excursions into ambient ,etc...

Stephen Quigg

Apr 29, 1993, 12:00:52 PM4/29/93
Lazlo writes (in response to me) :
>The old KLF Pure Trance trilogy started coming out around a year before
>"Pulsating Brain" hit the shops, but The Orb was a sister band to the KLF
>at the time. (Jimmy Cauty was in both bands through the release of
>"Pulsating Brain".) It's *really* hard to take anyone seriously who claims
>one band was ripping off the other.

Read my post again .... I never said one band was ripping off the
other, in fact that was what I was arguing against. The original poster
compared Chill Out to "Adventures ..." and I said they were uncomparable.

It's *really* hard to take someone seriously who can't understand my
posts ;) Shheeesh! I thought you would all be well gen'd up on my abstarct
notations by now .)

>> Chill out was out LONG before "Huge ever growing brain".
>Chill Out was released in Feb 90, five months *after* "Pulsating Brain".

So I now realise, I just remember it being a *long* time ago ... before
'Grungeland' started worshipping it ....

>> The "Chill Out" album is a totally different AND HUGELY MORE ORIGINAL
>> concept than any Orb album,
>
>Nevertheless, Alex Paterson of the Orb was apparently in large part
>responsible for the sound of Chill Out.

This is NeWS to me, I really didn't know this ..... I got the impression
that Jim and Bill cruised about the Scottish Highlands sampling all the
USAF Jets , Birds , Waves , then put it all together when they got back ...
I didn't know 'our-All' had a hand in it ...

>Don't try to draw lines between the two bands during the early Ambient
>House era. It doesn't work.

As I said, *I* Never .... the original guy did, so I tried to castrate
him for it :-)

Stephen
sha...@gssec.bt.co.uk

Mike J. Brown

Apr 29, 1993, 6:23:32 PM4/29/93
>>Nevertheless, Alex Paterson of the Orb was apparently in large part
>>responsible for the sound of Chill Out.
> This is NeWS to me, I really didn't know this ..... I got the impression
>that Jim and Bill cruised about the Scottish Highlands sampling all the
>USAF Jets , Birds , Waves , then put it all together when they got back ...
>I didn't know 'our-All' had a hand in it ...

Hoping I understand what you mean by this post :) ... Yup, it's true.
In a couple of early articles I've seen on the Orb and the KLF, they
mentioned that Chill Out was mostly a selection of cuts edited down
from a 6 or 12 hour (or something like that) "ambiathon" at Trancentral
(Bill & Jimmy's house, right?), and Alex was involved in this event,
though to what extent we may never know. As for the samples, many of
them (jets, birds, waves) are on the BBC Sound Effects CDs, which can
be found at your local public library, even in the U.S.

Mike
--
Mike Brown