Look up Scientology lobbyists!

1 view

banchukita

Jul 12, 2007, 6:12:22 AM7/12/07
Use the name of your favorite front group and have fun!

http://sopr.senate.gov/

JAFAW

Jul 12, 2007, 7:19:47 AM7/12/07

"banchukita" <banch...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> Use the name of your favorite front group and have fun!
>
> http://sopr.senate.gov/

Back To Query Page

# Registrant Client Filing Type Filing Period Filing Year
1. MITCHELL CO CHURCH OF SCIENTOLOGY INTL REGISTRATION 2003
2. MITCHELL CO CHURCH OF SCIENTOLOGY INTL YEAR-END REPORT Year-End (July
1 - Dec 31) 2003
3. MITCHELL CO CHURCH OF SCIENTOLOGY INTL MID-YEAR REPORT Mid-Year (Jan
1- Jun 30) 2004
4. MITCHELL CO CHURCH OF SCIENTOLOGY INTL YEAR-END REPORT Year-End (July
1 - Dec 31) 2004
5. MITCHELL CO CHURCH OF SCIENTOLOGY INTL MID-YEAR REPORT Mid-Year (Jan
1- Jun 30) 2005
6. MITCHELL CO CHURCH OF SCIENTOLOGY INTL YEAR-END REPORT Year-End (July
1 - Dec 31) 2005
7. MITCHELL CO CHURCH OF SCIENTOLOGY INTL YEAR-END AMENDMENT Year-End
(July 1 - Dec 31) 2005
8. MITCHELL CO CHURCH OF SCIENTOLOGY INTL MID-YEAR REPORT Mid-Year (Jan
1- Jun 30) 2006
9. MITCHELL CO CHURCH OF SCIENTOLOGY INTL YEAR-END REPORT Year-End (July
1 - Dec 31) 2006

(the following long link might wrap badly in your reader in which case
you'll have to copy & paste into your browser in sections....
http://sopr.senate.gov/cgi-win/m_opr_viewer.exe?DoFn=3&CLI=CHURCH%20OF%20SCI
ENTOLOGY%20INTL&CLIQUAL==

From the scans....
Client Name:
Chuch of Scientology
Lobbyist registrant:
Greg Mitchell
The Mitchell Company, Arlington, VA.
email glmitc...@verizon.net

Hmm, that's the verizon.net ISP in VA that some of the ARS cult shite comes
from (for example, Truthseeker's ISP in Reston VA, which would supply the
surrounding area including Arlington VA).
How about we email glmitc...@verizon.net and see what comes back in the
reply headers as his IP address? Can anyone here in the US think of a good
question to ask him to guarantee a reply? Perhaps an enticing request for
information of his sevices, prices etc. (money, or the promise of, usually
talks).

Android Cat

Jul 12, 2007, 7:50:00 AM7/12/07
banchukita wrote:
> Use the name of your favorite front group and have fun!
>
> http://sopr.senate.gov/

Only one lobbyist registered for Citizens for Social Reform, and he doesn't
seem too active:
http://sopr.senate.gov/cgi-win/m_opr_viewer.exe?DoFn=3&CLI=CITIZENS%20FOR%20SOCIAL%20REFORM&CLIQUAL==
MITCHELL CO

Same guy for Church of Scientology:
http://sopr.senate.gov/cgi-win/m_opr_viewer.exe?DoFn=3&CLI=CHURCH%20OF%20SCIENTOLOGY%20INTL&CLIQUAL==

Only one lobbyist registered for Citizens Commission on Human Rights, and
not recently (1998):
http://sopr.senate.gov/cgi-win/m_opr_viewer.exe?DoFn=3&CLI=CITIZENS%20COMMISSION%20ON%20HUMAN%20RIGHTS&CLIQUAL==
CENTER FOR CONSERVATIVE POLICY (DBA/WINKELMANN & ASSOC)
Actually there's no reference to CCHR of the form pages, so I dunno.

Narconon, Criminon: none.

The search does seem to be picky. A search for just "Scientology" didn't
return any results.

--
Ron of that ilk.

banchukita

Jul 12, 2007, 8:39:52 AM7/12/07
On Jul 12, 7:50 am, "Android Cat" <androidca...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> banchukita wrote:
> > Use the name of your favorite front group and have fun!
>
> >http://sopr.senate.gov/
>
> Only one lobbyist registered for Citizens for Social Reform, and he doesn't
> seem too active:http://sopr.senate.gov/cgi-win/m_opr_viewer.exe?DoFn=3&CLI=CITIZENS%2...
> MITCHELL CO
>
> Same guy for Church of Scientology:http://sopr.senate.gov/cgi-win/m_opr_viewer.exe?DoFn=3&CLI=CHURCH%20O...

