Air America fastest growing radio network in history

David

Feb 3, 2005, 10:40:51 AM2/3/05
Franken's Air America bounces back with Bush win
Wed Feb 2, 2005 08:03 PM ET
By Steve Gorman
LOS ANGELES, Feb 2 (Reuters) - Comedian and political provocateur Al
Franken says the re-election of U.S. President George W. Bush was bad
for the country but good for his fledgling liberal radio network, Air
America, as it strives to rebound from a rocky start.

Much as conservative radio host Rush Limbaugh grew in popularity as he
railed for eight years against Democrat Bill Clinton, Franken sees
Bush as the perfect foil in his mission to amplify the voice of the
political left on daytime talk radio.
In an interview with Reuters ahead of this week's return of Air
America to Los Angeles, the second largest U.S. city, Franken said he
was as disappointed as any lefty by Bush's victory over Democratic
challenger John Kerry.

But in his view, Kerry's loss was Air America's gain.

"Obviously, it's more fun to go after Bush's terrible ideas and
programs than to defend Kerry's not-quite-exactly-what-we -want
plans," said Franken, 53, whose New York-based show and the rest of
Air America's lineup will begin airing on KTLK-AM in Los Angeles on
Thursday, the day after Bush's State of the Union address.

By the end of the month, the network that began in just six cities on
March 31, 2004, then nearly collapsed weeks later amid financial woes,
will have spread to 50 stations nationwide, including outlets in 15 of
the top 20 markets, among them New York, Washington, D.C., Miami,
Boston, Atlanta and Philadelphia.

It will even venture into Bush's home state of Texas with a launch on
a Corpus Christi station later this month.

The network's programming, which includes shows hosted by actress
Janeane Garofalo and commentator Randi Rhodes, also airs on satellite
radio and the Internet on (http://www.airamericaradio.com).

With a new team of executives in charge and investors committing
additional capital, Air America President Jon Sinton predicted the
network could reach profitability by year's end.

"We are as far as I can determine the fastest-growing network in the
history of this industry," Sinton said, adding that its cumulative
national audience ranges from 2.5 million to 3 million listeners per
week.

That pales in comparison to the 20 million so-called "ditto heads" who
tune in weekly to hear Limbaugh on nearly 600 stations nationwide, but
Sinton noted that the conservative commentator has a 15-year jump on
Air America.

The KTLK launch marks a key turning point after the network was
unceremoniously dumped from another Los Angeles station last spring
due to a cash crunch.

Ironically, some of the network's biggest successes have come on
stations owned by Clear Channel Communications Inc. (CCU.N: Quote,
Profile, Research) , the media giant seen by liberals as a tool of the
right and whose subsidiary, Premiere Radio Networks, syndicates
Limbaugh's show.

But Sinton said it should come as no surprise "when businesses behave
in ways that will enhance their bottom line." As one industry insider
who spoke on condition of anonymity put it, "If Franken can deliver an
audience, they'll run to Franken. They don't care about his politics."

© Reuters 2005. All Rights Reserved.

MnMikew

Feb 3, 2005, 1:01:29 PM2/3/05

"David" <ric...@knac.com> wrote in message

> Franken's Air America bounces back with Bush win

"We are as far as I can determine the fastest-growing network in the

history of this industry," Sinton said,"

One mans opinion is hardly fact.

RHF

Feb 3, 2005, 1:20:27 PM2/3/05
DaviD,

.
" But in his view, Kerry's loss was Air America's gain. "
.
America's Gain was that Kerry Lost [.]
.
There is NO America in Hot-Air 'america' !
.
Just "One Mans Opinion" from a
Red-White-and-Blue County in a
very not-so-blue State Cali-4-Ni-A .
.
~ RHF
.
.

David

Feb 3, 2005, 1:44:56 PM2/3/05
He left it open to challenge. Made you look!

On Thu, 3 Feb 2005 12:01:29 -0600, "MnMikew" <mnmi...@aol.com>

David

Feb 3, 2005, 1:46:07 PM2/3/05
A lively reasoned discourse on the issues of the day is totally
American, Bunghole.

On 3 Feb 2005 10:20:27 -0800, "RHF" <rhf-new...@pacbell.net>

dxAce

Feb 3, 2005, 1:52:51 PM2/3/05

David wrote:

> A lively reasoned discourse on the issues of the day is totally
> American, Bunghole.

You don't know jack about America, 'tard boy.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

RHF

Feb 3, 2005, 2:42:33 PM2/3/05
DaviD,
.
" Bunghole "
.
Alas a Topic that you are 'eminently qualified' to Discuss.
.
The American Bunghole - by DaviD,
A Head-Up-Your-Ass approach to Reasoned Discourse.
.
just for the fun of it ~ RHF
.
.

MnMikew

Feb 3, 2005, 4:29:52 PM2/3/05

> He left it open to challenge. Made you look!

More like he just made it up.

x...@yyy.com

Feb 4, 2005, 9:30:11 AM2/4/05
Thanks for the info. I didn't realize that Air America is on the air in San
Diego. This is a good time to try it out since PBS is having a fund drive.

Larry

Tom Sevart

Feb 4, 2005, 11:32:03 PM2/4/05
Kind of strange that he'd name his network after the secret CIA airline in
Vietnam! :-)

--
Tom Sevart N2UHC
Frontenac, KS

McWebber

Feb 5, 2005, 2:36:51 AM2/5/05
"Tom Sevart" <n2uhc...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> Kind of strange that he'd name his network after the secret CIA airline in
> Vietnam! :-)

Check your dictionary for irony.

Larry Weil

Feb 5, 2005, 3:33:21 PM2/5/05
"Tom Sevart" <n2uhc...@yahoo.com> wrote in

> Kind of strange that he'd name his network after the secret CIA
> airline in Vietnam! :-)

If it's secret, how do you know about it, and why are you subjecting
yourself to possible prosecution for treason by posting it on the internet?

>--
Larry Weil
Lake Wobegone, NH

David

Feb 6, 2005, 11:24:26 AM2/6/05
Dude, they made a movie. Mel Gibson. Robert Downey Jr.

Stinger

Feb 6, 2005, 3:56:05 PM2/6/05

"MnMikew" <mnmi...@aol.com> wrote in message

No, it's probably right. Just remember, figure's don't lie -- but liars
will figure.

Think about it -- There are plenty of ways to quantify "fastest growing."
For instance, when they went from 10 stations to 11, that was a 10%
increase. So now, when they go from 40 to 41 that's still a 2 1/2%
increase.

Meanwhile, if Rush goes from his current 600 stations to 601, that's only
.16 of a percent of increase. OH MY GOD!

Aren't statistics fun!

The funniest thing about this is that "Air America" could be broadcast 24/7
on 1000 antennas and it still wouldn't have the ratings of Limbaugh's show.
It's all about ratings, and Air America's are dismal.

-- Stinger

Tom Betz

Feb 6, 2005, 7:17:36 PM2/6/05
Quoth "Stinger" <con...@newsserveronly.com> in news:4uvNd.23866
$3W3....@bignews4.bellsouth.net:

> It's all about ratings, and Air America's are dismal.

It's all about making money for the stations carrying your
programming, which makes money for you, and Air America is doing it.

And AAR programming is getting respectable ratings as well,
considering how young they are, and the poor quality of signals they
are on in most of the country.

Talk radio ratings take time to grow. And AAR is growing them in
desirable demographic markets Limbaugh and Hannity can't touch.

--
George Bush's War of Choice on Iraq is a totally unnecessary war.
Every life lost, every limb lost, every disfigurement, every

Tom Betz

Feb 7, 2005, 11:15:40 AM2/7/05
Tom Betz <spamme...@pobox.com> wrote in news:Xns95F5C442F902Bg...@166.84.1.70:

> Quoth "Stinger" <con...@newsserveronly.com> in news:4uvNd.23866
> $3W3....@bignews4.bellsouth.net:
>
>> It's all about ratings, and Air America's are dismal.
>
> It's all about making money for the stations carrying your
> programming, which makes money for you, and Air America is doing it.

From <http://www.washtimes.com/upi-breaking/20050203-051616-5199r.htm>:

Gabe Hobbs, Clear Channel Radio vice president of programming,
news/talk/sports, told United Press International progressive talk
is experiencing vigorous growth, largely because the recent round
of the format's expansion took place during the contentious
election year of 2004.

