Ritalin is NOT addictive

Katz Heitmann

Jun 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/14/00

Tralalaah wrote:

> Anne is right, of course. Ritalin is not addictive. It was put on schedule II
> because of concern that it *might* be addictive. There is NO evidence that it
> is, but the issue has become such a political football that it will never
> change. In addition, the media has done such a dandy job of convincing people
> that it's fun to abuse Ritalin (it isn't) that we don't dare.
>
> But if there's one universal comment among adults with ADHD who take Ritalin,
> it's that they so often forget to take it.
>
> People addicted to cigarettes don't forget to smoke. People addicted to
> caffeine don't forget their morning cup of coffee. Heroin addicts don't forget
> to shoot up.
>
> But adults with ADHD complain all the time that they forget to take it.

I think we should remove the restrictions on it's use. So what if someone abuses
it why do we care? If they die because they took too much then they don't have
any sense at all and we are better off without them anyway. I wish some of these
trolls would OD so we could get rid of them. I think people should be able to
kill themselves whenever they feel like it. Or destroy themselves if they want to
just as long as they don't take anyone else down with them I could care less about
a bunch of fuck ups that we would be better off without anyway.

--
-Katz Heitmann

I never went to kindergarden so all I needed to know I learned from Shakespeare
You won't survive long if you live in a Shakespearian tragedy.

lwats...@my-deja.com

Jun 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/14/00
In article <394751AE...@mindspring.com>,
Katz Heitmann <kat...@mindspring.com> wrote:

> I think we should remove the restrictions on it's use. So what if
someone abuses
> it why do we care?

Of course you do Katz. I am sure you believ everyone should be on
drugs like you. Drug abuse is a serious problem in our country and it
ruins lives on a daily basis, THAT IS WHY WE CARE.

>If they die because they took too much then they don't have
> any sense at all and we are better off without them anyway.

What about their families Katz. They may have children or they may be
your child. You are a cold cruel individual to not see how harsh what
you are saying above is.

>I wish some of these
> trolls would OD so we could get rid of them.

I wish you would quit calling people you disagree with trolls. It
shows a lack of original thought.

>I think people should be able to
> kill themselves whenever they feel like it. Or destroy themselves if
they want to
> just as long as they don't take anyone else down with them

They always take someone down with them. Not neccessarily physically,
but emotionally everyone leaves a void in someones life when they die
and you know it. If you don't your even more often balance than your
writing lets on.

>I could care less about
> a bunch of fuck ups that we would be better off without anyway.

You are a cold cold person. Everyone contributes something to this
world when they are at their best. By the way I was going to
congratulate you by not using the word f*ck in the entire post, but you
had to throw it in at the end. You know many children use the internet
and it is unfair of you to expose them to profanity like this.

Lily

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Tralalaah

Jun 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/14/00
Katz said:

"I think we should remove the restrictions on it's use. So what if someone
abuses

it why do we care? If they die because they took too much then they don't have

any sense at all and we are better off without them anyway. "

Since the reality is that most of the abusers are very young and immature, I'm
not willing to go there. There is one way abusing Ritalin can kill from
snorting. I'm not going to say what it is, but it has nothing whatsoever to do
with the active incredient (methylphenidate). It is, however, a terrible way to
die. If it doesn't kill, it can ruin the quality of life.

I have no proof, but I suspect that a fair number of those using Ritalin
illicitly may be young people not diagnosed with ADHD, because if you don't
have either ADHD or narcolepsy (or in rare case, depression) -- it won't do
much for you one way or the other.

JDrew63929

Jun 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/14/00
>From: Katz Heitmann kat...@mindspring.com
>Date: 06/14/2000 4:34 AM US Eastern Standard Time
>Tralalaah wrote:
>
>> Anne is right, of course. Ritalin is not addictive. It was put on schedule
>II
>> because of concern that it *might* be addictive. There is NO evidence that
>it
>> is, but the issue has become such a political football that it will never
>> change. In addition, the media has done such a dandy job of convincing
>people
>> that it's fun to abuse Ritalin (it isn't) that we don't dare.
>>
>> But if there's one universal comment among adults with ADHD who take
>Ritalin,
>> it's that they so often forget to take it.
>>
>> People addicted to cigarettes don't forget to smoke. People addicted to
>> caffeine don't forget their morning cup of coffee. Heroin addicts don't
>forget
>> to shoot up.
>>
>> But adults with ADHD complain all the time that they forget to take it.
>