> Only one lobbyist registered for Citizens Commission on Human Rights, and
> not recently (1998):http://sopr.senate.gov/cgi-win/m_opr_viewer.exe?DoFn=3&CLI=CITIZENS%2...

> CENTER FOR CONSERVATIVE POLICY (DBA/WINKELMANN & ASSOC)
> Actually there's no reference to CCHR of the form pages, so I dunno.
>
> Narconon, Criminon: none.
>
> The search does seem to be picky. A search for just "Scientology" didn't
> return any results.

It is picky; I found RTC and CSI, and Author Services, but only by
spelling them out. Nothing for ABLE, FASE, Way to Happiness
Foundation.

It's most interesting to look at the legislation and issues they were
hired to address.

Copyright, trade secret, 'explaining religious intolerance in Germany
to Congress.'
Still wondering what the Piracy and Education thing was about.

-maggie, human being

banchukita

Jul 17, 2007, 10:38:04 AM7/17/07
On Jul 12, 7:50 am, "Android Cat" <androidca...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> banchukita wrote:
> > Use the name of your favorite front group and have fun!
>
> >http://sopr.senate.gov/
>
> Only onelobbyistregistered for Citizens for Social Reform, and he doesn't
> seem too active:http://sopr.senate.gov/cgi-win/m_opr_viewer.exe?DoFn=3&CLI=CITIZENS%2...
> MITCHELL CO
>
> Same guy for Church of Scientology:http://sopr.senate.gov/cgi-win/m_opr_viewer.exe?DoFn=3&CLI=CHURCH%20O...

barbz posted this in 2005 under the header New Promo Monkey:

http://www.hillnews.com/business/121703_bottomline.aspx

HEEDING THE CALL. Greg Mitchell, a former Capitol Hill aide and
Republican fundraiser, has established a government relations firm
with
only one client: the Church of Scientology. About a year ago,
Mitchell
left Washington to return to his native California, where he coached
swim team and worked on his writing. But a call from his church
brought
him back this fall.

Mitchell, who became a Scientologist a few years ago, has signed on
lobby through his firm Mitchell & Co. on behalf of the church for the
Association for Better Living and Education (ABLE), a nonprofit
organization that runs social programs using the philosophies of L.
Ron
Hubbard, the founder of Scientology.

-maggie, human being

> Only onelobbyistregistered for Citizens Commission on Human Rights, and
> not recently (1998):http://sopr.senate.gov/cgi-win/m_opr_viewer.exe?DoFn=3&CLI=CITIZENS%2...

banchukita

Jul 17, 2007, 11:08:10 AM7/17/07
On Jul 12, 6:12 am, banchukita <banchuk...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Use the name of your favorite front group and have fun!
>
> http://sopr.senate.gov/

Okay, here's a little report on information gleaned from the records
publicly available at the above link.

RTC: The records go from 1998. In that year, lobbyists David H. Miller
and his associate Stephen D. Amitay, along with legislative
coordiantor Lybra Clemons, were paid $420,000 to deal with copyright
privacy, trade secret theft and intellectual property protection
legislation (H Con. Res 325).

A year later, Lybra was no longer lobbying for the client. In 1999
and 2000, David and Stephen were paid $460,000 (over the two years) to
persuade our elected officials that religious deiscrimination in
Germany was out of control, and something about intellectual rights in
Sweden (Sten Arne?).

In 2002, they were paid over $200,000 to address the protection of
intellectual property rights at home and in Europe. (HRS 588).

in 2003, they were paid $120,000 to deal with religious discrimination
in Europe.

In 2003, Stephen Amitay was consulting on his own for RTC, and dealt
mostly with protection for copyrighted material and intellectual
property rights issues. In 2004, he was paid less tha $10,000 to deal
with HR 4007, Piracy Deterrence and Education Act of 2004.

CST: Interestingly, I cannot access any of the .jpg images of forms
filed by Grunfeld, Desiderio, Lebowitz, Silverman & Klestadt LLP in
NYC. They registered as representing CST in 2005 and have filed a
2005 Year End report and a 2005 Year End Amendment. I can only access
one 2006 mid-year report that shows the name Barry Hipshman was paid
less than $10,000 for no activity. There is also a 2006 year-end
report I cannot access.

AUTHOR SERVICES: Nicholas and Charles Wise [heh] of Wise & Assoc.
worked the senate and the house for Author Services from 1998 to 2000,
covering issues such as copyright term extension, HR 2589, S. 505 and
copyright issues relating to Berne convention.

