Lukas Haas; Art for art's sake

User921237

Jan 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/8/98

If you want to appreciate an actor as an artist, then Lukas Haas is the actor
to watch.

The son of screenwriter Emily Tracy and painter Berthold Haas (who also have
eleven-year-old twins, Simon and Niki, Lukas's brothers), this kid has
consistently made intelligent artistic decisions regarding his film career, and
has rarely, if ever, compromised his dedication to art for art's sake. He comes
off as a sensitive, caring person (and it is very obvious that this is his real
personality, as opposed to some construct of a Hollywood publicist), and I am
not familiar with ANY negative or disrespectful statements he has EVER made
about any individuals or groups. His puppy dog eyes, sensitive face, turned-up
nose, and sweet voice say it all about this young man, and regardless of his
sexuality, I will continue to support him in the future because he is what I
believe an actor should strive to become.

Compare Lukas Haas and his work to Leonardo DiCaprio and his work, and notice
the difference between a talented, intelligent, sensitive artist to a ham-actor
who is a sellout and who is in the business just to make money and be popular.
They are at the opposite ends of the spectrum, and Lukas stands as the rock by
which DiCaprio must be judged, when we look at their work as art for art's
sake.

There's a great article about Lukas at
http://www.geocities.com/Hollywood/Set/6790/art1.html and if you want an
insight into what an actor should be, check it out. I love this kid Lukas, and
I'll go this movies and support him, simply because of who and what he is.

Gumby Damnit!

Jan 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/8/98

I guess the most ARTSY of his films would have been MARS ATTACKS! ???

User921237 <user9...@aol.com> wrote in article
<19980108140...@ladder02.news.aol.com>...

GO8GO

Jan 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/8/98

He was also picked up at Tower records several years back for shoplifting a rap
CD.

M. P.

Jan 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/8/98

If you understood the origins of the concept of Mars Attacks you would
understand the artistic roots of this excellent project.

I loved the movie Mars Attacks, however, I understand its comic origins and
the artistic value that those origins offer.

Love, peace and freedom for all people,

Mike
------------------------------------
Have you had a new idea today?
How about love, peace and freedom for ALL people?
http://www.universalway.org

In article <01bd1c73$95d31f60$b0902399@keith>, "Gumby Damnit!"

M. P.

Jan 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/8/98

I don't know if that ever happened with Lukas getting arrested for
shoplifting a CD, but is it worse than one of DiCaprio's friends (or
DiCaprio himself) spiking the drinks during the filming of Titanic with
hallucinogens, like was reported by the Halifax police?

Love, peace and freedom for all people,

Mike
------------------------------------
Have you had a new idea today?
How about love, peace and freedom for ALL people?
http://www.universalway.org

In article <19980108213...@ladder02.news.aol.com>, go...@aol.com

M. P.

Jan 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/8/98

People should have the right to control the substances they choose to put
into their own body, as long as they are also fully responsible for their
actions in all situations regardless as to what substances they have in
their bodies.

Having the right to put substances in your body does not absolve you of the
duty of being responsibile for your actions in all circumstances.

This is called freedom with responsibility, but somehow I don't think you
understand the concept. I tend to think that people who put certain things
in their bodies with which you disagree, you prejudge and fail to treat as a
decent human being, regardless of the integrity of their actions. I mean,
it's probably okay with you to use butalated hydoxytoulene or other
carcinogens, but people who don't choose to ingest those things but
marijuana instead are criminals to you. Typical double-standard.

Myself? I use ginseng, bee pollen, golden seal root, and yes, sometimes
marijuana! And I hrt no one with my actions. What about you? Do you have
children that you abuse?

In article <34b5949a....@news2.dn.net>, po...@NOSPAMpop.dn.net (Paul
DG) wrote:

>As the conversation waned,
>Lukas asked my friend if he had any pot. My friend didn't and that
>was that. Personally, I don't care one way or the other if Lukas
>likes pot, but somehow I suspect you will. Reefer madness, ya know.
>
>--Paul

M. P.

Jan 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/8/98

And by the way, have you EVER come across the idea that some artists have
smoked pot and hashish in their lives and used it as a stepping-stone to
their creativity? Ever hear of Paul Verlaine, Arthur Rimbaud and the hashish
poets clubs of late 19th century France? About the Beat Generation of the
early 60's?

True artists have special needs. Catalysts to the creative process are one
of them. People with no artistic flair will never understand this.

