Second Coming Weather!

Garry J. Vass

Apr 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/4/00
Greets to the apihnas!

Dropping by in apihna to have a lookie!

Is this a proper British ng? I ask because it's so goddam cold in
London right now that a proper gent can't even describe it. After
rooting around for a few days 'Second Coming Weather' is the only thing
I can think of.

But what I wanted to ask about in terms of the English language is
beautiful words...

Beautiful words like 'goldenrod', 'sunset', 'halcyon', and 'moonbeam'...
Aren't they beautiful?

I recently asked a colleague what he thought was a beautiful word and he
said, 'meconium'. This sounds lovely, a verdant, yet solid ring to it.
But it has a terrible definition. I should think 'Heligan' would be up
on the list.

What are the most beautiful words in the English language?

Kind regards,
--
Garry J. Vass

Polgara The Sorceress

Apr 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/4/00
"Garry J. Vass" wrote:

> Greets to the apihnas!

Greetings and Salutations in return!

> Dropping by in apihna to have a lookie!

I'm not showing anything right now! Not even my most impressive its! :-)
Ok, who's been advertising about my feats of saucery and sorcery again...
Fess up and it'll go easy for you.

> Is this a proper British ng?

Considering some of the most recent submissions by a Certain Regular of The
Arms (not naming any names, Graybags), I'll have to reserve judgement and
say a non-commital "No comment!"

decent, thorough and good-looking bunch and we are indeed a newsgroup found
on Usenet. We are not strictly British, however. Many nations are
represented here in apihna; it's a sure sign of its diversity.

> [snip]

> What are the most beautiful words in the English language?

<sigh> The words "free" and "sale"... :-)

The most beautiful composition in the English language is a finely crafted
it's/its sentence, which is seconded only by an equally lovely to/too/two
sentence. :-)

--

Smilies!

Laury :->

Friendship is one mind in two bodies.
-- Menclus

Polgara The Sorceress

Apr 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/4/00
John Flynn wrote:

> Polgara The Sorceress wrote, in part:

> > The most beautiful composition in the English language is a finely
> > crafted it's/its sentence, which is seconded only by an equally
> > lovely to/too/two sentence. :-)
>

> The sentence:
>
> "You're so lucky that the people of yore are your ancestors."
>
> has a certain beauty, too.

Ah, it touches this genealogist's heart, it does. :-) Methinks it might
be my sig line for my genealogy work! Credit fully to Mr. John Flynn,
Sunderland, England. :-)

> (I didn't DARE add the word "yaw" since I have the feeling that USians
> and Canadarians pronounce it differently; I could be wrong though,
> since I haven't got one of those creatures here with me to test out my
> theories.)

Oooo! Pick me, pick ME! Umm, that didn't come out quite right...

How about: you CAN count porridge! Um, nope. Or: Which is heavier, a
pound of bricks or a pound of feathers? Hmn. Missed again. Rats! How's
this:

My Gage Canadian Dictionary (the Supplemental to The Apihna Bible???) gives
the pronunciation of "yaw" (since I had to go scurrying for the dictionary
to look the wretched word up, thanks-ever-so-much-John) as more or less
rhyming with "paw." That same book indicates that "you're" and "your"
can be pronounced "yoor" or with a schwa, however, I tend to pronounce both
to rhyme with "oar." "Yore" is given to rhyme with "yaw" but with an "r"
sound at the end. And just to be difficult, *I* would pronounce "yore" to
rhyme with "your" and "you're." So, to make things as clear as mud,
"you're", "your" and "yore" would rhyme for me, but not "yaw."

B-u-t the stickler is if the UKites or the USians pronounce any of the
rhyming words differently than I do, we're up the proverbial creek without
an oar. And therefore probably yawing all over the place. :-)

John Flynn

Apr 5, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/5/00
"Garry J. Vass" wrote:

> Greets to the apihnas!
>

> Dropping by in apihna to have a lookie!
>

> Is this a proper British ng?

Far from it, sir! A lot of the interest (I find, anyway) arises
because of the differences between all the various speakers of English
that pop into The Apihna Arms for a swift pint or two.

> I ask because it's so goddam cold in London right now that a proper
> gent can't even describe it. After rooting around for a few days
> 'Second Coming Weather' is the only thing I can think of.
>
> But what I wanted to ask about in terms of the English language is
> beautiful words...
>
> Beautiful words like 'goldenrod', 'sunset', 'halcyon', and
> 'moonbeam'...
> Aren't they beautiful?
>
> I recently asked a colleague what he thought was a beautiful word and
> he said, 'meconium'. This sounds lovely, a verdant, yet solid ring
> to it. But it has a terrible definition.

Urgh! A new word to me, and I'm not sure if I should thank you or not
for bringing it my attention.

> I should think 'Heligan' would be up on the list.
>

> What are the most beautiful words in the English language?

It's been asked before -- just recently, actually -- but I'll repeat
my most favourite English word. Omelette. It's got a beautiful
combination of rounded and short vowels, and a nice contrast between
the smooth "mmm" sound and the sharper "tt" sound.

Oh, and they taste nice, too.

--
johnF

"Trochee, I think. Don't quote me on that."
-- APIHNA, Ben Wolfson, 6 Jan 2000

John Flynn

Apr 5, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/5/00
Polgara The Sorceress wrote, in part:

> The most beautiful composition in the English language is a finely
> crafted it's/its sentence, which is seconded only by an equally
> lovely to/too/two sentence. :-)

The sentence:

"You're so lucky that the people of yore are your ancestors."

has a certain beauty, too.

(I didn't DARE add the word "yaw" since I have the feeling that USians

and Canadarians pronounce it differently; I could be wrong though,
since I haven't got one of those creatures here with me to test out my
theories.)

Graybags

Apr 5, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/5/00

Garry J. Vass wrote in message ...

>Greets to the apihnas!
>
>Dropping by in apihna to have a lookie!

Welcome, have a pint of your favourite beverage, or can we interest you in
our house speciality, an apihna colada ?

>Is this a proper British ng?

Brits and leftpondians in evidence.

