Re: Which nüvi functions while on USB power ( thenüvi 360 or the nüvi 660)

Message has been deleted

quietguy

Jun 26, 2007, 9:15:04 PM6/26/07
Both of them do if you are using the Garmin mains charger to supply the USB
power.

But if you connect either of them to a USB connection on a computer they do
not work as a GPS

David - who has tried it on both his 660 and his 310 (and even tried
connecting them to a USB Hub that was not connected to his Mac)

ellen wrote:

> One of the nüvi portable GPS units functions as a GPS receiver while on USB
> power but I don't know which nüvi it is.
>
> It doesn't say on the nüvi box whether the nüvii 360 or the nüvi 660 can
> function as a GPS receiver while on USB power using an automotive USB
> charger like that for the blackberry and motorola earbuds or using a
> computer USB port.
>
> Which nüvi is the one that can function as a GPS unit (not as a hard disk
> or data port) while under USB power?
>
> ellen

Jul 1, 2007, 5:45:53 PM7/1/07
On Wed, 27 Jun 2007 11:15:04 +1000, quietguy wrote:

> Both of them do if you are using the Garmin mains charger to supply the USB
> power. But if you connect either of them to a USB connection on a computer

> they do not work as a GPS.

I agree.

Sadly, I had to actually PURCHASE and TEST the GPS units myself to find
this out because NONE of the reviewers understood our very common use model
well enough to describe whether or not the USB port was used for the three
things it can be used for.
- OPERATING THE GPS UNIT
- CHARGING THE GPS UNIT
- TRANSFERRING DATA TO/FROM THE GPS UNIT

Luckily, in some cases, the reviewers inadvertantly provided this crucial
information, for example, look'it this review by GPS Magazine for the
TomTom One
http://www.gpsmagazine.com/2006/09/review_tomtom_one.php

Notice the photograph of the TomTom One box contents (Figure 3) shows a
STANDARD USB-to-mini-USB cable and a standard 5v 500ma USB automobile
adapter
http://www.gpsmagazine.com/assets/Review-TomTomONE/TTONE_IMG07.jpg
http://www.gpsmagazine.com/assets/Review-TomTomONE/TTONE_IMG03.jpg

While the GPS Magazine was one of the better reviews I saw, paying
attention to detail, even that reviewer didn't seem to understand the THREE
possible uses of the USB port, never explicitly stating that the unit can
operate while under USB power.

One has to infer that from the fact there is no other power port. However,
in other substandard units, such as the nuvi series, there is both a power
port and a USB port, which gives away the fatal flaw that will lose
Garmin's business in the long run to others such as I who care about
portability.

Phil Hornby

Jul 1, 2007, 7:11:02 PM7/1/07

"m" <m...@y.com> wrote in message

> On Wed, 27 Jun 2007 11:15:04 +1000, quietguy wrote:
>
>> Both of them do if you are using the Garmin mains charger to supply the
>> USB
>> power. But if you connect either of them to a USB connection on a
>> computer
>> they do not work as a GPS.
>
> I agree.
>
> Sadly, I had to actually PURCHASE and TEST the GPS units myself to find
> this out because NONE of the reviewers understood our very common use
> model
> well enough to describe whether or not the USB port was used for the three
> things it can be used for.
> - OPERATING THE GPS UNIT
> - CHARGING THE GPS UNIT
> - TRANSFERRING DATA TO/FROM THE GPS UNIT

//snipped//

> While the GPS Magazine was one of the better reviews I saw, paying
> attention to detail, even that reviewer didn't seem to understand the
> THREE
> possible uses of the USB port, never explicitly stating that the unit can
> operate while under USB power.
>
> One has to infer that from the fact there is no other power port. However,
> in other substandard units, such as the nuvi series, there is both a power
> port and a USB port, which gives away the fatal flaw that will lose
> Garmin's business in the long run to others such as I who care about
> portability.

The Nüvi 310 has two ports...the rear one that accepts a mini-usb plug for
charging...and a side one, that is either standard(mini) USB (or serial
depending on the cable connection). The extensive built-in diagnostics
reveal that the unit draws more current from the rear port than the side one
when charging. (In fact, initially, it draws upto 750 mA from the rear port,
but my PC's USB ports don't seem to mind...)

So my Nuvi 310 normally sits next to the PC, trickle-charging on its cradle
via a USB connection to the rear-port - I can turn it on and use it as GPS,
if I wish. If I plug another USB in the side, it immediately enters
Mass-storage-mode (which is usually why I plugged it in...) - but hitting
'Safely-Remove-Hardware' will reboot it into GPS mode if so desired.

The only thing that didn't go down too well, was having two USB connections
to two different PC's ...

Hey, I've just realised that Garmin gave me a free 5V car charger, with a
mini-usb plug. Could come in handy, should I ever get anything else with a
mini-usb socket for charging ;-)

PS
Isn't "portability" when you take it OFF the charger and 'er walk about with
it?

Jul 2, 2007, 12:26:40 AM7/2/07
On Mon, 2 Jul 2007 00:11:02 +0100, Phil Hornby wrote:

> Isn't "portability" when you take it OFF the charger and 'er walk about with
> it?

Good point. But, it's only "portable" for the next five or six hours.
Further portability requires a charger.

And, if you have to carry a half dozen chargers with you which all do
essentially the same task, that's not very portable, is it?

BTW, thanks for the very precise information about the nuvi 310's USB
ports. I wish the reviewers understood that little USB port as well as you
do!