>I think we should remove the restrictions on it's use. So what if someone
>abuses
>it why do we care? If they die because they took too much then they don't
>have

>any sense at all and we are better off without them anyway. I wish some of
>these
>trolls would OD so we could get rid of them. I think people should be able

>kill themselves whenever they feel like it. Or destroy themselves if they
>want to

>just as long as they don't take anyone else down with them I could care less

>about
>a bunch of fuck ups that we would be better off without anyway.
>

>--
>-Katz Heitmann

What an attitude! You are speaking of adults, I am concerned about kids.
Teenagers are using Ritalin to get high, they are also smoking it, and trading
it for other drugs.

Jan

Mark Probert

Jun 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/14/00
In article <20000614113229...@ng-cd1.aol.com>,

Sure.

Of course, you are aware of the fact that MPH when taken as
prescribed is NOT addictive? Further, when taken as prescirbed
does not affect the brain in the same manner that addictive
drugs do? That this has been demonstrated in a world renown
research facility during ongoing studies of the physiology of
addiction?

The simple fact is, MPH is a lousy substance to use to get high,
it does not last long and it gives a rotten high.

The abuse of MPH may exist in those who think it enhances
performance, makes you think clearer, etc. But, then, people use
herbs, etc for the same thing.

Makes you wonder, doesn't it?

Katz Heitmann

Jun 15, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/15/00

lwats...@my-deja.com wrote:

> In article <394751AE...@mindspring.com>,
> Katz Heitmann <kat...@mindspring.com> wrote:
>

> > I think we should remove the restrictions on it's use. So what if
> someone abuses
> > it why do we care?
>

> Of course you do Katz. I am sure you believ everyone should be on
> drugs like you. Drug abuse is a serious problem in our country and it
> ruins lives on a daily basis, THAT IS WHY WE CARE.

Says you reptile breath

> >If they die because they took too much then they don't have
> > any sense at all and we are better off without them anyway.
>

> What about their families Katz. They may have children or they may be
> your child. You are a cold cruel individual to not see how harsh what
> you are saying above is.

I don't have kids. Well you aren't exactly a hero either, Lily.

> >I wish some of these
> > trolls would OD so we could get rid of them.
>

> I wish you would quit calling people you disagree with trolls. It
> shows a lack of original thought.

You show lack of origional though. Don't pretend to be intelligent we know
you aren't

> >I think people should be able to
> > kill themselves whenever they feel like it. Or destroy themselves if
> they want to
> > just as long as they don't take anyone else down with them
>

> They always take someone down with them. Not neccessarily physically,
> but emotionally everyone leaves a void in someones life when they die
> and you know it. If you don't your even more often balance than your
> writing lets on.

Off balance you mean. You can't even write. Were your mother and father
brother and sister by any chance.

> >I could care less about
> > a bunch of fuck ups that we would be better off without anyway.
>

> You are a cold cold person. Everyone contributes something to this
> world when they are at their best. By the way I was going to
> congratulate you by not using the word f*ck in the entire post, but you
> had to throw it in at the end. You know many children use the internet
> and it is unfair of you to expose them to profanity like this.

Lmao. Profanity is ubiqutus like macdonald's resturants if they don't hear
it from me they'll hear it from older children or their parents. Life is
unfair I don't suppose you know about that you little snot nosed prep
living in a bubble. So what if I curse. I saw the letter you sent to one
of my friends and you curse too don't play innocent with me.

--
-Katz Heitmann

Max Wolf

Jun 15, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/15/00
Katz Heitmann wrote:<a whole bunch of stuff to a troll>

You know Katz, it's only responding to you because it gets the biggest
rise out of you. By the way, what's your typing speed? I looked at the
times on a couple of your posts and figure (given their size) I'm hard
pressed to even read that quick. Sure you're not using speed in place of
ritalin? ;)

Sincerely,
Max

Max Wolf

Jun 15, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/15/00
Lily wrote:

> You are a cold cold person. Everyone contributes something to this
> world when they are at their best. By the way I was going to
> congratulate you by not using the word f*ck in the entire post, but you
> had to throw it in at the end. You know many children use the internet
> and it is unfair of you to expose them to profanity like this.

