Light Air!

Capt. Rob

May 8, 2006, 7:57:53 AM5/8/06

Yep, early in the day it was hardly blowing at all. Crossing the bridge
I could see a few sailboats, mains hanging limp or just powering. Well,
this seemed to be a good test day for the 35s5's light air aspects.
WOWEEEE!!!! Now there weren't a ton of light air boats out...a few
Tartans, Catalinas, Pearsons and so on....But I was pretty much the
only one who could SAIL in sub 4-6 not conditions. Even over wakes,
which would upset the drawing on my C&C 32 or Pearson 30, the 35s5
sliced through, holding boat speed and hissing forward like a snake. I
passed a Catalina 400, who was also sailing, but having a harder time.
The 35s5 continued on, much like a big J24. I had to head back because
Suzanne opted to stay home with Thomas as she had the night shift.
Rolled up the 135% and WOWEEEE, still sailing nicely along with just
the main.....okay, I think the air had freshened by now. The boat feels
so sweet and sure, fast and responsive...it's just great.
I pulled back into the slip, pulled a half frozen soda from the fridge
and chilled out in the cockpit listining to Danny Kay's greatest cinema
hits...
This week Suzanne is off every day but Wednesday...hope the weather
stays nice!

(Scotty potty may now change the thread title to "Hot air" or whatever
makes the poor loser feel better about his sad boat!)

RB
35s5
NY

Edgar

May 8, 2006, 12:02:19 PM5/8/06
Omigod, you go saiing in a nice calm day and pollute the atmosphere with
Danny Kaye. I really do not think that there is any hope for you...

"Capt. Rob" <Bobs...@aol.com> wrote in message

Thom Stewart

May 8, 2006, 12:40:03 PM5/8/06
Hey Nutsy,

There sure as hell shouldn't be any sail hanging LIMP with 4-6 winds.
Scotty's boat does just fine in that kind of breeze.

Thanks anyway for a Sailing Post. Glad you got out for a Sail.

http://community.webtv.net/tassail/ThomPage

Capt. Rob

May 8, 2006, 1:02:53 PM5/8/06
There sure as hell shouldn't be any sail hanging LIMP with 4-6 winds.
Scotty's boat does just fine in that kind of breeze. >>>

I should have said "puffs or 4-6" knots. In anycase Heart of Gold made
progress when most other boats with higher SAD's than Scotty's boat
could not.

RB
35s5
NY

Scotty

May 8, 2006, 6:29:16 PM5/8/06
I can sail in - 4 kts, with puffs to 0kts.

yes, I'm that damn good!
Scotty

"Thom Stewart" <tas...@webtv.net> wrote in message

Capt. Rob

May 9, 2006, 8:07:37 AM5/9/06
Edgar, I'm shocked to hear you say such things about a fine actor,
comic and singer. A picked-himself-up-by-his-own-bootstraps actor, Kaye
managed to create a huge career in film, stage and even with top songs.
I often think of his music while my diesel warms up....tapucku tapucka
tapucka......

RB
35s5
NY

Capt.Mooron

May 9, 2006, 9:44:26 AM5/9/06

"Capt. Rob" <Bobs...@aol.com> wrote in message

> I often think of his music while my diesel warms up....tapucku tapucka
> tapucka......

It sounds like it's not firing on every cylinder... much like it's owner.
There's the big problem with cheap plastic boats..... Capt. Rob can hear
the engine resonate in every part of the vessel. It's enough to make the
wood grain shelf liner, peel clean off the bulkhead!!

SUZY

May 9, 2006, 10:07:44 AM5/9/06
Tupacka tapuka tapuka is a sign of valve failure, by pass venting in
the valve cover. Better get that checked out.

The sound of a good old Ford Bowman......bum bum bum bum bum bum bum
bum bum bum bum bum bum warming up sounds like a tribe of injuns
getting ready for a war party.

My favorite is the low low low low low low low low low low low low low
of an MTU and the turbo whizzle as she builds boost..

Capt. Suzy
35s5
NY

Capt.Mooron

May 9, 2006, 11:02:26 AM5/9/06

"SUZY" <suzzan...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

My favourite is my engine.... and when I have to yell at the crew to shut
the hell up so I can actually hear the darned thing chugging quietly away.
Sometimes the only way to tell it's running is the gentle gurgle of water
from the exhaust.

CM-><>

Joe

May 9, 2006, 11:19:25 AM5/9/06
It's hard to beat a pair of 20 cylinder 6000HP turocharged H series
EMD's hooked-up on a moonless night.

