Joe Harrington is gone

1 view

Birgitta

Jan 25, 2001, 7:27:53 PM1/25/01
My husband Joseph J. Harrington left his body on the 25th of January
2001 at 10.30 pm local time.

He had a smile on his lips and looked very peaceful with a red rose in
his hand and red roses and a candle light aside.
The taperecorder was playing the "Going Home" tape to help him in his
transition, as he had asked for.

He wanted me to leave the room 30 minutes before he left, as he didn't
want to leave me - he thought it was better that I left him.

I am glad that he finally could get rest from all those terrible
pains.

We did not have more than 3 years together, but the time we had was
filled of love and learning.

Thanks to all who has given us support and warming words and loving
thoughts.

Birgitta (Bid) Harrington

michaelpattinson

Jan 25, 2001, 8:15:02 PM1/25/01
My kindest and warmest thoughts are with you.
Love, Michael.

In article <e1g17tcpd4146v98v...@4ax.com>,

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

anon...@electra.lightlink.com

Jan 25, 2001, 8:21:33 PM1/25/01
in message <ibh17t8dud6fka2uj...@4ax.com> Birgitta <birg...@boberg.nu> wrote in thread "Joe Harrington is gone", on Fri, 26 Jan 2001 01:32:05 +0100, :

Dear Bid:

His integrity and intelligence have
been an inspiration to many of us.

He will be missed. ;-(

Konchok Penday

==============================

Paul Campbell

Jan 25, 2001, 12:28:53 PM1/25/01
Birgitta wrote:

> My husband Joseph J. Harrington left his body on the 25th of January
> 2001 at 10.30 pm local time.

sad news indeed - Lisa and my thoughts are with you

with love

Paul aka Taniwha

©Anti-Cult® - www.users.wineasy.se/noname/

Jan 25, 2001, 8:34:35 PM1/25/01
On Fri, 26 Jan 2001 01:27:53 +0100.
In Message-ID: <e1g17tcpd4146v98v...@4ax.com>
From: Birgitta <birg...@boberg.nu>.
Wrote on the subject: Joe Harrington is gone:

I'm so sorry to hear this Birgitta. Joe Harrington was a man of honor, a
man I respected very much. My thoughts are with you tonight Birgitta.

The good news though in this, is that Joe does not suffer anymore, and
I'm sure his transition went as easy as he wished it to be.

Joe Harrington will stay in my memory as one of the good men that came
out of the scientology experience as a stronger person.

Sten-Arne Zerpe

I.S.Rennie

Jan 25, 2001, 8:38:19 PM1/25/01
Bid.

Please accept my most heartfelt sympathy. You are in my thoughts atthis
difficult time.

Ian

Zinj

Jan 25, 2001, 9:11:55 PM1/25/01
In article <e1g17tcpd4146v98v...@4ax.com>, birg...@boberg.nu
says...

I am glad to have met Joe, Bid. And I'm sure that by anyone's measure he was an
improvement on life.

There are many things I might want to say, but all I can say is; I'm glad he
existed.

Zinj

Karin Spaink

Jan 25, 2001, 9:36:17 PM1/25/01
Birgitta <birg...@boberg.nu> kindly wrote:

> My husband Joseph J. Harrington left his body on the 25th of January
> 2001 at 10.30 pm local time.

Bid, we extend our condolances. Please know that we think of
you and that we will safeguard Joe's heritage.

And we are happy that we had dinner with the both of you
during Zenon's previous court case. We will never forget
that evening.

groet,
Karin Spaink

--
I write, therefore I am:
http://www.xs4all.nl/~kspaink/

yduzitmatter

Jan 25, 2001, 10:17:21 PM1/25/01
>My husband Joseph J. Harrington left his body on the 25th of January
>2001 at 10.30 pm local time.

>Birgitta (Bid) Harrington

My sincerest condolences on your loss. May you find peace and strength
in knowing that your husband will always be remembered as a kind and
gentle hero.

God Bless

Beverly Rice

Jan 25, 2001, 10:46:36 PM1/25/01
Birgitta wrote:

> We did not have more than 3 years together, but the time we had was
> filled of love and learning.

My dearest Bid . . .

Joe may have left his body . . .

but I see he will never leave your heart.

What a most wonderful place for him to continue being
present in.

:-)

My love reaches to you across the many miles,

Beverly

ptsc

Jan 25, 2001, 10:10:27 PM1/25/01
On Fri, 26 Jan 2001 01:27:53 +0100, Birgitta <birg...@boberg.nu> wrote:

>My husband Joseph J. Harrington left his body on the 25th of January
>2001 at 10.30 pm local time.