Don't think there are many kids using the newsgroups, particularly this
one. And while I think he could cut back on the profanity, it's not as
bad as the ignorance and intolerance you would expose them to.

No, he's not a cold person. He's obviously a bit short tempered. Which
is why you're picking on him in particular. Does it make you feel better
about yourself?

Max

Christopher Eliot

Jun 15, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/15/00
Not speed, but an offline mailer that sends messages in a bunch. I do it
too.
--
Christopher Eliot, Ph.D.
http://www.EmpireMaster.com/adhd/start.html

----------

Kicka

Jun 15, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/15/00
I dont know what help I could be, but my experience with ritalin
as a kind was a scary one. I was 15. I wasn't ADDICTED, but I
had something happen kinda like tourettes, but very different
from tourettes. I lost control of my facial muscles. It went
away when the drug was discontinued. I took ritalin with a
cojentant.
I personally think, ( I REPEAT!) I PERSONALLY THINK! the medical
reaction is different from person to person. I wont comment on
the addictiveness, cause I don't know. I know I wasn't, but then
I wasn't on it long enough I don't think to form one.

Sue

Jun 15, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/15/00
Young kids and teens seem willing to try almost anything to try to get
high. (Maybe because they're too young to buy alcohol, most people's
intoxicant of choice.) When I was a kid, it was rumored that dissolving
aspirin in Coca-Cola and drinking it would get you high. Ditto smoking
baked banana peels or nutmeg. I never tried any of them, but I am sure
they made for lousy highs, and I doubt anyone ended up in rehab because
of them.

Sure, kids should be discouraged from trying to abuse someone else's
Ritalin prescription. It's never a good idea to take somebody else's
medication, and snorting Ritalin is dangerous because of the talc it
contains as a binder. I bet fewer kids would try it if the mdeia hadn't
kicked up such a scare about it's being a dangerous, addictive drug of
abuse (read: alluring, because it supposedly "gets you high")!

Sue

Max Wolf

Jun 19, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/19/00
Christopher Eliot wrote:

> Not speed, but an offline mailer that sends messages in a bunch. I do it
> too.
Oh, duh. Well, what do you expect from someone who took two days to
figure out messages were accumulating in his outbox. (sigh)

> Max Wolf wrote:
> >
> > Katz,what's your typing speed? I looked at the

yes

Jun 19, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/19/00

i can't figure what kind of high anyone could get from
ritalin. when i was adjusting my morning dose, i went over
the necessary amount, and i felt jittery, and everything i
did, i did really fast- to the point of dropping things,
etc. it wasn't an experience i'd care to repeat.

virginia

* Sent from AltaVista http://www.altavista.com Where you can also find related Web Pages, Images, Audios, Videos, News, and Shopping. Smart is Beautiful

Christopher Eliot

Jun 19, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/19/00

As I understand it, people who abuse amphetimines take about 30 times the
dosage that would be used to treat ADHD. It is not just a few mg more than a
normal dose, but a whole month's worth taken in one day. I can see how that
would fry circuits. I have no idea what it would be like.

In article <0b90d704...@usw-ex0109-070.remarq.com>, yes,virginia

EmmaAnne

Jun 19, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/19/00
<yes> wrote:

> i can't figure what kind of high anyone could get from
> ritalin. when i was adjusting my morning dose, i went over
> the necessary amount, and i felt jittery, and everything i
> did, i did really fast- to the point of dropping things,
> etc. it wasn't an experience i'd care to repeat.

When I was tirtrating, I tried 60 mg a day. I felt yucky and twitchy -
definitely not high.

--
"After long thought and much perplexity,
to be very brief was all that she could determine

Julian9EHP

Jun 19, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/19/00
>From: yes,virginia

>i can't figure what kind of high anyone could get from
>ritalin. when i was adjusting my morning dose, i went over
>the necessary amount, and i felt jittery, and everything i
>did, i did really fast- to the point of dropping things,
>etc. it wasn't an experience i'd care to repeat.

Famous study. (I don't have the citation, folks: it's from a long-lost
college text.) Three groups of people given epinephrine.
First group told it would it was X drug, which would make them terrified -- and
they were. Second group told it was Y drug, which would make them ecstatic --
and they were. Third group told it was epinephrine, which would increase heart
rate and sweating. It did, with no great emotional differences.

