Why DITTOHEAD?

1 view

szs...@dale.ucdavis.edu

Feb 11, 1994, 4:19:47 PM2/11/94
Though I have many problems with Limbaugh-ism, I suppose that any human
being has a right to their opinion.

What I DON'T understand is why so many people don't have their own
opinions. Calling yourself a DITTOHEAD is, by definition, saying that
you don't have your own opinion.

Can't you think for yourself(ves)??

Robb Topolski-KJ6YT

Feb 12, 1994, 7:39:00 AM2/12/94

Actually, I consider myself a DittoHead, although I often disagree with
Limbaugh. I'm a fan.

--
=* * * * * * *=#################################= In SoCal? Try kaiwan
= * * * * * * = Robb Topolski KJ6YT = for internet access.

Jeffrey J Barbose

Feb 12, 1994, 8:02:56 PM2/12/94
Subject: Re: Why DITTOHEAD?
From: Robb Topolski-KJ6YT, topo...@kaiwan.kaiwan.com
Date: 12 Feb 1994 12:39:00 GMT
In article <2jiil4$s...@kaiwan.kaiwan.com> Robb Topolski-KJ6YT,
topo...@kaiwan.kaiwan.com writes:
>Actually, I consider myself a DittoHead, although I often disagree with
>Limbaugh. I'm a fan.

Hmmmm....how does THAT happen? Ditto means you reiterate everything that
was said above or before.

Faith is the province of those too lazy to investigate.

Robb Topolski-KJ6YT

Feb 12, 1994, 10:00:08 PM2/12/94
Jeffrey J Barbose (bar...@netcom.com) wrote:
> Hmmmm....how does THAT happen? Ditto means you reiterate everything that
> was said above or before.

Actually early in EIB history, Rush kept getting calls from fans who
would spend the first minute of their call explaining how much they liked
Rush. Then one day some lady called and instead of going into another
long spell of Rush-fan-speak, simply said something like "Ditto to what
the last caller said," meaning I love you and/or your show, don't ever go
away.

Thus "dittos" does not mean total agreement with Rush, just that you
appreciate his show and his talent.

> Faith is the province of those too lazy to investigate.

Faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things
not seen. -- Author Unknown

--
H ll ll r i S i H o i i co
i a y & i 's d g v W e o l k a .

Robert D. Wilkens

Feb 13, 1994, 12:51:07 AM2/13/94
Jeffrey J Barbose <bar...@netcom.com> writes:
>Hmmmm....how does THAT happen? Ditto means you reiterate everything that
>was said above or before.

No, Ditto means you think he has a great show. IT's a way of preventing
people from wasting time and saying 'Hey rush, I love your show, i
listen to you every day blah blah blah' -- instead (from my
understanding) people just say 'dittos' to repeat that phrase from the
original caller who started it.. 'Mega Dittos' means You really like
his show and you agree with him on many an issue..

>Faith is the province of those too lazy to investigate.

Yes, that's what i have against religion. On the other hand, if
EVERYONE thought for themselves, nothing would get done. You can
understand that much, right? If not, I'd say you're not thinking
enough.
--
Robert D. Wilkens
Clemson University Computer Science Department

Cody Jones

Feb 13, 1994, 11:04:10 AM2/13/94
In article <CL2wL...@ucdavis.edu> szs...@dale.ucdavis.edu () writes:
>From: szs...@dale.ucdavis.edu ()
>Subject: Why DITTOHEAD?
>Date: Fri, 11 Feb 1994 21:19:47 GMT

What people are saying is that they agree with Rush's opinions when they say
dittohead. Can't people agree on opinions or does the world have to be a
great big argument (war)??

Maurice Rynders

Feb 13, 1994, 8:16:17 PM2/13/94

I thought for myself and decided that I like most of what Rush stands
for. Some further thinking brought me to the conclusion that the word
dittohead is neat and it is an easy way of identifying yourself as a
person with a certain look at life (It so happens to be Rush's view as
well) and so, I decided to call myself a dittohead as well. Ain't it
great?
Maybe all of us dittoheads should declare ourselves a minority and
demand special rights. Hey. man, there's something we could get away
with. After all we're all suppressed by those liberal commies.......

Greetings to all Dittoheads.......
(Okay, to the others too.)

MCR

szs...@dale.ucdavis.edu

Feb 14, 1994, 12:59:13 PM2/14/94
well, that was very educational. It seems that there are at least three
different definitions of dittohead.

one response said it was show the that he/she loved, though not necessarily
ALL of the opinions. Out of respect of Rush's valuable on-air time, the
person would say "ditto" to the lauds of the previous caller.

