What is the rainbow bridge?

Sol Taibi

Jun 15, 2003, 12:30:10 AM6/15/03
OK, I can tell from context that this means death.

What mythology is this from?

I've seen this here a whole lot.

Please elaborate.

Joscelin

Jun 15, 2003, 12:44:11 AM6/15/03

"Sol Taibi" <solomo...@computer.org> wrote in message

Lifted from: http://www.petloss.com/poems/maingrp/rainbowb.htm

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet
goes to Rainbow Bridge.
There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run
and play together.
There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and
comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor;
those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we
remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.
The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each
miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops
and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body
quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green
grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet,
you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy
kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and
you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from
your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...

Bruce B. Reynolds

Jun 15, 2003, 8:42:59 AM6/15/03

See also the ending of Wagner's Das Reingold, where the gods cross a rainbow
bridge to get to Vahalla.
--
Bruce B. Reynolds, Trailing Edge Technologies, Glenside PA

Shashay Doofray

Jun 15, 2003, 4:05:45 PM6/15/03

Sol Taibi <solomo...@computer.org> wrote in message

I don' t know why but I have always been under the impression that it is of
Scandinavian origin.

I could be wrong.

SD

MRFeathers

Jun 15, 2003, 5:48:36 PM6/15/03
>> OK, I can tell from context that this means death.
>>
>> What mythology is this from?
>>
>> I've seen this here a whole lot.
>>
>> Please elaborate.

Aside from the Rainbow Bridge page on the web, aren't there Hawaiian myths that
refer to death as "placing one's feet on the rainbow"?

Mary

nimue

Jun 16, 2003, 5:37:42 AM6/16/03
Rant mode on:
----------------

So, possible SO decides to bring up the "where are we going with the
relationship" thing this morning. If your a guy, you have a good idea of
where this is going...

Me: "What, exactly, do you mean by that?"

Now, understand, possible SO is single, no kids, likes her life the way it
is. 'Least, that's what I've been told over the last 4 months or so.
Obviously, I've been lied to once again.

She proceeds to tell me that after some thinking and soul searching on her
part, she's no longer sure about whether or not she knows what she wants
when it comes to marriage. And kids. KIDS!!!!! Fucking KIDS!!!!! Now, she
knows this puppy is fixed, hell, it was in the personals ad! Proceeds to
tell me that she just feels that "real" men want to be fathers. REAL men!
Jesus, why not just twist that knife in my back while your at it....

Grrrrrr.... why, oh why, do I always hav'ta pick the ones that can't make
up their minds???!!!! Can you say "ex-possible SO"?

So, then I get phone call from boss, happily informs me we have some more
people coming on, and I've been "volunteered" to run a class at night to
train them. WHAT? 103 HOURS LAST WEEK WASN'T FUCKING ENOUGH??????

Grrrrr....

So, now I find out there's going to be a new BattleStar Galactica
(Yippee!!!) being made by Sci-Fi. I loved Galactica when I was a kid. Jumped
right on the web to check it out. WHAT THE FUCK???? Starbuck's a woman?
Adama divorced from his wife? The colonies are on ONE world? The Cylons were
created by humans?

I think I've been abducted by the Borg.

I hope it's them, anyway....

-------------
Rant mode off..... it is now safe to unbuckle your saftey belt....

J.D. Spangler

Jun 17, 2003, 12:23:27 AM6/17/03
On 17 Jun 2003 04:23:27 GMT, ayrs...@hotmail.com (J.D. Spangler) [jona...@hotmail.com] wrote:

She finally popped out a girl last Tuesday. The whole family but me
was there all week except for me, but *not* for lack of trying on my
dad's part to shanghai me into taking a few days off work to go 5
hours north to visit.

Riggggght.

Yesterday, I made the mistake of going to visit my parents now that
they're back, and wound up having to spend an hour listening to my
mother, my aunt and my grandmother swap pregnancy stories... and the
pictures...

Oh. Bloody. Hell. My sister, once a beautiful girl, now looks looks
like she's been pressed flat and stretched wide, like a silly-putty
imprint you'd make and distort for fun.

Hope her husband is happy... he wanted a kyd, got it, and all it cost
him was his wife's looks and health.

There was one CF moment while I was trying to resist the
placenta-brain indoctrination.

"Well, B's had one, J might give you some more, but there won't be any
grandkids from me. There's no *way* I'm inflicting that on any future
wife." I said to my grandmother.

"But you don't know that." responded my aunt. (Is there a bingo for
that comment? Or does it fall under "You'll change your mind
someday"?)