He was a good one, an honor to the human race.

Goodybe, Joe.

And condolences in your time of sorrow, Bid.

ptsc

Captain Nerd

Jan 25, 2001, 11:10:16 PM1/25/01

--
Operation: Nerdwatch - http://www.nerdwatch.com
Captain Nerd can be reached at: cpt...@nerdwatch.com

Feisty

Jan 25, 2001, 11:25:04 PM1/25/01
Hi Birgitta,

You don't know me, but I wanted to express my sympathy for the loss of your
husband.

I am fairly new here and usually "feisty" on this group, but I must say that
it is an honor to stand up for you and your husband who have made a better
life for others, and have been in support of something that means so much to
so many people - their freedom in the truest sense.

Feisty

Birgitta <birg...@boberg.nu> wrote in message

Starshadow

Jan 25, 2001, 11:38:47 PM1/25/01
Joe will be greatly missed by all of us. I never met him nor you, but I
cried when I read this, and Arnie's tribute because I feel as though I've
lost an old friend, even so.

Bid, if there is anything you need (such as a shoulder in private, or
virtual hugs, or ongoing prayers, or ...?) go ahead and mail me anytime.
Maybe someday we can meet and exchange those hugs in person.

I'm glad his transition was smooth. But I'm gonna be selfish and mourn his
death anyway, because I will miss him.

--
Bright Blessings,

Starshadow, KoX, SP4, Official Wiccan Chaplain ARSCC(wdne)

El Roto

Jan 26, 2001, 12:41:02 AM1/26/01

I'm so sorry for your loss. You have my deepest sympathy.

Steve G.

Christer Lindstrom

Jan 26, 2001, 1:12:53 AM1/26/01

Jag kommer aldrig att glömma Joes värme och underbara
leende. Han var för mig en god vän, och en källa
till eftertanke i mitt eget liv. Jag hade några
korta och ljusa kontakter med honom under de senaste
åren, och jag förstår att du måste känna stor sorg.

Mina tankar är med dig.

Christer Lindström

Tony Williams

Jan 26, 2001, 1:40:29 AM1/26/01
Birgitta, please accept my condolences on your loss. Joe was an
inspiration to all of us who try to stop the abuses of Scientology. He
will be in my thoughts whenever we picket the cult storefront here in
Atlanta.

'til next time;
Tony Williams (wynot)

wrote:

>My husband Joseph J. Harrington left his body on the 25th of January

Roland

Jan 26, 2001, 2:05:37 AM1/26/01
He will be sadly missed by all the critics here.

Roland

Tilman Hausherr

Jan 26, 2001, 3:42:56 AM1/26/01
in <e1g17tcpd4146v98v...@4ax.com>:

>My husband Joseph J. Harrington left his body on the 25th of January

He'll be remembered forever by the postings of him that I saved in the
last years, and of course, on dejanews...

Tilman

--
Tilman Hausherr [KoX, SP5.55] Entheta * Enturbulation * Entertainment
til...@berlin.snafu.de http://www.xenu.de

Resistance is futile. You will be enturbulated. Xenu always prevails.

Find broken links on your web site: http://www.snafu.de/~tilman/xenulink.html
The Xenu bookstore: http://www.snafu.de/~tilman/bookstore.html

Bob Dobbs

Jan 26, 2001, 4:14:08 AM1/26/01
You have my heartfelt condolences. I hope you find comfort in the love of
close friends and bear this pain with the knowledge that happiness will
come to you again. Good luck,
Queso.

Tony Williams

Jan 26, 2001, 1:40:29 AM1/26/01
==== REPOSTED, SEE END OF ARTICLE ====

wrote:

========= WAS CANCELLED BY =======:

Subject: cmsg cancel <3a711ad5....@news2.lightlink.com>
From: wy...@arscc-atl.com (Tony Williams)
Newsgroups: deakin.ducs.ducs,alt.religion.scientology
Date: 26 Jan 2001 23:55:33 GMT

<3a711ad5....@news2.lightlink.com>

Christer Lindstrom

Jan 26, 2001, 1:12:53 AM1/26/01
==== REPOSTED, SEE END OF ARTICLE ====

Subject: cmsg cancel <3a711...@news2.lightlink.com>
From: "Christer Lindstrom" <chri...@carasoft.se>
Newsgroups: deakin.ducs.ducs,alt.religion.scientology
Date: 26 Jan 2001 23:55:43 GMT

<3a711...@news2.lightlink.com>

Tommy

Jan 26, 2001, 5:44:48 AM1/26/01
Bid, you know how much Joe was loved here, right?
Well, now you're going to have to shoulder the burden of receiving all
the love for him as well as all the love for you.