Another response said that he/she "ditto"'s the exact opinions of Rush.
If everyone had their own opinions, nothing would get done. He asked if I
could understand that...well I understand that if everyone followed their
own POLICIES, nothing could get done. But POLICY is very different from
OPINION.

Another response said that he/she agreed with most of Rush's opinions,
and felt like they could label themselves as a dittohead without much
problem.

Three completely different notions of what a dittohead is. The scary
part of it is, Rush, I'm sure would say that the first response is the
most correct. It's harmless, he would say, cuz they're just trying to
save time on my show...cutting down the compliments.

The danger is when people mix up appreciating the show with appreciating
the racist, sexist and prejudiced nature of his "entertainment". When
you say ditto, who's to say that you didn't mean the Content of the show
and not a mere appreciation of its existance.

Rob Wilkens

Feb 14, 1994, 4:04:42 PM2/14/94
szs...@dale.ucdavis.edu () writes:

>The danger is when people mix up appreciating the show with appreciating
>the racist, sexist and prejudiced nature of his "entertainment". When
>you say ditto, who's to say that you didn't mean the Content of the show
>and not a mere appreciation of its existance.

I have never heard Rush make a RACIST or SEXIST statement. He makes
personal attacks on liberals all the time, Take clinton. Does the fact
that he constantly mocks clinton mean he is racist against whites? Some
people have used this same logic to try to claim that because he mocks a
black senator or the like that he is a racist.

-Rob

szs...@dale.ucdavis.edu

Feb 14, 1994, 8:11:37 PM2/14/94
: >The danger is when people mix up appreciating the show with appreciating

dear rob:
The fact you completely disregarded my argument proves my point. Look,
all pro-Rushers sit there, take it all in, until "damn liberals" start
telling the truth..that is, Rush is bigoted and racist and sexist. Then
you sit there and say "why no, I have never heard a single racist statement".

Rush is too smart for such outspoken stupidity. He much prefers to veil
his prejudices in insinuation and "entertainment" ("well... this show is
purely for entertainment purposes")

My only ready example, is the continuing use of the Jefferson's theme
song to introduce news about Carol Mosely Brawn. I mean, isn't that
obvious? "Movin' on up?" The only black female in the U.S. Senate.
It's like..she's so lucky, she's movin up in the world. What a rare
thing for a black woman to be so privileged.

And don't say that all the attacks on Hillary are not because she is one
of the most powerful women in the world right now, and because most
dittoheads are very resentful and FUCKING SCARED.

Anyway, my main point is still unchallenged. Calling yourself a
Dittohead comes from ignorance, and it, for me, is symptomatic of where
democracy stands in the U.S.. What better way for a dictator to get
public consent then by having armies of followers say "DITTO"!!

Rob Wilkens

Feb 14, 1994, 10:59:23 PM2/14/94
szs...@dale.ucdavis.edu () writes:
>: I have never heard Rush make a RACIST or SEXIST statement. He makes
>: personal attacks on liberals all the time, Take clinton. Does the fact
>: that he constantly mocks clinton mean he is racist against whites? Some
>: people have used this same logic to try to claim that because he mocks a
>: black senator or the like that he is a racist.

>dear rob:

> The fact you completely disregarded my argument proves my point. Look,
>all pro-Rushers sit there, take it all in, until "damn liberals" start
>telling the truth..that is, Rush is bigoted and racist and sexist. Then
>you sit there and say "why no, I have never heard a single racist statement".

I never said I was a rush supporter or a dittohead, mind you. On the
contrary I believe rush is a very dangerous person. However, I
sincerely (from what i've heard of him) doubt that he is racist. He may
be bigoted, but I've seen more than enough people on BOTH sides that are
bigoted in some way. I have to say "I have never heard a single racist
statement" from rush. I also have to admit I haven't heard his show in
over a month since they cancelled it. And before that I only listened
about 20 times over the course of 3 months.

>Rush is too smart for such outspoken stupidity. He much prefers to veil
>his prejudices in insinuation and "entertainment" ("well... this show is
>purely for entertainment purposes")

Take a look at any late night talk show, those guys are probably
liberal. I'm SURE I've heard dave letterman make racist remarks in the
past ("as entertainment. We're only having fun here, folks."). Rush, I
believe, or at least in my book, gets put into the same genre as a late
nite talk show, heck he IS a late night talk show here. He's funny as
hell even if he does have is bias's. Heck, have you ever listened to a
comedian who didn't attack one group or another. (I mean a FUNNY
comedian)..

