6.2 billion psychiatric pills given children each year

1 view

diana

May 23, 2001, 9:56:54 PM5/23/01
Chris Leithiser wrote:

> Andyboy's quotation is from PR Newswire, a pay-to-publish service that
> takes press releases for anyone, and not from a "real" news service.
> Andy's upset because the UFO nut-cult wouldn't have him for a
> member...even _they_ have their standards, after all.

thanks for letting us know..... fwiw, unless he has gotten a lobotomy
(such luck) im pretty darn sure that these andy posts are actually
fakes.

the style is eeever so slightly different.

could someone closer to new jersey please call stephanie lamberts and
ask her what really happened......??? we have her number on the med
list.

--
---------------------------------------------------------->>

"it is so easy to return to our spirit world from where we came. life
is not easy. but life is not nearly so hard when we honor the self...."

~~~~~ blessed am i to dwell in this beautiful temple ~~~~~~~~>

----------------->>

Virginiaz

May 23, 2001, 10:38:16 PM5/23/01
Perhaps you might enjoy reading a neurology textbook, they're quite
fascinating.

Interesting addy you have there: psychedelic? Neurology has some interesting
stuff to say on the topic, pretty mind-bending, and kewl.

The Brain. What a marvelous invention.

Subject: Re: 6.2 billion psychiatric pills given children each year
From: Eric Cordian <e...@artifact.psychedelic.net>
Date: Thu, May 24, 2001 2:33 AM

In alt.activism.children Chris Leithiser <clei...@bc.cc.ca.us> wrote:

> CCHR is, of course, the public-relations arm of the evil cult of
> $cientology, which teaches--among other things--that human beings can
> remember past lives spent as clams, or extraterrestrials, and so on.

The Scientologist's views on the profession of psychiatry, and the
drugging of patients, are right on the mark.

Just because they are goofy about Xenu doesn't mean they aren't right
about other things.

--
Eric Michael Cordian 0+

\\ - - //
( @ @ )
+--------oOOo-(_)--oOOo----+
+-------------------Oooo---+
oooO ( )
( ) ) /
\ ( (_

Chris Leithiser

May 24, 2001, 12:30:51 PM5/24/01
Eric Cordian wrote:

> In alt.activism.children Chris Leithiser <clei...@bc.cc.ca.us> wrote:
>
> > CCHR is, of course, the public-relations arm of the evil cult of
> > $cientology, which teaches--among other things--that human beings can
> > remember past lives spent as clams, or extraterrestrials, and so on.
>
> The Scientologist's views on the profession of psychiatry, and the
> drugging of patients, are right on the mark.
>
> Just because they are goofy about Xenu doesn't mean they aren't right
> about other things.

Just because they act like stupid, clueless morons doesn't mean they're
not.

Stopped clocks are right twice a day. That's twice more than
$cientology.

Chris Leithiser

May 24, 2001, 1:24:10 PM5/24/01
bobwhelan wrote:

> I dont think it discredits an expose of abuse because the people believe in
> contact with extra-terrestials thats all..

Then why is it that practically every anti-psychiatry organization
except the CCHR/Co$ takes pains to dissociate themselves from that band
of UFO nuts?

I think it discredits them to a huge degree, and they are quite well
aware of it. Peter Breggin, for example, is _very_ careful to hide how
closely he's tied to the cult that killed Lisa McPherson--almost as
careful as he is to hide his views on childhood sex.

John Palmer

May 24, 2001, 6:58:47 PM5/24/01
On Thu, 24 May 2001 16:19:08 +0100, "bobwhelan"
<bobw...@ntlworld.com> wrote:

>Thomas Szasz is an internationally famed professor of Psychiatry with a long
>and respected career of highlighting abusive therapies in his own
>profession.
>I see it more as a clash of ideologies than an economic struggle..

Szasz believes there is no such thing as mental illness, period,
the end, near as I can tell from the web. It would seem that any
psychiatric treatment would be classified as "abuse" by such a person.
