Suggested Reading

Ken Koellner

Oct 7, 1991, 11:11:25 AM10/7/91

I am going on vacation Friday. I would like to find some
slackful reading for the flight out-a-here. Any suggestions?

Also, I live in Worcester, MA. Does anyone know of any
bookstores in that area where I can find some slackful books? I don't
have time to drive to Boston or anything like that. Besides, IMHO
Worcester has much more slack than Boston. (Hey that's just my
opinion so don't get bent or die.)

-Ken Koellner (k...@sw.stratus.com)
Disclaimer: The above writings are the ramblings of one human being
and have nothing what-so-ever to do with Stratus Computer Inc.

Brent

Oct 8, 1991, 8:43:20 PM10/8/91
k...@alta.sw.stratus.com (Ken Koellner) writes:

> I am going on vacation Friday. I would like to find some
>slackful reading for the flight out-a-here. Any suggestions?

Sure, you be the judge. Send me $20 for my suggestions...

1) The Bible(tm)

2) Analytic Geometry and Calculus (C) 1943

3) News of the Weird (a good one)

4) Ecotopia, by E. Callenbach

5) The Book of the SubG... No, that one might hurt you.

6) hardcopy of alt.slack

...or KILL ME !

Brent P. Burton, N5VMG Computer Sci/Physics
bre...@cs.tamu.edu Texas A&M University

Ken Koellner

Oct 9, 1991, 10:33:26 AM10/9/91
In article <46...@tamsun.TAMU.EDU> n13...@tamuts.tamu.edu (Brent) writes:
^^^^ Aggie?

>k...@alta.sw.stratus.com (Ken Koellner) writes:
>>
>> I am going on vacation Friday. I would like to find some
>>slackful reading for the flight out-a-here. Any suggestions?
>>

>Sure, you be the judge. Send me $20 for my suggestions...
Send me $40 for reviewing your suggestions.

>1) The Bible(tm)
I Read it, predictable ending.

>2) Analytic Geometry and Calculus (C) 1943
I Read it, very idealistic, all that infinity stuff.

>3) News of the Weird (a good one)
Never heard of it. What is it? Who wrote it? Pub? Date?

>4) Ecotopia, by E. Callenbach
What is it. Where kind find it? Author? Pub? Date?

>5) The Book of the SubG... No, that one might hurt you.
I'm suicidal/maso. I hope it hurts me real bad.
Can't find it, heard it was published by S&S.
Author? Date? ISBN?

>6) hardcopy of alt.slack
I read it online and memorize it word for word. Send
me your next pay check and I'll give you my phone
number and you can call me up and I'll recite the
last month's posts from memory.

> ...or KILL ME !
>Brent P. Burton, N5VMG Computer Sci/Physics
^^^^^ I used to have one of these numbers too but I
forgot to fill out a renewal card so the government took it back.

on_high

Oct 9, 1991, 1:59:37 PM10/9/91
In article <83...@lectroid.sw.stratus.com> k...@alta.sw.stratus.com (Ken Koellner) writes:
>IMHO Worcester has much more slack than Boston.
^^^^^^^^^ ^^
DIE MONGREL DIE

>(Hey that's just my opinion so don't get bent or die.)

:-)

> -Ken Koellner (k...@sw.stratus.com)
Rev. The Rat-Fink

Joan... Joan.......

Todd Jonz

Oct 9, 1991, 1:43:24 PM10/9/91
In article <84...@lectroid.sw.stratus.com>, k...@kaos.sw.stratus.com (Ken
Koellner) writes:

> > 4) Ecotopia, by E. Callenbach
>
> What is it. Where kind find it? Author? Pub? Date?

Favorite novel of Jerry Brown, former Governor of California and possible
democratic candidate for President in '92. (Newsweek used to refer to him as
"California's moonbeam governor." This is one slackful dude.) Northern
California gets tired of the whole United States thing, secedes from the
union, and forms the sovereign nation of Ecotopia.

-- Todd

???

Oct 11, 1991, 5:32:21 AM10/11/91
In article <91...@bu.edu> No, no, no, no, no.... writes:
> DIE MONGREL DIE
^ ^ ^
| | |
> Heute Morgen Mammalssystem

F.
--
|boingboingboingboingboingboingboingboingboin~ Feargal "no sleep till bedtime"|
| A LEAP AHEAD ~ Somers . ftso...@vax.tcd.ie |

Alain Le Borgne

Oct 11, 1991, 6:53:24 AM10/11/91
If in "slackful" you include classical wackiness/weirdness, and if you
haven't read one of the following, please help yourself from my Best
Of English Language Literature list:

Hunter S. Thompson "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas".
Thompson is Doonesbury's Uncle Duke. He wrote more than that.

Robert Shea, Robert Anton Wilson "The Illuminatus" Trilogy.
There are sequels.

Douglas Adams "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" "The
Restaurant at the End of the Universe" "Life, the Universe,
and Everything". Pretty high gpp (gags per page) tempo.

Terry Pratchett "The Colour of Magic" and the other Discworld
novels.

