Almost murdered

1 view

Harvey W. Harbicht (http://come.to/stupidlaratricks)

Apr 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/17/99
I was almost murdered today. A car came out of the oncoming lane into my
lane and tried to hit me head-on. Every time I moved to the right, he
(she?) moved with me until I was almost on the curb and the car was about 5
or 6 feet from me. Then he swerved back into his proper lane and zoomed off
tires screeching. No license plate on the car of course. :-(

Doug from California

Apr 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/17/99
WHAT A F**KING ASSHOLE! Glad you're okay, Harvey. Where'd this happened?
What lesson will you learn from this can you pass on to the group?

I've got my own story....One midafternoon, on a city street near the Oakland
/ Berkeley, CA border, with 2 lanes of travel in each direction, I was in
the left most lane (lane #1) and an old pickup truck was in lane #2. As I
approached to pass, the driver of the pickup truck jerks his truck into my
lane, 'causing me to make an evasive manuver and sending my heartrate
zooming up another 50 beats.

As I continue, thinking it was just another "one of those things", from my
mirror I could see the driver and passenger having a good laugh at my
expense. He must have seen me stare daggers at him, as he turned on his
turn signal for one or two blinks, as if he REALLY meant to make a safe lane
change. He never did change lanes.

Just like the cops can provide profiles of killers based on a huge data base
of past experience, I think bikers can do the same. I've heard from people
that take motorcycle safety classes that drivers behind the wheels of Volvos
are a well known problem. I'm gonna add old pickup trucks to my warning
list, too, because of the beer dripping, low intelligence, image it draws.

The big lesson I learned was to drive more than ever as if a cager can NOT
be trusted.

Over and out...Doug, Oakland, CA, Elite 150

Harvey W. Harbicht (http://come.to/stupidlaratricks) wrote in message
<7fbbr8$s...@newsops.execpc.com>...

Cartman

Apr 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/18/99
Yep, here in the UK you get the same problem, it generally occurs when
you try to overtake either stationary traffic or at slightly more than the
legal
limit.

My top ten offenders are:-

1) Volvo drivers
2) Presteige car drivers, BMW's arent too bad, but Merc drivers are complete
retards
3) Little spotty twats in Ford Fiesta's (Geo metro's??) with all the
'go-faster' spoilers
and stickers
4) White van man (where the van is white not necessarily the driver :>) )
5) Any courier bike or van, or multi-drop driver
6) London cab drivers - 'ey my taxi can carry out a U-turn in one maneuvre -
ooops
sorry didnt see you mate'.
7) Anyone over 60 where the arthritis has got them so bad they gave up on
the mirrors.
8) Pizza delivery riders who try to race you on their clapped out mopeds and
end
up hitting you from behind because they cant stop - it happened :>(
9) Anyone using a mobile phone whilst driving
10) The police themselves - the Traffic police are OK but their van drivers
are a nightmare
- I,ve had two near misses with pig vans doing well over 60 in a 30 zone.
They have the blue
flashing lights but not the sirens it seems!!!

Any more?

Dave

da...@fat-ginger-tosser.com

Doug from California <d...@juno.com> wrote in message

Chaney

Apr 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/18/99
Not just London cab drivers, cab drivers are the same everywhere, it only
took one stupid manoeuvre from an Asian cab driver to ensure me a holiday in
a local hospital 7 years ago......two broken arms.....most of me teeth
knocked out.....busted shoulder.....pain killers for the next 12
months......and how that metal in my arms hurts when the weather gets
cold.....and to top it all he gets out of his motor to see what had happened
and I say to him call your base to ring for an ambulance.....reply.....no
understand English.....how the fuck did this guy pick his fare up and ask
him where he wanted to go??????
Still.....his insurance company - after almost 5 years of fucking me about -
gave me a nice cheque to by a new scooter with....which I did....August 1st
1996.px200elestart......magic machine...still not quite the same as the mint
12 year old PX with 3000 miles on the clock that got trashed.....

Julian Bond

Apr 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/18/99
In article <LFjS2.3621$14.1039@wards>, Chaney <cha...@chaney160gs.free-
online.co.uk> writes

>Not just London cab drivers, cab drivers are the same everywhere, it only

If I had my way, I would make it illegal to cross the line of traffic.
In the UK that means turning right. My commute takes me through most of
the ethnic areas of N London and without being too prejudiced, the road
use directly relates to the local ethnic type.