Regardless of whether or not this is the case, since my "difference in
thinking that was not accepted by society" caused me much suffering
(including sleepiness usually associated with narcolepsy), I find that
viewpoint to be foolish.

bobwhelan

May 24, 2001, 8:25:56 PM5/24/01

"John Palmer" <jpal...@ix.netcom.com> wrote in message

t would be foolish if that was his view but it is not..
He feels many people profitably treated for "mental illness " in fact have
"problems in living",
and the medicalization of these problems far from being appropriate,can lead
to stigmagtization and a drastic drop in self-esteeem.
His early work was a protest against the expansion of categories of
individuals whose behaviour could legitimately be called "sick".
This isnt a denial of the existence of major psychoses.

John Palmer

May 24, 2001, 8:41:14 PM5/24/01
On Fri, 25 May 2001 01:25:56 +0100, "bobwhelan"
<bobw...@ntlworld.com> wrote:

But it is a denial of months upon months of sleepiness, of a
level generally associated with narcolepsy, that isn't tied to a major
psychosis.

This is a relatively rare, but real, symptom of inattentive ADHD.

It is good to know that he will accept that people suffer when
it's completely obvious to the casual observer that they suffer, but
will deny real suffering in favor of a particular philosophy's dogma.

Patient of Dr. Nightmare

May 24, 2001, 9:04:47 PM5/24/01

"bobwhelan" <bobw...@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
You are absolutely right. As I remember his books (I read them quite a while
ago), he was also talking about the historical and social relativity of
mental health and mental illness. He believed that in many cases a diagnosis
of "mental illness' was nothing more than a moral judgment imposed on an
individual. He also believed that psychiatric treatment often amounted to
patient coercion into the belief system of the "healer"-psychiatrist. Of
course these ideas mostly applied to the field of psychoanalysis/therapy.

--
=========
My Web site "Doctor Nightmare" at

bobwhelan

May 24, 2001, 9:01:45 PM5/24/01

"John Palmer" <jpal...@ix.netcom.com> wrote in message

The irony here is astounding..
The guy has campaigned tirelessly all his professional life... to combat the
infliction of needless
suffering by the imposition of dogma both theological and that of the
dominant mental health ideologues.

bobwhelan

May 24, 2001, 9:15:56 PM5/24/01

"Patient of Dr. Nightmare" <doctorn...@mediaone.net> wrote in message
Yes..
As long as thirty years ago he was fighting the stigmatization of
homosexuals,for example,
by classifying them as mentally ill...
That Anatole Prokopenko sees parallels with the use of coersive psychiatry
in the
former Soviet Union for political purposes should ring alarm bells.
But not in some quarters it seems.
The whole thrust of Szasz"s argument has been to fight the imposition of
coersive "therapy" on socially powerless and helpless populations.

John Palmer

May 24, 2001, 9:58:02 PM5/24/01
On Fri, 25 May 2001 02:01:45 +0100, "bobwhelan"
<bobw...@ntlworld.com> wrote:

Yes, it is ironic when a crusader is blinded by ideology and
causes harm to the people he would claim to want to help. It's also
not very rare.

However, since I don't consider "special pleading" to be a valid
argument, I don't find that very interesting.

bobwhelan

May 24, 2001, 11:34:30 PM5/24/01

"John Palmer" <jpal...@ix.netcom.com> wrote in message

Im not sure I follow here John..
It seems to ...
the relating of your sleeplessness to the abuse of psychiatric treatments in
the United states..and its involvement in totalitarian political activity in
the former Soviet Union, racism in South Africa...
is the special pleading...
Who for example has been harmed by the abolition of shock treatment for
homosexuals for example?
Are you suggesting people are harmed by reform and the institution of
humanitarian procedures..??
Following your logic Pinel "harmed" his patients by not leaving them chained
to the walls???

