Don't want to crush creativity.

Critter

May 9, 2002, 5:37:50 PM5/9/02
http://slate.msn.com/?id=2065480

On some days she hollers insults at me the whole way to school-"You stink"
and "You're dead" are two favorites-and if she can find something to hurl at
my head, she'll do that, too. Driving her around these days is like playing
right field for the visiting team in Yankee stadium.

The fact, as opposed to the theory, of life with a small child is an amoral
system of bribes and blackmails. You do this for me, you get that. You don't
do this for me, you don't get that. I've always assumed that if a small
child has enough joy and love and stability in her life, along with
intelligently directed bribes and blackmail, the rest will take care of
itself. And my approach appeared to be working. Right up until the birth of
her sister Tallulah excelled at childhood and did so, it seemed,
effortlessly. **It honestly never occurred to me that I should be in some
way shaping her.** I was one of those easy-going CEOs who believe that
excessive discipline crushes the creativity of his employees. I believed in
managing by hanging around.

Nina Paley

May 9, 2002, 6:46:49 PM5/9/02
Critter wrote:

> http://slate.msn.com/?id=2065480

Oh, the continuing saga of Tallulah and Dixie. Coming soon to a fancy
restaurant near you!

-Nina, discovering a new drawback to living in San Francisco

Hooty Sapperticker

May 10, 2002, 1:02:20 AM5/10/02
Hasn't this poor bastard put a gun in his mouth yet? He might as well,
he's dug his own grave already.

The other day, my tiny niece caught it from me for saying, "I want an
orange." She said, "May I please have an orange?" And that was the end
of that. What a pussyman this Michael Lewis guy is.

-Hooty

Shapieron2

May 10, 2002, 8:47:38 AM5/10/02

>On some days she hollers insults at me the whole way to school-"You stink"
>and "You're dead" are two favorites-and if she can find something to hurl at
>my head, she'll do that, too. Driving her around these days is like playing
>right field for the visiting team in Yankee stadium.

sucks to be you dud..

John

Implement General Directive Eighteen

Cori

May 10, 2002, 10:15:51 AM5/10/02

Shapieron2 wrote:

> >On some days she hollers insults at me the whole way to school-"You stink"
> >and "You're dead" are two favorites-and if she can find something to hurl at
> >my head, she'll do that, too. Driving her around these days is like playing
> >right field for the visiting team in Yankee stadium.

How precocious! Most youngsters satrt this in their teens.

Cori

mytoysdammit

May 10, 2002, 3:26:05 PM5/10/02

"Hooty Sapperticker" <howdy...@thedoghousemail.com> wrote in message

> > On some days she hollers insults at me the whole way to school-"You
stink"
> > and "You're dead" are two favorites-and if she can find something to
hurl at
> > my head, she'll do that, too. Driving her around these days is like
playing
> > right field for the visiting team in Yankee stadium.

I predate seatbelts in backseats and childseats, but the state of my
creativity would have been the least of my worries if I'd ever done anything
to distract whichever adult was driving.

'Course, nowadays they'd likely have gotten a ticket because I was kneeling
on the seat because my behind was too damned freshly spanked to sit on!

Kat