"People had a heightened interest in electoral politics," he said,
"and we used that opportunity to fill a need and launch a new
format."

Hobbs said talk stations typically take 18 months to two years to
become established, but progressive talk is connecting considerably
faster for Clear Channel.

"Our stations are getting there in 30 to 90 days," he said. "That's
remarkable considering most of the talent, no one knows who they
are."

--
George Bush's War of Choice on Iraq is a totally unnecessary war.
Every life lost, every limb lost, every disfigurement, every
disability caused there is more blood on George W. Bush's hands,
and on the hands of everyone who voted for George W. Bush.
The more you know, the less likely you were to vote for Bush.
<http://shorterlink.com/?47TBP8>

For the facts on Iraq, see <http://optruth.org>.

I'm not the one who invented reality. Reality invented me.

Stinger

Feb 7, 2005, 1:21:50 PM2/7/05

"Tom Betz" <spamme...@pobox.com> wrote in message
> [...]

Wow, Betz -- you're even stupider than I thought -- and that's really saying
something!

Perhaps this audio link from what is sure to be a trusted source for you
(NPR), entitled "Money Woes for the Air America Radio Network" will give you
a reality check:
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=1911057

As for the "demographics" that Rush and Hannity can't touch, that would mean
what? Academia? Mental Hospital Inpatients? Ha!

-- Stinger

Al Dykes

Feb 7, 2005, 1:54:48 PM2/7/05
In article <MgONd.38437$t67....@bignews5.bellsouth.net>,

Dated May '04, when they _did_ have a problem with the venture
capital, kicked out the CEO and got more backing. It seems they are
on a nice growth curve. That situation is almost a year old, now.

--

a d y k e s @ p a n i x . c o m

Don't blame me. I voted for Gore.

Tom Betz

Feb 7, 2005, 2:02:03 PM2/7/05
ady...@panix.com (Al Dykes) wrote in news:cu8dho$gca$1...@panix5.panix.com:

You don't expect that idiot Bushite sheep to keep in touch with reality,
do you? Reality is against his religion. No, he'd rather cling to
someothing somebody told him a long time ago that made him feel good
about himself, like a hillbilly heroin addict who just can't recapture
that beautiful first high again, no matter how big a dose he snorts.

I'm almost ashamed of the schadenfreude I experience watching these
sheeple make fools of themselves over and over and over again, as they
continue to bang their heads against reality.

--
George Bush's War of Choice on Iraq is a totally unnecessary war.
Every life lost, every limb lost, every disfigurement, every
disability caused there is more blood on George W. Bush's hands,
and on the hands of everyone who voted for George W. Bush.
The more you know, the less likely you were to vote for Bush.
<http://shorterlink.com/?47TBP8>

For the facts on Iraq, see <http://optruth.org>.

dxAce

Feb 7, 2005, 2:15:56 PM2/7/05

Tom Betz wrote:

> ady...@panix.com (Al Dykes) wrote in news:cu8dho$gca$1...@panix5.panix.com:
>
> > In article <MgONd.38437$t67....@bignews5.bellsouth.net>,
> > Stinger <con...@newsserveronly.com> wrote:
> >>
> >>Perhaps this audio link from what is sure to be a trusted source for
> >>you (NPR), entitled "Money Woes for the Air America Radio Network"
> >>will give you a reality check:
> >>http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=1911057
> >
> > Dated May '04, when they _did_ have a problem with the venture
> > capital, kicked out the CEO and got more backing. It seems they are
> > on a nice growth curve. That situation is almost a year old, now.
>
> You don't expect that idiot Bushite sheep to keep in touch with reality,
> do you? Reality is against his religion. No, he'd rather cling to
> someothing somebody told him a long time ago that made him feel good
> about himself, like a hillbilly heroin addict who just can't recapture
> that beautiful first high again, no matter how big a dose he snorts.
>
> I'm almost ashamed of the schadenfreude I experience watching these
> sheeple make fools of themselves over and over and over again, as they
> continue to bang their heads against reality.

'Tis you who have the problem with reality, 'tard boy.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Stinger

Feb 7, 2005, 2:22:54 PM2/7/05

"Tom Betz" <spamme...@pobox.com> wrote in message

My, my -- we've got the condescending tone down to a science now, don't we?
How DARE someone refute MY opinion, huh? (Which is ironically, basically
the same problem with the asinine content at Air America, too)

Well, how's this for up-to-date AND real? Let's see how it's doing in the
ratings in NEW YORK CITY! (That would be the flagship lib spot on the map,
wouldn't it?) I quote:

" AIR AMERICA' RATINGS TURBULENCE IN NY CITY: Surprising many observers who
expected it to shine during election season, all-liberal upstart WLIB (1190
AM) -- base station for Al Franken and Janeane Garofalo -- actually headed
south, shedding 15% of its summer audience to finish fall at 24th place in
just-released ARBITRONS... "

Schadenfreude that, you condescending liberal twits!

-- Stinger

Message has been deleted

Telamon

Feb 7, 2005, 9:35:59 PM2/7/05
In article <Xns95F68EC3DE2CEg...@166.84.1.70>,
Tom Betz <spamme...@pobox.com> wrote:

> ady...@panix.com (Al Dykes) wrote in news:cu8dho$gca$1...@panix5.panix.com:
>
> > In article <MgONd.38437$t67....@bignews5.bellsouth.net>,
> > Stinger <con...@newsserveronly.com> wrote:
> >>
> >>Perhaps this audio link from what is sure to be a trusted source for
> >>you (NPR), entitled "Money Woes for the Air America Radio Network"
> >>will give you a reality check:
> >>http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=1911057
> >
> > Dated May '04, when they _did_ have a problem with the venture
> > capital, kicked out the CEO and got more backing. It seems they are
> > on a nice growth curve. That situation is almost a year old, now.
>
> You don't expect that idiot Bushite sheep to keep in touch with reality,
> do you? Reality is against his religion.

< Snip >

Says the talking ass of RRS.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California

David

Feb 8, 2005, 9:58:47 AM2/8/05
On Mon, 7 Feb 2005 13:22:54 -0600, "Stinger"
<con...@newsserveronly.com> wrote:

>" AIR AMERICA' RATINGS TURBULENCE IN NY CITY: Surprising many observers who
>expected it to shine during election season, all-liberal upstart WLIB (1190
>AM) -- base station for Al Franken and Janeane Garofalo -- actually headed
>south, shedding 15% of its summer audience to finish fall at 24th place in
>just-released ARBITRONS... "
>
>Schadenfreude that, you condescending liberal twits!
>
>-- Stinger

Perfect example of how easily a moron can be misled by a flashy
headline. The rating went from 2.4 to 2.2.

dxAce

Feb 8, 2005, 10:02:53 AM2/8/05

David wrote:

And you're a moron who is easily misled by flashy 'liberal' stories.

Now, go take those meds, 'tard boy... hit the sidewalk and try to tote it like
your daddy taught you.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Stinger

Feb 8, 2005, 10:50:38 AM2/8/05

"David" <ric...@knac.com> (obviously distracted by a bright, shiny object)
wrote in message news:sqkh01dcu2demignp...@4ax.com...

Exactly right, dimwit -- the rating DID go from 2.4 (miniscule) to 2.2
(microscopic) for a 15% DROP to 24th.

They LOST 15% of their already TINY audience in NYC.

So, where on earth could they have gone?

Uh oh -- Rush found 'em!

Youth Audiences Help Rush Limbaugh's Ratings Grow!
Wednesday January 12, 5:37 pm ET
New York City Adults 18-49 Years Old, Up More Than 50% in Arbitron

LOS ANGELES, Jan. 12 /PRNewswire/ -- Rush Limbaugh received a great birthday
gift today from his New York City listeners -- Arbitron, the official
monitoring service of broadcast radio, reports that listening Adults 18-49
years old grew more than 50 percent over the last year. As the ratings roll
out nationally from city to city, New York's WABC-AM numbers are out first,
demonstrating the following overall gains for The Rush Limbaugh Show: Adults
18-34 are up 25 percent, Persons 12+ are up 35 percent, and Adults 25-54 are
up 47 percent. (source: Arbitron MSA)

Read it and weep, shit-for-brains.

