Does Dan Rather Have No Shame? - Rather totally ignored Democrat National Committee Chairman Terry McAuliffe's involvement in what could be as big a scandal as the collapse of Enron

CB

Jan 30, 2002, 9:28:36 PM1/30/02

Tuesday, January 29, 2002

Does Dan Rather Have No Shame?

Dan Rather did it again tonight, leaving a key factor embarrassing to Democrats out of a major story.

In a segment on "CBS Evening News" dealing with the massive bankruptcy of fiber-optic cable company Global Crossing, Rather totally ignored Democrat National Committee Chairman Terry McAuliffe's involvement in what could be as big a scandal as the collapse of Enron.

While going into detail about the company's collapse Rather ignored the fact that McAuliffe, in a deal reminiscent of Hillary Clinton's $100,000 profit on a $1,000 investment in the commodities market arranged by a Tyson Chicken lawyer, pocketed a staggering $18 million on a mere $100,000 investment in Global Crossing.

Today's Washington Times reported extensively on the tight relationship between McAuliffe and Global Crossing's Gary Winnick, who gave McAuliffe the early opportunity to invest $100,000 in Winnick's new company. According to the Times the stock grew in value to $18 million during the dot-com bubble of the late 1990s, and McAuliffe cashed in his stock. Current Global Crossing shareholders, however, are now left with worthless stock.

Dan Rather didn't think any of this was worth mentioning. Not even McAuliffe's name. The man has no shame; nor does CBS for keeping him on.

Read more on this subject in related Hot Topics:
DNC Dan Rather/CBS Media Bias

DEVIL<HANDSOME

Jan 30, 2002, 7:03:04 PM1/30/02
I thought you Republicons would say that was a good investment and welcome him into your claven

bj

Jan 30, 2002, 9:02:36 PM1/30/02
Nothing new!
Dan Rather has been a joke for thirty years.  CBS news continues to lose media share, but he rules at CBS.
Kind of shoots down the theory that rating are what really count to television.

Poppi Fellipi

Jan 30, 2002, 8:10:18 PM1/30/02

McAuliffe can't have it both ways. He can't complain about anybody in the ENRON Collpase of making money while the little guys get screwed, and then on the other hand be one of the guys doing the cashing in. He is as guilty of screwing the Global Xing Employees as Ken Lay is as guilty as screwing the ENRON employees.

He should resign immediately if not sooner.

CB

Jan 30, 2002, 11:39:44 PM1/30/02
CBS sponsored polls have no credibility, just as Dan Blather

Eelder

Jan 30, 2002, 10:36:02 PM1/30/02
In the last election the GOP got 75 per cent of the dollars that Enron
contributed to campaigns. Democrat National Committee Chairman Terry
McAuliffe does not hold office so your comments are irrelevant. The
dot.com crash occured almost 2 year ago and has nothing to do with
Enron. Global Crossing just went into bankruptcy so why are you are
blaming McAuliffe for selling smart. What law has he broken?

You are grasping at straws!

CB wrote:

> CBS sponsored polls have no credibility, just as Dan Blather
>

> "bj" <holla...@comteck.com <mailto:holla...@comteck.com>> wrote

> in message news:3c58...@news.comteck.com...
>
> Nothing new!
>
> Dan Rather has been a joke for thirty years. CBS news continues to
> lose media share, but he rules at CBS.
>
> Kind of shoots down the theory that rating are what really count to
> television.
>

> CB <C...@prayforme.com <mailto:C...@prayforme.com>> wrote in message

> DNC <http://www.newsmax.com/hottopics/DNC.shtml> Dan Rather/CBS
> <http://www.newsmax.com/hottopics/Dan_Rather!CBS.shtml> Media
> Bias <http://www.newsmax.com/hottopics/Media_Bias.shtml>

listener

Jan 30, 2002, 9:54:58 PM1/30/02

> McAuliffe can't have it both ways. He can't complain about anybody in =
>the ENRON Collpase of making money while the little guys get screwed, =
>and then on the other hand be one of the guys doing the cashing in. He =
>is as guilty of screwing the Global Xing Employees as Ken Lay is as =

>guilty as screwing the ENRON employees.
>
> He should resign immediately if not sooner.=20

OK. Will you say the same of DaddyBush, who also turned $80,000 worth
of Global Crossing stock into $14.4 million dollars. Can we go back
and impeach him?

