My Weekend...

LaManna

Jun 24, 2001, 7:55:09 PM6/24/01

...so my girlfriend and her roommate/my soon-to-be-roommate decide to
come down to Seattle on Friday...we pass on Holly GoLightly/Woggles
and go to the Monkey w/some friends and drink some swill (Miller is
the shittiest "cheap" beer, other than Coors and Keystone)...Saturday
night, we go get some Mexican and proceed to the S(h)it and Spin for
the Briefs/Razorbabes/New Town Animals/Intelligence show...upon
arrival, le girlfriend realizes she has left her ID back at my house
(a 1 1/2 hour roundtrip on the Metro), so I actually turn into an
Alpha male and make some decisions:

1. We are seeing this friggin' show.

2. We are not taking Metro to get the ID.

I ask a few friends if they can drive us up to the U-District and
fetch the ID...while doing this, Lars from the
Intelligence/A-Frames/Diapers comes up, gives me a hug, and informs me
I'm on the guest list...I thank him profusely, but tell him that I
have to run back to the Casa De LaManna...he informs me that his band
is going on in five minutes and I tell him to take me off the guest
list, but like a true gentleman, he refuses...so a friend of a friend
agrees to haul our sorry asses back north, provided we don't miss the
New Town Animals...I agree, give hims some bucks for gas, and we're
off...on the ride over, his stereo is playing 999's "Greatest Tour In
Sport" EP and we both agree this may be the best 999 on vinyl (their
best song is "Waiting," though)...sure enough, the ID is where the Mrs
thought she left it...we high-tail it back to the club seconds after
the Intelligence have finished...my buddy Jed and I both bitch about
the fact that the club put the Intelligence on so early...me and the
ladies procure some alcoholic flavored beverages and wait for the New
Town Animals...both of my gal friends, being from Vancouver, have seen
the Animals a bit, so they don't seemed too enthused, but I'm eager to
see a new band...they come on and I like them a lot...kinda like a
cross between the Dickies, Undertones, Damned, and Toy Dolls...the
singer even wears a white tux jacket like I used to...my only gripes
are that they play a bit too long and they cover "Civilization's
Dying" by the Zero Boys (great song that I've heard way too many
covers of -- please opt for something off the "Living In the 80's"
EP)...regardless, they're still kick ass...I drink more and the
Razorbabes start...been a while since I saw them...they're an all-gal
Metal-Punk band (heard they're doing a record on Nikki Sixx's
label)...since I last saw them they've pared down to a 4 piece, but
they sound tighter and meaner...their guitar player is fucking great
-- she can switch from Slayer riffs to Gang Green with no
effort...they cover the Runaways ("Cherry Bomb") and the Ramones
("We're A Happy Family" -- good choice)...my friends like them quite a
bit...after a short while (and more whiskey and beer), the Briefs come
on to a packed house...this is their first hometown show since they
signed to Interscope...they play nearly everything off the LP and
some newer stuff...the crowd is very entusiastic, and I actually find
myself attempting to pogo to "Knife," much to my gal's
ammusement...they finish and come back for an encore -- which many of
us figured would be their Weirdos' cover...they bust into a 20 second
version of their Dalai Lama/Dolly Parton song and that's it -- a bunch
of us agree it was a very clever ending...after realizing we've missed
the last bus, me and the Canuck gals decide to booze it up 'til last
call...while sipping a Bud, I feel everything start to go horribly
wrong, excuse myself, make it to a bathroom stall and lose my
cookies...I return feeling very spring fresh and resume drinking...as
we're leaving, Dan from the Briefs stops me and we talk for a bit...I
congratulate him on the Interscope deal and he seems genuinely humble
about the whole situation...me and the gals cab it home...they went
back north today...I'm debating if I should go see the Spits at the
Gibson tonight (word from the horse's mouth is that this may be their
last Seattle show ever)...and that's been my weekend (abridged)...

LaManna

dawrench

Jun 25, 2001, 2:32:40 AM6/25/01
nough...@hotmail.com (LaManna) wrote in message news:<3b3671f4...@news.speakeasy.net>...

> of us agree it was a very clever ending...after realizing we've missed
> the last bus, me and the Canuck gals decide to booze it up 'til last
> call...while sipping a Bud, I feel everything start to go horribly

hey lamanna, the last bus is at 3:30am. ya gotta learn about the f'n night
owl service. ooooh yeah. 2:15a and 3:30a on 4th ave.

> back north today...I'm debating if I should go see the Spits at the
> Gibson tonight (word from the horse's mouth is that this may be their
> last Seattle show ever)...and that's been my weekend (abridged)...

hahaha. last spits show ever. isn't that their new gimmick?
and why the hell would they wanna move their band to kalamazoo?

