HD Radio - Trend to watch: Team-branded HD2s !!

TelaturdWatch

Oct 5, 2009, 1:41:14 PM10/5/09

http://www.insideradio.com/Article.asp?id=1523462&spid=32060

Trend to watch: Team-branded HD2s.

Sports rights holders are keen on expanding their footprint with their own
dedicated media platform, an issue that's becoming more prevalent when
negotiating a new deal with broadcast partners. For the Dallas Cowboys and
the Pittsburgh Penguins, that has lead to their own branded 24/7 HD
channels.

KRLD-HD3 bowed in April, drawing from the Cowboys' massive programming vault
of coaches' interviews, pre-and post-game shows and classic games. After a
soft launch September 13, last year's Stanley Cup champions drop the puck on
Pittsburgh Penguins Radio Thursday at 105.9 HD2, side channel to Clear
Channel alternative WXDX. "The programming will be anything but
traditional," Penguins media director Mark Turley says. A six-hour block
of programming will air daily from 9 a.m.-3 p.m, consisting of "Daily
Players' Playlist," a "Penguins Live" talk show, Sirius XM's "NHL Live" and
an hour of Penguins and NHL content. The block will be repeated throughout
the day.

Turley says the Penguins hope to distribute local shows to their roughly
three-dozen affiliate stations and become a syndicator themselves. According
to the Sports Business Journal, the Penguins have signed a half-dozen
advertisers to the channel, including Geico and Qdoba.

HD Radio Farce

Oct 5, 2009, 7:29:40 PM10/5/09

Waht a fucking joke - folks will jsut listen online.

Watchin & Waitin'

Oct 6, 2009, 1:04:48 AM10/6/09

"HD Radio Farce" <hdradi...@gmail.com> wrote in message

On Oct 5, 1:41?pm, "TelaturdWatch" <T...@Turd.net> wrote:
> http://www.insideradio.com/Article.asp?id=1523462&spid=32060
>
> Trend to watch: Team-branded HD2s.
>
> Sports rights holders are keen on expanding their footprint with their own
> dedicated media platform, an issue that's becoming more prevalent when
> negotiating a new deal with broadcast partners. ?For the Dallas Cowboys
> and
> the Pittsburgh Penguins, that has lead to their own branded 24/7 HD
> channels.
>
> KRLD-HD3 bowed in April, drawing from the Cowboys' massive programming
> vault
> of coaches' interviews, pre-and post-game shows and classic games. ?After
> soft launch September 13, last year's Stanley Cup champions drop the puck
> on
> Pittsburgh Penguins Radio Thursday at 105.9 HD2, side channel to Clear
> Channel alternative WXDX. "The programming will be anything but
> ?traditional," Penguins media director Mark Turley says. ?A six-hour block

> of programming will air daily from 9 a.m.-3 p.m, consisting of "Daily
> Players' Playlist," a "Penguins Live" talk show, Sirius XM's "NHL Live"
> and
> an hour of Penguins and NHL content. ?The block will be repeated
> throughout
> the day.
>
> Turley says the Penguins hope to distribute local shows to their roughly
> three-dozen affiliate stations and become a syndicator themselves.
> According
> to the Sports Business Journal, the Penguins have signed a half-dozen
> advertisers to the channel, including Geico and Qdoba.

>Waht a fucking joke - folks will jsut listen online.

Will they listen online when they are in the care? Or while they're joggin?

John Higdon

Oct 6, 2009, 1:45:33 AM10/6/09
In article <haej75$36t$1...@news.eternal-september.org>,

"Watchin & Waitin'" <Wat...@Waitin.com> wrote:

> Will they listen online when they are in the care? Or while they're joggin?

3G works for both.

--
John Higdon
+1 408 ANdrews 6-4400

Jo Jo Gunn

Oct 6, 2009, 1:51:45 AM10/6/09

"John Higdon" <hi...@kome.com> wrote in message

> In article <haej75$36t$1...@news.eternal-september.org>,
> "Watchin & Waitin'" <Wat...@Waitin.com> wrote:
>
>> Will they listen online when they are in the care? Or while they're
>> joggin?
>
> 3G works for both.

If everyone has 3G...

dave

Oct 6, 2009, 8:23:22 AM10/6/09
John Higdon wrote:
> In article <haej75$36t$1...@news.eternal-september.org>,
> "Watchin & Waitin'" <Wat...@Waitin.com> wrote:
>
>> Will they listen online when they are in the care? Or while they're joggin?
>
> 3G works for both.

3G costs $2 a day.

Jo Jo Gunn

Oct 6, 2009, 12:49:21 PM10/6/09

"dave" <da...@dave.dave> wrote in message

$60 a month! $730 a year!

John Higdon

Oct 6, 2009, 1:34:47 PM10/6/09
In article <4acb36a3$0$20209$bd46...@news.dslextreme.com>,
dave <da...@dave.dave> wrote:

> 3G costs $2 a day.

You need to shop. My plan is much cheaper than that.

dave

Oct 6, 2009, 2:30:17 PM10/6/09
John Higdon wrote:
> In article <4acb36a3$0$20209$bd46...@news.dslextreme.com>,
> dave <da...@dave.dave> wrote:
>
>> 3G costs $2 a day.
>
> You need to shop. My plan is much cheaper than that.

I have "unlimited" (which is really 5 GB/month.)

John Higdon

Oct 6, 2009, 2:36:32 PM10/6/09
In article <4acb8c8b$0$16487$bd46...@news.dslextreme.com>,
dave <da...@dave.dave> wrote:

So do I. I don't pay $60/month for it. I don't pay much more than that
for the entire phone bill, including taxes, fees, surcharges, etc., etc.

Did you know that carriers will bargain?

HD Radio Farce

Oct 6, 2009, 6:30:31 PM10/6/09
On Oct 6, 12:49�pm, "Jo Jo Gunn" <vhr74a...@sneakemail.com> wrote:
> "dave" <d...@dave.dave> wrote in message

> > John Higdon wrote:

> >> 3G works for both.
>
> > 3G costs $2 a day.
>
> $60 a month! �$730 a year!

Nope - $20/month for Internet access

dave

Oct 6, 2009, 8:03:49 PM10/6/09

Wireless?

Brenda Ann

Oct 7, 2009, 1:08:29 AM10/7/09

> HD Radio Farce wrote:

>> On Oct 6, 12:49?pm, "Jo Jo Gunn" <vhr74a...@sneakemail.com> wrote:
>>> "dave" <d...@dave.dave> wrote in message

>>> $60 a month! ?$730 a year!

>> Nope - $20/month for Internet access
>
> Wireless?

Mine's $34 a month for 2 GB of bandwidth, and as yet I've not used even 25%
of that, even with streaming audio. Since it's cell based, it works
anywhere in the country with very few drops, and those only when we're in a
moving vehicle at 130 KpH. It's a lot more reliable than our hardwire
internet connections..

Jo Jo Gunn

Oct 7, 2009, 1:52:39 AM10/7/09

On Oct 6, 12:49?pm, "Jo Jo Gunn" <vhr74a...@sneakemail.com> wrote:
> "dave" <d...@dave.dave> wrote in message

> > John Higdon wrote:

> >> 3G works for both.
>
> > 3G costs $2 a day.
>
> $60 a month! ?$730 a year!

> Nope - $20/month for Internet access

So, you're gonna listen to your cell phone in the car?

What about when you go thru areas with no cell-phone reception?