--
Tommy
Apostate Postulant Postulate Apololgist

Tommy

Jan 26, 2001, 5:44:48 AM1/26/01
==== REPOSTED, SEE END OF ARTICLE ====

========= WAS CANCELLED BY =======:

Subject: cmsg cancel <3A7155...@Xs.net>
From: Tommy <Tommy_Sp**ges...@Xs.net>
Newsgroups: deakin.ducs.ducs,alt.religion.scientology
Date: 27 Jan 2001 03:46:19 GMT

<3A7155...@Xs.net>

basic...@my-deja.com

Jan 26, 2001, 7:11:02 AM1/26/01
In article <e1g17tcpd4146v98v...@4ax.com>,

It was a priviledge to share the same forum
as Joe.I'll miss him.

Best wishes to you both.

bb

Rasta Robert

Jan 26, 2001, 8:59:13 AM1/26/01
On Fri, 26 Jan 2001 01:27:53 +0100,
Birgitta <birg...@boberg.nu> wrote
in article <e1g17tcpd4146v98v...@4ax.com>
in the newsgroup alt.religion.scientology:

>My husband Joseph J. Harrington left his body on the 25th of January
>2001 at 10.30 pm local time.

Dear Bid,

I'm wishing you strength to deal with your loss and I wish
Joe a good flight on the other side.

*I want to be free, so free, like the flower and the bee*
*like the birds in the tree, like a dolphin in the sea*
*I want to fly high, so high like an eagle in the sky*
*when my time has come, I want to lay down and fly*
*when my time has come, I want to lay down and fly*

Rasta Robert
--//->
--
DDS - Dust Detector Subsystem
The DDS weighs 4.2 kilograms and uses an average

jonas

Jan 26, 2001, 9:30:02 AM1/26/01

Dear Brigitta,

as a relative newbie to a.r.s., I know about Joe mainly from the
different 'history pages' of the group, but would like to offer you my
heartfelt condolences nevertheless. Not only for the good and
groundbreaking things Joe has done for the critics community, but also
because everybody trying to live a good and decent live deserves this
several times over.

Jonas

wrote:

>My husband Joseph J. Harrington left his body on the 25th of January
>2001 at 10.30 pm local time.
>

>He had a smile on his lips and looked very peaceful with a red rose in
>his hand and red roses and a candle light aside.
>The taperecorder was playing the "Going Home" tape to help him in his
>transition, as he had asked for.
>
>He wanted me to leave the room 30 minutes before he left, as he didn't
>want to leave me - he thought it was better that I left him.
>
>I am glad that he finally could get rest from all those terrible
>pains.
>
>We did not have more than 3 years together, but the time we had was
>filled of love and learning.
>
>Thanks to all who has given us support and warming words and loving
>thoughts.
>
>Birgitta (Bid) Harrington

---
'You have to follow the light, as light is life.'

- Lisa McPherson, two weeks before her death

remove '.no-spam' to reply

anima

Jan 26, 2001, 10:30:39 AM1/26/01
wrote:

>My husband Joseph J. Harrington left his body on the 25th of January
>2001 at 10.30 pm local time.

Bid,

My memories of Joe include his rock solid, and calm presence on irc,
and his concern for arnie. I will also remember he kept trying, kept
fighting...

These words are no comfort to you now, I know. But maybe in time,
they will be.

anima

Death be not proud, though some have called thee
Mighty and dreadfull, for, thou art not so,
For, those, whom thou think'st, thou dost overthrow,
Die not, poore death, nor yet canst thou kill me.
From rest and sleepe, which but thy pictures bee,
Much pleasure, then from thee, much more must flow,
And soonest our best men with thee doe goe,
Rest of their bones, and soules deliverie.
Thou art slave to Fate, Chance, kings, and desperate men,
And dost with poyson, warre, and sicknesse dwell,
And poppie, or charmes can make us sleepe as well,
And better then thy stroake; why swell'st thou then;
One short sleepe past, wee wake eternally,
And death shall be no more; death, thou shalt die.
- John Donne

penz...@my-deja.com

Jan 26, 2001, 10:58:32 AM1/26/01
In article <e1g17tcpd4146v98v...@4ax.com>,
Birgitta <birg...@boberg.nu> wrote:

> My husband Joseph J. Harrington left his body on the 25th of January
> 2001 at 10.30 pm local time.

