Bellevue Hospital & Abuse in NY State

Twittering One

Sep 6, 2008, 12:13:39 PM9/6/08
August 28, 2008
The New Yorkt Times
Editorial

Why Did Darryl Die?

Two years after a child died there, the Justice Department is
conducting a much-needed investigation of New York’s Tryon Boys
Residential Center, a juvenile facility in upstate Fulton County. The
investigation could take a year or more to complete. But it has
already shined a klieg light on disastrous juvenile justice policies,
not just in New York, but all across the country.

All too often, juvenile justice facilities are operated by workers who
have not been trained to handle the mentally ill children who make up
much of the caseload. Facilities also ???OVERUSE??? dangerous
restraint and disciplinary practices in which children are handcuffed,
hog tied, bound to chairs or wrestled to the floor and held down.

According to grand jury testimony, staff members at the Tryon Boys
facility used the so-called prone restraint strategy against Darryl
Thompson, an emotionally disturbed 15-year-old. He is said by the
medical examiner to have died of arrhythmia.

The two large-framed men who forced Darryl onto the floor and held him
there with their bodies say that they had no choice because the child
was agitated and flailing about. There is no excuse for their failure
to begin cardiopulmonary resuscitation immediately after Darryl’s
heart stopped. According to state officials, all three staff members
who were present had been trained in C.P.R. and were required to
administer it. None did.

***The medical examiner labeled the death a homicide, but the grand
jury declined to indict the two workers.***

The Justice Department will not say why it is now investigating Tryon,
but the problems there clearly have not ended. This summer, according
to state officials, a staff member was caught on videotape punching a
handcuffed child in the face.

Gladys Carrión, the reform-minded commissioner of New York’s Office of
Children and Family Services, took office soon after Darryl’s death.
She has been struggling ever since to move New York away from a prison-
style juvenile justice system that relies mainly on force toward one
that focuses on rehabilitation. Like reformers elsewhere, she is
encountering stiff resistance from the unions that represent the
facilities’ staff.

To remake the system, New York State will need to downsize some
facilities. It will need to hire more mental health professionals and
retrain current staff members, some of whom have been doing business
the bad-old way for 25 years or more. The state needs to help cities
and towns develop community-based treatment programs. New York City is
sensibly moving in that direction. New York and all states have a
responsibility to protect children, including those who have committed
crimes.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/28/opinion/28thu2.html?_r=1&oref=slogin

Twittering One

Sep 8, 2008, 1:46:46 PM9/8/08

Bellevue Hospital also uses unsafe interrogation practices.

Twittering One

Sep 10, 2008, 10:41:57 AM9/10/08
On Sep 6, 12:13 pm, Twittering One <mournenwo...@aol.com> wrote:

I bumped into Nancy C. Bannon, who was running for Manhattan Civil
Court Judge, in yesterday's NYC primaries.

I told her to look me up, but I can't vote.

Twittering One

Sep 10, 2008, 10:53:01 AM9/10/08
> I told her to look me up, but I can't vote.- Hide quoted text -

Staff on 20 West of Bellevue's psych wards make HATE REMARKS regarding
homosexuals.

"You think you're a PRINCESS, don't you," I was told when asking
(begging) for Kotex, from staff, and told there was none.

Twittering One

Sep 12, 2008, 10:36:38 AM9/12/08
On Sep 6, 12:13 pm, Twittering One <mournenwo...@aol.com> wrote:

"Don't put yourself in harms way ... your safety is paramount," says
Mayor Bloomberg.

You mean like you and your NYC workers did to me?
~ Virginia Hooper

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/ny_crime/2008/09/09/2008-09-09_use_your_cell_phone_to_battle_bad_guys.html

Twittering One

Sep 12, 2008, 1:42:41 PM9/12/08
> http://www.nydailynews.com/news/ny_crime/2008/09/09/2008-09-09_use_yo...- Hide quoted text -

If you wont implement BASIC changes in 6 years of term office (eg,
laundry facilities in homeless shelters that don't cost money people
don't have, in order to wash their clothes, USE YOUR CONSIDERABLE
FOUNDATION RESOURCES TO BRING ABOUT SOME BASIC CHANGES THAT ARE NOT
HIGH CONCEPT.

Give money to that shithole hosptial Bellevue to REDO their psych
wards so the sounds don't ECHO like you are in the PIT OF HELL.

NYU MC is spiffing their quarters up for LONGONE AESTHETIC
UNIFICATION.

Do something low concept for your stinking home town, BESIDES HAVE
YOUR NYC STAFF LOCK A PERSON UP IN BELLEVUE AND GET INJURED WITH NERVE
DAMAGE AND SPINE DAMAGE.

Twittering One

Sep 13, 2008, 11:46:39 AM9/13/08
> >http://www.nydailynews.com/news/ny_crime/2008/09/09/2008-09-09_use_yo...Hide quoted text -

> If you wont implement BASIC changes in 6 years of term office (eg,
> laundry facilities in homeless shelters that don't cost money people
> don't have, in order to wash their clothes, USE YOUR CONSIDERABLE
> FOUNDATION RESOURCES TO BRING ABOUT SOME BASIC CHANGES THAT ARE NOT
> HIGH CONCEPT.
>
> Give money to that shithole hosptial Bellevue to REDO their psych
> wards so the sounds don't ECHO like you are in the PIT OF HELL.
>
> NYU MC is spiffing their quarters up for LONGONE AESTHETIC
> UNIFICATION.
>
> Do something low concept for your stinking home town, BESIDES HAVE
> YOUR NYC STAFF LOCK A PERSON UP IN BELLEVUE AND GET INJURED WITH NERVE
> DAMAGE AND SPINE DAMAGE.- Hide quoted text -

I got an email from Bellevue Hospital today stating that their
investigation concluded that my stay in that SHITHOLE hospital was
standard and without undue incident.

I don't know if that is a perverted version of "dialectical therapy,"
or strategy for legal purposes or their official conclusion.

But it was serious endangerment, with serious injuries resulting.

Virginia Hooper
New York City

Twittering One

Sep 13, 2008, 11:52:22 AM9/13/08
> > >http://www.nydailynews.com/news/ny_crime/2008/09/09/2008-09-09_use_yo...quoted text -

> > If you wont implement BASIC changes in 6 years of term office (eg,
> > laundry facilities in homeless shelters that don't cost money people
> > don't have, in order to wash their clothes, USE YOUR CONSIDERABLE
> > FOUNDATION RESOURCES TO BRING ABOUT SOME BASIC CHANGES THAT ARE NOT
> > HIGH CONCEPT.
>
> > Give money to that shithole hosptial Bellevue to REDO their psych
> > wards so the sounds don't ECHO like you are in the PIT OF HELL.
>
> > NYU MC is spiffing their quarters up for LONGONE AESTHETIC
> > UNIFICATION.
>
> > Do something low concept for your stinking home town, BESIDES HAVE
> > YOUR NYC STAFF LOCK A PERSON UP IN BELLEVUE AND GET INJURED WITH NERVE
> > DAMAGE AND SPINE DAMAGE.- Hide quoted text -

> I got an email from Bellevue Hospital today stating that their
> investigation concluded that my stay in that SHITHOLE hospital was
> standard and without undue incident.
>
> I don't know if that is a perverted version of "dialectical therapy,"
> or strategy for legal purposes or their official conclusion.
>
> But it was serious endangerment, with serious injuries resulting.
>
> Virginia Hooper
> New York City- Hide quoted text -

I challenge Mayor Michael Bloomberg to get MACED with full spray,
cuffed with his hands behind his back, forced to the ground -- left
there for 15 minutes give or take a few -- forced to get up and walk
to a waiting ambulance, climb shorts steps, climb into the back of an
ambulance, on his own feel, with 2 NYC police at his arms.

Virginia Hooper

Twittering One

Sep 13, 2008, 11:54:29 AM9/13/08
> Virginia Hooper- Hide quoted text -

I challenge Mayor Michael Bloomberg to get MACED with full spray,
cuffed with his hands behind his back, forced to the ground -- left
there for 15 minutes give or take a few -- forced to get up and walk
to a waiting ambulance, climb shorts steps, climb into the back of an

ambulance, on his own feet, with 2 NYC police at his arms.

And discover the following day that his NYS Photo Identification is
missing.

Virginia Hooper

Frank

Sep 13, 2008, 6:44:24 PM9/13/08

"Twittering One" <mourne...@aol.com> wrote in message

Virginia Hooper
They did not state that the NYPD was not in error, just them.

Sounds like your complaint is with the PD and its staff.

If you have the badge numbers of the police that you feel abused you,
then use that information and file a complaint. They have to respond and
investigate.

PS is that your real name?

Twittering One

Sep 15, 2008, 12:48:08 PM9/15/08
On Sep 13, 6:44 pm, "Frank" <dawgf...@ten.hut> wrote:
> "Twittering One" <mournenwo...@aol.com> wrote in message
> PS is that your real name?- Hide quoted text -

Warning Frank:
I do not intend to have a discussion with you online.
Virgnia H. Hooper

Frank

Sep 15, 2008, 7:48:39 PM9/15/08

On Sep 13, 6:44 pm, "Frank" <dawgf...@ten.hut> wrote:
> "Twittering One" <mournenwo...@aol.com> wrote in message

Warning Frank:
I do not intend to have a discussion with you online.
Virgnia H. Hooper
LOL, And I certainly will not have one with you offline.

I was just curious as it was the first time I saw you use your name, I
read your posts with interest, and following some of your musings
likewise. I asked only to place an identity with the Twittering One.

Do have a nice day and I bid you peace. (You'll personally not see any
garbage from me and if someone uses my name in a derogatory manner
towards you pay attention to the email address, etc. It will not be from
me.)

Twittering One

Sep 16, 2008, 1:31:36 PM9/16/08
> > >http://www.nydailynews.com/news/ny_crime/2008/09/09/2008-09-09_use_yo...quoted text -

> > If you wont implement BASIC changes in 6 years of term office (eg,
> > laundry facilities in homeless shelters that don't cost money people
> > don't have, in order to wash their clothes, USE YOUR CONSIDERABLE
> > FOUNDATION RESOURCES TO BRING ABOUT SOME BASIC CHANGES THAT ARE NOT
> > HIGH CONCEPT.
>
> > Give money to that shithole hosptial Bellevue to REDO their psych
> > wards so the sounds don't ECHO like you are in the PIT OF HELL.
>
> > NYU MC is spiffing their quarters up for LONGONE AESTHETIC
> > UNIFICATION.
>
> > Do something low concept for your stinking home town, BESIDES HAVE
> > YOUR NYC STAFF LOCK A PERSON UP IN BELLEVUE AND GET INJURED WITH NERVE
> > DAMAGE AND SPINE DAMAGE.- Hide quoted text -

> I got an email from Bellevue Hospital today stating that their
> investigation concluded that my stay in that SHITHOLE hospital was
> standard and without undue incident.
>
> I don't know if that is a perverted version of "dialectical therapy,"
> or strategy for legal purposes or their official conclusion.
>
> But it was serious endangerment, with serious injuries resulting.
>
> Virginia Hooper
> New York City- Hide quoted text -

I got another email today from the not-so-delightful offices of
Bellevue Hospital.

Only, because I am homeless and must utilize a NYPL computer to access
my maill -- and the libray's computers are having freeze-system errors
today -- I cannot access my email to open it.

Frank

Sep 16, 2008, 6:46:56 PM9/16/08

"Twittering One" <mourne...@aol.com> wrote in message

===================================

get a job

Frank

Sep 16, 2008, 8:05:35 PM9/16/08

"Twittering One" <mourne...@aol.com> wrote in message

That is too bad, sometimes a system re-boot will straighten things out
if they let you do it there.

