Accessing Newsgroups/DejaNews (kinda off-topic)

BevPi...@hotmail.com

Sep 5, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/5/98
Hello, everyone! Stephanie Berry here under a new email address (I used to be
Bever...@aol.com). I dropped AOL and need some tips for using Dejanews or
other ways to access ASC and other groups.

The most important thing is how the *hell* do I sign up for groups that the
Dejanews "search" doesn't give me? I input the words that are relevant to the
forums I want to join, and I get these bizarre suggestions of newsgroups that
are totally irrelevant. Can't I just type in the newsgroups' names somewhere
and be subscribed? It's driving me bonkers!

Or is there a better service for accessing newsgroups?

Thanks!

Stefi

J. Juls

Sep 5, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/5/98
I dropped AOL and need some tips for using Dejanews or
>other ways to access ASC and other groups.

I think it's better to do it with a newsreader. Dejanews is handy for
missed posts, but it's a big hassle (to me anyway.)

>The most important thing is how the *hell* do I sign up for groups that the
>Dejanews "search" doesn't give me?

Go to power search, and in the forum box, type the newsgroup name. (If
you're using mydejanews, I don't know!)

Julie

Ann Zewen

Sep 6, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/6/98
J. Juls wrote in response to the following inquiry:

mydejanews is actually quite simple. Click on the question mark, and it'll
give you specific instructions as to how to register for the service, which
then simplifies things for you in that you *subscribe* to specific
newsgroups just as you would on any other newsserver. After that, whenever
you access dejanews, click on mydejanews and you'll get your list of
subscribed newsgroups.

There are other mydejanews services -- like email and posting capabilities,
but I, like Julie, use it only as a backup to my regular news server, mostly
to doublecheck old posts after they've expired on my news server and to find
out more information on certain troublesome posters (they have something
called an author profile, which will tell you everything the individual has
posted to any newsgroup if you wish to know it. when plagued by a racist
idiot, it's interesting to find out where else he's been spewing his venom.)

However, the two big drawbacks to dejanews is that messages show up there on
a delayed basis and that longer messages tend to be broken up into smaller
submessages, both of which I find annoying.

Personally, I use Outlook Express, mostly because I started there and I like
the way it's set up. I know a lot of people who use Forte Agent, however,
and swear by it (and Eudora Pro for their email). It's all a matter of what
you like. If you're on Internet Explorer, Outlook Express is free --
including the updates and security bulletins/fixes. If you're using
Netscape, they have something similar called Communicator, but I don't
really know much about it. Someone else may be able to help. Forte Agent and
Eudora Pro have modest charges for obtaining the software, but if that
bothers you they have free versions called Free Agent and Eudora Light. I
believe Eudora Pro offers a trial period if you want to give them a try
before investing in the software longterm.

--
Ann
"Of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." _ Dennis Miller

cvic...@my-dejanews.com

Sep 6, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/6/98
Ann Zewen wrote:

> However, the two big drawbacks to dejanews is that messages show up there on
> a delayed basis and that longer messages tend to be broken up into smaller
> submessages, both of which I find annoying.

Now this depends on your location, your Internet Service Provider, and all
the other news providers down the line between the Usenet backbone and your
ISP. I find that Dejanews's service is *DAYS* quicker than my local ISP, plus
virtually every post sent to the group shows up. This is **NOT** the case
with my local ISP, which might receive only half of the posts to a.s.c.

ISPs also don't carry every group that Dejanews does. Mine theoretically
carries a.s.c.e.m, for instance, but when you subscribe to the group you
don't get any posts.

It certainly doesn't hurt to use Dejanews as a backup in any case.

--
Charlene Vickers
Fanfic at http://users.internorth.com/~cvickers/Trek.htm

Ann Zewen

Sep 6, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/6/98
I wrote:

>> However, the two big drawbacks to dejanews is that messages show up there
on
>> a delayed basis and that longer messages tend to be broken up into
smaller
>> submessages, both of which I find annoying.

and Charlene Vickers replied:

>Now this depends on your location, your Internet Service Provider, and all
>the other news providers down the line between the Usenet backbone and your
>ISP. I find that Dejanews's service is *DAYS* quicker than my local ISP,
plus
>virtually every post sent to the group shows up. This is **NOT** the case
>with my local ISP, which might receive only half of the posts to a.s.c.
>
>ISPs also don't carry every group that Dejanews does. Mine theoretically
>carries a.s.c.e.m, for instance, but when you subscribe to the group you
>don't get any posts.
>
>It certainly doesn't hurt to use Dejanews as a backup in any case.

