
>from trolls are yours.
>
>*PLONK*, yet again...
>
>Kent

Uuuh, folks, not all posters with an AOL account can be attributed to me. I
admit to having used the screen names of LimbaughFan, CujoFang and
Bookhound4Ever, but that's it.

Scott Eiler

Oct 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/12/99

Kent <kmp...@nina.pagesz.net> wrote:
>Go Home, SnowLynn--by now, we are well aware that all the AOL screen names
>from trolls are yours.
>
>*PLONK*, yet again...

Plonk indeed... but AOL *does* limit its users to five screen names.
No single user can be *every* AOL troll we get.

--- Scott Eiler B{D> --- http://www.ultranet.com/~seiler ---
Submitted via pocket calculator. God, I love 1999!

Kent

Oct 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/12/99
Scott Eiler <sei...@ma.ultranet.com> wrote:
:>Go Home, SnowLynn--by now, we are well aware that all the AOL screen names
:>from trolls are yours.
:>
:>*PLONK*, yet again...

: Plonk indeed... but AOL *does* limit its users to five screen names.
: No single user can be *every* AOL troll we get.

But can't they delete names and then create others, with only 5 at one
TIME? I've come to recognize the particular trolling style from this AOL
crew which seems awfully consistent...

Kent

Jade

Oct 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/12/99
>From: "Scott Eiler" sei...@ma.ultranet.com
>Date: Tue, 12 October 1999 11:56 AM EDT

>Kent <kmp...@nina.pagesz.net> wrote:
>>Go Home, SnowLynn--by now, we are well aware that all the AOL screen names
>>from trolls are yours.
>>
>>*PLONK*, yet again...
>
>Plonk indeed... but AOL *does* limit its users to five screen names.
>No single user can be *every* AOL troll we get.

On AOL, you can delete one or all of your screennames to make new ones, and now
AOL 5 allows 7 screennames at once. So, if someone were lame enough to really
wanna troll under 200 different names, it could be done on AOL.

Jade
who deleted a few of the very first screennames she ever had when she looked
back and realized how *newbie* they were.

Rat & Swan

Oct 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/12/99
Jade wrote:

> Jade
> who deleted a few of the very first screennames she ever had when she looked
> back and realized how *newbie* they were.

Hehhehheh! Brotha don't *I* REMEMBER! A phew of my early newbie screen
names would be fairly funny. I'm including the wierder ones.

Madame Olga Ivanofelitch. (MmOlga) when I helped run Madame Olda's
Tearoom, a BBS
Funny? Say Ivanofelitch out loud. Got that off Rocky and Bullwinkel.

Blind Ally

Chaindog

DaCat

and a few I used on chatrooms

@ssh*le (Yeah, spelled that way)

Freax

DrDeth

DaBoid

2daMax

I've had Swan as a screen name for the past six years and plan to stick
with it. I've outgrown my 'newbie' days.

anyone else wanna share their embarrassing newbie names with us?

Swan

Jade

Oct 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/12/99
>From: Rat & Swan lab...@pacbell.net
>Date: Tue, 12 October 1999 01:16 PM EDT

I'll bite.
FastRCarNU
TA2DIE4 (dropped this when the IM cyberme crowd auto assumed I meant tits and
ass to die for, instead of trans am)
Nomanzland (complete with a really rude profile in hopes the damn cyber crowd
would leave me alone)

Names that weren't really embarrassing, but I used them when I felt like being
an asshole.
BlackPlague (for AOL boards, which I quickly racked up 5 TOS violations under
and had to beg for my account back twice. Oopsie)
HellSpawn and HellsMinion (both IRC names for fooling around in Xtian and
Y2kisComing chat rooms, heh)

Names I still use?
Well, I'm posting here under Onebigmare by accident. I thought I was on
NRAJade. Onebigmare is for the horse message boards and for emailing my farrier
and vet. NRAJade is, well, me, although it often gets a knee jerk reaction from
some. Since I started under this name, I decided to stick with it, even though
it sounds like I'm a big fat breedermare. I have another that I only use to
email my parents with. They got Instant Messenger, so I gave them one I'm never
online with.

Jade

Larisa Migachyov

Oct 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/12/99
Rat & Swan wrote:
> Jade wrote:
>
> > Jade
> > who deleted a few of the very first screennames she ever had when she looked
> > back and realized how *newbie* they were.
>
> anyone else wanna share their embarrassing newbie names with us?