What I was concerned about has already happened. A pitiful person who is
trying to impersonate me has already responded. They are vile, and
without personal regard. So until the inevitable happens I will not be
posting to you, only reading. Please disregard any or all posts from
"Frank". I do not wish you any harm or ill will.

Passing on my best wishes to you and good health.

Sir Arthur

Sep 16, 2008, 11:21:34 PM9/16/08
On Sep 16, 3:46 pm, "Frank" <dawgf...@ten.hot> wrote:
> "Twittering One" <mournenwo...@aol.com> wrote in message

Up Yours Frank, why don't you get a brain. This is a support group
you friggin idiot. Do you know the phrase go to hell, that would be
too good a place for you and your ilk: Proby, Wright, et. al.

Twittering One

Sep 17, 2008, 4:16:33 PM9/17/08
August 28, 2008
> > The New York Times
> http://www.nydailynews.com/news/ny_crime/2008/09/09/2008-09-09_use_yo...- Hide quoted text -

"With all the progress on our streets and in our schools, it’s easy to
forget how we achieved our success: through innovative policies that
have demanded full accountability to one person — the mayor."
~ Michael Bloomberg,
New York Times 9.16.08

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/09/16/opinion/l16bloomberg.html?_r=1&oref=slogin

Mr. Mayor:
Have your innovative polices been messing with my personal healthcare?

What's INNOVATIVE about being pulverized in Belleue Hospital, and
living as I am now?
~ Virginia Hooper

Twittering One

Sep 19, 2008, 11:19:23 AM9/19/08
> >http://www.nydailynews.com/news/ny_crime/2008/09/09/2008-09-09_use_yo...Hide quoted text -

> "With all the progress on our streets and in our schools, it’s easy to
> forget how we achieved our success: through innovative policies that
> have demanded full accountability to one person — the mayor."
> ~ Michael Bloomberg,
> New York Times 9.16.08
>
> http://www.nytimes.com/2008/09/16/opinion/l16bloomberg.html?_r=1&oref...

> Mr. Mayor:
> Have your innovative polices been messing with my personal healthcare?
>
> What's INNOVATIVE about being pulverized in Belleue Hospital, and
> living as I am now?
> ~ Virginia Hooper- Hide quoted text -

I think you have been messing with my healthcare, and I consider that
a violation of my sefety.

Virginia Hooper

Twittering One

Sep 20, 2008, 11:23:58 AM9/20/08
CITY SERVING UP HEALTHIER FOOD
New York Post

[WHY CAN'T THE NY TIMES REPORT THESE SOTIRES TOO?]

By DAVID SEIFMAN
September 20, 2008

Mayor Bloomberg yesterday said the city would impose nutritional
standards on every one of the 225 million meals and snacks it serves
each year.

[GOOD WORK!!!]

"Fried food out, fresh fruits and vegetables in," he declared at PS
189 in Washington Heights.

Within six months, nothing deep fried will be served at public
hospitals, homeless shelters or senior centers, and all juices will be
100 percent juice.

[THIS SOUNDS LIKE A GOOD DECISION, AND I THANK YOU. I will also
confess to you: I am a fitness fanatic, ordinarily, and I normally try
to eat all good healthy fresh food, give or take Chinese food. But I
LOVE potato chips and Diet Coke, especially after cycling 90 minutes,
running 3 miles, and some yogal.

I spent almost 3 months in a cikty hospital, Bellevue, and once I
stopped trying to get a decent vegetarian meal and accepted the
standard serving, and succomed to to eating the meatloaf, I found the
food in that hospital, in 2006, to be balanced and good, for hospital
food. But none of my friends came to visit me but one, who kindly
brought me some fresh fruit that I requested.

And the whole time, I craved a Coke with some caffiene and some chips.
I wish there was a way for volunteers to go into city hospitals and
offer a fund "Snack Food Night, with soda pop. Bellevue did offer an
occasional pop corn snack night; but what is pop corn without a Diet
Coke?"]

Bloomberg insisted government wasn't overstepping its bounds, saying,
"You don't have to take city food."

[NOT ENTIRELY TRUE, Mayor; rethink your logic and offer a better
justification for a smart decision.

DOES THIS MEAN THAT NYC JAILS WILL NOT SERVE PROCESSED CHEESE
SANDWICHES ON WHITE BREAD, OR BOLOGNA OR SALAMI?

Thank you for improving the city's food Mr. Bloomberg. FYI: When my
grandfather was a Mayor Too, my grandmother served as the volunteer
Dietician for the small rural hospital in Alabama.

Ps. Who did your recent cometic surgery, for your "eye lift"?]

Twittering One

Sep 25, 2008, 1:22:53 PM9/25/08
Here's something I learned today* at the New York Public Library ~
Science, Business & Industry branch site ...

In 2014, the WONDERFUL old Altman's department store site -- where
currently the even more wonderful Science, Industry & Business NYPL is
house, with impressive technology and access -- is slated to go on
sale on the open market, because the original donar, Mr. Rose, wrote
that into the plan.

What a bloody LOSS for ALL NYers.

________________________
* I cannot vouch for the authenticity of this information, or reveal
my informant.

Twittering One

Sep 27, 2008, 11:33:51 AM9/27/08
The New York Times
September 26, 2008

Taser Use in Man’s Death Broke Rules, Police Say
By KAREEM FAHIM and CHRISTINE HAUSER

The firing of a Taser stun gun that led an emotionally disturbed man
to fall from a Brooklyn building ledge to his death on Wednesday
appeared to have violated departmental guidelines, the police said on
Thursday.

The guidelines tell officers that when possible, the Taser, which
fires barbs that deliver thousands of volts of electrical current,
should not be used in situations when a person could fall from an
elevated surface.

A law enforcement official identified the lieutenant who gave the
order to use the Taser as Michael Pigott, a 21-year veteran of the
force. He was placed on modified assignment without his gun and badge,
and the officer who fired the weapon was put on administrative duty
amid an investigation by the Police Department and the Brooklyn
district attorney. The police declined to identify the officer.

Officers at the scene of the confrontation had called by radio for an
inflatable bag as the events unfolded, but it had not yet arrived when
the man, Iman Morales, 35, was struck with the device and fell,
according to a statement by the department’s chief spokesman, Paul J.
Browne.

“None of the E.S.U. officers on the scene were positioned to break his
fall, nor did they devise a plan in advance to do so,” the statement
said, referring to the elite police Emergency Service Unit.

The department’s response to Mr. Morales’s death took less than a day,
in a quick attempt to address the elements of the case that have
tested the department in the past: It has long wrestled with the best
way to train officers who confront people with mental illness, and
there has been continuing debate about the department’s use of Tasers,
which have a troubled history in New York and which the police have
resisted using widely.

A report by the RAND Corporation — commissioned in January 2007 after
the 2006 death of Sean Bell and released this June — recommended that
the New York Police Department experiment with using the Tasers more
as an alternative to firearms. So far, the police commissioner,
Raymond W. Kelly, has not carried out a recommendation of the study
that the availability of Tasers be expanded in two precincts as part
of a pilot program. Currently, only sergeants and members of the
Emergency Service Unit carry the weapons.

The events in the current case began shortly before 2 p.m. on
Wednesday, when Mr. Morales’s mother asked someone to call 911 after
her son did not answer the door of his apartment at 489 Tompkins
Avenue in Bedford-Stuyvesant, the police said.

A patrol officer arrived at the scene first, and a few minutes later,
a unit of Emergency Service officers. When they arrived, the police
said, Mr. Morales ran onto the fire escape outside his third-floor
apartment.

Fleeing the officers up the fire escape, he tried to enter an
apartment on the fourth floor by pushing in an air-conditioner, the
police said. Unsuccessful, he then descended to the second-floor fire
escape and from there jumped down to the security-gate housing for a
ground-floor storefront, which was about 10 feet from the sidewalk.

As an officer was securing himself on the second-floor fire escape,
Mr. Morales jabbed at him with an eight-foot-long fluorescent light
tube, the police said.

Under orders from a lieutenant, the officer on the sidewalk, who is 37
and has been in the department for 10 years, used the Taser on Mr.
Morales, according to the police, and he fell to the sidewalk, hitting
his head. That was at 2:27, the Police Department said, about 22
minutes after the Emergency Service officers arrived at the scene. The
police said an officer at the scene had radioed for an inflatable bag,
and it was not clear why the bag had not arrived when Mr. Morales
fell, or why the officers had not waited for it before using the Taser
on Mr. Morales.

Mr. Morales was taken to Kings County Hospital Center with serious
head trauma and was later pronounced dead. The cause of death has not
yet been determined.

The order not to use the Taser in such circumstances appears in a 10-
page interim order issued by the Police Department in June. Mr. Browne
said that the order was released before the distribution of new
holsters for police sergeants, who were ordered to carry their Tasers
with them, rather than keep them in their cars, as they had previously
done. Emergency Service officers have been carrying them for 24 years.

The order discusses types of people the Taser should not be used on,
including children, the elderly and pregnant women, and instructs
officers not to use them “in situations where the subject may fall
from an elevated surface.”

Mr. Browne said that the Brooklyn district attorney’s office had asked
the department not to interview the two officers while the Police
Department and the district attorney investigate the events of
Wednesday afternoon. Such a request is routine, for legal reasons.

A video taken by a witness and posted on the Web site of The New York
Post on Wednesday shows Mr. Morales naked on the ledge, waving a long
light tube. As he tumbles to the ground, onlookers can be heard
screaming.

Officers in the Emergency Service Unit receive intensive training for
exactly the kind of crisis depicted on the video. Their training
includes how to deal with emotionally disturbed people and the use of
nonlethal restraints. They are taught how to use air bags and how to
deal with would-be jumpers.

The officers in the unit have carried Tasers since shortly after the
1984 death of Eleanor Bumpurs, a disturbed, obese woman who was
shotgunned to death by an officer in her apartment after she escaped a
restraint and brandished a knife.

Last year, members of the unit helped respond to most of the 80,000
calls the Police Department received for reports of emotionally
disturbed people, the police said.

According to the Civilian Complaint Review Board, there were 39
complaints about the Emergency Service Unit last year, the highest
number since 2003, when there were 44 complaints. Only one of the
claims last year was substantiated.

One frequent critic of the Police Department, State Senator Eric L.
Adams of Brooklyn, said that the death of Mr. Morales underscored its
continued inability to deal with the mentally ill. Standing in front
of Mr. Morales’s building, Senator Adams said, “You can give someone
desk duty, you can suspend someone, you can fire someone, but these
are Band-Aids.”

Andy Newman contributed reporting.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/09/26/nyregion/26taser.html?_r=1&scp=2&sq=taser&st=cse&oref=slogin

Twittering One

Sep 30, 2008, 1:59:49 PM9/30/08
Dear Mayor Bloomberg ~

It's nice the church fills in the gaps with compassion and courtesy;
but do not expect them to endorse you.

The New York Times
September 27, 2008
Editorial

I’m Your Pastor, and I Approved This Ad

Call it an act of faith or call it a political ploy, but 33 ministers
plan to endorse a presidential candidate from their Sunday pulpits in
defiance of federal law.

The ministers and the conservative group organizing them know they are
breaking a 54-year-old law barring tax-exempt organizations from using
their sheltered status to support a political candidate. They want to
be taken to court, quickly, in hopes of overturning it.

The pastors complain that the statute limits their free expression. We
take any challenge to free speech very seriously, but this is not a
challenge to free speech. This is about protecting the collection
plate while using the power of the pulpit to influence elections.
Shepherds are entirely free to tell their flocks whom to vote for.
They just cannot expect taxpayers to subsidize turning their churches
into campaign offices.

The tax code mandate they are challenging has protected the separation
of church and state by denying tax deductions for contributions to
charitable organizations that engage in secular campaigning.