Sorry to hear bid, you have my sympathy. You know i always liked Joe.
And sorry for all the troubles i may have caused to him or you.

lex

Kaeli

Jan 26, 2001, 12:01:49 PM1/26/01
I'm very sorry to hear of this, Birgitta. I hope that the time you two had
spent together will be remembered as a time of love and cherished forever.
My thoughts are with you today.

--
Kaeli

ARSCC (wdnee) Intel Ops

Ed

Jan 26, 2001, 12:50:19 PM1/26/01
There are many, many "critics" and many, many ex-Scientologists
around, but Joe and Bid stand out because they fearlessly confronted
the process of dying with the intent to make a beautiful and loving
spiritual experience out of something that the rest of us are
terrified of.

I think they did well, and we all in IRC are much richer for having
seen this beautiful process from a distance.

Happy trails, and come back soon.

Ed

Catarina Pamnell

Jan 26, 2001, 3:33:41 PM1/26/01
Joe was a special guy. Every time we would meet he would come up with
a million things big and small to debate - he was always looking with
interest for new horizons to expand into, whether gardening or
neurology, cats or politics, sailing or spiritual wisdom.

I deeply wish that he would not have had to suffer pain and discomfort
in his last days of this life, but yet I feel he was not one to back
off from the challenge of learning and growing from the experience.

He told me back in 1998 that he was Scamizdat. He told it simply, as a
matter of fact, and we never much talked about it. Anyone seriously
involved in exposing, discussing or defending the CoS on the net will
understand the impact of what he did.

Still, more important is that Joe passed away as a man loved by many.
I will not say "rest in peace" - I can't imagine him in any other
situation than eagerly looking forward to new, wonderful adventures.

See you around, Joe.

Tänker på dig Birgitta. Tack för allt du gjort för Joe.

Catarina

http://xenu.just.nu

Birgitta

Jan 26, 2001, 4:00:55 PM1/26/01
On Fri, 26 Jan 2001 15:58:32 GMT, penz...@my-deja.com wrote:

>In article <e1g17tcpd4146v98v...@4ax.com>,
> Birgitta <birg...@boberg.nu> wrote:
>
>> My husband Joseph J. Harrington left his body on the 25th of January
>> 2001 at 10.30 pm local time.
>
>Sorry to hear bid, you have my sympathy. You know i always liked Joe.
>And sorry for all the troubles i may have caused to him or you.
>
>lex

I told Joe about your nice respons regarding him the other day ... he
smiled and said "yeah, thats the old Lex, she has a good heart
somewhere inside, but she forgets to use it all the time. She's
playing games".

Please come on Joe Harringtons wake on Saturday. I want us to be
joined in friendship and respect for him for this day, and nothing
could have made him more happy than achieving a day of peace between
all of us. His love was not limited to only a few people. He knew and
understood the meaning of unconditional love.

Bid

Mistmagoo55

Jan 26, 2001, 5:29:44 PM1/26/01
>Subject: Joe Harrington is gone
>From: Birgitta birg...@boberg.nu
>Date: 1/25/01 7:27 PM Eastern Standard Time
>

>My husband Joseph J. Harrington left his body on the 25th of January
>2001 at 10.30 pm local time.

Bid,

I sit here wishing you were closer physically. I can only tell you I know the
world is a better place because of Joe.

He fought hard for what he believed in, and he loved all he knew. Especially
you as you know! It has been a joy to watch your love together, and I can only
hope you celebrate that connection you two had, even if it was cut short, as it
was.

He will always be in your heart...and I know you gave him something he will
keep for eternity.

Bless you both! May Joe be dancing with the angels and I hope you will stay
close. If there is anything I can do, please just write me, OK?

My love to you, Bid,,,,

Tory
Aka Magoo!

Thomas J Best

Jan 26, 2001, 5:31:53 AM1/26/01

Birgitta <birg...@boberg.nu> wrote in message
> My husband Joseph J. Harrington left his body on the 25th of January
> 2001 at 10.30 pm local time.
>
> He had a smile on his lips and looked very peaceful with a red rose in
> his hand and red roses and a candle light aside.
> The taperecorder was playing the "Going Home" tape to help him in his
> transition, as he had asked for.
>
> He wanted me to leave the room 30 minutes before he left, as he didn't
> want to leave me - he thought it was better that I left him.
>
> I am glad that he finally could get rest from all those terrible
> pains.
>
> We did not have more than 3 years together, but the time we had was
> filled of love and learning.
>
> Thanks to all who has given us support and warming words and loving
> thoughts.
>
> Birgitta (Bid) Harrington

Dear Bid,
My condolences.

tam

justWog

Jan 26, 2001, 6:53:07 PM1/26/01
Bid,

Please accept my most heartfelt sympathy. Joe will be missed by all of
us... he had a certian serenity which will be missed here and on IRC
chat.