>My only ready example, is the continuing use of the Jefferson's theme
>song to introduce news about Carol Mosely Brawn. I mean, isn't that
>obvious? "Movin' on up?" The only black female in the U.S. Senate.
>It's like..she's so lucky, she's movin up in the world. What a rare
>thing for a black woman to be so privileged.

Hehe, I think that's because of the way she speeks, tho I can't say I
know for sure why he plays it.

>And don't say that all the attacks on Hillary are not because she is one
>of the most powerful women in the world right now, and because most
>dittoheads are very resentful and FUCKING SCARED.

Yikes! I'm only scared of the Health Plan, which was her idea. When I
voted for clinton I thought I was voting for Bill, not Hillary. Yet she
is one of the most powerful first ladies ever. I can't wait
(personally) for the day when the president is a woman and we have our
first 'first gentleman'.

>Anyway, my main point is still unchallenged. Calling yourself a
>Dittohead comes from ignorance, and it, for me, is symptomatic of where
>democracy stands in the U.S.. What better way for a dictator to get
>public consent then by having armies of followers say "DITTO"!!

No, It's (as rush explained it in an article I read once) just helping
to keep the show shorter. Granted, being ignorant you can interpret it
in many twisted ways and even come up with paranoid delusions of rush
running the world, but It won't happen, so don't get your feathers all
ruffled up about it. I have noticed the guy DOES have an extremely
STRONG influence on how some people live their lifes, but I've said it
before -- Rush points out a lot of stuff on his show that you wouldn't
see elsewhere. I have looked up some of the quotes he brings up and
he's never misquoted anyone while i was watching. These are quotes and
facts that you WILL not hear in the mainstream news usually.

Douglas R Esker

Feb 14, 1994, 11:16:52 PM2/14/94
In a previous post, szsotka@dale writes:
dear rob:
The fact you completely disregarded my argument proves my point. Look,
all pro-Rushers sit there, take it all in, until "damn liberals" start
telling the truth..that is, Rush is bigoted and racist and sexist. Then
you sit there and say "why no, I have never heard a single racist statement".
END INCLUDED POST

How did Mr. Wilkens disregard your argument? He said he'd never heard Rush
make a racist statement. Neither have I. Yet you claim he's a racist. I'm
asking you to back it up, or retract it.

BEGIN INCLUDED POST

Rush is too smart for such outspoken stupidity. He much prefers to veil
his prejudices in insinuation and "entertainment" ("well... this show is
purely for entertainment purposes")

END INCLUDED POST

Then perhaps you could give some examples of Rush saying something that was
prejudiced, but veiled by insinuation. But hmm.. there aren't any examples of
that in your post.

BEGIN INCLUDED POST

My only ready example, is the continuing use of the Jefferson's theme
song to introduce news about Carol Mosely Brawn. I mean, isn't that
obvious? "Movin' on up?" The only black female in the U.S. Senate.
It's like..she's so lucky, she's movin up in the world. What a rare
thing for a black woman to be so privileged.

END INCLUDED POST

The song "Movin' On Up" was originally used by Norman Lear, founder of People
for the American Way and a big-time liberal. So he's a racist too, huh?
As well as all the white people who watched the show. Interesting...

So this example is what constitutes the "truth"? I'd come up with some more
examples, just in case people aren't swayed by what you've said so far.

BEGIN INCLUDED POST

And don't say that all the attacks on Hillary are not because she is one
of the most powerful women in the world right now, and because most
dittoheads are very resentful and FUCKING SCARED.

END INCLUDED POST

Please back up your claim that "most dittoheads" are scared of Hillary Clinton.

Doug Esker
dreg...@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu

szs...@dale.ucdavis.edu

Feb 15, 1994, 4:41:01 PM2/15/94

Look...First of all, I couldn't consider Rush a pure entertainer. That
would be equal to calling Hitler merely a good speaker. IT's the content
of what he calls "entertainment" that makes him far from entertaining.
Yes, there are other racist statements made by late show hosts...Dave
routinely uses ethnic taxi driver jokes...especially during the whole
World Trade Center thing. But Dave does not pursue aggressively a
Political ideology, such as Rush does.

Secondly, I doubt if Norman Lear used "movin' on up" in the derogatory
way that Rush routinely uses it. Plus, what the fuck kind of argument is
that? "oh, well a LIBERAL does it, so that means Rush can do it too."
I'm sorry, if a liberal uses it, it is just as wrong as Rush using it.