-- Stinger

RHF

Feb 8, 2005, 12:17:48 PM2/8/05
STINGER,
.
Just as my Daddy raised me to Love My Country and
"Listen" to the 'likes' of John K Chapel, Ira Blue
and Paul Harvey
* John K Chapel "Author, Lecturer and World Traveler
* "John K. Chapel, NEWS and Commentary" KABL
* Ira Blue the 'original' KGO Night Time Talk Show
* Paul Harvey "News and Comment" and "The Rest of the Story"
.
My Grand Children are being raised to Love Their Country
and Listen to: Rush Limbaugh, Dr Laura and Sean Hannity.
One little 4 Year Old Grand Daughter is fond of saying
"Now Go Do The Right Thing !"
.
teach your children well ~ RHF
.
.

David Eduardo

Feb 8, 2005, 2:17:01 PM2/8/05

"David" <ric...@knac.com> wrote in message

And that is well within the margin of error for a survey at that share
level.

David Eduardo

Feb 8, 2005, 2:19:52 PM2/8/05

"Stinger" <con...@newsserveronly.com> wrote in message

> "David" <ric...@knac.com> (obviously distracted by a bright, shiny
> object) wrote in message

>> Perfect example of how easily a moron can be misled by a flashy

>> headline. The rating went from 2.4 to 2.2.
>>

> Exactly right, dimwit -- the rating DID go from 2.4 (miniscule) to 2.2
> (microscopic) for a 15% DROP to 24th.

0.2 in Arbitron is way, way inside the margin of error. A 2.4 is a 2.2 is a
2.0 is a 2.6. In other words, no change.

> They LOST 15% of their already TINY audience in NYC.

They have a sizable audience considering thier more limited signal. They are
doing far better than anything on 1190 has done for decades.

> So, where on earth could they have gone?
>
> Uh oh -- Rush found 'em!

No, that is like saying that all of NY's Jews suddenly showed up at St.
Paddys for mass. Ain't going to happen.

> Read it and weep, shit-for-brains.

Learn how ratings work before commenting again.

dxAce

Feb 8, 2005, 2:32:59 PM2/8/05

David Eduardo wrote:

And Air America catching up with Rush... Ain't gonna happen.

Failed ideas, failed philosophy, failed candidates (many of whom should be in
jail, (Teddy Kennedy for one, John Kerry for another))

Buy ammo! It'll be over fairly quickly, but always be prepared.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Stinger

Feb 8, 2005, 3:23:05 PM2/8/05

"David Eduardo" <amd...@pacbell.com> wrote in message

LOL!

Learn to do simple arithmetic before trying (in vain) refute overwhelming
numbers.

-- Stinger

Stinger

Feb 8, 2005, 3:28:42 PM2/8/05

"David Eduardo" <amd...@pacbell.com> wrote in message
LOL! That crossed my mind as well. I was wondering what would even explain
the 2.2 (after hearing their programming).

You know what, Edildo, you should get a job taping Air America and selling
it to insomniacs!

-- Stinger

RHF

Feb 8, 2005, 3:35:22 PM2/8/05
Something To Think About . . .
.
Air America -=Verses=- National Public Radio (NPR)
[LIBERAL -v- Liberal]
.
Air America's 'biggest' Competitor is not Rush Limbaugh
or any other so called Conservative Talk Radio personality
... but all that good Liberal Programming that is being
pumped-out via the Tax Free (therefore Taxpayer Supported)
Public Radio Stations (NPR/PRI).
.
* Yes in NPR/PRI - Air America has a Rival who has
had a monopoly on the Liberal Agenda
.
"The Voice of Liberalism to the so called Educated ELITE."
.
* An Audience that has been buying the same Brand of
Liberal News and Information {TALK} Radio for over 50 Years.

* A Listener Base that is 'conditioned' to PAY (Donate)
for their Brand of Liberal Radio.

* Plus all those Liberal "Down For The Cause" FREELOADERS: Who Listen
and NEVER send in a Dime to Support what they
Claim that they 'believe-in'.
.
Lets Give It Up For NPR -Air America's Public Enemy # 1
.
something to think about ~ RHF
.
.

Stinger

Feb 8, 2005, 3:38:01 PM2/8/05

"RHF" <rhf-new...@pacbell.net> wrote in message

That's very well-thought insight, RHF.

-- Stinger

David Eduardo

Feb 8, 2005, 4:55:51 PM2/8/05

"dxAce" <dx...@eclipsed.com> wrote in message

> And Air America catching up with Rush... Ain't gonna happen.

In some markets, where AA has competitive signals, it is happening. The
margin, especially in 25-54, is close in some places, far off in others.
Just as Rush has 5 or 6 shares in some places, 2 to 3 shares in others.

> Failed ideas, failed philosophy, failed candidates (many of whom should be
> in
> jail, (Teddy Kennedy for one, John Kerry for another))

But it is entertaining radio. Talk radio is about entertainment, not
content.

> Buy ammo! It'll be over fairly quickly, but always be prepared.

Huh?

David Eduardo

Feb 8, 2005, 4:57:08 PM2/8/05

> "David Eduardo" <amd...@pacbell.com> wrote in message
>>
>> Learn how ratings work before commenting again.
>
> LOL!
>
> Learn to do simple arithmetic before trying (in vain) refute overwhelming
> numbers.

I have been doing Arbitron analysis for the last 35 years, and make a living
with the "simple math" of statistics.

Your response shows you know nothing about how radio ratings work.

David Eduardo

Feb 8, 2005, 4:58:33 PM2/8/05

> LOL! That crossed my mind as well. I was wondering what would even
> explain the 2.2 (after hearing their programming).

A 2.2 in New York is a very profitable number.

> You know what, Edildo, you should get a job taping Air America and selling
> it to insomniacs!

I don't like Air America, don't much care for Rush, either. But I do dislike
people who do not understand ratings who try to make convincing points based
on said ignorance.

Stinger

Feb 8, 2005, 5:45:05 PM2/8/05

"David Eduardo" <amd...@pacbell.com> wrote in message
And your response shows you don't know the difference between 15 and 2.2.

Must all liberals resort to condescending tones to pretend that they know a
deeper truth than the facts right in front of their noses?

For what it's worth, I put myself through college working at radio stations,
and I know my way through a book.

-- Stinger

Stinger

Feb 8, 2005, 5:51:43 PM2/8/05

"David Eduardo" <amd...@pacbell.com> wrote in message

And I don't like pompous blowhards that pretend they have a deeper truth
about a ridiculously tiny number 24 with a 2.2 in NYC, a market literally
full of liberals.

If THEY won't listen to that crap, who will? Maybe Cuba?? -- Edildo, see
if you can translate for them!

-- Stinger

Brian Hill

Feb 8, 2005, 6:02:23 PM2/8/05

"RHF" <rhf-new...@pacbell.net> wrote in message

Dr Laura ?

B.H.

David Eduardo

Feb 8, 2005, 5:57:12 PM2/8/05

> "David Eduardo" <amd...@pacbell.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "Stinger" <con...@newsserveronly.com> wrote in message

>>> LOL!
>>>
>>> Learn to do simple arithmetic before trying (in vain) refute
>>> overwhelming numbers.
>>
>> I have been doing Arbitron analysis for the last 35 years, and make a
>> living with the "simple math" of statistics.
>>
>> Your response shows you know nothing about how radio ratings work.
>>
> And your response shows you don't know the difference between 15 and 2.2.

I know that Air America in NY underperforms because the 5 mv/m signal barely
covers 40% of the market's population. If one retabulates the nubmers for
the city-grade coverage area, WLIB actually is very close to WABC in key
sales demos. In some markets, like Portland, it beats the conservative
talker. In San Diego, AA is on a vastly inferior signal, yet comes very
close to KOGO in 25-54. In most other markets, the format is way too new to
make any conclusion at all.

> Must all liberals resort to condescending tones to pretend that they know
> a deeper truth than the facts right in front of their noses?

I am not a liberal. In fact, in the last election I voted for the Partido
Nuevo Progresista, which is conservative. Being conservative does not, as a
rule, require divorcing oneself from reality.

> For what it's worth, I put myself through college working at radio
> stations, and I know my way through a book.

That is not apparent. College interns generally don't even see books... or
the electronic version in use for the last decade.

clifto

Feb 8, 2005, 6:04:17 PM2/8/05
David Eduardo wrote:
> "David" <ric...@knac.com> wrote...

>> Perfect example of how easily a moron can be misled by a flashy
>> headline. The rating went from 2.4 to 2.2.
>
> And that is well within the margin of error for a survey at that share
> level.