By the way, jackass, all McAuliffe did was buy low, sell high. As a
shareholder (not an employee) he, of course, had that right. It's
called capitalism.

Ayn R Keey

Jan 31, 2002, 3:18:40 AM1/31/02
Eelder <eel...@tampabay.rr.com> wrote:

> "CB" <C...@prayforme.com>
> wthinnews:a3a7ad$kcb$1...@suaar1aa.prod.compuserve.com:

>> CBS sponsored polls have no credibility, just as Dan Blather
>> "bj" <holla...@comteck.com> wrote in message
>> news:3c58...@news.comteck.com... Nothing new!
>> Dan Rather has been a joke for thirty years. CBS news

>> CB <C...@prayforme.com> wrote in message

>> Tuesday, January 29, 2002
>> Does Dan Rather Have No Shame?
>>

>> Today's Washington Times reported extensively on the
>> tight relationship between McAuliffe and Global
>> Crossing's Gary Winnick,
>>

> In the last election the GOP got 75 per cent of the dollars

> that Enron contributed to campaigns. Democrat National
> Committee Chairman Terry McAuliffe does not hold office so

> your comments are irrelevant. The dot.com crash occured almost
> 2 year ago and has nothing to do with Enron. Global Crossing
> just went into bankruptcy so why are you are blaming McAuliffe
> for selling smart. What law has he broken?
>
> You are grasping at straws!

Drudge is lazy,
Moon is an ass,
and NewsMax???

you should check before you post.

I'd call this one a tie
for the partisan pigs guzzling slop the Corporate trough.

Try sucking on these straws:
================
Poppy 'the wimp' Bush profiteers off Global Crossing!!!
================
Bloomberg News--Special to CNET News.com
March 19, 1999, 5:40 AM PT

Global Crossing...paid former U.S.
President George Bush in stock options now worth about $14.4
million for giving a speech to the company's customers,
according to reports.

After addressing customers in Tokyo on behalf of the company,
...Bush agreed to take shares in lieu of his $80,000 speech fee

The former president gave the company a 20 percent discount on
his normal fee of $100,000 for overseas trips
----
"Global Crossing paid George Bush in stock"
<http://news.com.com/2100-1033-223261.html?tag=mainstry>

=================
Lodwrick Cook
Co-Chairman--Global Crossing Ltd.
Co-Chairman--Asia Global Crossing Ltd.
Chairman--Global Marine Systems
Vice-Chairman and Managing Director--Pacific Capital Group

39-year career at Atlantic Richfield Company

Trustee of the George Bush Presidential Library Foundation

former Chairman and current director of
the Ronald Reagan Presidential Foundation

February 2001 Lod was presented with the first George Bush
Corporate Leadership Award by the Points of Light Foundation

<http://www.globalcrossing.com/xml/global/gl_com_lead_cook.xml>

=====================
==fROM OPEN SECRETS==
=====================
Global Crossing, a Bermuda-based telecom outfit that emerged
from virtually nowhere two years ago to become a huge donor to
both Democrats and Republicans, filed for bankruptcy this
week. During the 1999-2000 election cycle, Global Crossing
ranked No. 23 on the list of top overall donors to federal
parties and candidates, giving more than $2.8 million in soft
money, PAC and individual contributions. That’s 84 times what
the company contributed during the 1997-98 election cycle,
when it first emerged as a company and as a political donor.

In 2001, Global Crossing continued its generosity, ranking No.
29 on the list of biggest givers with more than $724,000 in
contributions. Since 1997, the company’s giving appears to
have been meticulously evenhanded, with money going to members
of both parties. Only in 2001 did Global Crossing’s
contributions begin to trend more heavily in favor of
Democrats.

"Global Crossing: Another Big Donor Heads into Bankruptcy"
<http://www.opensecrets.org/alerts/v6/alertv6_40.asp>

===================

Global Crossing:
$250,000 to the GOP Conv;
$250,000 to the Dem Conv;
$980,700 in campaign contribs, 60 percent to Repubs.