E. Penrose

yes

Jun 20, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/20/00

In article <20000619192449...@ng-fg1.aol.com>,

that is neat.

Keith ODonnell

Jun 29, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/29/00

<yes>; "virginia" <bellecat...@hotmail.com.invalid> wrote in message

> i can't figure what kind of high anyone could get from
> ritalin. when i was adjusting my morning dose, i went over
> the necessary amount, and i felt jittery, and everything i
> did, i did really fast- to the point of dropping things,
> etc. it wasn't an experience i'd care to repeat.
>
> virginia
>

> * Sent from AltaVista http://www.altavista.com Where you can also find
related Web Pages, Images, Audios, Videos, News, and Shopping. Smart is
Beautiful

Dear "can't figure out what kind of high",

I'm sensitive to stimulants. My dr. knew this. I was on about 25 mg of
ritalin when my dr fucked up.
I was as busy as hell and didn't read the label.
but He had me on 120mg. This gave me blurred vision, stroke level high
blood pressure etc. I went back and said, I can't take this. I get
nasty headaches and blurred vision. He gave me high blood pressure meds so
I could take the full overdose without any >>physical<< symptoms.
He didn't check the dosage of my ritalin (That's my guess looking back now).

So I didn't have anymore headaches or blurred vision. Just paranoia and
delusions and things. I didn't mind what was happening because I felt like
I was god. Everyone was against me. Everyone was against me but it was ok
because I was more powerful than all of them put together.
I stopped sleeping. I didn't think I was sleepless, because I just didn't
want to sleep. There were too many things to do.
When I did sleep, I didn't fall asleep anymore. I would CRASH asleep.
This part kinda reminds me of Elvis falling over into
his soup: One night I can remember (and I can't remember much)
praying before I put the kids down to sleep. The next thing I knew my
daughter was shaking me awake saying, "daddy! daddy! you
were praying and in mid-sentence you just fell over! Are you ok? Are you
ok daddy?!" On another occasion, I was going out to
the car to take the kids to school after a violent bout of diahrea. My
daughter said, "Daddy, this is the dozenth time you've come
out here and you still don't have your car keys!" I said, "Really? Funny.
I don't remember. I must have forgotten to take my
ritalin this morning." So I went and took even more! :-) My neighbor asked
me if I wanted to go to Church. I said, "NO!
I don't trust God anymore." Go figger. God just isn't as trustworthy when
you're on Ritalin. :-) I lost my familly. I lost my job.
In an exhibition of hysterical strength brought on by the stimulants, I
squashed the bottom disk in my back like a grape.
So I lost my health too. I lost everything. I haven't had ritialin since.
But even after all that it's done to me,
I still crave it as though it were a steak hung in front of a starving man.
If I had ever done drugs, I guess I would
have known what was happening to me.

Does this answer your question about what kind of high someone could get
from Ritalin? You're right. Ritalin really is
completely innocuous. Why hell - just go grab yourself a bucket full!
People with ADD can't get
addicted to it. They're >>different<<. Oh yeah. We don't crave it unless
we get an overdose.
Don't worry just because the symptoms they're giving it to you for are
identical to many
of the symptoms of an overdose. Once you start having those overdose
symptoms, they'll just have to
give you some more Ritalin to clear it up. Yup. Some is good, more is
better. I understand you're not seeing
what kind of high you can get from it. Why heck, I couldn't understand
that either even while I >>was<< high with it!

Regards,

ko

Joe Parsons

Jun 29, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/29/00
On Thu, 29 Jun 2000 13:04:03 -0400, "Keith ODonnell" <thato...@mindspring.com>
wrote:

>Dear "can't figure out what kind of high",
>
>I'm sensitive to stimulants. My dr. knew this. I was on about 25 mg of
>ritalin when my dr fucked up.
>I was as busy as hell and didn't read the label.
>but He had me on 120mg. This gave me blurred vision, stroke level high
>blood pressure etc. I went back and said, I can't take this. I get
>nasty headaches and blurred vision. He gave me high blood pressure meds so
>I could take the full overdose without any >>physical<< symptoms.
>He didn't check the dosage of my ritalin (That's my guess looking back now).