It strikes me, you use the word liberal as if Rush could just as easily
interchange it with "antiAmerican", or "Communist", or "hypocrite". The
fact is, Rush uses the label for ANYONE that doesn't agree with his
philosophy. It's this simple minded approach to political life, an
approach that isn't limited to Limbaughists, that
threatens the pathetic example of democracy that we have left.

Rob Wilkens

Feb 15, 1994, 6:26:59 PM2/15/94
szs...@dale.ucdavis.edu () writes:

>Look...First of all, I couldn't consider Rush a pure entertainer. That

Then you're taking him to seriously. I sincerely doubt (hope) that he
isn't even serious about EVERYTHING he says. He makes conclusions which
upset people because people find that funny. That's basically what
comedy is: You rank on people that aren't your audience and they laugh
in ignorance. Every comedian does it. Dave does it with Cab drivers
and Rush does it with liberals. Granted, Rush takes it to an extreme,
but I doubt he's harmful.

>would be equal to calling Hitler merely a good speaker. IT's the content
>of what he calls "entertainment" that makes him far from entertaining.
>Yes, there are other racist statements made by late show hosts...Dave
>routinely uses ethnic taxi driver jokes...especially during the whole
>World Trade Center thing. But Dave does not pursue aggressively a
>Political ideology, such as Rush does.

Right. And I enjoy dave. Rush does the same thing dave does, except he
never changes who he attacks so he always has the same (growing)
audience.

>Secondly, I doubt if Norman Lear used "movin' on up" in the derogatory
>way that Rush routinely uses it. Plus, what the fuck kind of argument is
>that? "oh, well a LIBERAL does it, so that means Rush can do it too."
>I'm sorry, if a liberal uses it, it is just as wrong as Rush using it.

Well, if you're saying Rush is evil because he is doing it, then you're
saying that it's bad to do. Now if a liberal does it (I believe Rush's
definition of a liberal is someone who disagrees with him) isn't that
just as bad?

>It strikes me, you use the word liberal as if Rush could just as easily
>interchange it with "antiAmerican", or "Communist", or "hypocrite". The

As could rush and his ultra-fans can be called hypocrits. communist?
Well, aside from the health plan i don't think liberals are commie.
Anti american? No, just ignorant. (FYI: I'm a conservative that
doesn't take rush seriously).

>fact is, Rush uses the label for ANYONE that doesn't agree with his
>philosophy. It's this simple minded approach to political life, an

Whoops.. didn't know you said this :) I repeated it up top because i
hadn't read your letter yet (ie: reply while reading)..

>approach that isn't limited to Limbaughists, that
>threatens the pathetic example of democracy that we have left.

What's wrong with being simple minded? What state of mind would you
suggest one be in when they make political decisions? Seriously, I'd
like to hear.

Maurice Rynders

Feb 15, 1994, 7:16:22 PM2/15/94
In article <rwilken.761284763@hubcap> rwi...@hubcap.clemson.edu (Rob Wilkens) writes:

[.....all the Sotka-crap deleted (is it a he or she, anyway?), as well as
Rob's answers (which are betteralready, but leaves a lot for
improvement)]

>No, It's (as rush explained it in an article I read once) just helping
>to keep the show shorter. Granted, being ignorant you can interpret it
>in many twisted ways and even come up with paranoid delusions of rush
>running the world, but It won't happen, so don't get your feathers all
>ruffled up about it. I have noticed the guy DOES have an extremely
>STRONG influence on how some people live their lifes, but I've said it
>before -- Rush points out a lot of stuff on his show that you wouldn't
>see elsewhere. I have looked up some of the quotes he brings up and
>he's never misquoted anyone while i was watching. These are quotes and
>facts that you WILL not hear in the mainstream news usually.
>
>-Rob

BINGO!

greetings,
MCR

John Tant

Feb 15, 1994, 11:39:00 PM2/15/94
SZSOTKA's response to Wilkens

SLMessage-ID: <CL8rB...@ucdavis.edu>
SLNewsgroup: alt.rush-limbaugh
SLOrganization: University of California, Davis

: >The danger is when people mix up appreciating the show with appreciati

: >the racist, sexist and prejudiced nature of his "entertainment". When
: >you say ditto, who's to say that you didn't mean the Content of the sh

: >and not a mere appreciation of its existance.

SL: I have never heard Rush make a RACIST or SEXIST statement. He makes
SL: personal attacks on liberals all the time, Take clinton. Does the fact
SL: that he constantly mocks clinton mean he is racist against whites? Som
SL: people have used this same logic to try to claim that because he mocks
SL: black senator or the like that he is a racist.

Marvelous point, Rob!