- Turkish and Greek: Anything goes, mostly slightly battered second hand
Fords and Toyotas. Driving is a little ragged but they stop and park
anywhere.
- Jewish: Volvos and Mercs, wandering all over the road, barely aware of
there surroundings.
- African: completely insane manoeuvres using the back streets.
Everybody seems to need to cut across the traffic to take the next
backroad.
- West Indian: Dreads and Tea Cosies wandering on foot across the road
with 5 crates of strange vegetables. Why do they want to stand in the
middle between the traffic when there are three dispatch riders and a
Pizza moped bearing down on them?

So what is the hand signal for:-
- Your bloody Merc S500 is too damn wide and only vaguely in the lane,
so I can't squeeze past to use the bus lane.
- Why did you think that you could go up that street when there's a
white van trying to exit it, and you've ended up stuck across the road
on the wrong side?
- Do you really have to cross three lanes to turn right?
- You've had 400 yards to get in the right lane. Did you have to wait
until there's only 25 yards left?
- This is a no parking, red route where they fine you large sums of
money and take away your car, so why are you parked facing the wrong way
in a bus stop?
- Just because it's a Bus lane with no traffic, doesn't mean you can
pull out into it to see if you can get through the stationary traffic in
the next lane.
- I know you've got a shiny Honda Blackbird(GPZR900, Fireblade) and
mine's only a dirty Helix, but if you cut me up again, I'm going to push
you off. And yes, that was a red light you just cruised through.
- You've walked half way across the road, now you better sprint the
other half or I'm going to mow you down.[1]

[1]Did you ever catch a peds heels on a pedestrian crossing?

--
-----------============>>>>>>>>>> )+( <<<<<<<<<<============-----------
Julian Bond mailto:julia...@voidstar.com
> Purest Protection <

MF

Apr 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/18/99
Pickups are the worst!

I have not ever ridden a scooter (on the roads) until about a month ago. A
old friend had one for 'discreet' sale, meaning he had not advertised yet.
I rode it around his place a couple times and finally bought it from him
($1.3k, 96 Honda Elite CH80, 700 miles). Having no trailer, I decided to
ide it home after we took care of the title and happy crap. Granted, it was
a 45 mile ride, but I could stick to back-country roads most of the way.
So, I finally come to a small town known for it's very, uh, efficient law
enforcement (asshole cops.) The speed limit is 25 mph through this 2 lane
(each direction) town! There I was, putting away in the far right side of
the far right lane, doing 25, staying out of anyone's way. In my left
mirror, I see a bright orange pickup and psychic alarm bells start blaring
my head. Almost immediately, this asshole speeds up to 35-40, swerves
around me to pass on the left, gets in front of me in his lane, slams on the
brakes and swerves hard into my lane. No time to brake, I swerved off road
and slid (stay upright!) to a stop in the gravel shoulder. I looked tup and
there was orange pickup, waving back to me. Sonofabitch.

A word to new riders (being just initiated myself). You have to be careful
on a motorcycle. You have to be 100x more careful on a scooter! Consider
everyone on the road a potential serial killer and you'll have fewer
problems...

T.

Brian Stafford

Apr 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/18/99
you didn't sue for pain and suffering?

Chaney wrote:

> Not just London cab drivers, cab drivers are the same everywhere, it only

--
Brian Stafford
BS Computers
http://www.users.uswest.net/~scout62/

Budd Cochran

Apr 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/18/99

Doug from California wrote:

> WHAT A F**KING ASSHOLE! Glad you're okay, Harvey. Where'd this happened?
> What lesson will you learn from this can you pass on to the group?
>
> I've got my own story....One midafternoon, on a city street near the Oakland
> / Berkeley, CA border, with 2 lanes of travel in each direction, I was in
> the left most lane (lane #1) and an old pickup truck was in lane #2. As I
> approached to pass, the driver of the pickup truck jerks his truck into my
> lane, 'causing me to make an evasive manuver and sending my heartrate
> zooming up another 50 beats.
>
> As I continue, thinking it was just another "one of those things", from my
> mirror I could see the driver and passenger having a good laugh at my
> expense. He must have seen me stare daggers at him, as he turned on his
> turn signal for one or two blinks, as if he REALLY meant to make a safe lane
> change. He never did change lanes.
>

> Just like the cops can provide profiles of killers based on a huge data base
> of past experience, I think bikers can do the same. I've heard from people
> that take motorcycle safety classes that drivers behind the wheels of Volvos
> are a well known problem. I'm gonna add old pickup trucks to my warning
> list, too, because of the beer dripping, low intelligence, image it draws.