Paul DG

Jan 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/9/98

On 8 Jan 1998 14:09:41 GMT, user9...@aol.com (User921237) wrote:

>If you want to appreciate an actor as an artist, then Lukas Haas is the actor
>to watch.
>
>The son of screenwriter Emily Tracy and painter Berthold Haas (who also have
>eleven-year-old twins, Simon and Niki, Lukas's brothers), this kid has
>consistently made intelligent artistic decisions regarding his film career, and

>has rarely, if ever, compromised his dedication to art for art's sake. He comes
>off as a sensitive, caring person (and it is very obvious that this is his real
>personality, as opposed to some construct of a Hollywood publicist), and I am
>not familiar with ANY negative or disrespectful statements he has EVER made
>about any individuals or groups. His puppy dog eyes, sensitive face, turned-up
>nose, and sweet voice say it all about this young man, and regardless of his
>sexuality, I will continue to support him in the future because he is what I
>believe an actor should strive to become.

(yawn!)

Blind fandom is so tired.

I'm sure Lukas is a human being---meaning he has good and bad things
in his personality.

If it means anything to you, a friend of mine was at a rather
inconsequential party and met Lukas. My friend talked to him for a
while and found him to be very likeable. As the conversation waned,

Lukas asked my friend if he had any pot. My friend didn't and that

was that. Personally, I don't care one way or the other if Lukas

Diana

Jan 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/9/98

On 8 Jan 1998 20:29:10 GMT, "Gumby Damnit!"
<gumby....@mailexcite.com> wrote:

>I guess the most ARTSY of his films would have been MARS ATTACKS! ???

Wasn't it Lukas who made a bad choice of drug as well?

Diana

>User921237 <user9...@aol.com> wrote in article
><19980108140...@ladder02.news.aol.com>...

DieStanDie

Jan 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/9/98

> Ever hear of Paul Verlaine, Arthur Rimbaud and the hashish
>poets clubs of late 19th century France? About the Beat Generation of the
>early 60's?

And THESE examples are supposed to show us that drugs are a GOOD thing? Do you
know even the TINIEST little bit about these people's lives?!?!? It boggles
the mind...

>True artists have special needs. Catalysts to the creative process are one
>of them. People with no artistic flair will never understand this.

I'm not even gonna touch that one.

M. P.

Jan 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/9/98

No, just a fan looking for a role model for someone I know.

In article <34bda9bc...@news.lr.net>, pat...@sflr.net (Patricia
Steward) wrote:

>That would be "your client," right?

John Loughlin

Jan 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/9/98

What happened was a disgruntled crew member (which isn't too farfetched on a
James Cameron Set) spiked the food (i think it was chili) with PCP, sending
loads of people to the hospital.

Paul DG

Jan 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/9/98

On Thu, 08 Jan 1998 22:29:16 -0500, "M. P." <loner...@monmouth.com>
wrote:

>People should have the right to control the substances they choose to put
>into their own body, as long as they are also fully responsible for their
>actions in all situations regardless as to what substances they have in
>their bodies.
>
>Having the right to put substances in your body does not absolve you of the
>duty of being responsibile for your actions in all circumstances.
>
>This is called freedom with responsibility, but somehow I don't think you
>understand the concept. I tend to think that people who put certain things
>in their bodies with which you disagree, you prejudge and fail to treat as a
>decent human being, regardless of the integrity of their actions. I mean,
>it's probably okay with you to use butalated hydoxytoulene or other
>carcinogens, but people who don't choose to ingest those things but
>marijuana instead are criminals to you. Typical double-standard.
>
>Myself? I use ginseng, bee pollen, golden seal root, and yes, sometimes
>marijuana! And I hrt no one with my actions. What about you? Do you have
>children that you abuse?

Ah, did you read my post, buddy? Did you happen to notice the
following sentence?

"Personally, I don't care one way or the other if Lukas
likes pot, but somehow I suspect you will."

I brought up the pot thing because the person who originated this
thread droned on about how goody-goody Lukas is and I surmised she
would be the type who "Says No to Drugs" and would look unfavorably on
those who use drugs recreationally.

Read more carefully next time.

--Paul

M. P.

Jan 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/9/98

The article I read in a mainstream magazine whose name escapes me right now
itself speculated that it was one of DiCaprio's Hollywood crowd that was
responsible for the spiking. I don't remember exactly, but it might have
been the police themselves who were speculating that it was the DiCaprio
Hollywood crew that was responsible. Anyway, DiCaprio himself has been
rumored as having gone through a drug phase, so I guess that lends credence
to such speculations.

In article <34B61ED6...@westworld.com>, John Loughlin