The ministers haven’t announced their preferences, although Senator
John McCain is expected to be favored. Senator Barack Obama has
blurred church-state lines in promising more subsidies for social
programs run by religious-based groups. But Mr. McCain has gone much
farther, proclaiming America to be “a Christian nation.”

A (tax-exempt) consortium of Christian lawyers that presses
conservative causes — the Alliance Defense Fund — has organized the
ministers’ protest as Pulpit Freedom Sunday. They argue that the tax
code restricts their right to be “talking to their congregations about
biblical issues related to candidates and elections.”

Taxpayers of any faith should see this as an election-year gambit to
dash the pillar of church-state separation. Other clergy, mindful of
being spiritual not political ministers, have organized to say no
thanks to Pulpit Freedom Sunday. We expect the courts and the Internal
Revenue Service to say those preachers are in the right.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/09/27/opinion/27sat4.html?_r=1&oref=slogin

Twittering One

Oct 1, 2008, 10:57:59 AM10/1/08
The New York Times
October 1, 2008

Medicare Won’t Pay for Medical Errors
By KEVIN SACK

ST. PAUL — If an auto mechanic accidentally breaks your windshield
while trying to repair the engine, he would never get away with
billing you for fixing his mistake. On Wednesday, Medicare will start
applying that logic to American medicine on a broad scale when it
stops paying hospitals for the added cost of treating patients who are
injured in their care.

Medicare, which provides coverage for the elderly and disabled, has
put 10 “reasonably preventable” conditions on its initial list, saying
it will not pay when patients receive incompatible blood transfusions,
develop infections after certain surgeries or must undergo a second
operation to retrieve a sponge left behind from the first. Serious bed
sores, injuries from falls and urinary tract infections caused by
catheters are also on the list.

Officials believe that the regulations could apply to several hundred
thousand hospital stays of the 12.5 million covered annually by
Medicare. The policy will also prevent hospitals from billing patients
directly for costs generated by medical errors.

Because Medicare is the largest insurer in the country, its decision
to refuse payment for preventable conditions has already influenced
others — public and private — to set similar criteria.

Over the last year, four state Medicaid programs, including New
York’s, have announced that they will not pay for as many as 28 “never
events” (so called because they are never supposed to happen). So have
some of the country’s largest commercial insurers, including
WellPoint, Aetna, Cigna and Blue Cross Blue Shield plans in seven
states.

A number of state hospital associations, including here in Minnesota,
have brokered voluntary agreements that members will not bill for
medical errors. In April, Maine became the first state to ban the
practice statutorily.

The Congressionally mandated Medicare measure is not projected to
yield large savings — $21 million a year, compared with $110 billion
spent on inpatient care in 2007. But it carries great symbolism in the
Bush administration’s efforts to revamp the country’s medical payment
system, which has long been criticized as driving up costs through
perverse incentives that reward the quantity of care more than the
promotion of health.

The real money, many health economists believe, may come from
reorienting the payment system to encourage prevention and chronic
disease management and to discourage unnecessary procedures. The two
major-party presidential candidates support such a realignment, a rare
point of consensus in a polarized health care debate.

“This is a specific case of the larger pay-for-performance trend, the
idea that you should pay more for quality than lack of quality, or in
this case pay less for defects,” said Dr. Donald M. Berwick, president
of the Institute for Healthcare Improvement. “This whole trend is like
a juggernaut, and it is not going to stop.”

Pay-for-performance makes use of both the carrot and the stick.
Medicare now grants bonuses to doctors and hospitals that report
quality measures. It is experimenting with rewarding physicians who
follow protocols for treating diabetes, coronary artery disease and
congestive heart failure. The Medicare Payment Advisory Commission, an
arm of Congress, recently recommended reducing payments to hospitals
with high readmission rates.

Three years ago, HealthPartners, a Minnesota-based health maintenance
organization, was first in the country to refuse payment to hospitals
for never events. Company officials said the policy has yet to save
much money. But at Regions Hospital in St. Paul, which is owned by
HealthPartners, the change has reinforced a new focus on reducing
medical errors.

“Historically, there’s been some acceptance that these things happen,”
said Brock D. Nelson, the hospital’s president. “We’ve come to now
accept that they’re avoidable. And that’s a sea change.”

Some improvements have been technological, like an electronic
prescribing system that has helped cut medication errors in half.
Others are breathtaking in their obviousness, like diligent hand-
washing.

Nurses have been trained to provide more information during shift
changes about whether patients are prone to falls. High-risk
medications like heparin are now marked with pink labels to ward
against mix-ups.

Shortly before Cynthia A. Kehborn’s recent ankle fusion surgery, her
orthopedic surgeon, Dr. Peter A. Cole, checked records and asked her
repeatedly whether he would be operating on her left leg. He then took
a sterile marker and signed his initials on her left ankle.

As they prepared for surgery, technicians tallied sponges and blades
so they could later be sure that none were left behind. Before taking
up his scalpel, Dr. Cole was reminded by the “Time-Out!” towel
covering his surgical tray to call for a brief break.

“We have Cynthia here for a left ankle fuse,” he announced. “Does
everybody agree?” After all in the room chimed their agreement, he
made his incision.

In pre-op, Ms. Kehborn, 48, said it had never occurred to her that
patients might be charged for a medical error.

“It should be the hospital’s and doctor’s responsibility to step up to
the plate and own up to their mistakes,” she said. “I’d be livid if we
had to pay for it.”

The patient safety movement picked up steam in this country in 1999,
when the Institute of Medicine, a prestigious advisory group,
estimated that 44,000 to 98,000 Americans died each year from
preventable medical errors.

In response, at least 20 states have passed laws requiring hospitals
to report mistakes or preventable infections publicly, according to
the National Conference of State Legislatures. The federal Centers for
Medicare and Medicaid Services now requires hospitals to report on 42
quality measures. Hospitals that do not fully report may be docked up
to 2 percent of their reimbursement.

In 2002, the National Quality Forum, a standard-setting consortium for
the health care industry, compiled a list of 27 largely preventable
adverse events, a list that grew to 28 in 2006 with the addition of
“artificial insemination with the wrong donor sperm or egg.” In 2003,
Minnesota became the first state to require reporting of all errors on
the list, and last year the state’s hospital association became the
first to announce that its members would not bill for them.

The number of never events in Minnesota reported to the state has been
low — 106 in 2004-5, 154 in 2005-6 and 125 in 2006-7. The most
frequent errors have been bed sores, retained objects and wrong-site
surgeries. Regions Hospital had six or seven reportable errors in each
of those years, including one death, a suicide.

Because individual hospitals may report only a few serious errors a
year, they have started collaborating to look for common threads and
propose solutions. Some of the innovations were initially greeted with
rolled eyes, but hospital officials say that has lessened.
Nonetheless, studies by the University of Minnesota found that some of
the safety procedures, like the pre-surgery time-outs, have largely
become rote.

Clear trend lines are not expected for several years. Some states have
found through audits that not all errors are being reported, but
Minnesota officials believe that compliance is high.

“There’s been an understanding by hospitals that we’re not trying to
get them, that we’re really focused on what we can learn from these
events,” said Diane C. Rydrych, the state health department official
in charge of reporting.

Nancy E. Foster, vice president for quality and patient safety at the
American Hospital Association, said hospitals had generally accepted
that many of the 28 adverse events should never happen, like giving a
patient the wrong type of blood. But she said other areas could be
gray, like an injury caused by a malfunctioning device.

“Anyone — I don’t care who they are — always finds it a little
provocative to be held accountable for something that is not within
their control, especially when you have dedicated yourself to doing
the right thing for your patients,” Ms. Foster said. Such unforgiving
standards, she said, can “set an expectation among patients that staff
will be closer to perfect than they actually can achieve.”

Even America’s Health Insurance Plans, the leading industry trade
group, has questioned whether some of the conditions on the Medicare
list are always preventable.

But Peter V. Lee, executive director of the Pacific Business Group on
Health, based in San Francisco, said occasional inequity was a price
worth paying to send the message that careless medicine will not be
tolerated. “I don’t worry about that 1-in-100 case that can’t be
avoided,” he said, “because the benefit of not paying for the 99 that
shouldn’t happen means a far greater focus on avoiding harm. What we
want is to encourage doctors and hospitals to get to zero.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/01/us/01mistakes.html?_r=1&scp=2&sq=medicare&st=cse&oref=slogin

Frank

Oct 1, 2008, 7:27:09 PM10/1/08

"Twittering One" <mourne...@aol.com> wrote in message

As usual, great posts.

Twittering One

Oct 2, 2008, 10:45:35 AM10/2/08
> http://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/01/us/01mistakes.html?_r=1&scp=2&sq=me...

This is a scary move by Medicare.

WHO pays the victim's bills when the hospital refuses, or will not
take responsibility?

marcia

Oct 2, 2008, 10:55:01 AM10/2/08

The hospital will have to eat it. If they refuse to participate in the
new legislation, they lose Medicare funding.

Watch for some slick tricks, like transferring "never event" patients
to other hospitals that *will* be reimbursed for treatment because the
"never event" didn't occur in their facility. Also, expect hospitals
to resort to "creative charting" to avoid admitting a "never event"
took place.

Doctors' comments and predictions are all over the medical
blogosphere. Check it out when you get the chance.

Twittering One

Oct 11, 2008, 12:16:42 PM10/11/08
> http://www.nydailynews.com/news/ny_crime/2008/09/09/2008-09-09_use_yo...- Hide quoted text -

I hope Verna testifies against you -- you stinking piece of QUID PRO
QUO shit.

Twittering One

Oct 14, 2008, 10:39:32 AM10/14/08
On Sep 12, 10:36 am, Twittering One <mournenwo...@aol.com> wrote:

"I was then and still am an unabashed defender of the welfare state,
which I regard as the most decent social arrangement yet devised."
~ Paul Krugman,
Nobel Prize, Economics, 2008

Quoted in "The Wall Street Journal"
10.14.08

Twittering One

Oct 14, 2008, 10:44:37 AM10/14/08
> >http://www.nydailynews.com/news/ny_crime/2008/09/09/2008-09-09_use_yo...Hide quoted text -

> "I was then and still am an unabashed defender of the welfare state,
> which I regard as the most decent social arrangement yet devised."
> ~ Paul Krugman,
> Nobel Prize, Economics, 2008
>
> Quoted in "The Wall Street Journal"

The New York Times
Nov 21, 2006

"City's [FORMER] Welfare Chief Concedes Need for Food Aid Is Growing."
~ Chan Sewell

New York City's top welfare official offered an unusually candid
assessment of shortcomings in social services yesterday, vividly
describing offices where caseworkers are overwhelmed by paperwork,
hindered by antiquated computers and not given adequate training.

Furthermore, the official, Verna Eggleston, acknowledged that the need
for food and nutrition assistance is growing in the city -- so much so
that some of her own employees are receiving food from charities
between paychecks.

Ms. Eggleston, commissioner of the Human Resources Administration,
which has about 16,000 employees and an annual budget of $7 billion,
made her remarks in testimony before Councilman Bill de Blasio of
Brooklyn at a hearing to discuss hunger in the city.

The United States Department of Agriculture reported last week that
the prevalence of ''food insecurity'' -- a federal term for hunger --
in New York State rose to an average of 10.4 percent in 2003-5 from
9.4 percent in 2000-2, though the level is still lower than the 11.9
percent reported in 1996-98.

About 1.1 million of the city's 8.1 million residents receive food
stamps, a federally subsidized benefit. Most observers believe that
several hundred thousand more are eligible for the benefit but do not
receive it -- in part because of bureaucratic barriers, like a
cumbersome application process.