> I ask because it's so goddam cold in
>London right now that a proper gent can't even describe it. After
>rooting around for a few days 'Second Coming Weather' is the only thing
>I can think of.
>
>But what I wanted to ask about in terms of the English language is
>beautiful words...
>
>Beautiful words like 'goldenrod', 'sunset', 'halcyon', and 'moonbeam'...
>Aren't they beautiful?
>
>I recently asked a colleague what he thought was a beautiful word and he
>said, 'meconium'. This sounds lovely, a verdant, yet solid ring to it.

>But it has a terrible definition. I should think 'Heligan' would be up

>on the list.
>
>What are the most beautiful words in the English language?

Yesterday I had cause to use the word juxtraposition, I feel this is a fine
word.

>Kind regards,
>--
>Garry J. Vass

Graybags

Graybags

Apr 5, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/5/00

Graybags wrote in message

>Yesterday I had cause to use the word juxtraposition, I feel this is a fine
>word.

Of course, I said it wothout the stray "r" - I seem to be having problem
with my "r"s - can anyone help.

Graybags (wondering who's going to take the bait -NOT)

John Flynn

Apr 5, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/5/00
Graybags wrote:

> Yesterday I had cause to use the word juxtraposition, I feel this is
> a fine word.

Did you use it in the right place?

[Spelling note: juxtRaposition? Just wondering...]

--
johnF

"If an angel were ever to tell us anything of his philosophy I believe
many propositions would sound like 2 times 2 equals 13."
-- _Aphorisms_, G C Lichtenberg

Thomas Rushton

Apr 5, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/5/00
Graybags wrote:

>Graybags wrote in message

>>Yesterday I had cause to use the word juxtraposition, I feel this
>>is a fine word.
>

>Of course, I said it wothout the stray "r" - I seem to be having
>problem with my "r"s - can anyone help.

Go on a diet?

--
Thomas Rushton
Leeds, UK

Jens Ayton

Apr 5, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/5/00
John Flynn:
> Garry J. Vass:

>> I recently asked a colleague what he thought was a beautiful word and
>> he said, 'meconium'. This sounds lovely, a verdant, yet solid ring
>> to it. But it has a terrible definition.
>
> Urgh! A new word to me, and I'm not sure if I should thank you or not
> for bringing it my attention.

I obviously need a bigger dictionary. What does it mean, then?

--
Jens Ayton

"Ma now once (41)vorrei make to be worth my reasons of endured cakes and
the damage that they have made me in the deep one of my being."

Jens Ayton

Apr 5, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/5/00
Polgara The Sorceress:

> The most beautiful composition in the English language is a finely crafted
> it's/its sentence, which is seconded only by an equally lovely to/too/two
> sentence. :-)

Those of us who have achieved a
to/too/two/to/its/it's/there/their/they're sentance have little to look
forward to in the realms of linguistic aesthetic.

--
Jens Ayton, who is Swedish.

John Flynn

Apr 5, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/5/00
Jens Ayton wrote:

> John Flynn:
>
>> Garry J. Vass:
>>
>>> I recently asked a colleague what he thought was a beautiful word
>>> and he said, 'meconium'. This sounds lovely, a verdant, yet solid
>>> ring to it. But it has a terrible definition.
>>
>> Urgh! A new word to me, and I'm not sure if I should thank you or
>> not for bringing it my attention.
>
> I obviously need a bigger dictionary. What does it mean, then?

The main definition from NSOED:

"A dark, greenish, sticky substance found in the intestine of a foetus
in the later part of gestation and forming the first faeces of a
newborn infant."

Lovely, eh?

Graybags

Apr 5, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/5/00

John Flynn wrote in message <38EB411F...@flynndins.freeserve.co.uk>...

The sin of parenthood - I actually knew that word, and I claim no prizes in
the Knowing good words of the year awards (KGWOTYA awards). Seemingly if the
foetus becomes distressed, this liquid can be released, and so along with
the amniotic fluid expelled during the water breaking exercise, this green
release may be found. If this happens you must go straight to hospital (I
remember the woman saying so at parent-craft classes).

Graybags - probably sharing too much

Polgara The Sorceress

Apr 5, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/5/00
John Flynn wrote:

> [snip]

> The main definition from NSOED:
>
> "A dark, greenish, sticky substance found in the intestine of a foetus
> in the later part of gestation and forming the first faeces of a
> newborn infant."
>
> Lovely, eh?

Hmmm. You weren't descriptive enough, John.

From Barron's Dictionary of Medical Terms, Third Edition:

Meconium n. First stools of newborn, which are thick, sticky, greenish to
black, and composed of bile pigments, gland secretions, amniotic fluid,
and other intrauterine debris. The presence of meconium in the amniotic
fluid usually indicates fetal distress.

Now we get the full, technicolor effect. :-)

Polgara The Sorceress

Apr 5, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/5/00
Jens Ayton wrote:

> Polgara The Sorceress:
> >
> > The most beautiful composition in the English language is a finely crafted
> > it's/its sentence, which is seconded only by an equally lovely to/too/two
> > sentence. :-)
>
> Those of us who have achieved a to/too/two/to/its/it's/there/their/they're
> sentance have little to look forward to in the realms of linguistic aesthetic.
>

> Jens Ayton, who is Swedish.

Yes, maybe so, but we now hold you in high regard for your accomplishments. I'm
not worthy! I'm not worthy! [Laury bows three times and exits, walking
backwards]

--

Smilies!

Laury :-> <who isn't Swedish>

Polgara The Sorceress

Apr 5, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/5/00
Graybags wrote:

> [snip]

> Welcome, have a pint of your favourite beverage, or can we interest you in
> our house speciality, an apihna colada ?

Is this before or after you've gotten to it first, Mr. Bags??? [Note to Garry:
Worry if he says "afterward"]

> >Is this a proper British ng?
>
> Brits and leftpondians in evidence.

I'm Exhibit B for the Defence, Your Lordship. :-) Don't forget the other
Regulars who are "none of the above."

--

Smilies!

Laury :->

Polgara The Sorceress

Apr 5, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/5/00
John Flynn wrote:

> Graybags wrote:
>
> > Yesterday I had cause to use the word juxtraposition, I feel this is
> > a fine word.
>

> Did you use it in the right place?
>
> [Spelling note: juxtRaposition? Just wondering...]