SL: -Rob
SL: --
SL: Robert D. Wilkens
SL: Clemson University Computer Science Department

SLdear rob:
SL The fact you completely disregarded my argument proves my point. Look,
SLall pro-Rushers sit there, take it all in, until "damn liberals" start
SLtelling the truth..that is, Rush is bigoted and racist and sexist. Then
SLyou sit there and say "why no, I have never heard a single racist
SLstatement".

Typical liberal name-calling - next to last refuge of a dearth of logical
argument

SLRush is too smart for such outspoken stupidity. He much prefers to veil
SLhis prejudices in insinuation and "entertainment" ("well... this show is
SLpurely for entertainment purposes")

Perhaps he's even smart enough not to be a bigot.

SLMy only ready example, is the continuing use of the Jefferson's theme
SLsong to introduce news about Carol Mosely Brawn. I mean, isn't that
SLobvious? "Movin' on up?" The only black female in the U.S. Senate.
SLIt's like..she's so lucky, she's movin up in the world. What a rare
SLthing for a black woman to be so privileged.

SLAnd don't say that all the attacks on Hillary are not because she is one
SLof the most powerful women in the world right now, and because most
SLdittoheads are very resentful and FUCKING SCARED.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Do you have the capacity to engage in civil discourse?

SLAnyway, my main point is still unchallenged. Calling yourself a
SLDittohead comes from ignorance, and it, for me, is symptomatic of where

In a democracy we don't have the right to agree with what someone else
says?

SLdemocracy stands in the U.S.. What better way for a dictator to get
SLpublic consent then by having armies of followers say "DITTO"!!

So predictable - nothing substantive to say....

STEP 1: name calling
STEP 2: profanity
STEP 3: break out the Hitler/Nazi references

This was _too_ easy!

John

---
* WaveRdr 1.0 [NR] * UNREGISTERED EVALUATION COP

John Tant

Feb 15, 1994, 11:39:00 PM2/15/94

Szs...@dale.ucdavis.edu wrote (the numbers are mine)

1111111111111111111111111111111111
SLone response said it was show the that he/she loved, though not necessari
SLALL of the opinions. Out of respect of Rush's valuable on-air time, the
SLperson would say "ditto" to the lauds of the previous caller.
1111111111111111111111111111111111

2222222222222222222222222222222222
SLAnother response said that he/she "ditto"'s the exact opinions of Rush.
SLIf everyone had their own opinions, nothing would get done. He asked if I
SLcould understand that...well I understand that if everyone followed their
SLown POLICIES, nothing could get done. But POLICY is very different from
SLOPINION.
2222222222222222222222222222222222

3333333333333333333333333333333333
SLAnother response said that he/she agreed with most of Rush's opinions,
SLand felt like they could label themselves as a dittohead without much
SLproblem.
3333333333333333333333333333333333

SLThree completely different notions of what a dittohead is. The scary
SLpart of it is, Rush, I'm sure would say that the first response is the
SLmost correct. It's harmless, he would say, cuz they're just trying to
SLsave time on my show...cutting down the compliments.

Historically, the first is where it came from. In the early days of the
national show, a lady called up and referred to the lauds of the previous
caller and said, "Ditto what she said."

SLThe danger is when people mix up appreciating the show with appreciating
SLthe racist, sexist and prejudiced nature of his "entertainment". When
SLyou say ditto, who's to say that you didn't mean the Content of the show
SLand not a mere appreciation of its existance.

EVERYTHING should be taken in its context.

Douglas R Esker

Feb 16, 1994, 12:56:00 AM2/16/94
In a previous post, szsotka@dale writes:
Look...First of all, I couldn't consider Rush a pure entertainer. That
would be equal to calling Hitler merely a good speaker.
END INCLUDED POST

The Hitler analogy.. and in only 3 posts. Not a record, but close.

BEGIN INCLUDED POST

Yes, there are other racist statements made by late show hosts...Dave
routinely uses ethnic taxi driver jokes...especially during the whole
World Trade Center thing. But Dave does not pursue aggressively a
Political ideology, such as Rush does.

END INCLUDED POST

And that makes it less of a crime in your book? The pursuit of a political
ideology has nothing to do with how big of a racist you happen to be.

Dave Letterman is a racist? I'm sure you posted this fact to alt.fan.letterman.And since ethnic taxi driver jokes are sufficient in your view to qualify
someone as a racist, Jesse "Hymietown" Jackson, Ernest Hollings, Woody Allen,
Jackie Mason, and Don Rickles all qualify. In fact, anyone who has ever told
or laughed at an ethnic joke is a racist, by your defn.