Ms. Eggleston, acknowledging the criticisms, said that on Dec. 18, the
agency would begin accepting food stamp applications over the
Internet, in an experiment with two nonprofit groups, Food Change and
the New York City Coalition Against Hunger.

Under the experiment, financed by an Agriculture Department grant,
Food Change employees at several food pantries and other locations
will take applications and submit information electronically to the
city, obviating the need for a caseworker to manually enter the
information into a state-run computer system.

Ms. Eggleston also said her staff would conduct an outreach campaign
during the holiday season -- involving bus and subway advertising and
tens of thousands of copies of a new brochure -- to encourage those
eligible to apply for food stamps. City employees will also ''visit
high-volume food pantries and soup kitchens throughout the city'' and
help people fill out applications, she said.

Ms. Eggleston conceded that many food stamp recipients were barely
scraping by, saying that at her neighborhood supermarket she recently
overheard two older people talking about how their electronic benefits
transfer cards -- where the value of the food stamps is automatically
uploaded each month -- had run out well before the end of the month.

She added, ''I do think there's an increased demand, especially when I
know that many of my staff in my own agency utilize food kitchens in
between pay periods.''

She said the agency would soon revive a training academy to make sure
that caseworkers were familiar with updated procedures. She recalled
that one employee had disregarded a new policy even though a copy of
it ''was literally dangling above the worker's head.''

She said she had been shocked at conditions in one office. ''I was
livid,'' she said, describing ''workers with applications in stacked
cardboard boxes.'' She added, ''Even though it was a back-room
operation, even though a customer didn't go there, it didn't matter
because they lacked the tools to meet the commitments that this
administration had made.''

Ms. Eggleston also said, ''I've met workers who haven't had a computer
change in 20 years, where on the other extreme, I've met workers who
had a computer change every 11 months.''

The agency's chief of staff, David A. Hansell, testified that the city
would petition Governor-elect Eliot Spitzer, after he takes office in
January, and Congress, which is to take up reauthorization of the food
stamp program next year, to grant more leeway in how the program is
run.

Source Citation:Chan, Sewell. "City's Welfare Chief Concedes Need for
Food Aid Is Growing." The New York Times (Nov 21, 2006): B2(L).

Twittering One

Oct 14, 2008, 10:49:13 AM10/14/08
> > >http://www.nydailynews.com/news/ny_crime/2008/09/09/2008-09-09_use_yo...quoted text -
> Food Aid Is Growing." The New York Times (Nov 21, 2006): B2(L).- Hide quoted text -

A month later ...

The New York Post
MIKE'S LOSS ALSO HIS GAIN AS PAL QUITS

New York Post
(New York, NY) (Dec 28, 2006): 02

In a surprise move, Human Resources Administration chief Verna
Eggleston said yesterday that she's quitting the Bloomberg
administration to join the Bloomberg Family Foundation.

"Verna's done a great job and she wanted a change," Mayor Bloomberg
said.

"I thought it was a unique opportunity for my foundation. We're going
to focus on a number of social issues, as well as public-health
issues, and she will help us identify where the foundation can invest
money and change things."

The billionaire mayor had previously said that he planned to run his
own family foundation after leaving City Hall in 2010.

Asked if he had a sense of how much his foundation would give away,
Bloomberg replied: "Yes, I do."

He didn't elaborate.

Twittering One

Oct 14, 2008, 10:56:35 AM10/14/08
> He didn't elaborate.- Hide quoted text -

The BUCK bounces back to YOU Mayory Bloomberg ...

YOUR staff let me lose my home of 20 years ...

YOUR staff put me inside that SHITHOLE hospital ...

YOUR staff would nonswer my calls while I was locked inside that
shithole for almost 3 months ...

YOUR staff would not answer my calls and emails forever more, after I
was injured, but to write me in spring 2007 to say: "YOU ARE NO LONGER
IN OUR JURISDICTION."

Linda

Oct 14, 2008, 12:31:19 PM10/14/08
On Oct 14, 7:44 am, Twittering One <mournenwo...@aol.com> wrote:

> New York City's top welfare official offered an unusually candid
> assessment of shortcomings in social services yesterday, vividly
> describing offices where caseworkers are overwhelmed by paperwork,
> hindered by antiquated computers and not given adequate training.
>
> Furthermore, the official, Verna Eggleston, acknowledged that the need
> for food and nutrition assistance is growing in the city -- so much so
> that some of her own employees are receiving food from charities
> between paychecks.

Of course it's the greedy, parasitic, sociopathic civil service
employees who get the lions share of the food intended for the
indigent.

Here's how.

The law prohibits churches and charitiable organizations who receive
any type of money from any type of governmental agency from proffering
food assistance to anyone who doesn't possess a food voucher provided
them by the greedy, parasitic, sociopathic civil service employees
of municipal, county, state or federal government.

Thus, America's, greedy, parasitic, sociopathic civil service
employees can easily ensure that it's themselves and their crowd who
get the lions share of food proffered by such charities by their
writing out food vouchers for themselves and their friends---while
using myriad false pretexts to denying food vouchers to the 3.5
million displaced americans.

Personally, I refuse to waste time/energy/gasoline accompanying
Displaced Americans to food assistance programs receiving government
assistance---because, it disgusts me to observe the well-heeled
parasitic pathocrats walk away with humongous grocery bags spilling
over with nutrious food, while the Displaced Americans are handed no
more then 4 bags of Top Ramen.

Fortunately, not all churches and charities accept donations from
government---so I still accompany Displaced Americans to those
Churches and/or Charities who refuse donations from the government to
avert their being prohibited from providing Displaced Americans with
food.

A good rule of thumb is that a charity is only a charity if it's
operates solely on private donations.

Twittering One

Oct 14, 2008, 12:40:07 PM10/14/08

I'm no lawyer;
but I'm pretty sure anyone can get soup from the Coalition for the
Homeless truck.

Twittering One

Oct 14, 2008, 12:58:03 PM10/14/08
> Homeless truck.- Hide quoted text -

"A good rule of thumb is that a charity is only a charity if it's

operates solely on private donations."

~ Linda

"Chairities" are, in theory, protected from gov-funding pressure -- by
the the law's current prohibition against noprofits with tax status as
such from endorsing a candidate.

But I wonder what it must be like for a place such as Holy Apostles
Church, in NYC, if they receive Bloomberg Foundation funds to keep
their food-giving flowing in the Soup Kitchen.

Linda

Oct 14, 2008, 12:58:39 PM10/14/08

Yep!

The equivalent of one meal per Displaced American VS. humongous
grocery bags spilling over with nutritious food for all the well-
heeled, greedy, parasitic, civil servants who line up besides them
for a hand out.

Twittering One

Oct 14, 2008, 1:08:23 PM10/14/08
> their food-giving flowing in the Soup Kitchen.- Hide quoted text -

My former therpaist -- to whom I reported a lot of stuff -- runs the
Holy Apostles Soup Kitchen.

Please be alert to any penalization of the Holy Apostles Church Soup
Kitchen funding sources.

They feed the people Bloomberg's Administration does not feed.

Linda

Oct 14, 2008, 1:24:57 PM10/14/08

I live in the real world.

I'm outraged whenever I accompany a Displaced American to "Charity"
food banks where the voucherless Displaced Americans are being handed
4 bags of Top Ramen whilst, the well heeled, well dressed,
obviously employed individuals who line up with a food voucher in tote
are proffered humongous bags of groceries spilling over with
nutritious foods.

I console myself with my knowledge that approximately 1/3 of Displaced
Americans are former members of the pathocracy whom the pathocrats
cast off, ergo, approximately 1/3 of the pathocrats abusing food
banks for the indigent will wind up being amongst the Displaced
Americans handed 4 bags of Ramen---instead of the humongous bags of
groceries spilling over with nutritious foods their current status
entitles them to at the food banks for the INDIGENT.

Linda

Oct 14, 2008, 2:02:36 PM10/14/08

From what I've observed, the charities receiving government funding
appear to be allowed to proffer the equivalent of one meal to each
supplicant without the state/county agency issued food voucher---
probably to provide enuff sustenance to tide the voucherless
individuals over until they make their way to and fro the government
offices issuing the food voucher...

Thus, even if Holy Apostles is a recipient of government funding---
and the same rules operational in Nevada are also operational in NY as
well, then, -Holy Apostles can probably feed all the displaced
americans they want: but, one meal at a time---without any
penalization.

Frank

Oct 14, 2008, 9:49:43 PM10/14/08

"Linda" <Indomi...@netzero.com> wrote in message

Yep!

Idiot, if you really wished to help then get them vouchers. Oh my, you
say, they are not eligible?

That is why there are rules.

Twittering One

Oct 18, 2008, 11:54:28 AM10/18/08
On Oct 14, 9:49 pm, "Frank" <dawgf...@ten.hut> wrote:
> "Linda" <Indomitab...@netzero.com> wrote in message
> That is why there are rules.- Hide quoted text -

I'm getting confused by your statements here.

Holy Apostles receives 15% funding from government grants, as reported
below.

You dunt need NO VOUCHER to eat 5 meals in 2 hours there, 5 days/week.

http://www.holyapostlesnyc.org/soup_kitchen/audited_financial_statement.htm

Twittering One

Oct 18, 2008, 12:04:43 PM10/18/08
> http://www.holyapostlesnyc.org/soup_kitchen/audited_financial_stateme...- Hide quoted text -

The report claims that Foundations $666,086 (26% of their total
fudning) in 2007.

Holy Apostles Soup Kitchen in 2007 served an average of 1,163 people
each weekday, for A YEAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mayor Bloomberg's staff says he will spend $80,000,000 to get re-
elected a 3rd term.

That's A LOT OF MEALS!!!!!!!!!!!!

Twittering One

Oct 19, 2008, 2:39:07 PM10/19/08
> >http://www.nydailynews.com/news/ny_crime/2008/09/09/2008-09-09_use_yo...Hide quoted text -

> If you wont implement BASIC changes in 6 years of term office (eg,
> laundry facilities in homeless shelters that don't cost money people
> don't have, in order to wash their clothes, USE YOUR CONSIDERABLE
> FOUNDATION RESOURCES TO BRING ABOUT SOME BASIC CHANGES THAT ARE NOT
> HIGH CONCEPT.
>
> Give money to that shithole hosptial Bellevue to REDO their psych
> wards so the sounds don't ECHO like you are in the PIT OF HELL.
>
> NYU MC is spiffing their quarters up for LONGONE AESTHETIC
> UNIFICATION.
>
> Do something low concept for your stinking home town, BESIDES HAVE
> YOUR NYC STAFF LOCK A PERSON UP IN BELLEVUE AND GET INJURED WITH NERVE
> DAMAGE AND SPINE DAMAGE.

The mayor enlists his charities in bid for re-election ...

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/18/nyregion/18termlimits.html?_r=1&scp=2&sq=bloomberg&st=cse&oref=slogin

Gee, Mr Mayor:
If you're going to give gifts to the small needy charities and call
them up later, WHY NOT GIVE MORE THAN $50,000 OR $150,000?

Twittering One

Oct 21, 2008, 10:16:08 AM10/21/08
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
PR- 412-08
October 16, 2008

STATEMENT BY MAYOR MICHAEL R. BLOOMBERG CONGRATULATING THE NEW YORK
CITY HEALTH AND HOSPITALS CORPORATION ON RECEIVING PRESTIGIOUS
EISENBERG NATIONAL HEALTHCARE INNOVATION AWARD

"I would like to congratulate the New York City Health and Hospitals
Corporation, and HHC President Alan D. Aviles, for being selected by
the country's leading healthcare quality and regulatory agencies, the
National Quality Forum and The Joint Commission, as a recipient of the
prestigious John M. Eisenberg Patient Safety and Quality Innovation
award. HHC received this recognition for making its healthcare
performance data accessible and transparent to all patients and
consumers via its public website, which also makes it easy to see how
the hospitals and nursing homes in our system meet and often exceed
state and national benchmarks.