PurpleCow (on one BBS)
Tiger (on most other BBS's that I used in high school)
Hypatia (on IRC)

Nothing all that embarrassing; I suppose I was boringly conventional even
as a newbie. :) The advantage of using "Tiger" as a handle was that the
other users could not tell I was female.

I'd use a nom de screen here, too, but I've been posting under my real
name so long that it would be silly to change it now.

--
Larisa Migachyov
Quaternion Press Publishing House

Message has been deleted

Patrick L. Humphrey

Oct 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/12/99
l...@leland.Stanford.EDU (Larisa Migachyov) writes:

>Rat & Swan wrote:
>> Jade wrote:

>> > Jade
>> > who deleted a few of the very first screennames she ever had when she looked
>> > back and realized how *newbie* they were.

>> anyone else wanna share their embarrassing newbie names with us?

>PurpleCow (on one BBS)
>Tiger (on most other BBS's that I used in high school)
>Hypatia (on IRC)

Sounds like me -- when I first went online in 1983 on a few local BBSes, I
started out using my real name and within a month, on a select few, had
changed to Kentucky Colonel, which handle persisted until sometime in the last
four years or so. As far as the Internet goes, I've only posted under my real
name, along with an occasional switch to aer...@my-deja.com. (On the Houston
Aeros' Fan Forum site, I'm known as The Chief Instigator, and Dale and I have
become recognized to a segment of the Houston sports community by that moniker
(Dale, of course, is Mrs. Chief Instigator.)

--PLH, who spent five days in Ohio last weekend following our guys on the ice
earning my nickname

Noelle Gresham

Oct 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/12/99

Rat & Swan wrote in message <38036C...@pacbell.net>...

>anyone else wanna share their embarrassing newbie names with us?

Most of these date back to the days that I couldn't get enough of IRC,
although a few predate even that, going back as far as long-ago BBSes. Hmm,
these aren't all that embarrassing...

Dreamweaver

Tamerlane

Threnody (sheesh, people had problems with that one--because there was
currently a Marvel comic character by that name, everyone assumed I was
calling myself after her, but they didn't know what the word actually
meant--a song of lamentation)

Taliesin (Welsh for "shining brow", but a bit confusing because Taliesin was
a man)

One name which I can't remember at all, but which I got from an erotic short
story (by Oscar Wilde, I think)

Greenlady (green being my favorite color)

Malachite (again with the green theme)

Garnet (my birthstone)

Bastet or LadyBast

Neen--this one is odd, and it's a nickname DH gave me a long, long time ago.
It's sort of a hybrid of my first and middle names. It was one I could
almost always be sure no one else would use, and my friends would recognize.

Then I got into the endless permutations of Nuala. I got the idea for the
name from the "Sandman" graphic novels by Neil Gaiman. Nuala was a fairy who
fell in love with the Dream King, but he hardly knew she existed. That was
cool, as was the Irish origin of the name, as well as the fact that it
closely resembled my real middle name. Unfortunately, although I had no
trouble using Nuala without embellishments when I first thought of it, I
soon would find that others thought the name was cool as well and I started
having to log on using names like {Nuala} or something like that. I even had
a pointless argument with this real snatch of a woman who insisted that she
thought of it first, although she couldn't tell me where the name came from.
I didn't go around picking fights--she messaged ME and demanded that I stop
using the name. (On IRC, you can't use a name that's already currently in
use)

Tess

Oct 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/12/99
Scott Eiler wrote:

>Plonk indeed... but AOL *does* limit its users to five screen names.
>No single user can be *every* AOL troll we get.

Unfortunately, AOHell has upgraded to Version 5.0, which gives each user SEVEN
screen names. And they have increased the number of characters you can use.

Tess

Jennanik

Oct 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/13/99
>From: "Scott Eiler"

>Plonk indeed... but AOL *does* limit its users to five screen names.
>No single user can be *every* AOL troll we get.

<Sniffle!>
I'm not a troll! I promise! Please don't hate me for being on AOL, it came
with the used computer! I promise, I hate kids! Can I come play?
¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤
Jennifer, Seattle
http://members.aol.com/jennanik/index.html

John & Mari Morgan

Oct 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/13/99

I've always posted to Usenet with my real name, and have only used two
nicknames in all my years online - Thymeless (no, not a reference to
the herb, but "Timeless" was registered to someone else back in 1993
when I got suckered into the IRC habit) on IRC, and Ysabet on Bitnet
Relay (1989-1992). Thymeless because I often feel a bit adrift in
time, and Ysabet is a variant of my middle name, Elizabeth. I briefly
used a few other temporary nicknames on some Mu*s before I hauled
myself out of _that_ addiction :-) but they've almost always been
variants of my own RL names. Boring me.