But had it gone from 2.2 to 2.4, you'd be touting it as a 400% increase.

--

In Memoriam: Julius the cat April 1, 1993 - February 3, 2005

Stinger

Feb 8, 2005, 6:15:46 PM2/8/05

"David Eduardo" <amd...@pacbell.com> wrote in message
You presume too much again. I wasn't an intern -- I was on-air talent (I
still do commercials in my spare time). It was a great way to pay the bills
while I went to graduate school.

And you can bitch about the signal all you want, but it doesn't change the
fact that Air America's numbers are not growing, and appear to have actually
fallen in their flagship market. Sure, if they broadcast in Berkely, they
might pick up a couple of listeners, but the fact is that they have very
little chance of surviving as a commercially viable network outside of a
very limited number of markets.

-- Stinger

David Eduardo

Feb 8, 2005, 6:09:47 PM2/8/05

> "David Eduardo" <amd...@pacbell.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "Stinger" <con...@newsserveronly.com> wrote in message
>>>>
>>> LOL! That crossed my mind as well. I was wondering what would even
>>> explain the 2.2 (after hearing their programming).
>>
>> A 2.2 in New York is a very profitable number.
>>>
>>> You know what, Edildo, you should get a job taping Air America and
>>> selling it to insomniacs!
>>
>> I don't like Air America, don't much care for Rush, either. But I do
>> dislike people who do not understand ratings who try to make convincing
>> points based on said ignorance.
>>

> And I don't like pompous blowhards that pretend they have a deeper truth
> about a ridiculously tiny number 24 with a 2.2 in NYC, a market literally
> full of liberals.

Again, although I posted this in my previous reply. WLIB puts a 5 mv/m over
less than 40% of the NY MSA. Most broadcasters today understand that heavily
populated urban areas with thick buildings and lots of man made interference
require as much as 10 to even 15 mv/m of field strength. WABC has such a
signal over the entire MSA. WLIB, when plotted against a 10 mv/m covers
around 30% of the population.

A 2.2 against 30% indexes as a 6.5 against the entire maket... meaning that
in areas where both stations cover well, the two are very, very close to
each other.

Studies of AM Arbitron diary returns show that more than 80% of listening is
inside the "hightly listenable" interference free countour... in Los
Angeles, this is 15 mv/m... with very little outside this zone.

> If THEY won't listen to that crap, who will? Maybe Cuba?? -- Edildo, see
> if you can translate for them!

AA is obviously doing well, or Clear Channel, a notoriously pro-Republican
and pro-Bush company, would not have committed nearly 20 major market
stations to the liberal talk format, based on AA's offering and one show
from Jones / Media America. Clear Channel just switched a 50 kw AM in Cincy,
and another in LA to AA. They also have moved AA onto a more limited signal
in DC (where every AM in the market is limited) and several other markets.
Clear Channel AM talk VP of Programming Gabe Hobbs recently stated that
liberal talk was on a strong, long term growth trend and said he anticipated
dedicating more stations to liberal talk formats in the future.

Remember, also, that talk is generally a long-term growth format and seldom
has the amazing initial spikes of AA. Usually, talk formats take several
years to develop, with ones like WABC, WLS and KFI taking 4 to 6 years to
break into consistent Top 10 performers (see Duncan's "An American Radio
Trilogy Vol. 1" for a 25 year trending of major talk conversions of the last
two and a half decades).

David Eduardo

Feb 8, 2005, 6:10:58 PM2/8/05

"clifto" <cli...@clifto.com> wrote in message

> David Eduardo wrote:
>> "David" <ric...@knac.com> wrote...
>>> Perfect example of how easily a moron can be misled by a flashy
>>> headline. The rating went from 2.4 to 2.2.
>>
>> And that is well within the margin of error for a survey at that share
>> level.
>
> But had it gone from 2.2 to 2.4, you'd be touting it as a 400% increase.

Personally, I do not give a darn what ratings they get. But the fact is that
mid-tier ratings generators have a margin of error well in excess of a 2.2
to 2.4 difference, even with the size of the NY sample.

Stinger

Feb 8, 2005, 6:35:40 PM2/8/05

>]

Blah, blah blah blah BLAH.

The fact is, if Air America had better ratings, they could land a blowtorch.
But they don't, so that's why they're not on one.

The difficulties you speak of that WLS and others had with switching to talk
formats had much more to do with finding the right talent than finding the
right format (as you should know). Nobody wanted to hear a nobody
discussing traffic, weather, and sports all day. It took them that long to
find the right talent -- and when they did, the results were there fairly
quickly.

For instance, Stern and Limbaugh have gone from zip to number one in plenty
of markets within one year. Believe me, Clear Channel, Infinity, or any
number of other groups would be all over Air America if they thought people
were actually going to listen -- they're not about ideology, they're about
audience numbers and demographics. They make more money when more of the
right people listen to their stations (or did they forget to print that in
An American Radio Trilogy Vol. 1?) Well, there's always room for volume 2,
isn't there?

-- Stinger

David Eduardo

Feb 8, 2005, 6:37:46 PM2/8/05

>> That is not apparent. College interns generally don't even see books...
>> or the electronic version in use for the last decade.
> You presume too much again. I wasn't an intern -- I was on-air talent (I
> still do commercials in my spare time). It was a great way to pay the
> bills while I went to graduate school.

Jocks seldom see books, and even less likely is that they would be
instructed how to read them.

> And you can bitch about the signal all you want, but it doesn't change the
> fact that Air America's numbers are not growing, and appear to have
> actually fallen in their flagship market.

A 2.4 to a 2.2 is not a "fall" but, in radio terms, a "wobble." What it
looks like is that two things happened. First, there was more sample outside
the WLIB signal (this also affected the ethnic stations, with all Spanish
stations being off as a group). Second, there was lighter than average talk
listening in 25-54, which affected both WABC and WLIB.

In other markets, where AA had been on for at least part of Summer, the
programming did very well in Fall across the nation. Considering the format
debut on signal-impaired facilities, it really performed better than is
obvious. It is a very viable format, as shown by Clear Channel's commitment
to a score of AA stations.

> Sure, if they broadcast in Berkely, they might pick up a couple of
> listeners, but the fact is that they have very little chance of surviving
> as a commercially viable network outside of a very limited number of
> markets.

It is far, far more viable than that.

Tom Betz

Feb 8, 2005, 7:00:08 PM2/8/05
Quoth "-=jd=-" <jd77...@HATpostmark.net> in

> On Mon 07 Feb 2005 02:02:03p, Tom Betz <spamme...@pobox.com>
> wrote in message
>
>> {snippage}
>>
>> I'm almost ashamed of the schadenfreude I experience watching
>> these sheeple make fools of themselves over and over and over
>> again, as they continue to bang their heads against reality.
>
> Wha-the...
> An "Almost Ashamed" liberal?!
> Get a grip, Sir!!

All I have to do is look at Bush backing down from stupid proposal
after stupid proposal, and to see more and more real Republicans
finally disassociating themselves from the Neocon agenda every day,
and I am no longer concerned about my schadenfreude.

Bush is daily solidifying his record as the Worst President Ever,
ensuring that the American body politic will be sufficiently
inoculated against the fascist Neocon virus by 2006 to solidly
restore checks and balances to our tripartite government for many
decades to come.

--
George Bush's War of Choice on Iraq is a totally unnecessary war.
Every life lost, every limb lost, every disfigurement, every
disability caused there is more blood on George W. Bush's hands,
and on the hands of everyone who voted for George W. Bush.
The more you know, the less likely you were to vote for Bush.
<http://shorterlink.com/?47TBP8>
Feeling a draft? <http://shorterlink.com/?930B5U>
For the facts on Iraq, see <http://optruth.org>.

David Eduardo

Feb 8, 2005, 7:01:48 PM2/8/05

> Blah, blah blah blah BLAH.
>
> The fact is, if Air America had better ratings, they could land a
> blowtorch. But they don't, so that's why they're not on one.

There are no blowtorches available right now in NY. However, markets like
LA, Denver, Portland, Seattle, Miami, Cincy, etc. have true "blowtorch"
signals. More are coming since AA can no be more discriminating in its
station relations.

660, 710, 770, 880, 1010, 1050, and 1130 are the only bolowtorch or
semi-blowtorch signals. All are in the hands of major broadcasters and are
either cash flowing in major proportions or part of a national strategy,
like ESPN. 1190 is probably as good as it will get for AA in NY for some
time.