You're right about some newsgroups being there that aren't available through
many ISPs. I do have to resort to Dejanews if I want to read a.s.c.e.m.,
too.

However, if it's taking days for posts to show up on your ISP, you might
want to consider switching ISPs, provided you live in an area where you have
a choice of services available via local phone call. I get responses to my
posts within minutes, unless of course the responder isn't online when I
post my initial message. There'll always be delays caused by some people not
reading the groups (or all the messages) for awhile and thus replying on a
delayed basis. That's not the fault of any ISP, nor is there anything wrong
with it. But if you have a decent ISP, messages should show up within 10
minutes of being posted in most cases. I usually get them within 5, tops.
Failure to get all messages or to get them in a timely fashion was one of
the main reasons I switched from my old ISP to Mindspring. I tried using
Dejanews before making the switch, but the delays of messages not showing up
for hours there (including my own posts) made it unacceptable so far as
solving the problem.

But any ISP will have occasional technical problems that might cause you to
miss a post or two, and Dejanews is excellent for picking those up, as well
as checking old messages, threads and author profiles.

Randy Landers

Sep 6, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/6/98
Charlene Vickers says

<<This is **NOT** the case with my local ISP, which might receive only
half of the
posts to a.s.c.>>

Which is why I cancelled my account (in an rather ugly manner) at
ISOA. Although a local ISP, NONE of my posts for six months were
posted on ASC, and MOST of the posts on ASC were lost to me. Hence,
our move to Mindspring in February.

Honestly, there are still problems with the Internet, and they won't
be going away any time soon.

For example, the editor of IMZADI, our Riker/Troi zine, suddenly
stopped responding to emails to her account. We try contacting her
through her other email address, and get no response there. We _still_
don't know what happened, but she emailed me the other day asking what
was up and was completely in the dark as to why we were having trouble
reaching her through her IName and AOL accounts.

--
Randy Landers
ORION PRESS

cvic...@my-dejanews.com

Sep 6, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/6/98
Ann Zewen wrote:

> However, if it's taking days for posts to show up on your ISP, you might
> want to consider switching ISPs, provided you live in an area where you have
> a choice of services available via local phone call.

If I lived in Southern California or some other heavily populated area,
perhaps that would be an option. But I, like many people here, live in a
small community where all the ISPs get their news by necessity from one
central news server. They can't legally get news from anywhere else due to
contractual reasons with the provider of Internet service to this area. (In
other words, if they want to provide any Internet service *at all*, they have
to use that server for news as well as for WWW and email access. And there's
no other provider available. Ah, the joys of isolation.) If that server
doesn't carry a group or if some posts are lost, that's just too darn bad.

It's nice to live in the big city and have choices; but not everyone on this
list is in that position.

Charlene, living in the sub-Arctic

Ann Zewen

Sep 7, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/7/98
I wrote:

>> However, if it's taking days for posts to show up on your ISP, you might
>> want to consider switching ISPs, provided you live in an area where you
have
>> a choice of services available via local phone call.

and Charlene replied:

>If I lived in Southern California or some other heavily populated area,
>perhaps that would be an option. But I, like many people here, live in a
>small community where all the ISPs get their news by necessity from one
>central news server.

I sympathize, Charlene. I really do. But, believe me, I'm not in either
Southern California or a big city. I live in an unincorporated area outside
of Mobile, Ala., and even have to deal with the woes of going through our
local GTE phone company to get to the BellSouth lines in Mobile in order to
link up to Mindspring -- which means the connection is less than it should
be and I'm not nearly able to take advantage of the x2 modem I have. But I
*do* get onto Mindspring, and I get nearly all of the newsgroup posts (with
the exception of a few I've filtered out deliberately).

I have no idea where you live or whether you do have any other options
(while Mindspring, for example, is available throughout much of the country,
it's not accessible with a local phone call in some areas, including
possibly yours), but one possibility is if your phone service is via a major
player (any of the Bells, GTE, etc.), you might check out their web site.
Their ISP service just might be accessible from where you live. There's also
some kind of master list of ISPs that lists everything available everywhere.
I don't have the URL for that web site, but surely someone here does, and
you can check that to see what, if any, non-local services are available
with local phone call accessibility in your area. If it's a national -- or
even regional -- company, then the news service they use will not
necessarily be the same one used by local companies in your area.