~ RHF

Oct 7, 2009, 10:03:12 PM10/7/09

Free Over-the-Air Radio is 24/7 be it Analog
or [HD] Digital and NFL Team Branded HD-2
Radio broadcasts sell, Sell. SELL ! the the
NFL Team Fans {Fanatics} - go radio ~ RHF
.
NFL Team Branded HD-2 is a 24/7 InfoMercial
for every NFL Team in it's 'Local' Market Media
Area - b r i l l i a n t ! ~ RHF

All {Your Team's Name Here} Football All the Time
* That's 24/7 Go {Team Name} Yeah !
.
Can the NHL and MLB be far behind . . . with
their own Team Branded HD-2 Radio Stations ?
.
As i have said before FM HD-2 Radio Broadcasts
are the only clear business reason for HD Radio
because it takes the same local FM Radio
'Franchise' {Radio License} and creates a
Second Income Stream from it at a low cost
multiple. ¢ ¢ ¢ > > > $ $ $ ~ RHF
.

~ RHF

Oct 7, 2009, 10:06:40 PM10/7/09
On Oct 6, 9:49 am, "Jo Jo Gunn" <vhr74a...@sneakemail.com> wrote:
> "dave" <d...@dave.dave> wrote in message

> > John Higdon wrote:

- - -3G works for both.

- - 3G costs $2 a day.

- $60 a month!  $730 a year!

while . . . Free Over-the-Air Radio is FREE 24/7
and available just about anywhere be it Analog
or [HD] Digital - go free over-the-air radio ~ RHF
.

John Higdon

Oct 8, 2009, 12:44:07 AM10/8/09
In article
<2fc9f63a-c8ed-4cf4...@b3g2000pre.googlegroups.com>,
"~ RHF" <rhf-new...@pacbell.net> wrote:

> - $60 a month! �$730 a year!
>
> while . . . Free Over-the-Air Radio is FREE 24/7
> and available just about anywhere be it Analog
> or [HD] Digital - go free over-the-air radio ~ RHF
> .

I pay one third of that. In any event, I have it for other reasons.
Streaming audio is just a side benefit, so for me (and many others) it
is effectively free. It sounds better. There is a vastly better
selection of programming. Why would I care about HD?

John Higdon

Oct 8, 2009, 12:45:58 AM10/8/09
In article
<311cb34e-bd63-4bd4...@p10g2000prm.googlegroups.com>,
"~ RHF" <rhf-new...@pacbell.net> wrote:

> As i have said before FM HD-2 Radio Broadcasts
> are the only clear business reason for HD Radio
> because it takes the same local FM Radio
> 'Franchise' {Radio License} and creates a
> Second Income Stream from it at a low cost
> multiple. � � � > > > $ $ $ ~ RHF
> .

Where is the "income" if there are no spots? What advertiser would waste
a dime on the pathetically low penetration of all HD-2 combined?

~ RHF

Oct 8, 2009, 12:59:41 AM10/8/09
On Oct 7, 9:45 pm, John Higdon <hi...@kome.com> wrote:
> In article
> <311cb34e-bd63-4bd4-8789-5d6fef1df...@p10g2000prm.googlegroups.com>,

>  "~ RHF" <rhf-newsgro...@pacbell.net> wrote:
>
> > As i have said before FM HD-2 Radio Broadcasts
> > are the only clear business reason for HD Radio
> > because it takes the same local FM Radio
> > 'Franchise' {Radio License} and creates a
> > Second Income Stream from it at a low cost
> > multiple. ¢ ¢ ¢ > > > $ $ $ ~ RHF
> >  .

- Where is the "income" if there are no spots? What advertiser would
waste
- a dime on the pathetically low penetration of all HD-2 combined?
-
- --
- John Higdon
- +1 408 ANdrews 6-4400
- AT&T-Free At Last

NFL Team Branded HD-2 is a 24/7 InfoMercial
for every NFL Team in it's 'Local' Market Media
Area - b r i l l i a n t ! ~ RHF

.

~ RHF

Oct 8, 2009, 1:02:22 AM10/8/09

24/7 InfoMercial = 24/7 Promo-Spot
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infomercial
.

John Higdon

Oct 8, 2009, 1:23:33 AM10/8/09
In article
<a0ea9b9f-ac32-4af8...@u36g2000prn.googlegroups.com>,
"~ RHF" <rhf-new...@pacbell.net> wrote:

> NFL Team Branded HD-2 is a 24/7 InfoMercial
> for every NFL Team in it's 'Local' Market Media
> Area - b r i l l i a n t ! ~ RHF

Yawn.

Jo Jo Gunn

Oct 8, 2009, 2:34:28 AM10/8/09

"John Higdon" <hi...@kome.com> wrote in message

Did you read the original article?

~ RHF

Oct 8, 2009, 6:36:34 AM10/8/09
On Oct 7, 10:23 pm, John Higdon <hi...@kome.com> wrote:
> In article
> <a0ea9b9f-ac32-4af8-93b7-eb6debbeb...@u36g2000prn.googlegroups.com>,

>  "~ RHF" <rhf-newsgro...@pacbell.net> wrote:
>
> > NFL Team Branded HD-2 is a 24/7 InfoMercial
> > for every NFL Team in it's 'Local' Market Media
> > Area - b r i l l i a n t ! ~ RHF

- Yawn.

-
- --
- John Higdon
- +1 408 ANdrews 6-4400
- AT&T-Free At Last

D'Oh a Rabid NFL Fan {Fanatic} would say HOORAY !
while listening to the 24/7 "Team Spirit" HD-2 Radio
Station.
.

dave

Oct 8, 2009, 8:40:25 AM10/8/09

Have you ever tried to listen to HD-2 in a moving car?

Watchin & Waitin'

Oct 8, 2009, 2:36:48 AM10/8/09

>> - $60 a month! $730 a year!
>>
>> while . . . Free Over-the-Air Radio is FREE 24/7
>> and available just about anywhere be it Analog
>> or [HD] Digital - go free over-the-air radio ~ RHF
>> .
>
> I pay one third of that. In any event, I have it for other reasons.
> Streaming audio is just a side benefit, so for me (and many others) it
> is effectively free. It sounds better. There is a vastly better
> selection of programming. Why would I care about HD?

Convenience.

HD is just another option/choice.

Choices are a good thing.

John Higdon

Oct 8, 2009, 1:33:32 PM10/8/09
In article <hal7lj$stf$1...@news.eternal-september.org>,

"Watchin & Waitin'" <Wat...@Waitin.com> wrote:

> HD is just another option/choice.
>
> Choices are a good thing.

Not when they cause interference on the band and harm reception on other
stations.

I suggest you get up to speed on some of the tests that have been done
and are currently in progress.

Jo Jo Gunn

Oct 8, 2009, 1:38:41 PM10/8/09

> In article <hal7lj$stf$1...@news.eternal-september.org>,
> "Watchin & Waitin'" <Wat...@Waitin.com> wrote:
>
>> HD is just another option/choice.
>>
>> Choices are a good thing.
>
> Not when they cause interference on the band and harm reception on other
> stations.
>
> I suggest you get up to speed on some of the tests that have been done
> and are currently in progress.

I am more up-to date than you could imagine.

There has been no widespread interference complaints from the public...and
virtually all stations are protected within their contours.

Reminds me of the engineers who didn't want to turn on the stereo
pilot...because they were afraid to give up any coverage area.

Jo Jo Gunn

Oct 8, 2009, 1:39:48 PM10/8/09

"dave" <da...@dave.dave> wrote in message

Yes, every day. I enjoy it!