> The difficulties you speak of that WLS and others had with switching to
> talk formats had much more to do with finding the right talent than
> finding the right format (as you should know). Nobody wanted to hear a
> nobody discussing traffic, weather, and sports all day. It took them that
> long to find the right talent -- and when they did, the results were there
> fairly quickly.

Not true. The stations grew as listeners became accustomed to talk radio as
a first priority, first preference listening choice. In smaller markets, it
still takes a while to make a talker work, even when 100% of the talent is
proven, syndicated material.

I have done a number of local live talkers, in markets ranging from 4
million to over 18 million. In the three recent startups I have done, no
talent was changed over the first 18 to 24 months, but audience gains were
slow until well into the second year. I had the talent... what I did not
have was habit, and that formed as the station proved, in each case, to be
useful to listeners over time.

> For instance, Stern and Limbaugh have gone from zip to number one in
> plenty of markets within one year.

I have worked with the guy who put Stern on in Philly (first market outside
NY) for Mel, and in LA afterwards. It took well into two years for it to
work well. Same with Rush until he was so well known that he got instant
recognition. Other than those two, there are not a lot of talents with the
ready-made star quality to do instant leaps.

> Believe me, Clear Channel, Infinity, or any number of other groups would
> be all over Air America if they thought people were actually going to
> listen -- they're not about ideology, they're about audience numbers and
> demographics.

Clear Channel has about 20 AA affiliates, with more coming.

"Clear Channel Communications is announcing today that its KXTA-AM (1150)
will switch to "progressive talk" on Feb. 3 and carry the network whose
lineup includes comedians Al Franken and Janeane Garofalo, as well as
left-leaning hosts from other syndicates. "We have the Rush Limbaughs and
the Sean Hannitys now, who have moved pretty far to the right. So there's
all this constituency to the left of that," said Gabe Hobbs, vice president
of news, talk and sports programming for Clear Channel, which owns eight
stations locally and more than 1,200 nationwide. "To me, there's a hole big
enough to drive a truck through."

> They make more money when more of the right people listen to their
> stations (or did they forget to print that in An American Radio Trilogy
> Vol. 1?) Well, there's always room for volume 2, isn't there?

Vol. 2 is not the ratings trending part.

And, again, AA has gone to nearly 100 affiliates in its first year. This is
more than Rush did in his first year. And the largest supporter, Clear
Channel, has just committed a $100 million dollar 50,000 watt LA station to
the format, along with other stations in about 20 markets... many with great
signals. In Portland, where AA is on the markets best signal, KPOJ is in a
tie with conservative KEX in 25-54. On equal signals, or in geographic
breaks based on signal parity, AA is very close to conservative talk,
despite not being a mature service.

Bob Haberkost

Feb 8, 2005, 7:11:28 PM2/8/05

| "dxAce" <dx...@eclipsed.com> wrote in message

| > And Air America catching up with Rush... Ain't gonna happen.

| In some markets, where AA has competitive signals, it is happening. The
| margin, especially in 25-54, is close in some places, far off in others.
| Just as Rush has 5 or 6 shares in some places, 2 to 3 shares in others.

| > Failed ideas, failed philosophy, failed candidates (many of whom should
be
| > in jail, (Teddy Kennedy for one, John Kerry for another))

| But it is entertaining radio. Talk radio is about entertainment, not
| content.

Only those who question nothing, fact-check less and want their world the way
it was in 1920 would find this sort of radio entertaining, David. Dare I
call them morons?

> Buy ammo! It'll be over fairly quickly, but always be prepared.

| Huh?

Q.E.D. It would be a compliment to consider some of them even morons,
apparently.
Men born to freedom are naturally alert to repel invasion of their liberty by
evil-minded rulers. The greatest dangers to liberty lurk in insidious
encroachment by men of zeal, well-meaning but without understanding." --
Justice Brandeis
For direct replies, take out the contents between the hyphens. -Really!-

Bob Haberkost

Feb 8, 2005, 7:22:04 PM2/8/05

"Stinger" <con...@newsserveronly.com> wrote in message

| "David Eduardo" <amd...@pacbell.com> wrote in message

| > "Stinger" <con...@newsserveronly.com> wrote in message

| >> LOL!

| >> Learn to do simple arithmetic before trying (in vain) refute
overwhelming
| >> numbers.

| > I have been doing Arbitron analysis for the last 35 years, and make a
| > living with the "simple math" of statistics.

| > Your response shows you know nothing about how radio ratings work.

| And your response shows you don't know the difference between 15 and 2.2.

| Must all liberals resort to condescending tones to pretend that they know a
| deeper truth than the facts right in front of their noses?

David is not a liberal, if you've been paying attention, twit. Or is it
(like most conservative thought processes work) that David must be a liberal
because he disagrees with you?

| For what it's worth, I put myself through college working at radio
stations,
| and I know my way through a book.

You obviously didn't learn anything while you were there. Must have been
sweeping the newsroom floor, would be my guess. You must have worked with
the the writer who did this PR piece you quote, to wit:

"LOS ANGELES, Jan. 12 /PRNewswire/ -- Rush Limbaugh received a great birthday
gift today from his New York City listeners -- Arbitron, the official
monitoring service of broadcast radio, reports that listening Adults 18-49
years old grew more than 50 percent over the last year. As the ratings roll
out nationally from city to city, New York's WABC-AM numbers are out first,
demonstrating the following overall gains for The Rush Limbaugh Show: Adults
18-34 are up 25 percent, Persons 12+ are up 35 percent, and Adults 25-54 are
up 47 percent. (source: Arbitron MSA)"

It's not possible for demographic segments to gain less than 50%, yet in
aggregate grow ":more than 50 percent". Please note, too, that each
demographic segment overlaps the others, so the increase itself is
double-stated.

Message has been deleted

David Eduardo

Feb 8, 2005, 7:33:02 PM2/8/05

"Bob Haberkost" <cbclistener-really!-@canada.com> wrote in message

> "LOS ANGELES, Jan. 12 /PRNewswire/ -- Rush Limbaugh received a great
> birthday
> gift today from his New York City listeners -- Arbitron, the official
> monitoring service of broadcast radio, reports that listening Adults 18-49
> years old grew more than 50 percent over the last year. As the ratings
> roll
> out nationally from city to city, New York's WABC-AM numbers are out
> first,
> demonstrating the following overall gains for The Rush Limbaugh Show:
> Adults
> 18-34 are up 25 percent, Persons 12+ are up 35 percent, and Adults 25-54
> are
> up 47 percent. (source: Arbitron MSA)"
>
> It's not possible for demographic segments to gain less than 50%, yet in
> aggregate grow ":more than 50 percent". Please note, too, that each
> demographic segment overlaps the others, so the increase itself is
> double-stated.

And, talk stations generally do poorly in under-55 demos, so a tiny change
in number of listeners can result in an impressive percentage. Two listeners
is 100% more than one. Air America is looking at far better under-55 growth
in number of listeners than Rush. Both must be subjected to the "election
year" filter before total credibility is given... and the recent elections
were such fine examples of content over form (insert sarcasm smiley here).

Message has been deleted

Frank Provasek

Feb 8, 2005, 8:00:11 PM2/8/05
Also, early nightfall and the end of daylight saving time greatly
hurts the coverage and ratings (especially evening drive time) of
AM stations with marginal facilities during the fall and winter months.

Conversely, "heritage" AM stations with full power, enjoy BETTER coverage
during the fall and winter months due to reduced levels of atmoshpheric
noise.

Stinger" <con...@newsserveronly.com> wrote in message

Message has been deleted

dxAce

Feb 8, 2005, 11:50:08 PM2/8/05

Bob Haberkost wrote:

> "David Eduardo" <amd...@pacbell.com> wrote in message
>
> | "dxAce" <dx...@eclipsed.com> wrote in message
>
> | > And Air America catching up with Rush... Ain't gonna happen.
>
> | In some markets, where AA has competitive signals, it is happening. The
> | margin, especially in 25-54, is close in some places, far off in others.
> | Just as Rush has 5 or 6 shares in some places, 2 to 3 shares in others.
>
> | > Failed ideas, failed philosophy, failed candidates (many of whom should
> be
> | > in jail, (Teddy Kennedy for one, John Kerry for another))
>
> | But it is entertaining radio. Talk radio is about entertainment, not
> | content.
>
> Only those who question nothing, fact-check less and want their world the way
> it was in 1920 would find this sort of radio entertaining, David. Dare I
> call them morons?

