Discreet Border Crossing

Antipodean Bucket Farmer

Feb 13, 2005, 3:31:50 AM2/13/05
Hi Everybody,

Here is a scenario...

Born-citizen American. Has passport and other
gubmint/official documents.

Caucasian, with generic American speech/accent.

Zero criminal record, and low-profile, so UNlikely to
be on any major shit-lists.

Carrying only legal, legit physical stuff. The worst
things might be encrypted data CDs.

So this person decides to cross the USA border without
grovelling for permission, or submitting to search,
documentation, and listing in some gubmint database.

What sort of problems need to be overcome?

The initial idea is that they could arrive in Canada
(better?) or Mexico (worse?), and then go on foot
through the wilderness. Subject would be alone, in
good health/fitness, with basic knowledge, equipment
and preps for the journey. Should take less than one
day.

Sometime later, the journey is reversed, with subject
taking some transport out of Canada/Mexico, without any
official admission/documentation of the USA jaunt.

Read closely: NOTHING illegal or nefarious going on.
Just somebody who doesn't like Uncle Shrub looking over
their shoulder, and the "permission," and, "Papers,
Please," vibe.

What could wrong?

Is there actually anything illegal about the above
scenario? Is there some US federal law demanding that
legal citizens arrive through documented checkpoints?
Citations?

What if this hypothetical person gets caught? How
would they diffuse the suspicion?

Just, uh, purely hypothetically speaking, doncha
know...

Thanks...

--
Get Credit Where Credit Is Due
http://www.cardreport.com/

Nick Hull

Feb 13, 2005, 8:08:37 AM2/13/05
In article <MPG.1c78b051e...@news.xtra.co.nz>,

Antipodean Bucket Farmer <usene...@THE-DOMAIN-IN.SIG> wrote:

> Read closely: NOTHING illegal or nefarious going on.
> Just somebody who doesn't like Uncle Shrub looking over
> their shoulder, and the "permission," and, "Papers,
> Please," vibe.
>
> What could wrong?
>
> Is there actually anything illegal about the above
> scenario? Is there some US federal law demanding that
> legal citizens arrive through documented checkpoints?
> Citations?
>
> What if this hypothetical person gets caught? How
> would they diffuse the suspicion?

There would be a lot illegal for anyone caught not giving proper
deference to their masters. Such a person would be found to be carrying
illegal drugs, guns, and papers from AlQueda etc. At least some of the
charges would stick.

--
Free men own guns, slaves don't
www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/5357/

North

Feb 13, 2005, 8:40:03 AM2/13/05

The way I understand it, is yes it's perfectly legal as far as the
U.S. is concerned. However, you would be an illeagal alien in the host
country. Something in the Consitution that grants citizens the right
to free and unrestricted traval. I may have it wrong. But nontheless,
If I want to traval, I'll do it the way you descibe above, fuck the
Government to death.

n.

EskW...@spamblock.panix.com

Feb 13, 2005, 10:22:13 AM2/13/05
In misc.survivalism Antipodean Bucket Farmer <usene...@the-domain-in.sig> wrote:

> So this person decides to cross the USA border without
> grovelling for permission, or submitting to search,
> documentation, and listing in some gubmint database.

> What sort of problems need to be overcome?

Getting caught?

> The initial idea is that they could arrive in Canada
> (better?) or Mexico (worse?), and then go on foot
> through the wilderness. Subject would be alone, in
> good health/fitness, with basic knowledge, equipment
> and preps for the journey. Should take less than one
> day.

Or else, they can just drive down one of the many roads that have no
customs service.

> Read closely: NOTHING illegal or nefarious going on.

I'm not so sure about the "nothing illegal" part. When I've driven from
Canada into the US on dirt roads, there has always been a sign at the
border instructing you to go to the nearest border checkpoint, with some
kind of statutory reference cited. Once I even saw a tractor trailer
stopped by a state boy when he turned left at the main road, instead of
taking a right to proceed in the direction of the customs house.

Back then, it used to be a pretty lax situation. I haven't been through
lately.