"Oh, yes I do! If it does happen, there will be a urologist getting
his ass sued."

Aunt look confused for a moment, finally understood, and laughed
embarrassedly. Grandmother looked surprised, and mom just muttered
something about "Don't ask any questions, he'll tell you everything."

Regards,

Ed

Moondrop_90

Jun 16, 2003, 11:19:19 PM6/16/03
On 17 Jun 2003 03:19:19 GMT, moond...@yahoo.com (Moondrop_90) [fran...@yahoo.com] wrote:

Notice how many commercials sport sprogs as their lure? Well Sears
came out with a new one that really got me. They say, "What's YOUR
family like?" and then they proceed to show people next to appliances:
couples with sprogs, a duhd with sprogs, a couple womben with sprogs,
and finally, a man and a woman alone--but wait! She's preg-nunt! Like
no one can be a family if they don't have sproggen attached. No single
people, no couples or couples with pets, no roomies, no one but
famblees with sprogs. We used to shop at Sears a lot. Not any more,
and they are going to know why.

Terrance

bigbyrd

Jun 16, 2003, 11:02:36 PM6/16/03
On 17 Jun 2003 03:02:36 GMT, "bigbyrd" <big...@machlink.com> wrote:

> >Apologies if this has been posted before, but I stumbled across
> >this article and thought it was apropos of the subject of the
> >legal ramifications of li'l sizzlers....
> >_ _ _
> >From ABC News, August 23, 2001:
> >http://abcnews.go.com/sections/us/DailyNews/hot_cars010817.html

[...]

> "I'm
> >not sure our criminal statutes were made for mothers who left
> >their kids in these cars."
>
> But they are, of course, made for anyone else who might do the same thing to a
> sprat they didn't whelp.
>
> White courtesy cluephone: Criminal statutes are made for CRIMINALS. Is this
> goober suggesting that leaving The Most Important Thing in the World to die a
> hideous death isn't a criminal act?

Or maybe we ought to decriminalize every stupid, life-destroying
accident? No more drunk driver penalties, no more worker's comp, no
more malpractice (unless is really WAS intentional to leave that pair
of clamps inside your abdomen), no more "pain and suffering" jury
awards because after all, we've ALL suffered enough?

Elisa

Vandevere

Jun 17, 2003, 1:34:42 AM6/17/03

[...]

vonho...@juno.com (Vandevere)

Rabbit

Jun 17, 2003, 4:34:42 AM6/17/03
On 17 Jun 2003 08:34:42 GMT, "Rabbit" <rab...@hotstar.net> wrote:

> As long as you hold them until maturity, you can't really lose.
>
> Vanguard among others has a fund that invests in I bonds -- Inflation
> Protected Securities.

I believe the poster wanted to know about I-Bonds, which are savings
bonds and not tracked in any funds. The face value of I-Bonds does
not change with time: you cannot cash them in until a year after you
buy them, and there's a penalty of 3-months' interest if you cash them
in before their 5-year anniversary. If you cash them in between 5 and
30 years after you bought them, you just get your face value back plus
any accumulated interest.

The fund you discuss above invests in TIPS, which are
inflation-indexed Treasury bonds. This is different than savings
bonds. Both the US Treasury web site and the I-Bond tutorial at
www.diehards.org can explain this distinction.

"Rabbit" <rab...@hotstar.net>, a childfree diehard

Rainydaywoman43

Jun 17, 2003, 4:33:22 AM6/17/03
On 17 Jun 2003 08:33:22 GMT, rainyda...@aol.com (Rainydaywoman43) wrote:

> I like everything about this except the "somewhat androgynous" part. Since
> the point is supposed to be that you can't tell by looking, why not have a
> really masculine-looking guy? THOSE are the ones that people "didn't know
> was gay". Too many people still think all gay men are "androgynous" or
> "pretty boy" types (like you'd see in a fashion ad). Why not a picture of
> guy buying lumber in a Home Depot ad, or something, if shattering
> assumptions is the goal?
>
> Otherwise, it's a great idea.

The pretty boy was just because his picture fit what I was looking for in
terms of composition and size. I bought three 5x7" black picture mats to put
the pictures beneath for a neater look, and I really should have found the
pictures first and bought the mats after that. The three pictures I
described were simply the only pictures I found that were big enough to fit
the mats. I see the point you're making, but that's just the way it worked
out. Had I found a really masculine-looking guy whose picture fit the mat, I
would have used that.

But your point is well taken. Thanks!

