Mexican Rebels At Aztec Canals As March Nears End

dkb

Mar 11, 2001, 1:00:33 AM3/11/01
3.01.10

"Lower your voices you men of wealth," said Marcos, ever the poet, smoking
his trademark pipe and wearing military fatigues.

"Lower your voices and listen because now there's another voice that has not
come to steal and to impose itself but something far more serious: to take
its rightful place," said the masked Marcos,

Marcos, a vehement opponent of corporate interests and unfettered
capitalism, led a 10-day armed uprising against the government on Jan. 1,
1994, the same day the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) between
Mexico, Canada and the United States, went into effect.
http://www.reuters.com/news_article.jhtml?type=world&Repository=WORLD_REP&Re
positoryStoryID=%2Fnews%2FIDS%2FWorld%2FINTERNATIONAL-MEXICO-ZAPATISTAS-DC_N
EW.XML

Mexican Rebels at Aztec Canals As March Nears End

Last updated: 11 Mar 2001 00:58 GMT+00:00 (Reuters)

By Elizabeth Fullerton

XOCHIMILCO, Mexico (Reuters) - Zapatista Subcommander Marcos and 23 rebel
leaders were greeted by some 20,000 screaming supporters as they arrived in
Xochimilco on Saturday on the eve of their entry into Mexico City to lobby
for Indian rights.

Rebel groupies, many with body piercings and tattoos and wearing
pro-Zapatista T-shirts, gathered in sweltering heat to welcome the caravan
at its penultimate stop of its 12-state journey.

They gave Marcos and his comrades a two-finger military salute, shouted
their support for the cause and waved huge banners portraying the masked
rebels.

Xochimilco, a Mexican Venice of floating gardens and Aztec Canals on the
outskirts of the capital, was the last stop before Zapatistas march on the
Zocalo, Mexico City's main square, for a historic rally on Sunday.

"Lower your voices you men of wealth," said Marcos, ever the poet, smoking
his trademark pipe and wearing military fatigues.

"Lower your voices and listen because now there's another voice that has not
come to steal and to impose itself but something far more serious: to take
its rightful place," said the masked Marcos,

Marcos, a vehement opponent of corporate interests and unfettered
capitalism, led a 10-day armed uprising against the government on Jan. 1,
1994, the same day the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) between
Mexico, Canada and the United States, went into effect.

The uprising in support of indigenous rights left 200 army and rebel
soldiers dead and subsequent clashes have killed hundreds more but there has
been no major fighting for months.

FOREIGN SUPPORTERS

Growing international support for the Zapatistas and their struggle for the
rights of 10 million indigenous Mexicans was evident during the march.

Foreign supporters, including high-profile individuals like former French
first lady Daniele Mitterrand, have shadowed the Marcos caravan since it
left Chiapas state last month.

"I want to know if the government is offering a future (for indigenous
peoples) for tomorrow, or if they will contrive to keep living in the
present system of neoliberalism," said Mitterrand, who was in Xochimilco.
She was scheduled to meet with Marcos later on Saturday and with Mexican
President Vicente Fox next week.

There was heightened security around the soccer field where the rebels
appeared. Security volunteer Juan Carlos estimated the crowd at nearly
20,000.

The rebels' 15-day trek from the jungles of southern Chiapas will end in
Mexico City's central square, or zocalo, where tens of thousands of people
are expected to congregate for a historic rally on Sunday.

On Saturday, his 100th day in office, Fox welcomed the Zapatistas to the
capital in a radio speech, hailing their peaceful march and the Mexican
peace effort.

"This is the start of the dialogue that all Mexicans have sought," Fox said
on national radio. "The longed-for dialogue that will bring us peace."

The rebels were due to meet with a congressional peace commission on Monday
and have pledged not to leave the city until a bill protecting indigenous
culture and providing greater autonomy is passed.

The bill was proposed by Fox in an effort to meet rebel conditions for
reviving peace talks that stalled in 1996.

Fox and his conservative party took power in December after ousting the
Institutional Revolutionary Party (PRI), which had ruled for 71 years.
Taking steps toward peace in Chiapas was one of Fox's first initiatives as
president.

The president also has invited Marcos to chat with him at his official Los
Pinos residence and said he was open to freeing Zapatista prisoners, thus
fulfilling another of the rebels' conditions for peace.

But Zapatista masked leader Marcos remains antagonistic toward Fox,
prompting concern peace talks could be eclipsed by a battle of egos.

George of the Jungle

Mar 11, 2001, 2:44:13 AM3/11/01
As California residents, you and Brian O'Neill ought to be interested in a
bumper sticker I saw stuck on a rear window the other day: It said "FUCK
YOU, THIS IS STILL MEXICO"

When they come for you swinging their machetes (or brandishing their illegal
Uzi's), just remember, that you asshole democraps supported gun control. I
hear the AZTLAN's don't care what your politics are, all they care is if you
are a gringo or not.

I'll feel your pain -- someday. Maybe.

--

"have a nice day-:) and sieg heil" -- A greeting from "silverfox"
<sil...@virtualrealo.com>, made on 2/12/01, blusterbuss extraordinaire.

Who is now using the email address: F...@Bartelby.com and greets us with:
"Only 15 minutes since I sent my post to the newserver, and already one of
the Fascist bulldogs of USENET is whipping out old issues of Popular
Mechanics for a "cut and snip" masturbation session."

"dkb" <windri...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

King Pineapple

Mar 11, 2001, 8:02:56 AM3/11/01

George of the Jungle <anti...@nospam.forme.edu> wrote in message

> As California residents, you and Brian O'Neill ought to be interested in a
> bumper sticker I saw stuck on a rear window the other day: It said "FUCK
> YOU, THIS IS STILL MEXICO"

dkb is from lalaland? Why am I not surprised?

dkb

Mar 11, 2001, 11:21:45 AM3/11/01
George of the Jungle spewed forth and King PineDork abruptly
stuck his nose up his butt with these words:

>dkb is from lalaland? Why am I not surprised?

Wrong Idiots! California is still a great state that hasn't
been overrun with conservatards, but I don't live there.

And I don't believe in unrestricted immigration which seems
to be a favorite of repugs because it gives them cheap labor.

Why do you feel such an obsessive need to make up lies
and stories Joke of the Jungle?