John Palmer

May 25, 2001, 12:54:02 AM5/25/01
On Fri, 25 May 2001 04:34:30 +0100, "bobwhelan"
<bobw...@ntlworld.com> wrote:

Nope. Not "sleeplessness". "Sleepiness". EDS is the official
initialism, for "extreme daytime sleepiness".

>the United states..and its involvement in totalitarian political activity in
>the former Soviet Union, racism in South Africa...
>is the special pleading...
>Who for example has been harmed by the abolition of shock treatment for
>homosexuals for example?
>Are you suggesting people are harmed by reform and the institution of
>humanitarian procedures..??
>Following your logic Pinel "harmed" his patients by not leaving them chained
>to the walls???

You know, I really don't have time or energy to correct your
logic. Now, instead of special pleading ("How can you put down Szasz,
who has done nice things?"), you're introducing irrelevancies.

ADHD is real; my symptoms caused serious suffering, suffering
that, if caused by another disorder (narcolepsy) (which, BTW, is in
its own way as "subjective" as ADHD), would be treated aggressively
with those very terrible "controlling medications" (stimulants) that
are part of what these people are complaining about.

By blindly demonstrating against psychiatric meds to children,
Szasz is trying to reduce concern for these disorders, which hurts
those people who need help. Including people who, like myself, have
serious problems that have nothing to do with society, or society's
reactions to us, or beliefs about us.

And yes, that would be ironic.

bobwhelan

May 25, 2001, 1:32:06 AM5/25/01
From: "bobwhelan" <bobw...@ntlworld.com>
To: "bobwhelan" <bobw...@ntlworld.com>

Date: 25 May 2001 06:29

May 25, 2001, 1:54:55 AM5/25/01
April Garrett summarises it far more eloquently than I...

From: "bobwhelan" <bobw...@ntlworld.com>
Subject: Re: Kill the child abusers
Date: 25 May 2001 06:50

http://www.oregonlive.com/printer/printer.ssf?/metroeast/oregonian/ep_letter
24.frame

> Let kids be kids at school I'm a parent of three children who
> attend school in the Portland/Gresham area. Two of my children
> have been diagnosed with attention deficit/hyperactivity
> disorder. I had my oldest son placed on Ritalin and Clonidine, at
> the school's insistence, at age 5. My youngest son, also at the
> school's insistence and also at age 5, was placed on Ritalin.
>
> My children were no longer happy on medication. In fact, they
> seemed depressed and lacking in motivation. And they were not
> gaining weight at a good rate, so I discontinued the medications.
>
> Now the school acts as if I'm a bad parent. My children get
> written up by teachers and other school officials for the tiniest
> infractions that 15 years ago were regarded as normal child
> behavior.
>
> Take running in the building. In the past, a teacher would have
> said "slow down" or even made the child go back and walk the same
> route. Now they send home referrals for it. If they tap their
> pencils on the desk, or use markers to fill in their fingernails,
> that now warrants a note sent home.
>
> I'm a firm believer that children have to behave, but I also know
> that this is the time for them to learn from their mistakes and
> to outgrow most of these issues. If we don't let our kids be kids
> now, then when are they going to have that chance? And to
> encourage drug use in children to modify behavior is ludicrous.
>
> What is going to go through these kids' minds when they reach
> their troubling teen years, and they experience depression or
> anti-social behaviors? I'll tell you what: "I wonder if there is
> a drug that will help me deal with this?" Also on the other side
> of the issue, putting our kids on drugs does not make them
> responsible for their actions; it only gives them an excuse for
> them.
>
> I don't want to live in a world where the children are sedated,
> depressed and numb of their feelings. The childhood years are
> when they are supposed to be learning right from wrong and to
> only use drugs for sicknesses. After all, we are trying to
> discourage drug use, aren't we? I know I am. APRIL GARRETT
> Portland

John Palmer

May 25, 2001, 2:05:32 AM5/25/01
On Fri, 25 May 2001 06:32:06 +0100, "bobwhelan"
<bobw...@ntlworld.com> wrote:

(snip a bunch)

> [...]