This Bermuda-based company reported more than $2.5 million in
lobbying expenditures during the first six months of 1999 –-
more than 20 times what the company had spent the year before.
Why so much money? Global Crossing continues to press for
federal approval of construction of a telecom cable underneath
the Pacific Ocean that would link the US and Asia. It’s step
one of Global Crossing’s worldwide telecom network.

<http://www.opensecrets.org/alerts/v5/alertv5_51.asp>

=====
Total CONTRIB. 1998-1992
==========================
Total--------------$3,573,665
From Individuals---$755,166
From Pacs----------$56,200
Soft Money---------$2,762,299
To Dems-----------47%
To Repubs---------53%

<http://www.opensecrets.org/alerts/v6/alertv6_40.asp>

House Recipients of Global Crossing
PAC & Individual Contributions, 1997-2001
<http://www.opensecrets.org/alerts/v6/gc_house.asp>

Senate Recipients of Global Crossing
PAC & Individual Contributions, 1997-2001
<http://www.opensecrets.org/alerts/v6/gc_senate.asp>

==================

GLOBAL CROSSING: ANOTHER BIG DONOR HEADS INTO BANKRUPTCY

When Washington’s fund-raising season hits its peak later this
election year, the receptions will be missing one of Capitol
Hill’s biggest financial boosters of recent years, and this
time, it’s not Enron.

[...]

Of course, that’s just the beginning of Global Crossing’s
financial influence. Beginning in 1999, the company quickly
became one of the most recognizable corporate names in
Washington, thanks to its sponsorship of major fund-raisers,
like the Republican National Committee’s annual House-Senate
Dinner. But the company truly hit its peak during the 2000
political convention season, when it sponsored dozens of
parties for members of Congress in both Los Angeles and
Philadelphia. On top of that, the company contributed $250,000
apiece to the Republican and Democratic National Convention
committees. In January 2001, Global Crossing co-chairman
Lodwrick Cook contributed $10,000 to the Bush-Cheney Inaugural
Committee. (President Bush received $68,950 in contributions
from Global Crossing during the 1999-2000 election cycle.)

With all that money, Global Crossing enjoyed considerable
clout in Washington, though its legislative focus was far
narrower than that of most companies inside the Beltway.
Unlike other companies, which usually list pages and pages of
legislation and issues they are pressing before Congress and
the administration on their lobbying disclosure forms, Global
Crossing listed less than a dozen bills or issues. Of the
issues listed, most deal with what appears to be the company’s
biggest fight on Capitol Hill: its attempts build undersea
fiber-optic cables linking the United States and other
countries.

When competitors AT&T, MCI WorldCom
and Sprint announced plans to jointly build a cable linking
the U.S. and Japan in spring 1999, Global Crossing wasted no
time in attempting to block the consortium’s attempts to
secure a license from the Federal Communications Commission.
The company hired Anne Bingaman, a former assistant attorney
general at the Justice Department and wife of Sen. Jeff
Bingaman (D-N.M.), as their chief lobbyist on the issue.
Between January and June 1999 alone, Global Crossing paid
Bingaman $2.5 million to lobby the issue, according to the
company’s lobbying records.

At the same time, Global Crossing solicited letters of support
from a levy of lawmakers, including Sen. John McCain
(R-Ariz.). In March 1999, the Senate Commerce Committee
chairman wrote the FCC to encourage development of Global
Crossing’s fiber-optic lines and to block the proposed
AT&T/MCI/Sprint consortium. On the last day of that month,
more than 20 employees of Global Crossing, including the
company’s co-chairmen Cook and Gary Winnick, contributed
$30,000 to McCain’s presidential campaign. (To date, McCain is
the Senate’s top recipient of Global Crossing contributions.)
Later that spring, under the threat of an antitrust
investigation, the consortium was forced to scale back its
plans.

However, McCain hasn’t always sided with Global Crossing. In
recent months, the company had been pressing to help NextWave
Telecom, which has been tied up in bankruptcy since 1998,
retain its share of the wireless spectrum. The FCC had planned
to auction off NextWave’s airwaves, since the company had
never paid for the licenses, but when a judge blocked the
agency’s attempts, the FCC last December agreed to settle the
deal by giving NextWave a portion of the proceeds from a
proposed second auction. As a reported investor in NextWave,
Global Crossing stood to benefit to the tune of millions, if
not billions, of dollars, but after lawmakers including McCain
opposed the deal, Congress failed to give its required
approval. (Click here for more info on NextWave.)