Joe

Edgar

May 9, 2006, 4:18:51 PM5/9/06
I was not criticising Danny Kaye. I was criticising you for not being able
to enjoy the silence of being afloat in your boat on a fine calm day and
also for fouling the said atmosphere up for everyone else that might be in
earshot. Keep DK and anything else you have on disk for your home theatre.
Or are you going to tell us you had it on to drown the traffic noise where
you sail?

.99130@v46g2000cwv.googlegroups.com...

Scotty

May 9, 2006, 6:29:53 PM5/9/06

"Capt.Mooron" <over...@emplybottle.com> wrote in message

> "SUZY" <suzzan...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>

> > My favorite is the low low low low low low low low low
low low low low
> > of an MTU and the turbo whizzle as she builds boost..
>
> My favourite is my engine.... and when I have to yell at
the crew to shut
> the hell up so I can actually hear the darned thing
chugging quietly away.
> Sometimes the only way to tell it's running is the gentle
gurgle of water
> from the exhaust.

my favorite is....sailing!

Scotty

Capt. Rob

May 9, 2006, 9:34:36 PM5/9/06
I was not criticising Danny Kaye. I was criticising you for not being
able
to enjoy the silence of being afloat in your boat on a fine calm day
and
also for fouling the said atmosphere up for everyone else that might be
in
earshot.>>>

Sorry, Edgar. I love music and I think it goes great with sailing. We
listen to jazz and clasical as much as possible and underway it's even
more beautiful. It doesn't have to be loud either. Sure, we sail quiet
sometimes as well. I guess no one here will admit to listening to music
while sailing?
Yeah, right!

RB
35s5
NY

Capt.Mooron

May 10, 2006, 8:31:09 AM5/10/06

"Scotty" <Sco...@Seidelmann.com> wrote in message

> my favorite is....sailing!

Yeah, Yeah Yeah! ...don't scare the Bobmeister by referring to something he
knows nothing about. Why do you think I was talking about the auxiliary?
It's the only reassuring sound his sailboat makes that he understands! The
man is a power boater I tell you! He belongs on a Trawler! You know that...
I know that... everyone here knows that...... so please refrain from
broaching sail topics when replying or trolling Bobsprit.... it just goes
way over his head.

CM-><>

Capt. Rob

May 10, 2006, 8:46:34 AM5/10/06
He belongs on a Trawler!>>>

Like Doug???

Bwahahahahahahhaa!

RB
35s5
NY

Scotty

May 11, 2006, 5:32:54 PM5/11/06

"Capt.Mooron" <over...@emplybottle.com> wrote in message

yes, it would seem that Bob and Joe have a lot in common.

SBV

Message has been deleted

SUZY

May 12, 2006, 1:27:25 PM5/12/06
You should see Robbie tap dancing on the deck and overhead Delorian
windows on the 35s5.

His Mammy routine is a riot!

Capt. Suzy
35s5
NY

Thom Stewart

May 12, 2006, 3:27:18 PM5/12/06
Nutsy,

We pretty much know whose-who. I've forgiven you for wanting me died but
I still don't respond to BB, Rusty, MysTerry and I haven't forgotten.

By the way, I agree with Scotty. You really don't know how to sail in
light air, due to your Aux. or your 8HP OB on your Dingy.

I don't condemn you. Not if that's what you want; have at it. Don't brag
about sailing in 4 Knts and calling it light air. We know you have to
get the Wife home for middle shift. Gentleman; start your Engine!
(Smile)

http://community.webtv.net/tassail/ThomPage

Message has been deleted

SUZY

May 12, 2006, 6:35:18 PM5/12/06

Nutsy wrote:

> There is simply no nice way to say this, Thom... I'm a complete fucking
> imbecile!
>

>RB wishing he was Terry & Skipper, Clearlake Texas

Binary Bill

May 12, 2006, 7:41:21 PM5/12/06

Thom Stewart wrote:
> Nutsy,
>
> We pretty much know whose-who. I've forgiven you for wanting me died but
> I still don't respond to BB, Rusty, MysTerry and I haven't forgotten.

That was not really my fault Thom, I have voices in my head that I can
not control. Sometimes they take over and I go nutz.

BB
Heart of Stone
NY NY

Paladin

May 20, 2006, 10:22:47 PM5/20/06

"Thom Stewart" <tas...@webtv.net> wrote in message news:24025-44...@storefull-3258.bay.webtv.net...

| Nutsy,
|
| We pretty much know whose-who. I've forgiven you for wanting me died but
| I still don't respond to BB, Rusty, MysTerry and I haven't forgotten.

Stupid old fart!

Paladin