[snip]

>In an exhibition of hysterical strength brought on by the stimulants, I
>squashed the bottom disk in my back like a grape.
>So I lost my health too. I lost everything. I haven't had ritialin since.
>But even after all that it's done to me,
>I still crave it as though it were a steak hung in front of a starving man.
>If I had ever done drugs, I guess I would
>have known what was happening to me.
>
>Does this answer your question about what kind of high someone could get
>from Ritalin? You're right. Ritalin really is
>completely innocuous. Why hell - just go grab yourself a bucket full!
>People with ADD can't get
>addicted to it. They're >>different<<. Oh yeah. We don't crave it unless
>we get an overdose.
>Don't worry just because the symptoms they're giving it to you for are
>identical to many
>of the symptoms of an overdose. Once you start having those overdose
>symptoms, they'll just have to
>give you some more Ritalin to clear it up. Yup. Some is good, more is
>better. I understand you're not seeing
>what kind of high you can get from it. Why heck, I couldn't understand
>that either even while I >>was<< high with it!

This is a good example of the problems that can occur when a stimulant like
Ritalin is abused, even unintentionally.

But none of it is relevant to the therapeutic usage of this or any medication.

Joe Parsons

Frequently Asked Questions for alt.support.attn-deficit
and other resources for dealing with attention deficit
disorder are at http://www.cyber-mall.com/asad/

Keith ODonnell

Jun 29, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/29/00

"Joe Parsons" <j...@cyber-mall.com> wrote in message

> On Thu, 29 Jun 2000 13:04:03 -0400, "Keith ODonnell"
<thato...@mindspring.com>
> wrote:

.... <CLIP>....

> But none of it is relevant to the therapeutic usage of this or any
medication.

> Joe Parsons

> Frequently Asked Questions for alt.support.attn-deficit
> and other resources for dealing with attention deficit
> disorder are at http://www.cyber-mall.com/asad/

Gee. That's really wise. I guess the couple of other folks complaining
about headaches
in this group are irrelevant too. I guess they aren't relevant to the
therapeutic usage
of this drug or any medication either.

It must really suck when you realize that the "therapeutic usage" you're
talking about isn't
really that therapeutic. And that people's lives have actually been royally
fucked up by it.
I can see why you consider us irrelevant.

But regrettably, the topic of the group isn't the medication. It's
attention deficit issues.
And the therapeutic use of the drug isn't the topic of conversation in this
thread. Nobody was
talking about therapeutic use of the drug or any medication, Joe. The
topic is about
whether or not Ritalin can be addictive. So your irrelevancy comment is in
fact itself irrelevant.
I'm not off topic. You are. You are off topic no matter who the fuck you
are or think you are.

BSEG Take a hike richard noggin,

ko

Mark Probert

Jun 29, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/29/00
"Keith ODonnell" <thato...@mindspring.com> wrote:

>"Joe Parsons" <j...@cyber-mall.com> wrote in message
>> On Thu, 29 Jun 2000 13:04:03 -0400, "Keith ODonnell"
><thato...@mindspring.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>..... <CLIP>....

Please watch your language. This newsgroup is like an extension
of my lving room and such foul mouthing is not tolerated.

Got questions? Get answers over the phone at Keen.com.
Up to 100 minutes free!
http://www.keen.com

Keith ODonnell

Jun 29, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/29/00
Oh. I almost forgot, Joe. I didn't abuse Ritalin. A doctor abused me
with it.
And regarding the topic of this thread, "Ritalin is NOT addictive". My
comments can be put succintly: Oh yes it is addictive. It is as addictive
as hell.
And this is very relevant to everyone with ADD (the topic of this group)
because
it is in fact being grossly overprescribed. Not just to individuals who
shouldn't be
taking it, but also to those who are. I'm living proof of it. And I will
not be
silenced.

Regards,

Keith

"Joe Parsons" <j...@cyber-mall.com> wrote in message
> On Thu, 29 Jun 2000 13:04:03 -0400, "Keith ODonnell"
<thato...@mindspring.com>
> wrote:

<SNIP> ..

> This is a good example of the problems that can occur when a stimulant
like
> Ritalin is abused, even unintentionally.