Obviously Mr. Bags is trying to break into the Best Rap Artist category at
the next round of music awards. Decided to give the Polka category as
pass this year, Mr. Bags???

Polgara The Sorceress

Apr 5, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/5/00
Thomas Rushton wrote:

> Graybags wrote:
>
> >Graybags wrote in message

> >>Yesterday I had cause to use the word juxtraposition, I feel this
> >>is a fine word.
> >

> >Of course, I said it wothout the stray "r" - I seem to be having
> >problem with my "r"s - can anyone help.
>
> Go on a diet?

I never even had to say a word...

[Laury sits back and giggles a bit.]

"I'll get my rewengee!", saith Prince Ludwig, Blackadder II, Episode 6.
[1]

REWENGEENOTE:

[1] Well, not quite EXACTLY, but he DID use the neato word "rewengee!"
The paraphrasing bit is all mine. :-)

Thomas Rushton

Apr 5, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/5/00
Polgara The Sorceress wrote:

>John Flynn wrote:
>> Graybags wrote:

>> > Yesterday I had cause to use the word juxtraposition, I feel
>> > this is a fine word.

>> Did you use it in the right place?
>> [Spelling note: juxtRaposition? Just wondering...]
>
>Obviously Mr. Bags is trying to break into the Best Rap Artist

^^^
That's "rap" with a silent "C"?

>category at the next round of music awards. Decided to give the
>Polka category as pass this year, Mr. Bags???

Thomas Rushton

Apr 5, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/5/00
Jens Ayton wrote:

>Polgara The Sorceress:
>>
>> The most beautiful composition in the English language is a finely
>> crafted it's/its sentence, which is seconded only by an equally
>> lovely to/too/two sentence. :-)
>
>Those of us who have achieved a
>to/too/two/to/its/it's/there/their/they're sentance have little to
>look forward to in the realms of linguistic aesthetic.

Is it too much trouble to point out there are two tos in the above?

(I'm ignoring the obvious typo on sentance[qv]...)

John Flynn

Apr 5, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/5/00
Thomas Rushton wrote, in part:

> Is it too much trouble to point out there are two tos in the above?

Infinitive TO and preposition TO. But you knew that anyway, didn't
you? You just wanted to write your own to/too/two/to sentence.

--
johnF

"I hope, one day, to feature in your sig....."
-- Rob Saville, APIHNA, 17 Feb 2000

Polgara The Sorceress

Apr 5, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/5/00
Thomas Rushton wrote:

> Polgara The Sorceress wrote:
>
> [snip]

> >Obviously Mr. Bags is trying to break into the Best Rap Artist
> ^^^
> That's "rap" with a silent "C"?

You'd have to ask Jens about that, since he is the one interested in
eliminating all c's from the English language. :-)

Thomas Rushton

Apr 5, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/5/00
John Flynn wrote:

>Thomas Rushton wrote, in part:
>> Is it too much trouble to point out there are two tos in the above?
>Infinitive TO and preposition TO. But you knew that anyway, didn't
>you? You just wanted to write your own to/too/two/to sentence.

Curses! Foiled again...

Jens Ayton

Apr 5, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/5/00
Thomas Rushton:

> Is it too much trouble to point out there are two tos in the above?

It had "to" as in "I am going to town", and also "to" as in "to be". Two
completely different words.

> (I'm ignoring the obvious typo on sentance[qv]...)

Well, the sentence in question contained said typo... it was a
deliberate reference. Really, I mean it. Not a mistake at all. Put that
eybrow down, you might hurt someone with it.

--
Jens Ayton

Jens Ayton

Apr 5, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/5/00
Polgara The Sorseress:
> Thomas Rushton:
>> Polgara The Sorseress:

>>> Obviously Mr. Bags is trying to break into the Best Rap Artist
>> ^^^
>> That's "rap" with a silent "K"?

> You'd have to ask Jens about that, since he is the one interested in
> eliminating all []'s from the English language. :-)

The glyphs, buggrit... not the sounds.

--
Jens Ayton

"Ma now onse (41)vorrei make to be uorth my reasons of endured kakes and

Polgara The Sorceress

Apr 5, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/5/00
Thomas Rushton wrote:

> John Flynn wrote:
>
> >Thomas Rushton wrote, in part:

> >> Is it too much trouble to point out there are two tos in the above?

> >Infinitive TO and preposition TO. But you knew that anyway, didn't
> >you? You just wanted to write your own to/too/two/to sentence.
>
> Curses! Foiled again...

Don't you mean "phoiled", Thomas?

Polgara The Sorceress

Apr 5, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/5/00
Jens Ayton wrote:

> Polgara The Sorseress:
> > Thomas Rushton:
> >> Polgara The Sorseress:

> >> ^^^
> >> That's "rap" with a silent "K"?
> >
> > You'd have to ask Jens about that, since he is the one interested in
> > eliminating all []'s from the English language. :-)
>
> The glyphs, buggrit... not the sounds.

Are you casting aspersions on this Sorceress, Jens? I've never bussed a
glyph either, so there!

Jens Ayton

Apr 5, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/5/00
Polgara The Sorceress :

> Jens Ayton wrote:
>> Polgara The Sorseress:
>>> Thomas Rushton:

>>> You'd have to ask Jens about that, since he is the one interested in
>>> eliminating all []'s from the English language. :-)
>>
>> The glyphs, buggrit... not the sounds.
>
> Are you casting aspersions on this Sorceress, Jens? I've never bussed a
> glyph either, so there!

Ah, but have you bu... no, I guess you wouldn't have.

--
Jens Ayton

"Ma now once (41)vorrei make to be worth my reasons of endured cakes and

Garry J. Vass

Apr 5, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/5/00
In article <38EA777E...@flynndins.freeserve.co.uk>, John Flynn
<joh...@flynndins.freeserve.co.uk> writes

>It's been asked before -- just recently, actually -- but I'll repeat
>my most favourite English word. Omelette. It's got a beautiful
>combination of rounded and short vowels, and a nice contrast between
>the smooth "mmm" sound and the sharper "tt" sound.