> On Mon, 16 Jun 2003 14:06:46 GMT, Jason G
> <jrgusenet@REMOVE_ooo_THIS_xxx_PART_yahoo.com> wrote:
>> I'm trying to recall the last time someone was tied to a fence and beaten to
>> death for being a gigolo.
>
>> ..
>
>> I can't seem to recall one. Maybe it just slipped my mind.

> Well hell, if that's the only requirement can we have a white pride
> month please?

I'm trying to remember when someone got tied to a fence and beaten to death
for being white. ... Help me out here?

> Whoops, forgot, every other race than white can have a pride
> march/month/day/week/happy hour but if we do it it is racist.

> I'd wager the same goes for having a "straight pride" march.
> Equality isn't achieved through elevating some while degenerating others
> no matter which groups are doing the eleveting, degenerating and what
> their chosen methods are.

As a rich, white, heterosexual male, I wish other members of my skin tone,
economic condition, and sexual orientation would stop fucking whining
because other people want mainstream acceptance. We're not being oppressed
just because we don't have a Straight White Rich Male Pride day. Just get
over it and accept the privilege that you live in.

ObSheesh: sheesh.

Cyrus

Elizabeth

Jun 17, 2003, 10:42:42 AM6/17/03
On 17 Jun 2003 14:42:42 GMT, eliz...@aol.com (Elizabeth) wrote:

Higher-class 'chick lit'
Danielle Crittenden created Amanda, the heroine of her first novel, an
inside-the-Beltway saga called "Amanda Bright@Home."
http://www.washtimes.com/culture/20030616-093401-5771r.htm

eliz...@aol.com (Elizabeth)

MrBee

Jun 18, 2003, 12:21:33 AM6/18/03
On 18 Jun 2003 04:21:33 GMT, MrBee <mr...@rogers.com> wrote:

> In article <d3d33e5b.03061...@posting.google.com>, Sol
> Taibi wrote:
>>
>> Yet another forged header:

>> OrgName: Eastern Suffolk BOCES
>> OrgID: ESB
>> Address: 201 Sunrise Hwy.
>> City: Patchogue
>> StateProv: NY
>> PostalCode: 11772
>> Country: US
>>
>> Now stop it.
>
> IIRC, BOCES is a school for delinquents^w"difficult" children.
>
> Either he's relay raping (a Federal crime) or he's an inmate^wstudent.
> Of course, some of the teachers from there weren't the brightest
> of bulbs either.

Xnews filtered it all out for me because it's coming from the same place as
all the other stuff - oleane.fr/oleane.net/France Telecom.

If you and Sol are going by these headers to determine where the post came
from:

headers

..IGNORE THEM.

Ditto X-Orig-NNTP-Posting-Host, which has appeared in other forgeries.

Those headers can be added into the newsreader by the user. The
documentation for NewsAgent (yes, THAT NewsAgent, beloved of H*pCr*me and
H*pCl0nes) specifically mentions the ability to insert such headers.

Jun 18, 2003, 6:09:21 AM6/18/03
On 18 Jun 2003 10:09:21 GMT, Rock Guitar Seattle <m...@privacy.net> wrote:

"Rat and Swan" <lab...@pacbell.net> wrote in message

> It's not funny.

That's entirely dependant upon your perspective.

> I am alone.

In the final analysis, aren't we all?

> I do not drive.
> Anywhere I desire to go I must *walk* and we're in the country.

Walking provides an excellent cardio workout. Will add years to your
life.

> So I rely on usenet to keep me going while Rat is away. I *was* using
> this ng as a way to sort of distract myself from worrying about Rat.
> IF she cannot get the car functional she is IN the *desert* IN June and
> her life could very well be in danger. I have to hold it together so as
> not to be unable to keep this household going and a large part of that
> is reaching out to friends on this group.

What's the saying that's dear to the heart of all on asc? bed. made.
lie? What sort of idiot would head off into a desert in a vehicle that
hadn't been properly prepared and was carrying inadequate supplies to cater
for any foreseeable eventuality?

> Had this stupie attack come at any other time, I'd just shrug and go
> away for a week. You do *not* know the stress I am feeling right now
> and this on top of it all just makes my day.

Stress is good, Swannie. It's nature's way of letting you know you're
still alive.

> So enjoy yourselves, but know that *right now* a 57 year old woman is
> sitting in the desert waiting for a tow. She has some water with her,
> but not enough to last if she cannot be picked up in time. Her partner
> is stuck at home unable to do *anything* to help or support her and
> that's NOT a place I want to be right now!

See the bed. made. lie. para.