~ RHF

Oct 8, 2009, 7:23:37 PM10/8/09
On Oct 8, 10:33 am, John Higdon <hi...@kome.com> wrote:
> In article <hal7lj$st...@news.eternal-september.org>,

>  "Watchin & Waitin'" <Watc...@Waitin.com> wrote:
>
> > HD is just another option/choice.
>
> > Choices are a good thing.
>
> Not when they cause interference on the band and harm reception on other
> stations.
>
> I suggest you get up to speed on some of the tests that have been done
> and are currently in progress.
>
> --
> John Higdon
> +1 408 ANdrews 6-4400
> AT&T-Free At Last

FM HD-Radio and the HD-2 Channels are
about Expanding the FM Radio Business
and the minor technical issues are simply
the cost of doing more business. ~ RHF
.

John Higdon

Oct 8, 2009, 8:15:24 PM10/8/09
In article
<ae71a47e-848c-4788...@v37g2000prg.googlegroups.com>,
"~ RHF" <rhf-new...@pacbell.net> wrote:

> FM HD-Radio and the HD-2 Channels are
> about Expanding the FM Radio Business
> and the minor technical issues are simply
> the cost of doing more business.

The broadcasters being interfered with don't consider such interference
a "minor technical issue". Most broadcasters have nothing to do with "HD
Radio", and they're not just about to pay someone else's "cost of doing
business".

Jo Jo Gunn

Oct 9, 2009, 1:41:23 AM10/9/09

> In article
> <ae71a47e-848c-4788...@v37g2000prg.googlegroups.com>,
> "~ RHF" <rhf-new...@pacbell.net> wrote:
>
>> FM HD-Radio and the HD-2 Channels are
>> about Expanding the FM Radio Business
>> and the minor technical issues are simply
>> the cost of doing more business.
>
> The broadcasters being interfered with don't consider such interference
> a "minor technical issue".

Can you state a broadcaster that is being interfered with in their protected
contours?

Again, if this is so prevailent, why isn't there a pile of listeners
complaints at the FCC?

dave

Oct 9, 2009, 8:53:29 AM10/9/09
Stereo destroys FM coverage. Those engineers were right.

People don't complain as much as they just find other things to listen
to. Digital sidebands increase analog channel noise. That is a fact.
Now if they were to quit trying to do stereo in the analog channel, that
might work.

dave

Oct 9, 2009, 8:53:58 AM10/9/09
Jo Jo Gunn wrote:

>>> Station.
>>> .
>> Have you ever tried to listen to HD-2 in a moving car?
>
> Yes, every day. I enjoy it!

You must enjoy silence.

dave

Oct 9, 2009, 8:55:53 AM10/9/09
~ RHF wrote:

> FM HD-Radio and the HD-2 Channels are
> about Expanding the FM Radio Business
> and the minor technical issues are simply
> the cost of doing more business. ~ RHF
> .

Fuck the Radio Business. Bring back radio service.

Unlike you, Roy, we're not all a bunch of whores.

dave

Oct 9, 2009, 9:04:32 AM10/9/09
Jo Jo Gunn wrote:

> Can you state a broadcaster that is being interfered with in their protected
> contours?
>
> Again, if this is so prevailent, why isn't there a pile of listeners
> complaints at the FCC?

Protected Contours need to be rethought. Lots of people live in
suburbs, out of any protected contours. Are you saying they have no
right to listen to NPR, which they help finance?

Brenda Ann

Oct 9, 2009, 9:15:28 AM10/9/09

> Jo Jo Gunn wrote:
>> "John Higdon" <hi...@kome.com> wrote in message

>>> Not when they cause interference on the band and harm reception on other
>>> stations.
>>>
>>> I suggest you get up to speed on some of the tests that have been done
>>> and are currently in progress.
>>
>> I am more up-to date than you could imagine.
>>
>> There has been no widespread interference complaints from the
>> public...and virtually all stations are protected within their contours.
>>
>> Reminds me of the engineers who didn't want to turn on the stereo
>> pilot...because they were afraid to give up any coverage area.
>>

> Stereo destroys FM coverage. Those engineers were right.

Stereo multiplexing in and of itself does no damage to the coverage area.
Listening on a monaural receiver or in mono mode with a stereo receiver
gives the same coverage as a monaural transmitter would.

Jo Jo Gunn

Oct 9, 2009, 1:23:57 PM10/9/09

"dave" <da...@dave.dave> wrote in message
> Jo Jo Gunn wrote:
>> "John Higdon" <hi...@kome.com> wrote in message

>>> Not when they cause interference on the band and harm reception on other
>>> stations.
>>>
>>> I suggest you get up to speed on some of the tests that have been done
>>> and are currently in progress.
>>
>> I am more up-to date than you could imagine.
>>
>> There has been no widespread interference complaints from the
>> public...and virtually all stations are protected within their contours.
>>
>> Reminds me of the engineers who didn't want to turn on the stereo
>> pilot...because they were afraid to give up any coverage area.
>>

> Stereo destroys FM coverage. Those engineers were right.

And those that were purists and held to that belief....are all out of
business.

John Higdon

Oct 9, 2009, 3:41:27 PM10/9/09
In article <4acf34c5$0$16522$bd46...@news.dslextreme.com>,
dave <da...@dave.dave> wrote:

> Protected Contours need to be rethought. Lots of people live in
> suburbs, out of any protected contours. Are you saying they have no
> right to listen to NPR, which they help finance?

Completely phony argument and not worth my time.

Contours? Oh, you mean the small, community stations that are being
plastered in their communities of license by large metro stations from
way out of the area have no right to expect protection?

It's a flawed system that causes harm and provides no benefit. Not worth
any more discussion.

John Higdon

Oct 9, 2009, 3:44:15 PM10/9/09
In article <4acf322e$0$16524$bd46...@news.dslextreme.com>,
dave <da...@dave.dave> wrote:

> Stereo destroys FM coverage. Those engineers were right.

IBOC destroys coverage (of other stations) even more.

> People don't complain as much as they just find other things to listen
> to. Digital sidebands increase analog channel noise. That is a fact.
> Now if they were to quit trying to do stereo in the analog channel, that
> might work.

Analog is still the bread and butter of all stations. Crippling it for
the sake of promoting iBiquity's financial health is done at every
station's peril.

~ RHF

Oct 9, 2009, 3:48:39 PM10/9/09
On Oct 9, 5:53 am, dave <d...@dave.dave> wrote:
> Jo Jo Gunn wrote:
> > "John Higdon" <hi...@kome.com> wrote in message

> >> Not when they cause interference on the band and harm reception on other
> >> stations.
>
> >> I suggest you get up to speed on some of the tests that have been done
> >> and are currently in progress.
>
> > I am more up-to date than you could imagine.
>
> > There has been no widespread interference complaints from the public...and
> > virtually all stations are protected within their contours.
>
> > Reminds me of the engineers who didn't want to turn on the stereo
> > pilot...because they were afraid to give up any coverage area.

- Stereo destroys FM coverage.  Those engineers were right.

? So 'coverage' is more important then the Content
and the Quality Features of the Sound coming
out of the Radio ?

~ RHF

Oct 9, 2009, 3:55:35 PM10/9/09
On Oct 9, 12:44 pm, John Higdon <hi...@kome.com> wrote:
> In article <4acf322e$0$16524$bd467...@news.dslextreme.com>,

>  dave <d...@dave.dave> wrote:
> > Stereo destroys FM coverage.  Those engineers were right.
>
> IBOC destroys coverage (of other stations) even more.
>
> > People don't complain as much as they just find other things to listen
> > to.  Digital sidebands increase analog channel noise.  That is a fact.
> > Now if they were to quit trying to do stereo in the analog channel, that
> > might work.

