Fan Q Awards and an ASC writer

Gabrielle Lawson

Feb 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/7/99

Howdy. Gabrielle, here, writer of the enormously long stand-alone DS9
stories.

I'm just particularly flattered an honored, so I wanted to toot my own
horn and
share with you all here at asc, my home on the net for at least 3
years. Remember
Oswiecim? That incredibly long DS9 story set in Auschwitz? Well, it's
been
nominated for the annual Fan Q Awards. Three nominations gets it on the
ballot.
I don't have confirmation of the second and third nominations yet, but
two other
folks did have the intention of nominating it. So I should be on the
ballot when
it comes out. I do hope that if you read and enjoyed the story, you
might consider
voting when the time comes.

Thanks for letting me share.

--
--Gabrielle
I'd much rather be writing!

Gabrielle Lawson

Feb 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/8/99

Marlissa Campbell wrote:

> Congratulations Gabrielle! 'Oswiecim' is an excellent story, and any
> awards it wins will be well deserved.

Thank you.

> Forgive my ignorance, though, but could you explain what the 'Fan Q'
> awards are, and where one will be able to vote?

I'm fairly new to it myself. But Joan Marie Verba (whom I will will quote
below by snipping bits of general info from something else--only to inform,
not to infringe) knows a lot about it.

"For those unfamiliar with
it, the Fan Q is a fanzine award started in 1977. Originally, it was only
for Star Trek fanzines, but since then expanded to cover all fanzines."

"Last year, no Star Trek fanzines were on the ballot, for the first
time since the award was created." (So she reccommends nominating
fanzines. Newsletters, apparently are also eligible. These are my words,
not Joan's. Joan's are in the quotes.)

"Fanzine writers, editors, and artists put in a lot of work, and often get
minimal feedback or recognition for their efforts. The Fan Q was created
for the purpose of recognizing and honoring those efforts. Anything
published in
1998 is eligible)."

'The [nomination] form is available at
http://members.aol.com/MdiaWstCon/mwc.htm
If you aren't registered for MediaWest, you need to send in $1 with your
nomination. For the $1, you can nominate as many items as you want and you
can vote. (The $1 is an administrative fee.) Each item must be on one form;
that is, if you're nominating 5 items, you need to send in 5 forms."

"The deadline for nominations is March 20, so there is time to consider."

Marlissa Campbell

Feb 9, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/9/99
Gabrielle Lawson <gla...@gwu.edu> wrote:

>Howdy. Gabrielle, here, writer of the enormously long stand-alone DS9
>stories.
>
>I'm just particularly flattered an honored, so I wanted to toot my own
>horn and
>share with you all here at asc, my home on the net for at least 3
>years. Remember
>Oswiecim? That incredibly long DS9 story set in Auschwitz? Well, it's
>been
>nominated for the annual Fan Q Awards. Three nominations gets it on the
>ballot.

Congratulations Gabrielle! 'Oswiecim' is an excellent story, and any

awards it wins will be well deserved.

Forgive my ignorance, though, but could you explain what the 'Fan Q'

awards are, and where one will be able to vote?

Marlissa

Return address above is altered to discourage spam.
To email me, remove SEESIG.

*PythonTrek*: Star Trek fanfiction on a Monty Python
theme. Pythonesque and other parodies; links to
Star Trek humor sites!

http://www.geocities.com/TelevisionCity/Network/6011/

Bet you weren't expecting that!

Randy Landers

Feb 9, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/9/99
For everyone's information, ORION PRESS does NOT participate in this
awards program. Our long-standing conflict with MediaWestCon has been
well publicized, but it's one of the reasons WHY no Trek zines were
nominated. We simply ignore the award, much like we do the convention
itself.

--
Randy Landers
ORION PRESS

Marlissa Campbell

Feb 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/10/99
"Randy Landers" <randyl...@mindspring.com> wrote:

>For everyone's information, ORION PRESS does NOT participate in this
>awards program. Our long-standing conflict with MediaWestCon has been
>well publicized, but it's one of the reasons WHY no Trek zines were
>nominated. We simply ignore the award, much like we do the convention
>itself.

Gee Randy, I'm sure your reasons for being unhappy with the
MediaWestCon organizers are good ones. I'm also sure that Gabrielle
had *nothing* to do with these problems and was probably blissfully
unaware of them. So why not just wish her luck? She wrote a great
stroy, and deserves recognition for it.

If you want to request that folks *not* nominate their favorite Orion
Press zines, because you don't care to participate, then maybe
starting a new thread would have been a little more...tactful?