You still might be stuck with the service you have (and you may well have
tried these ideas already), but if you haven't tried them, I'd recommend
that you do so. As unhappy as you seem to be with your service, it's worth
the effort.

Good luck.

R. Lerret

Sep 7, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/7/98
Ann Zewen wrote:
> Their ISP service just might be accessible from where you live. There's also
> some kind of master list of ISPs that lists everything available everywhere.
> I don't have the URL for that web site, but surely someone here does, and

I've got some URLs Charlene might want to check in between time.

http://thelist.internet.com/ (over 4800+ ISPs listed in USA and Canada)
http://www.ISPs.com/ (over 4000+ ISPs)
http://www.isp-rating.com/begin.htm (some user ratings)
http://www.ispcheck.com/ (web hosting and internet access listings)
http://www.zdnet.com/products/ispuser.html (various ISP discussion)
http://www.cnet.com/Content/Reports/Special/ISP/ (CNET's ISP guide)

--
R. Lerret, an archivist/indexer
ASC archive: http://archive.nu or http://www.jovian.net/~ascindex

Always try to do right. This will gratify some and astonish the rest.

Ann Zewen

Sep 7, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/7/98

I wrote:

>> Their ISP service just might be accessible from where you live. There's
also
>> some kind of master list of ISPs that lists everything available
everywhere.
>> I don't have the URL for that web site, but surely someone here does, and

and R.Lerret added:

>I've got some URLs Charlene might want to check in between time.
>
>http://thelist.internet.com/ (over 4800+ ISPs listed in USA and Canada)
>http://www.ISPs.com/ (over 4000+ ISPs)
>http://www.isp-rating.com/begin.htm (some user ratings)
>http://www.ispcheck.com/ (web hosting and internet access listings)
>http://www.zdnet.com/products/ispuser.html (various ISP discussion)
>http://www.cnet.com/Content/Reports/Special/ISP/ (CNET's ISP guide)

Thanks for coming up with these. I knew there was at least one list out
there, but I didn't have the URL at my fingertips, and I was sure someone
else would, thus saving both me and Charlene the effort of searching for it.

As I said, though, Charlene might already have tried this route and still
couldn't get onto anything other than a true local ISP with a local phone
call, in which case, she doesn't have many options. I know there are places
that you have to dial 1-800 numbers to access the national services like
Mindspring and AT&T and GTE -- technically making them available nationwide.
But most of the services charge exhorbitant rates for access to those 1-800
numbers(Obviously, they are concerned that people in communities with local
phone access might instead use the 1-800 numbers, thus tying up those lines
and costing them a bundle), which makes them impractical for regular use.
Even the dreaded AOL doesn't have local phone number access in every
community.

Again, I wish Charlene good luck in her neverending quest for good newsgroup
access. I know it can be a huge challenge in many areas, but I hope she
finds a way to get her messages without days-long (or even hours-long)
delays and missing posts.

zorr...@my-dejanews.com

Sep 7, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/7/98

I've been following this thread very closely. I also have horible internet
access. In fact up until two months ago, there wasn't even an access provider
where I live. I had to call long distance just to get onto the net. My local
provider, my one and only choice, does not offer e-mail or newsgroup access.
At 32.00 per month it is also outrageosly expensive.

My question is this, am I stuck using deja-news to get access to newsgroups?
I have outlook express because I use IE, but I can't connect to any
newsgroups.

Hey Charlene? You want to move to New York City with me? maybe we can access
the net then :>) (it's a Texas thing, think of the salsa commercial when you
say New York City)

I checked all of the links Diana so generousyly provided and they didn't even
have my access provider listed.

Anyone know if you can access the net using a television satellite dish? Or
is that just wishful thinking?