Carlos Castaneda "The Teachings of Don Juan, A Yaqui Way of
Knowledge" and the seven following volumes if you get hooked.

Harry Harrison "The Stainless Steel Rat" series and "Bill, the
Galactic Hero" series.

Michael Moorcock "The Final Programme", and other Jerry
Cornelius novels. I can provide reviews.

Ivan Stang "Three Fisted Tales" "High Weirdness by Mail".

More academic (I mean more complex style/construction, subtler
cultural references/games):

Vladimir Nabokov "Pnin", "Pale Fire", "Lolita".

I must be forgetting some.
--
Jean-Alain Le Borgne (ja...@ccv.fr, ja...@geocub.greco-prog.fr)
Computers, Communications & Visions (C2V) | Universite Paris 8

The Stark Pistol

Oct 16, 1991, 11:01:32 AM10/16/91
ja...@geocub.UUCP (Alain Le Borgne) writes:

> Hunter S. Thompson "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas".
> Thompson is Doonesbury's Uncle Duke. He wrote more than that.

Classic insanity from one of the best literary terrorists of our time.

Also, check out "Generation of Swine: Tales of Shame and Degradation
in the '80s" I really liked his assertions that Bush would rot in
prison for his involvement in the Iran-Contra affair. Too bad...

> Robert Shea, Robert Anton Wilson "The Illuminatus" Trilogy.
> There are sequels.

Yawn. Wilson's ramblings are soooo tedious. Reading his contribution
to "Three-Fisted Tales of BoB" is like dying and going to footnote
hell.

It took me a long time to finish Illuminatus. Yawn.

> Douglas Adams "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" "The
> Restaurant at the End of the Universe" "Life, the Universe,
> and Everything". Pretty high gpp (gags per page) tempo.

"Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency" is good bulldada as well.
Some of Adams' musings can easily be lost on people who are not
familiar with life in Great Britain.

Telephone Sanitizers anyone?

> I must be forgetting some.

"The Complete Joy of Home Brewing" by Charlie Papazian. Excellent
instruction and advice for novice and intermediate brewers. Fun
reading, even if you don't brew.

RDWHAHB!

--
Mc"B" - "A Thousand Points of Light? The SWAT team must've forgotten their
flash suppressors again."

Just Say "Nyet!"

Gadaiyio Takeimienei, Minion to Thor

Oct 16, 1991, 2:26:50 PM10/16/91
In article <1991Oct16....@gozer.UUCP> M...@gozer.UUCP (The Stark Pistol) writes:
>"Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency" is good bulldada as well.
>Some of Adams' musings can easily be lost on people who are not
>familiar with life in Great Britain.
>
>Telephone Sanitizers anyone?

That one actually seemed pretty straight-forward to me. Besies, he included
hairdressers and accountants in that group so we Americans get the general
idea.

Maybe you can answer a question for me. Some of us here at WPI suspect
that Slartibartfast is something at least partially humorous in the UK
that we are missing here in America. Can you explain, assuming we are
even partially correct? :)

-lightnin

/| Lightning: (n) A Force of Nature consisting of an electric discharge.
/ |_DeityCo: The Major and Minor Deities Placement Agency
/_ /=======================================================================
/ / |Up the long ladder, and down the short rope, |Email:
/ /_ |to Hell with King Billy, and God bless the Pope, | lightnin
/_ / |if that doesn't do, we'll tear him in two, | @wpi.wpi.edu
/ / |and send him to Hell with his red, white, and blue.|__________________
/ / | -Traditional Irish Children's Song
/ /===========================================================================
|/ "Dark is not one of my favorite colors." -Ralph, the All Purpose Animal.

Eric S Johansson

Oct 18, 1991, 6:28:26 PM10/18/91
(The Stark Pistol) writes:
> "Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency" is good bulldada as well.
> Some of Adams' musings can easily be lost on people who are not
> familiar with life in Great Britain.
>
> Telephone Sanitizers anyone?
>
> > I must be forgetting some.

no, you arn't. When little gator and I went to england about 84'ish it
was her first trip out the country and my last one was 10 years in the past.
we had just arrived in oxford (england not mass.) after a long plane trip,
a stagger through customs and buss ride from heathrow to oxford. We
were trying to figure out how to call our irish vegetarian bed & breakfast
to get directions on how to get there when a TELEPHONE SANITIZERS VAN
DROVE BY! We have so much (or little) slack that we didn't react (much)
and went back to trying to figure out which coins went in which slot and
which hole I stick my finger in and make litle circles. Later we kept
looking for one of those little buggers (telephone sanitizers, not phones)
but we never saw another one. I guess ark B left shortly after we got
to oxford.

--- eric (aka MR gator)
^^^ eric johansson UUCP ...!uunet!wang!harvee!esj e...@harvee.uucp
* * a juggling fool AT&T (617) 577-4068 (w)
o HAM ka1eec
\_/ CSNET johansson%hy...@polaroid.com
or hydra!joha...@polaroid.com
source of the public's fear of the unknown since 1956