New guy goes down

Brad

Jul 5, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/5/00
Lets start by saying I did a dumb thing. I was so excited to get
my new bent that I took it out for its second longish ride
tonight in a light drizzle (in Vancouver BC we have countless
words for rain). I was coming up a small hill where a train
track crosses the road at a very shallow angle. I was not very
bright and did not hit the track at 90 deg. The bike went down
so fast that I did not get my feet of the pedals or hand off the
bars.

Result: Scuff my right fore arm and a reasonable case of road
rash on right hip/butt, which should turn into a good bruise.
Conclusion: Dang this hurts, tomorrow I will be stiff, good thing
I was going slow, normal spandex cycling shorts may not be a good
thing. I think that if I were wearing thicker shorts I would
have slid and the pavement would not have buffed the skin off
through the spandex.

Will this stop me? Only while the stiffness is here.

Got questions? Get answers over the phone at Keen.com.
Up to 100 minutes free!
http://www.keen.com

15hsp

Jul 5, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/5/00
Brad,
I know what you mean. When I went to pick up my Wishbone we took
a test ride. The guy ahead of me went down in some sand I
couldn't get around him on either side and went down when I
tried to brake. We were doing about 20 mph I was on ground
without any sense of falling. I don't know what hurts most the
fall or watching you brand new bike go bouncing all over.
Joe Elmira NY
Wishbone #56

David Reid

Jul 6, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/6/00
15hsp's best pigeon dodged hawks and farmer's guns to bring me the
following:

>Brad,
>I know what you mean. When I went to pick up my Wishbone we took
>a test ride. The guy ahead of me went down in some sand I
>couldn't get around him on either side and went down when I
>tried to brake. We were doing about 20 mph I was on ground
>without any sense of falling. I don't know what hurts most the
>fall or watching you brand new bike go bouncing all over.

The latter, without doubt.

--
David Reid Da...@davita.demon.co.uk http://www.davita.demon.co.uk
None of you exist, the whole Internet is just a figment of my computers

bg

Jul 6, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/6/00
Rode a supported metric last week. Coming up to rest stop, I gotta make
water real bad so I don't slow much coming off the road onto gravel lot.
I go down in a blaze of dust and gravel and slide up to the refreshment
table. Two of the volunteers sitting there quickly scribble scores on
some cardboard and hold 'em up. I got a 7 and a 10. I thought I shoulda
had two tens inasmuch as I only got a little scrape on the butt and the
bike was fine. Slid on the bottle mount I guess.
bg

Freewheeling

Jul 6, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/6/00
Brad:

Sorry to hear about your accident. I had a low velocity fall last year and
broke my tailbone. Glad that didn't happen to you. FYI there was a rather
long thread recently in the HPV listserve about the benefits of thicker
clothing re road rash. Basically, thicker clothing may not be a help unless
it's very close fitting. Motorcycle leathers are "fitted," and do tend to
reduce injury. (I'm speaking from firsthand experience here, having gone
down at 60mph on a bike while wearing leathers.) However cloth, especially
if it's loose, may still leave you with a significant road rash even when
the cloth itself isn't torn.

--
-Scott Talkington
freewh...@bigfoottail.com

"Brad" <bnmwillia...@telus.net.invalid> wrote in message

> Lets start by saying I did a dumb thing. I was so excited to get
> my new bent that I took it out for its second longish ride
> tonight in a light drizzle (in Vancouver BC we have countless
> words for rain). I was coming up a small hill where a train
> track crosses the road at a very shallow angle. I was not very
> bright and did not hit the track at 90 deg. The bike went down
> so fast that I did not get my feet of the pedals or hand off the
> bars.
>
> Result: Scuff my right fore arm and a reasonable case of road
> rash on right hip/butt, which should turn into a good bruise.
> Conclusion: Dang this hurts, tomorrow I will be stiff, good thing
> I was going slow, normal spandex cycling shorts may not be a good
> thing. I think that if I were wearing thicker shorts I would
> have slid and the pavement would not have buffed the skin off
> through the spandex.
>
> Will this stop me? Only while the stiffness is here.

Okiehound

Jul 6, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/6/00
Road rash happens.

I suspect you will find your 'bent senses to take over next time you are on
an outing.

Okiehound

in article 12f3d84e...@usw-ex0105-040.remarq.com, Brad at

bike4life

Jul 8, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/8/00
Brad:
Sorry to hear about your mishap. Glad you weren't injured too
badly.