Jason G

Oct 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/13/99
When I was a callow youth, I had typical boy-BBSer names: Talon and
Sparrowhawk (after the UKL Wizard of Earthsea books) are the two I can
remember. And no, my password wasn't "Ged".

At least I didn't have completely "Who-me? Inferiority complex?"
overcompensation names like some guys did. I saw dozens of nicks like
"Absolute Overlord", "Dominator", "Supreme Ruler", "Cold Snake", "Dark
Assassin", "Lord Darkmage" and the like. Gee, canya tell that BBSes were 99%
teenage boys back then?

======================================
Jason G.

"Someday, we'll all look back on this,
laugh nervously, and change the subject."

Snow Lynn

Oct 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/13/99
I still kinda like my LimbaughFan screen name.

Snow Lynn

Oct 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/13/99
>I'm not a troll! I promise! Please don't hate me for being on AOL, it came
>with the used computer! I promise, I hate kids! Can I come pla

What an ass kisser!!!

Snow Lynn

Oct 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/13/99

>Kent <kmp...@nina.pagesz.net> wrote:
>>Go Home, SnowLynn--by now, we are well aware that all the AOL screen names
>>from trolls are yours.
>>
>>*PLONK*, yet again...

Paranoia and schizophrenia are alive in this bunch.

Jennanik

Oct 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/13/99
>>I'm not a troll! I promise! Please don't hate me for being on AOL, it came
>>with the used computer! I promise, I hate kids!

>snow...@aol.com:
>What an ass kisser!!!

Piss off.

Oh, and thanks. So kind of you.

John & Mari Morgan

Oct 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/13/99
On Wed, 13 Oct 1999 01:58:59 GMT,
jrgusenet@DO_x_yahoo_NOT_x_SPAM_x_ME.com (Jason G) wrote:

>At least I didn't have completely "Who-me? Inferiority complex?"
>overcompensation names like some guys did. I saw dozens of nicks like
>"Absolute Overlord", "Dominator", "Supreme Ruler", "Cold Snake", "Dark
>Assassin", "Lord Darkmage" and the like. Gee, canya tell that BBSes were 99%
>teenage boys back then?

*laugh* On the BDSM-related-but-socially-oriented IRC channel I hang
out on, we get a lot of people like this. Lord Somebodyorother, Master
Blahdeblahblah, Sir Posealot, et cetera ad infinitum ad nauseam. We
call them PNPs, or Pretentious Nick People. They generally don't last
long, or they get a cluebath and a better nickname and stick around.
I've corrupted a few of my channelmates into hanging around here,
which is occasionally grand fun on channel as we have some madly
reproducing regulars (some of whom are being incredibly cool about it,
and some of whom are already zombifying)!

There aren't as many Queen Whoevers and Mistress Wossnames, though we
do get our share. Especially in (how did you guess) September, when
the fresh-faced teenaged girls who've watched "Exit to Eden" one too
many times get to college and can finally "explore their kinky
side"... (Which in all too many cases just means posing in pricey
leather clothing and fuck-me heels until they hitch a guy and can turn
into Ultramommie. *wail*)

Jennifer

Oct 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/13/99
>>anyone else wanna share their embarrassing newbie names with us?

::sigh:: LoL

User####### lol
JenNPonies
CaliRat

Names I've had that weren't really new but were stupid or I only used for a day
or two or just forgot about:

JizzRat hehe
Commiefailure (which is still around...inside joke, so it's rarely used)
KErotica09 (somebody said "erotica" and i said "nobody says 'erotica' enough"
and KErotica09 was born)

I'm too lazy to keep track of what I'm doing on several different screennames.
I inevitably want to check the boards or ngs and if I'm on the wrong sn, it's
just a pain in the ass to switch around.

***Jennifer
"If there is anything the nonconformist hates worse than a conformist, it's
another nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standard of
nonconformity." - Bill Vaughan

Jason G

Oct 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/13/99
In article <3807ef8c...@news.newsguy.com>, john...@gis.net wrote:

> Sir Posealot,

This. Is funny. Consider it stolen.