It's only an outrage if there is large scale misdiagnosis and/or
use of the meds when not appropriate. A large number does not make
for "an outrage"; many numbers can be made large.

>> You are presumeably an adult, and given informed consent,entitled to take
>> whatever medication you can get hold of to relieve your condition..
>> this has little to do with the horror of the growing "pill lines" in
>> american school lunchbreaks.

Stating that this is "a horror", rather than questioning whether
or not it is, and indicating prejudice about disorders that affect
both children and adults, is what put both children, and adults, in
danger of being unable to obtain treatment.

>> > By blindly demonstrating against psychiatric meds to children,
>>
>> This is a total distortion and travesty...
>> you seem the one who is blinded to the bigger picture

I'm not the one throwing around numbers, hoping to impress
people, nor complaining about 'horrors' where "horror" hasn't been
established.

>> If you are struggling with this condition its easy to understand
>> your support of the medication of yourself..
>> It is a huge leap from there
>> to the advocacy of large scale routine drugging of infants...
>> and attempts to ridicule and denigrate internationally
>> respected figures in the human rights movement.

You are correct, it is a huge leap from my position, to the
positions you just stated. So why mention those positions? In hopes
of getting fools to believe that *I* hold those positions?

I truly hope you're neither that stupid, nor that dishonest..

>> > Szasz is trying to reduce concern for these disorders, which hurts
>> > those people who need help. Including people who, like myself, have
>> > serious problems that have nothing to do with society, or society's
>> > reactions to us, or beliefs about us.
>>
>> The social definition of your problem is the crux of the matter..

Using the word "social" does not make my problem one with
"society". If pressed, I could grant that "diagnostic criteria, based
upon extensive research" can be called "social definition", but the
problem exists apart from society.

>> i.e. the diagnosis which is the gateway to your tablets..
>> Under medical guidance its a personal decision for any adult.
>> In the case of a child it is an agonising decision for the parents
>> concerned..

And those parents should not be mocked with claims about the
'horror' of what they have done 'to' (properly: "for") their children
without evidence that they have done something wrong.

>> The growing number of children in state institutions, bereft of such
>> protection, who are being
>> drugged in orphanages and foster homes in the US is becoming an
>> international scandal and a major human rights issue that has nothing
>> whatsoever to do with your personal difficuties.

Really? CCHR doesn't call ADHD a "made up disorder"? I think
you'd better check your sources again.

One is not prescribed medications for "made up disorders".

Mark Probert

May 25, 2001, 7:11:59 AM5/25/01
diana <nit...@efn.org> wrote in message news:<3B0C6A44...@efn.org>...

> Chris Leithiser wrote:
> >

> > Andyboy's quotation is from PR Newswire, a pay-to-publish service that
> > takes press releases for anyone, and not from a "real" news service.
> > Andy's upset because the UFO nut-cult wouldn't have him for a
> > member...even _they_ have their standards, after all.
>

> thanks for letting us know..... fwiw, unless he has gotten a lobotomy
> (such luck) im pretty darn sure that these andy posts are actually
> fakes.

> the style is eeever so slightly different.
>
> could someone closer to new jersey please call stephanie lamberts and
> ask her what really happened......??? we have her number on the med
> list.

email me the number and details

Caitriona Mac Fhiodhbhuidhe

May 25, 2001, 8:35:21 AM5/25/01
bobwhelan wrote:

> "John Palmer" <jpal...@ix.netcom.com> wrote:
<snipped>

> > Szasz believes there is no such thing as mental illness, period,
> > the end, near as I can tell from the web. It would seem that any
> > psychiatric treatment would be classified as "abuse" by such a person.
> > Regardless of whether or not this is the case, since my "difference in
> > thinking that was not accepted by society" caused me much suffering
> > (including sleepiness usually associated with narcolepsy), I find that
> > viewpoint to be foolish.