I had a nasty one two months ago. On 5-6-00 I was riding my new
Vision R40 SWB, USS. I had only owned the bike about one week and
it is my first 'bent. I was on my way to the Fox River Trail when
I went into a curve and oversteered the bike. I lost control and
started to fall over to the right. Naturally, I put my right foot
down to stop the fall, My foot planted solid but the bike still
had forward motion (5-7 MPH). The forward motion of the bike
jerked my leg back and ruptured the quadriceps tendon in my right
knee where it attaches to the kneecap. I had surgery on 5-10-00
to re-attach the tendon. I lost 4 weeks work and wore a knee
immobilizer and walked on crutches for six weeks. I'm still using
a cane to get around. I'm in my third week of physical therapy
and making good progress. They have me using a stationary bike to
regain range of motion. So far, I can make about 1/3 of a
revolution with the pedals (just rocking forward and backward)
but it's getting better every day.

All in all it has been a very painful experience and I'm looking
at 8-12 months for full recovery. However, that is not going to
deter me from getting back on the Vision ASAP. I do plan to
convert it to OSS before riding again as I feel it will be easier
to control in this configuration. I still have hopes of riding
again before the Summer is over.

Best regards,
Rod
'99 Vision R40 USS, SWB

Jeff Cowen

Jul 8, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/8/00
Hi Rod,

This sounds truly horrific. I hope other new 'bent riders will read
your account and know to beware of putting feet down even at slower
speeds. Clipless pedals can make a big difference, prevent accidental
cases of leg suck.

I admire your determination to get back on the horse, but by all means
take whatever time you need for therapy and healing. You might want to
swap some lower gears onto the Vision and/or avoid hills for awhile.
Good luck, and please update us on your progress.

- Jeff

bike4life wrote:

--
Jeff Cowen \@ ^\
'98 Rans V-Rex \==-\-%

http://www.BlueSNAFU.com - v2.28

Harv

Jul 8, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/8/00
Jeff,
The Fox River Trail is in Illinois, about 50 miles due west of Chicago. Can
you say billiard table?

Harv who is a confirmed FRT rat.

Jeff Cowen wrote:

> Hi Rod,
>
> This sounds truly horrific. I hope other new 'bent riders will read
> your account and know to beware of putting feet down even at slower
> speeds. Clipless pedals can make a big difference, prevent accidental
> cases of leg suck.
>
> I admire your determination to get back on the horse, but by all means
> take whatever time you need for therapy and healing. You might want to
> swap some lower gears onto the Vision and/or avoid hills for awhile.
> Good luck, and please update us on your progress.
>
> - Jeff
>
> bike4life wrote:
>

> > snip--

bike4life

Jul 8, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/8/00
Jeff:
Thanks for the words of encouragement. I plan to follow all the
Doctor's orders and finish the therapy. I want everything to be
as strong as possible before I ride again.

Rod

Jeff Cowen <Blue...@mediaone.net> wrote:
>Hi Rod,
>
>This sounds truly horrific. I hope other new 'bent riders will
read
>your account and know to beware of putting feet down even at
slower
>speeds.

Best regards,

Rod
'99 Vision R40 USS, SWB

*** Please ignore the spam below, I didn't put it there. ***

15hsp

Jul 8, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/8/00
Rod,
Sorry for your accident. I switched to clipless on 99 Visions
R40 USS last Dec after a close call. I was riding in edge of
road because bike lane is so full of pot holes. I noticed a
large SUV coming up behind me with right tires on the line it
was obvious he didn't see me or didn't care so I tried to get
around pot holes. Hit a large one at about 20 mph. I hit hard
enough to roll the handle bars above seat and eject water
bottle. My feet came off pedals and it was a real effort to
control bike and get feet back up. I think if I had a Rans
flipit that I would have went off.
I switched to clipless on Wishbone after about 2 weeks, needed
to get used to bike and heal up from crash on test ride.

Joe Elmira NY
Wishbone #56

Michael Alvis

Jul 9, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/9/00
To quiet the Zzipper fairing on my RANS Stratus, I mounted a small square of
closed cell foam on the front fender just below the fairing. The foam seems
to dampen the vibrations from the fairing, giving me a quieter ride. Before
mounting the foam I often heard loud rumbles from the fairing.
--
Michael Alvis
Rogersville, TN

LeRoy

Jul 9, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/9/00
Scott,

We have two "flip-it" equipped RANS bikes in our family, and
have never had any problem with them. But we've only had them
for about six months.