ZorroRojo

Ann Zewen

Sep 7, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/7/98

ZorroRojo wrote:

>I've been following this thread very closely. I also have horible internet
>access. In fact up until two months ago, there wasn't even an access
provider
>where I live. I had to call long distance just to get onto the net. My
local
>provider, my one and only choice, does not offer e-mail or newsgroup
access.
>At 32.00 per month it is also outrageosly expensive.
>
>My question is this, am I stuck using deja-news to get access to
newsgroups?
>I have outlook express because I use IE, but I can't connect to any
>newsgroups.
>
>Hey Charlene? You want to move to New York City with me? maybe we can
access
>the net then :>) (it's a Texas thing, think of the salsa commercial when
you
>say New York City)
>
>I checked all of the links Diana so generousyly provided and they didn't
even
>have my access provider listed.
>
>Anyone know if you can access the net using a television satellite dish?
Or
>is that just wishful thinking?

There *is* one other option that might be a possibility. If you don't
absolutely loathe AOL and just can't get on there either without resorting
to an 800 number, you might consider a plan they have whereby you use your
regular ISP to link onto AOL. I don't recall how much it costs, much less
than their full, single-provider service, but I don't know how it compares
with simply going with a national ISP and using the 800 number service. I
really don't recall the details, but perhaps someone else on here is using
this service and can help you.

R. Lerret

Sep 7, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/7/98
Ann Zewen wrote:
> regular ISP to link onto AOL. I don't recall how much it costs, much less
> than their full, single-provider service, but I don't know how it compares
> with simply going with a national ISP and using the 800 number service. I

Being an AOLer too. The full price for direct connection via AOLnet was
$21.95 (last I checked). AOL gives the option to connect to their
services by your own ISP (nicknamed to BYOA -Bring Your Own Access-
plan). It costs $9.95 per month, not including expenses incurred while
using your own ISP. Technically, I do have access to a local ISP which
costs $9.95/month for unlimited time with newsgroup/mail access which,
in addition with AOL's BYOA plan, would still be less than AOL's $21.95
and still unlimited time.

R. Lerret

Sep 7, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/7/98
zorr...@my-dejanews.com wrote:
> where I live. I had to call long distance just to get onto the net. My local
> provider, my one and only choice, does not offer e-mail or newsgroup access.
> At 32.00 per month it is also outrageosly expensive.

That is expensive for an ISP. Of course, an internet bill which totals
to ~$85/month isn't too pretty either but I get my money's worth (six
accounts on various services). Hmm. Good thing I'm not a
jewelry/perfume/clothes/shoes frequent shopper. <chuckle> Though, I am
going to try reclaiming $30 of it by canceling some accounts.

> My question is this, am I stuck using deja-news to get access to newsgroups?
> I have outlook express because I use IE, but I can't connect to any
> newsgroups.

Not necessarily. Spunge (http://www.spunge.org/) lists quite an
assortment of services (mail, web/FTP space, shell, mailing lists) at no
charge, including Usenet access. But this is done via shell programs
like pine, etc. and I'm not sure if they have ASCEM.
news://news.edu.sollentuna.se will allow you to read all three groups
(ASC, ASCA, ASCEM) but not post.

> Hey Charlene? You want to move to New York City with me? maybe we can access
> the net then :>) (it's a Texas thing, think of the salsa commercial when you
> say New York City)

California has quite the assortment of ISPs and conventions. <g> Too
bad Florida doesn't have the various Trek conventions geared towards fan
fiction, at least not in the Bay area. :-(

> I checked all of the links Diana so generousyly provided and they didn't even
> have my access provider listed.

Diana? Now, I see what Deanna meant about "did you want Deanna, Diana,
Dee, or Dina". <chuckle>

> Anyone know if you can access the net using a television satellite dish? Or
> is that just wishful thinking?

Not by satellite but by cable are the ones I know.

Since you only made a Texas reference and I'm not sure about your area
code, I have one general Texas link at my fingertips
http://www.east-central.k12.tx.us/echs/artdept/TAEAconference/TexasISP.html.
My sister's ex-husband was from Texas.

R. Lerret

Sep 7, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/7/98
> Re: OT: ISPs (Was Re: Accessing Newsgroups...)
> Date:
> Mon, 07 Sep 1998 13:20:14 -0400
> From:
> "R. Lerret" <sp...@earthlink.net>

Whoops. Ignore the "From:" addy. I was doing some experimenting so
that spambots wouldn't pick up/filter out the various network "abuse"
addys by cloaking it behind a free email addy. Just pestering the tech
guys there. <g>

I'm also thinking about removing those annoying pop-up menus at a
GeoCities site I started there back in 1996. There are two ways - the
free and paid. I'm going for free by including the "GeoGuide"
image--not the java one--at the top of my pages. Everytime I want to
visit a fan fiction site at GeoCities or Tripod, I take a moment to
ponder whether or not I feel like playing with the pop-up menus. In the
end, I usually go to the site. <chuckle>

Laura E. P.