Hey, watch it! I drive an "Old Truck "(79 Dodge D-150). :) But I gave up
beer years ago and my arthritis ain't that bad yet (btw, with older
drivers, it more of a case of not realizing how afraid they are to
drive, or not wanting to give up their driving license even though they
are unable, physically, to drive safely).

> The big lesson I learned was to drive more than ever as if a cager can NOT
> be trusted.

Don't you mean "codger"? It's ok, I'm just an old fart, not old enough
(52) for the codger label. ;)

> Over and out...Doug, Oakland, CA, Elite 150
>

> Harvey W. Harbicht (http://come.to/stupidlaratricks) wrote in message
> <7fbbr8$s...@newsops.execpc.com>...
> >I was almost murdered today. A car came out of the oncoming lane into my
> >lane and tried to hit me head-on. Every time I moved to the right, he
> >(she?) moved with me until I was almost on the curb and the car was about 5
> >or 6 feet from me. Then he swerved back into his proper lane and zoomed off
> >tires screeching. No license plate on the car of course. :-(

--
Budd Cochran
<ctre...@ris.net>
The art of flying is to throw yourself at the ground and miss.
-- Douglas Adams

Chaney

Apr 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/18/99
No witnesses

HarveyCarl

Apr 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/18/99
Sorry about the experience but lemme add my two cents. I have my little baby of
a '62 150 in restoration status (Parts in all rooms of my house) and I also
drive a Volvo. The problem around here is rednecks in old trucks and new
trucks. We have plans to add bazookas to the scooters. No recoil that way.

shawn

Robert W. Hodge

Apr 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/18/99

beleve it or not, there were millitary vespa's produced for paratroopers
to use. i saw one go up for sale here about 3-6 months ago, but it was
in france. they even had the legshield notched fro the bazoka to clamp
in.

cheers,
Rob

----really hoping his loan goes thru-----

--
"all I learned at school, was how to bend or break the rules" - Madness

-The Skinhead Travel Guide- Http://www.elnet.com/~drealbob/rw/stg

HelixLady

Apr 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/18/99
Yikes, hit the wrong button!!

As I was saying: Worst Drivers -- add to that Mommies in their freakin" SUV
Mommiemobiles. They are either in a hurry to pick up their crotch droppings so
the poor little ones won't have to walk that *awful* 1/4 mile from school, or
have picked them up and spend half their driving time turned around from the
wheel, trying to keep them settled.

Last year I was tailed thisclose by one of these breeders. Despite making
waving motions for her to drop back, she stayed on my bumper. Once we hit a
clear space she zoomed around. I was new to riding, so this was the day I found
the confidence to take one hand off the handlebars to flip her off, then drop
that hand back and salute her with the other one. I was seriously considering
taking the bottle of soda from the bib of the overalls I was wearing and lob it
at her, but was worried about going off-balance. Bitch.

Budd Cochran

Apr 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/18/99
Gee, I have a friend that just happens to have a remote operated Ball
turret with twin 50 cal machine guns from a scrapped WWII bomber.

In my truck, I don't have to worry about recoil.

It's not nice to pick on us old fart truck drivers. :)

Budd Cochran

Apr 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/18/99
Jeez, don't give him any more ideas!! The highways are already dangerous
enough!! :)

"Robert W. Hodge" wrote:

> HarveyCarl wrote:
> >
> > Sorry about the experience but lemme add my two cents. I have my little baby of
> > a '62 150 in restoration status (Parts in all rooms of my house) and I also
> > drive a Volvo. The problem around here is rednecks in old trucks and new
> > trucks. We have plans to add bazookas to the scooters. No recoil that way.
> >
> > shawn
>

> beleve it or not, there were millitary vespa's produced for paratroopers
> to use. i saw one go up for sale here about 3-6 months ago, but it was
> in france. they even had the legshield notched fro the bazoka to clamp
> in.
>
> cheers,
> Rob
>
> ----really hoping his loan goes thru-----
>
> --
> "all I learned at school, was how to bend or break the rules" - Madness
>
> -The Skinhead Travel Guide- Http://www.elnet.com/~drealbob/rw/stg

Don M. Haring, Jr.

