ALSO HELPFUL NEIGHBORS MAY SUCK IT

Skip to the first unread message

Glenn Knickerbocker

16 Feb 2008, 18:57:0516/02/2008
Yes, I appreciate your lending me your pickaxe when I needed it, but do I
really need to be stared at and told repeatedly, "You're working too hard
at it," with no suggestions that would actually reduce the amount of work
involved in getting through two inches of ice? If I were working hard at
all, I wouldn't be out here for you to gawk at anyway because I'm nowhere
near as strong as you seem to think and would have given up long ago.

http://users.bestweb.net/~notr "The notion of objecting to a fake Web
ŹR site on the grounds that it might possibly incite other people
to do bad things is so dangerous to our constitutionally protected
freedoms that it must never be mentioned, even in jest." --Matt McIrvin

John D Salt

16 Feb 2008, 19:05:2516/02/2008
Glenn Knickerbocker <No...@bestweb.net> wrote in

> Yes, I appreciate your lending me your pickaxe when I needed it, but do I
> really need to be stared at and told repeatedly, "You're working too hard
> at it," with no suggestions that would actually reduce the amount of work
> involved in getting through two inches of ice? If I were working hard at
> all, I wouldn't be out here for you to gawk at anyway because I'm nowhere
> near as strong as you seem to think and would have given up long ago.

Ah, but the point about cunningly-skilful pickaxery is that it *does not
require strength*. People who believe this will tell you that you should
lift the pick with a graceful swing, then let it fall. Mr. Gravity will do
most of the work for you.

I suspect this is one of those things like the idea that you don't have to
blow hard to play the trumpet, which is now scientifically proven to be
utter bollocks.

All the best,

John.

foolsrushout

16 Feb 2008, 19:29:5616/02/2008
John D Salt wrote:
> Glenn Knickerbocker <No...@bestweb.net> wrote in
>

>>Yes, I appreciate your lending me your pickaxe when I needed it, but do I
>>really need to be stared at and told repeatedly, "You're working too hard
>>at it," with no suggestions that would actually reduce the amount of work
>>involved in getting through two inches of ice? If I were working hard at
>>all, I wouldn't be out here for you to gawk at anyway because I'm nowhere
>>near as strong as you seem to think and would have given up long ago.
>

> Ah, but the point about cunningly-skilful pickaxery is that it *does not
> require strength*. People who believe this will tell you that you should
> lift the pick with a graceful swing, then let it fall. Mr. Gravity will do
> most of the work for you.

One theory.....

Even more than that, after embedding the point the
occasional user pulls on the handle, working
inefficiently, when the secret to proper use is
to lift it to maximize leverage while breaking
whatever the point is driven into.

Nicko

16 Feb 2008, 19:49:1816/02/2008
On Feb 16, 5:57 pm, Glenn Knickerbocker <N...@bestweb.net> wrote:
> Yes, I appreciate your lending me your pickaxe when I needed it, but do I
> really need to be stared at and told repeatedly, "You're working too hard
> at it," with no suggestions that would actually reduce the amount of work
> involved in getting through two inches of ice?

Your next-door neighbor just wanted to relish your dismemberment of
his frigid wife, Glenn. You probably didn't notice that he was
recording the whole scene.

YouTube video at ele11ven

--
YOP...

Pitui Terrington

16 Feb 2008, 22:41:4716/02/2008

> Yes, I appreciate your lending me your pickaxe when I needed it, but do

> I really need to be stared at and told repeatedly, "You're working too
> hard at it," with no suggestions that would actually reduce the amount
> of work involved in getting through two inches of ice?

I don't blame you for being annoyed. Your neighbor used about 4 or 5 too
many words for "rock salt".

Darla Vladschyk

16 Feb 2008, 23:44:1916/02/2008
On Sat, 16 Feb 2008 18:05:25 -0600, John D Salt
<jdsalt_AT_gotadsl.co.uk> wrote:

>I suspect this is one of those things like the idea that you don't have to
>blow hard to play the trumpet, which is now scientifically proven to be
>utter bollocks.

All trumpet players have to have steel belted radial cheeks.

Tipping a nice glass of sparkling Welsh Perry to the Gokmop...

