Repost pointer: Evolution (sf, fd, ws, trans) [0/27]

Dream Weevil

Nov 5, 1994, 9:56:10 PM11/5/94

I'm reposting a story that fits two groups that didn't exist
(as far as I know) when it was first written. Following is
part "zero"; other sections will appear only in alt.sex.stories
over the next three weeks or so. I am NOT crossposting the
entire thing because of the length: approx. 340K.

Back in the 1992 timeframe, this story generated quite a
bit of conversation by people who, for one reason or another,
took it too seriously, as if the events here were actually
possible and I was somehow "promoting" them. This will
serve as your ownly warning: "Evolution" contains
one of the most severely female-dominant plots possible,
even if it doesn't like to think of itself that way. The note
below, which prefaced the story at its original appearance,
explains why. Many comments on this story were of the
variety I agreed with; and, two-and-a-half years later there
are things even I would change; but I'm supposed to
be working on other things.

[original] Note from the author:

Back in the 1950's and 60's, and to some extent even after this,
there's been a definite science-fiction subgenre which involved itself,
somehow, with the battle of the sexes. As a "tease" to its audience,
one or more female antagonists threaten to somehow destroy, enslave, or
otherwise torture their male counterparts- usually with some overriding
sexual overtones to keep the audience's interest.

In many cases, the males' intended proposed fate was justified; in
some cases the territory of an isolated group of women was violated; in
others the antagonist has suffered some kind of abuse that justified her
terrible wrath.

These stories, and even the parodies which followed, all shared the
same conclusion, though; in the inevitable happy ending, the male
protagonists successfully defend against the women's apparently
scatterbrained efforts to change their lives; the suddenly "evil"
females, soundly trounced, slink back to the repressive shadows from
which they came, and the world quickly returned to normal. The "50 foot
woman", having exacted her revenge on her cheating husband, is
electrocuted. Martian women, plans in ruins, are abandoned on their own
planet. Ultimately, not much has happened; after all, it's been a
"tease" to the audience all along.

What might happen if the outcome were different?

To find out more about the anon service, send mail to he...@anon.penet.fi.
Please report any problems, inappropriate use etc. to ad...@anon.penet.fi.