- Analog is still the bread and butter of all stations. Crippling it
for
- the sake of promoting iBiquity's financial health is done at every
- station's peril.

NOT FM !

FM Radio Music "Content" and the Quality Features
{Stereo} of the Sound coming out of the FM Radio ?

That is the 'what' that sets FM Radio apart
and above AM {Mono} Radio.

HD-2 Second Channel {Content} via FM HD-Radio
has the 'potential' to Double the Number of FM
Radio Channels {Content} for most local Radio
Listeners.

~ RHF

Oct 9, 2009, 4:24:50 PM10/9/09
On Oct 7, 9:59 pm, "~ RHF" <rhf-newsgro...@pacbell.net> wrote:
> On Oct 7, 9:45 pm, John Higdon <hi...@kome.com> wrote:> In article
> > <311cb34e-bd63-4bd4-8789-5d6fef1df...@p10g2000prm.googlegroups.com>,
> >  "~ RHF" <rhf-newsgro...@pacbell.net> wrote:
>
> > > As i have said before FM HD-2 Radio Broadcasts
> > > are the only clear business reason for HD Radio
> > > because it takes the same local FM Radio
> > > 'Franchise' {Radio License} and creates a
> > > Second Income Stream from it at a low cost
> > > multiple. ¢ ¢ ¢ > > > $ $ $ ~ RHF
> > >  .
>
> - Where is the "income" if there are no spots? What advertiser would
> waste
> - a dime on the pathetically low penetration of all HD-2 combined?
> -
> - --
> - John Higdon
> - +1 408 ANdrews 6-4400
> - AT&T-Free At Last

- NFL Team Branded HD-2 is a 24/7 InfoMercial
- for every NFL Team in it's 'Local' Market Media
- Area - b r i l l i a n t ! ~ RHF
-  .

Local Advertisers who wish to be 'identified'
with the Team and reach the Team's Fans
will be lining-up to support the Team Channel.
more money + More Money + MORE MONEY !
.

Jo Jo Gunn

Oct 9, 2009, 4:24:22 PM10/9/09

"John Higdon" <hi...@kome.com> wrote in message

Higdon, this isn't 1970 at KOME.

Radio has progressed.

Jo Jo Gunn

Oct 9, 2009, 4:28:59 PM10/9/09

"~ RHF" <rhf-new...@pacbell.net> wrote in message

There are people like Higdon that live in the past and can't see the new
models of making money and reaching the target.

.

dave

Oct 9, 2009, 5:38:34 PM10/9/09

That doesn't change the physics.

dave

Oct 9, 2009, 5:45:29 PM10/9/09
~ RHF wrote:
> On Oct 9, 5:53 am, dave <d...@dave.dave> wrote:
>> Jo Jo Gunn wrote:
>>> "John Higdon" <hi...@kome.com> wrote in message
>>> I am more up-to date than you could imagine.
>>> There has been no widespread interference complaints from the public...and
>>> virtually all stations are protected within their contours.
>>> Reminds me of the engineers who didn't want to turn on the stereo
>>> pilot...because they were afraid to give up any coverage area.
>
> - Stereo destroys FM coverage. Those engineers were right.
>
> ? So 'coverage' is more important then the Content
> and the Quality Features of the Sound coming
> out of the Radio ?

It is out west where there are mountains etc.

Jo Jo Gunn

Oct 10, 2009, 1:05:55 AM10/10/09

"dave" <da...@dave.dave> wrote in message

Are we studying physics...or how to have a healthy prosperous industry.

I would dare to say, that those that held onto mono broadcasting on FM...are
not running prosperous stations now.

~ RHF

Oct 10, 2009, 5:14:32 AM10/10/09
On Oct 9, 2:38 pm, dave <d...@dave.dave> wrote:
> Jo Jo Gunn wrote:
> > "dave" <d...@dave.dave> wrote in message

Dang Dave you are right : Physics is Physics :
People have Two Ears and generally prefer FM
"Stereo" Radio cause it sounds B E T T E R .

FM Stereo Radio
FM Stereo Headphone Radio {Walkman}
Stereo Cassette Player
Stereo CD Player
Stereo iPod Player
Yeah 'Stereo' Matches Up with Human Physics.
.

Watchin & Waitin'

Oct 10, 2009, 1:17:45 AM10/10/09

"dave" <da...@dave.dave> wrote in message

i dont know about you...but i don't get silence on my hd car radio. sounds
great!

D. Peter Maus

Oct 10, 2009, 10:42:58 AM10/10/09

> Stereo multiplexing in and of itself does no damage to the coverage area.
> Listening on a monaural receiver or in mono mode with a stereo receiver
> gives the same coverage as a monaural transmitter would.

When I was working in East Weasel Penis, Iowa, and a storm
warning would post, we were instructed to kill the FM stereo pilot
specifically to improve fringe listening, which depended on our FM.

What the GM didn't figure on was 1) that most fringe listening
was largely mono, anyway, due to the function of the automatic blend
circuit in most receivers in the field, and 2) the automatic mute
function built into many receivers which would kick in in the
absence of the stereo pilot.

When he had installed his brand new Radio Shack receiver, and it
had gone dead silent during the first storm warning, he about broke
records for blood pressure.

He went so far as to produce an on-air editorial suggesting
listeners sue their receiver manufacturers for producing receivers
that were 'wired wrong.'

The immediate workaround was to leave the stereo pilot on during
storm warnings.

D. Peter Maus

Oct 10, 2009, 10:44:03 AM10/10/09

>> Stereo destroys FM coverage. Those engineers were right.
>
> And those that were purists and held to that belief....are all out of
> business.

Not so much. I encounter one or two non-stereo stations every
week when I'm on the road.

dave

Oct 10, 2009, 7:10:06 PM10/10/09
Jo Jo Gunn wrote:
> "dave" <da...@dave.dave> wrote in message
>> Jo Jo Gunn wrote:
>>> "dave" <da...@dave.dave> wrote in message

>>> And those that were purists and held to that belief....are all out of
>>> business.
>>>
>> That doesn't change the physics.
>
> Are we studying physics...or how to have a healthy prosperous industry.
>
> I would dare to say, that those that held onto mono broadcasting on FM...are
> not running prosperous stations now.

I preferred radio when it was run by eccentric individuals. Stations
made enough money to pay the bills, and did much better radio. The
6/6/6 rule worked real well.

dave

Oct 10, 2009, 7:14:21 PM10/10/09

It sounds better on headphones if you are within 30 miles of the
transmitter maybe. Stereo reduces the S to N by 23 dB.

Jo Jo Gunn

Oct 12, 2009, 3:59:16 PM10/12/09

"D. Peter Maus" <DPete...@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message

Please name them and their location.

Dave Barnett

Oct 13, 2009, 12:35:55 AM10/13/09
to Jo Jo Gunn
Jo Jo Gunn wrote:

> There has been no widespread interference complaints from the public...and
> virtually all stations are protected within their contours.

That doesn't mean there's no interference. It's amazing how the
proponents of HD Radio assume that receivers magically quit receiving a
signal once they leave a station's protected contour. Plus, to the
average listener an HD carrier sounds like white noise & they think it's
weak signal. Nobody thinks to complain about interference. They just
move on to something else.