Thanks to you and all the others who helped nail down this business
about all the various beautiful words and what-not. Quite an inspiring
thread, all said.

I shall save it off, debone it, and examine it. Hopefully mount any
interesting results on the ukulele site. I would love to write up a
collection a beautiful words.

Thanks again to all who contributed! What a nice crowd!

>Oh, and they taste nice, too.

they do tho', don't they though.

Oh. I just read an interesting web article on the extraordinary subtle,
yet vital difference between 'body clock' and 'biological clock'.

First of all, I'm certainly glad that a covey of academics out there are
poised to deliberate over such matters as the semantic difference
between two relatively innocuous terms (should the Usenet community ever
lose its way and become unable to express itself). And then get funding
to make web pages out of it all. I must be nice life when one learns
how to get grants, but I hear the pay is lousy.

So anyway, it seems that the two terms, 'body clock' and 'biological
clock' can be used interchangeably *most* of the time. Except when
referring to something like a life-span. Consider:

[1] Realising that her body clock is ticking, she'll get married soon.

[2] Realising that her biological clock is ticking, she'll get married
soon.

Those two sentences should impart two completely different meanings.
Presumably one reaches for the 'walking time-bomb' metaphor, and the
other is a broader metaphor suggesting that at the stroke of midnight,
BAM. The lights go out. Full stop. End of story and all that.

'...a poor player who struts and frets his hour on the stage...'

'...he got his fifteen minutes...'

What other metaphorical clocks are out there ticking? Oh. And how to
pronounce 'apihna'?
--
Garry J. Vass

Polgara The Sorceress

Apr 5, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/5/00
"Garry J. Vass" wrote:

> [snip]

> Thanks to you and all the others who helped nail down this business
> about all the various beautiful words and what-not. Quite an inspiring
> thread, all said.
>
> I shall save it off, debone it, and examine it. Hopefully mount any
> interesting results on the ukulele site. I would love to write up a
> collection a beautiful words.

Ahhh, for more inspiration, may I direct your attention to an archival
service to search for past messages on topics such as toilets, porridge and
its countability, the age-old brick/feather and which is heavier debate, all
discussed here since Xmas, since it's for the record??? :-)

Polgara The Sorceress

Apr 5, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/5/00
John Flynn wrote:

> [snip]

> > What other metaphorical clocks are out there ticking? Oh. And how to
> pronounce 'apihna'?
>

> That exact question occurred to me just the other day!

In regards to your biological clock, John???

> Personally, I've always pronounced it as a-pee-na (and from that, I
> proposed the Apihna Colada[1] cocktail that sometimes gets ordered now
> in The Apihna Arms by those patrons looking for a bit of an exotic
> change from the usual real ales).

Since everyone just *knows* that Laury will have her say, here is her
say: "ah-pee-nyah". An attempt to get the little ~ thingy over the "n"
in some accent not altogether unlike that in Spanish.

So what happens when a Leftpondian comes to The Arms and orders a
Chi-Chi? Will the bartender have him/her tossed? I hope not!

> [snip]

> [1] Today, I found out that "pina colada" means, quite literally,
> "strained pineapple" -- which found quite amusing. Just thought I'd
> mention it.

Actually, it means "yummy banananers." [1]

APIHNANOTE:

[1] Would *I* lie to you???
--

Smilies!

Laury :-> <who is a compulsive pain in the ass/arse. :-) >

Polgara The Sorceress

Apr 5, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/5/00
Jens Ayton wrote:

> [snip]

> > that sometimes gets ordered now in The Apihna Arms by those patrons looking for
> a bit of an exotic change from the usual >real ales).
>

> Gimme a proper drink any day... a long, slow double entendre, perhaps, or a
> banananana dakry.

A strawberry marguerita with extra tequila and salt on the rim isn't too bad.[1]
I've been offered and have offered sex on the beach, but no one has taken me up on
it yet... And our very own Mr. Bags has offered everyone a urine sample, so...

BOOZENOTE:
[1] In homage to my dear friend, Candy, with whom I often go to the pub and imbibe
said cocktail - ok, I watch and she drinks, but it's a vicarious drink for me!

--

Smilies!

Laury :->

John Ward

Apr 5, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/5/00
In article <38EA7898...@my-deja.com>,

Polgara The Sorceress <polgara_th...@my-deja.com> wrote:

> The most beautiful composition in the English language is a finely
> crafted it's/its sentence,

It's one of my favourite challenges, success being its own reward.

> which is seconded only by an equally lovely to/too/two sentence. :-)

That too, but you need to give an example or two.

--
John M Ward -- propping up the bar at the Apihna Arms
Web page at -- http://www.argonet.co.uk/users/johnward

John Ward

Apr 5, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/5/00
In article <38EB411F...@flynndins.freeserve.co.uk>,

John Flynn <joh...@flynndins.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:
> The main definition from NSOED:
>
> "A dark, greenish, sticky substance found in the intestine of a foetus
> in the later part of gestation and forming the first faeces of a
> newborn infant."
>
> Lovely, eh?

Yeah. I'll take two.

(well, I've always been two-faeced.)

John Flynn

Apr 6, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/6/00
"Garry J. Vass" wrote:

[Lots of stuff snipped, to which I shall reply tomorrow when I've had
some slumber and some "sleeping on it" time]

> What other metaphorical clocks are out there ticking? Oh. And how
> to pronounce 'apihna'?

That exact question occurred to me just the other day!

Personally, I've always pronounced it as a-pee-na (and from that, I
proposed the Apihna Colada[1] cocktail that sometimes gets ordered now

in The Apihna Arms by those patrons looking for a bit of an exotic
change from the usual real ales).

Just a few days ago (when thinking about that ever pervasive US/UK
vowel pronunciation issue) the fact that APIHNA might be victim to
this occurred to me.

So come on then, Apihna regulars! Two of us are asking how we
pronounce our own NG's name!

[1] Today, I found out that "pina colada" means, quite literally,
"strained pineapple" -- which found quite amusing. Just thought
I'd mention it.