Larisa Migachyov

Oct 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/13/99
Jeri Jo Thomas wrote:
> Larisa Migachyov said ...
>
> -> Hypatia (on IRC)
> ->
> -> Nothing all that embarrassing; I suppose I was boringly conventional even
> -> as a newbie. :) The advantage of using "Tiger" as a handle was that the
> -> other users could not tell I was female.
> ->
> You do realize that there's a porno actress named Hypatia Lee,
> right?

You do realize that the first female mathematician was Hypatia of
Alexandria, right? But yes - so I've been told. I refuse to change my
handle, though - this way, I can tell those who know the history of
mathematics from those who don't. :)

dph...@my-deja.com

Oct 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/13/99
In article <19991012233317...@ng-fd1.aol.com>,

Read a few more of SnowLoon's posts and you will realize how
pathetic she is. She's the annoying younger sibling that
just won't go home.

Welcome to ASCF.

Chromatic Butterfly Wings

Oct 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/13/99
Rat & Swan (lab...@pacbell.net) wrote:

: anyone else wanna share their embarrassing newbie names with us?

I started BBSing in the late 70's, but luckily I don't recall any nick
that my prepubescent mind created. :)

I've been using "Leigh" on BBSes & the net for quite some time, since it's
the name-I-wanted-to-be-addressed-by and it wasn't the name-my-family-used
and I'd realized my brother often just called me by whatever nick I was
using at the time. :) It's sort of worked. :)

Prior to that I was Harbinger, Tas, Strych, and some others I still use
when I'm "hiding" so prefer not to divulge. *grin*

Being Tas was a really interesting experience for me. I was a girl, on
BBSes, and I was a prolific poster. I got serious notoriety. So much so
that there were many msg boards devoted to discussion about Tas. Tas
became an entity completely beyond my control. It was really very freaky,
and I finally killed Tas off, or rather, refused to use the nick, and went
into something of a hibernation. When last I checked out some of those
BBSes a year or so ago, there were *still* "Tas" areas, and people I'd
never heard of knew who Tas was. Considering I haven't used the handle in
over a decade, it's quite frightening.

Leigh
--
The Wonder Caterpillar | You don't tell deliberate lies, but sometimes
le...@magenta.com | you have to be evasive. - Margaret Thatcher

John & Mari Morgan

Oct 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/13/99
On Wed, 13 Oct 1999 04:19:22 GMT,
jrgusenet@DO_x_yahoo_NOT_x_SPAM_x_ME.com (Jason G) wrote:

>In article <3807ef8c...@news.newsguy.com>, john...@gis.net wrote:
>
>> Sir Posealot,
>
>This. Is funny. Consider it stolen.

Soitenly!

(Wow. Jason is stealing my phrase. I feel goooood.)

Janet D. Miles

Oct 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/13/99
On Wed, 13 Oct 1999 01:08:27 GMT, in alt.support.childfree John & Mari
Morgan wrote:

> I've always posted to Usenet with my real name, and have only used two
> nicknames in all my years online - Thymeless (no, not a reference to
> the herb, but "Timeless" was registered to someone else back in 1993
> when I got suckered into the IRC habit) on IRC, and Ysabet on Bitnet
> Relay (1989-1992). Thymeless because I often feel a bit adrift in
> time, and Ysabet is a variant of my middle name, Elizabeth. I briefly
> used a few other temporary nicknames on some Mu*s before I hauled
> myself out of _that_ addiction :-) but they've almost always been
> variants of my own RL names. Boring me.

Ugol.

I don't remember what I used as a login on Joe Bethancourt's BBS back
in Phoenix, some 10 years ago, but it was probably JanetM or JMiles.

On GEnie, my husband and I shared one account, so he was
D.Beaver2[Dale] and I was D.Beaver2[Janet_M].

On AOL, I was JanetMiles.

Currently, and for the last four years, I'm jmiles on Usenet (but I
sign my posts JanetM) and I'm JanetM or JanetM- on IRC (except once I
changed my nick for about 15 minutes as part of an ongoing silliness,
but I don't remember now what it was).

JanetM
Not very creative
--
Posted by Janet Miles <jmi...@usit.net> <http://www.public.usit.net/jmiles>
Loyal Webcrafter: PenUltimate Productions <http://www.worthlink.net/~ysabet>

E*Borg

Oct 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/13/99
Macy <macy...@aol.com> wrote:
> Your use of the terms sprog and spawn are truly repugnant. I guess
> there are sick people all over the world =(

And I guess you missed the post where someone referred to giving birth
as "pinching off a flesh loaf."