======
"Global Crossing: Another Big Donor Heads into Bankruptcy"
<http://www.opensecrets.org/alerts/v6/alertv6_40.asp>

CB

Jan 31, 2002, 10:38:18 AM1/31/02

"listener" <list...@nospamhere.com> wrote in message

> > McAuliffe can't have it both ways. He can't complain about anybody in =
> >the ENRON Collpase of making money while the little guys get screwed, =
> >and then on the other hand be one of the guys doing the cashing in. He =
> >is as guilty of screwing the Global Xing Employees as Ken Lay is as =
> >guilty as screwing the ENRON employees.
> >
> > He should resign immediately if not sooner.=20
>
> OK. Will you say the same of DaddyBush, who also turned $80,000 worth
> of Global Crossing stock into $14.4 million dollars. Can we go back
> and impeach him?

He wasn't in office at the time and you [expletive] know it.

> By the way, jackass, all McAuliffe did was buy low, sell high. As a
> shareholder (not an employee) he, of course, had that right. It's
> called capitalism.

It's called inside favoritism

CB

Jan 31, 2002, 10:40:14 AM1/31/02

"Eelder" <eel...@tampabay.rr.com> wrote in message

> In the last election the GOP got 75 per cent of the dollars that Enron
> contributed to campaigns. Democrat National Committee Chairman Terry
> McAuliffe does not hold office so your comments are irrelevant. The
> dot.com crash occured almost 2 year ago and has nothing to do with
> Enron. Global Crossing just went into bankruptcy so why are you are
> blaming McAuliffe for selling smart. What law has he broken?
>
> You are grasping at straws!

Think association, dimwit. Just like what the RATs are trying to do to W
w/Enron

Musta

Jan 31, 2002, 8:38:30 AM1/31/02

"CB"

> > OK. Will you say the same of DaddyBush, who also turned $80,000 worth
> > of Global Crossing stock into $14.4 million dollars. Can we go back
> > and impeach him?
>
> He wasn't in office at the time and you [expletive] know it.

So your point is he wasn't acting as an elected official at the time. Yor
reasoning points
to a double standard (as usual) being that the DNC is neither.

> > By the way, jackass, all McAuliffe did was buy low, sell high. As a
> > shareholder (not an employee) he, of course, had that right. It's
> > called capitalism.
>
> It's called inside favoritism

Is that worse elitism

--
Imusta

Somebody please inform me of Dolans address so I can send him hate mail

Musta

Musta

Musta

Jan 31, 2002, 8:44:10 AM1/31/02
Yes please think of the association of your argument and see it is not
comparable. Your puzzle pieces are in the wrong box.

--
Imusta

Somebody please inform me of Dolans address so I can send him hate mail

theLorax

Jan 31, 2002, 8:53:38 AM1/31/02
On Thu, 31 Jan 2002 07:40:14 -0800, "CB" <C...@prayforme.com> wrote:

>"Eelder" <eel...@tampabay.rr.com> wrote in message
>> In the last election the GOP got 75 per cent of the dollars that Enron
>> contributed to campaigns. Democrat National Committee Chairman Terry
>> McAuliffe does not hold office so your comments are irrelevant. The
>> dot.com crash occured almost 2 year ago and has nothing to do with
>> Enron. Global Crossing just went into bankruptcy so why are you are
>> blaming McAuliffe for selling smart. What law has he broken?
>>
>> You are grasping at straws!
>
>Think association, dimwit. Just like what the RATs are trying to do to W
>w/Enron

Think association, bigot. Just like what the CONs did with Clinton
and Madison.

--

"It is most fitting that 50,000 liberal New Yorkers died
and less than 100 conservative military personnel.

poetic justice."

~Aaron Kulkis, 9/11/01 referring to the terrorist attacks on that day.

CB

Jan 31, 2002, 9:57:05 AM1/31/02
As wrong as Waxmans witch hunt or attempt to nosebleed Bush because of an
association with Enron's CEO.

Cheap to say the least and the people realize it and Lanny Davis warned
against it. Of course the you dimwits see blood and start a frenzy ending in
a circle jerk. Feeling drained and unsatisfied with your lives.