--
johnF

"Trochee, I think. Don't quote me on that."
-- APIHNA, Ben Wolfson, 6 Jan 2000

Jens Ayton

Apr 6, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/6/00
John Flynn:

> Personally, I've always pronounced it as a-pee-na (and from that, I
> proposed the Apihna Colada[1] cocktail

...he says, thus demonstrating a limited grasp of the pronunciation of "piña"...

> that sometimes gets ordered now in The Apihna Arms by those patrons
> looking for a bit of an exotic change from the usual real ales).

Gimme a proper drink any day... a long, slow double entendre, perhaps,
or a banananana dakry.

--
Jens Ayton, compulsive Pratchett-referencer.

Graybags

Apr 6, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/6/00

>So what happens when a Leftpondian comes to The Arms and orders a
>Chi-Chi? Will the bartender have him/her tossed? I hope not!

They may be lucky enough to leave with a giant panda ?

Graybags

Graybags

Apr 6, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/6/00

Jens Ayton wrote in message <38EBDDF7...@nettaxi.com>...

>John Flynn:
>>
>> Personally, I've always pronounced it as a-pee-na (and from that, I
>> proposed the Apihna Colada[1] cocktail
>
>...he says, thus demonstrating a limited grasp of the pronunciation of
"piña"...

Pina (as in pina colada) is correctly pronounced pee-na. Why ? Because it
has been anglisised. As I have said before, when we adopt foreign words and
give them an English pronunciation, we are NOT incorrect, it's just the way
we speak. If I then go to Spain (I'm assuming it has Spanish origin) and
pronounce it the UK way, I am wrong, but to re-iterate - John was correct in
his pronunciation - as Pink Floyd once said... "Leave us Brits alone" (or
something like).

As for me, I pronounce Apihna a-pee-na, with no reference to squiggly bits
anywhere.

Graybags

Graybags

Apr 6, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/6/00

Laury wrote:
>Will the bartender have him/her tossed? I hope not!

UKNOTE

To toss (vb) = to masturbate.

Careful with the usage Laury (or a few UKers will be coming over, ordering
Chi-chis and hoping for "afters" if you know what I mean!)

Graybags

John Flynn

Apr 6, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/6/00
Graybags wrote, in part:

> As for me, I pronounce Apihna a-pee-na, with no reference to squiggly
> bits anywhere.

Exactly! You know the conversation is scraping the barrel-bottom when
you need to refer to your squiggly bits in order to keep it
interesting.

John Flynn

Apr 6, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/6/00
"Garry J. Vass" wrote, in part:

> So anyway, it seems that the two terms, 'body clock' and 'biological
> clock' can be used interchangeably *most* of the time. Except when
> referring to something like a life-span. Consider:
>
> [1] Realising that her body clock is ticking, she'll get married soon.
>
> [2] Realising that her biological clock is ticking, she'll get married
> soon.
>
> Those two sentences should impart two completely different meanings.
> Presumably one reaches for the 'walking time-bomb' metaphor, and the
> other is a broader metaphor suggesting that at the stroke of midnight,
> BAM. The lights go out.

Well, I guess switching the lights off on her wedding night would be
understandable if she's been a good girl and kept herself to herself
until that "special" time. Nerves and anxiety, you know?

> Full stop. End of story and all that.
>
> '...a poor player who struts and frets his hour on the stage...'
>
> '...he got his fifteen minutes...'
>

> What other metaphorical clocks are out there ticking?

[For all the sexual equality pedants, please note that I'm using
male pronouns in my examples simply because to include "or she" or
"or her" makes for ugly phrases.]

"His time will come."

"He's no spring chicken." [Using the passing of the seasons to
parallel the advance of years.]

"They're in a May to September relationship." [Once again, using a year
to encapsulate a life-span -- when you reach Christmas Day, you
haven't really got a lot left to look forward to, except cold turkey.]

--
johnF

"If an angel were ever to tell us anything of his philosophy I believe
many propositions would sound like 2 times 2 equals 13."
-- _Aphorisms_, G C Lichtenberg

Polgara The Sorceress

Apr 6, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/6/00
Graybags wrote:

> Laury wrote:
> >Will the bartender have him/her tossed? I hope not!
>
> UKNOTE
>
> To toss (vb) = to masturbate.

I knew that, Mr. Bags. 'Twas a pun.

NORTHAMERICANOTE:

To toss (vb) = to throw out.

> Careful with the usage Laury (or a few UKers will be coming over,[1]

> ordering Chi-chis and hoping for "afters" if you know what I mean!)

Dessert?[2]

USAGENOTE:
[1] Well, there's always HOPE!
[2] I know that "afters" are a dessert. But no doubt there is *another*
meaning. And you Brits thinks us North American are dirty minded...

Polgara The Sorceress

Apr 6, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/6/00
Graybags wrote:

> Jens Ayton wrote in message <38EBDDF7...@nettaxi.com>...
> >John Flynn:
> >>
> >> Personally, I've always pronounced it as a-pee-na (and from that, I
> >> proposed the Apihna Colada[1] cocktail
> >
> >...he says, thus demonstrating a limited grasp of the pronunciation of
> "piña"...
> >

> Pina (as in pina colada) is correctly pronounced pee-na. Why ? Because it
> has been anglisised. As I have said before, when we adopt foreign words and
> give them an English pronunciation, we are NOT incorrect, it's just the way
> we speak. If I then go to Spain (I'm assuming it has Spanish origin) and
> pronounce it the UK way, I am wrong, but to re-iterate - John was correct in
> his pronunciation - as Pink Floyd once said... "Leave us Brits alone" (or
> something like).

http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionary

Main Entry: pi·ña co·la·da
Pronunciation: 'pEn-y&-kO-'lä-d&, 'pE-n&-
Function: noun
Etymology: Spanish, literally, strained pineapple
Date: 1923
: a tall drink made of rum, cream of coconut, and pineapple juice mixed with ice

Just to add to the flames. :-)

So according to the Merriam-Webster, it seems "correct" to say "pen-ya" or
"pen-ah", whichever floats your boat, lights your candle, etc, etc, etc.

BTW, I like my drink with rum of the spiced variety and very, very tall,
please. Thanks. :-)

> As for me, I pronounce Apihna a-pee-na, with no reference to squiggly bits
> anywhere.

