TomTome One - own Maps ?

Peter Baumann

Dec 27, 2006, 8:44:13 AM12/27/06
Hi NG,

My question is - if its possible to create own maps for the tomtom one ? -
this is because i want to take the tt-one on my boat for fishing - there i
want to save some important gps positions (hot spots..) - so a custom map
would be fine...some ideas ?

regards.
Peter

Darren Griffin - PocketGPSWorld.Com

Dec 27, 2006, 11:41:09 AM12/27/06

It's not possible. The map format is proprietary.

--
Darren Griffin
PocketGPSWorld - www.PocketGPSWorld.com

Christian Fauchier

Dec 27, 2006, 3:52:26 PM12/27/06
Peter Baumann <4st...@firemail.de> wrote:

Hi Peter,

As already said, TomTom maps format is proprietary, and as far as I
know, it's not possible to create custom maps (although I'd like to be
wrong).

However, at least since version 6.52, the TomTom One as well as some
other models can display raster images in JPEG format, overlayed with
its own maps. To achieve this, you just have to put two files in the
RASTER directory of the SD Card, named my_map_name.jpg and
my_map_name.sat (my_map_name can be any valid file name, it must be the
same for the two files). The first file is a JPEG image (for example a
scan of a paper map or a Google Earth view of the site), the second is a
text file containing the size and coordinates of the map as follow :

-
-62.9567
14.7067
-62.0123
14.6519
5
65535
3200
2000

Line 1 is a single "dash", lines 2 to 5 are the decimal coordinates of
up-left and bottom-right corners of the map image (here lat. ~ 62° W,
long. ~ 14° N), lines 6 and 7 are the min and max zoom level at which
the map will be displayed, lines 8 and 9 are the width/height of the jpg
image in pixels. As soon as the TomTom locates these two files in the
RASTER directory, a "Image" button will appear in the Map Viewing
options (along with POI, Names, etc.) .

One limitation of this feature is that the raster map must be included
in the coverage of the installed TomTom map, so it can't be used as an
alternate solution to regular TomTom maps (which was a big disapointment
for me, as I live in West Indies). If you can read french, you may find
other useful informations about this technique on the GPSPassion forum :

<http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=71613&whichpage=1

Regards,
--
Christian

Peter Baumann

Dec 27, 2006, 4:27:04 PM12/27/06
Hi Christian,

Thanks a lot - i think your solution will work for me because the lake where
i want to go fishing is coverd by my installed maps....
I will give it a try - and let you know if its works...

big thanks...
Peter.

Darren Griffin - PocketGPSWorld.Com

Dec 27, 2006, 5:30:46 PM12/27/06

However the raster map will only display at the maximum zoomed out setting
in browse map mode only so not a great deal of use.

Darren Griffin - PocketGPSWorld.Com

Dec 27, 2006, 5:33:08 PM12/27/06
Darren Griffin - PocketGPSWorld.Com wrote:
> However the raster map will only display at the maximum zoomed out
> setting in browse map mode only so not a great deal of use.

Ignore my previous comment, it will though only display in the 'Browse Map'
mode.

any...@nowhere.com

Nov 19, 2007, 10:06:15 AM11/19/07
Yes this is possible to do this. A French fellow named Roussillat has
created a program called 'Off Road' which allows you to use the TomTom to
save any position as a Favourite and to navigate back to it -on a road or
not. You can also navigate to GPS cooordinates.

An English version of the program is here:

http://www.webazar.org/tomtom/offroad.php?lang=uk

Joseph Johnson

Nov 19, 2007, 8:15:51 PM11/19/07
Wow! Anyone tried it? Does it work on the TT1 without terrible lock ups?

any...@nowhere.com wrote in

sk

Nov 20, 2007, 4:02:10 AM11/20/07

> 'Off Road' which allows you to use the TomTom to
> save any position as a Favourite

It is not possible to save any position using 'Off Road v.1.7a'!!!!

Slawek

any...@nowhere.com

Dec 15, 2007, 1:42:20 PM12/15/07