> All this crap rips the veneer off your little power games. You desire to
> be seen as a sympathetic "loyal opponent" but the truth is that you, and
> all trolls and Hipcriminals LIKE you and your friends, are simply
> vandals, cold hearted and uncaring.

That's the trouble with all power-crazed structures. When they're on top,
they're immune to reason. When they've been knocked down, reason is all
they crave. You suggesting that the trolls are on the way up at the
moment? Yunno, I'd have to agree :-)

> I know that in a life or death
> situation I could NEVER count on you and yours for one drop of sympathy.

Frankly, a life-or-death situation is the ONLY time you could count on me to
support you. I don't think we're at that stage yet.

> So drop the pretenses and either out and out ATTACK or go the Hell AWAY!
> I don't much care which at this point. My one lifeline to remaining calm
> and centered is gone for the duration of thsi stupid little game.

Then accept the hand of reason. Stand foursquare against the bigots, the
re-published violence, the blind hatred of children, the insane stereotyping
of major portions of our society. Say it's wrong. Name the people you no
longer feel should be here. Say why you believe this to be a step forward.
Promote dialogue and rational argument. Then maybe you'll have a lifeline
that's real and caring.

Rock Guitar Seattle <m...@privacy.net> on behalf of Zero

Monica

Jun 18, 2003, 5:12:46 AM6/18/03
On 18 Jun 2003 09:12:46 GMT, steel...@mailcity.com (Monica) wrote:

> So enjoy yourselves, but know that *right now* a 57 year old woman
> is sitting in the desert waiting for a tow. She has some water with
> her, but not enough to last if she cannot be picked up in time.

Relax. It's Northern Arizona. We've got running water, tow trucks, and
friendly police officers. And it's a balmy and beautiful day. The kind
of day that makes me wish I was there right now.

> I don't much care which at this point. My one lifeline to remaining calm
> and centered is gone for the duration of thsi stupid little game.

If it's that important, it's important enough to invest half an hour
to install nfilter and set up a simple killfile.

steel...@mailcity.com (Monica)

Pete

Jun 18, 2003, 6:36:20 AM6/18/03
On 18 Jun 2003 10:36:20 GMT, Pete <n...@gowiththeflow.tv.com> wrote:

>I'm trying to set up NewsProxy. I use Newsguy as my news provider. I need to
>pass a username/password to the news.newsguy.com server. I can't figure out
>where I can do this, all NewsProxy has is the Server and Port in the
>configuration screen.

>Anyone know?

Yep, the troll knows. It is quite simple, Newsproxy operates between the
news server and your newsreader, the log data is handled by your
newsreader as per normal. You have mis-configured your newsreader
probably. Did you change the setting within the newsreader to localhost
as per the newsproxy instructions?

Newsproxy is a bit buggy if you have the beta version, perhaps you could
try the earlier version.

Let me know if you can't get it going and I will give you detailed instructions.
I have no problem with helping you install Newsproxy, I love the fact that you
are installing a spyware pgm just because of little old me. I am too paranoid to
use Newsproxy myself. I would get a better newsreader if I were you, one that
has full filtering.

When I figure everyone has finally got their filters sorted out, I am going to
psoting through other news servers, like Caine & Petes, maybe Elizabeths.
This is fun.

Lotsa love, your friendly family oriented, neighborhood troll.

Fang

Jun 18, 2003, 6:00:44 AM6/18/03
On 18 Jun 2003 10:00:44 GMT, Fang <geek...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> > We (straight, white men) could have them. We just don't need or want them.
> > Would YOU go to a Straight White Pride march? Even if it wasn't a KKK
> > thing, I wouldn't.
>
> Neither would I. Thing is, though, that isn't how it is painted by
> many people, is it?

"Thing is", you've just spent the last few days whining that you can't
have one. And now you say you wouldn't even go to one anyway?

Hint to Steve: not all gays, or Blacks, or whatever, go to marches, or
belong to "gay employee unions", or any of these other "ffirmations"
you are so incensed about missing out on. A rather small percentage of
the given minority population do, in fact.

I think you need to spend less time worrying about what you're
"missing out on" by being a white straight (able-bodied, whatever
other Majority) male and learn to CHILL and Get A Life. It affects you
absolutely ZERO if some smaller group decides to have a meeting, since
I've never heard of such a group doing so to the detriment of Majority
groups.

