Wallpaper-sized prints

Richard H.

Sep 11, 2005, 5:26:42 PM9/11/05
Is there a shop that custom-prints wallpaper murals from a digital image
(like 12' tall by 20' wide)? We've been looking at some large-scale
wallpaper murals, and they're pretty slick, but none of them are large
enough for our needs.

At this viewing distance, I know decent resolution is beyond most
cameras (at least anything I'd be buying). I was thinking of scaling
the image up with a decent algorithm and then treating it with an effect
to make it more artsy, and less like an attempt at a life-size photo.

Any pointers to shops?

Thanks,
Richard

Phast1

Sep 11, 2005, 10:40:18 PM9/11/05

"Richard H." <rh...@no.spam> wrote in message

I've thought about doing something along these lines too.
If I were to do this it would obviously be a carefully prepared shot.
I think the best bet would be to do a stitched pano to create the enormous
file, save to dvd, and then find a place where they could print it on a
glued back paper.

I'm not sure how big Photoshop can go in regards to image size (MB's/ppi)
but I'd be
curious to other peoples responses to this thread for sure.

Phast1

Richard H.

Sep 12, 2005, 12:58:25 AM9/12/05
FYI, we've found one shop, which looks very promising. They claim no
size limitations on their output (panelized onto 52" wallpaper strips).
http://www.muralsyourway.com/ For a 12' x 21' "mural", they want
USD$2,000 (painful, but I suppose it's within reason).

Oddly, their FAQ is missing info about output resolution, and what
they'll accept for input (a 6GB JPEG? :-) ). I've got questions in to
them, and I'll share what I find out.

Phast1 wrote:
> I've thought about doing something along these lines too.
> If I were to do this it would obviously be a carefully prepared shot.

They have some interesting shots in their gallery that got me thinking.
(e.g., http://www.muralsyourway.com/myw3_detail.cfm?pid=MMEGJZ2001)
At the size I'm looking, it'll warrant a full-scale project... maybe at
a winery in Napa Valley... yeah, that's the ticket. :-)

> I think the best bet would be to do a stitched pano to create the enormous

> file, save to dvd [...]

Yep. A stitched collection of shots is probably the only way to come
close on resolution. The next challenge is minimizing distortion with
the right lens. And probably a lot of overlap in the shots, to help the
stitching process fix any distortion.

On this scale, a close subject like the example above also raises an
interesting challenge for viewing position and perspective of the shot.
(The target use here is a large wall to one side of an archway.)

> I'm not sure how big Photoshop can go in regards to image size (MB's/ppi)

Hmmm. Yep. That could be an interesting limitation.

Let's see... even 75dpi @ 12 feet (144 inches) by 21 feet (252 inches) =
200+ megapixels. That's gonna be a big file (~5GB uncompressed).

But, methinks even 75dpi is overkill at this size. Working the math
backwards... at a viewing distance of, say 10 feet, does anyone know the
required resolution for "photo quality"? I'm guessing it's in the
<25dpi range...

Richard

Phast1

Sep 12, 2005, 5:05:45 PM9/12/05
Very pricey but very cool. Thanks in advance for posting the info
you aquire.

Phast1

"Richard H." <rh...@no.spam> wrote in message

chri...@gmail.com

Sep 12, 2005, 8:26:10 PM9/12/05
http://homokaasu.org/rasterbator/ this is a cool way to [cheaply] print
large murals. You get what you pay for though :-)

Richard H.

Sep 13, 2005, 12:36:23 PM9/13/05
Phast1 wrote:
> Very pricey but very cool. Thanks in advance for posting the info
> you aquire.

Wow. I'm impressed. I just got off the phone with Kathy there
(866.308.6873), and she had ready answers to every question. Here's the
summary:

* They can output up to 300dpi (!), as long as the input file is large
enough
* 24-bit color depth
* 20yr guarantee against fading (indoors)
* Backing materials are very durable and designed not to stretch or
distort during installation
* They prefer TIFF files for input. She claims they've never had a file
that was too big, and welcomed the idea of a 200MP+ input image.
* They recommend printing at 150 to 200dpi for a 3-5' viewing distance
* They are willing to deduct from the price for irregular unused areas
(large doorways, etc.)

Neat stuff! Are there any other shops that do this?

Back to your point about Photoshop... I wonder if it can stitch and edit
a 6GB image file...

Richard

Phast1

Sep 13, 2005, 5:29:06 PM9/13/05

> Back to your point about Photoshop... I wonder if it can stitch and edit a
> 6GB image file...
>
> Richard

http://www.adobe.com/support/techdocs/320005.html

Photoshop Maximum file sizes:

for .psd : 4GB

for .tiff : 4GB

for .psb : 100GB

The Large Document Format (.PSB) supports documents up to 300,000 pixels in
any dimension. All Photoshop features, such as layers, effects, and filters,
are supported by the PSB format. Currently, if you save a document in PSB
format, it can only be opened in Photoshop CS. Other applications and older
versions of Photoshop cannot open documents saved in PSB format.

To save a document with a file size larger than 2 GB:

Choose File > Save As and choose one of the following file formats:

Large Document Format (PSB)

Supports documents of any pixel size and any file size. All Photoshop
features are preserved in PSB files. Currently, PSB files are only supported
by Photoshop CS. In Preferences under File Handling, the Enable Large
Document Format option must be selected before you can save files in PSB
format.

Phast1

Richard H.

Sep 14, 2005, 3:25:45 PM9/14/05