OT Recording industry on attack

s_knight8

Jul 19, 2003, 12:48:37 PM7/19/03
http://www.boston.com/dailyglobe2/200/business/Recording_industry_on_attack+.shtml

The recording industry, following through on its promise to take legal
action against ordinary computer users who share music on the
Internet, is filing hundreds of subpoenas, demanding the names and
addresses of copyright violators from Internet service providers.

At least 871 subpoenas have been issued since the industry began its
campaign last month, according to a review of court records conducted
by the Associated Press.

The subpoenas do not appear to be aimed just at high-profile users who
share hundreds of megabytes of music. Several of the documents, which
the Recording Industry Assocation of America has filed by the boxload
in US District Court in Washington, demand information about casual
users who are accused of sharing only a few files.

The association, in a statement last night, said it was merely
following through on a warning it had issued June 25 in announcing the
crackdown.

''This should not surprise anyone,'' spokeswoman Amy Weiss said in the
statement. ''Filing information subpoenas is part of the evidence
gathering process . . . in anticipation of the lawsuits that we will
be filing.''

In subpoenas it sent to Boston College, for example, the association
is requesting information about two users of the school's network who
use the screen names ''Prtythug23'' and ''TheLastReal7'' to share
music over the Internet file-sharing network KaZaA. In the subpoena,
the association cites several songs it alleges were being shared,
including rap artist Snoop Dogg's ''Lay Low'' and pop singer Avril
Lavigne's ''Complicated.''

''It sets up a situation where your privacy can be violated on the
mere unsubstantiated allegation that you've done something wrong,''
said Cindy Cohn, legal director of the Electronic Frontier Foundation
in San Francisco. The leading electronic privacy organization, it
sponsors a website that provides users with advice about how to fight
the subpoenas.

''We think it's terrible that the entertainment companies appear
willing to violate the privacy of thousands of people,'' Cohn said.
''Given the scale of this, it's highly likely that there will be
errors.''

Verizon, which said yesterday that it was ''in the process of
complying'' with about 150 of the recording industry association's
requests, has unsuccessfully challenged the law in court. A US
District Court judge ruled in January that the subpoenas do not
require a judge's signature, paving the way for the flood of requests,
which has overwhelmed the court and forced it to reassign clerks who
usually handle other types of cases, according to the Associated
Press.

''This has opened up a window for the RIAA and other organizations to
launch a blizzard of subpoenas,'' said a Verizon spokesman, Larry
Plumb. The company is complying with the ruling while pursuing an
appeal.

Under US copyright law, the association could seek damages of $750 to
$150,000 for each song shared illegally. A spokeswoman would not say
yesterday how many subpoenas the organization plans to file, or
whether it would press for the full amount in penalties.

bryan K

Jul 19, 2003, 6:49:11 PM7/19/03

"s_knight8" <s_kn...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

http://www.boston.com/dailyglobe2/200/business/Recording_industry_on_attack+

.shtml

> The recording industry, following through on its promise to take legal
> action against ordinary computer users who share music on the
> Internet, is filing hundreds of subpoenas, demanding the names and
> addresses of copyright violators from Internet service providers.

Ordinary computer users who share music on the internet are committing
crimes. Ignorance is no excuse for delinquancy.

> At least 871 subpoenas have been issued since the industry began its
> campaign last month, according to a review of court records conducted
> by the Associated Press.

Is that all? That should account for about 1% of the users in my city who
share music over the internet illegally.

> The subpoenas do not appear to be aimed just at high-profile users who
> share hundreds of megabytes of music. Several of the documents, which
> the Recording Industry Assocation of America has filed by the boxload
> in US District Court in Washington, demand information about casual
> users who are accused of sharing only a few files.

Like I've said for years....stay away from Kazaa, Morpheus, and Napster.

> The association, in a statement last night, said it was merely
> following through on a warning it had issued June 25 in announcing the
> crackdown.
>
> ''This should not surprise anyone,'' spokeswoman Amy Weiss said in the
> statement.

It surprises me that it has taken so long.

> ''Filing information subpoenas is part of the evidence
> gathering process . . . in anticipation of the lawsuits that we will
> be filing.''
>
> In subpoenas it sent to Boston College, for example, the association
> is requesting information about two users of the school's network who
> use the screen names ''Prtythug23'' and ''TheLastReal7'' to share
> music over the Internet file-sharing network KaZaA. In the subpoena,
> the association cites several songs it alleges were being shared,
> including rap artist Snoop Dogg's ''Lay Low'' and pop singer Avril
> Lavigne's ''Complicated.''
>

> ''It sets up a situation where your privacy can be violated on the
> mere unsubstantiated allegation that you've done something wrong,''

Unfortunately, enough proof to stand up in court for anyone who has ever
shared a file illegally over Kazaa.