John Palmer

Jun 29, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/29/00
On Thu, 29 Jun 2000 19:55:58 -0400, "Keith ODonnell"
<thato...@mindspring.com> wrote:

>"Joe Parsons" <j...@cyber-mall.com> wrote in message
>> On Thu, 29 Jun 2000 13:04:03 -0400, "Keith ODonnell"
><thato...@mindspring.com>
>> wrote:
>>

>.... <CLIP>....

>> But none of it is relevant to the therapeutic usage of this or any
>medication.
>

>Gee. That's really wise. I guess the couple of other folks complaining
>about headaches

>in this group are irrelevant too. I guess they aren't relevant to the
>therapeutic usage

>of this drug or any medication either.

Trusting your doctor as infallible, and being unwilling to consider
a second opinion despite numerous warning signs of problems, and physician
incompetence seems to have been the cause of your problems. Does that have
any bearing on the drug itself? No.

Similar things have happened to people who are bipolar with ordinary
antidepressants. Their experiences also don't have any bearing on the
antidepressants for people who don't have bipolar disorder.

>I can see why you consider us irrelevant.

Joe said nothing of the sort.

--
Everything I needed to know in life, I learned in kindergarten. Like:
Wrestling with a lion and a grizzly bear is not necessarily the best

J. Clarke

Jun 29, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/29/00
Keith, instead of pestering us with all this stuff, why don't you prove it
to a judge and jury and let us read about you in the newspapers? Seems to
me that having a couple of million dollars in the bank as a result of your
lawsuit would be a lot more satisfying than haranguing a bunch of people who
are mostly unimpressed by your rant.

--

---

--- John

Reply to jclarke at eye bee em dot net

"Keith ODonnell" <thato...@mindspring.com> wrote in message

> Oh. I almost forgot, Joe. I didn't abuse Ritalin. A doctor abused me
> with it.
> And regarding the topic of this thread, "Ritalin is NOT addictive". My
> comments can be put succintly: Oh yes it is addictive. It is as
addictive
> as hell.
> And this is very relevant to everyone with ADD (the topic of this group)
> because
> it is in fact being grossly overprescribed. Not just to individuals who
> shouldn't be
> taking it, but also to those who are. I'm living proof of it. And I
will
> not be
> silenced.
>
> Regards,
>
> Keith

> "Joe Parsons" <j...@cyber-mall.com> wrote in message
> > On Thu, 29 Jun 2000 13:04:03 -0400, "Keith ODonnell"
> <thato...@mindspring.com>
> > wrote:

> <SNIP> ..
> >
> > This is a good example of the problems that can occur when a stimulant
> like
> > Ritalin is abused, even unintentionally.
> >

> > But none of it is relevant to the therapeutic usage of this or any
> medication.

Joe Parsons

Jun 30, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/30/00
wrote:

>"Joe Parsons" <j...@cyber-mall.com> wrote in message
>> On Thu, 29 Jun 2000 13:04:03 -0400, "Keith ODonnell"
><thato...@mindspring.com>
>> wrote:
>>

>.... <CLIP>....

>> But none of it is relevant to the therapeutic usage of this or any
>medication.
>>
>> Joe Parsons

>Gee. That's really wise. I guess the couple of other folks complaining
>about headaches
>in this group are irrelevant too. I guess they aren't relevant to the
>therapeutic usage

>of this drug or any medication either.

There's a great difference between simple "headaches" and the kinds of side
effects you reported from your inadvertent overdoses.

>It must really suck when you realize that the "therapeutic usage" you're
>talking about isn't
>really that therapeutic.

Now you are introducing a different topic altogether, which is fine. For the
sake of clarity, though, you may want to create a new thread for discussing
whether a stimulant like Ritalin is useful at all.

>And that people's lives have actually been royally
>fucked up by it.

Would you mind producing something to document how people's lives were fucked up
by taking Ritalin in a non-abuse setting?

>I can see why you consider us irrelevant.

I don't even *know* you, other than what you wrote in your one posting. What I
said (and I'm sorry if it wasn't clear enough) was this: On Thu, 29 Jun 2000

18:07:18 GMT, Joe Parsons <j...@cyber-mall.com> wrote:

>But none of it is relevant to the therapeutic usage of this or any medication.

