Kenny Rogers

HamNCheese

Oct 2, 2006, 4:16:31 AM10/2/06
comes into an extra inning pressure game in relief and blows the game.
Sound familiar, anyone?

Luther Root

Oct 2, 2006, 4:36:33 AM10/2/06

HamNCheese wrote:
> comes into an extra inning pressure game in relief and blows the game.
> Sound familiar, anyone?

They don't call him The Gambler for nothing.

~LR

Chris ®

Oct 2, 2006, 7:18:45 AM10/2/06
>comes into an extra inning pressure game
>in relief and blows the game. Sound
>familiar, anyone?

Issues a bases-loaded walk to boot. Die, scumbag, die.

--
"Whatever you do, don't stick your head in the oven" - Keith Hernandez,
on how to end a batting slump

Message has been deleted

Alice Faber

Oct 2, 2006, 12:33:12 PM10/2/06
In article <8ue2i2h7i0f71j9mr...@4ax.com>,
TPFKARUL ® <still...@googlelaw.net> wrote:

> On Mon, 2 Oct 2006 07:18:45 -0400, headban...@webtv.net (Chris ®)
> wrote:
>
> >>comes into an extra inning pressure game
> >>in relief and blows the game. Sound
> >>familiar, anyone?
>
> >Issues a bases-loaded walk to boot. Die, scumbag, die.
>

> And a pox upon the idiot manager who needlessly put him in that
> position in the first place.

Just goes to show that you can't teach an old pitcher new tricks...

--
"If you love the Rangers set them free; if they win, they're yours, if
they don't they never were...."

TMP

Oct 2, 2006, 2:37:47 PM10/2/06
Alice Faber wrote:
> In article <8ue2i2h7i0f71j9mr...@4ax.com>,
> TPFKARUL ® <still...@googlelaw.net> wrote:

>>> Issues a bases-loaded walk to boot. Die, scumbag, die.
>> And a pox upon the idiot manager who needlessly put him in that
>> position in the first place.
>
> Just goes to show that you can't teach an old pitcher new tricks...

You have to admit, he's extremely "consistent" in pressure situations...

Chris ®

Oct 2, 2006, 3:23:39 PM10/2/06
>And a pox upon the idiot manager who
>needlessly put him in that position in the
>first place.

I choose to aim all my hatred at Rogers. His "pitch around" of Andruw
Jones in game 6 of the '99 NLCS was the last Met moment my father got to
witness before he passed away in February, 2000. I hate him. I fucking
HATE him!

Message has been deleted

Luther Root

Oct 2, 2006, 10:00:42 PM10/2/06

Chris ® wrote:
> >And a pox upon the idiot manager who
> >needlessly put him in that position in the
> >first place.
>
> I choose to aim all my hatred at Rogers. His "pitch around" of Andruw
> Jones in game 6 of the '99 NLCS was the last Met moment my father got to
> witness before he passed away in February, 2000. I hate him. I fucking
> HATE him!

That particular day invokes terrible memories for me too.

~LR

Luther Root

Oct 2, 2006, 10:15:59 PM10/2/06

TPFKARUL ® wrote:
> On Mon, 2 Oct 2006 07:18:45 -0400, headban...@webtv.net (Chris ®)
> wrote:
>
> >>comes into an extra inning pressure game
> >>in relief and blows the game. Sound
> >>familiar, anyone?
>
> >Issues a bases-loaded walk to boot. Die, scumbag, die.
>
> And a pox upon the idiot manager who needlessly put him in that
> position in the first place.

You can't attribute blame on the Genius in that game -- remember Fat Al
couldn't get out of the first (iirc, he didn't record a single out).

Rogers had no excuse -- he had only pitched 2 innings in relief two
days before. The only other feasible option in that situation was Dotel
who had pitched 3 innings over the same time or Yoshii who had also
pitched 3. Reed would have started Game 7.

~LR
That was not a good day.

Message has been deleted

Larry Jer

Oct 3, 2006, 1:09:24 AM10/3/06
On Tue, 03 Oct 2006 04:44:56 GMT, TPFKARUL ®
<still...@googlelaw.net> wrote:

>On 2 Oct 2006 19:15:59 -0700, "Luther Root" <Luthe...@gmail.com>
>wrote:

>Just for the record, my issue with Wile E wasn't over his decision to
>bring Rogers into the game, but rather with his questionable strategy
>of intentionally walking the bases full, effectively leaving his
>pitcher with no margin for error. With one out and a runner at
>third, bringing the infield in would have been the better choice.

Managers do that all the time, walking the bases full so they have a
force at every base and depending on where and how the ball is hit,
the chance to turn a double play. The blame should all go on Rogers
for not simply putting the ball over the plate.

Luther Root

Oct 3, 2006, 3:45:37 AM10/3/06

TPFKARUL ® wrote:
> Just for the record, my issue with Wile E wasn't over his decision to
> bring Rogers into the game, but rather with his questionable strategy
> of intentionally walking the bases full, effectively leaving his
> pitcher with no margin for error. With one out and a runner at
> third, bringing the infield in would have been the better choice.

I just double-checked the box score; I always believed Rogers only
intentional walked the first hitter he faced (perhaps a repressed
memory of a traumatic experience). However, you are correct 2 IBBs are
attributed to Rogers. The Genius at his best.

~LR

Luther Root

Oct 3, 2006, 4:23:04 AM10/3/06

Larry Jer wrote:
> Managers do that all the time, walking the bases full so they have a
> force at every base and depending on where and how the ball is hit,
> the chance to turn a double play. The blame should all go on Rogers
> for not simply putting the ball over the plate.

Actually, no. Barry's rebuke is well-justified. The most common double
play is turned at 2nd and 1st, because the hitter gets no lead. With
one out, had Rogers only intentionally walked the first hitter, they
still had a chance of ending the inning through a double play.

Even if they couldn't turn the double play, the fielder checks the
runner at 3rd and goes for the out at 1st; then you have runners on 2nd
& 3rd with 2 outs.

In short, it was a bonehead move; just don't do things like that at the
bottom of an extra innings game when you're facing elimination.

~LR

Message has been deleted

Chris ®

Oct 3, 2006, 5:25:29 PM10/3/06
>Just for the record, my issue with Wile E
>wasn't over his decision to bring Rogers
>into the game, but rather with his
>questionable strategy of intentionally
>walking the bases full, effectively leaving
>his pitcher with no margin for error.

The strategy was sound, just not for the pitcher Valentine brought in.
We all saw it. Bases loaded, one out, and the season on the line. He
_still_ nibbled, and nibbled, and nibbled some more until nothing of the
season was left on the plate. I'd have been somewhat less upset had
Rogers given up a grand slam than that damned walk.

Luther Root

Oct 4, 2006, 3:27:09 AM10/4/06

Chris ® wrote:
> >Just for the record, my issue with Wile E
> >wasn't over his decision to bring Rogers
> >into the game, but rather with his
> >questionable strategy of intentionally
> >walking the bases full, effectively leaving
> >his pitcher with no margin for error.
>
> The strategy was sound, just not for the pitcher Valentine brought in.
> We all saw it. Bases loaded, one out, and the season on the line.

The strategy is not sound in the circumstances because
(1) The Mets were not the home team and therefore would not receive
another AB. If they were, at least they could have had a chance to tie
the ballgame again.
(2) With one out and 2nd base vacant, they still could have ended the
inning with a double play without necessarily getting the force play at
home plate.

~LR

Good Morning Mongolia

Oct 6, 2006, 11:02:14 PM10/6/06