You are in my thoughts.

Love,
Bob
aka justWog

In article <e1g17tcpd4146v98v...@4ax.com>,
Birgitta <birg...@boberg.nu> wrote:

> My husband Joseph J. Harrington left his body on the 25th of January
> 2001 at 10.30 pm local time.
>
> He had a smile on his lips and looked very peaceful with a red rose in
> his hand and red roses and a candle light aside.
> The taperecorder was playing the "Going Home" tape to help him in his
> transition, as he had asked for.
>
> He wanted me to leave the room 30 minutes before he left, as he didn't
> want to leave me - he thought it was better that I left him.
>
> I am glad that he finally could get rest from all those terrible
> pains.
>
> We did not have more than 3 years together, but the time we had was
> filled of love and learning.
>
> Thanks to all who has given us support and warming words and loving
> thoughts.
>
> Birgitta (Bid) Harrington

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

Dave Bird

Jan 26, 2001, 8:04:15 PM1/26/01
In article<3A7121...@virgin.net>, Roland writes:
>He will be sadly missed by all the critics here.

Thank you, Joe Harrington, for much good work done.

and if this world in some small way
is fairer, kinder, or more free,
for our having been in it:
that is enough; that is enough.

le Bon Voyage

--
(\o/\o/) we are each of us angels with only one wing (\o/\o/)
jgs /_\/_\ and can only fly by embracing each other /_\/_\

Dave Bird

Jan 26, 2001, 8:04:15 PM1/26/01
==== REPOSTED, SEE END OF ARTICLE ====

Subject: cmsg cancel <8nXtccGP...@xemu.demon.co.uk>
From: Dave Bird <da...@xemu.demon.co.uk>
Newsgroups: deakin.games,alt.religion.scientology
Date: 27 Jan 2001 02:39:35 GMT

<8nXtccGP...@xemu.demon.co.uk>

hkhe...@pacbell.net

Jan 26, 2001, 10:38:43 PM1/26/01
In article <20010126172944...@ng-fc1.aol.com>,

mistm...@aol.com (Mistmagoo55) wrote:
> >Subject: Joe Harrington is gone
> >From: Birgitta birg...@boberg.nu
> >Date: 1/25/01 7:27 PM Eastern Standard Time
> >

> >My husband Joseph J. Harrington left his body on the 25th of January
> >2001 at 10.30 pm local time.

Tory said it better than I could. Keith Henson

> Bid,
>
> I sit here wishing you were closer physically. I can only tell you I
know the
> world is a better place because of Joe.
>
> He fought hard for what he believed in, and he loved all he knew.
Especially
> you as you know! It has been a joy to watch your love together, and I
can only
> hope you celebrate that connection you two had, even if it was cut
short, as it
> was.
>
> He will always be in your heart...and I know you gave him something
he will
> keep for eternity.
>
> Bless you both! May Joe be dancing with the angels and I hope you
will stay
> close. If there is anything I can do, please just write me, OK?
>
> My love to you, Bid,,,,
>
> Tory
> Aka Magoo!

Michael Reuss

Jan 27, 2001, 1:41:00 AM1/27/01
> Birgitta <birg...@boberg.nu> wrote:

> My husband Joseph J. Harrington left his body on the 25th of January
> 2001 at 10.30 pm local time.

My condolences to you, Bid.

From the perspective of someone who didn't know him personally, but
only through his written words, I thought Joe was a good and decent
man.

And I'm sure his last few years were happier for having spent them
with you.

Be well, Bid. Rest in peace, Joe.

Michael Reuss
Honorary Kid

Steve Plakos

Jan 27, 2001, 2:07:55 AM1/27/01
Eonia imni mi
May his memory be eternal.

SP

Birgitta wrote:

> My husband Joseph J. Harrington left his body on the 25th of January
> 2001 at 10.30 pm local time.

Tilman Hausherr

Jan 27, 2001, 2:33:11 AM1/27/01
On Fri, 26 Jan 2001 21:33:41 +0100, Catarina Pamnell
<cata...@pamnell.com> wrote in
<i2l37tcid16vkang1...@4ax.com>:

>Joe was a special guy. Every time we would meet he would come up with
>a million things big and small to debate - he was always looking with
>interest for new horizons to expand into, whether gardening or
>neurology, cats or politics, sailing or spiritual wisdom.
>
>I deeply wish that he would not have had to suffer pain and discomfort
>in his last days of this life, but yet I feel he was not one to back
>off from the challenge of learning and growing from the experience.
>
>He told me back in 1998 that he was Scamizdat. He told it simply, as a
>matter of fact, and we never much talked about it. Anyone seriously
>involved in exposing, discussing or defending the CoS on the net will
>understand the impact of what he did.