Apr 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/19/99
In article <wvNGCJAf...@e-exchange.com>, Julian Bond
<julia...@voidstar.com> wrote:

> In article <LFjS2.3621$14.1039@wards>, Chaney <cha...@chaney160gs.free-
> online.co.uk> writes

> >Not just London cab drivers, cab drivers are the same everywhere, it only
>

> If I had my way, I would make it illegal to cross the line of traffic.
> In the UK that means turning right. My commute takes me through most of
> the ethnic areas of N London and without being too prejudiced, the road
> use directly relates to the local ethnic type.

Don't worry about sounding "too prejudiced" ... you sound just prejudiced
enough for us to know you're prejudiced. <:^[

Here in the USA, in the state of New Jersey, the roads are designed so
that cars cannot turn across the opposing lane of traffic. I don't know
what the statisics show -- whether it's safer or not -- but it's the most
inconvenient and annoying road system I've ever encountered. To turn to
the left, you make a right-hand exit, which then winds around to an
intersection so you can cross perpendicularly. It's really inconvenient,
and a center barrier prevents you from turning except at intersections.
You might think this is a good solution, but take a lesson from New
Jersey. It stinks.

-don
--
Don Haring, Jr., Philadelphia, PA
1980 Vespa P200E | 1966 Falcon Deluxe Club Wagon

ShadowVan8

Apr 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/19/99
In Pa we have these "jug-handles" but only at certain intersections. And that's
bad enough.

TOP 10:
Things other drivers could do to make the roads safer.

10. Turn down your stereo.
9. Remove ALL the decals from your windows
8. Sit up (straight)
7. Hold sterring wheel.
6. Come to a complete stop at intersections.
5. If the sign says 35 then do 35
4. Worry about whats on the road and not off the side (sooner or later- You'll
end up there)
3.Make sure ALL of your lights work. Not just the damn horn.
2. Detroit put turn signals on your vehicle...So USE them.

And the #1 thing OTHER drivers can do to make the roads safer.....
Pull that stupid cell phone out of your ear.

Fucile91

Apr 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/19/99
Sheeeeesh! If the ordeal of dealing with the common four wheel variety of
driver(one of them being the evil MOTHERS of the world)
creates such a codition of angst, anger, and trepidation in some of the riders,
perhaps the bus is the answer. Always remember, gentle reader, the two wheeler,
and especially the scooter, are the freaks on the road. Being different always
has a price.One must decide if its really worth it. Its an inherently DANGEROUS
way to get around.

Harvey W. Harbicht (http://come.to/stupidlaratricks)

Apr 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/19/99
Doug from California wrote in message <3719...@news1.jps.net>...

>WHAT A F**KING ASSHOLE! Glad you're okay, Harvey. Where'd this happened?

In Milwaukee, WI on Mill Road between Teutonia and Bender. Does that help?
<grin> It's a semi-deserted road along some factories.

>What lesson will you learn from this can you pass on to the group?

Well, to paraphrase "Animal Farm"......
Two wheels good! Four wheels bad!
Two wheels good! Four wheels bad!
Two wheels good! Four wheels bad!

Serously, just consider every cager to be a murderous psycho and drive
accordingly. That was the first and only bad experience I've had in 4800+
miles. Usually people smile and give me a thumbs-up when they see the Helix;
especially when I'm keeping up with them on the Highways. :-)

Don M. Haring, Jr.

Apr 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/19/99
In article <19990418232908...@ng-ba1.aol.com>,
shado...@aol.com (ShadowVan8) wrote:

<top 10 snipped>

> And the #1 thing OTHER drivers can do to make the roads safer.....
> Pull that stupid cell phone out of your ear.