Sep 7, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/7/98

R. Lerret wrote:

> > Re: OT: ISPs (Was Re: Accessing Newsgroups...)
> > Date:
> > Mon, 07 Sep 1998 13:20:14 -0400
> > From:
> > "R. Lerret" <sp...@earthlink.net>
>
> Whoops. Ignore the "From:" addy. I was doing some experimenting so
> that spambots wouldn't pick up/filter out the various network "abuse"
> addys by cloaking it behind a free email addy. Just pestering the tech
> guys there. <g>
>
> I'm also thinking about removing those annoying pop-up menus at a
> GeoCities site I started there back in 1996. There are two ways - the
> free and paid. I'm going for free by including the "GeoGuide"
> image--not the java one--at the top of my pages. Everytime I want to
> visit a fan fiction site at GeoCities or Tripod, I take a moment to
> ponder whether or not I feel like playing with the pop-up menus. In the
> end, I usually go to the site. <chuckle>

I don't have a Geocities page, but I hear that if you put the < NO SCRIPT >
(without the spaces) command three times before the < /html > command, all
the watermarks and stuff will go away.

Or so I hear. Don't take my word on that. ;-)

~LE~

> --
> R. Lerret, an archivist/indexer
> ASC archive: http://archive.nu or http://www.jovian.net/~ascindex
> Submissions: submissions~webamused.com ++ change the ~ to an @
> Corrections: rlerret~mindspring.com before replying ++
>
> Always try to do right. This will gratify some and astonish the rest.

--
Cheers!
Laura E. P. - lau...@mindless.com

Head Archivist - 'Poor Dana - the ScullyAngst Archive'
http://come.to/the_ScullyAngst_archive
Administrator - 'YouthFic' - A list for new/young XFic authors.
http://welcome.to/youthfic
Owner - 'My Visions of Sugarplums' - My personal writings.
http://fly.to/visions.of.sugarplums

Randy Landers

Sep 7, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/7/98
<<Too bad Florida doesn't have the various Trek conventions geared
towards fan
fiction, at least not in the Bay area. :-( >>

Hmm. Heard of VidCon?

Randy Landers

Sep 7, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/7/98
R. Lerret writes

<<. Everytime I want to visit a fan fiction site at GeoCities or
Tripod, I take a moment to ponder whether or not I feel like playing
with the pop-up menus. In the
end, I usually go to the site. <chuckle> >>

And, in the end, I usually don't. :) That's why I pay around $80 for
the webspace we have for our sites. I can't stand POP-UP menus, and I
can't stand banners. You won't find them on our sites anywhere. :)

I've been thinking of creating a LINKS page, but then there's the
hassle of updating those that disappear after two weeks.

Ann Zewen

Sep 7, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/7/98
R. Lerret wrote:

>California has quite the assortment of ISPs and conventions. <g> Too

>bad Florida doesn't have the various Trek conventions geared towards fan
>fiction, at least not in the Bay area. :-(

Actually, there is (or at least was) a fan fiction convention in Tampa. It's
called Vidcon, though frankly they didn't have much Trek stuff there the one
time I attended. My table had the only trek gen material, and there was a
little slash, but that was it.

Otherwise, conventions in Florida are the pits. Since my brother lives in
the St. Pete area and I could combine a convention with a visit, I've tried
attending/selling at several Vulkons, but I find them boring as conventions
and zine sales are really very, very, very poor at these conventions. The
same has been true in other Florida cities, and Atlanta is an equally bad
market for zine sales.

In fact, the only conventions where we have found sales consistently good
(other than MediaWest, which we no long attend for reasons I'd rather not
discuss) are those in Baltimore -- Shore Leave and Farpoint (previously
Oktobertrek). That's an area where they expect zines and come looking for
them -- straight and slash. And sales are always excellent; therefore, we
always take a good selection for sale. If you are ever able to travel away
from your home state for a con, I highly recommend going to Baltimore. Shore
Leave, in particular, is a favorite of mine, but that's mostly because so
many of my friends attend that one so in addition to zine sales and
excellent programming, we have one big weekend-long party.