I've heard on and on about how great the HD-2 formats are going to be,
but all I've observed is more lame cookie-cutter radio taking away the
reception that I once enjoyed. The audio quality is nothing to write
home about either. But HD radio has caused us to adapt. My wife & I
listen to web radio more than terrestrial radio now, since there are
fewer choices on the dial.

Dave B.

Jo Jo Gunn

Oct 13, 2009, 1:35:03 AM10/13/09

> Jo Jo Gunn wrote:
>
>> There has been no widespread interference complaints from the
>> public...and virtually all stations are protected within their contours.
>>
> That doesn't mean there's no interference. It's amazing how the
> proponents of HD Radio assume that receivers magically quit receiving a
> signal once they leave a station's protected contour.

No, the FCC has made a judgement on how far and how long a stations signal
would be protected.

That's the established standard. The days of clear-channels being protected
nationwide are over.

> Plus, to the average listener an HD carrier sounds like white noise & they
> think it's weak signal. Nobody thinks to complain about interference.
> They just move on to something else.

The large broadcast companies do engineering research and audience research.
There has been no widespread complaints (if any at all), and there is no
indication that people "move onto something else".

> I've heard on and on about how great the HD-2 formats are going to be, but
> all I've observed is more lame cookie-cutter radio taking away the
> reception that I once enjoyed.

THe formats on HD are quiite similar to what was on FM in the early to mid
60's. Music intensive, non-commercial, some simulcasting to improve
coverage, and mostly automated.

> The audio quality is nothing to write home about either.

The public has had no complaints about HD audio quality. And like the
qualities of MP3's, which is "nothing to write home about" either, it's
"good enough" and the public isn't complaining.

> But HD radio has caused us to adapt. My wife & I listen to web radio more
> than terrestrial radio now, since there are fewer choices on the dial.

I'd be interested in knowing where you are, and what station(s) you can no
longer listen too due to HD radio.

"Dave Barnett" <dave.db...@SPAMgmail.com> wrote in message

D. Peter Maus

Oct 13, 2009, 6:01:47 AM10/13/09

I hear them when I'm on the road. I don't have time to catalog them.

The last two I heard this past week were in southeastern Missouri
and southern Illinois.

Dave Barnett

Oct 13, 2009, 10:17:53 AM10/13/09
to Jo Jo Gunn
Jo Jo Gunn wrote:

> No, the FCC has made a judgement on how far and how long a stations signal
> would be protected.
>
> That's the established standard. The days of clear-channels being protected
> nationwide are over.

No argument there. I'm just saying that stations have listeners outside
their protected contours. I volunteer at a local non-comm and we have
many subscribers who listen well outside our protected contour. Not
only do they listen, but they donate money. That surely says something.

> I'd be interested in knowing where you are, and what station(s) you can no
> longer listen too due to HD radio.

I live sometimes in the San Francisco Bay Area and sometimes in Pioneer,
CA (in the Sierras) In my case the interference happened on these
frequencies:

107.5 KPIG - used to be receivable throughout the South Bay until 107.7
in San Francisco turned on HD
95.9 KRSH - we used to listen to them at home before 95.7 turned on HD,
generally too weak to hear in a car.
91.5 KKUP - used to be receivable way up the peninsula and into Oakland
before 91.7 turned on HD
89.5 KVMR - used to be receivable throughout Sacramento until 89.3
turned on HD

KKUP and KVMR actually receive interference inside their protected
contours, and inside their city of license, due to terrain shielding and
power/HAAT discrepancy issues. Another instance where the FCC is
completely blind to the real world.

Interestingly enough, a few years ago I had a fence built and some
extensive landscaping done. The guys doing the work were complaining
that they couldn't get KPIG anymore no matter where they were on a job.
They were using a better-than-average boom box, but nothing special.
One of them was fiddling with the antenna and got a hint of the
station's audio, buried in digital carriers. He said - "nope, it
doesn't work here either" and they switched to the local classic rock
station. I knew why, but of course they had no idea. That's only an
example of one. Maybe the only one. But I find it interesting.

I firmly believe that this will shake out one way or the other. Either
with an expanded radio band, better digital accesss, ipv6 multicast, UDP
with forward error correction, etc. There are a lot of ways looming on
the horizon for creative people to be heard. Meanwhile, we do what we can.

Dave B.

Jo Jo Gunn

Oct 13, 2009, 1:47:40 PM10/13/09

"D. Peter Maus" <DPete...@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message

I don't know Peter...it sounds more anecdotal than anything....

Jo Jo Gunn

Oct 13, 2009, 1:52:34 PM10/13/09

http://radio-locator.com/cgi-bin/pat?call=KPIG&service=FM&status=L&hours=U

http://radio-locator.com/cgi-bin/pat?call=KRSH&service=FM&status=L&hours=U

http://radio-locator.com/cgi-bin/pat?call=KKUP&service=FM&status=L&hours=U

> 89.5 KVMR - used to be receivable throughout Sacramento until 89.3 turned
> on HD

http://radio-locator.com/cgi-bin/pat?call=KVMR&service=FM&status=L&hours=U

Most radio stations do not make any money from DX listeners. Stations are
not interested in servicing areas outside of their assigned license.

People listening in the metro area of a signals are going to be deprived so
a few people on the outskirts are able to pick up an out of town signal?

D. Peter Maus

Oct 13, 2009, 2:30:30 PM10/13/09
On 10/13/09 12:47 , Jo Jo Gunn wrote:
> "D. Peter Maus"<DPete...@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
>> On 10/12/09 14:59 , Jo Jo Gunn wrote:
>>> "D. Peter Maus"<DPete...@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message

>>> Please name them and their location.
>>>

>> I hear them when I'm on the road. I don't have time to catalog them.
>>
>> The last two I heard this past week were in southeastern Missouri and
>> southern Illinois.
>
> I don't know Peter...it sounds more anecdotal than anything....

No different than your assertion, my man.

Jo Jo Gunn

Oct 13, 2009, 2:52:26 PM10/13/09

"D. Peter Maus" <DPete...@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message

You made a generalization about how many stations are still in mono...I
asked you to back up that statement...and you couldn't.

D. Peter Maus

Oct 13, 2009, 3:12:42 PM10/13/09
On 10/13/09 13:52 , Jo Jo Gunn wrote:
> "D. Peter Maus"<DPete...@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
>> On 10/13/09 12:47 , Jo Jo Gunn wrote:
>>> "D. Peter Maus"<DPete...@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message

>>> I don't know Peter...it sounds more anecdotal than anything....
>>>

>> No different than your assertion, my man.
>

> You made a generalization about how many stations are still in mono...I
> asked you to back up that statement...and you couldn't.

Just as you made a generalization about how many stations weren't
in mono. Also without any support.

I'm sure you don't drive the backroads with a pad and paper
recording calls, city of license, and whether the pilot is lit.
Neither do I. On a road trip, I may hear 15 radio stations a day. I
don't record the calls. And they may be 40 miles from where I'm
rolling at the time. The only reason I noticed the stations I
noticed is because the pilot wasn't lit. But I certainly didn't
spend any effort to find out who, or where, they were.

I might suggest this: The next time you travel, scan the dial.
See if you don't find a couple, yourself.

And then see if you can recall the name and location when someone
asks you the following week.:)

For the curious--Receiver in use: Drake SW-8 under dash, with
Hirschmann active on roof. And yes, with full stereo audio into the
vehicle speaker system. Where available.

Jo Jo Gunn

Oct 13, 2009, 3:30:19 PM10/13/09

"D. Peter Maus" <DPete...@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message

Do you dispute that there most stations are in stereo?