BEGIN INCLUDED POST

Secondly, I doubt if Norman Lear used "movin' on up" in the derogatory
way that Rush routinely uses it. Plus, what the fuck kind of argument is
that? "oh, well a LIBERAL does it, so that means Rush can do it too."
I'm sorry, if a liberal uses it, it is just as wrong as Rush using it.

END INCLUDED POST

In the first statement of this quote, you say you think Norman Lear's state of
mind was different from Rush Limbaugh's regarding "Movin' On Up", implying
that this mitigates his actions to a certain extent. But two sentences later,
you say that "if a liberal uses it, it is just as wrong as Rush using it."
Which is it, szsotka@dale? Is state of mind relevant or irrelevant when it
comes to racism? How can you expect to persuade others that your views are
correct when they aren't even consistently stated in your own post?

Please don't put quotation marks around something I didn't say.

BEGIN INCLUDED POST

It strikes me, you use the word liberal as if Rush could just as easily
interchange it with "antiAmerican", or "Communist", or "hypocrite".

END INCLUDED POST

I don't understand what your point is here. I used the word "liberal" once in
my last post. It was used to refer to Norman Lear, because that's what he is.
I don't think Norman Lear is "antiAmerican", "Communist", or a "hypocrite".
If I did, I would have used those words.

BEGIN INCLUDED POST
The

fact is, Rush uses the label for ANYONE that doesn't agree with his
philosophy.

END INCLUDED POST

Not true. Ted Koppel is no conservative. Yet, Rush Limbaugh has praised him
numerous times. In fact, Rush specifically asked to purchasers of his second
book to note that the characterization of Koppel as a "liberal" on the dust
jacket was not in Rush's words.
Eartha Kitt was a guest recently on Rush's TV show. They had been exchanging
correspondence recently, yet Rush was hesitant to call her a "fan" on the air.
Now why would Eartha Kitt, a black woman, correspond with and attend the TV
show of a man who supposedly hates blacks? Why would Walter Williams, an
economist who happens to be black, guest host Rush's show if Rush hates blacks?
Why would Rush praise Thomas Sowell, Forbes columnist? Why would Rush spend
TV time praising Project 21, an organization of conservative blacks in
Washington, DC, if he hates blacks? Why would he praise Kay James? or Gary
Franks? or William Raspberry?

Why would Rush Limbaugh do any of these things if he is the bigot you claim
that he is? Or could it just possibly be that Rush Limbaugh bases his
disagreements with people based on philosophy, and not on race? Maybe if he
disagrees with a black liberal, it's the liberalism he doesn't like?

I'm still waiting for you to support your claim of Rush Limbaugh's racism.
Only this time, instead of one example, come up with half a dozen or so examplesto support your position, as I have done. And while you're at it, back up
your claim that "most dittoheads" are scared of Hillary Clinton. You have yet
to offer any intellectually honest evidence there as well.

Doug Esker
dreg...@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Uncle Fester

Feb 16, 1994, 7:20:06 PM2/16/94

Dittoheads?

"Skinheads" in suits is more like it.

Uncle Fester

--
: A true pedophile spends years devising ways :
: that will allow him to get close to children. :

Rob Wilkens

Feb 16, 1994, 9:54:32 PM2/16/94
the...@nyx.cs.du.edu (Uncle Fester) writes:

> Dittoheads?

> "Skinheads" in suits is more like it.

> Uncle Fester

This from a white bald guy who lives with the oddest family in the world
<snap> <snap>..
--
Robert D. Wilkens

szbe...@dale.ucdavis.edu

Feb 16, 1994, 11:58:25 PM2/16/94
Keith E Jackson (kjac...@cs.tamu.edu) wrote:

: Much of what Rush does, in case you're a typical liberal detractor who has
: seen scant few of his shows and remembers only what you perceive as bad, is
: to show what people have said on camera and display quotes from the media.
: Unlike the liberal propagandists (i.e. the run-of-the-mill media hacks)
: Rush actually shows you what people say, and much of the time doesn't need
: to comment on it. The typical liberal faux pas is self-explanatory
: anyway.
Oh, I see, the normal closed minded, namecalling that you accuse liberals
of is o.k. if it is done by a conservative. When are you going to
realize that there is no such thing as a typical liberal or a typical
conserviative? When you accuse people of being narrow minded, make sure
you aren't being so yourself. By the way, the media is not run by the
liberals. 90% of all forms of media in the US owned by approximately 30
companies. I view the media as conservative, you view it as liberal. It
will never be very far from the center and always watered down. If it was
they would piss off the people who write the checks. If you want real
information read the alternative press (both liberal and conservative)
and press from other countries. It will wake you up! Don't discount the
information which disagrees with you and you might learn something.