> Is there actually anything illegal about the above
> scenario? Is there some US federal law demanding that
> legal citizens arrive through documented checkpoints?

If the unguarded dirt roads are any reference, one need not arrive
through such checkpoints, but upon arrival, one must proceed to such a
checkpoint.

> Citations?

Sorry.

> What if this hypothetical person gets caught? How
> would they diffuse the suspicion?

By telling the INS that they are proceeding to a checkpoint. Unless, of
course, this person is sneaking through the woods in full survivalist
gear, instead of just driving down a dirt road through the woods which
happens to cross the border.

--
In the councils of government, we must guard against the
acquisition of unwarranted influence, whether sought or unsought,

The Dolly Llama

Feb 13, 2005, 1:56:30 PM2/13/05
I am anglo, and have crossed between U.S. and Mexico many times. Twice,
the U.S. border police called me to the side, and searched the car, and
kept asking my friend and I weird and redundant questions. On one
occasion, they brought the sniffing dog into the truck. There is another
checkpoint a few miles into the U.S., but they have never done more than
waive us on through. Of course, I haven't been back through the border
since 9/11, so things may have changed.

The thing that gets me is that there are so many Mexican illegal aliens in
the U.S. (estimated 10,000 in San Antonio alone), that it can't be that
hard to get in. It's worth mentioning that the Border Patrol has infared
cameras and balloons looking for people crossing without going through the
checkpoint.

-=-
This message was sent via two or more anonymous remailing services.

Dr Floyde

Feb 13, 2005, 2:40:02 PM2/13/05

"Antipodean Bucket Farmer" <usene...@THE-DOMAIN-IN.SIG> wrote in message

> Hi Everybody,
>
> Here is a scenario...
>
> Born-citizen American. Has passport and other
> gubmint/official documents.
>
> Caucasian, with generic American speech/accent.
>
> Zero criminal record, and low-profile, so UNlikely to
> be on any major shit-lists.
>
> Carrying only legal, legit physical stuff. The worst
> things might be encrypted data CDs.
>
> So this person decides to cross the USA border without
> grovelling for permission, or submitting to search,
> documentation, and listing in some gubmint database.
>
> What sort of problems need to be overcome?

Question is why you want to do that, just cross, let them inspect, you have
nothing to hide, right?

> The initial idea is that they could arrive in Canada
> (better?) or Mexico (worse?), and then go on foot
> through the wilderness. Subject would be alone, in
> good health/fitness, with basic knowledge, equipment
> and preps for the journey. Should take less than one
> day.

yea you could do that, but they have inspection points at key roads away
from the border, ALL vehicles are stopped and searched, and IR sensers.
If they get you, you are in trouble bigtime, classified as terriorist, as
you cannot answer the question, Why did you sneak across the border?

> Sometime later, the journey is reversed, with subject
> taking some transport out of Canada/Mexico, without any
> official admission/documentation of the USA jaunt.

same as above, especially into Mexico, if Cops get you, they ransom you till
one of your in-laws pay.
The drug runners get you they may cut out your spine. (yes they did that to
a Texas collage student)

> Read closely: NOTHING illegal or nefarious going on.
> Just somebody who doesn't like Uncle Shrub looking over
> their shoulder, and the "permission," and, "Papers,
> Please," vibe.
>
> What could wrong?

You get caught.

> Is there actually anything illegal about the above
> scenario?

Yes.

>Is there some US federal law demanding that
> legal citizens arrive through documented checkpoints?

Yes.

> Citations?

You go look it up, dork.

> What if this hypothetical person gets caught? How
> would they diffuse the suspicion?

You cannot, they are experts, you get caught, you stay in small jail out of
view for a few weeks, while they check you out, no calls to lawyers, either.

> Just, uh, purely hypothetically speaking, doncha
> know...
>
> Thanks...

Why you want to leave New Zealand and sneak into America?
Got Warrents out on you for non-payment of child support on you, betcha,
betcha !

North

Feb 13, 2005, 3:08:57 PM2/13/05
On Sun, 13 Feb 2005 13:40:02 -0600, "Dr Floyde" <nos...@invalid.com>