For which we are eternally grateful, Mr. Bags. None of your squiggly bits,
thanks.

Graybags

Apr 6, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/6/00

Polgara The Sorceress wrote in message

>[2] I know that "afters" are a dessert. But no doubt there is *another*
>meaning

Indeed - in the UK it also means something that comes AFTER something else.
I'm surprised that this usage has not travelled across the deep and briney.

Graybags

Steven M. O'Neill

Apr 6, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/6/00
Polgara The Sorceress <pol...@telus.net> wrote:
>Pronunciation: 'pEn-y&-kO-'lä-d&, 'pE-n&-

What's a & sound like? Is that a schwa? So then even your American
dictionary agrees that you can say either pee-nya or pee-na.

But a pina colada would be a strained Italian pop star, apparently.
--
Steven O'Neill ste...@panix.com
http://digilander.iol.it/Pina/

Polgara The Sorceress

Apr 6, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/6/00
"Steven M. O'Neill" wrote:

> Polgara The Sorceress <pol...@telus.net> wrote:
> >Pronunciation: 'pEn-y&-kO-'lä-d&, 'pE-n&-
>
> What's a & sound like? Is that a schwa? So then even your American
> dictionary

Er, 'tis not MY American dictionary. 'Tis the Merriam-Webster dictionary
online; the first one I came across that had a nice definition of the item
"pina colada."

> agrees that you can say either pee-nya or pee-na.

I suppose one could have gone the the site and seen for onesself, since the
link was provided, but here is the pronunciation key anyway:

Dictionary Pronunciation Key

\&\ as a and u in abut
\&\ as e in kitten
\&r\ as ur and er in
further
\a\ as a in ash
\A\ as a in ace
\ä\ as o in mop
\au\ as ou in out
\ch\ as ch in chin
\e\ as e in bet
\E\ as ea in easy
\g\ as g in go
\i\ as i in hit
\I\ as i in ice
\j\ as j in job
\[ng]\ as ng in
sing
\O\ as o in go
\o\ as aw
in law
\oi\ as oy
in boy
\th\ as th
in thin
\th\ as th
in the
\ü\ as oo
in loot
\u\ as oo
in foot
\y\ as y
in yet
\zh\ as si
in vision

And I can't be bothered to reformat that little bit either.

Barry in Indy

Apr 6, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/6/00
In article <38ECA071...@my-deja.com>,

pol...@telus.net wrote:
> Graybags wrote:
>
> > Laury wrote:
> > >Will the bartender have him/her tossed? I hope not!
> >
> > UKNOTE
> >
> > To toss (vb) = to masturbate.
>
> I knew that, Mr. Bags. 'Twas a pun.
>
> NORTHAMERICANOTE:
>
> To toss (vb) = to throw out.
>
> > Careful with the usage Laury (or a few UKers will be coming over,[1]
> > ordering Chi-chis and hoping for "afters" if you know what I mean!)
>
> Dessert?[2]
>
> USAGENOTE:
> [1] Well, there's always HOPE!
> [2] I know that "afters" are a dessert. But no doubt there is
*another*
> meaning. And you Brits thinks us North American are dirty minded...

Is there is such a thing as "tossed salad" in Rightpondia, or does the
phrase imply fondling cucumbers?

Barry in Indy

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Steven M. O'Neill

Apr 6, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/6/00
In article <38ECC0EA...@my-deja.com>,

Polgara The Sorceress <pol...@telus.net> wrote:
>"Steven M. O'Neill" wrote:
>
>> Polgara The Sorceress <pol...@telus.net> wrote:
>> >Pronunciation: 'pEn-y&-kO-'lä-d&, 'pE-n&-
>>
>> What's a & sound like? Is that a schwa? So then even your American
>> dictionary
>
>Er, 'tis not MY American dictionary. 'Tis the Merriam-Webster dictionary
>online; the first one I came across that had a nice definition of the item
>"pina colada."

Well, "yours" in the sense that you found it and quoted it....

>> agrees that you can say either pee-nya or pee-na.
>
>I suppose one could have gone the the site and seen for onesself, since the
>link was provided, but here is the pronunciation key anyway:

If only I weren't so lazy^H^H^H^Hbusy working.

>Dictionary Pronunciation Key
>
> \&\ as a and u in abut
> \&\ as e in kitten
> \&r\ as ur and er in
> further

Which makes me wonder if the UKites wouldn't pronounce it "peener
colader."

Graybags

Apr 6, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/6/00

Barry in Indy wrote in message

>Is there is such a thing as "tossed salad" in Rightpondia, or does the
>phrase imply fondling cucumbers?

Only when there is no alternative dressing available.

Graybags - already regretting this post

Ben Wolfson

Apr 6, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/6/00
On Thu, 6 Apr 2000 08:58:19 +0100, "Graybags"
<gb...@globalnet.co.uk.invalid> wrote:

>Pina (as in pina colada) is correctly pronounced pee-na. Why ? Because it
>has been anglisised. As I have said before, when we adopt foreign words and
>give them an English pronunciation, we are NOT incorrect, it's just the way
>we speak. If I then go to Spain (I'm assuming it has Spanish origin) and
>pronounce it the UK way, I am wrong, but to re-iterate - John was correct in
>his pronunciation - as Pink Floyd once said... "Leave us Brits alone" (or
>something like).

So tell me, is it true that you wacky brits pronounce "juan" as
"joo-un" and "quixote" as "kwixut"?

>As for me, I pronounce Apihna a-pee-na

as do I.

--
Barnabas T. Rumjuggler

Angels are just a clumsy form of poultry.
-- A S Byatt, "The Conjugial Angel"

Garry J. Vass

Apr 6, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/6/00
In article <fl1qesgfjcmjrce78...@4ax.com>, Ben Wolfson
<rumju...@home.com> writes

>On Thu, 6 Apr 2000 08:58:19 +0100, "Graybags"
><gb...@globalnet.co.uk.invalid> wrote:
>
>>Pina (as in pina colada) is correctly pronounced pee-na. Why ? Because it
>>has been anglisised. As I have said before, when we adopt foreign words and
>>give them an English pronunciation, we are NOT incorrect, it's just the way
>>we speak. If I then go to Spain (I'm assuming it has Spanish origin) and
>>pronounce it the UK way, I am wrong, but to re-iterate - John was correct in
>>his pronunciation - as Pink Floyd once said... "Leave us Brits alone" (or
>>something like).
>
>So tell me, is it true that you wacky brits pronounce "juan" as
>"joo-un" and "quixote" as "kwixut"?

