Kirk and Spock--The Full Monty

Butl...@aol.com

Jun 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/2/98

From:
Butl...@aol.com
Date:
Sun, 31 May 1998 21:34:03 EDT
To:
as...@earthlink.net
Subject:
Kirk and Spock--The Full Monty

Hello to all you folks on ascem.

I'm Shelley Butler, and I've been lurking here for a while. I do K/S
art for
zines, and I adore K/S and everything about it!

I understand there have been some TSU lectures here recently about the
history
of K/S zine fandom, and I thought I'd add a short lecture on art in K/S
zines.
I'd like to explain about art in K/S, and show some of you out there
who may
not be familiar with zines or the artwork associated with them, an
example of
what the art looks like.

One of the big selling points about zines throughout the past like
20-some
years has been the artwork in them. In the "olden" days, before VCRs and
readily available episode tapes, the artists had only their imagination,
memory and a stray photo or two, to use as source material to draw Kirk
and
Spock in all their compromising positions.

Sometimes it was very, very sucessful---as in the art of Gayle Feyrer,
Southern Cross, Pat Stall or Marilyn Cole, DEW and a number of others.
The
drawings of these women are guaranteed to take your breath away.
Othertimes,
it was not so successful. You couldn't tell your Kirk from your any
other
human male, and you could tell your Spock, but only because of the ears
(and
maybe the double ridges!).

But although these artists may have been short on the source material
or even
the talent, they were long, long, long on love for K/S, and it comes
through
loud and clear. The old zines were often filled with art of all kinds,
and
even photos (pre-Paramount suing-the- pants-off-of-you-days), and
adorned with
beautiful graphics, borders and typefaces. Some of those zine are really
gorgeous. Often we would buy a zine just because of its cover.

Today, we have way fewer zines and way fewer artists. But new zines
usually
have a fair amount of artwork inside them, and usually a dynamite
cover. Robin
Hood of Merry Men Press zines does a front (g-rated) cover and a
matching back
(explicit) cover. (You can also still collect the old zines, if you
hunt at
cons and such.)

Somehow, the interpretation of Kirk and Spock together in artwork
really fuels
the imagination more than any photograph---there's a powerful emotion
behind
every drawing! And there aren't any photos of them in some of the
situations
we put them in!!

Anyway, there's a whole world of zines and zine art out there and if
you'd
like a taste of what you might find in a zine, you can look at this web
page
that Killashandra so kindly put up for me.
http://members.aol.com/KILLASDRA/BUTLER.html

If you want to know more about how to write for, draw for, or buy K/S
zines,
please write to Kim...@aol.com. Kim has agreed to field requests for
information.

Thanks a lot for letting me do a little adjunct lecture. I'm thrilled
to see
so many new K/S fans online, and I hope to see some of you over here in
the
zine world as well.

Shelley

Kim...@aol.com

Jun 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/2/98

Re: Kirk and Spock--The Full Monty
Date:
Tue, 2 Jun 1998 01:37:54 EDT
From:
Kim...@aol.com
To:
as...@earthlink.net

Hey everybody,

Apparently at least some browsers are Case Sensitive. So if you want to
see the piece of art Shelley mentions in her post, this is the exact address:

http://members.aol.com/Killasdra/Butler.html

Thanks,
Kimbuk3

Kill...@aol.com

Jun 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/2/98

Re: Kirk and Spock--The Full Monty
Date:
Tue, 2 Jun 1998 08:50:43 EDT
From:
Kill...@aol.com
To:
as...@earthlink.net

Oops, Shelley's new to the web and I neglected to
tell her that when you type in web site URL's, case
matters. The correct URL for the K/S art page is:

http://members.aol.com/Killasdra/Butler.html

Thanks guys!
Killa

Susan Farnham