>
> t would be foolish if that was his view but it is not..
> He feels many people profitably treated for "mental illness " in fact have
> "problems in living",
> and the medicalization of these problems far from being appropriate,can lead
> to stigmagtization and a drastic drop in self-esteeem.

He should meet our 11yo, who had a drastic INCREASE is self-esteem and
an almost total DECREASE in ostrasization (is that a word?? he is no
longer ostrasized by his peers) after being formally dx'd ADHD and
prescribed Concerta.

--
Kitten
= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

Caitriona Mac Fhiodhbhuidhe

May 25, 2001, 8:48:00 AM5/25/01
bobwhelan wrote:

> "Patient of Dr. Nightmare" <doctorn...@mediaone.net> wrote:
<snipped>

> > You are absolutely right. As I remember his books (I read them quite a
> while
> > ago), he was also talking about the historical and social relativity of
> > mental health and mental illness. He believed that in many cases a
> diagnosis
> > of "mental illness' was nothing more than a moral judgment imposed on an
> > individual. He also believed that psychiatric treatment often amounted to
> > patient coercion into the belief system of the "healer"-psychiatrist. Of
> > course these ideas mostly applied to the field of psychoanalysis/therapy.
> >
> Yes..
> As long as thirty years ago he was fighting the stigmatization of
> homosexuals,for example,
> by classifying them as mentally ill...
> That Anatole Prokopenko sees parallels with the use of coersive psychiatry
> in the
> former Soviet Union for political purposes should ring alarm bells.
> But not in some quarters it seems.
> The whole thrust of Szasz"s argument has been to fight the imposition of
> coersive "therapy" on socially powerless and helpless populations.

What the hell does this have to do with ADHD? I don't see anything in
any of these posts that will help my mother, my son, or me deal with
living with the difficulties that arise from having ADHD.

Patient of Dr. Nightmare

May 25, 2001, 9:11:34 AM5/25/01

> On Fri, 25 May 2001 06:32:06 +0100, "bobwhelan"
> <bobw...@ntlworld.com> wrote:
>
> (snip a bunch)

Has your ADHD diagnosis been confirmed by any *biological* tests that showed
the abnormality of your brain? If not, your claim to having ADHD is no more
valid than a claim of those who say they have seen UFOs. Doesn't it fly in
the face on any reason, that the so-called biological psychiatry has
absolutely no biological proof to any of it's claims?

> >> They are not complaining..they are exposing the outrage that 6.2
Billion
> >> psychiatric pills are given to children each year...

Of course, you, as an adult, have a right to treat yourself with any
medication of your choice, with or without scientific justification.
However, there is no moral right to perform chemotherapy on millions of
voiceless children without a proof that these children are indeed ill.

Caitriona Mac Fhiodhbhuidhe

May 25, 2001, 9:05:43 AM5/25/01
bobwhelan re-wrote:
> Bob Whelan wrote:
> > John Palmer wrote:
<snipped>

> > > ADHD is real; my symptoms caused serious suffering, suffering
> > > that, if caused by another disorder (narcolepsy) (which, BTW, is in
> > > its own way as "subjective" as ADHD), would be treated aggressively
> > > with those very terrible "controlling medications" (stimulants) that
> > > are part of what these people are complaining about.
> >
> > They are not complaining..they are exposing the outrage that 6.2 Billion
> > psychiatric pills are given to children each year...

Cite to the source of your numbers, please.

> > You are presumeably an adult, and given informed consent,entitled to take
> > whatever medication you can get hold of to relieve your condition..
> > this has little to do with the horror of the growing "pill lines" in
> > american school lunchbreaks.

"horror of the growing 'pill lines' in american school lunchbreaks"?
Good grief. Do you believe every bit of propaganda you read? Have you
tried investigating the situation and thinking for yourself?

> > > By blindly demonstrating against psychiatric meds to children,
> >
> > This is a total distortion and travesty...