Darla
Nova Scotia, Canada
--
"I'm still here, you bastards!"
---Papillon

http://www.yougotta.com/DARLA/

Mark Edwards

16 Feb 2008, 23:55:1416/02/2008
No cluons were harmed when John D Salt wrote:
>I suspect this is one of those things like the idea that you don't have
>blow hard to play the trumpet, which is now scientifically proven to
> be utter bollocks.

That's right - "blow" is just a figure of speech...

Mark Edwards
--
Proof of Sanity Forged Upon Request

John D Salt

17 Feb 2008, 05:26:5517/02/2008
Darla Vladschyk <Darl...@Gmail.com> wrote in

> On Sat, 16 Feb 2008 18:05:25 -0600, John D Salt
> <jdsalt_AT_gotadsl.co.uk> wrote:
>
>>I suspect this is one of those things like the idea that you don't
>>have to blow hard to play the trumpet, which is now scientifically
>>proven to be utter bollocks.
>
> All trumpet players have to have steel belted radial cheeks.
>
> Tipping a nice glass of sparkling Welsh Perry to the Gokmop...

Years'n'years ago (late 1970s) I recall reading a piece in "New Scientist"
about an investigation into the pressures exerted in blowing down trumpets,
specifically to test the claim that "you don't need to blow hard" to
produce a note. After cunning cleverness to devise pressure-measuring
devices that could be inserted into a trumpet and still leave it playable,
the boffins were mildly discommoded by the discovery that the amount of
pressure actually occurring completely destroyed their instruments. Back
to the drawing-board, Sedgewick.

The end of the piece, I remember, had a nice cautionary tale showing why
you should test a hypothesis rather than just assert it if you didn't want
real scientists pointing at you and laughing like loons. Someone had found
a paper from about 1901 which claimed that black men could not play the
trumpet, because the shape of their lips made it impossible. So much for
TEH SCIENCE.

All the best,

John.

Darla Vladschyk

17 Feb 2008, 17:54:5717/02/2008

This little bit made my gray Sunday much much more amusing! Thanks,
Gokmop!

Stacia

17 Feb 2008, 22:48:2517/02/2008
On Feb 16, 9:41 pm, Pitui Terrington <Te...@micron.net> wrote:
> Glenn Knickerbocker <N...@bestweb.net> wrote innews:6nter31k5e05pci92...@4ax.com:

> > Yes, I appreciate your lending me your pickaxe when I needed it, but do
> > I really need to be stared at and told repeatedly, "You're working too
> > hard at it," with no suggestions that would actually reduce the amount
> > of work involved in getting through two inches of ice?
>
> I don't blame you for being annoyed. Your neighbor used about 4 or 5 too
> many words for "rock salt".

I thought the same thing. We are geniuses!
There's some expensive brand of ice melty stuff that works wonders.
You can't use it on cracked concrete or brick, though, because it'll
eat right through it, but it will get through 2 inches of ice in an
hour or so. Enough so that you can shovel the slushy stuff left
behind away. I'm not very helpful, though, because I've forgotten the
brand. Prestone, I think, but who knows.

Stacia

Lots42

18 Feb 2008, 06:38:5518/02/2008
On Feb 16, 6:57 pm, Glenn Knickerbocker <N...@bestweb.net> wrote:
> Yes, I appreciate your lending me your pickaxe when I needed it, but do I
> really need to be stared at and told repeatedly, "You're working too hard
> at it," with no suggestions that would actually reduce the amount of work
> involved in getting through two inches of ice?

But...that would require effort! Silly Glenn.

Nicko

18 Feb 2008, 08:21:4218/02/2008

My landlady was so negligent about keeping the breezeway clear of ice
for a couple of winters that the ice had accumulated to depths of over
four inches in some places. It was truly a sight to see. Rock salt
just wouldn't cut through that mess, so one weekend I went to a home
supplies store and got a big ole bag of salt pellets of the type used
in water softeners. Damn the environment, but those big pellets did a
wonderful job of cutting through that ice and keeping it clear. Those
things are just a helluvalot more effective than those puny rock salt
crystals.

phy

18 Feb 2008, 09:22:3518/02/2008
Stacia <glitte...@gmail.com> wrote in news:94d995d6-1656-4308-aa75-
0e9481...@72g2000hsu.googlegroups.com:

> I thought the same thing. We are geniuses!
> There's some expensive brand of ice melty stuff that works wonders.

Reason #77 why the Alabama is better than up there: You can buy a new car
and it won't be rusted out in three years.