This isn't really a scooter story, but I was once on my bike, riding
through the city. I city ride all the time, so no big deal. I was about to
go through a busy intersection near the 30th St. Amtrak train station
(it's a busy part of town for those not familiar). I was in the right
lane. I was just about to go through the intersection when a big Mercedes
made a RIGHT turn from the LEFT lane. The car cut right in front of me and
I hit the brakes and leaned as hard as I could to the right. I was able to
spin the bike sidewards before slamming into the rear passenger door at
about 25 mph. The car kept going and I was able to ride it out until the
car stopped about 10 feet later in a traffic jam.

I was shaken but not hurt. I circled around to the driver side to chew out
the driver. If you can imagine, the driver hadn't yet realized I hit his
car!

Of course, he was on a cell phone. Bzzz ... the power window rolled down
slowly and he said, "Yes?"

I then told him that he made an illegal turn, cut me off, and forced me to
hit his car. He paused for a moment and glibly said, "Well thank you sooo
much for hitting my car."

I wanted to reach in, grab his phone, and toss it in the river! >:^{

netweasel

Apr 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/19/99
I have been to London 2 times. Each time I stay with my friends over there.
WHERE THE F$#@ DO YOU PEOPLE LEARN TO DRIVE?
No matter how long the road is, even if it's only 100 feet long and 5 foot
wide, why does everyone have to accelerate to 90 miles per hour, then stop
REALLY SHORT, turn, repeat. I think it's a rule in the UK, you must
accelerate as fast as you can, and stop as short as you can :)

Julian Bond wrote in message ...

>In article <LFjS2.3621$14.1039@wards>, Chaney <cha...@chaney160gs.free-
>online.co.uk> writes
>>Not just London cab drivers, cab drivers are the same everywhere, it only
>
>If I had my way, I would make it illegal to cross the line of traffic.
>In the UK that means turning right. My commute takes me through most of
>the ethnic areas of N London and without being too prejudiced, the road
>use directly relates to the local ethnic type.

netweasel

Apr 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/19/99
Don,

that's a jug handle, and its only on major roads here in Jersey. You can
turn left anywhere except on select roads.

Don M. Haring, Jr. wrote in message ...

>In article <wvNGCJAf...@e-exchange.com>, Julian Bond
><julia...@voidstar.com> wrote:
>

>> In article <LFjS2.3621$14.1039@wards>, Chaney <cha...@chaney160gs.free-
>> online.co.uk> writes
>> >Not just London cab drivers, cab drivers are the same everywhere, it
only

>> If I had my way, I would make it illegal to cross the line of traffic.
>> In the UK that means turning right. My commute takes me through most of
>> the ethnic areas of N London and without being too prejudiced, the road
>> use directly relates to the local ethnic type.
>

>Don't worry about sounding "too prejudiced" ... you sound just prejudiced
>enough for us to know you're prejudiced. <:^[
>
>Here in the USA, in the state of New Jersey, the roads are designed so
>that cars cannot turn across the opposing lane of traffic. I don't know
>what the statisics show -- whether it's safer or not -- but it's the most
>inconvenient and annoying road system I've ever encountered. To turn to
>the left, you make a right-hand exit, which then winds around to an
>intersection so you can cross perpendicularly. It's really inconvenient,
>and a center barrier prevents you from turning except at intersections.
>You might think this is a good solution, but take a lesson from New
>Jersey. It stinks.

netweasel

Apr 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/19/99
This is where the bitch-slapping comes in.

Here is a bad-driver story, but I was driving in my car.

About, oh 5 years ago when they were fixing the drainage problems on 287
North in New Jersey. It was packed, but traffic was moving pretty fast. I
was in the middle lane, and the rigfht lane was about to end. Well, a Dump
Truck comes speeding up on the right of me to try and pass me, I couldn't do
anything, there was a car to the left of me, a car riding my ass, so I
couldn't let him in. He almost crashes his truck because he's driving like
and asshole.

Fast Forward 10 minutes later. I exit 287, and I am waiting at a redlight at
the bottom of the intersection. My windows are down, it's summer, I've got
some good tunes on. Next thing I know, I see an arm reach in my passenger
door, and he's choking me. It stuns me, and my foot pulls of the break, and
his bootom of his door tears into the top of my door. SO I ut it in park as
I am being choked. The, still being choked, I roll-up the window on this
guy's neck. So now I've got a truck driver choking in my passeneger door
window. So my natural instinct is to get out of my car, run around the other
side and start kicking this guy in the ass. By now, it's 5:pm, there are a
ton of cars behind us, honking, etc...