Just as a side-note, 'Brits' should be capitalised. In case that
presents a spot of bother, a big 'B'. Thanks in advance...
--
Garry J. Vass

Polgara The Sorceress

Apr 6, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/6/00
Jens Ayton wrote:

> John Flynn:
> >
> > Personally, I've always pronounced it as a-pee-na (and from that, I
> > proposed the Apihna Colada[1] cocktail
>
> ...he says, thus demonstrating a limited grasp of the pronunciation of "piña"...

But John was speaking/writing in English at the time...

Nina, the Pinto and the Venerated Mary, right??? :-)

John Flynn

Apr 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/7/00
"Garry J. Vass" wrote:

> In article <fl1qesgfjcmjrce78...@4ax.com>, Ben Wolfson
> <rumju...@home.com> writes
>

>> So tell me, is it true that you wacky brits pronounce "juan" as
>> "joo-un" and "quixote" as "kwixut"?
>
> Just as a side-note, 'Brits' should be capitalised. In case that
> presents a spot of bother, a big 'B'. Thanks in advance...

"Cap it al ised"? Hmmm... don't know what that means.

"A big 'B'", you say? Damn! I still haven't got what you mean!

Can you dumb it down another notch or two, Garry? Please?

--
johnF

"COWARD, n. One who in a perilous emergency thinks with his legs."
-- _The Devil's Dictionary_, Ambrose Bierce

John Flynn

Apr 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/7/00
Ben Wolfson wrote:

> So tell me, is it true that you wacky brits pronounce "juan" as
> "joo-un" and "quixote" as "kwixut"?

You got it, sir! We're just wild and uncontrollable, we are!
Unpredictable beasts that are best left untouched and undisturbed.

Actually, I HAVE heard "quixote" pronounced as "quicks oat" -- kind of
bringing to mind an exchange you might hear before a meal:

"NO! The peas! I forgot to prepare them!"
"That's okay, dear, I'll pop out to the shops and get us a box of
quick-soak peas."

Graybags

Apr 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/7/00

Ben Wolfson wrote in message ...

>So tell me, is it true that you wacky brits pronounce "juan" as
>"joo-un" and "quixote" as "kwixut"?
>

>--
>Barnabas T. Rumjuggler

No. Juan = "hwan", and Quixote is "key-hotie". I'm not saying we pronounce
all words as spellt, just a convention forms and to call it incorrect is
absurd. Do we pronounce through and rough in the same way? Of course not.

I started this theme when people were bemoaning the pronunciation of
"Kosovo", but conveniently forgetting that English-speakers pronounce a huge
percentage of foreign cities and countries in a manner totally alien to the
residents of that city or country. It's not wrong, it may be based on
ignorance, but it isn't wrong.

Graybags

Barry in Indy

Apr 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/7/00
In article <8cikli$anm$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>,

Barry in Indy <sasc...@my-deja.com> wrote:

> Is there is such a thing as "tossed salad" in Rightpondia, or does the
> phrase imply fondling cucumbers?

"Is there is...?????" Whoops, a case of the old slippedy brain!

Ben Wolfson

Apr 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/7/00
On Thu, 6 Apr 2000 23:49:11 +0100, "Garry J. Vass"
<Ga...@gvass.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>Just as a side-note, 'Brits' should be capitalised. In case that
>presents a spot of bother, a big 'B'. Thanks in advance...

ITYM "a big 'b'". 'B' is already big.

--
Barnabas T. Rumjuggler

An infant is a seed. Is it an oak seed or a cabbage seed? Who knows?
All mothers think their children are oaks, but the world never lacks
for cabbages.
-- Robertson Davies, _World of Wonders_

Ben Wolfson

Apr 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/7/00
On Fri, 7 Apr 2000 00:19:11 +0100, "Graybags"
<gb...@globalnet.co.uk.invalid> wrote:

>No. Juan = "hwan", and Quixote is "key-hotie". I'm not saying we pronounce
>all words as spellt, just a convention forms and to call it incorrect is
>absurd. Do we pronounce through and rough in the same way? Of course not.

I asked because I had a vague memory of one of my deleted incorrect
pronunciations being given as the correct pronunciation in some
fancy-pants english dictionary, and it seemed like an opportune time
to ask. I'm not accusing you wacky >>b<<rits of pronounce _all_
^
^
words exactly as spelled.

--
Barnabas T. Rumjuggler

...to understand to attention when I'm talking to you and stop
laughing, about human nature, man's psychological make-up some story
the wife'll believe and hence the very meaning of life itselfish
bastard, I'll kick him in the balls upon the road.
-- Monty Python, "Word Association Football"

Graybags

Apr 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/7/00

Ben Wolfson wrote in message <65oqesc4gskb75kpo...@4ax.com>...

>On Fri, 7 Apr 2000 00:19:11 +0100, "Graybags"
><gb...@globalnet.co.uk.invalid> wrote:
>
>>No. Juan = "hwan", and Quixote is "key-hotie". I'm not saying we pronounce
>>all words as spellt, just a convention forms and to call it incorrect is
>>absurd. Do we pronounce through and rough in the same way? Of course not.
>
>I asked because I had a vague memory of one of my deleted incorrect
>pronunciations being given as the correct pronunciation in some
>fancy-pants english dictionary, and it seemed like an opportune time
> to ask. I'm not accusing you wacky >>b<<rits of pronounce _all_
> ^
> ^
>words exactly as spelled.
>
>--
>Barnabas T. Rumjuggler

That's ok then, we can all sit down and carry on that game of dominos now.
Bugger - <knock>

Graybags - go on tell me why you spent so much effort highlighting the "g"
at the end of accusing.

