Direkt zur ersten ungelesenen Nachricht

Jeff Morris

ungelesen,
17.07.2004, 20:45:4717.07.04
an
We're back from our Maine Cruise. A bit soggy, but a good time was had by all.

Crew: Jeff & Claudia, Amelia (9), Molly (Portuguese Water Dog), Woody & Arlo
(Feline-Americans)

Itinerary: Boston to Salem for July 4th fireworks, Kittery, Seal Harbor
(Richmond Island), Jewell Island, Potts Harbor (Harpswell), Sebasco Harbor,
Harraseeket River, Kittery, Gloucester, Boston. There were a few other places
we would have visited, but the weather was not cooperative. There was
precipitation every day we were in Maine, fog almost every morning, and the
temps have still not gone over 80 in Portland yet this year.

Best Sailing: Actually, the first and last days. leaving from and returning to
Boston were the best sailing days. Clear, steady 15 knots close reach - average
7.5 knots.

Most challenging: Kittery to Annisquam - about 25 miles, 20-25 knot tailwind, 4
foot wind waves mixed with 6 foot short length ocean waves on the beam (a low
was passing close offshore). I found it a fun challenge to keep the boat "in
the groove" but half the crew was praying for a swift and merciful death. We
averaged about 9 knots for that leg.

Most annoying: We had two bouts with thick fog while underway. Visibility each
time was about 100 yards, not quite "pea soup." The first time was leaving
Kittery headed East through dense lobster trap fields. The second was few traps
but we had to cross the Portland entrance channel. We had several other cases
of medium fog, plus two days that we didn't bother to leave the mooring because
the fog was only interrupted by rain.

First minor adventure: Within two hours of leaving Boston we hooked some fishing
gear on a rudder and then on a saildrive. Most was cut away while drifting, the
rest we dragged into Salem and cleared it while on the mooring.

Second minor adventure: In Potts Harbor, at 0230, after a major thunderstorm, we
were awakened by a horn tooting in the mooring field. We called over and the
skipper asked me to go ashore and wake up the marina owner. It turned out his
mooring had gotten twisted with another and he was afraid the two boats would
pound together and sink. Even though the wind had completely died, he was in
rather a panic, and I had to admit I felt a bit disoriented while launching the
dink in the middle of the night. I thought perhaps I should power Loki over,
but in retrospect, I wouldn't have been able to untangle the boats - the work
boat was the right solution.

Breakdowns: the obligatory head clog. Also, one water pump impellor failed -
rather annoying since it only had about 30 hours on it.

Highlights: The new Peabody-Essex Museum is spectacular, not to be missed.
Molly's favorite was the "Punchbowl" on Jewell Island - a large tidal pool
perfect for a water dog to romp in. C's favorite was probably the three Lobster
Stew dinners at the Dolphin Restaurant, or maybe it was the quart of fish chowda
we took back to the boat. Or maybe the two lobsters at the Harraseeket Lobster
Pound. I got a kick out of seeing "Artforms," the Open 50 that set a new
Transat record last month. It was in the slings at Brewer's South Freeport.
Check out the capsize test video:
http://www.ksopen50.com/gallery/view_album.php?set_albumName=capsize-test

Next: a few weeks off, then we head south to the Vineyard and Buzzard's Bay.

-jeff www.sv-loki.com
"The sea was angry that day, my friend. Like an old man trying to send back soup
at the deli."

Michael

ungelesen,
16.07.2004, 22:07:2916.07.04
an
Thanks! I've been flipping coins on the route after the Great Lakes. Your
excellent report solved the issue. If it's unseasnably foggy, rainy, cold
take the inland route through NY. If it's unseasonably warm and clear take
the St. Lawrence all the way down and hang a right down the coast. If it's
. . . . Seriously, I appreciate your wellwritten report and it surely
helped a lot in my own plans. Once I check the inland routes for mast
lowering requirements, if any, I'm thinking of killing some time up North
and outlastingthe hurricane season by doing the Erie to the lakes then back
up to the St. Lawrence and so on . . . .tothe coast and down. As you just
got back and prior to the impending storm season can you comment on how late
in the summer it's considered OK to be off Nova Scotia and Maine. On the
Oregon/Washington coast the rule of thumbis don't start south later than
Labor Day. Also . . . . . .where'sthe best sourcefor thosegreat
lobsters!!!! Out west we often make adeal with the fishingboats.

Michael

"Jeff Morris" <jef...@nospam-at-all-sv-loki.com> wrote in message

Jeff Morris

ungelesen,
17.07.2004, 23:13:3617.07.04
an
If you're thinking Erie Canal you might want to check out our first trip in
Loki:
http://www.sv-loki.com/Delivery/delivery.html

Also, check water levels on the Canal - I've heard of boats being stuck for
weeks because either low or high water shut it down with little notice.

BTW, the fog in Maine isn't really that bad if you have radar and know how to
use it. It is a fixture in the mornings, but usually burns off. Also, it
settles in a zone depending on water temps, so some years it politely stays 5
miles offshore, other years it comes closer in. I remember the first time I
took my wife to Jewell Island - we were fogged in for 4 days. When we finally
escaped, we learned that about a mile inshore from Jewell it had been clear most
of the time!

My migratory friends usually stay in Maine well into September. Last year we
visited them in Kittery Sept 26. Their timing south depends on how active the
hurricane season is. However, they have two diesel heaters on board, and
usually just try to stay ahead of the frost. The other approach is to dash down
NJ in August to be in the Chesapeake around Labor Day. Last year, however, this
would not have worked too well!

In general, the big hurricanes don't bother Maine too much, and there's
certainly lots of hurricane holes. There are always exceptions - I think it was
'78 or '79 that Hurricane David blew by Boston as a small gale and then gained
strength in Nova Scotia. But for the most part, Sept is nice in Maine because
the fog has dried up some, and you get more NW wind than in the Summer.

My wife is the Lobsta expert - she won't touch them until we get well into
Maine. The restaurant in Kittery was asking about $25 for a 1.5 pounder, but
further up in Freeport at the Pound is was a flat $10 a pound. She claims the
best she ever had was in Frenchboro, Long Island (pop 37), about 5 miles south
of Mt. Desert. We went into Lunt Harbor, took a mooring from Lunt & Lunt
Marine, radioed our order into Lunt Restaurant. When we went ashore they
apologized for not having any 2 pounders, so they gave her a 2.5 pounder for
$15.

"Michael" <sv_se...@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:40f9db18$1...@127.0.0.1...

Michael

ungelesen,
17.07.2004, 00:26:1717.07.04
an
Thanks again! PNW fog is a bit different often the demarc line is right
where the surf hits the coast. I did look at the water levels and have to
match my 3'7" draft. From what I've read andbeen told so far that section
is 'iffy.' But it's best to ask those who have been there. Add in your
weather info and the lobster incentive and it sure makes the St. Lawrence
and coast route very attractive. I checked my charts of the area and pilot
books and am amazed at the number of harbors. On the PNW coast they run
about 40 to 100 miles apart and many are high tide, fair condition bar
crossings. I get the feeling I'm going to thoroughly enjoy the North East!
And yes I do have radar. Fixed it to swing out and around so I can view the
screen from cockpit.

M.

"Jeff Morris" <jef...@nospam-at-all-sv-loki.com> wrote in message

0 neue Nachrichten