"By voluntarily posting data that no other hospital system shares with
the public, HHC has demonstrated its willingness to be accountable for
the care delivered to New Yorkers and a commitment that it will
promote a culture of continuous improvement.

"I am proud of the extensive transformation our public hospital system
has achieved. This recognition validates HHC's growing role as a
national model of quality, affordable and accessible healthcare."

http://www.nyc.gov/portal/site/nycgov/menuitem.c0935b9a57bb4ef3daf2f1c701c789a0/index.jsp?pageID=mayor_press_release&catID=1194&doc_name=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nyc.gov%2Fhtml%2Fom%2Fhtml%2F2008b%2Fpr412-08.html&cc=unused1978&rc=1194&ndi=1

Linda

Oct 21, 2008, 10:41:38 AM10/21/08

Yet!

If government employees keep abusing charity food banks, you will.

Twittering One

Oct 21, 2008, 10:47:07 AM10/21/08
On Oct 21, 10:16 am, Twittering One <mournenwo...@aol.com> wrote:
> FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
> PR- 412-08
> October 16, 2008
>
> STATEMENT BY MAYOR MICHAEL R. BLOOMBERG CONGRATULATING THE NEW YORK
> CITY HEALTH AND HOSPITALS CORPORATION ON RECEIVING PRESTIGIOUS
> EISENBERG NATIONAL HEALTHCARE INNOVATION AWARD
>
> "I would like to congratulate the New York City Health and Hospitals
> Corporation, and HHC President Alan D. Aviles, for being selected by
> the country's leading healthcare quality and regulatory agencies, the
> National Quality Forum and The Joint Commission, as a recipient of the
> prestigious John M. Eisenberg Patient Safety and Quality Innovation
> award.  HHC received this recognition for making its healthcare
> performance data accessible and transparent to all patients and
> consumers via its public website, which also makes it easy to see how
> the hospitals and nursing homes in our system meet and often exceed
> state and national benchmarks.
>
> "By voluntarily posting data that no other hospital system shares with
> the public, HHC has demonstrated its willingness to be accountable for
> the care delivered to New Yorkers and a commitment that it will
> promote a culture of continuous improvement.
>
> "I am proud of the extensive transformation our public hospital system
> has achieved.  This recognition validates HHC's growing role as a
> national model of quality, affordable and accessible healthcare."
>
> http://www.nyc.gov/portal/site/nycgov/menuitem.c0935b9a57bb4ef3daf2f1...

Testimony of Public Advocate
Betsy Gotbaum:
New York City Council Public Hearing on Term Limits

Public Advocate Betsy Gotbaum said, “I was here yesterday, and I
watched from home late into the night. It’s clear that there is some
confusion. This is NOT about term limits, it’s not about the job Mayor
Bloomberg has done, and it’s also not about continuity during a
financial crisis.

It’s about a fundamental change in how New York City is governed.

It’s also clear that there is a disagreement about process. While I
can only support extending or changing term limits through a
referendum, at the very least, the City Council must prolong any vote
until public hearings can be held in all five boroughs.

There is no reason to rush a vote on October 23rd when we could easily
wait until more New Yorkers have had the chance to make their voices
heard. We heard the Corporation Counsel admit yesterday that this can
be done in a referendum via special election in early 2009, which will
probably occur anyway because of council vacancies.

I want you to listen very carefully to what Michael Bloomberg said
when he vetoed the last Council bill seeking to change term limits.

Mayor Bloomberg said, “This bill would send an unfortunate message
about the impact and importance of their votes and set a perilous
precedent for future leaders of this city…I believe it is simply
inappropriate for those members elected in 1997, who were aware of the
rules under which they were elected, to seek to change those rules in
a manner that may work to their own advantage.”

And he was exactly right.

I am against term limits, and I would work hard to overturn them, but
only by a referendum. What matters here is that New Yorkers have twice
voted for them. Over two million people in all went to their polling
sites and performed their civic duty. To change term limits by
anything other than a referendum would amount to telling 2 million
people that their votes don’t matter, that they don’t count, kind of
like the 2000 presidential election. And we all see where that got
us.

This remains a decision for the people - not for self-serving
incumbents, not for newspaper editorial boards and not for a few
wealthy and powerful individuals.

I have been proud to serve with all of you who came in at a time of
real crisis. We not only survived, but as a result of our leadership
the city has thrived. Let’s all be proud of ourselves by doing the
right thing and voting down the Mayor’s bill, Intro 845-A.”

http://pubadvocate.nyc.gov/policy/10.17.08TermLimits.html

Twittering One

Oct 21, 2008, 1:50:37 PM10/21/08
> http://pubadvocate.nyc.gov/policy/10.17.08TermLimits.html- Hide quoted text -

What do you think about term limits? Post now!

Mark Green, former NYC Public Advocate,
Says ...

Mark Green said, "I believe that Mike Bloomberg is a good man who is
being misled by ambition into doing something that is profoundly
unethical.

First, it's profoundly unethical to run for office knowing the term
limits rules, to agree that they're essential for 7 1/2 years, to say
that it would be "disgraceful" to change them within a ter in office
-- and then at the 11th hour to engage in a 180 degree about-face
because you want to cling to office.

Second, it's profoundly unethical to veto voters by railroading a law
through the council in three weeks. It can take three years to
regulate horse carriages but only three weeks to regulate the
electoral rules of New York City? It's sheer political chutzpah for
the mayor to stall for 9 months appointing a charter commission to put
a referendum on the ballot and then say that deadlines have passed so
only a law will do. (There is an alternative -- a voter referendum
prospectively, like the 22nd constitutional amendment did.)

Third, it's profoundly unethical and obviously self-dealing to prefer
that he decision-makers here be incumbents trying to keep their jobs
and pay-checks rather than voters themselves.

And fourth, it's profoundly unethical to win over the important
support of Ron Lauder by promising him the public benefit of a seat on
a future charter commission, as Lauder himself has reported. If a
mayor had promised money for support, we'd all understand how corrupt
that would be.

I believe that any change should require that the decision-makers
should be voters weighing the public interest rather than political
insiders weighing their self-interest. So I support the de Blasio-
Weprin effort to put a referendum on the ballot in early 2009. I'm
proud to be a part of a collation based on the theme -- Let the Voters
Decide!"

http://www.publicadvocatescorner.com/

Twittering One

Oct 22, 2008, 10:51:27 AM10/22/08
> >http://pubadvocate.nyc.gov/policy/10.17.08TermLimits.html-Hide quoted text -
> http://www.publicadvocatescorner.com/- Hide quoted text -

MIKE & CHRIS MADE THREATS OVER TERM LIMITS: FOES

New York Post (New York, NY)

(Oct 20, 2008): p02. (156 words)

The term-limits battle heated up yesterday as opponents accused Mayor
Bloomberg and City Council Speaker Christine Quinn of threatening
undecided council members.

"I've heard from some council people that they have been pressured,
they have been threatened. I am obviously very disturbed by that,"
said city Comptroller Bill Thompson, who plans to run for mayor next
year .

Councilmembers Bill de Blasio and Letitia James, both Brooklyn
Democrats, leveled the same charges.

"People were being told if you do the wrong thing, there will be
negative ramifications," de Blasio said.

Spokesmen for Bloomberg and Quinn denied the allegations.

Bloomberg also drew barbs from Rep. Anthony Weiner, another mayoral
contender. "The mayor lied and that is not something that an honorable
man does," Weiner said.

Council support for the plan to allow third terms is dropping, with a
source saying it has fewer than 30 votes, with 26 votes needed to
pass.

Additional reporting by Reuven Fenton

Twittering One

Oct 22, 2008, 10:53:39 AM10/22/08
> > >http://pubadvocate.nyc.gov/policy/10.17.08TermLimits.html-Hidequoted text -
> >http://www.publicadvocatescorner.com/-Hide quoted text -

> MIKE & CHRIS MADE THREATS OVER TERM LIMITS: FOES
>
> New York Post (New York, NY)
> (Oct 20, 2008): p02. (156 words)
>
> The term-limits battle heated up yesterday as opponents accused Mayor
> Bloomberg and City Council Speaker Christine Quinn of threatening
> undecided council members.
>
> "I've heard from some council people that they have been pressured,
> they have been threatened. I am obviously very disturbed by that,"
> said city Comptroller Bill Thompson, who plans to run for mayor next
> year .
>
> Councilmembers Bill de Blasio and Letitia James, both Brooklyn
> Democrats, leveled the same charges.
>
> "People were being told if you do the wrong thing, there will be
> negative ramifications," de Blasio said.
>
> Spokesmen for Bloomberg and Quinn denied the allegations.
>
> Bloomberg also drew barbs from Rep. Anthony Weiner, another mayoral
> contender. "The mayor lied and that is not something that an honorable
> man does," Weiner said.
>
> Council support for the plan to allow third terms is dropping, with a
> source saying it has fewer than 30 votes, with 26 votes needed to
> pass.
>
> Additional reporting by Reuven Fenton- Hide quoted text -

Criticism of Bloomberg Over Nonprofits' Support.
The New York Times Oct 20, 2008
pA27(L). (807 words)

Several of New York City's top political figures on Sunday denounced
Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg's administration in unusually harsh terms
for asking nonprofit groups to support legislation that would allow
Mr. Bloomberg to seek a third term in office.

Many of the organizations contacted by the administration rely on Mr.
Bloomberg, a billionaire, for tens of thousands of dollars a year in
private donations and millions in city contracts, making it difficult
to turn down the request, these leaders said.

''It is an abuse of power, and it must stop,'' said the city's top
financial watchdog, the New York City comptroller, William C. Thompson
Jr., who may run for mayor next year.

Representative Anthony D. Weiner, another likely candidate for mayor,
said that ''if you rely on the mayor or the administration to fund
your organization, saying no when the mayor calls is not an option.''

Mr. Bloomberg's tactic, he said, ''walks right up to the line of
coercion, and it's very corrosive.''

The New York Times reported on Saturday that the mayor and his top
deputies had pressed social service, arts and neighborhood groups that
receive donations from Mr. Bloomberg to express support for his third-
term bid by testifying during public hearings and by personally
appealing to undecided members of the City Council.

The Council will vote as early as this week on a bill that would amend
the city's term limits law, allowing Mr. Bloomberg and dozens of
elected officials to serve 12 years in office, rather than the current
eight. New Yorkers backed the eight-year limit in two citywide
referendums in the 1990s, but Mr. Bloomberg is seeking to rewrite the
law through legislation, not a public vote, prompting intense
opposition.

During public hearings in the Council last week, leaders from five
groups that rely on Mr. Bloomberg's donations -- the Doe Fund, the
Harlem Children's Zone, the Public Art Fund, the Alliance of Resident
Theaters and the St. Nicholas Neighborhood Preservation Corporation --
testified on behalf of the bill, praising the mayor for his steady
leadership.

But none of the leaders disclosed that their groups received money
from Mr. Bloomberg. (For example, Harlem Children's Zone, which
provides services for children and families, has accepted more than
$500,000 from Mr. Bloomberg since he was elected, and receives
millions in city funds.)

Jason Post, a spokesman for the mayor, said, ''We are building support
for our bill, like we do for any other bill the administration
introduces, but we are doing it appropriately.''

Senior officials in the Bloomberg administration contend that the
worldwide financial crisis -- with its potentially devastating impact
on New York City's economy -- warrants changing the term limits law so
voters can re-elect a mayor with proven leadership and business
skills.

But the groups whose support the mayor is seeking have not been
offered a quid pro quo or been threatened, these aides said. A person
familiar with the process said that the administration ''was trying to
navigate these tricky relationships as appropriately as possible.''