CSI: Lots of activity here, and just since 2003. Greg Mitchell of
The Mitchell Company filed registration in Nov 2003 and listed CSI's
business as "religion, social betterment programs dealing with drug
abuse/addiction, illiteracy, crime, moral decay and detoxification."

He has been paid between $40,000 and $80,000 each report [mid year and
end of year] to address these issues. Most of them he's having to work
each year since the beginning, such as:

Two earmark funding requests for 'Applied Scholastics' literacy
programs in St. Louis, MO and Memphis, TN.

Earmark funding request for NY Rescue Workers Detoxification Project.

Introduction of a prisoner reentry bill [Second chance?].

Introduction of amendment to bankrupcy law to protect religions and
charitable organizations.

And in his handwritten words on ahis 2004 report: To get 'Narconon'
drug rehabilitation program accepted and supported by federal
government. Also the 'Narconon' drug prevention education program."

and "Trying to win support for putting Criminon criminal reform
programs into federal and military prisons." [at first it was just for
a pilot program in a federal prison]

And in 2003: "Opening of new church building in Buffalo and San
Francisco, to increase awareness of newly renovated buildings"

In 2005, he was paid $100,000 to raise awareness of Narconon,
Criminon, and Applied Scholastics education and literacy programs, and
push for prisoner rentry legislation, and earmark funding for that
pesky NY Detox project.

He also submitted earmark funding requests for NY Detox and Applied
Scholastics to the House Appropriations Subcommittee on Labor, Health
and Human Services, Education and Related Agencies [caps his].

He also worked for the Second Chance Act of 2005, a bill to
r"eauthorize the grant program of the Department of Justice for
reendtry of offenders into the community; to establish a task force on
Federal programs and activitied relating to the renetry of offenders
in to the community, and for other purposes."

In a 2005 year End Report Amendment, Greg mentioned his work on
"Provision (HTS) 9810.00.9000 to remedy an unconstitutional burden on
many religions. As currently written, the Customs Tariff does not
contain a religiously neutral provision which grants duty free
classificaiton to imported religious articles of workshop without
denominational preference. It thus creates an unconstitutional burden
for many religious, despite the fact that the Religious Freedom
Restoration Act required federal statutes to be applied in a manner
that does not burden any religion."

In Mid-year 2006, Greg reported being paid $40,000 but must have been
getting tired of lobbying for the same earmakr funding requests for
Applied Scholastics in Memphis and NY Detox. he also stood up for H
Res 820 expressing support for celebrations of Human Rights Day and
Human Rights Week. he also worked on HR1704 and S 1934, the Second
Chance Act of 2006...and for other purposes.

Greg's year-end report for 2006 was, like almost all the ones for CST,
not coming up on my computer [just the little box with the red x].

-maggie, human being

R. Hill

Jul 17, 2007, 12:26:57 PM7/17/07
banchukita wrote:
> On Jul 12, 6:12 am, banchukita <banchuk...@yahoo.com> wrote:

<snip>

Do I get this right?

According to the Form 990/Schedule A/Part III-1 of almost all
Scientology 'secular' fronts, they are not funding attempts "to
influence national, state, or local legislation, including any attempt
to influence public opinion on a legislative matters. (I say "almost
all" because CCHR discloses lobbying expenses.)

However, Greg Mitchell, through his "The Mitchell Company", lobbies on
behalf of Church of Scientology International ("CSI").

CSI is the receiving end for all the license fees of Scientology's
'secular' fronts.

Therefore, even though Scientology secular fronts do not disclose
lobbying expenses, there are funds spent on lobbying for the interest of
these 'secular' fronts, through CSI.

Ray.

--
"I started thinking, and I got carried away"
- Dan Garvin, former scientologist

"We simply do as [L. Ron Hubbard] says"
- Dennis Clarke, scientologist

Android Cat

Jul 17, 2007, 1:12:19 PM7/17/07

Greg Mitchell is also the lobbyist for the Citizens for Social Reform PAC
front, which was specially created to do the political stuff that their
secular/religious fronts weren't supposed to.

The "Suggested Handling" text on that, detailing the restrictions:
http://web.archive.org/web/20041010000918/http://www.citizensforsocialreform.org/Pages/StatisticsAndInfo.html

Perhaps Greg Mitchell just forgot which hat he was supposed to be wearing,
from moment to moment, when he was filing out the paperwork?

maggie

Jul 18, 2007, 6:51:48 AM7/18/07

"Android Cat" <androi...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

ASSOCIATION OF CITIZENS FOR SOCIAL REFORM Lobby activity began March 22,
2004 and terminated in
2006 after working on the Child Medication Safety Act of 2004 HR1170 and
S1390, and doing a little Criminon push.

