The Last Coffee Ship

Jeff Morris

Dec 22, 2001, 9:12:06 AM12/22/01
In the old days, of course, coffee was transported by sailing ship. The
long voyage from the Dutch East Indies would have a natural "sweating"
affect on the coffee in the hold. As a result, the coffee turned a rare
shade of brown
that brought a premium at auction. It was believed that it greatly improved
the flavor and body. Captains that brought in "extra brown" were given a
bonus. Coffee brought by sail was termed "ex-sailing ships."

Unlike tea, where there was a premium for fast voyages, coffee usually
traveled on slow ships. The Dutch style was favored - they were described
by one writer as "a hundred feet long, a hundred feet wide, and a hundred
feet high. Sometimes she sailed forwards, sometimes backwards, and
sometimes sideways. After dark, the lights were put out, all sail was taken
in, and all hands turned in for the night." Towards the end of this era the
Dutch ships were largely replaced by Norwegian vessels.

After the turn of the century, there were attempts to duplicate the browning
process by steam heating coffee brought in by steamships. The Pure Food
authorities got involved, and the demand for brown coffee fell off. The
last coffee-carrying sailing ship to dock in New York was on Christmas Day,
1914.

reference - "All About Coffee" by William H. Ukers 2nd ed. 1935

Happy Holidays to All ...

-jeff
"The sport that requires the least effort" Albert Einstein on Sailing

pony express

Dec 22, 2001, 9:17:39 AM12/22/01
How disappointing! I thought you were telling me that you shipped my
coffee.
--

Steve & Suzanne
S/V Pony Express

"Jeff Morris" <je...@noSPAMsv-loki.com> wrote in message

Capt. Mooron

Dec 22, 2001, 10:14:25 AM12/22/01
Yes indeed..... it would have gone well with the Overproof Rum.... unless
Scott drank it on you! :-D
--
Capt. Mooron
S.V. Overproof
"pony express" <ponye...@addr.com> wrote in message

Scott Vernon

Dec 22, 2001, 10:50:05 AM12/22/01
That's disgusting!

Capt. Mooron wrote ...

Janne T

Dec 22, 2001, 1:44:59 PM12/22/01
Even to this day, the Norwegian Lysholm's Linie Aquavit is travelling long
distances before it is sold.... After manufacturing, the Aquavit is put in
oak kegs and loaded in ocean containers. The containers are loaded onboard
container carriers and shipped from Norway to Australia round trip. After
the return to Norway, the Aquavit is bottled and sold in stores world wide.
It is said that the transport through different climate zones is giving
Lysholm's Linie Aquavit its special taste.
(In Norwegian, "Linie" means 'line' - (equator).
Any Norwegians - kindly correct if found wrong.

--
S/Y Labamba
SFC6357

"Jeff Morris" <je...@noSPAMsv-loki.com> skrev i meddelandet
> [...]

Capt. Mooron

Dec 22, 2001, 6:15:08 PM12/22/01
I take it .... you had a taste?! :-D

"Scott Vernon" <sbve...@netzero.net> wrote in message

pony express

Dec 22, 2001, 6:48:00 PM12/22/01
I think he was refering to the thought of body shots.
--

Steve & Suzanne
S/V Pony Express
Express 30
www.express-sailing.com/owners

"Capt. Mooron" <moo...@svoverproof.nt> wrote in message

TerTrnty

Dec 24, 2001, 5:55:06 PM12/24/01
To be hummed in the tune of "rudolph the red nose reindeer"
To the alt.sailing.asa group
Joe the mighty sailor man had alot of knowledge of the sea
Been on the water ever since he was 17 ,
And if u ever been sailing with him you say ,yeah the seas that man knows,
one day while mighty sailor joe was surfing the net -he came across
alt.sailing.asa at google . net,
Well old sailor Joe read a few post , decided he wanted to join the group, but
little did he know .
When he tried to join and fit in, all of the other want to be sailors laught
and called him names, they wouldnt let poor sailor Joe join in any virtual
cruise sailing games.
Then one foggy christmas eve -santa came to joe ,
said im in a mess my boy the reindeers did to much blow ,
I need someone to help me save christmas for all the little boys and girls -
with your knowledge of the water ways will u help me deliever the toys?
And of course sailor joe jump with glee - ill help u santa -right now this
x-mas eve. and thanks to mighty sailor joe - CHRISTMAS came off with out a
glitch , all of the other sailors rung thery're HANDS and and they're teeth
they did grit.
old katy sails went to her cabine and whinned, while old haggy climed the mast
and did her flabby arms ever fly
And poor old captain neil just couldn't think what to do - how could he cut and
paste anything new - and old captain paul set back and took his bottle of booze
and remember the days of old he wished he onced knew.
But then after a while the old want to be sailors came around -for sure now
mighty Joe sailor man was the most popular sailor in sailing atl land and in
the world too.

by mysterrymermaid