I never dare, I'll just come right out and call you a 'tard boy. How's that?

Can I call you a pussy too?

dxAce
Michigan
USA

RHF

Feb 8, 2005, 11:53:12 PM2/8/05
DE,
.
For "True Believers" Rush Limbaugh and many so called
Conservative Talk Radio Hosts are Entertainingand
Informative =Their Daily Dose of Reality / Truth !
.
The same 'potential' Over Time could be said for Air America
for "True Believers" they will be Fulfilled: Being both
Entertained and Informed. Yes - For them Air America will be :
Their Daily Dose of Reality / Truth !.
.
Forget the Idea that Liberals or Conservatives are being
'narrow' Minded by listening to either so called Left-Wing
or Right-Wing Talk Radio.
.
Instead "View" it as an Entertainment Choice; much like
they would choose 'their' Music Station on the Radio
. . . Hey It's Just "Chin Music" without the instruments ;-)
.
open your mind to the possibilities ~ RHF
.
.

David

Feb 9, 2005, 8:55:41 AM2/9/05

On 09 Feb 2005 00:44:25 GMT, "-=jd=-" <jd77...@HATpostmark.net>
wrote:

>On Tue 08 Feb 2005 07:22:04p, "Bob Haberkost"
><cbclistener-really!-@canada.com> wrote in message
>
>> {snippage}

>> David is not a liberal, if you've been paying attention, twit. Or is it
>> (like most conservative thought processes work) that David must be a
>> liberal because he disagrees with you?
>>

>Liberal? Conservative? Misanthrope? Martian? Who cares? It's been
>demonstrated time and again that Rickets is wholly incapable of sustaining a
>point sans benefit of a "Cut & Paste" job of someone else's work. Ergo, he
>hasn't been arbitrarily referred to as "Tard" -- He's *Earned* It!
>Or, perhaps he should be awarded your chosen title of affection, "twit"?
>
>-=jd=-
I suspect authority and am old enough to know that the people in power
tend to lie more than the loyal opposition. That being said, these
people in Washington who claim to be conservative are far from it. I
grew up conservative and hold conservative core beliefs, but I will
align with progressives/liberals right now because they are more
conservative than the socialist neocon corporatists running the
government now.

OK, call me a name...

David

Feb 9, 2005, 8:59:47 AM2/9/05
On Tue, 8 Feb 2005 17:35:40 -0600, "Stinger"
> Believe me, Clear Channel, Infinity, or any
>number of other groups would be all over Air America if they thought people
>were actually going to listen -- they're not about ideology, they're about
>audience numbers and demographics. They make more money when more of the
>right people listen to their stations (or did they forget to print that in
>An American Radio Trilogy Vol. 1?) Well, there's always room for volume 2,
>isn't there?
>
>-- Stinger
1 out of every 4 Clear Channel talk stations will be ''Progressive
Talk'' by the end of the year. It is turning out to be an instant
winner every where they do it. They are totally pleased.

This points out that Americans are hungry for truly balanced
discussion.

David

Feb 9, 2005, 9:03:48 AM2/9/05
NPR is from the middle 1970s. I think you may have them confused with
Pacifica.

On 8 Feb 2005 12:35:22 -0800, "RHF" <rhf-new...@pacbell.net>
wrote:

>* An Audience that has been buying the same Brand of
>Liberal News and Information {TALK} Radio for over 50 Years.
>
>* A Listener Base that is 'conditioned' to PAY (Donate)
>for their Brand of Liberal Radio.
>
>* Plus all those Liberal "Down For The Cause" FREELOADERS: Who Listen
>and NEVER send in a Dime to Support what they
>Claim that they 'believe-in'.
> .
>Lets Give It Up For NPR -Air America's Public Enemy # 1
> .
>something to think about ~ RHF
> .
> .

dxAce

Feb 9, 2005, 10:34:59 AM2/9/05

David wrote:

Well, no matter what, you're still a 'tard boy. That hasn't changed.

Now go take those meds, pick up that Sirius radio and go tote it you frickin
'tard.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Al Dykes

Feb 9, 2005, 11:22:10 AM2/9/05
In article <CHbOd.317$Tn6...@bignews3.bellsouth.net>,

Is 48, including #1 and #2 markets, plus Serius and XM and the largest
realaudio serivice a "very limited number of markets" ?

They seem to be adding a station a month, or better.

BTW; What's with the AM-only ? Is it a strategy ?
--

a d y k e s @ p a n i x . c o m

Don't blame me. I voted for Gore.

Tom Betz

Feb 9, 2005, 11:30:38 AM2/9/05
"David Eduardo" <amd...@pacbell.com> wrote in

> I know that Air America in NY underperforms because the 5 mv/m signal
> barely covers 40% of the market's population.

Now you are asking this poor fool to comprehend the inverse square law.

You're a very demanding member of the reality-based community, David.

--
George Bush's War of Choice on Iraq is a totally unnecessary war.
Every life lost, every limb lost, every disfigurement, every
disability caused there is more blood on George W. Bush's hands,
and on the hands of everyone who voted for George W. Bush.
The more you know, the less likely you were to vote for Bush.
<http://shorterlink.com/?47TBP8>

For the facts on Iraq, see <http://optruth.org>.

I'm not the one who invented reality. Reality invented me.

Tom Betz

Feb 9, 2005, 11:35:35 AM2/9/05
ady...@panix.com (Al Dykes) wrote in news:cuddbi$a27$1...@panix5.panix.com:

> BTW; What's with the AM-only ? Is it a strategy ?

It's probably what's available. There are a whole lot of underperforming
AM stations around.

The Mic 92.1 in Madison, WI is the only FM AAR affiliate I know of. If
what I hear on their their stream is any indication, AAR is only offering a
mono feed, even for their music programming.

RHF

Feb 9, 2005, 2:03:51 PM2/9/05
DE,
.

" as shown by Clear Channel's commitment to a score of AA stations. "
.
Clear Channels 'commitment' in Markets where it owns several Radio
Stations is to offer a diversity of 'targeted' On-the-Air Products
to attract different demographics of that market. {Cover-the-Market}
.
For Clear Channel what goes On-the-Air is about Business and
Profitability: Having little to do with Politics.
.
In the end if it makes Business Sense for Clear Channel to 'move'
Air America to a better Radio Station to capture a 'potential'
Bigger Market Share -or- to Modify the Radio Stations FCC License
and/or Transmitter and Antenna : Then as a matter of Good Business
Clear Channel will act to improve it's bottom-line.
.
follow the money ~ RHF
.
.

David Eduardo

Feb 9, 2005, 2:46:39 PM2/9/05

"RHF" <rhf-new...@pacbell.net> wrote in message

Absolutely. In one trade publication, Clear indicated another 20 stations
are targeted for liberal talk.

Stinger

Feb 9, 2005, 1:27:07 PM2/9/05

"Tom Betz" <spamme...@pobox.com> wrote in message

See, Edidldo, there wasn't enough condescention in your previous post. Betz
wants to show you how to go from being a B-list liberal goofball to full A
liberal twit status!
--- Stinger

Stinger

Feb 9, 2005, 1:23:28 PM2/9/05

"David" <ric...@knac.com> wrote in message
I think "misinformed dumbass" would fit the bill nicely here.

-- Stinger

dxAce

Feb 9, 2005, 4:07:42 PM2/9/05

Stinger wrote:

LOL

That was absolutely excellent.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Brenda Ann

Feb 9, 2005, 4:10:28 PM2/9/05

> NPR is from the middle 1970s. I think you may have them confused with
> Pacifica.

NPR is still alive and well, and even has international outlets now,
including carriage on WorldSpace DBS satellite.

clifto

Feb 9, 2005, 4:11:22 PM2/9/05
Tom Betz wrote:
> Bush is daily solidifying his record as the Worst President Ever,

No, you're just perceiving it that way because of your irrational hatred
of everything right of Josef Stalin.

--

In Memoriam: Julius the cat April 1, 1993 - February 3, 2005

David Eduardo

Feb 9, 2005, 4:12:57 PM2/9/05

"Stinger" <con...@newsserveronly.com> wrote in message

I looked up "condescention" in the dictionary, and it does not have any
definition close to "reality."

