Gluttony

The Sanity Inspector

Jun 5, 2003, 12:41:31 PM6/5/03
Food is a problem for us. ...too many of us still have too little food
choice, but the majority of us have too much of it. We are a nation of
gluttons. Food sophisticates tend to look down their noses at people
who snarf down anything that won't bite them back, but a glutton,
traditionally, is someone who eats too "delicately" as much as someone
who eats too much. You, with the no-cal tofu mayonnaise, wheatgrass
shake and megavitamin doses, you're as much of a glutton as Buddy over
there with the 62 oz. pop.
-- "It's just a banana: Food is a nexus of neuroses, childhood traumas
and changing norms", Toronto Star,
http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=thestar/Layout/Article_Type1&c=Article&cid=1052251709156&call_pageid=1011789353817&col=1011789353403

--
bruce
The dignified don't even enter in the game.

Ed Kranz

Jun 5, 2003, 3:31:44 PM6/5/03

"The Sanity Inspector" <syna...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Glutton
1. a. One who eats to excess, or who takes pleasure in immoderate eating; a
gormandizer.
from the OED

Ed

dougk

Jun 5, 2003, 3:55:26 PM6/5/03
I am not a glutton - I am an explorer of food.
--Erma Bombeck

Will somebody please tell me what's the matter with McDonald's? It's
not like the Europeans don't line up by the millions to eat there.
Maybe McDonald's food isn't the best thing for you, but roasted goose
liver smooshed up with truffles isn't either. And has anyone ever
smoked a joint and had a "pate' de foie gras" attack?
--P.J. O'Rourke

Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let
the food fight it out inside.
--Mark Twain

The only time to eat diet food is while you're waiting for the steak to
cook.
--Julia Child

Daniel P. B. Smith

Jun 5, 2003, 7:44:58 PM6/5/03
The contemptuous way in which you spoke of gluttony as a
means of catching souls, in your last letter, only shows
your ignorance. One of the great, achievements of the last
hundred years has been to deaden the human conscience on
that subject, so that by now you will hardly find a sermon
preached or a conscience troubled about it in the whole
length and breadth of Europe. This has largely been effected
by concentrating all our efforts on gluttony of Delicacy,
not gluttony of Excess. Your patient's mother, as I learn
from the dossier and you might have learned from Glubose, is
a good example. She would be astonished--one day, I hope,
will be--to learn that her whole life is enslaved to this
kind of sensuality, which is quite concealed from her by the
fact that the quantities involved are small. But what do
quantities matter, provided we can use a human belly and
palate to produce querulousness, impatience,
uncharitableness, and self-concern? Glubose has this old
woman well in hand. She is a positive terror to hostesses
and servants. She is always turning from what has been
offered her to say with a demure little sign and a smile "Oh
please, please...all I want is a cup of tea, weak but not
too weak, and the teeniest weeniest bit of really crisp
toast". You see? Because what she wants is smaller and less
costly than what has been set before her, she never
recognises as gluttony her determination to get what she
wants, however troublesome it may be to others. At the very
moment of indulging her appetite she believes that she is
practising temperance. In a crowded restaurant she gives a
little scream at the plate which some overworked waitress
has set before her and says, "Oh, that's far, far too much!
Take it away and bring me about a quarter of it". If
challenged, she would say she was doing this to avoid waste;
in reality she does it because the particular shade of
delicacy to which we have enslaved her is offended by the
sight of more food than she happens to want.

--C. S. Lewis, _The Screwtape Letters_

--
dpbsmith at world dot std dot com
(replace "at" with at-sign and "dot" with period and remove spaces)

Winsome P.E. Jones

Jun 5, 2003, 9:24:09 PM6/5/03

"dougk" wrote in message

> The only time to eat diet food is while you're waiting for the
steak to
> cook.
> --Julia Child

ø _ø ø_ø ø_ø

I was raised on pork, and believe me, I'm healthy
~Tina Turner

Winsome P.E. Jones

ø _ø ø_ø ø_ø