What about the other SCAMIZDATs? Have they commited perjury to annoy
scientology, or did Joe only post the first ... SCAMIZDAT texts? And who
posted SCAMIZDAT #10 ?

penz...@my-deja.com

Jan 27, 2001, 7:44:38 AM1/27/01
In article <hlo37tgfu5hp177og...@4ax.com>,
Birgitta <birg...@boberg.nu> wrote:

> I told Joe about your nice respons regarding him the other day ... he
> smiled and said "yeah, thats the old Lex, she has a good heart
> somewhere inside, but she forgets to use it all the time. She's
> playing games".

He was wrong in few things. No old lex, just the same. No good heart,
just a regular. I don't forget anything. I play only hangman.

> Please come on Joe Harringtons wake on Saturday. I want us to be
> joined in friendship and respect for him for this day, and nothing
> could have made him more happy than achieving a day of peace between
> all of us. His love was not limited to only a few people. He knew and
> understood the meaning of unconditional love.

...well i think about it, but i'll be at efnet at evening around 8-10pm
local time thats +2gmt so it'll be 7-9pm in sweden, i think.
Complicating these times.

--
"Penzanze is an agent of Scientology's Office of Special Affairs."
"Don't say I didn't warn you."

Christopher Wood - xenu.ca

Jan 27, 2001, 9:03:47 AM1/27/01
Joe will be remembered for both his character and his deeds, and how
both helped people to understand Scientology's true nature. He'll be
missed.

On Fri, 26 Jan 2001 01:27:53 +0100, Birgitta <birg...@boberg.nu>

wrote:

-- Scientology's gate is down. --

Canadian Scientology information is now at:
http://xenu.ca/

dornford

Jan 27, 2001, 11:05:00 AM1/27/01

My deep condolences.

dornford

realpch

Jan 27, 2001, 1:31:49 PM1/27/01
Oh, so sorry to hear this.
Peach

Zenon Panoussis

Jan 27, 2001, 4:42:01 PM1/27/01

Tilman Hausherr skrev:

> What about the other SCAMIZDATs? Have they commited perjury to annoy
> scientology, or did Joe only post the first ... SCAMIZDAT texts? And who
> posted SCAMIZDAT #10 ?

I remember admitting to being Scamizdat a few years ago, and
encouraging everybody else to admit the same. That was in
connection to the Grady lawsuits, if I remember well, and
several people did. But all that was on ars, not under oath
or in any other formal circumstances. As far as I know the CoS
was very much annoyed without anybody committing perjury or
anything close to it.

Could you be confusing Scamizdat admissions with Johan's
admission to being Vorlon?

oracle@everywhere: The ephemeral source of the eternal truth...

Zenon Panoussis

Jan 27, 2001, 4:44:45 PM1/27/01

Birgitta skrev:

> My husband Joseph J. Harrington left his body on the 25th of January
> 2001 at 10.30 pm local time.

He was a good man. Don't cry over his death; be glad for the
time you had with him.

Chris Owen

Jan 27, 2001, 10:07:10 PM1/27/01
In article <3A7340A9...@xs4all.nl>, Zenon Panoussis
<ora...@xs4all.nl> writes

>I remember admitting to being Scamizdat a few years ago, and
>encouraging everybody else to admit the same. That was in
>connection to the Grady lawsuits, if I remember well, and
>several people did. But all that was on ars, not under oath
>or in any other formal circumstances. As far as I know the CoS
>was very much annoyed without anybody committing perjury or
>anything close to it.
>
>Could you be confusing Scamizdat admissions with Johan's
>admission to being Vorlon?

Forget Scamizdat, what I want to know is who is Spartacus?

--
| Chris Owen - chr...@OISPAMNOlutefisk.demon.co.uk |
| THE TRUTH ABOUT L. RON HUBBARD AND THE UNITED STATES NAVY |

Captain Nerd

Jan 27, 2001, 11:07:46 PM1/27/01

--
Operation: Nerdwatch - http://www.nerdwatch.com
Captain Nerd can be reached at: cpt...@nerdwatch.com
"By the taping of my glasses, something geeky this way passes."