Stay tuned - I'm sure others with longer experience will be
replying to your question.

LeRoy

sledyard

Jul 10, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/10/00

"15hsp" <15hspN...@my-deja.com.invalid> wrote in message
>clip
> ...My feet came off pedals and it was a real effort to control bike and

get feet back up. I think if I had a Rans
> flipit that I would have went off.
I rented and rode a Rans Rocket last week and wondered if the flipit feature
(the OSS handlebars can fold forward with minimal effort) has ever allowed
someone to go over the front. Do any Rans owners out there have any thoughts
about this?

Scott

Jeff Cowen

Jul 10, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/10/00
<sigh> I have mixed feelings about the Rans flip-it. It's nice that it allows
me to adjust the handlebars down at my chest, but I don't like the loss of
rigidity, especially in emergency maneuvers. They could fix that with some sort
of clip/spring and release mechanism. IIRC another manufacturer already has.

- Jeff

sledyard wrote:

Freewheeling

Jul 10, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/10/00
Scott:

The chances of your going over the front on a Rocket with a Flip-it are
about as close to zero as it's possible to get. If your feet came off the
pedals then you might slide forward off the seat, but be comforted by the
thought that your crotch would stop your forward travel as it hits the steer
tube. No chance of doing a "header." The weight distribution is all wrong
for it. The safety problem I have with the Flip-it is simply that in an
extreme situation where you push the bar forward the handling is
significantly altered, so that you'd have no chance of recovering balance.
In fact, it's easy to go to a situation where a rightward turn of the
handlebars actually moves the bike *to the left,* so whatever you did to
recover balance would actually cause you to lose control faster. But don't
worry, you won't go over the front unless you go off the edge of a cliff.

--

"sledyard" <sled...@cinci.rr.com> wrote in message

> "15hsp" <15hspN...@my-deja.com.invalid> wrote in message
> >clip
> > ...My feet came off pedals and it was a real effort to control bike and
> get feet back up. I think if I had a Rans
> > flipit that I would have went off.
> I rented and rode a Rans Rocket last week and wondered if the flipit
feature
> (the OSS handlebars can fold forward with minimal effort) has ever allowed
> someone to go over the front. Do any Rans owners out there have any
thoughts
> about this?
>

> Scott

Beth

Jul 10, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/10/00
OWCH, that hurts just thinking about it. Now I know why my
boytoy was always screaming at me to keep my feet up while on
the motorcycle.

Jeff Cowen

Jul 10, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/10/00
Maybe he didn't want your sneakers to catch fire. I hate when that
happens.

- Jeff

Jeff Cowen

Jul 10, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/10/00
Hi Scott,

> The chances of your going over the front on a Rocket with a Flip-it are
> about as close to zero as it's possible to get.

I dunno if that's as true as people claim. I've had the rear wheel lift off the
ground a few times when braking hard on the front. There is still significant
weight transfer.

> If your feet came off the
> pedals then you might slide forward off the seat, but be comforted by the
> thought that your crotch would stop your forward travel as it hits the steer
> tube.

We're supposed to find that comforting??? The crotch/bike connection is what
led me to 'bents in the first place, so the last thing I want is to get
vulnerable parts of me slammed against the steer tube.

> No chance of doing a "header." The weight distribution is all wrong
> for it.

As above.

> The safety problem I have with the Flip-it is simply that in an
> extreme situation where you push the bar forward the handling is
> significantly altered, so that you'd have no chance of recovering balance.

Yes, this is true. This should be addressed by Rans.

- Jeff

Harv

Jul 10, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/10/00
Boytoy? I thought that he was your goytoy. :o)

Beth wrote:

> OWCH, that hurts just thinking about it. Now I know why my
> boytoy was always screaming at me to keep my feet up while on
> the motorcycle.

Greg Dunn

Jul 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/12/00
Wow, that's a tough one, Rod. Hope you're able to find a silver lining
somewhere. Best wishes!

"bike4life" <bike4lif...@bikerider.com.invalid> wrote in message

> Best regards,
> Rod
> '99 Vision R40 USS, SWB

bike4life

Jul 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/12/00
Thanks, Greg. Therapy is progressing quite well. I may be able to
do some short rides around the neighborhood in another 4 to 6
weeks.

Rod