R. Lerret

Sep 7, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/7/98
Ann Zewen wrote:
> Actually, there is (or at least was) a fan fiction convention in Tampa. It's
> called Vidcon, though frankly they didn't have much Trek stuff there the one
> time I attended. My table had the only trek gen material, and there was a
> little slash, but that was it.

And people wonder why I'm a bit envious of those who mention they've
been to this and that and another convention in their area. <chuckle>
For me, getting time away from work is a project of planning onto
itself, not including the travel reservations. Our department has
different rules for taking vacations and I haven't gotten a vacation
away from work in years (maybe '93 was the last). Though, I was
thinking of Shore Leave and/or Friscon for next year. I'm leaning more
towards the latter but just seeing one of them would be great! :-)
Something to plan over and save for the next number of months. Mmm. <g>

Randy Landers

Sep 7, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/7/98
I would disagree with Ann regarding Florida and Georgia as con sites.
I've found it's the guest that draws the folks, even those who buy
zines. When Patrick Stewart did a VulKon in Atlanta, we sold 300
zines. When Gates McFadden did a VulKon in Orlando, we sold 150 zines.
Both of these are EXCEPTIONS rather than the rule. For example, we did
Orlando in March with Tim Russ as the GoH and sold 20 zines, and we
did Atlanta in March last year and sold 40 zines. I also did a
DragonFireCon in Ft. Myers with John DeLancie as a guest and sold 20
zines.

Other than Shore Leave, I've not found consistent sales anywhere else.

R. Lerret

Sep 7, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/7/98
Randy Landers wrote:
> R. Lerret writes
> <<. Everytime I want to visit a fan fiction site at GeoCities or
> Tripod, I take a moment to ponder whether or not I feel like playing
> with the pop-up menus. In the
> end, I usually go to the site. <chuckle> >>
>
> And, in the end, I usually don't. :) That's why I pay around $80 for
> the webspace we have for our sites. I can't stand POP-UP menus, and I
> can't stand banners. You won't find them on our sites anywhere. :)

<chuckle> I do believe you aren't the only one to avoid those type of
sites. I'm not a person into banners and I *really* dislike those
pop-up menus. I could move the pages just as easily since I know many
free web page sites but it's just a simple hobby page--one which I'd
like no pop-ups on. ;-)

I just caught this post and Laura's when I switched over to MindSpring's
newsfeed. I'll probably see them roll in on EarthLink Sprint later (or
much later <g>).

cvic...@my-dejanews.com

Sep 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/8/98
In article <6t0kgg$n3k$1...@nnrp1.dejanews.com>,
zorr...@my-dejanews.com wrote:

> Hey Charlene? You want to move to New York City with me? maybe we can access
> the net then :>)

Let's see. Yellowknife v. New York

Yellowknife: a single woman can walk the streets alone at midnight safely
New York: "How much for the Beretta?"

Yellowknife: clean, fresh air
New York: clean, fresh auto fumes

Yellowknife: the Northern Lights in winter, the midnight sun in summer
New York: children are amazed to learn that Con Ed doesn't switch off
the sun at night

Yellowknife: no Donald Trump
New York: sorry, can't think of anything to equal that

Of course, there is:

New York: lots of ISPs, women's clothing stores, good restaurants,
fresh fruit and vegetables, shoe stores, even sex shops
Yellowknife: Wal-Mart

Raku2u

Sep 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/8/98
Re service providers: pretty often folks get around to slamming AOL in
discussions like this, and heaven knows I've had a few trials with them. For
what it's worth I use a robust, grown-up ISP at work so I have an easy means of
comparison. However, I've found it generally adequate for needs both
treksmuttish and otherwise (technically AOL is a "content provider" since it
has stuff beyond email and Usenet--it's not just a connector to the net).

Whether AOL works seems to depend greatly on where you are. Questions include
how many local dial-up numbers there are, the newness of the telephone
infrastructure, and of course the kind of computer the user is using. Me, I
virtually never have trouble connecting to AOL, we have clean lines locally,
and they've never booted me off when I've been up- or down-loading big files
(these are all common complaints). I've also found their tech support to be
really pretty decent, which surprised me. I live in a medium-sized urban area,
nothing flashy.