Go away.

--E*Borg

Film at eleven

Oct 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/13/99
I used "Film at Eleven" in the mid-eighties, when I first started using my
university's little local BBS -- didn't have much time to post things, then,
since I was trying to make the mainframe word processing programme print
Greek!

Film at Eleven

E*Borg

Oct 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/13/99
In article <38036C...@pacbell.net>,

lab...@pacbell.net wrote:
> Jade wrote:
>
> > Jade
> > who deleted a few of the very first screennames she ever had when
she looked
> > back and realized how *newbie* they were.
>
> Hehhehheh! Brotha don't *I* REMEMBER! A phew of my early newbie screen
> names would be fairly funny. I'm including the wierder ones.

Man. My first screen name was Sour16. Little did I realize the number
of guys who were going to hit on me for that one.

John & Mari Morgan

Oct 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/13/99
On 13 Oct 1999 06:49:32 GMT, l...@leland.Stanford.EDU (Larisa
Migachyov) wrote:

>Jeri Jo Thomas wrote:
>> Larisa Migachyov said ...
>>
>> -> Hypatia (on IRC)
>> ->

>> You do realize that there's a porno actress named Hypatia Lee,
>> right?
>
>You do realize that the first female mathematician was Hypatia of
>Alexandria, right? But yes - so I've been told. I refuse to change my
>handle, though - this way, I can tell those who know the history of
>mathematics from those who don't. :)

Wasn't she also a librarian at Alexandria? I know the name, but I seem
to be placing her in a literary context rather than a mathematical
one. Or has my memory gone to Tahiti without me again?

Larisa Migachyov

Oct 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/13/99
@news.newsguy.com>:
John & Mari Morgan wrote:

> On 13 Oct 1999 06:49:32 GMT, l...@leland.Stanford.EDU (Larisa
> Migachyov) wrote:
>
> >Jeri Jo Thomas wrote:
> >> Larisa Migachyov said ...
> >>
> >> -> Hypatia (on IRC)
> >> ->
> >> You do realize that there's a porno actress named Hypatia Lee,
> >> right?
> >
> >You do realize that the first female mathematician was Hypatia of
> >Alexandria, right? But yes - so I've been told. I refuse to change my
> >handle, though - this way, I can tell those who know the history of
> >mathematics from those who don't. :)
>
> Wasn't she also a librarian at Alexandria? I know the name, but I seem
> to be placing her in a literary context rather than a mathematical
> one. Or has my memory gone to Tahiti without me again?

She did work in the library of Alexandria, but all the scientists worked
there at the time. Her main contribution is a commentary on Euclid, I
think. She taught mathematics and philosophy at the Academy (or whatever
the main educational institution of Alexandria was called - I forget), and
was murdered by Christians who did not like the "pagan" philosophy she was
teaching. (the first martyr to mathematics, AFAIK).

Noelle Gresham

Oct 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/13/99

Larisa Migachyov wrote in message <7u1a1s$6jd$1...@nntp.Stanford.EDU>...

>You do realize that the first female mathematician was Hypatia of
>Alexandria, right? But yes - so I've been told. I refuse to change my
>handle, though - this way, I can tell those who know the history of
>mathematics from those who don't. :)

This reminds me of how someone I met online once asked me if I was familiar
with Nike. I responded, "The shoe or the goddess?" To which she said, "Oh,
you're *good*." (She meant the goddess)

Noelle Gresham

Oct 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/13/99

Larisa Migachyov wrote in message <7u2j26$6ne$2...@nntp.Stanford.EDU>...

>the main educational institution of Alexandria was called - I forget), and
>was murdered by Christians who did not like the "pagan" philosophy she was
>teaching. (the first martyr to mathematics, AFAIK).

From my research...ironically, at the time she was martyred, she was
considering converting to Christianity.

Larisa Migachyov

Oct 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/13/99
Really? I didn't know that. Where did you find it?

Noelle Gresham

Oct 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/13/99

Larisa Migachyov wrote in message <7u2uvj$a1t$2...@nntp.Stanford.EDU>...

>> From my research...ironically, at the time she was martyred, she was
>> considering converting to Christianity.
>>
>Really? I didn't know that. Where did you find it?

_Women Around the World and Through the Ages_. Sabrina Mervin, Carol
Prunhuber. Atomium Books, 1990. I found this book among the remainders and
coffee-table books at Barnes & Noble. Excellent book that I picked up on a
whim about a year ago and then found it to be a valuable resource when
writing my research paper.