If you are going to judge liberal talk, in NY or anywhere, you have to judge
it based on equivalent coverage. If that is too difficult a concept, then
that is your problem.

David Eduardo

Feb 9, 2005, 4:14:02 PM2/9/05

> Stinger wrote:
>
>> See, Edidldo, there wasn't enough condescention in your previous post.
>> Betz
>> wants to show you how to go from being a B-list liberal goofball to full
>> liberal twit status!
>> --- Stinger
>
> LOL
>
> That was absolutely excellent.

Except for the fact that I am somewhere to the right of Attila the Hun, you
may be on to something. Not.

Stinger

Feb 9, 2005, 5:11:08 PM2/9/05

"David Eduardo" <amd...@pacbell.com> wrote in message
Thank you for making my point!

This liberal "condescention"

( FYI: Pronunciation: "kän-di-'sen(t)-sh&n Function: noun Etymology: Late
Latin condescension-, condescensio, from condescendere
1 : patronizing attitude or behavior)

Has no basis in "reality."

-- Stinger

David Eduardo

Feb 9, 2005, 5:32:01 PM2/9/05

> Has no basis in "reality."

What does is the fact that WLIB is doing very well vs. WABC in the areas
where the coverage is usable.

And this is what you are refusing to see.

Stinger

Feb 9, 2005, 5:54:36 PM2/9/05

"David Eduardo" <amd...@pacbell.com> wrote in message

No, I just say it's basically irrelevant. It's like saying some hobbyist
with a low-power FM transmitter has a good following in a 4-block area of
Manhattan, so he's a threat to WABC. He's a flea on an elephant.

And to wrestle this thing back to what we were talking about earlier, I
pointed out that their ratings were stagnant (with some evidence of an
actual fall in listenership). Then you came up with a bunch of irrelevant
gobbledygook trying in vain to explain why that was a good thing. It's like
trying to say the Philadelphia Eagles won the Super Bowl because they played
a good game.

Deal with it.

-- Stinger

David Eduardo

Feb 9, 2005, 6:17:58 PM2/9/05

> "David Eduardo" <amd...@pacbell.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "Stinger" <con...@newsserveronly.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>> Has no basis in "reality."
>>
>> What does is the fact that WLIB is doing very well vs. WABC in the areas
>> where the coverage is usable.
>>
>> And this is what you are refusing to see.
>>

> No, I just say it's basically irrelevant. It's like saying some hobbyist
> with a low-power FM transmitter has a good following in a 4-block area of
> Manhattan, so he's a threat to WABC. He's a flea on an elephant.

You are one dense person. It is very common to compare lesser and greater
signals based on usable coverage. This is why Arbitron issues "embedded
market" reports so that smaller signal stations in distinct parts of a
market can sell effectively in smaller geographies against the larger signal
stations. In fact, no US market has more embeded markets inside it than the
NY MSA.

> And to wrestle this thing back to what we were talking about earlier, I
> pointed out that their ratings were stagnant (with some evidence of an
> actual fall in listenership).

There is no statistical evidence of a fall in listenership. There is
evidence that the listenrship is stable, and not in a growth pattern. when
compared to WABC in 25-54, where the money is, the comparison is good and
very salable.

> Then you came up with a bunch of irrelevant gobbledygook trying in vain
> to explain why that was a good thing.

I came up with the usable signal comparison which is a standard practice in
the industry in evaluating signals.

> It's like trying to say the Philadelphia Eagles won the Super Bowl
> because they played a good game.

Unlike sports, where there is only one winner, in radio there are many
winners. Stations way down in the 1-share range make excellent money. In
fact, the third highest billing station in the market is 18th in ratings
(nearly tied with WLIB) proving that rank alone has nothing to do with
making money.

So, your sports comparison is invalid.

Bob Haberkost

Feb 9, 2005, 6:33:47 PM2/9/05

"David" <ric...@knac.com> wrote in message

| NPR is from the middle 1970s. I think you may have them confused with
| Pacifica.

Why would you assume that RHF has any need to adhere to the truth? If it's
in his gunsight, it's fair game, and no matter that the charges aren't true,
he'll still shoot.
Men born to freedom are naturally alert to repel invasion of their liberty by
evil-minded rulers. The greatest dangers to liberty lurk in insidious
encroachment by men of zeal, well-meaning but without understanding." --
Justice Brandeis
For direct replies, take out the contents between the hyphens. -Really!-

Bob Haberkost

Feb 9, 2005, 6:44:00 PM2/9/05

| "Stinger" <con...@newsserveronly.com> wrote in message

| Unlike sports, where there is only one winner, in radio there are many

| winners. Stations way down in the 1-share range make excellent money. In
| fact, the third highest billing station in the market is 18th in ratings
| (nearly tied with WLIB) proving that rank alone has nothing to do with
| making money.

| So, your sports comparison is invalid.

David - logic doesn't work with this crew (rather my complaint about the new
Right, anyway). The degree of density is overpowering. It might be time to
go silent, and let them argue with themselves (provided they don't think that
this would be too gay).

Bob Haberkost

Feb 9, 2005, 6:44:00 PM2/9/05

| Tom Betz wrote:
| > Bush is daily solidifying his record as the Worst President Ever,

| No, you're just perceiving it that way because of your irrational hatred
| of everything right of Josef Stalin.

| In Memoriam: Julius the cat April 1, 1993 - February 3, 2005

Whatever. Just so you know....I killed your cat.

RHF

Feb 9, 2005, 6:44:27 PM2/9/05
DE,
.
Considering the Market penetration ?saturation? of
Conservative Talk Radio in all major Metro Areas.
Then factoring in the large number of oh-so-bland
Public (NPR) Radio Stations. Plus a Nation Wide
Electorate that is 32% Republican; 32% Democrat
and 36% Independent.
.
Now a Program Format that features Air America's
Talk Radio Hosts with a winning personalities should
be a natural Market Leader in all those Urban Areas
that are surrounded by so called Blue Counties.
.
This could easily lead to having an Air America Radio
Network that has a 'featured' Liberal Talk Radio Station
in everyone of the Top 100 Metro Areas.
.
EXAMPLE :
Look at the SF Bay Area where Music Favorites Format
KABL 960 kHz was shuffled off to an FM Radio Station
as 92.1 MHz KABL with a limited signal.
http://www.kablradio.com/main.html
.
This free up the AM Radio Station License to be renamed
KQKE 960 kHz AM "The Quake" Liberal Talk Radio
with a signal that has good SF Bay Area wide coverage.
http://www.quakeradio.com/main.html
.
time will tell ~ RHF
.
.

Bob Haberkost

Feb 9, 2005, 6:44:00 PM2/9/05

| "dxAce" <dx...@eclipsed.com> wrote in message

| > Stinger wrote:

| >> [...] >
| > LOL

| > That was absolutely excellent.

| Except for the fact that I am somewhere to the right of Attila the Hun, you
| may be on to something. Not.

I'm getting the sense that these two make Bevis and Butthead look attractive,
smart and successful. To say nothing about how goofy the repeated "LOLs"
look...just a couple of twittering asses, so it seems.

David Eduardo

Feb 9, 2005, 6:47:28 PM2/9/05

> "David Eduardo" <amd...@pacbell.com> wrote in message
>
> | "Stinger" <con...@newsserveronly.com> wrote in message
>
> | Unlike sports, where there is only one winner, in radio there are many
> | winners. Stations way down in the 1-share range make excellent money. In
> | fact, the third highest billing station in the market is 18th in ratings
> | (nearly tied with WLIB) proving that rank alone has nothing to do with
> | making money.
>
> | So, your sports comparison is invalid.
>
> David - logic doesn't work with this crew (rather my complaint about the
> new
> Right, anyway). The degree of density is overpowering. It might be time
> go silent, and let them argue with themselves (provided they don't think
> that
> this would be too gay).

Bob... arguing with you is fun, entertaining and educational. It is like
debate in college, forcing you to research even if you do not agree with the
position you must defend. Debating with these "experts" is like trying to
sustain an intelligent conversation on the drive-through intercom at
McDonalds.