"Musta" <imusta...@optonline.net> wrote in message

CB

Jan 31, 2002, 9:58:13 AM1/31/02

"theLorax" <theLo...@ihateclowns.com> wrote in message

> On Thu, 31 Jan 2002 07:40:14 -0800, "CB" <C...@prayforme.com> wrote:
>

> >"Eelder" <eel...@tampabay.rr.com> wrote in message
> >> In the last election the GOP got 75 per cent of the dollars that Enron
> >> contributed to campaigns. Democrat National Committee Chairman Terry
> >> McAuliffe does not hold office so your comments are irrelevant. The
> >> dot.com crash occured almost 2 year ago and has nothing to do with
> >> Enron. Global Crossing just went into bankruptcy so why are you are
> >> blaming McAuliffe for selling smart. What law has he broken?
> >>
> >> You are grasping at straws!
> >
> >Think association, dimwit. Just like what the RATs are trying to do to W
> >w/Enron
>
> Think association, bigot. Just like what the CONs did with Clinton
> and Madison.

Clinton brought on his own demise.

bob

Jan 31, 2002, 9:59:21 AM1/31/02

Eelder wrote:

> Democrat National Committee Chairman Terry
> McAuliffe does not hold office so your comments are irrelevant.

Right. He just solicits money from the "evil special interests", finds out
what legislation is important to them, then decides which candidates in the
Democratic party get that money. No influence there at all.

Care to try again?

Bob

Thumper

Jan 31, 2002, 7:36:22 PM1/31/02
On Thu, 31 Jan 2002 09:58:13 -0500, "CB" <c...@prayforme.com> wrote:

>"theLorax" <theLo...@ihateclowns.com> wrote in message
>> On Thu, 31 Jan 2002 07:40:14 -0800, "CB" <C...@prayforme.com> wrote:
>>

>> >"Eelder" <eel...@tampabay.rr.com> wrote in message

>> >Think association, dimwit. Just like what the RATs are trying to do to W
>> >w/Enron
>>
>> Think association, bigot. Just like what the CONs did with Clinton
>> and Madison.
>
>Clinton brought on his own demise.

LIAR!
Thumper

Thom Jeff

Jan 31, 2002, 8:42:25 PM1/31/02
Did Rather ignore former President Bush's involvement, too, CB??

Thom

Ayn R Keey

Feb 1, 2002, 12:48:45 PM2/1/02
"CB" <c...@prayforme.com>
wthinnews:a3blrj$ssp$1...@suaar1aa.prod.compuserve.com:

CB is Global Crossing the best you can do?
It is no more than a tie between the players in
the Two-Party Pigopoly* of our government.

C'mon give us something else.
I want something that can bring out
real and open justified partisan warfare.

International corporations are stealing our freedom,
while the dems and reps engage in a pissing contest,
while secretly taking money by the wheelbarrow load,
enabling their stranglehold upon our polity.

--------
*term courtesy of The Register <http://www.theregister.co.uk/>
---
PIGOPOLY--Register term just entered beta-testing:
n. Market condition formed by several extremely greedy
oligopolists. [cf.]
<http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/6/23906.html>
---
quantum_polity offers a 2nd definfinition for beta test:
PIGOPOLY-- n. oligarchical control of a society through
(a) the deceptive portrayal of limitations
on political choice within the society,
(b) the polarisation of societal members through
cogent mususe of this (a) portrayal
------------------------
------------------------
==================
===========
====
Global Crossing--short contribution FAQ
(courtesy of Open Secrets)

=====
Total CONTRIB. 1998-1992
==========================
Total--------------$3,573,665
From Individuals---$755,166
From Pacs----------$56,200
Soft Money---------$2,762,299
To Dems-----------47%
To Repubs---------53%

<http://www.opensecrets.org/alerts/v6/alertv6_40.asp>

======================

House Recipients of Global Crossing
PAC & Individual Contributions, 1997-2001
<http://www.opensecrets.org/alerts/v6/gc_house.asp>

Senate Recipients of Global Crossing
PAC & Individual Contributions, 1997-2001
<http://www.opensecrets.org/alerts/v6/gc_senate.asp>

"Global Crossing: Another Big Donor Heads into Bankruptcy"
<http://www.opensecrets.org/alerts/v6/alertv6_40.asp>

I call it a tie between
the democratic pigs
and the