[And there were three different termination reports - on variations of the
organization's name]

So that's all they did...wonder what happened to all the money they raised?
Because they only paid Mitchell less than ten grand
every six months. Maybe he was wearing one of those "Will Work for Auditing"
signs.

cultxpt

Jul 18, 2007, 2:05:27 PM7/18/07

Thanks Maggie! That's a lot of information gleaned about Scientology.
I'm sure there are several ways to get indirect information like this
that we haven't thought of yet.

Feisty

Jul 18, 2007, 5:48:15 PM7/18/07

"maggie" <banch...@removeme.yahoo.com> wrote in message

It's interesting to know who lobbied for this. I saw in 2004 "Criminon International"
as a signor on the Human Rights Watch website to propose this federal legislation.

Also listed here:

http://www.lobbysearch.com/cgi-bin/display_player.pl?id=20060627162724
Greg Mitchell

Mitchell Company
6105 Larkspur Drive
Alexandria, VA 22310
Phone: 202-669-4065

>>> CSI is the receiving end for all the license fees of Scientology's
>>> 'secular' fronts.
>>>
>>> Therefore, even though Scientology secular fronts do not disclose
>>> lobbying expenses, there are funds spent on lobbying for the interest
>>> of these 'secular' fronts, through CSI.
>>
>> Greg Mitchell is also the lobbyist for the Citizens for Social Reform PAC
>> front, which was specially created to do the political stuff that their
>> secular/religious fronts weren't supposed to.
>>
>> The "Suggested Handling" text on that, detailing the restrictions:
>> http://web.archive.org/web/20041010000918/http://www.citizensforsocialreform.org/Pages/StatisticsAndInfo.html
>>
>> Perhaps Greg Mitchell just forgot which hat he was supposed to be wearing,
>> from moment to moment, when he was filing out the paperwork?
>>

> ASSOCIATION OF CITIZENS FOR SOCIAL REFORM Lobby activity began March 22, 2004 and
> terminated in
> 2006 after working on the Child Medication Safety Act of 2004 HR1170 and S1390, and
> doing a little Criminon push.
>
> [And there were three different termination reports - on variations of the
> organization's name]
>
> So that's all they did...wonder what happened to all the money they raised? Because
> they only paid Mitchell less than ten grand
> every six months. Maybe he was wearing one of those "Will Work for Auditing" signs.

2004 was an interesting year. It was the year the CSR was going to "handle those
idiots" after the November election.

http://www.lermanet.com/scientology-in-government/csr-citizens-for-social-reform.htm

Currently, few government leaders know about our tech/solutions.

* Greg Mitchell: Greg is the Director of Government Affairs for CSR. His firm
represents CSR in Washington, D.C. on all lobbying activities. Among his other
clients are the Church of Scientology and ABLE Int. Greg entered was previously the
Chief of Staff for former U.S. Congressman Jim Rogan. In that capacity, he became
very experienced in how the political process works--and he's going to share the
knowledge with us at this briefing.

But before the election, Greg Mitchell was active in Maryland, to start a website up
to enhance "Democracy."

http://www.hindu.com/2006/03/24/stories/2006032421410500.htm
`Lobbyists under scanner in U.S.'

HYDERABAD: The fallout of the Jack Abramoff scandal in the United States is sure to
make people think twice before every action in their lobbying career, said Greg
Mitchell, a prominent Washington lobbyist.

In active politics since 1991 as a campaign manager-fundraiser , he wanted to empower
individuals, and said a Senator had a responsibility towards the people who voted for
him. "That's what has made me and Saud Khan come together," he said, describing how
he teamed up with Mr. Khan, Vice-President (Marketing) of V-Empower Inc, a company
developing web solutions, with an office here in Hyderabad.

V-Empower Inc manages the portals - "www.indiademocracy.com and www.jantaraj.com"
for Indians and "www.statedemocracy.com" for Americans. Mr. Mitchell said empowering
people was his passion and "I am here to see how I can take things forward. I am sure
true education is the only way to empower people. I have met Chief Minister Y.S.
Rajasekhara Reddy. I have asked him to be allowed to adopt a school for a pilot
project," he said.

====

There is a foundation, http://www.statedemocracy.com/aboutus/foundation/founder.jsp
I have not found that Greg Mitchell has anything to do with this group now, but looks
to have had something to start the group, per the above report.