The bill needs 26 votes to pass. So far, 14 members support it, 19
oppose it and 18 have taken no position, according to a tally by The
Times.

On Sunday, the mayor's aides organized a press conference in which
nearly a dozen union leaders endorsed the legislation to extend term
limits. Fifteen minutes before the event began, the union leaders met
inside City Hall with Edward Skyler, the deputy mayor for operations,
to discuss what they would say, according to people briefed on the
matter.

When they emerged to speak to reporters, the labor officials sounded
strikingly similar themes, at times using the same words. They said
that changing term limits would give New York voters more choice at
the ballot box, that the city's economy faced dire threats, and that
their support for changing term limits was not an endorsement of Mr.
Bloomberg.

''This is not an endorsement of any one individual candidate but is an
endorsement of an idea -- to broaden the field so the people may have
a choice facing these very difficult economic times,'' said Gary La
Barbera, president of Teamsters Local 282.

Mr. Bloomberg's critics argue that changing term limits will not
expand choice because it will all but guarantee his re-election, given
his willingness, in two previous campaigns, to spend $80 million to
win the office.

Gene Russianoff, a senior lawyer for the New York Public Interest
Research Group, said that asking groups who receive city money to
support the term limits bill ''looks like an administration
desperately abusing its power to stay in office. It just does not pass
the smell test.''

Betsy Gotbaum, New York City's public advocate, called the tactic
''wrong.'' She added, ''You have the right to give all the money you
want, but because you give support, you shouldn't have to get
support.''

Twittering One

Oct 22, 2008, 10:55:39 AM10/22/08
> > >http://www.publicadvocatescorner.com/-Hidequoted text -
> During public ...
>
> read more »- Hide quoted text -

Billionaires Opposing Bloomberg
Fernanda Santos and Michael Barbaro

The New York Times
Oct 21, 2008): pA21(L). (1001 words)

A pair of billionaires on Monday threatened to imperil Mayor Michael
R. Bloomberg's bid to revise the city's term limits law, just days
before a possible vote on the measure by the City Council.

Tom Golisano, the owner of the Buffalo Sabres and a political and
philanthropic force in western New York, said on Monday that he would
finance an advertising campaign to fight Mr. Bloomberg's plan, which
would allow the mayor, council members and other city officials to
seek another four-year term next fall.

Meanwhile, the cosmetics heir Ronald S. Lauder, whose support Mr.
Bloomberg has carefully cultivated, signaled in an interview that he
would vigorously oppose allowing council members now serving their
first term to remain in office for three terms. It was his finances
and advocacy that led to the establishment of term limits, in 1993 and
1996 referendums.

Mr. Lauder's position, and the implied threat behind it, could make it
harder for the Council speaker, Christine C. Quinn, to round up enough
votes to change the law.

In exchange for his support of the mayor's plan, which would apply to
all officials elected citywide and to council members, Mr. Bloomberg
has promised Mr. Lauder a seat on a charter revision commission that
would consider the question of term limits. Mr. Lauder said he would
push to return the limits to two terms in a subsequent referendum,
likely in 2010.

That would mean that any freshmen council members who support Mr.
Bloomberg's proposal to extend term limits could not take advantage of
it themselves and run for a third term.

''I don't think they should be under the illusion that somebody can
make a provision that gives them an automatic third term,'' Mr. Lauder
said of the freshmen council members. ''I think they should vote for
the extension regardless.''

The votes of freshman members could be critical in deciding the
outcome of the mayor's legislation, and aides to Ms. Quinn have been
reassuring wavering freshmen that they will be given an exception if
term limits are restored to two terms later. Mr. Lauder's remarks cast
doubt on that assurance, though.

The Council could vote as early as Thursday on the mayor's bill, but
as of Monday no vote had been scheduled.

Supporters of the mayor's plan played down the lack of a scheduled
vote, saying the measure could still be added to the agenda, while
opponents read it as an indication that the mayor has not gathered
sufficient votes for passage.

As lobbying continued on both sides Monday, Mr. Golisano held a news
conference in Lower Manhattan to announce his campaign against the
legislation, with newspaper ads that he said would begin Wednesday.

Mr. Golisano, whose net worth is estimated at $1.6 billion, refused to
specify how much he planned to spend on the campaign, which will
include newspaper, radio and television ads. He said, however, that he
was ready to push beyond that and use part of his fortune to finance
the political campaigns next year of Council candidates who challenge
incumbents who voted for the mayor's bill.

He also did not rule out helping to pay for a legal challenge to Mr.
Bloomberg's legislation, if it is approved. Mr. Golisano praised the
mayor but insisted that term limits must be decided by the voters.

''It makes sense for supporters to want him back,'' Mr. Golisano said
of Mr. Bloomberg. ''On the other hand, the people have spoken twice --
1993 and 1996 -- through public referendum.''

He added: ''They do want term limits for City Council and mayor. Now
is there anything more democratic than the people making this
decision? Now the City Council wants to violate the will of the
people.''

Mr. Golisano said that he had not discussed the details of his
campaign with Mr. Bloomberg, Ms. Quinn or any of their aides, and that
it would operate independently from an effort run by the union-backed
Working Families Party, which is mobilizing voters to persuade their
council members to vote down the mayor's bill.

Speaking at a public event in Queens, Mr. Bloomberg sounded at once
welcoming and dismissive of Mr. Golisano's efforts, saying: ''If he
spends a lot of money in New York City, I think it's wonderful. The
advertising business isn't that good at the moment.''

Later, a spokesman for the mayor declined to comment on Mr. Lauder's
position.

The announcements capped another busy day of developments on a
divisive debate over whether the global economic crisis that threatens
to upend the city's finances is enough to justify overturning two
popular referendums.

Inside City Hall, the Council's Democratic caucus, comprising 48 of
the body's 51 members, held one of its shortest recent meetings and
disbanded without picking a definite date to vote on the mayor's bill.
Speaker Quinn, who recently announced her support of Mr. Bloomberg's
plan to extend term limits, said only that she was not sure when the
vote would be held, according to those in attendance.

On the steps of City Hall, Patrick J. Lynch, president of the
Patrolmen's Benevolent Association, which represents the city's
uniformed police officers, announced the group's endorsement of the
mayor's legislation, saying that Mr. Bloomberg had ''come to our aid''
on a variety of urgent issues, like equipping officers with new
bulletproof vests.

''We have a mantra of supporting those who supported us in the past,''
Mr. Lynch said.

The association, which recently reached a contract agreement with the
Bloomberg administration that would give its members annual 4 percent
raises over four years, was the latest municipal workers' union to
throw its support behind the mayor's plan.

At the urging of Mr. Bloomberg's aides, the Uniformed Sanitationmen's
Association, the Uniformed Fire Officers Association and the
Detectives' Endowment Association, among others, have announced their
support for the mayor's plan.

On the other side, S.E.I.U. 1199, the largest health care workers'
union in the state, came out against Mr. Bloomberg's proposal, saying
term limits should be changed only through a referendum.

Twittering One

Oct 22, 2008, 10:59:04 AM10/22/08
On Oct 21, 10:16 am, Twittering One <mournenwo...@aol.com> wrote:
> FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
> PR- 412-08
> October 16, 2008
>
> STATEMENT BY MAYOR MICHAEL R. BLOOMBERG CONGRATULATING THE NEW YORK
> CITY HEALTH AND HOSPITALS CORPORATION ON RECEIVING PRESTIGIOUS
> EISENBERG NATIONAL HEALTHCARE INNOVATION AWARD
>
> "I would like to congratulate the New York City Health and Hospitals
> Corporation, and HHC President Alan D. Aviles, for being selected by
> the country's leading healthcare quality and regulatory agencies, the
> National Quality Forum and The Joint Commission, as a recipient of the
> prestigious John M. Eisenberg Patient Safety and Quality Innovation
> award.  HHC received this recognition for making its healthcare
> performance data accessible and transparent to all patients and
> consumers via its public website, which also makes it easy to see how
> the hospitals and nursing homes in our system meet and often exceed
> state and national benchmarks.
>
> "By voluntarily posting data that no other hospital system shares with
> the public, HHC has demonstrated its willingness to be accountable for
> the care delivered to New Yorkers and a commitment that it will
> promote a culture of continuous improvement.
>
> "I am proud of the extensive transformation our public hospital system
> has achieved.  This recognition validates HHC's growing role as a
> national model of quality, affordable and accessible healthcare."
>
> http://www.nyc.gov/portal/site/nycgov/menuitem.c0935b9a57bb4ef3daf2f1...

What did they get the award for --
Releasing the Esmin Green death video, from Kings County Hospital?

Or was that death a fake set up, and never happened?

Twittering One

Oct 22, 2008, 12:26:25 PM10/22/08
"On the steps of City Hall, Patrick J. Lynch, president of the
Patrolmen's Benevolent Association, which represents the city's
uniformed police officers, announced the group's endorsement of the
mayor's legislation, saying that Mr. Bloomberg had ''come to our
aid''
on a variety of urgent issues, like equipping officers with new
bulletproof vests."
~ New York Times

Now I am REALLY confused.

Betsy Gotbam got the NYPD their bulletproof vests; and SHE supports a
voters' referendum before re-election laws are changed.

Twittering One

Oct 24, 2008, 1:09:20 PM10/24/08
On Oct 21, 10:16 am, Twittering One <mournenwo...@aol.com> wrote:
> FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
> PR- 412-08
> October 16, 2008
>
> STATEMENT BY MAYOR MICHAEL R. BLOOMBERG CONGRATULATING THE NEW YORK
> CITY HEALTH AND HOSPITALS CORPORATION ON RECEIVING PRESTIGIOUS
> EISENBERG NATIONAL HEALTHCARE INNOVATION AWARD
>
> "I would like to congratulate the New York City Health and Hospitals
> Corporation, and HHC President Alan D. Aviles, for being selected by
> the country's leading healthcare quality and regulatory agencies, the
> National Quality Forum and The Joint Commission, as a recipient of the
> prestigious John M. Eisenberg Patient Safety and Quality Innovation
> award.  HHC received this recognition for making its healthcare
> performance data accessible and transparent to all patients and
> consumers via its public website, which also makes it easy to see how
> the hospitals and nursing homes in our system meet and often exceed
> state and national benchmarks.
>
> "By voluntarily posting data that no other hospital system shares with
> the public, HHC has demonstrated its willingness to be accountable for
> the care delivered to New Yorkers and a commitment that it will
> promote a culture of continuous improvement.
>
> "I am proud of the extensive transformation our public hospital system
> has achieved.  This recognition validates HHC's growing role as a
> national model of quality, affordable and accessible healthcare."
>
> http://www.nyc.gov/portal/site/nycgov/menuitem.c0935b9a57bb4ef3daf2f1...

Well Mr. Bloomberg, you certainly bent City Council toward yuor point
of view. Congrats for being so effective.

Twittering One

Oct 28, 2008, 11:35:46 AM10/28/08
> Or was that death a fake set up, and never happened?- Hide quoted text -

You like your data; but's it's contaminated.

Twittering One

Oct 30, 2008, 2:20:41 PM10/30/08
"This is courtesy of Mayor Bloomberg," the NYPD officer said to me, as
he was putting me in a cell, with handcuffs restraining my hands
behind me -- facing 30 more hours in downtown city jail -- for
sleeping on the street, this past Friday night.

I don't think I want to talk to you anymore.

Twittering One

Oct 30, 2008, 5:29:17 PM10/30/08

I hope that when I was in your NYC Correctional facility, eg, JAIL --
someone heard what I said.

SINCE I JUST LEARNED THAT ALL CALLS BY INMATES IN NYC JAILS MAY HAVE
THEIR TELEPHONE CALLS MONITORED OR TAPED. (without warning, unless
they've read the fine print on an obscure gov website, like I did
today).