Randy Landers

Feb 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/10/99
I do wish Gabrielle well. I think she has an excellent chance of
winning, but without competition, it's hard to get nominated.

I agree. I should have started a new thread, but I also think that the
statement of "no Trek zines were nominated last year" needed
clarification, in my opinion, and since it was brought up in this
thread, here goes...

Despite what Joan Verba says, the following Star Trek fanzines,
stories and authors received honorable mentions in the Fan Q's last
year:

Star Trek Story:
"Lessons of Ascension," by Michael Emond, was published in <The
Celestial Toybox>, edited by Julie Fitch.

Star Trek Artist:
Susan Nemeth

Star Trek "Stand Alone" Zine:
<And Not Fade Away>, by Morgan Stuart, edited by Elizabeth Knauel (and
yes, published by ORION PRESS).

Star Trek Zine:
<Love and Justice 2> edited by Christine Zdroj-Bichler

Honorable mentions apparently went to zines that had enough
nominations to qualify yet had no competition. (And if I'm mistaken
here, it's only because their awards website has no clarification.)

As I said, ORION PRESS does not participate in the awards, and they
never notified us that we were nominated, nor did they inform us that
we had won an honorable mention.

And, yes, I ask that folks refrain from nominating our zines for the
MWC.

Thanks, and my apologies to Gabrielle for any ruffling of feathers.

glimm...@xoommail.com

Feb 22, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/22/99
In article <79qjgf$i69$1...@samsara0.mindspring.com>,

"Randy Landers" <randyl...@mindspring.com> wrote:
> For everyone's information, ORION PRESS does NOT participate in this
> awards program. Our long-standing conflict with MediaWestCon has been
> well publicized, but it's one of the reasons WHY no Trek zines were
> nominated.

Speaking as someone who has always had a wonderful time at MediaWest, and
seen a wealth of wonderful TREK zines with no connection to Orion Press,
don't you think that the statement "it's one of the reasons WHY no Trek zines
were nominated" is just a little bit arrogant?

> We simply ignore the award, much like we do the convention
> itself.

Of course I don't know the history of your "long-standing conflict" (perhaps
it wasn't as well-publicized as you thought). But I can only speak from my
experience, which is one of a wonderful convention, especially for lovers of
quality fanfic and fan art.

(No, I am not associated with the staff of MWC in any way -- but I sure am
looking forward to spending Memorial Day weekend enjoying the excellent con I
know they'll be putting on!)

Randy Landers

Feb 22, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/22/99
Actually, if you'd read the previous post, someone else claimed that
"no Trek zines were nominated," so the statement's not arrogant.

Glimmer Lady also stated

<<course I don't know the history of your "long-standing conflict"
(perhaps
it wasn't as well-publicized as you thought). >>

Sorry, but you must not read the official MediaWest*Con Convention
progress reports which have consistently libeled us since the
disagreement occurred nearly five years ago. This defamation also
existed on their web as late as last November.

But, honestly, I'm glad to hear that there are lots of Trek zines at
MediaWest*Con, just as I'm glad you have a good time there. But don't
expect us to be there. We're doing Shore Leave, and believe me, we
couldn't be happier.

glimm...@xoommail.com

Feb 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/23/99
In article <7at5dl$auf$1...@camel21.mindspring.com>,

"Randy Landers" <randyl...@mindspring.com> wrote:
> Actually, if you'd read the previous post, someone else claimed that
> "no Trek zines were nominated," so the statement's not arrogant.

The statement that "no Trek zines were nominated" is simply a statement of
fact. Your assumption that somehow this hinged on your not being involved
does seem a bit cocky, though, doesn't it? "I wouldn't play, so they
couldn't have a game?"

> Glimmer Lady also stated
> <<course I don't know the history of your "long-standing conflict"
> (perhaps
> it wasn't as well-publicized as you thought). >>
>
> Sorry, but you must not read the official MediaWest*Con Convention
> progress reports which have consistently libeled us since the
> disagreement occurred nearly five years ago. This defamation also
> existed on their web as late as last November.

Actually, I *DO* read them, although perhaps not as closely as I thought. I
certainly don't remember any libelous statements, but I'll go back and check.

> But, honestly, I'm glad to hear that there are lots of Trek zines at
> MediaWest*Con, just as I'm glad you have a good time there. But don't
> expect us to be there. We're doing Shore Leave, and believe me, we
> couldn't be happier.

Is Shore Leave the con formerly known as August Party? If it is, you should
indeed have a great time -- I rememember August Party as a wonderful
convention, back when I lived in Delaware and could get to it!