: Whoa!! You calling Dave a racist? C'mon! Lighten up!!! If you can't see
: the humor in his jokes, or refuse to because you want to pretend you're a
: "better" person for not being racist, I feel sorry for you.

: When you mature, you'll find that all people have inherent prejudices and
: that when we learn to laugh at them, rather than allow them to do harm by
: falsely denying that we have them, or self-righteously attacking others for any
: hint of same, we will be much better off.
So the Blacks, the Jews, the Arabs, the Indians, etc. are immature when
they don't just laugh off racist views and statements? Sorry, but that
argument doesn't fly.

: Besides, the more debate we have, the more people are informed by Rush's
: show (he shows you the idiots .. uh liberals .. speaking -- no propaganda
: there), the more disagreement we have, the strong our democracy becomes.
Wait, a glimmer of hope for some reasonable discourse. Oops, there he
goes again with the name calling.

: The more we accept the "politically correct" media line and tune our knees
: to jerk automatically at anything conservative as being racist, sexist,
: etc., the more pathetic and sheeplike we become.
Excuse me, but being politically correct just means that you think about
what you say and don't insult those who are different or have different
views of life. You are the one who has bought into the propaganda that
PCdom means no more rights to free speech. Well, actually I guess it
does if you are sexist or bigoted, but I'm tired of the White Male
whining about the fact that it is no longer as acceptable to be
intolerant, to speak diatribes of hatered and bigotry, and to make half
of the world (women) second class citizens.

: Viva la differance! (of opinions, that is!)
Different opinions are good. I am not asking that anyone be kept from
expressing their opinion in an openminded way. Just get beyond the
idotic name calling and start living by your statements of openmindedness.

MARK HOWARD

Feb 17, 1994, 2:34:00 AM2/17/94
SZ>What I DON'T understand is why so many people don't have their own
SZ>opinions. Calling yourself a DITTOHEAD is, by definition, saying that
SZ>you don't have your own opinion.
SZ>Can't you think for yourself(ves)??

Maybe you don't get it.. It's a joke! Being a "Dittohead" is a way of
scoffing at the liberal media that accuses Rush's listeners of being
"brainwashed" conservative "yes men" (and women). The use of th term
"DITTOS to Rush" began as a way of saying "I agree with Rush". The media
was claiming that his listeners were "non-thinking mindless FOLLOWERS"
long before that! The DITTOHEAD label is an "inside joke".. That's why
it struck you as odd, you took it seriously!! Soooo, the joke's on YOU!
Liberals don't initially understand Rush's sense of humor (many
conservatives don't either) because they don't know his POV, once you
learn his basic theorys on life and politics, you will know when he is
joking (whether you agree with him or not).

* OLX 2.1 TD * Enforce your right to steal.. Get on WELFARE!

Jim Halat

Feb 17, 1994, 3:17:04 PM2/17/94
kjac...@cs.tamu.edu wrote:
> Unlike the liberal propagandists (i.e. the run-of-the-mill media hacks)
> Rush actually shows you what people say, and much of the time doesn't need
> to comment on it.

What a laugh. I saw a brilliant application of selective editing
when Lamebo shared some "quotes" with us from Act-Up members. While
in reality they were blaming Reagan for ignoring the epidemic and
not funding it enough early on, the snipped quotes made it sound like
they actually blamed Reagan himself for physically causing the
disease. It was a hoot! Even I laughed at the absurdity of Rush
trying to pawn these quotes off as real statements. He didn't feel
a *need* to comment on this one, either.

-- Jim Halat

Message has been deleted

Ted Krueger

Feb 19, 1994, 8:20:37 PM2/19/94

Jim, good friend, why don't you provide some of those allegedly out of
context statements by the Rustster? It may very well be true that what
you claim is indeed what was meant by the pro-AIDS types, but I'd bet
that what they said is exactly what Rush reported.

Ted
-
--
"I will kill you. Remember that."
Temple basketball coach John Cheaney to Mass coach John Calipari

Steven R Fordyce

Feb 20, 1994, 9:49:29 PM2/20/94
In article <CLAC8...@ucdavis.edu> szs...@dale.ucdavis.edu writes:
>Secondly, I doubt if Norman Lear used "movin' on up" in the derogatory
>way that Rush routinely uses it.

What is the difference between the way Rush uses it and the way Norman Lear
used it? How is it racially derogatory in either case?