...and by "it" I meant the abuse (intentional or unintentional) of any substance
is not relevant to whether that substance is appropriate when used as intended.
I said nothing about any person's being "irrelevant."

>But regrettably, the topic of the group isn't the medication. It's
>attention deficit issues.

Actually, as the FAQ maintainer (have you read it, by the way?) I can tell you
that discussions of medication is a topic that's quite appropriate in ASAD.

>And the therapeutic use of the drug isn't the topic of conversation in this
>thread.

There's never a Topic Cop around when you really need one, is there?

Topic Drift is a usual and accepted phenomenon in ASAD. Has been for years.
Deal with it. (Hey! Somebody arrest Chris--he talked about using an offline
newsreader in this thread!)

>Nobody was
>talking about therapeutic use of the drug or any medication, Joe. The
>topic is about
>whether or not Ritalin can be addictive. So your irrelevancy comment is in
>fact itself irrelevant.

No one knowledgeable will deny that Ritalin is potentially addictive--but in
therapeutic usage, it's been well established that it isn't. In the unlikely
event that you'd like some documentation on that particular issue, I'd be happy
to pass it on to you.

The Drug Enforcement Administration placed methylphenidate on Schedule II under
the Controlled Substances Act of 1970 largely based on its high *potential* for
abuse, and the resulting possibility of dependency. The addiction studies they
did to arrive at this conclusion involved administering high dosages to rodents
parenterally.

>I'm not off topic. You are. You are off topic no matter who the fuck you
>are or think you are.

So sue me.

But I am curious about something, Keith: when you took 120 mg of Ritalin, the
effect would have been pretty much immediate, drastic and not all that pleasant.

Why did you continue taking it?

Joe Parsons

You can find the FAQ at http://cyber-mall.com/asad/faq.html

>BSEG Take a hike richard noggin,
>

>ko

Joe Parsons

Jun 30, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/30/00
On Thu, 29 Jun 2000 20:19:15 -0400, "Keith ODonnell" <thato...@mindspring.com>
wrote:

>Oh. I almost forgot, Joe. I didn't abuse Ritalin. A doctor abused me
>with it.

Keith, please read what I said--carefully this time. Here--I'll move it up, so
you can find it more easily:

On Thu, 29 Jun 2000 18:07:18 GMT, Joe Parsons <j...@cyber-mall.com> wrote:

>>This is a good example of the problems that can occur when a stimulant like
>>Ritalin is abused, even unintentionally.

Please note the last word in the sentence: "un-in-ten-tion-al-ly."

>And regarding the topic of this thread, "Ritalin is NOT addictive". My
>comments can be put succintly: Oh yes it is addictive. It is as addictive
>as hell.

Sure--if it is abused.

>And this is very relevant to everyone with ADD (the topic of this group)
>because
>it is in fact being grossly overprescribed.

Ah--now we have ANOTHER topic: The Overprescription Of Ritalin.

If you believe this to be the case, would you mind producing some scrap of
substantiation for the statement? Thanks so much.

Oh, and Keith? Since this thread is already all over the map, just go ahead and
post those cites right here.

Joe Parsons

>Not just to individuals who
>shouldn't be
>taking it, but also to those who are. I'm living proof of it. And I will
>not be
>silenced.
>
>Regards,
>
>Keith

>"Joe Parsons" <j...@cyber-mall.com> wrote in message
>> On Thu, 29 Jun 2000 13:04:03 -0400, "Keith ODonnell"
><thato...@mindspring.com>
>> wrote:

><SNIP> ..
>>
>> This is a good example of the problems that can occur when a stimulant
>like
>> Ritalin is abused, even unintentionally.

>> But none of it is relevant to the therapeutic usage of this or any
>medication.
>>
>> Joe Parsons

Tralalaah

Jun 30, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/30/00
Ritalin is not addictive.

If a doctor got you addicted to *anything* you should sue that doctor. You
should be written up in a medical journal.

And it's NOT being "grossly overprescribed.

You won't be silenced, but around here you're not likely to be believed by
anyone whose attention you would welcome.

stan_...@my-deja.com

Jun 30, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/30/00
In article <8i8ac2$224$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>,

kat...@mindspring.com wrote:
> In article <394751AE...@mindspring.com>,
> Katz Heitmann <kat...@mindspring.com> wrote:

>> I think we should remove the restrictions on it's use. So what if
>> someone abuses it why do we care?

