Money

The Sanity Inspector

Dec 29, 2006, 5:15:13 PM12/29/06
Money frees you from doing things you dislike. Since I dislike
doing nearly everything, money is handy.
-- Groucho Marx

--
bruce
The dignified don't even enter in the game.

http://tinyurl.com/4sarw | http://www.cafepress.com/notdifficult
http://postingwillbelight.blogspot.com
http://atlantarofters.blogspot.com
http://is-3.blogspot.com

~~seadancer~~

Dec 31, 2006, 3:03:09 AM12/31/06
"The Sanity Inspector" <syna...@THETRASHhotmail.com> wrote

> Money frees you from doing things you dislike. Since I dislike
> doing nearly everything, money is handy.
> -- Groucho Marx
> bruce

"To suppose, as we all suppose, that we could be rich and
not behave as the rich behave, is like supposing that we
could drink all day and keep absolutely sober."
-Logan Pearsall Smith

"Old money whispers, new money shouts... nervous money,
bad-taste money, chip-on-the-shoulder money."
-p. 96 "The Robber Bride" by Margaret Atwood, 1993, pocketbook edition

"Give me the strength to change the things I can, the grace to
accept the things I cannot, and a great big bag of money."
-Unknown, 13-year-old

"Always remember, money isn't everything -- but also remember
to make a lot of it before talking such fool nonsense."
-Earl Wilson (1907 - 1987) US newspaper columnist

---Sea

John Bonanno

Dec 31, 2006, 9:41:51 AM12/31/06

"~~seadancer~~" wrote
> "The Sanity Inspector" wrote

"Men no longer aspire to win praise for noble deeds,
but think only of profit, profit, profit.
Clutching their coinbags, always looking for more,
too stingy to give away the tarnish that comes off their coins!" Theocritus
XVI idyll [found in Steven Saylor's story "Archimedes Tomb"]

"The praise once sought for noble acts is sought no more; pelf reigns
conqueror of every heart; and every man looks hand in pocket where he may
get him silver; nay, he would not give another so much as the off-scrapings
of the rust of it, but straightway cries "Charity begins at home.1[1."Charity
begins at home" : in the Greek 'the knee lies nearer the shin.']
What comes thereout for me? 'Tis the Gods that honour poets. Who would hear
yet another? Homer is enough for all. Him rank I best of poets, who of me
shall get nothing.""-J.M. Edmonds translation of above

"I thought once how Theocritus had sung
Of the sweet years, the dear and wished-for years,
Who each one in a gracious hand appears
To bear a gift for mortals, old or young:
And, as I mused it in his antique tongue,
I saw, in gradual vision through my tears,
The sweet, sad years, the melancholy years,
Those of my own life, who by turns had flung
A shadow across me."-Elizabeth Barrett Browning, Sonnets from the Portuguese

SteveMR200

Jan 1, 2007, 8:00:06 PM1/1/07
On Sun, 31 Dec 2006 03:03:09 -0500, ~~seadancer~~ wrote in message:
<en7qu0$ks8$1...@news.datemas.de>:

>"To suppose, as we all suppose, that we could be rich and
> not behave as the rich behave, is like supposing that we
> could drink all day and keep absolutely sober."
> -Logan Pearsall Smith

My girlfriend's run off with my car
And gone back to her ma and pa
Tellin' tales of drunkenness and cruelty

Now I'm sitting here
Sippin' at my ice-cold beer
Lazin' on a sunny afternoon

Help me, help me, help me sail away
Or give me two good reasons why I oughta stay
'Cause I love to live so pleasantly
Live this life of luxury
Lazin' on a sunny afternoon
In the summertime
--The Kinks
_Sunny Afternoon_ [1966] (song)

--
Steve

~~seadancer~~

Jan 10, 2007, 5:21:10 PM1/10/07
"SteveMR200" <Steve...@aol.com> wrote

> On Sun, 31 Dec 2006 03:03:09 -0500, ~~seadancer~~ wrote
>>"To suppose, as we all suppose, that we could be rich and
>> not behave as the rich behave, is like supposing that we
>> could drink all day and keep absolutely sober."
>> -Logan Pearsall Smith
>
> My girlfriend's run off with my car
> And gone back to her ma and pa
> Tellin' tales of drunkenness and cruelty
>
> Now I'm sitting here
> Sippin' at my ice-cold beer
> Lazin' on a sunny afternoon
>
> Help me, help me, help me sail away
> Or give me two good reasons why I oughta stay
> 'Cause I love to live so pleasantly
> Live this life of luxury
> Lazin' on a sunny afternoon
> In the summertime
> --The Kinks
> _Sunny Afternoon_ [1966] (song)
> Steve

Lazy bones, sleepin' in the sun
How you 'spect to get your day's work done?
Never get your day's work done
Sleepin' in the noonday sun

Lazy bones, sleepin' in the shade
How you 'spect to get your corn meal made?
Never get your corn meal made
Sleepin' in the evening shade

When taters need sprayin'
I bet you keep prayin'
Worms fall off of the vine
And when you go fishin'
I bet you'll be wishin'
Fish would jump on the line

Lazy bones, dozin' through the day
How you 'spect to make a dime that way?
Never make a dime that way
Never heard a word I say

Lyrics & music by Hoagy Carmichael

"If you can't be happy where you are, it's a cinch you can't
be happy where you ain't." -Charles "Tremendous" Jones

---Sea