I wish interscope had signed the spits.

owen

D-Kline

Jun 25, 2001, 6:51:30 AM6/25/01
>bit...after a short while (and more whiskey and beer), the Briefs come
>on to a packed house...this is their first hometown show since they
>signed to Interscope...they play nearly everything off the LP and
>some newer stuff...the crowd is very entusiastic, and I actually find

I HATE Interscope. Most labels are sleazy, but
they are the worst (sleaziest.)

Still, congrats to the Briefs.

I HATE Interscope.

Stu Miller

Jun 25, 2001, 7:20:31 AM6/25/01
>I wish interscope had signed the spits.

I wish Interscope had signed the Trots.

Stu Miller
"I've tried to be a great guitar player and, like Chuck Berry, I have failed."
- Keith Richards

LaManna

Jun 25, 2001, 2:03:32 PM6/25/01
On 24 Jun 2001 23:32:40 -0700, ow...@speakeasy.org (dawrench) wrote:

>nough...@hotmail.com (LaManna) wrote in message news:<3b3671f4...@news.speakeasy.net>...
>
>> of us agree it was a very clever ending...after realizing we've missed
>> the last bus, me and the Canuck gals decide to booze it up 'til last
>> call...while sipping a Bud, I feel everything start to go horribly
>
>hey lamanna, the last bus is at 3:30am. ya gotta learn about the f'n night
>owl service. ooooh yeah. 2:15a and 3:30a on 4th ave.

No, you're right...I always forget that there is one bus on 4th...

>> back north today...I'm debating if I should go see the Spits at the
>> Gibson tonight (word from the horse's mouth is that this may be their
>> last Seattle show ever)...and that's been my weekend (abridged)...
>
>hahaha. last spits show ever. isn't that their new gimmick?
>and why the hell would they wanna move their band to kalamazoo?

I ended up not going, because neither Gomer or Scott were convinced it
would be the real "Last Spits' Show In Seattle," and I had no desire
to go alone...it does seem like they keep milking the last show
shtick...

And Kalamazoo?!?!

>I wish interscope had signed the spits.

Yeah...and as Stu said, the Trots as well...

>owen

LaManna

saturday disaster

Jun 25, 2001, 5:49:27 PM6/25/01

Friday: Groused for a bit about how the new MRR was nowhere to be found in
this podunk lil' town, screwing up both Fyodor and I's sense of how The
World Works. Pondered driving to Ann Arbor to procure one, along with some
Golden oldies Wrasttlin' videos for research purposes. Decided instead, to
venture bravely into the bowels of Toledo, where we blew a lot of money at
a Suncoast store in a mall (Best in Show DVD for 18 bux!!! Old Italian
horror movies
on DVD for 6 bucks!!! Day of the dead for 6 bucks!) Drooled over original
comic art that some old man was trying to sell, but left it at the mall as
both of us were getting teetery from hunger. JOE AND DOLLY'S SUPPER CLUB,
housed in a genuine red barn beckoned us to come hither with its
hypnotizing neon sign that promised us COCKTAILS AND LIQUOR! Turns out
they could not only make a good martini, but they also served Pabst Blue
Ribbon. Had dinner in the dining room where we were thr youngest folks by
far. Enjoyed some rather fresh salmon and yellow perch, fresh baked bread,
mashed potatoes, veggies, and our liquor. Got one fer the road, too.

Came back to BG and went toa benefit show for the "Underground publishing
con". We missed the real bands and haddta sit through some lame
experimental DJ, and drink Bud. Stayed 'till some guy got on top of a
table and yelled at us to leave. Came home and went to sleep at like 5 AM.

Saturday: We were gonna go to the panels at the Underground Publishing
Con., but slept 'till 2. Went down to the con. and looked around, and
neither of us were too impressed. The place was loaded with stinky hippies
playing hackey sack. We got the new Heartattack and went to breakfast,
then tried to work on our schoolwork.
Sunday: slept through the con. panels we were interested in, but went down
to the con. to give it one more chance. Met the guy who runs GO METRIC!
fanzine, and he was super nice! Traded about 10 issues of our 'zine and
then got out of there quick, lest they find our anti-hippie writings to be
angering. Tracked down some yummy soap and sammiches at the new bakery,
and then pretended to do work. Talked to our respective parental units fpr
about an hour apiece, and I went out looking for old episodes of Walt
Disney Tv shows.

stacey
sta...@prairienet.org

saturday disaster

Jun 25, 2001, 5:54:26 PM6/25/01
On Mon, 25 Jun 2001, saturday disaster wrote:

> angering. Tracked down some yummy soap and sammiches at the new bakery,

oops! Soup, rather. My soap IS rather yummy though..buttermilk
scent!

stacey
sta...@prairienet.org