Frank

Oct 30, 2008, 11:39:22 PM10/30/08

"Twittering One" <mourne...@aol.com> wrote in message

That is true in any jail or prison in the USA. They are taped, period.
So.......if you want to have fun, dial only one number to quiet the
background noise and speak your mind freely knowing someone will have to
listed to it, all of it.

marcia

Oct 31, 2008, 9:35:52 AM10/31/08

That's been true forever which, if you were truly a criminal, you
would already know. Where are you supposed to sleep at night?

Twittering One

Nov 1, 2008, 1:03:36 PM11/1/08
> would already know. Where are you supposed to sleep at night?- Hide quoted text -

Well, I did not know that.

And I misread the information, and it did not bein June 2008; rather,
only then, were clergy and legal counsel allowed to opt for
confidential communication.

Twittering One

Nov 1, 2008, 2:31:22 PM11/1/08
> confidential communication.- Hide quoted text -

Gee, I misread again; must be that nasty flu I caught from 30 hours of
jail and NO SOAP.

"Privileged calls from inmates can be exempt from monitoring and
recording

Effective June 16, 2008, all inmate telephone calls may be monitored
or recorded. Attorneys, physicians/clinicians and clergy may request
that their numbers be placed on the Do Not Record list."

http://www.nyc.gov/html/doc/html/home/home.shtml

Frank

Nov 2, 2008, 1:38:40 AM11/2/08

On Nov 1, 1:03 pm, Twittering One <mournenwo...@aol.com> wrote:

Gee, I misread again; must be that nasty flu I caught from 30 hours of
jail and NO SOAP.

It is illegal not to provide soap. The prisons take great pains to
reduce diseases. If what you said were true then seek out legal counsel.
You have a case.

Twittering One

Nov 3, 2008, 2:35:58 PM11/3/08
On Nov 2, 1:38 am, "Frank" <dawgf...@ten.hut> wrote:
> "Twittering One" <mournenwo...@aol.com> wrote in message

It wasn't prison; it was a police custody holding cell in NYC Central
Booking, before Criminal Court.

And there was NO SOAP in the 3 Central Booking holding cells within
which I was placed.

Frank

Nov 4, 2008, 1:21:53 AM11/4/08

"Twittering One" <mourne...@aol.com> wrote in message

They still are required to supply it, especially if there is a toilet in
the holding cell. If you see a Judge you might want to quietly make your
case there. Their biggest concerns are Staph infections. It should be
yours as well ask for a court appointed attorney.

Linda

Nov 4, 2008, 9:51:58 AM11/4/08

I saw he was booed while signing a law allowing for his reelection.

Twittering One

Nov 4, 2008, 10:24:04 AM11/4/08
On Nov 4, 1:21 am, "Frank" <dawgf...@ten.hut> wrote:
> "Twittering One" <mournenwo...@aol.com> wrote in message

> On Nov 2, 1:38 am, "Frank" <dawgf...@ten.hut> wrote:
>
> > "Twittering One" <mournenwo...@aol.com> wrote in message

> > On Nov 1, 1:03 pm, Twittering One <mournenwo...@aol.com> wrote:
>
> > Gee, I misread again; must be that nasty flu I caught from 30 hours of
> > jail and NO SOAP.
> > It is illegal not to provide soap. The prisons take great pains to
> > reduce diseases. If what you said were true then seek out legal
> > counsel.
> > You have a case.
>
> It wasn't prison; it was a police custody holding cell in NYC Central
> Booking, before Criminal Court.
>
> And there was NO SOAP in the 3 Central Booking holding cells within
> which I was placed.
> They still are required to supply it, especially if there is a toilet in
> the holding cell. If you see a Judge you might want to quietly make your
> case there. Their biggest concerns are Staph infections. It should be
> yours as well ask for a court appointed attorney.

Maybe is soap only upon request;
and if you don't know to request, it's your own fault.

Frank

Nov 4, 2008, 10:59:37 PM11/4/08

"Twittering One" <mourne...@aol.com> wrote in message

No, it is usually supplied along with the signs recommending/cautioning
that it must be used. It is very important for the safety of visitors
and inmates. (also required of the guards to wash up with huge warning
signs) Infections spread easily and can be deadly.

Twittering One

Nov 21, 2008, 1:24:05 PM11/21/08
www.citylaw.org/OATH/07-Cases/07-248.pdf

(search terms: Bellevue, Hospital, abuse)

Bellevue brought the assault charges against an alledged abuser on
Bellevue staff, but did not present CLOSING ARGUMENTS in court. The
judge therefore dismissed the case, citing insuffiencient evidence.

This assault occured in March 2006, approximately 2 weeks before I was
locked up in that shithole, with inrresponsible, unliscensed NYU MC
medical staff overseeing my care and safety.

Health and Hospitals Corp. (Bellevue Hospital Center) v. Little

OATH Index No. 248/07 (Jan. 19, 2007)

Psychiatric/social health technician charged with using excessive
force on patient. ALJ found petitioner’s evidence insufficient to
make out a prima facie case that respondent struck the patient and
recommended that the charge be dismissed.
NEW YORK CITY OFFICE OF
ADMINISTRATIVE TRIALS AND HEARINGS
In the Matter of
HEALTH AND HOSPITALS CORPORATION
(BELLEVUE HOSPITAL CENTER)
Petitioner
- against -
MARCUS LITTLE
Respondent
REPORT AND RECOMMENDATION
JOHN B. SPOONER, Administrative Law Judge
This disciplinary proceeding was referred to me pursuant to section
7.5 of the Personnel Rules and Regulations of the Health and Hospitals
Corporation. Petitioner, the Health and Hospitals Corporation,
Bellevue Hospital Center, charged respondent Marcus Little, a
psychiatric/social health technician, with using excessive force on a
patient.

A hearing on the charges was conducted before me on September 7 and
November 16, 2006. Petitioner presented the testimony of an associate
director of nursing and an assistant director of nursing, who
collected three eyewitness statements that respondent struck the
patient, and of a nursing assistant, who denied seeing respondent use
any excessive force. Respondent himself denied hitting the patient and
called three other eyewitnesses who also denied that he used excessive
force.

A written closing argument was submitted by respondent’s attorney, on
November 29, 2006, while petitioner offered no closing argument.

Twittering One

Nov 21, 2008, 1:28:16 PM11/21/08

Twittering One

Nov 21, 2008, 4:18:47 PM11/21/08
> www.citylaw.org/OATH/07_Cases/07-248.pdf- Hide quoted text -

I want them prosecuted for what they did to me, knowingly.

Frank

Nov 21, 2008, 8:28:10 PM11/21/08

www.citylaw.org/OATH/07-Cases/07-248.pdf

(search terms: Bellevue, Hospital, abuse)

Bellevue brought the assault charges against an alledged abuser on
Bellevue staff, but did not present CLOSING ARGUMENTS in court. The
judge therefore dismissed the case, citing insuffiencient evidence.

It would appear that they settled out of court. :(

Frank

Nov 21, 2008, 8:36:58 PM11/21/08

"Twittering One" <mourne...@aol.com> wrote in message

For that to happen you would need to apply for a state/city sponsored
attorney, or a free legal clinic attorney, the information fresh, and
better if it is recent. Some might want to declare you and not capable
of rational thought although it would appear quite to the contrary based
on your posts.

Get a business card from a free legal clinic and or free legal aid from
the city, keep it with you at all times and maybe squirrel away copies
in a safe place.

Study the law a bit about health practices, your rights while
incarcerated, and so on, keep a list or make notes in your head and get
your free one call and use it for legal help.

While I wouldn't want to recommend this to anyone, if you know someone
who has had extended jail or prison time and they seem safe enough to
you then ask them about typical rights. They generally know enough to
provide leads and maybe even the law itself in your area.

It is not unusual to get 50,000 dollars just for constantly being too
cold or hot.while incarcerated.

MothWrangler

Nov 22, 2008, 12:42:44 AM11/22/08
Frank wrote:

Since evidence can't be offered during closing arguments, the fact that
no closing argument was offered would have been irrelevant if the basis
of a judge's dismissal was "insufficient evidence."

--
Proud member since 2007, WWWSC #1
Ann/Emma Anne #4

Frank

Nov 22, 2008, 1:36:54 AM11/22/08

"MothWrangler" <mothwr...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Not true, the judge may only judge on the evidence supplied to them.
They cannot conjure up evidence even if it seems obvious to you and me.
The closing arguments ties into one package the summation of the
arguments presented in court, en total. The Judge many not provide those
arguments without showing prejudice which would cause the case to be
thrown out on appeal.

Twittering One

Nov 22, 2008, 11:54:19 AM11/22/08
On Nov 22, 12:42 am, MothWrangler <mothwrang...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Frank wrote:
> > "Twittering One" <mournenwo...@aol.com> wrote in message

Just goes to show that Bellevue and NYC HHC do not conduct a proper
and effective investigation that will stand up in court; although the
judge wrote, that indeed, the patient was struck (even if injuries
were, as he wrote, apparently "Minor.'

The judge did not take into account invisible injuries.

Twittering One

Nov 22, 2008, 11:55:13 AM11/22/08
On Nov 22, 12:42 am, MothWrangler <mothwrang...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Frank wrote:
> > "Twittering One" <mournenwo...@aol.com> wrote in message

It appears to the the Head Nurse WANTED to conduct an investigation,
and got little help, or no procedural support from HHC and Bellevue,
or medical staff.

Twittering One

Nov 22, 2008, 12:09:03 PM11/22/08
On Nov 22, 1:36 am, "Frank" <dawgf...@ten.hut> wrote:
> "MothWrangler" <mothwrang...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> > Frank wrote:
>
> >> "Twittering One" <mournenwo...@aol.com> wrote in message

> >>www.citylaw.org/OATH/07-Cases/07-248.pdf
>
> >> (search terms: Bellevue, Hospital, abuse)
>
> >> Bellevue brought the assault charges against an alledged abuser on
> >> Bellevue staff, but did not present CLOSING ARGUMENTS in court. The
> >> judge therefore dismissed the case, citing insuffiencient evidence.
> >> ===================================================
> >> It would appear that they settled out of court. :(
>
> > Since evidence can't be offered during closing arguments, the fact
> > that no closing argument was offered would have been irrelevant if the
> > basis of a judge's dismissal was "insufficient evidence."
>
> Not true, the judge may only judge on the evidence supplied to them.
> They cannot conjure up evidence even if it seems obvious to you and me.
> The closing arguments ties into one package the summation of the
> arguments presented in court, en total. The Judge many not provide those
> arguments without showing prejudice which would cause the case to be
> thrown out on appeal.- Hide quoted text -

WHY would any nurse say s/he saw staff kick or hit a patient?

One can understand why other staff would say, "I saw nothing."

Twittering One

Nov 22, 2008, 12:13:09 PM11/22/08
> >www.citylaw.org/OATH/07_Cases/07-248.pdf-Hide quoted text -

> I want them prosecuted for what they did to me, knowingly.- Hide quoted text -

Bellevue fesidents, nurses, and technicians (who restrain patients)
are represented legally by powerful unions.

These are POLITICAL issues endangering patients as well as the ability
of former patients to initiate appropriate legal action following
injury and/or harm.

Twittering One

Nov 22, 2008, 12:17:29 PM11/22/08
> > >www.citylaw.org/OATH/07_Cases/07-248.pdf-Hidequoted text -

> > I want them prosecuted for what they did to me, knowingly.- Hide quoted text -

> Bellevue fesidents, nurses, and technicians (who restrain patients)
> are represented legally by powerful unions.
>
> These are POLITICAL issues endangering patients as well as the ability
> of former patients to initiate appropriate legal action following
> injury and/or harm.- Hide quoted text -

I find it very disturbing that one of the nurses said the abused
patient was "psychotic," thereby dismissing his testimony.