> > you seem the one who is blinded to the bigger picture
> > If you are struggling with this condition its easy to understand
> > your support of the medication of yourself..
> > It is a huge leap from there
> > to the advocacy of large scale routine drugging of infants...

And *who* is drugging infants? Who is even dx'ing infants with ADHD?
Cites, please.

> > and attempts to ridicule and denigrate internationally
> > respected figures in the human rights movement.

Perhaps he should stick with human rights and stop trying to take away
the rights to needed medical attention.

> > > Szasz is trying to reduce concern for these disorders, which hurts
> > > those people who need help. Including people who, like myself, have
> > > serious problems that have nothing to do with society, or society's
> > > reactions to us, or beliefs about us.
> >
> > The social definition of your problem is the crux of the matter..
> > i.e. the diagnosis which is the gateway to your tablets..

"gateway to your tablets"??? Do you know *anything* about the way ADHD
is treated? Anything at all other than propaganda?

> > Under medical guidance its a personal decision for any adult.
> > In the case of a child it is an agonising decision for the parents
> > concerned..

Well, at least you've got *something* right.

> > The growing number of children in state institutions, bereft of such
> > protection, who are being
> > drugged in orphanages and foster homes in the US is becoming an
> > international scandal and a major human rights issue that has nothing
> > whatsoever to do with your personal difficuties.

And you have cites for this?

Patient of Dr. Nightmare

May 25, 2001, 9:35:13 AM5/25/01

> April Garrett summarises it far more eloquently than I...
>
> From: "bobwhelan" <bobw...@ntlworld.com>
> Subject: Re: Kill the child abusers
> Date: 25 May 2001 06:50

http://www.oregonlive.com/printer/printer.ssf?/metroeast/oregonian/ep_letter
> 24.frame

Could you please repost hyperlink to this page. All I see is a logo and no
text.

Mark Probert

May 25, 2001, 12:41:24 PM5/25/01
On Fri, 25 May 2001 13:11:34 GMT, "Patient of Dr. Nightmare"
<doctorn...@mediaone.net> wrote:

>"John Palmer" <jpal...@ix.netcom.com> wrote in message
>> On Fri, 25 May 2001 06:32:06 +0100, "bobwhelan"
>> <bobw...@ntlworld.com> wrote:
>>
>> (snip a bunch)

There are several **medical** conditions that have no clinical
findings, do not show up on x-rays or scans, and have no laboratory
tests that demonstrate that they actually exist. Does this mean that
they do not exist?

Chris Leithiser

May 25, 2001, 1:43:29 PM5/25/01
"Patient of Dr. Nightmare" wrote:

> > >"Mark Probert" <Mark_P...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> > I would not expect you to uncderstand that.
> >
> No, you shouldn't. I can say with all honesty that *I* would have *never*
> made this choice for my child.

I have no doubt that you would say that. It is your honesty I doubt.

Mark Probert

May 25, 2001, 3:22:19 PM5/25/01

Christopher, I do not doubt Nightmare's honesty and sincerity in
holding s/h/it's beliefs. What I find pathetic is that Nightmare
cannot respect anyone who chooses differently that s/h/it does and has
to use such techniques as comparing people to Dr. Mengele. S/h/it has
a right to do that, and I have the equal right to think that s/h/it is
a moron for doing it.

John Palmer

May 25, 2001, 7:02:26 PM5/25/01
<doctorn...@mediaone.net> wrote:

> [...]

Neither is a claim of narcolepsy, nor a claim of fibromyalgia,
nor many other problems that afflict the human body. (Here's a
suggestion: don't talk to folks with fibro about lacks of "biological
tests showing abnormalities" and suggesting that their suffering isn't
real.)

>Doesn't it fly in
>the face on any reason, that the so-called biological psychiatry has
>absolutely no biological proof to any of it's claims?

You're right. There were no bacterial or viral infections
before we could accurately detect bacteria and virii.

(Yes, that's sarcasm.)