> said Cindy Cohn, legal director of the Electronic Frontier Foundation
> in San Francisco. The leading electronic privacy organization, it
> sponsors a website that provides users with advice about how to fight
> the subpoenas.
>
> ''We think it's terrible that the entertainment companies appear
> willing to violate the privacy of thousands of people,''

Sounds to me like probable cause to search. Uploading material on the
internet is not private. Whe copyrighted material is found on the internet,
the owner of that material has the right to use the information available to
find out where that material came from. This material is always traceable
to an ISP. So, basically, what we have is an authority having possession of
confiscated, illegal material and an ISP who is witholding information about
where that material came from. Sounds to me like the RIAA has a pretty good
case to obtain that information. Privacy nothing.

>Cohn said.
> ''Given the scale of this, it's highly likely that there will be
> errors.''

I'd like to hear some elaboration on this. What kind of errors? Like
Verizon could be billing the wrong person for an ISP account? Like people
not taking responsibility for their ISP accounts by monitoring every person
who uses it?

> Verizon, which said yesterday that it was ''in the process of
> complying'' with about 150 of the recording industry association's
> requests, has unsuccessfully challenged the law in court. A US
> District Court judge ruled in January that the subpoenas do not
> require a judge's signature, paving the way for the flood of requests,
> which has overwhelmed the court and forced it to reassign clerks who
> usually handle other types of cases, according to the Associated
> Press.

The reason these subpeona's don't require a judge's signature is simply
because it is so obvious who is witholding information.

> ''This has opened up a window for the RIAA and other organizations to
> launch a blizzard of subpoenas,'' said a Verizon spokesman, Larry
> Plumb. The company is complying with the ruling while pursuing an
> appeal.

And the customers get ripped off either way.

> Under US copyright law, the association could seek damages of $750 to
> $150,000 for each song shared illegally. A spokeswoman would not say
> yesterday how many subpoenas the organization plans to file, or
> whether it would press for the full amount in penalties.

$150,000 sounds a bit extreme for one song. However, someone who has a
collection of hundreds of gigs of music which he actively shares with anyone
and everyone deserves to get a minimum of 20 years.

Trevor Zion Bauknight

Jul 19, 2003, 10:07:00 PM7/19/03
In article <vhjilvp...@corp.supernews.com>,
"bryan K" <webmaste...@cableone.net> wrote:

> > The recording industry, following through on its promise to take legal
> > action against ordinary computer users who share music on the
> > Internet, is filing hundreds of subpoenas, demanding the names and
> > addresses of copyright violators from Internet service providers.
>
> Ordinary computer users who share music on the internet are committing
> crimes. Ignorance is no excuse for delinquancy.

I assure you, however, that I have dozens and dozens of CDs full of live
recorded music (recorded with the band's encouragement) that the RIAA
can't tell from the store-bought crap they peddle. Your blanket
statement, therefore, is absurd.

--
Trev

"Hypotheses are initially assumed false, by definition. Science is about
proving them true." - Daniel Seriff

JWC

Jul 19, 2003, 10:22:26 PM7/19/03
This will boil down to the word "proprietary". They say when you buy
music or software it can never be yours to do with as you please.This
concept was started by Bill Gates and it needs to be dealt with by the
Supreme Court.

Blozak

Jul 20, 2003, 12:05:38 AM7/20/03
Why would they go after KaZaA users when people are posting whole CDs
on the usenet?

C The Shocker

Jul 20, 2003, 12:29:47 AM7/20/03
"Blozak" <nob...@home.com> wrote in message

> Why would they go after KaZaA users when people are posting whole CDs
> on the usenet?

Easy targets.

--
C The Shocker - B.O.B. Member #6
Shoutcast Server: http://chrispdx.audio-stream.net:8000
#5 on Lvubun's Top 100 Posters of RSPW 11/5/2002
RSPW World Cyber-Weight Champion

Haran Shivanan

Jul 20, 2003, 4:25:43 AM7/20/03
bryan K wrote:

> "s_knight8" <s_kn...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>
> http://www.boston.com/dailyglobe2/200/business/Recording_industry_on_attack+
> .shtml
>>
>> The recording industry, following through on its promise to take legal
>> action against ordinary computer users who share music on the
>> Internet, is filing hundreds of subpoenas, demanding the names and
>> addresses of copyright violators from Internet service providers.
>
> Ordinary computer users who share music on the internet are committing
> crimes. Ignorance is no excuse for delinquancy.
Maybe file sharing does constitute piracy of music, but who are the
real pirates here?

Have you seen the RIAA licensing terms? They're a total joke.
If they think they can get everyone to abide by their ridiculous rules,
they better re-evaluate their strategy. Brute-force, mass issuing of
subpoenas is not going to solve their problems.

> $150,000 sounds a bit extreme for one song. However, someone who has a
> collection of hundreds of gigs of music which he actively shares with anyone
> and everyone deserves to get a minimum of 20 years.

You do realize that the RIAA stands more to lose from file sharing than
the actual artists they represent, don't you?