> I'm sure you don't drive the backroads with a pad and paper recording
> calls, city of license, and whether the pilot is lit.

Then do a little research.

> I might suggest this: The next time you travel, scan the dial. See if
> you don't find a couple, yourself.

I don't know the last time I picked up a station that was in mono on FM
(unless it was a pirate.)

> And then see if you can recall the name and location when someone asks
> you the following week.:)

If I DID hear one in mono...I'd certainly remember it.

SMS

Oct 13, 2009, 3:37:50 PM10/13/09
John Higdon wrote:
> In article <haej75$36t$1...@news.eternal-september.org>,
> "Watchin & Waitin'" <Wat...@Waitin.com> wrote:
>
>> Will they listen online when they are in the care? Or while they're joggin?
>
> 3G works for both.

And your N95 will have even less of a chance of being able to access the
AT&T W-CDMA network than it does now. Please don't encourage people to
use 3G bandwidth like that. Hopefully the wireless carriers will start
to limit usage on the iPhone and other 3G phones by switching to tiered
pricing.

I just bought an HD capable stereo from Crutchfield for one of my
vehicles (not because of the HD, the HD is standard on most new mobile
audio systems, but for the Bluetooth, iPod connectivity, and USB storage
devices support). I haven't installed it yet, but from what I've seen
there actually is some good content on the HD channels.

SMS

Oct 13, 2009, 3:50:46 PM10/13/09
John Higdon wrote:
> In article <4acf322e$0$16524$bd46...@news.dslextreme.com>,
> dave <da...@dave.dave> wrote:
>
>> Stereo destroys FM coverage. Those engineers were right.
>
> IBOC destroys coverage (of other stations) even more.
>
>> People don't complain as much as they just find other things to listen
>> to. Digital sidebands increase analog channel noise. That is a fact.
>> Now if they were to quit trying to do stereo in the analog channel, that
>> might work.
>
> Analog is still the bread and butter of all stations. Crippling it for
> the sake of promoting iBiquity's financial health is done at every
> station's peril.

iBiquity just wants to make its system the digital radio standard so the
company has value when they sell it. As analog radio goes the way of
analog television they want to be like Qualcomm is with 3G. They aren't
making any money now.

There are revenue opportunities in HD for the broadcasters that go
beyond simple advertising spots. Stations that don't take advantage of
these opportunities aren't too bright.

D. Peter Maus

Oct 13, 2009, 3:51:48 PM10/13/09

That was never in dispute.

>> I'm sure you don't drive the backroads with a pad and paper recording
>> calls, city of license, and whether the pilot is lit.
>
> Then do a little research.

You'd be more likely to believe the results if you looked it
up than if I told you about them. But you're not likely to find
whether or not the pilot is lit in any of the databases. It's not
something that's listed.

>> I might suggest this: The next time you travel, scan the dial. See if
>> you don't find a couple, yourself.
>
> I don't know the last time I picked up a station that was in mono on FM
> (unless it was a pirate.)
>
>> And then see if you can recall the name and location when someone asks
>> you the following week.:)
>
> If I DID hear one in mono...I'd certainly remember it.

I remember it, too. I just don't remember which station of
the 9 or so I heard in that region. Keep in mind you're talking
about a drive that was 700+ miles long, with stations 40 miles and
more from where I was at the moment. That's a band 700 miles long,
and at least 80 miles wide.

Lots of stations in there to look up.

But if you'd like the route, it was from Collinsville,
Oklahoma to Chicago, mostly on 44 in Missouri, and 55 in Illinois.

All of which may or may not be of interest beyond the academic.

The point is that there are still FM stations in mono, and
some of them are doing quite well.

Jo Jo Gunn

Oct 13, 2009, 4:07:48 PM10/13/09

"D. Peter Maus" <DPete...@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message

Please name me a few!

D. Peter Maus

Oct 13, 2009, 4:10:25 PM10/13/09

And we return to the beginning.

Enjoy the ride.

Brenda Ann

Oct 13, 2009, 6:03:09 PM10/13/09

"D. Peter Maus" <DPete...@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message

A large number of recent FM conversions (sports/talkers) are extinguishing
the stereo lamp. No need for stereo on these stations, and it does save a
small amount on energy bills and increases the SNR on the fringes.

dave

Oct 13, 2009, 6:39:16 PM10/13/09
How would it save energy? FM just turns carrier into sidebands; the
current never changes.

Dave Barnett

Oct 13, 2009, 7:11:21 PM10/13/09
to Jo Jo Gunn
Jo Jo Gunn wrote:

> (radiolocator links deleted to save a little bandwidth)

You actually proved my point. The blue area (while we all know that's
only predicted) is just about exactly where I used to receive the
signals on my stock 1996 Chevy pickup FM radio in the pre-HD days. KVMR
was a little better because their transmitter is so high off the valley
floor.

> Most radio stations do not make any money from DX listeners. Stations are
> not interested in servicing areas outside of their assigned license.

KPIG used to have ads for Streetlight Records in San Jose, as well as
some of the Stevens Creek car dealers. KVMR was very interested in
their ability to cover Sacramento. So much so that they had a
translator there for a while. While your statement is probably correct
for the conglomerates, there certainly are exceptions.

> People listening in the metro area of a signals are going to be deprived so
> a few people on the outskirts are able to pick up an out of town signal?

Given the penetration of HD receivers, you could also say "a few people
in the metro area of a signal are going to be deprived" so that other
people in the metro can pick up a weaker signal. I check the HD-2
broadcasts of our local channels probably twice a week just to see if
they decided to do anything interesting. Sometimes I hear silence,
sometimes the same song over & over, sometimes the PAD doesn't match the
program, and sometimes the errors go unnoticed for days. That probably
means nobody is listening.

There's no way of knowing for sure, but I suspect that the number of
listeners that KKUP lost in the Bay Area far exceeds the number of
people listening to KALW in HD. Likewise, the number of listeners that
KVMR lost in Sacramento probably exceeds the number of people listening
to KQEI in HD. Also - why is it that the interference area extends so
far beyond where an HD radio will lock? Is the system really that bad?

Dave B.

Brenda Ann

Oct 13, 2009, 7:27:19 PM10/13/09

>> A large number of recent FM conversions (sports/talkers) are
>> extinguishing the stereo lamp. No need for stereo on these stations, and
>> it does save a small amount on energy bills and increases the SNR on the
>> fringes.
>>

> How would it save energy? FM just turns carrier into sidebands; the
> current never changes.

All equipment draws power, that includes the stereo multiplex generator. If
they can switch that off, they save a few dollars a month on electricity.

Lawrence Statton

Oct 13, 2009, 10:17:08 PM10/13/09
"Brenda Ann" <newsg...@fullspectrumradio.org> writes:

Well .. .now we know we're dealing with Chuckie ... When faced with a
trivial technical error, rather than say "Oops, that's right, I wasn't
thinking clearly" we get some cock-and-bull story ... I would be willing
to bet a steak dinner that the energy cost difference between MPX and
non-MPX would be less than the cost of said-same steak dinner.

Brenda Ann

Oct 13, 2009, 11:13:09 PM10/13/09

"Lawrence Statton" <yankee...@gmail.com> wrote in message

I made no error, I said exactly what I meant, and when the poster questioned
me for particulars, I restated it more clearly.

Whereas compared to the total operating costs for an FM station the cost of
running the MPX generator is relatively small, it is not non-existant.
Therefor, a cost savings, however meager, is realized by shutting off the
equipment. One can also simplify the audio chain when one does not need
stereo.