I.S.Rennie

Jan 29, 2001, 6:53:02 AM1/29/01
Chris Owen wrote:

> In article <3A7340A9...@xs4all.nl>, Zenon Panoussis
> <ora...@xs4all.nl> writes
> >
> >I remember admitting to being Scamizdat a few years ago, and
> >encouraging everybody else to admit the same. That was in
> >connection to the Grady lawsuits, if I remember well, and
> >several people did. But all that was on ars, not under oath
> >or in any other formal circumstances. As far as I know the CoS
> >was very much annoyed without anybody committing perjury or
> >anything close to it.
> >
> >Could you be confusing Scamizdat admissions with Johan's
> >admission to being Vorlon?
>
> Forget Scamizdat, what I want to know is who is Spartacus?

I'm Brian of Nazareth, and so is my wife!

El Roto

Jan 29, 2001, 1:55:29 PM1/29/01
In article <3A75599E...@sheffield.ac.uk>,

I knew your dad, Naughtius Maximus.

-
Biggus Dickus

Feadog

Jan 29, 2001, 10:41:15 PM1/29/01
> > > Forget Scamizdat, what I want to know is who is Spartacus?
> > I'm Brian of Nazareth, and so is my wife!
> I knew your dad, Naughtius Maximus.
> Biggus Dickus
...but you DON'T hafta call me Mr. Johnson!

Feadog

NoScieno

Jan 31, 2001, 11:51:18 PM1/31/01
Posted/mailed

Whoops, every once in a while I save a draft to my outbox, to be mailed
later, then forget that I had not sent it. Oh well, better late than
never. Though I have not posted in a while, I have kept up with current
events, and the news of Joes passing was saddening indeed.

Oh well, I've had a few days to thynk about how Scientology relates to
death, so maybe I'll just add to it and post it also.

- - - - - - - - - -

The minute I heard about this, I lit a flame.

In article <e1g17tcpd4146v98v...@4ax.com> (Fri, 26 Jan 2001
01:27:53 +0100), birg...@boberg.nu/Birgitta says...

> My husband Joseph J. Harrington left his body on the 25th of January
> 2001 at 10.30 pm local time.
>

> He had a smile on his lips and looked very peaceful with a red rose in
> his hand and red roses and a candle light aside.
> The taperecorder was playing the "Going Home" tape to help him in his
> transition, as he had asked for.

Candles and roses are good, as are particularly beloved particles of
music. If one must depart in pain, one ought to at least be surrounded
by loved ones, dignity, and comforting things, and not be utterly alone.
Joe was fortunate indeed to have love, comfort, and dignity in his final
moments.
- - - - - -

Lisa McPherson died utterly alone, in embarassment, and surrounded by
indifference. Beyond the sphere of compassion, she was forsaken by those
she had come to trust and depend on to defend her, or even advocate on
her behalf.

No one should meet such an end, and I don't only mean the physical abuse
and neglect. Indifference permeates the Scientology machine, all the way
from the very first "what's true for you..." i.e. "whatever-whatever,"
to the final "couldn't 'measure up' as a scn, failed, that's why you
think you were deceived, go away, get over it or EOC." Oh, everyone is
so *concerned* for your eternal spirit, they're willing to do anything to
help you force the weak-willed and degraded meat body you're trapped in
to comply with the program, so you can go free.

"Be bloody ethical," writes the registrar to the dead man.

"[so-and-so] dropped the body, was given 21-year SO leave, hope to see
him again soon." Did Lisa McPherson even get one of those announcements
in The Auditor newspaper?... Hmm - I don't think I ever saw that
discussed in a.r.s., I would assume not.

"She died. People die."
-- Captain David Miscaviage, eccleasiastic leader of Scientology

Oh she did get a "Foundation" in her name, didn't she. Yes, two of them
in fact. Scientology registered the trade names "Lisa McPherson
Foundation" and "Lisa Foundation." Of course, Bob Minton *made* them do
that, and so far as I know no one in Scientology, not even Benetta
Slaughter or anyone else who lived and worked alongside her has done
anything, not organized so much as a food drive for the hungry in her
honor, not even a web page - not even a Scientologist(sm)-On-Line(tm)
spam page for crying out loud, to remember her by. It's as if they got
the name "Lisa McPherson" attached to "Foundation" in order to kill and
bury it. Total indifference, simultaneously attacking the Trust every
way they can, which, apparently, at least doesn't include on grounds of
trademark infringement.

No man is an island, as the saying goes. We are all connected, even if
only by coincidence. Denying this makes it no less real. Lisa depended
on her associates, her colleagues, her fellow parishioners, her
"friends," and they let her down hard. She had literally no one to help
her, no one to throw away the fucking Intro RD course pack she was stuck
on the first goddamned checksheet of, and get her to a real doctor.

