NBC pays for the snub

Gary S. Simon

Apr 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/24/98

NBC chose to televise the Spurs and Suns on Saturday, and leave the
Rockets and Jazz for TNT. I'll bet they're kicking themselves now.

Shredder

Apr 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/25/98

Yes, especially since it looks like Rex Chapman will sit out Game 2 for the
Suns. No last-second turnaround rainbow 30-footers to tie the game here.
But plenty of George McCloud and David Robinson dribbling the ball off their
legs and out of bounds.

Texizz

Apr 29, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/29/98

NBC always discriminates against the Rockets. I wonder if it is just
prejudiced or is it influenced by advertisers, such as Nike.

Shredder

Apr 29, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/29/98

NBC discriminate against Barkley? You must be high....

Antony Parsons

Apr 29, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/29/98

On 29 Apr 1998, Texizz wrote:
> NBC always discriminates against the Rockets.

The "New York-Bulls-Charles" network? Based on not picking up one game?
In a series that many thought would be a sweep? Probably not.

> I wonder if it is just prejudiced or is it influenced by
> advertisers, such as Nike.

It probably has something to do with the UN, although I can't
prove it. Or Ahmad Rashad.

Antony

Texizz

Apr 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/30/98

No, based on about 10 years of history of playoff coverage by NBC and all
eastern-based media. Remember Sports Illustrated in '94?. I've even discussed
this matter with NBC sports executives in 1994 and 1995. They think Houston is
a 2nd rate team and sports town.

Antony Parsons

Apr 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/30/98

But it's not 1994 anymore. I would assume that NBC decided which games
they were going to carry before the Rockets took the 1-0 lead. Why
would they *not* want to snub the #8 seed? The team with the worst
record of all those who made the playoffs? If anybody should be upset,
it should be the Jazz fans--this year, they're the ones with a legitimate
beef against NBC, IMO.

Antony

Texizz

May 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/1/98

It's not '94, but things haven't really changed that much. You are correct
about the Jazz fans having the right to be upset, just like the fans of most
western teams. The news media is biased toward the "glamour" teams, like the
Bulls, Knicks, Lakers, etc. This is certainly nothing new, but it certainly is
just as prevalent today as in past years.

Antony Parsons

May 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/1/98

On 1 May 1998, Texizz wrote:
> It's not '94, but things haven't really changed that much.

In some ways they have, in other ways they have not.

The Rockets in 94 were the #2 seed. Obviously, that has changed.
What has not changed is that the #1 vs. #8 games don't get much airplay,
unless the Bulls are involved. Back in 94, was the Seattle/Denver
series on NBC before game 5? I don't remember for sure, but I
don't think it was, and that was a more historic/unexpected series
than this one is.

Antony