Bob Haberkost

Feb 9, 2005, 7:13:45 PM2/9/05

| "Bob Haberkost" <cbclistener-really!-@canada.com> wrote in message

| > David - logic doesn't work with this crew (rather my complaint about the

| > new Right, anyway). The degree of density is overpowering. It might
| > be time to go silent, and let them argue with themselves (provided
| > they don't think that this would be too gay).

| Bob... arguing with you is fun, entertaining and educational. It is like
| debate in college, forcing you to research even if you do not agree with
the
| position you must defend. Debating with these "experts" is like trying to
| sustain an intelligent conversation on the drive-through intercom at
| McDonalds.

Yes, indeed, David...I don't know why you try, although you deserve kudos for
a patience which rivals Job in doing so. But thank you for the compliments,
and most assuredly, even though we often disagree, I have often come away
with a better understanding of the issues at hand after engaging you (or
anyone else of sufficient intellect and integrity). What I fear for the U-S
is that this level of discussion has all but disappeared, whether it's in an
open forum such as this, or in the halls of government.

RHF

Feb 9, 2005, 7:25:39 PM2/9/05
Stinger - Oh Contra . . .
.
A Condescending Attitude's foundation is anchored
in the 'personal' Reality of the person exhibiting one.
.
i think - i thunk ~ RHF
.
.

Message has been deleted

Stinger

Feb 9, 2005, 9:25:03 PM2/9/05

"David Eduardo" <amd...@pacbell.com> wrote in message

Edildo, you're so dense you actually bend light.

2.4 to 2.2 is a DECREASE, period. You can spin all you want, but it doesn't
change that FACT. One book to the next they were at the best, flat, but
probably lost listeners.

-- Stinger

Cooperstown.Net

Feb 9, 2005, 9:25:24 PM2/9/05
In a way, the pro sports metaphor is appropriate. Championship teams on the
field are but a small percentage of the total, and they're not always
profitable. True ROI comes to the teams that are managed well as businesses.

Also, because many teams bid for his services, a player's remuneration is
overwhelmingly determined by individual performance, whether his team wins or
loses.

Jerome

Stinger

Feb 9, 2005, 9:30:04 PM2/9/05

"David Eduardo" <amd...@pacbell.com> wrote in message
Excellent "condescention" -- you had to work at it, Edildo, but you are
right in line for "A-list liberal twit status!" Congratulations!

Simple math: 2.2 < 2.4

Liberal math: 2.2 = Boo hoo! It's not fair!

-- Stinger

-- Stinger

Stinger

Feb 9, 2005, 9:31:01 PM2/9/05

"David Eduardo" <amd...@pacbell.com> wrote in message

There you go, Edildo -- excellent "condescending attitude!" You'll be
promoted to A-list twit in no time!

-- Stinger

David Eduardo

Feb 9, 2005, 9:40:33 PM2/9/05

> 2.4 to 2.2 is a DECREASE, period. You can spin all you want, but it
> doesn't change that FACT. One book to the next they were at the best,
> flat, but probably lost listeners.

2.4 to a 2.2 is not a STATISTICAL decrease. Statistically, using Arbitron's
margin of error formula based on share, diaries and population, a 2.2 and a
2.4 are within margin of error and are, thus, the same number.

There is no way to know, at that level, whether the station gained, lost or
stayed the same.

I have an LA station that has been in the 2.4 to 2.7 range for a year, with
no competitive changes among P2 or P3 stations. We consider it to be flat.
If you look at the individual months, the range is 1.9 to 3.1, which, given
that each month has 1/3 the sample, is also flat. So flatness is a 1.2 share
range.

No matter how you spin it, there is nothing that can be concluded from a 0.2
share difference from book to book.

David Eduardo

Feb 9, 2005, 9:41:36 PM2/9/05

> Simple math: 2.2 < 2.4

Simple statistics: 2.2 = 2.4

> Liberal math: 2.2 = Boo hoo! It's not fair!

I could care less about the content. I am focusing on the numbers, which are
statistically flat.

David Eduardo

Feb 9, 2005, 9:42:33 PM2/9/05

"Stinger" <con...@newsserveronly.com> wrote in message

Until you resign form the group, there are no more vacancies. I can't see
how you can try to make a point based on an untenable premise.

Stinger

Feb 9, 2005, 9:54:05 PM2/9/05

"David Eduardo" <amd...@pacbell.com> wrote in message

Edildo math: 2.2 + (incredible amount of spin) > = 2.4

No way around it.

-- Stinger

David Eduardo

Feb 9, 2005, 10:02:14 PM2/9/05

> Edildo math: 2.2 + (incredible amount of spin) > = 2.4
>
> No way around it.

Next attempt at logic in the manner in which real radio stations and ad
agencies do it:

Go to www.arbitron.com, hit the Radio Stations tab and, under Publications,
download the Description of Methodology, often called the "Purple Book." In
it you will find a description of how to calculate margin of error. You can
do the math yourself, and find that in NY's MSA, the margin of error on a
2.4 is +/- 0.5 share points.

Again, the 2.4 and the 2.2 are identical numbers in a survey of this nature.
No safe conclusion can be made about increasing, decreasing or staying the
same based on these number. In fact, if we look at rating rather than share,
the numbers for WLIB in Summer and Fall are identical.

Stinger

Feb 9, 2005, 10:30:57 PM2/9/05

> "Stinger" <con...@newsserveronly.com> wrote in message
>>

>> Edildo math: 2.2 + (incredible amount of spin) > = 2.4
>>
>> No way around it.
>
> Next attempt at logic in the manner in which real radio stations and ad
> agencies do it:
>
> <<<Snippage>>>.

> Again, the 2.4 and the 2.2 are identical numbers in a survey of this
> nature. No safe conclusion can be made about increasing, decreasing or
> staying the same based on these number. In fact, if we look at rating
> rather than share, the numbers for WLIB in Summer and Fall are identical.

Exactly. Their numbers are so small that margin for error makes their
entire rating statistically insignificant.

Gee, who mentioned this before?

-- Stinger

Telamon

Feb 9, 2005, 11:39:49 PM2/9/05
In article <AQuOd.14$mu6...@bignews5.bellsouth.net>,
"Stinger" <con...@newsserveronly.com> wrote:

> "David" <ric...@knac.com> wrote in message

> > On 09 Feb 2005 00:44:25 GMT, "-=jd=-" <jd77...@HATpostmark.net>
> > wrote:
> >
> >>On Tue 08 Feb 2005 07:22:04p, "Bob Haberkost"
> >><cbclistener-really!-@canada.com> wrote in message

> >>Liberal? Conservative? Misanthrope? Martian? Who cares? It's been
> >>demonstrated time and again that Rickets is wholly incapable of sustaining
> >>point sans benefit of a "Cut & Paste" job of someone else's work. Ergo, he
> >>hasn't been arbitrarily referred to as "Tard" -- He's *Earned* It!
> >>Or, perhaps he should be awarded your chosen title of affection, "twit"?
> >>
> >>-=jd=-
> > I suspect authority and am old enough to know that the people in power
> > tend to lie more than the loyal opposition. That being said, these
> > people in Washington who claim to be conservative are far from it. I
> > grew up conservative and hold conservative core beliefs, but I will
> > align with progressives/liberals right now because they are more
> > conservative than the socialist neocon corporatists running the
> > government now.
> >
> > OK, call me a name...
> >
> I think "misinformed dumbass" would fit the bill nicely here.

"Troll" fits better.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California

Telamon

Feb 9, 2005, 11:41:45 PM2/9/05
In article <Xns95F8751776016g...@166.84.1.70>,
Tom Betz <spamme...@pobox.com> wrote:

> "David Eduardo" <amd...@pacbell.com> wrote in

> > I know that Air America in NY underperforms because the 5 mv/m signal
> > barely covers 40% of the market's population.
>
> Now you are asking this poor fool to comprehend the inverse square law.
>
> You're a very demanding member of the reality-based community, David.

Who cares what a talking ass says.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California

Telamon

Feb 9, 2005, 11:52:10 PM2/9/05
In article <kixOd.3387$aW6....@newssvr22.news.prodigy.net>,
"David Eduardo" <amd...@pacbell.com> wrote:

I'm not interested in arguing on Usenet, which is why Bob Haberkost is
in the kill file so you stepped in the dog poop twice in one paragraph
by referring to a Troll as someone to read and expressed condescension
after the fact of engaging in an argument.

This isn't a place to argue, it's a place to post news. If you can't or
don't want to do that then get lost. Keep this crap up and you are in
the kill file with Bob.

I used to have more respect for you before reading this thread.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California

It is loading more messages.