The cops come, we go to court, he gets slapped with simple assault, he has
to pay for the damage to my car, ordered to write me a letter of apology,
get's chewed out by the judge. The funniest part is the courtroom burst into
laughter when he told them I choked him with my window and started kicking
him in his ass.

Doug from California

Apr 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/19/99
I like your "Animal Farm" reference. That's funny; very funny!

Over and out...Doug, Oakland, CA, Elite 150

Harvey W. Harbicht (http://come.to/stupidlaratricks) wrote in message

<7fevnc$e...@newsops.execpc.com>...

Don M. Haring, Jr.

Apr 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/19/99
In article <_bHS2.15$vU2.3596@nntp1>, "netweasel" <ry...@nac.net> wrote:

> that's a jug handle, and its only on major roads here in Jersey. You can
> turn left anywhere except on select roads.
>

> Don M. Haring, Jr. wrote in message ...

> >Here in the USA, in the state of New Jersey, the roads are designed so

> >that cars cannot turn across the opposing lane of traffic. I don't know
> >what the statisics show -- whether it's safer or not -- but it's the most
> >inconvenient and annoying road system I've ever encountered. To turn to
> >the left, you make a right-hand exit, which then winds around to an
> >intersection so you can cross perpendicularly. It's really inconvenient,
> >and a center barrier prevents you from turning except at intersections.
> >You might think this is a good solution, but take a lesson from New
> >Jersey. It stinks.

I wasn't implying that New Jersey itself stinks. :) The roads there are
certainly confusin for an outsider, though. They're probably European
inspired with the jug handles and traffic circles.

I know the jug handles are only on the bigger roads. My confusion with
them stems from the fact that I'll usually see the store I want to go to
after I pass the nearest intersection. Then it's a matter of finding a
close way to get over there. :)

Don M. Haring, Jr.

Apr 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/19/99

===

Ha! Is that story really true? It's too good to be true. :)
You really kicked his ass.

Julian Bond

Apr 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/19/99
In article <RaHS2.14$vU2.3555@nntp1>, netweasel <ry...@nac.net> writes

>I have been to London 2 times. Each time I stay with my friends over there.
>WHERE THE F$#@ DO YOU PEOPLE LEARN TO DRIVE?
>No matter how long the road is, even if it's only 100 feet long and 5 foot
>wide, why does everyone have to accelerate to 90 miles per hour, then stop
>REALLY SHORT, turn, repeat. I think it's a rule in the UK, you must
>accelerate as fast as you can, and stop as short as you can :)

Yup. And you're point is?

Why do you think we created streetfighters?

--
-----------============>>>>>>>>>> )+( <<<<<<<<<<============-----------
Julian Bond mailto:julia...@voidstar.com

> Made In Mexico <

Doug from California

Apr 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/19/99
Great story, but did you have electric car windows? I can't imagine you
trying to crank up a window while being choked.

Over and out...Doug, Oakland, CA, Elite 150

dc

Apr 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/19/99

netweasel wrote:

> I have been to London 2 times. Each time I stay with my friends over there.
> WHERE THE F$#@ DO YOU PEOPLE LEARN TO DRIVE?
> No matter how long the road is, even if it's only 100 feet long and 5 foot
> wide, why does everyone have to accelerate to 90 miles per hour, then stop
> REALLY SHORT, turn, repeat. I think it's a rule in the UK, you must
> accelerate as fast as you can, and stop as short as you can :)

Have you read what it takes to get a motorcycle license for anything over
125cc? Surely getting a license for a car is just as stringent. You would
think that they would be the safest drivers in the world.

> Julian Bond wrote in message ...