A station at which I worked, KBOO in Portland, OR, did not even bother to
have stereo until into the early 1980's, because equipment and electrical
costs were not within budget, and not worth the effort. They still had
plenty of listeners/subscribers, and the raw percentage of market (so to
speak) did not change when they finally did go stereo.

Also, mono puts in a listenable signal to nearly twice the range in stereo,
and the listener doesn't have to bother with switching to mono on their end
to clean up the signal.

Watchin & Waitin'

Oct 14, 2009, 1:33:50 AM10/14/09

"D. Peter Maus" <DPete...@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message

you keep making statements that u cant back up maus.

Watchin & Waitin'

Oct 14, 2009, 1:33:42 AM10/14/09

> Jo Jo Gunn wrote:
>
>> (radiolocator links deleted to save a little bandwidth)
>
> You actually proved my point. The blue area (while we all know that's
> only predicted) is just about exactly where I used to receive the signals
> on my stock 1996 Chevy pickup FM radio in the pre-HD days. KVMR was a
> little better because their transmitter is so high off the valley floor.

i think you made his point...that you are a fringe listener.

>> Most radio stations do not make any money from DX listeners. Stations
>> are not interested in servicing areas outside of their assigned license.
>
> KPIG used to have ads for Streetlight Records in San Jose, as well as some
> of the Stevens Creek car dealers. KVMR was very interested in their
> ability to cover Sacramento. So much so that they had a translator there
> for a while. While your statement is probably correct for the
> conglomerates, there certainly are exceptions.

having one record store or a car dealer advertising is not an indicator that
much money was pulled from that area. it could have been part of a multi
station buy, rep firm, or a dealer looking to take advantage of a hole in
the market.

>> People listening in the metro area of a signals are going to be deprived
>> so a few people on the outskirts are able to pick up an out of town
>> signal?
>
> Given the penetration of HD receivers, you could also say "a few people in
> the metro area of a signal are going to be deprived" so that other people
> in the metro can pick up a weaker signal. I check the HD-2 broadcasts of
> our local channels probably twice a week just to see if they decided to do
> anything interesting. Sometimes I hear silence, sometimes the same song
> over & over, sometimes the PAD doesn't match the program, and sometimes
> the errors go unnoticed for days. That probably means nobody is
> listening.

like jo jo said....like FM in the early days. I remember hearing automation
fail on the early FM's...and i was always interested in how long it would be
before someone at the station noticed. multiple sources audio dead air
an element repeating over and over.

doesnt mean no one was listening.

;-)

> There's no way of knowing for sure, but I suspect that the number of
> listeners that KKUP lost in the Bay Area far exceeds the number of people
> listening to KALW in HD. Likewise, the number of listeners that KVMR lost
> in Sacramento probably exceeds the number of people listening to KQEI in
> HD.

thats right...you'll never know...so you can only speculate. however, the
people with the money at risk, the investors and mangers who see the
research have a better understanding of where the listeners are and wherre
the money is. i trust their understanding of this is better than yours

>Also - why is it that the interference area extends so far beyond where an
>HD radio will lock? Is the system really that bad?

dx-ers have to put up with all sorts of stuff....it's the nature of the
game. stations dont care about dx-ers.....fcc doesn't care about
dxers....it's table scraps u take what you can get

Watchin & Waitin'

Oct 14, 2009, 1:33:55 AM10/14/09

"Brenda Ann" <newsg...@fullspectrumradio.org> wrote in message

once again, as jo jo asked....can you name one that has extinguished their
stereo pilot?

i think a lot of people use the stereo light for tuning so it might hurt
listenership even if its not needed.

Watchin & Waitin'

Oct 14, 2009, 1:33:47 AM10/14/09

> "Lawrence Statton" <yankee...@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> "Brenda Ann" <newsg...@fullspectrumradio.org> writes:
>>
>>> "dave" <da...@dave.dave> wrote in message

>>> All equipment draws power, that includes the stereo multiplex generator.
>>> If
>>> they can switch that off, they save a few dollars a month on
>>> electricity.

i would think that the tradeoff between saving a few dollars a month, and
losing a few listeners who tune to the stereo light.....the few bucks saved
would be better used to keep more listeners looking for that stereo light!

D. Peter Maus

Oct 14, 2009, 3:53:32 AM10/14/09

Pot-Kettle-Black.

D. Peter Maus

Oct 14, 2009, 4:31:12 AM10/14/09
On 10/14/09 24:33 , Watchin & Waitin' wrote:
That used to be true. FM Mono Mute was commonplace in home
receivers. Until better designs permitted lower noise stereo
listening. Keep in mind that many stations killed the pilot during
mono programming. Some NPR stations still do. WBEZ, Chicago still
does this. So does WFMT. Though mono programming is rare, today.
Today, selectable FM stereo itself is comparatively rare in low and
midlevel receiver design, with most FM capable receivers simply
hardwired to stereo, allowing the 'Blend' circuit to handle low
signal noise avoidance by progressively combining the two channels
as a function of signal strength, until eventually deep fringe
reception is in mono. So FM Mono Mute is no longer a useful
function, and like selectable stereo, is not included in many
receiver designs. In fact, many car radios no longer even include a
stereo pilot indicator. GM Car radios haven't included a stereo
pilot indicator for a number of years, now, or even a selectable
Mono function. The blend circuit, instead, reduced stereo separation
to control low signal noise, so there is no loss of reception during
mono broadcasting. I've got two Walkman portables that do not have a
stereo indicator, nor selectable mono reception, relying on a blend
circuit for FM noise control.

~ RHF

Oct 14, 2009, 9:13:27 AM10/14/09
On Oct 13, 10:33 pm, "Watchin & Waitin'" <Watc...@Waitin.com> wrote:
> "Dave Barnett" <dave.dbarnet...@SPAMgmail.com> wrote in message

DX'ers are Radio's version of the 1%'ers; and since
Radio is a Business : You can't make Money on
the 1%'ers.

~ RHF

Oct 14, 2009, 9:17:52 AM10/14/09
On Oct 13, 7:17 am, Dave Barnett <dave.dbarnet...@SPAMgmail.com>
wrote:

-  Another instance where the FCC is
- completely blind to the real world.

Reality Check on the Real World of Commercial Radio :
The FCC's Public Duty {Obligation} is to Manage the
Public Air-Waves to 'enable' Local Advertising {Business
-aka- Tax Revenue} in the Local Media Market Area :
Creating the Added Benefit of providing News, Information
and Entertainment to the Local Community.
-translation- Advertising Pays the Way to provide
the Public Benefit of Free Over-the-Air Radio.
-ps- The FCC Knows That as every US Congressperson
reminds them of Promoting Business in their Districts.

~ RHF

Oct 14, 2009, 9:23:58 AM10/14/09
On Oct 13, 3:03 pm, "Brenda Ann" <newsgro...@fullspectrumradio.org>
wrote:
> "D. Peter Maus" <DPeterM...@worldnet.att.net> wrote in messagenews:hb2jfc$qjv$1...@news.eternal-september.org...

> > On 10/13/09 13:52 , Jo Jo Gunn wrote:
> >> "D. Peter Maus"<DPeterM...@worldnet.att.net>  wrote in message

- A large number of recent FM conversions (sports/talkers) are
extinguishing
- the stereo lamp. No need for stereo on these stations, and it does
save a
- small amount on energy bills and increases the SNR on the fringes.

1 - Know Your Product {Technology}

2 - Know Your Customers {Buyers}

Use #1 to Get More of #2
that's better business ~ RHF
.