Alone. What an abysmal state of being, and what a terrible end.

Lisa Mcpherson's blood is on the hands of every one of her fellow
scientologists who didn't have the courage to advocate, and won't be
washed away until the last dictatorial policy that helped create such a
scene is stamped "CANCELLED" in big red letters - publically, and with
complete atonement for all the harm ever caused by them.

It is the height of bigotry to abandon one's native principles, of
compassion for one's fellows, to the emotionless will of mass agreement.
It goes well beyond ignorance, into the realm of indifference.

The opposite of love is not hate, it is indifference - not caring. Even
the most venomous hatred at least has some sort of emotion. Indifference,
by definition, is that which does not matter one way or the other.

But back to Joe....

Bid,

You know there was rejoicing in the halls of Scientology. Some might
have lit off firecrackers at the news of Joe's passing, but certainly not
candles. Some will be scheming now, how best to make the worst of it for
you and others who loved him, but certainly no prayers.

I see so many wonderful and eloquent responses on a.r.s. to this sad
news.

Perhaps Joe may have read some of my posts to a.r.s. over the past few
years - I would be honored to think that I might have been permitted to
touch his life in some way. He certainly has touched mine, just by
communicating his gentle compassionate nature.

I, as someone not well-known if at all to Joe or yourself, am mindful
that any expressions of sympathy on my part are necessarily those of an
outsider, but nonetheless I offer my humble condolances, a few insights,
and a poem.

In keeping with one of my personal spiritual maxims,

"Pray for the living, light candles for the dead."

Prayers are no tangible use to the spirit of the dead - they are *there*,
they *made it*. Callous, it might seem at first, but they really have no
further *use* for prayers by the living. I thynk that's a significant
point of agreement between the religious and the atheistic, BTW.

Candles for the spirit of the living, for that matter, aren't much use
either, in my estimation, other than a general warming of the immediate
area with their nice peaceful glow - which of course doesn't rule out
ceremonial use, and obviously if someone goes missing and you don't know
if they're okay, you light candles *and* pray.

All of my votive candles are lit tonight [27-Jan], beginning with the
nice brass ones my mother gave me - made, as it happens, by Metallslöjden
Gusum - souvenirs of her trip to Sweden many years ago. I will continue
to feed them wax shavings for ten days, then allow them to burn out on
their own. (Enrico Caruso 1902-1920 is on the CD changer tonight as well.
That's beside the point, but Lord what a voice.)

[31-Jan note: yes, the candles are still going... and it's a 12-disc set]

It is not important if one or more go out before that 10-day time is up,
so long as the spark shared among them remains alive throughout the span.
It's kind of like the Olympic flame idea.

(technical aside: A kerosene/parafin lamp kept lit alongside is good
insurance, and is in no way "cheating," and always remember, it's
hazardous to leave lit candles unattended. I'm sure Joe wouldn't want
anyone burning their house down for him)

But per my bad habit, I digress....

My prayers those coming days are directed toward comforting your loss, if
it please God.

Do not stand at my grave and weep
I am not there
I do not sleep

I am the thousand winds that blow
I am the diamonds glint at snow
I am the gentle autumn rain
I am the green of spring's refrain

When you awake in the morning's hush
I am the swift uplifting rush
I am the quiet birds in circling flight
I am the soft star that shines by night

Do not stand at my grave and cry
I am not there
I did not die

-author unknown

There is an ancient native-american belief, that the spirit will live so
long as there is someone to remember it. I believe that, in life, the
quality of one's love, the strength of one's integrity, and the humility
of one's existence, determines the wealth of one's - for lack of a better
term, heavenly reward.

It is not so much *that* we are remembered, but *how* we are remembered,
that matters, because that is all that the living will have: their memory
of us. In this sense, Joe will have peace and "life everlasting" that
can never be taken away from him.

God bless you and yours, Bid.

Nosey
--
NoScieno accepts NoMail (spam block) Try "Thynkr"(same.isp)

NoScieno

Feb 3, 2001, 9:07:07 AM2/3/01
In article <3a78e...@news2.lightlink.com> (Wed, 31 Jan 2001 22:51:18 -
0600), nosc...@aol.com/NoScieno says...

> [31-Jan note: yes, the candles are still going... and it's a 12-disc set]
>
> It is not important if one or more go out before that 10-day time is up,
> so long as the spark shared among them remains alive throughout the span.
> It's kind of like the Olympic flame idea.

Still burning, will be for a few more days.

If Joe hasn't contacted Bid by now, either he will within the next few
days, or she missed it, or there's no hurry.

Follow your dreams Bid, follow your dreams.