>Plus, what the fuck kind of argument is
>that? "oh, well a LIBERAL does it, so that means Rush can do it too."
>I'm sorry, if a liberal uses it, it is just as wrong as Rush using it.

The argument is that it wasn't racist in either case.

>It strikes me, you use the word liberal as if Rush could just as easily
>interchange it with "antiAmerican", or "Communist", or "hypocrite". The
>fact is, Rush uses the label for ANYONE that doesn't agree with his
>philosophy.

In fact, that isn't true at all. There are plenty of disagreements on the
right, but he doesn't call those on the right "liberals" if they don't
agree with him. For example, Rush doesn't call William F. Buckley Jr a
liberal, in spite of the fact that WFB is for legalizing drugs and Rush is
not.

>It's this simple minded approach to political life, an
>approach that isn't limited to Limbaughists, that
>threatens the pathetic example of democracy that we have left.

Your comments sound very simple-minded to me. To say that Rush, by
speaking his mind, is a threat to democracy (especially when he is a
champion of democracy and our system of government) is absurd.
--
orstcs!opac!bug!stevef I am the NRA Steven R. Fordyce
uunet!sequent!ether!stevef . . . First Hillary, then Gennifer, now us.

Jim Halat

Feb 22, 1994, 12:04:17 PM2/22/94

-- Jim Halat

Jim Halat

Feb 22, 1994, 12:08:30 PM2/22/94
te...@gamera.eng.hou.compaq.com wrote:
> Jim, good friend, why don't you provide some of those allegedly out of
> context statements by the Rustster?

> It may very well be true that what
> you claim is indeed what was meant by the pro-AIDS types, but I'd bet
> that what they said is exactly what Rush reported.

Of course you would, Ted. You're good christian wafer-injesting
indoctrination requires it, doesn't it? You couldn't possibly
move away from your bigoted views of gays and lesbians, especially
those pesky "pro-AIDS types (what do they do? cheer for the virus?)."

-- Jim Halat

Ted Krueger

Feb 23, 1994, 10:02:31 AM2/23/94
In article <35...@ursa.bear.com> ha...@panther.bear.com (Jim Halat) writes:

Sorry, Jim. You have attempted to force me into the wrong box. I have
never injested a wafer in my life.

Pro-AIDS types are the ones who have, and continue to, make HIV the
first virus with civil rights. Any other infectious, comunicable,
deadly disease would have been quaranteened, or at least follow-ups
would be done on people diagnosed with it to inform all their sex
partners that they should be tested. The politics played by exactly
these pro-AIDS types keeps AIDS from being treated as a health problem
and force it to be treated as a civil rights problem.

Ted

--
"You can't be a racist by talking - only by acting."
- Louis Farrakhan

Jim Halat

Feb 24, 1994, 2:03:25 PM2/24/94
te...@gamera.eng.hou.compaq.com wrote:
> Pro-AIDS types are the ones who have, and continue to, make HIV the
> first virus with civil rights. Any other infectious, comunicable,
> deadly disease would have been quaranteened, or at least follow-ups
> would be done on people diagnosed with it to inform all their sex
> partners that they should be tested. The politics played by exactly
> these pro-AIDS types keeps AIDS from being treated as a health problem
> and force it to be treated as a civil rights problem.

Shame on you, Ted. You of all people should know that AIDS was
not treated as a health issue from the outset, but the class of
people infected became the main focus. Because it was affecting
only gay men early on, the government ignored it, the medical
community ignored it, and the media ignored it. James
Kinsells wrote a marvelous book documenting the degree to
which this epidemic was mishandled because and only because of
anti-gay prejudice (It's called "AIDS and the Media" I think).
Furthermore, the religious right took AIDS as an opportunity
to rail scripture against homosexuals, making lovely claims
like AIDS was sent from god. And it continues to be used
as a weapon to to oppress gay men and lesbians, and not as
treated as a health issue.

The fact that it was *not* being treated as the medical
issue it was, is the one and only reason that Act-Up
formed. The oppression being heaped on AIDS sufferers
made it a civil rights concern. The fact that the medical
establishment, on the whole, saw no reason for quarantine,
for mandatory testing, or for contract tracing, yet conservative
politicos kept demanding it made it a civil rights issue.

If AIDS were treated like a health issue rather than a
"gay plague" no one would be happier than AIDS activists.

Conservatives who continue to make a political issue
out of AIDS in order to feed their anti-gay bigotries,
should not complain that the gay community is treating
it like the civil rights issue that conservatives have
made it.

-- Jim Halat