> Of course you do Katz. I am sure you believ everyone should be on
> drugs like you. Drug abuse is a serious problem in our country and it
> ruins lives on a daily basis, THAT IS WHY WE CARE.

>> If they die because they took too much then they don't have

>> any sense at all and we are better off without them anyway.

> What about their families Katz. They may have children or they may be
> your child. You are a cold cruel individual to not see how harsh what
> you are saying above is.

I don't know the history here - nor am I familiar with either of
your styles or positions. I'm responding ONLY to the above. That
having been said, I actually agree with Katz. I'm tired of having to
JUSTIFY or defend the treatment of ADD. It's hard enough deailng with
this - the attempted guilt trip and tremendous anxiety over being
disapproved or grilled because you're taking >gasp!< RITALIN doesn't
make it easier.

So, I do feel that what other people do is their business, as
long as it doesn't prevent me from living my life. Really, I wouldn't
feel the least bit sorry or responsible if some idiot tried to get high
on methylphenidate and got hurt from the attempt. I feel the same way
about driving. Don't be unfair - for example, by making a driving
curfew for people under 18 just because SOME folks under 18 can't
handle the responsibility.

Anyway - if you're looking for euphoria or hallucinations or
what have you, look elsewhere. Ritalin, as far as I am aware, is
really a very poor choice for a "recreational" drug. It's expensive,
and I don't think you can get high on it.

>> I could care less about a bunch of fuck ups that we would be better
>> off without anyway.

> You are a cold cold person. Everyone contributes something to this

> world when they are at their best. By the way I was going to
> congratulate you by not using the word f*ck in the entire post, but
> you had to throw it in at the end. You know many children use the
> internet and it is unfair of you to expose them to profanity like
> this.

Sorry, Lily - but once again I feel for Katz. She isn't holding
little ones' faces to the screen. It's parents' responsibility,
generally, to enforce the standards they set. If they don't want their
children exposed to profanity - they have to be on the look out for
it. This isn't rec.barney or what have you - where I suppose it is
reasonable to expect that there would be no swearing. Now, if their
kids' teachers were swearing, that's a different story. Children ARE
forced to go to school - and of course no parent should have to worry
that Johny's 3rd grade teacher is spitting out inappropriate language.

Well, that's my $.02 .

-stan

Tralalaah

Jun 30, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/30/00
Stan said:

" Anyway - if you're looking for euphoria or hallucinations or
what have you, look elsewhere. Ritalin, as far as I am aware, is
really a very poor choice for a "recreational" drug. It's expensive,
and I don't think you can get high on it."

Forget it, Stan. He doesn't want to hear the truth. Do you really want to waste
any of your fininte time on this ... person?

Tralalaah

Jun 30, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/30/00
J. Clarke said:

"Seems to
me that having a couple of million dollars in the bank as a result of your
lawsuit would be a lot more satisfying than haranguing a bunch of people who
are mostly unimpressed by your rant."

It would also be a lot more persuasive.

Norma

Jun 30, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/30/00
Sigh, someone has a problem with Ritalin. Assumes then that nobody should be
taking it because of "his" experiences. With that reasoning everything
should be banned.

--
Norma

There's a place I like to hide,
A doorway that I run through in the night...

"Keith ODonnell" <thato...@mindspring.com> wrote in message

> Oh. I almost forgot, Joe. I didn't abuse Ritalin. A doctor abused me
> with it.

> And regarding the topic of this thread, "Ritalin is NOT addictive". My
> comments can be put succintly: Oh yes it is addictive. It is as
addictive
> as hell.

> And this is very relevant to everyone with ADD (the topic of this group)
> because

> it is in fact being grossly overprescribed. Not just to individuals who

Annie

Jun 30, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/30/00
| And this is very relevant to everyone with ADD (the topic of this group)
| because
| it is in fact being grossly overprescribed.

1. Would this (it is in fact being grossly overprescribed) be compared to
something?
2. How do you know it's overprescribed?

Did you also know that ADD/ADHD are also bigger in numbers then..... let's
say 20 years ago, because there happens to be more people on this earth.
Doesn't take a math scientist to figure that one out.

--

Annie