-phy

Stacia

18 Feb 2008, 17:33:4818/02/2008
On Feb 18, 8:22 am, phy <phy...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Reason #77 why the Alabama is better than up there: You can buy a new car
> and it won't be rusted out in three years.

Trufax. Eddie's pitiful little Geo Metro is rusted through on the
undercarriage, and of course it's illegal to fix the frame of a car
because it makes Baby Jesus cry or something.
But I'd trade all the craptastic winters in the world for not having
to live in the super hot summers of Alabama.

Stacia

phy

18 Feb 2008, 17:46:0618/02/2008
Stacia <glitte...@gmail.com> wrote in news:14b99bf9-6420-448d-b06c-
5d1005...@e6g2000prf.googlegroups.com:

> But I'd trade all the craptastic winters in the world for not having
> to live in the super hot summers of Alabama.
>
> Stacia

That is why God created air conditioning. But you do have a point. The only
time I really hate it is when I an stuck in that big metal box I work in.

-phy

Glenn Knickerbocker

18 Feb 2008, 20:04:3118/02/2008
Pitui Terrington wrote:
> I don't blame you for being annoyed. Your neighbor used about 4 or 5 too
> many words for "rock salt".

Which is exactly what was going to go on the walk once I cleared away
what ice was already loose enough to pry up, particularly the crust on
the snow on top of the ice on the front walk. And which is what got the
walk and sidewalk mostly clear just in time for the rain to wash the
remaining ice away rather than making an even deeper pool to ice up
tomorrow night.

It was only *after* that salting that I did actually work too hard with
the shovel to clear away the slush, leaving my thumbs still aching like
hell almost two days later.

ŹR

TeaLady (Mari C.)

18 Feb 2008, 23:25:3118/02/2008
Stacia <glitte...@gmail.com> wrote in
ups.com:

Calcium something ? It works great in really cold temps,
those way below freezing points where rock salt gives up and
takes a cruise to warmer climes.

--
TeaLady (mari)

"The principle of Race is meant to embody and express the
utter negation of human freedom, the denial of equal rights, a
challenge in the face of mankind." A. Kolnai

TeaLady (Mari C.)

18 Feb 2008, 23:31:4618/02/2008
Glenn Knickerbocker <No...@bestweb.net> wrote in

Ny favorite of all time sight was when the snows built up on
the ols fire station roof at work, and then partially melted,
refroze, and got too heavy for the old framework. The city's
engineers threatened to condemn the place and kick the poor
firefighters out - it was up to us to figure out where the
apparatus, squads, gear, men, etc., would go (most likely a
rented trailer or three)

In order to remove the ice, the guys put up the tower and
hosed the roof down. In about 25degree temps.

They managed to knock enough ice and semi-iced-snow off the
roof that the engineers ok'd the place for continued use, but
they mandated expensive retrofitting and repairs.

Shortly after that, the new station was approved.

Stacia

19 Feb 2008, 00:00:0419/02/2008
On Feb 18, 10:25 pm, "TeaLady (Mari C.)" <spressob...@yahoo.com>
wrote:

> Calcium something ? It works great in really cold temps,
> those way below freezing points where rock salt gives up and
> takes a cruise to warmer climes.

Oh, calcium chloride - that might be it. I know the stuff we got
was super expensive, and calcium chloride apparently costs quite a bit
more than regular salt. I thought it was Prestone brand, but Prestone
seems to just have "concentrated rock salt", whatever that is, so I
don't think that's the stuff.

Stacia

Glenn Knickerbocker

19 Feb 2008, 01:04:1319/02/2008
On Mon, 18 Feb 2008 21:00:04 -0800 (PST), Stacia wrote:
> Oh, calcium chloride - that might be it.

It's faster that sodium chloride because its solubility increases with
decreasing temperature AND its dissolution is exothermic. There's a
mythical product that's supposed to put salts to shame, PROPELLANT 49.
I found an MSDS for it online that, amazingly, says absolutely nothing
about its chemical composition.

http://users.bestweb.net/~notr Official President of Kevin S. Wilson
"Yeah, and there's a little bit of Elvis in Michael J. Fox, too, but
unfortunately it's the part that makes him shake uncontrollably." ŹR

Glenn Knickerbocker

19 Feb 2008, 01:06:1919/02/2008
On 19 Feb 2008 04:31:46 GMT, TeaLady (Mari C.) wrote:
>In order to remove the ice, the guys put up the tower and
>hosed the roof down. In about 25degree temps.