Being in Bellevue, undergong those experiences, will make any normal
person appear psychotic.

That is abject fear.

Frank

Nov 22, 2008, 1:20:32 PM11/22/08

"Twittering One" <mourne...@aol.com> wrote in message

Becaused they really cared? Had values or morals?

One can understand why other staff would say, "I saw nothing."

Yes, unfortunately since they still have to work with their cohorts, but
then again they would fall under the squealers law and can use that for
their advantage for either long term employment of early retirement.

Twittering One

Dec 2, 2008, 10:08:01 AM12/2/08
PLAX IN COURT AS MIKE TAKES SHOTS
DEMANDS JAIL TIME, RIPS GIANTS
& HOSP IN COVERUP 'OUTRAGE'

"The Giants, the NFL and the prestigious New York-Cornell Hospital
shamefully shielded Super Bowl hero Plaxico Burress from cops after he
shot himself in the leg with an illegal handgun at a nightclub, Mayor
Bloomberg and the NYPD fumed yesterday."
~ NY Post

http://www.nypost.com/seven/12022008/news/regionalnews/plax_in_court_as_mike_takes_shots_141835.htm

Twittering One

Dec 4, 2008, 2:21:40 PM12/4/08
> http://www.nypost.com/seven/12022008/news/regionalnews/plax_in_court_...

Either you have an underground activist on your hands, With Dr.
Abisaab, or her undergraduate schooling in Auburn, Alabama, instilled
in her no fear of guns ~ !

Basic Care Suffers Under Medicaid in New York
New York Times
May 1, 1994

"If she didn't have Medicaid I'd just tell her to take Tylenol or
aspirin," said Dr. Josyann Abisaab.

Doctors in other hospitals also said they routinely prescribe more
expensive and effective medication for Medicaid patients because they
know the patients will be able to fill the prescriptions, which might
be too expensive for those with private insurance."

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?sec=health&res=9D06EED91230F932A35756C0A962958260&scp=2&sq=Josyann%20Abisaab&st=cse

Twittering One

Dec 5, 2008, 12:41:38 PM12/5/08
> http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?sec=health&res=9D06EED9123...

Investigators trying to unravel the coverup of Plaxico Burress'
gunshot wound meet Friday with a Giants teammate who saw the shooting
and the emergency room doctor who failed to notify cops, sources said.

Big Blue linebacker Antonio Pierce and Dr. Josyann Abisaab will be
questioned at the NYPD's 17th Precinct by detectives and members of
the Manhattan district attorney's office to determine why police did
not learn about the shooting until more than eight hours after it
happened.

~ NY Daily News
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/ny_crime/2008/12/04/2008-12-04_antonio_pierce_doctor_to_be_grilled_by_c.html

Bring my NY Cornell Hospital of Special Surgery orthopedist with you,
Dr Abisaab ~ ! Officer Hogan needs my pictures.

Twittering One

Dec 6, 2008, 10:23:12 AM12/6/08
On Dec 2, 10:08 am, Twittering One <mournenwo...@aol.com> wrote:
> http://www.nypost.com/seven/12022008/news/regionalnews/plax_in_court_...

Report: Georgia in top 10 states exporting guns used in crime
Gun-friendly South accounted for a disproportionate amount of the
problem
By SEANNA ADCOX

Associated Press
December 05, 2008

COLUMBIA, S.C. — Ten states are responsible for the bulk of illegal
guns that are shipped across state lines for use in crimes, according
to a report released Friday by a national coalition of mayors.

About 30 percent of guns traced by federal agents in 2006 and 2007
during crime investigations were bought in a state other than where
the crime occurred, said the report by Mayors Against Illegal Guns,
which largely blamed the transport of illegal guns on states with lax
gun laws.

(more)
http://www.ajc.com/metro/content/metro/stories/2008/12/05/georgia_illegal_guns.html

Twittering One

Dec 6, 2008, 1:06:05 PM12/6/08
The Bloomberg Administration’s Plan
To Reduce Emergency Shelter for Street Homeless New Yorkers

By Lindsey Davis, Coalition for the Homeless
November 24, 2008

The Bloomberg administration has outlined a plan to reduce emergency
shelter and other vital services for street homeless individuals,
making it more difficult for them to access help at a time when the
number of homeless New Yorkers is on the rise. If it is implemented,
the Bloomberg administration’s plan will:

* Reduce the overnight shelter capacity in drop-in centers and church
and synagogue shelters for street homeless adults by 51 percent;

* Reduce the hours of drop-in centers serving street homeless adults –
the majority of whom are individuals living with mental illness – from
24 hours per day, seven days per week, to 13 hours per day with no
overnight shelter capacity;

* Cut the number of drop-in centers citywide from nine to seven
centers, leaving only three drop-in centers in Manhattan where the
majority of street homelessness is concentrated; and

* Create bureaucratic barriers at drop-in centers, which currently
provide walk-in assistance – making it more difficult for individuals
to access emergency shelter and services.

(more)
http://www.coalitionforthehomeless.org/plans_to_reduce_shelter.html

Do NOT turn NYC into an Atlanta, too busy to THINK.
Homeless people need access to emergency help and shelter in Manhattan
-- not a subway ride to Brooklyn or 2 busses and a subway to the Bronx.

Twittering One

Dec 6, 2008, 1:32:46 PM12/6/08
On Dec 6, 1:06 pm, Twittering One <mournenwo...@aol.com> wrote:
> The Bloomberg Administration’s Plan
> To Reduce Emergency Shelter for Street Homeless New Yorkers
>
> By Lindsey Davis, Coalition for the Homeless
> November 24, 2008
>
> The Bloomberg administration has outlined a plan to reduce emergency
> shelter and other vital services for street homeless individuals,
> making it more difficult for them to access help at a time when the
> number of homeless New Yorkers is on the rise. If it is implemented,
> the Bloomberg administration’s plan will:
>
> * Reduce the overnight shelter capacity in drop-in centers and church
> and synagogue shelters for street homeless adults by 51 percent;
>
> * Reduce the hours of drop-in centers serving street homeless adults –
> the majority of whom are individuals living with mental illness – from
> 24 hours per day, seven days per week, to 13 hours per day with no
> overnight shelter capacity;
>
> * Cut the number of drop-in centers citywide from nine to seven
> centers, leaving only three drop-in centers in Manhattan where the
> majority of street homelessness is concentrated; and
>
> * Create bureaucratic barriers at drop-in centers, which currently
> provide walk-in assistance – making it more difficult for individuals
> to access emergency shelter and services.
>
> (more)http://www.coalitionforthehomeless.org/plans_to_reduce_shelter.html

> Do NOT turn NYC into an Atlanta, too busy to THINK.
> Homeless people need access to emergency help and shelter in Manhattan
> -- not a subway ride to Brooklyn or 2 busses and a subway to the Bronx.

This is also, as you know, an opportunity to show Georgia -- where
patients in state psychiatric wards die from neglect and bowel
obstructions; and suffer from god-only-knows what other atrocities --
that Bellevue Hospital, a Manhattan city hospital, can take
responsibility for its own abuses.

No need for "Made-for-the-Media Whoppers," just the reality ~ !

Twittering One

Dec 12, 2008, 4:38:19 PM12/12/08
From US Department of Human Sergices,
SAMHSA's ...

Roadmap to Seclusion and Restraint Free Mental Health Services

http://mentalhealth.samhsa.gov/publications/allpubs/sma06-4055/#top

Twittering One

Dec 12, 2008, 4:47:03 PM12/12/08

Twittering One

Dec 16, 2008, 1:02:37 PM12/16/08

When I try to send myself this link, from the SAMHSA site, it does not
come to me (why?). Did it go to any of the people I sent the link to,
using the same email option on the site?

Twittering One

Dec 16, 2008, 1:15:50 PM12/16/08

This SAMHSA report asvising against restraint and seclusion was issued
June 2006.

That is the EXACT time I ws injured in Bellevue Hospital.

Twittering One

Dec 16, 2008, 1:22:03 PM12/16/08

Is my lawyer from NYC Legal Aid Society getting the emails I have sent
him, regarding these events? He does not answer.

Twittering One

Dec 16, 2008, 1:42:17 PM12/16/08
> him, regarding these events? He does not answer.- Hide quoted text -

I see that Josh Isay politicl consulting firm is working for Caroline
Kennedy, to go for Hillary Clinton's senate seat.

He also works for Bloomberg.

Bloomberg's staff did not stop me from losing my home, and put me in
Bellevue Hospital, where I was seriously injured.

The SAMHSA report says, "Most people subject to restraint do not come
away with visible scars, but with psychologicla scars," or something
to that effect.

I was left with scars on the nerves in my hand and arm.

THEY did that to me.

Twittering One

Dec 16, 2008, 4:20:23 PM12/16/08
> THEY did that to me.- Hide quoted text -

Brooklyn psych ward a snake pit
BY JOHN MARZULLI
DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER

Tuesday, December 16th 2008, 4:00 AM

Despite several probes after the negligent death of a woman in its
emergency room, Kings County Hospital's psychiatric ward remains a
hellhole for its vulnerable patients.

http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/brooklyn/2008/12/16/2008-12-16_brooklyn_psych_ward_a_snake_pit-1.html

Twittering One

Dec 16, 2008, 4:24:58 PM12/16/08
> THEY did that to me.- Hide quoted text -

December 17, 2008
Kennedy Has No Shortage of Advisers
By DAVID HALBFINGER
As she tries to move from being a famous private person to being a
United States senator, Caroline Kennedy will rely on seasoned hands
from previous New York campaigns.

But she will also turn for advice to an extensive network of friends
and family for advice, including her cousin Maria Shriver,
California’s first lady; and Gary Ginsberg, a top executive at News
Corp, the owner of The New York Post.

The nuts and bolts of her campaign for Gov. David A. Paterson’s
appointment are being managed by Josh Isay, a political consultant who
founded the firm Knickerbocker SKD and has been an important
strategist for Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg.

Mr. Isay, who got his start working for Senator Charles E. Schumer,
could help Ms. Kennedy make her case to many of the state’s most
influential Democrats merely by putting her in touch with his other
clients.

These include Steve Levy, the Suffolk County executive, and leaders of
several large unions: 1199, the giant health-care workers’ union;
Local 32BJ, the building-service workers’ union; the American
Federation of State, County and Municipal Employees; the Communication
Workers of America, and the New York City District Council of
Carpenters.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/12/17/us/politics/17ckadvisers.html?_r=1&hp

Twittering One

Dec 16, 2008, 4:37:21 PM12/16/08
> http://www.nytimes.com/2008/12/17/us/politics/17ckadvisers.html?_r=1&hp- Hide quoted text -

NYU Medical Center makes deals with NYC administration that place me
in danger.

Twittering One

Dec 16, 2008, 4:56:29 PM12/16/08
> >http://www.nytimes.com/2008/12/17/us/politics/17ckadvisers.html?_r=1&hp-Hide quoted text -

> NYU Medical Center makes deals with NYC administration that place me
> in danger.- Hide quoted text -

Watch OUT low-on-staff-level HHC people; medical staff will SET YOU UP
for prosecution.

Twittering One

Dec 16, 2008, 4:57:45 PM12/16/08
> > >http://www.nytimes.com/2008/12/17/us/politics/17ckadvisers.html?_r=1&...quoted text -

> > NYU Medical Center makes deals with NYC administration that place me
> > in danger.- Hide quoted text -

> Watch OUT low-on-staff-level HHC people; medical staff will SET YOU UP
> for prosecution.- Hide quoted text -

But it was MEDICAL STAFF who caused my injuries.