> >In article <LFjS2.3621$14.1039@wards>, Chaney <cha...@chaney160gs.free-
> >online.co.uk> writes
> >>Not just London cab drivers, cab drivers are the same everywhere, it only
> >
> >If I had my way, I would make it illegal to cross the line of traffic.
> >In the UK that means turning right. My commute takes me through most of
> >the ethnic areas of N London and without being too prejudiced, the road
> >use directly relates to the local ethnic type.
> >

> >--
> >-----------============>>>>>>>>>> )+( <<<<<<<<<<============-----------
> >Julian Bond mailto:julia...@voidstar.com

> > > Purest Protection <

netweasel

Apr 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/20/99
Nope. i cranked up the window. It was scary as hel at the time, but now
Ilaugh every time I think about it :)

Julian Bond

Apr 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/20/99
In article <371BD1ED...@earthlink.net>, dc <dac...@earthlink.net>
writes

>netweasel wrote:
>
>> I have been to London 2 times. Each time I stay with my friends over there.
>> WHERE THE F$#@ DO YOU PEOPLE LEARN TO DRIVE?
>> No matter how long the road is, even if it's only 100 feet long and 5 foot
>> wide, why does everyone have to accelerate to 90 miles per hour, then stop
>> REALLY SHORT, turn, repeat. I think it's a rule in the UK, you must
>> accelerate as fast as you can, and stop as short as you can :)
>
>Have you read what it takes to get a motorcycle license for anything over
>125cc? Surely getting a license for a car is just as stringent. You would
>think that they would be the safest drivers in the world.

Although it's harder than the USA, it's still pretty easy to get a car
license. Actually the UK accident record is pretty much the best in
Europe. But I think this is more to do with the overcrowding than any
inherent habits.

--
-----------============>>>>>>>>>> )+( <<<<<<<<<<============-----------
Julian Bond mailto:julia...@voidstar.com

> Professional Rider On Closed Course <

mike

Apr 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/20/99
Don M. Haring, Jr. wrote:

He paused for a moment and glibly said, "Well thank you sooo

> much for hitting my car."
>
> I wanted to reach in, grab his phone, and toss it in the river! >:^{
>

> -don
> --
> Don Haring, Jr., Philadelphia, PA
> 1980 Vespa P200E | 1966 Falcon Deluxe Club Wagon
> 1959 Lammy Li150 | 1961 Falcon Futura ... and lots of bicycles

hm- what ya SHOULDA done was kick his door and leave a big dent in it...
then ride off. ive had to do that twice, to people trying to change
lanes into me. they came over to the left, without seeing me, almost hit
me, but swerved back into their own lane after i "knocked" on their
drivers door with my size 10.

Cartman

Apr 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/20/99

Julian Bond <julia...@voidstar.com> wrote in message

> In article <371BD1ED...@earthlink.net>, dc <dac...@earthlink.net>
> writes
> >

> >netweasel wrote:
> >
> >Have you read what it takes to get a motorcycle license for anything over
> >125cc? Surely getting a license for a car is just as stringent. You
would
> >think that they would be the safest drivers in the world.
>
> Although it's harder than the USA, it's still pretty easy to get a car
> license. Actually the UK accident record is pretty much the best in
> Europe. But I think this is more to do with the overcrowding than any
> inherent habits.
>
> --
> -----------============>>>>>>>>>> )+( <<<<<<<<<<============-----------
> Julian Bond mailto:julia...@voidstar.com

It is definitely easier to get a car licence over here. If your'e on 2
wheels you
need training to a higher standard to compensate for the poor quality of car
drivers - newly passed and experienced.
You can only do so much to a car to improve it safety - its the 'nut behind
the
wheel' you cant do that much about. :>(

Ride safe

Dave

da...@fat-ginger-tosser.com

Don M. Haring, Jr.

Apr 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/20/99
In article <371CAEF1...@hotmail.com>, mike <socal...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Don M. Haring, Jr. wrote:
>
> > He paused for a moment and glibly said, "Well thank you sooo
> > much for hitting my car."
> >
> > I wanted to reach in, grab his phone, and toss it in the river! >:^{
> >
> > -don

> hm- what ya SHOULDA done was kick his door and leave a big dent in it...
> then ride off. ive had to do that twice, to people trying to change
> lanes into me. they came over to the left, without seeing me, almost hit
> me, but swerved back into their own lane after i "knocked" on their
> drivers door with my size 10.

I just had to do this today! Not my boot, but I did slap the front fender
with my palm. I was on my bike and a car drifted over in an attempt to
reach a parking spot on the edge of the road. An open palm makes a loud
sound, but no damage. It's usually enough to let the driver know you mean
business without actually committing yourself to doing any damage. If I
felt it necessary, I would hesitate to kick a door, though. I wear steel
toe boots when I'm on my scooter. >:^]