Jens Ayton

Apr 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/7/00
John Flynn:
> Garry J. Vass:
>> Ben Wolfson:

>>> So tell me, is it true that you wacky brits pronounce "juan" as
>>> "joo-un" and "quixote" as "kwixut"?
>>
>> Just as a side-note, 'Brits' should be capitalised. In case that
>> presents a spot of bother, a big 'B'. Thanks in advance...
>
> "Cap it al ised"? Hmmm... don't know what that means.
>
> "A big 'B'", you say? Damn! I still haven't got what you mean!
>
> Can you dumb it down another notch or two, Garry? Please?

Like this:

* * * * *
* *
* *
* *
* * * *
* *
* *
* *
* *
* * * * * rits.

(Not to be confused with Grits.)

--
Jens Ayton

Dr Robin Bignall

Apr 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/7/00
On Fri, 07 Apr 2000 00:21:18 +0100, John Flynn
<joh...@flynndins.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:

>"Garry J. Vass" wrote:
>
>> In article <fl1qesgfjcmjrce78...@4ax.com>, Ben Wolfson
>> <rumju...@home.com> writes
>>

>>> So tell me, is it true that you wacky brits pronounce "juan" as
>>> "joo-un" and "quixote" as "kwixut"?
>>
>> Just as a side-note, 'Brits' should be capitalised. In case that
>> presents a spot of bother, a big 'B'. Thanks in advance...
>
>"Cap it al ised"? Hmmm... don't know what that means.
>
>"A big 'B'", you say? Damn! I still haven't got what you mean!
>
>Can you dumb it down another notch or two, Garry? Please?

Let me see if I can help you, johnF.
Cap: a sort of hat.
It: a thing.
Al: your pal from down the road.
Ised: an alternative spelling of 'iced'.
Presumably a big 'B' in this context is a Bowler hat, and the 'it'
beginning with a 'b' must be its brim, so 'Cap it al ised' means that
your pal Al from down the road got his bowler hat's brim iced up,
presumably from residing in the frozen north of England during the
last week, and standing in the snow.
It's easy when you know how...
--

wrmst rgds
RB...(docr...@cwcom.net)

Ben Wolfson

Apr 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/7/00
On Fri, 7 Apr 2000 08:13:32 +0100, "Graybags"
<gb...@globalnet.co.uk.invalid> wrote:

>> to ask. I'm not accusing you wacky >>b<<rits of pronounce _all_
>> ^
>> ^
>>words exactly as spelled.

>Graybags - go on tell me why you spent so much effort highlighting the "g"

>at the end of accusing.

Because I meant to highlight the lowercase "B" in "brits".

--
Barnabas T. Rumjuggler

Hell's boiling over / And Heaven is full / We're chained to the world
/ And we've all got to pull.
-- Tom Waits, "Dirt in the Ground"

Polgara The Sorceress

Apr 8, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/8/00
John Ward wrote:

> In article <38EA7898...@my-deja.com>,
> Polgara The Sorceress <polgara_th...@my-deja.com> wrote:
>
> > The most beautiful composition in the English language is a finely
> > crafted it's/its sentence,
>
> It's one of my favourite challenges, success being its own reward.
>
> > which is seconded only by an equally lovely to/too/two sentence. :-)
>
> That too, but you need to give an example or two.

'T's all right; you've already done so!

--

Smilies!

Laury :->

Freedom lies in being bold.
-- Robert Frost

Jens Ayton

Apr 9, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/9/00
Alan Pemberton:

> Peener colarder in my case.

What's a co-larder, and why would you want to pee in one?

Garry J. Vass

Apr 9, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/9/00
In article <38EC01C4...@my-deja.com>, Polgara The Sorceress
<polgara_th...@my-deja.com> writes

>Since everyone just *knows* that Laury will have her say, here is her
>say: "ah-pee-nyah". An attempt to get the little ~ thingy over the "n"
>in some accent not altogether unlike that in Spanish.

That's for that assistance.

>Chi-Chi? Will the bartender have him/her tossed? I hope not!

If the bartender doesn't take your meaning at first, just tell him he
looks like a proper tosser. Oh. If you wanted to go incognito, don't
forget to purchase and wear a nice soccer shirt from some other town.
--
Garry J. Vass

Polgara The Sorceress

Apr 9, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/9/00
"Garry J. Vass" wrote:

> If the bartender doesn't take your meaning at first, just tell him he
> looks like a proper tosser. Oh. If you wanted to go incognito, don't
> forget to purchase and wear a nice soccer shirt from some other town.

And so wearing a brand new apihna T-shirt would be out of the question, eh?
Damn...

John Ward

Apr 9, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/9/00
In article <38EFD1C2...@nettaxi.com>,

Jens Ayton <jAyton_...@nettaxi.com> wrote:
> Alan Pemberton:
> >
> > Peener colarder in my case.
>
> What's a co-larder, and why would you want to pee in one?

Also, Jens, any idea why it is kept in his case?

--
John M Ward -- propping up the bar at the Apihna Arms
Web page at -- http://www.argonet.co.uk/users/johnward
Giver of a brief surreal experience to King Bschons

Jens Ayton

Apr 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/11/00
Ben Wolfson:

> It's all part of the quenching process. It's a well known fact among
> us blacksmiths that on especially important projects, the best quench
> you can ask for is your own urine.

Someone else's won't cut the mustard then? (Well, I guess that's a
relief to those planning to eat the mustard.)

John Ward

Apr 21, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/21/00
In article
<1e93b4s.d869fevba9lsN%spa...@Pembers.Freeserve.co.uk.invalid>,
Alan Pemberton <spa...@Pembers.Freeserve.co.uk.invalid> wrote:

> John Ward <john...@argonet.co.uk> wrote:
> >
> > In article <38EFD1C2...@nettaxi.com>,
> > Jens Ayton <jAyton_...@nettaxi.com> wrote:
> > > Alan Pemberton:

> > > What's a co-larder, and why would you want to pee in one?
> >
> > Also, Jens, any idea why it is kept in his case?
>
> Where else would I keep it? In fact I have two. My PEENER COLARDER I
> keep in my upper case, and peener colarder in the lower one.

Okay: that's fine as long as they aren't frozen peas, otherwise you could
end up with two wet cases after a few hours.