Japanese FRS?

ERLPN K4YZ

Jul 28, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/28/98
The Japanese have long had an 800 or 900 Mhz system that allowed stations of
the same group to work like a trunk system, but simplex. The cab drivers on
Okinawa had these radios, and I kick my own butt for having not got a couple
while I was there with the Marines and bringing them home. Anyone know of a
domestic source for these radios or if they still even use it in Japan? Info
appreciated.

73

Steve, K4YZ

Kyle M. Smith

Jul 28, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/28/98

I wonder if it was similar to what Nextel is trying to accomplish with
their Direct Connect service? See the following page for more info:

http://www.nextel.com/products/servicecatalog/directconnect.shtml

Kyle M. Smith

Jul 28, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/28/98

I believe Nextel is using Motorola's iDEN technology, so maybe that's what you
saw in Japan?

Jack Anderson

Jul 28, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/28/98
Direct Connect calls are routed through the Nextel Network.

Calvin Starr

Jul 28, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/28/98
ERLPN K4YZ wrote:

> Thanks for the replies, everyone.
>
> Basically, it was like CB, except you could enter a sequence of numbers
> (ie:13579) into the radio just like a keypad on Ham phonepatch. Then anyone
> else that dialed in your number could reach you, but if not, you'd never hear a
> thing. Also, you could not pick a channel. Just like trunking, when you keyed
> up, everyone else in your group with the same code would lock onto the same
> frequency. After you unkeyed, it would "hang" for a few seconds for quick
> replies, but go back to sweeping the "bank" of frequencies" until your code
> came up again.
>
> I don't think these radios were more than a few watts. I'll PO a bunch of
> my ham buddies here, but I think it would be a great way to make 2 or 3 MHz of
> the 902-928MHz band very active! Think of it....no skip, almost ultimate
> privacy and you'd have to be VERY determined with a scanner to hear the same
> conversations. No license or at least a "sign the bottom line" type of thing.
> Despite the fight a few would put up, the 902Mhz ham band is getting squat use
> except for a VERY few private repeaters and ATV modes.
>
> 73
>
> Steve, K4YZ
> Chattanooga, TN

No Steve, i don't think it would PO anyone as long as the user had a ham license. What you are describing does
sound like a type of trunking. It is only a matter of time before the hams give trunking a try and this would
be a good band to experiment with. With Nextel closing the analog 800 and 900 mHz systems in many metroplitian
areas there is a large amount of surplus equipment sitting somewhere if we could just get our hands on it. If
anyone has any connections at Nextel you could check this out. As to the no skip on 902 Steve, there are about
5 weak signal 902 stations in the Houston area and most of us have worked several states and out to 1000 miles.

I dont mean to take up the FRS news groups time with ham radio but some of you have a real interest in radio
and are trying to push the distance limits of 1/2 watt. It would only take a couple of weeks studying to pass
the Technician test and you would have access to all frequencies from 50 mHz up. Once you got started you
might find a whole new world out there. I am sure any of the hams on this newsgroup would be happy to quide
you in the right direction if you are interested. Now back to FRS.

Calvin W5AAW

ERLPN K4YZ

Jul 29, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/29/98

ERLPN K4YZ

Jul 29, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/29/98
Hi Calvin,

Thanks for the info. I have been licensed since 1972, and extra since
1979 and am presently K4YZ.

Thanks!

Steve