These were professionals, right? Because, from what I always hear,
volunteer firefighters would have used blowtorches and flamethrowers.

ŹR http://users.bestweb.net/~notr/zangelding.html "When there's
a nuclear attack, that's when buckets are used." --Tim Brown, IUSD

TimC

19 Feb 2008, 04:15:2819/02/2008
On 2008-02-19, Glenn Knickerbocker (aka Bruce)

> On Mon, 18 Feb 2008 21:00:04 -0800 (PST), Stacia wrote:
>> Oh, calcium chloride - that might be it.
>
> It's faster that sodium chloride because its solubility increases with
> decreasing temperature AND its dissolution is exothermic. There's a
> mythical product that's supposed to put salts to shame, PROPELLANT 49.

Sounds very environmentally friendly. Y'all could do to live in a
country with less screwy weather systems. Like Iceland. I hear they
have a better health system too.

> I found an MSDS for it online that, amazingly, says absolutely nothing
> about its chemical composition.

Because it makes baby penguins die. And when baby penguins die, baby
Jesus cries.

--
TimC
>Cats are intended to teach us that not everything in nature has a function.
You're saying cats are the opposite of bijectiveness? -- ST in RHOD

Mark Edwards

19 Feb 2008, 08:53:3819/02/2008
No cluons were harmed when Glenn Knickerbocker wrote:
> There's a
>mythical product that's supposed to put salts to shame, PROPELLANT 49.

ITYM "Propellant 57", used to accelerate the processing of Animal 57.

David DeLaney

19 Feb 2008, 14:56:3519/02/2008
Mark Edwards <Mark-E...@tx.rr.com> wrote:
>No cluons were harmed when Glenn Knickerbocker wrote:
>> There's a
>>mythical product that's supposed to put salts to shame, PROPELLANT 49.
>
>ITYM "Propellant 57", used to accelerate the processing of Animal 57.

And now I'm imagining a rocket with cubical exhaust bubbles, with slightly
rounded corners. In the best Toon tradition.

Dave "and yes, they're PINK" DeLaney
--
\/David DeLaney posting from d...@vic.com "It's not the pot that grows the flower

Adam Funk

19 Feb 2008, 16:02:3319/02/2008
On 2008-02-19, David DeLaney wrote:

>>ITYM "Propellant 57", used to accelerate the processing of Animal 57.
>
> And now I'm imagining a rocket with cubical exhaust bubbles, with slightly
> rounded corners. In the best Toon tradition.
>
> Dave "and yes, they're PINK" DeLaney

Not Heinz-57-colored?

--
A: Maybe because some people are too annoyed by top-posting.
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.

Matthew L. Martin

19 Feb 2008, 19:55:2019/02/2008
Glenn Knickerbocker wrote:
> On Mon, 18 Feb 2008 21:00:04 -0800 (PST), Stacia wrote:
>> Oh, calcium chloride - that might be it.
>
> It's faster that sodium chloride because its solubility increases with
> decreasing temperature AND its dissolution is exothermic. There's a
> mythical product that's supposed to put salts to shame, ICE-9.
> I found an MSDS for it online that, amazingly, says absolutely nothing
> about its chemical composition.

IFYPFY.

Matthew

--
"All you need to start an asylum is an empty room and the right kind of
people". Alexander Bullock ("My Man Godfrey" 1936):

TeaLady (Mari C.)

20 Feb 2008, 18:44:3020/02/2008

> On 19 Feb 2008 04:31:46 GMT, TeaLady (Mari C.) wrote:
>>In order to remove the ice, the guys put up the tower and
>>hosed the roof down. In about 25degree temps.
>
> These were professionals, right? Because, from what I
> always hear, volunteer firefighters would have used
> blowtorches and flamethrowers.

Yes, fulltimers. They aren't allowed near flamethrowers or blow
torches while on the job. Might want to liven things up a
bit...

phy

22 Feb 2008, 10:11:1522/02/2008
d...@gatekeeper.vic.com (David DeLaney) wrote in

> And now I'm imagining a rocket with cubical exhaust bubbles, with
> slightly rounded corners. In the best Toon tradition.
>
> Dave "and yes, they're PINK" DeLaney

I understand that all cubicles are "PINK" by their very nature.

-phy