Its Motto is to "Empower the Masses".

http://www.statedemocracy.com/index.jsp

The StateDemocracy Foundation is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit Organization that operates
this website as a free public service
====

The same company helped in the November, 2004 election

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/articleshow/909999.cms

City IT centre made software for US polls

V-Empower, an IT startup with its headquarters in Bowie, Maryland and having a
development centre in Hyderabad, has provided IT applications to various private
websites that played a key role in the US election process.

Maureen

banchukita

Jul 19, 2007, 12:35:39 PM7/19/07
On Jul 18, 5:48 pm, "Feisty" <su...@skytoday.com> wrote:
> "maggie" <banchuk...@removeme.yahoo.com> wrote in message

> > "Android Cat" <androidca...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >>http://web.archive.org/web/20041010000918/http://www.citizensforsocia...

> >> Perhaps Greg Mitchell just forgot which hat he was supposed to be wearing,
> >> from moment to moment, when he was filing out the paperwork?
>
> > ASSOCIATION OF CITIZENS FOR SOCIAL REFORM Lobby activity began March 22, 2004 and
> > terminated in
> > 2006 after working on the Child Medication Safety Act of 2004 HR1170 and S1390, and
> > doing a little Criminon push.
>
> > [And there were three different termination reports - on variations of the
> > organization's name]
>
> > So that's all they did...wonder what happened to all the money they raised? Because
> > they only paid Mitchell less than ten grand
> > every six months. Maybe he was wearing one of those "Will Work for Auditing" signs.
>
> 2004 was an interesting year. It was the year the CSR was going to "handle those
> idiots" after the November election.
>
> http://www.lermanet.com/scientology-in-government/csr-citizens-for-so...

> Currently, few government leaders know about our tech/solutions.
>
> * Greg Mitchell: Greg is the Director of Government Affairs for CSR. His firm
> represents CSR in Washington, D.C. on all lobbying activities. Among his other
> clients are the Church of Scientology and ABLE Int.

Hm.. He's not registered as a lobbyist for ABLE.
ABLE doesn't come up at all on the list.

-maggie, human being

>Greg entered was previously the
> Chief of Staff for former U.S. Congressman Jim Rogan. In that capacity, he became
> very experienced in how the political process works--and he's going to share the
> knowledge with us at this briefing.
>
> But before the election, Greg Mitchell was active in Maryland, to start a website up
> to enhance "Democracy."
>
> http://www.hindu.com/2006/03/24/stories/2006032421410500.htm
> `Lobbyists under scanner in U.S.'
>
> HYDERABAD: The fallout of the Jack Abramoff scandal in the United States is sure to
> make people think twice before every action in their lobbying career, said Greg
> Mitchell, a prominent Washington lobbyist.
>
> In active politics since 1991 as a campaign manager-fundraiser , he wanted to empower
> individuals, and said a Senator had a responsibility towards the people who voted for
> him. "That's what has made me and Saud Khan come together," he said, describing how
> he teamed up with Mr. Khan, Vice-President (Marketing) of V-Empower Inc, a company
> developing web solutions, with an office here in Hyderabad.
>
> V-Empower Inc manages the portals - "www.indiademocracy.comandwww.jantaraj.com"
> for Indians and "www.statedemocracy.com" for Americans. Mr. Mitchell said empowering
> people was his passion and "I am here to see how I can take things forward. I am sure
> true education is the only way to empower people. I have met Chief Minister Y.S.
> Rajasekhara Reddy. I have asked him to be allowed to adopt a school for a pilot
> project," he said.
>
> ====
>

> There is a foundation,http://www.statedemocracy.com/aboutus/foundation/founder.jsp

> I have not found that Greg Mitchell has anything to do with this group now, but looks
> to have had something to start the group, per the above report.
>
> Its Motto is to "Empower the Masses".
>
> http://www.statedemocracy.com/index.jsp
>
> The StateDemocracy Foundation is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit Organization that operates
> this website as a free public service
> ====
>
> The same company helped in the November, 2004 election
>
> http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/articleshow/909999.cms
>
> City IT centre made software for US polls
>
> V-Empower, an IT startup with its headquarters in Bowie, Maryland and having a
> development centre in Hyderabad, has provided IT applications to various private
> websites that played a key role in the US election process.
>
> Maureen
>

> >> --

> >> Ron of that ilk.- Hide quoted text -

Feisty

Jul 20, 2007, 3:17:43 PM7/20/07

"banchukita" <banch...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Must be a matter of that Hubbard accounting again...

He's listed on ABLE's website under "Criminon DC" (Criminon is under the ABLE
umbrella)

http://www.able.org/contact/global-locator/?groups=criminon

Criminon DC
1200 North Veitch St.