So--it's not a perfect solution (no ISP is), but it might work for some of
those who are having trouble with their current source. It does, by the way,
support ASCEM, but you have to add it by name under "Expert Add." Presumably
if you're reading this you already know that...

raku, giving AOL a solid B+

--------------
Kirk: I could use a shower.
Spock: Yes.

mail me at rak...@aol.com
raku-ish stories at http://members.aol.com/Raku2u/index.html
--------------

Biffan

Sep 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/8/98
Randy said:

><<Too bad Florida doesn't have the various Trek conventions geared
>towards fan
>fiction, at least not in the Bay area. :-( >>
>

>Hmm. Heard of VidCon?

Yeah. Went. Spent about 45 minutes there. Spent more time at the University
Mall. About 30 people there, 1 track of programming, a dealer's room that was
more than half gaming (the con was split half VidCon, half a gaming
convention), one table with zines (as an Orphan Zine table that Deb ran most of
the day!). Not really worth the 1 1/2 hour drive each way. MediaWest or
Eclecticon, it ain't.

I'd love a Shore Leave in Florida.

Randy Landers

Sep 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/8/98
Hmm. We were there for two years. We gave up because of a ten hour
drive each way for sales of only 30 zines.

<<MediaWest or Eclecticon, it ain't. I'd love a Shore Leave in
Florida.>>

Pity we can't convince VulKon to create a special fanzine rate and
fanzine dealers room. I can't afford what they're charging for a table
these days.

Looks like there's going to be a zine con next summer in Cincinnati.
Joy and Jane of The New Monthly are beginning the process. Looks like
ORION PRESS will have a DEFINITE presence there, even if I have to
pack up the minivan, the doobies and the wife and drive all the way
myself. :)

Randy Landers
ORION PRESS

-------

For 11MB of quality Classic Trek fan fiction, go to:
http://www.mindspring.com/~randylanders/archives/oaindex.html

For 3MB of quality Next Gen fan fiction, go to:
http://www.mindspring.com/~lindamarcusky/eridani/index.html

For 1MB of quality Deep Space 9 fan fiction, go to:
http://www.fastcopyinc.com/orionpress/outpost/index.html

Ann Zewen

Sep 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/9/98
Randy Landers wrote:

>Looks like there's going to be a zine con next summer in Cincinnati.
>Joy and Jane of The New Monthly are beginning the process. Looks like
>ORION PRESS will have a DEFINITE presence there, even if I have to
>pack up the minivan, the doobies and the wife and drive all the way
>myself. :)

Great idea, Randy. But if you do that and skip Shore Leave yet again, you're
going to have a bunch of contributors hopping mad at you. Some of them are
already demanding to know whether you really exist or if I've made you up.
;-)

Laura Taylor

Sep 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/9/98
Ann Zewen wrote:

> Great idea, Randy. But if you do that and skip Shore Leave yet again, you're
> going to have a bunch of contributors hopping mad at you. Some of them are
> already demanding to know whether you really exist or if I've made you up.
> ;-)

You mean that really isn't the sword of Damocles hanging over my head,
just a really ominous Randy-shaped shadow? Wunderbar! Does this mean I
can slough off my editing chores? ;-)

Laura, starting to stress out <G>
--
=====

You know you're in for a long weekend when your child runs up and down
the street, yelling at the top of his lungs, "Monsters, everybody!
They're all around us and they're going to smoosh us like bugs and eat
us up! Look out for the monsters! Aieeee!"

Randy Landers

Sep 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/9/98
<<Great idea, Randy. But if you do that and skip Shore Leave yet
again, you're
going to have a bunch of contributors hopping mad at you. Some of them
are
already demanding to know whether you really exist or if I've made you
up. ;-) >>

Uh-oh. Well, I'll let you field the complaints. :)

Randy Landers

Sep 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/9/98
<<You mean that really isn't the sword of Damocles hanging over my
head,
just a really ominous Randy-shaped shadow? Wunderbar! Does this mean I
can slough off my editing chores? ;-)

Laura, starting to stress out >>

What sword?

BTW... Is the zine ready yet?

Laura Taylor

Sep 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/10/98
Randy Landers wrote:

> <<You mean that really isn't the sword of Damocles hanging over my
> head,
> just a really ominous Randy-shaped shadow? Wunderbar! Does this mean I
> can slough off my editing chores? ;-)

> What sword?

> BTW... Is the zine ready yet?

Umm...what 'zine? ;-)