A short excerpt:

"One morning when she was on her way to visit Orestes, Hypatia was attacked
by a crowd of Christians. They dragged her through the streets, beat her to
death, tore her body into pieces, then burned the remains. This crime,
denounced to Byzantium, went unpunished and signaled Alexandria's decline as
an intellectual center. The irony is that, according to Synesius, Hypatia
had intended to convert to Christianity, a religion that, like her
philosophy, extoled high moral standards and purity of the soul."

das

Oct 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/13/99
In article <7u2hoj$2g29a$1...@butler.ac.brocku.ca>, "Film at eleven" <merr...@spartan.ac.brocku.ca> wrote:
>I used "Film at Eleven" in the mid-eighties, when I first started using my
>university's little local BBS -- didn't have much time to post things, then,
>since I was trying to make the mainframe word processing programme print
>Greek!

Really? Did you ever post to Usenet under that name? I came on board
in 1989, and seems like I remember someone of that moniker.

I started out using my real name, but after the Internet went commerical
that fateful September of 1993, things got a bit less friendly. After I
received threatening email from a local person because of something
innocuous I had posted, I decided to change. Over in
alt.sysadmin.recovery, there was a thread about official scary system
administrator names, and I became Debbie the Gruesome, and decided I'd
start using it regularly. I still use my real name on email, though.

---
Debbie the Gruesome d...@halcyon.com
"Sometimes you just need to look reality in the eye,
and deny it." - Garrison Keillor

Jim

Oct 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/13/99

Rat & Swan wrote:

> Jade wrote:
>
> > Jade
> > who deleted a few of the very first screennames she ever had when she looked
> > back and realized how *newbie* they were.
>

> anyone else wanna share their embarrassing newbie names with us?
>

> Swan

Nothing terribly embarrassing here. I have a few accounts with a
variation on flamingo, and my bbs name used to be monster. My first
alias, on the old Prime system at college was MCS21, for Mass Comm
Student 21.

Jim

Ron Sullivan

Oct 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/13/99
"Noelle Gresham" <gno...@flash.net> wrote (in 2 posts):

> From my research...ironically, at the time she was martyred, she was
> considering converting to Christianity.

Well, that'll teach HER.

>... The irony is that, according to Synesius, Hypatia

<had intended to convert to Christianity, a religion that, like her
>philosophy, extoled high moral standards and purity of the soul."

Hm. "By their fruits you shall know them," as one famous Christian is
supposed to have said. Wait; I guess he was a Jew. Ne-ver mind.

Ron, veteran of guess-which-religion

LeiHei

Oct 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/14/99
>> anyone else wanna share their embarrassing newbie names with us?

I signed on originally on AOL and GTE.net as Monkee9847.

Yes, those Monkees.

Yes, I've heard the theme song, thank you for singing it to me yet again.

Leisa
vowing not to do that again!

Film at eleven

Oct 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/14/99
Yes, I did occasionally post to usenet -- sporadically, and sometimes using
other people's accounts, depending on the type of access available at my
university-of-the-moment. Usually on groups discussing fantasy or mystery
novels.

Film at Eleven

CatWoman

Oct 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/14/99
Rat & Swan wrote:

] anyone else wanna share their embarrassing newbie names with us?
]
] Swan

Well - since I've never gotten to the places where
screen names are used, I don't have those, but for
a while at the behest of the folks in the newsgroup
I was reading 'way back', I was 'CatWomyn'.

I gave that one up quickly..

But have kept the 'CatWoman' part, 'cause it still
fits...

Diana

Maurice Ponk

Oct 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/18/99
OK:

My real name: One-time Usenet name, and my email name

Brian the Octopus and Crazy Max the Turtle: Another Usenet name. for the
etymology see http://come.to/cruickro/S/cotsef.htm

Maurice Ponk: A fellow found dead in "The Secret Escritoire", a Goon Show,
face downwards on his back. Current Usenet name.

Asperger: The syndrome I have. IRC name on #callahans.
--
Rob Cruickshank:
Official SubGenius Avatar and Living Incarnation of Brian the Octopus and

Rat & Swan <lab...@pacbell.net> wrote in article
<38036C...@pacbell.net>...

MountainPony Lightning

Oct 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/19/99

> Your use of the terms sprog and spawn are truly repugnant. I guess
> there are sick people all over the world =(

Then DON'T read here, dummy!!

*plonk*

Lightning