This sounds a lot like the half-assed lawsuits being handed out by the dozen
by DirecTV.
--
"Whosoever would give up essential liberty to obtain temporary safety
deserves neither liberty nor safety"-Benjamin Franklin

sw...@yahoo.com

Jul 20, 2003, 5:48:29 AM7/20/03
On Sun, 20 Jul 2003 04:05:38 GMT, Blozak <nob...@home.com> wrote:

>Why would they go after KaZaA users when people are posting whole CDs
>on the usenet?

Because any 'tard can manage to download stuff off of Kazaa.

Tonawanda Kardex

Jul 20, 2003, 12:30:41 PM7/20/03
On 7/19/03 3:49 PM, in article vhjilvp...@corp.supernews.com, "bryan K"
<webmaste...@cableone.net> contributed to the U.S. Constitution in the
midst of saying:

"Deserves"? Who are you, the morality police? Get real.

The big abuser at Princeton or wherever it was got off with no jail time and
$15K fine. Wake up, pussy.

Tonawanda Kardex

Jul 20, 2003, 12:36:31 PM7/20/03
On 7/20/03 2:48 AM, in article 48pkhvo70s10tdboo...@4ax.com,
"sw...@yahoo.com" <sw...@yahoo.com> contributed to the U.S. Constitution in
the midst of saying:

> On Sun, 20 Jul 2003 04:05:38 GMT, Blozak <nob...@home.com> wrote:

Except us Mactards.

Dennis

Jul 20, 2003, 1:47:41 PM7/20/03
Tonawanda Kardex <firstnam...@komkast.nett> startled small

just don't drink Jobs's Kool Aid M'KAY??

"education is the progressive discovery of our own ignorance" --Will Durant
"people who read the tabloids deserve to be lied to " Jerry Seinfeld
"if we don't have a sense of humor, we can't have a sense of perspective --Wayne Thiboux

Trevor Zion Bauknight

Jul 20, 2003, 5:02:57 PM7/20/03
In article <BB40131D.59445%firstnam...@komkast.nett>,
Tonawanda Kardex <firstnam...@komkast.nett> wrote:

> >> Why would they go after KaZaA users when people are posting whole CDs
> >> on the usenet?
> >>

> > Because any 'tard can manage to download stuff off of Kazaa.
>
> Except us Mactards.

Neo.

bryan K

Jul 20, 2003, 5:29:15 PM7/20/03

"Tonawanda Kardex" <firstnam...@komkast.nett> wrote in message

Dude. If you have over a hundred gigs of "free" music on your hard drive,
that constitutes grand theft.

rich hammett

Jul 21, 2003, 2:10:57 PM7/21/03
In rec.sport.football.college bryan K <webmaste...@cableone.net> sanoi, hitaasti kuin hämähäkki:

> "s_knight8" <s_kn...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>
> http://www.boston.com/dailyglobe2/200/business/Recording_industry_on_attack+
> .shtml
>>
>> The recording industry, following through on its promise to take legal
>> action against ordinary computer users who share music on the
>> Internet, is filing hundreds of subpoenas, demanding the names and
>> addresses of copyright violators from Internet service providers.

> Ordinary computer users who share music on the internet are committing
> crimes. Ignorance is no excuse for delinquancy.

(Hollywood AP)--July 22, 2004

RIAA WINS NEW CASE

The RIAA has won the power to search homes and read diaries
in a minor court case today over the latest Music Enforcement
Laws.

"We've known people were stealing form us for years, and we've
finally gotten the power to get these people off the street,
where they are probably supporting Al Qaeda anyway," said
RIAA spokesman Van Shyster.

The targets of this new search-and-siezure power are usually
teenage or twenty-something young men, who make so-called
"mix tapes" for their girlfriends.

"It says right on the CD covers, "ALL RIGHTS RESERVED." It
doesn't say "All rights reserved except for you lovesick
morons who think the Law Doesn't Apply To You, "" continued
Mr. Shyster. "These people are stealing trillions of dollars
every year from us, er, I mean hardworking artists."

Law and order advocate Bryan K added, "Hell yeah! I don't think
the mandatory 25-year term is long enough for these basturds who
are supporting terrorism and stuff." Mr. K was promptly arrested
and convicted under the new "quik-e-trial" provision of the statute,
when it was discovered he had once photocopied the cover of a CD
when his mother asked what to get his brother for Christmas. No
decision has been made as to charges against his mother.

-----

[I don't share music myself. I think many users are stealing.
But the RIAA's enforcement model is just as screwed up as the
music industry's current business model. It's only going to
kill their own business, and hurt a lot of average people in
the process. The movie industry is about to do the same thing...]

rich

--
-to reply, it's hot not warm

Tonawanda Kardex

Jul 21, 2003, 7:45:18 PM7/21/03
On 7/20/03 2:29 PM, in article vhm2dbe...@corp.supernews.com, "bryan K"

And no one is going to get *convicted* of that for having "free" music on
their hard drives.