~ RHF

Oct 14, 2009, 9:32:01 AM10/14/09
On Oct 13, 3:39 pm, dave <d...@dave.dave> wrote:
> Brenda Ann wrote:
> > "D. Peter Maus" <DPeterM...@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message

- How would it save energy?
- FM just turns carrier into sidebands;
- the current never changes.

=IF= As your yourself 'Dave' have stated that the
same FM 'Mono' Radio Signal [ERP] goes farther
than a 'Stereo' signal from the FM Station : Then
there is an effective improvement in the coverage
area of the signal without an increase in Power.
-translation- Energy Improvement = Cost Savings
.

dave

Oct 14, 2009, 9:35:06 AM10/14/09
Watchin & Waitin' wrote:

> once again, as jo jo asked....can you name one that has extinguished their
> stereo pilot?
>
> i think a lot of people use the stereo light for tuning so it might hurt
> listenership even if its not needed.

You can just insert a 19 KHz whistle into the program stream to light
the "Stereo" indicator, right?

dave

Oct 14, 2009, 9:37:45 AM10/14/09
~ RHF wrote:

> DX'ers are Radio's version of the 1%'ers; and since
> Radio is a Business : You can't make Money on
> the 1%'ers.

Who says radio has to be a business? It's really not that capital
intensive. You can run a station really well on donations.

~ RHF

Oct 14, 2009, 9:41:48 AM10/14/09
On Oct 13, 7:17 pm, Lawrence Statton <yankeeinex...@gmail.com> wrote:
> "Brenda Ann" <newsgro...@fullspectrumradio.org> writes:
> > "dave" <d...@dave.dave> wrote in message

> >> How would it save energy?  FM just turns carrier into sidebands;  the
> >> current never changes.
>
> > All equipment draws power, that includes the stereo multiplex generator. If
> > they can switch that off, they save a few dollars a month on electricity.

- Well .. .now we know we're dealing with Chuckie ... When faced with
- trivial technical error, rather than say "Oops, that's right, I
wasn't
- thinking clearly" we get some cock-and-bull story ... I would be
willing
- to bet a steak dinner that the energy cost difference between MPX
and
- non-MPX would be less than the cost of said-same steak dinner.

D'Oh ! - a penny saved -is- A Penny Saved.

In the overall picture the 'Savings' was a side-benefit
which would be a negative-proof the the Action did
not cost the FM Station Money {Add to Costs}
-while- The 'real' Tangible Benefit was that the FM
Station increased it service area and had the potential
to serve more Sports-Talk Radio Listeners with a
Product that meant their Listening Expectations
of hearing good quality Talk {Mono} Audio.
.

dave

Oct 14, 2009, 9:44:45 AM10/14/09
~ RHF wrote:

> Reality Check on the Real World of Commercial Radio :
> The FCC's Public Duty {Obligation} is to Manage the
> Public Air-Waves to 'enable' Local Advertising {Business
> -aka- Tax Revenue} in the Local Media Market Area :
> Creating the Added Benefit of providing News, Information
> and Entertainment to the Local Community.
> -translation- Advertising Pays the Way to provide
> the Public Benefit of Free Over-the-Air Radio.
> -ps- The FCC Knows That as every US Congressperson
> reminds them of Promoting Business in their Districts.

You can't do real news without stepping on sponsors' feet sometimes. A
so-called All News station that relies on advertising is a fraud. They
just advance the corporate goals and fuck everyone else.

Broadcast licenses are issued in the public interest, convenience and
necessity.

dave

Oct 14, 2009, 9:45:48 AM10/14/09
~ RHF wrote:

> Use #1 to Get More of #2
> that's better business ~ RHF
> .

There's an overabundance of #2 on the airwaves today.

~ RHF

Oct 14, 2009, 9:46:52 AM10/14/09
On Oct 13, 10:33 pm, "Watchin & Waitin'" <Watc...@Waitin.com> wrote:
> "Brenda Ann" <newsgro...@fullspectrumradio.org> wrote in message

> > "D. Peter Maus" <DPeterM...@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message

- i think a lot of people use the stereo light for tuning
- so it might hurt listenership even if its not needed.

Be it Manual Tune -and-or- Auto Scan/Seek :
Radio Listeners 'know' what they like to listen too
and once they find it : They hit a Pre-Set and after
that it becomes a no-brainer to tune-in again.
.

~ RHF

Oct 14, 2009, 9:57:03 AM10/14/09
- Broadcast licenses are issued in the public interest,
- convenience and necessity.

Dave the FCC and your 'local' US Congressperson
define "The Public Interest" as a Strong Local
Economy aided by a Local Media Market with a
diversity of Advertisers resulting in Enhanced Tax
Revenues to all levels of Government.
.

Jo Jo Gunn

Oct 14, 2009, 11:54:15 AM10/14/09

"D. Peter Maus" <DPete...@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message

Is this the equivalent of "he did it first?" You haven't backed up one of
your statements.

Jo Jo Gunn

Oct 14, 2009, 11:55:07 AM10/14/09

>~ RHF wrote:
>

>> DX'ers are Radio's version of the 1%'ers; and since
>> Radio is a Business : You can't make Money on
>> the 1%'ers.
>
> Who says radio has to be a business?

OK...now lets take this conversation off to the shoulder of the road.

D. Peter Maus

Oct 14, 2009, 12:41:58 PM10/14/09
On 10/14/09 10:54 , Jo Jo Gunn wrote:
> "D. Peter Maus"<DPete...@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
Neither have you.

Jo Jo Gunn

Oct 14, 2009, 1:29:50 PM10/14/09

"D. Peter Maus" <DPete...@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message

Which statement do you need proof of? That most of the FM's in the country
are in stereo? Or that the engineers that suggested not turning on the
stereo pilot are mired in the past?

Which do you have trouble comprehending?

dave

Oct 14, 2009, 1:38:10 PM10/14/09

Local communities decide what is in their best interests, not Buck
McKeon and Cox Radio.

dave

Oct 14, 2009, 1:43:18 PM10/14/09

Never say never, Dwardo.

D. Peter Maus

Oct 14, 2009, 1:51:37 PM10/14/09

Excuse me...that wasn't the discussion. Your assertion was that
ALL FM's in the country are stereo. That no mono FM's have survived.

You can't change the ball once it's in play.

There are surviving mono FM stations. Few in number. But I made
that point, myself.

> Or that the engineers that suggested not turning on the
> stereo pilot are mired in the past?

Also a point that was not in dispute. It's still done. But it's
largely unnecessary. I'm not sure if there's been a rules change,
but it was required by FCC that the pilot be killed when programming
went to mono.

Since many new receivers no longer have a stereo indicator, nor
mono mute, this is becoming an anachronism. I made that point myself.

Re-read the thread. It's all there.

> Which do you have trouble comprehending?

Why you demand quarter that you, yourself, are unwilling to give.

Jo Jo Gunn

Oct 14, 2009, 2:04:37 PM10/14/09

"D. Peter Maus" <DPete...@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message

I said "virtually all FM's are stereo".

> You can't change the ball once it's in play.
>
> There are surviving mono FM stations. Few in number. But I made that
> point, myself.

You made the assertion that there are a lot of them...and many prosperous.

>> Which do you have trouble comprehending?
>>

> Why you demand quarter that you, yourself, are unwilling to give.

Not so. Please explain which statement you need clarification on. I will
gladly elaborate

On the other hand you couldnot point to one station to prove your
point...never mind a "prosperous station".

Sorry, you lose.

It is loading more messages.