Fang <geek...@hotmail.com>

Victoria

Jun 18, 2003, 4:49:11 AM6/18/03

Mick

Jun 18, 2003, 6:14:22 AM6/18/03
On 18 Jun 2003 10:14:22 GMT, "Mick" <mr...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> correct ones. At least you know you are looking everything over.
>
> As for where to go? Hey, come to New Mexico! land of Enchantment... and
> Rat & Swan!
>
> Heeheeheeheehee!
>
> Nydia

Nydia, you worthless cuntload of santorum(the frothy mixture of fecal
material and lube) mind using your own handle? I can't help you
wanting to be me . .. anyone with a personality so vapid and identity
so inane could not help to want to steal another's glory ... sucks to
be you, nydia, you make me wish your mother had taken it up the ass.
What was her excuse not to abort? To be sure, you mother must not
have wanted you, or else she would have taught you to try to be your
own person, instead, you are a troll.

Reposted by "Mick" <mr...@yahoo.com> on behalf of Dim Lizzie (efra...@hotmail.com) who as usual, hasn't a clue.

Rabbit

Jun 17, 2003, 11:03:32 AM6/17/03

"Rabbit" <rab...@hotstar.net>

Juliette

Jun 17, 2003, 12:18:58 PM6/17/03
On 17 Jun 2003 16:18:58 GMT, julie...@yahoo.com (Juliette) wrote:

> Then accept the hand of reason. Stand foursquare against the bigots, the
> re-published violence, the blind hatred of children, the insane stereotyping
> of major portions of our society. Say it's wrong. Name the people you no
> longer feel should be here. Say why you believe this to be a step forward.
> Promote dialogue and rational argument. Then maybe you'll have a lifeline
> that's real and caring.

Okay, hypocrite, then you quit using the names of people who have
never posted any of the above in your trolling.

Reposted by julie...@yahoo.com (Juliette) on behalf of Fang

kimothee

Jun 17, 2003, 1:12:39 PM6/17/03
On 17 Jun 2003 17:12:39 GMT, kimothee <k...@kimotheenospamever.com> wrote:

The He-Breeder co-worker traps me when I go near his desk with a "Hard to
believe the month is half over already." comment I politely agree with, not
really giving a flip. Then on comes the sprog talk! "My daughter's off from
school now and she's all happy about that." (Well duh she's off! The schools
are mostly closed now!) "She made the honor roll". I smiled and said in a
half laughing friendly tone "Whats new?" (while thinking to myself "Oh Jesus
Christ! Here we go with the proud he-breeder's constant bragging about his
genius sprog again!) He chuckled back and announced his little genius made all
A's. I smiled to keep my mouth from running and saying "Who gives a flying
phuck???" I SO wanted to scream out! I feel badly something is wrong with me
my wanting to knock the he-breeder off his High Horse instead of just being
happy for him, like why can't I feel like a NICE person? But I'm not! He does
his sprog bragging and a rage goes on in me and I want to scream I don't give a
phuck about his brat and hope she grows up to be a crack head. I can't relax
myself enough to THINK fast enough of a way to shut him up. I hear breeders
get offended when someone mentions their dog in comparison to the sprog. I
should try to keep calm inside and remember to do that comparison! Say some
lie like "My little genius puppy Foo Foo got on the dog school honor roll too!
And I gave my little genius a great big kiss and a doggie treat for it! (He
went on and on last report card time about getting his little sprog genius a
bike and a dinner out for her last honor roll thing). My little Foo Foo worked
long and hard to learn to poop outside and to sit and speak!" LOL! I need to
say that or words to that effect! Then next honor roll announcement give him
horror stories about how lousey schools are now days giving honor rolls to kids
so easily, then the kid flunks out in college! I've got to think of these
things when he gets He-Breeder Sprog talking instead of just wanting to curse
him out and run out of there. But its so hard!

Reposted by kimothee <k...@kimotheenospamever.com> on behalf of no one in particular

Fang

Jun 18, 2003, 3:11:25 AM6/18/03
On 18 Jun 2003 07:11:25 GMT, Fang <geek...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> I am actually quite a friendly person, not at all an ogre and will not
> disclose either the fact of any communication with me, nor the
> content. I just want to know whether there are any people here who
> aren't supporters of the Hateful Handful and would like to see the
> newsgroup continue. You can post through a Hotmail account if that
> makes it easier.
>
> Jiminy Cricket - email address: by_j...@hotmail.com

Goddamn..... good job troll

I haven't seen a usenet group meltdown like this in ages...... meow

Reposted by Fang <geek...@hotmail.com> on behalf of A Pussy Cat it would appear

Russell B. Goode

Jun 18, 2003, 5:41:44 AM6/18/03
On 18 Jun 2003 09:41:44 GMT, Russell B. Goode <bigf...@databasix.com> wrote: