wu-wo, 無我 what does it mean?

icetea

Aug 1, 2005, 3:47:32 AM8/1/05
i have been to many wu-wo tea ceremonys, and i have seen the word wu
translated many ways, none, no, not, it is sometimes difficult to put a
term to to what appears a simple word.

wu-wo tea ceremony 無我茶會

Wu-Wo, (無我) is a style of Tea Ceremony, (茶會). it is more formal
than a gathering or

party.
"""Grand Master Tsai, Rong Tsang is diretcor of “Lu-Yu Tea The Fine
Arts of Tea Culture

Institute” and the founder of the “Wu-Wo Tea Ceremony” he has
been a crucial part in

the growth of this once small group from Taiwan (twenty-some years
ago)""". “Wu”, and

“Wo”, are Chinese words, philosophical meaning. samarkand said,
wuwo meant selflessnes,

i like that, it is simple but it is correct. some people say noself
but it is hard to

understand the meaning of no-self if one has no clue to begin with.
some people forget that tea has its roots in china. the first
ritualized drinking of tea

lies in china, . while the drinking of tea was considered to be a
common feature in the

lives of chinese buddhist monks, chinese tea is considered to be
primarily a secular

ritual that confirmed the feeling of community important, but the
chinese ritual can be

said to represent the preliminary stage in the total evolution of the
japanese tea

ceremony. the reason today we dont see the ancient chinese tea
ceremonies now, are for

two big reasons, colonialism, cultural revolution. but in taiwan
today, they are seeking

their roots, and reinventing some of the past, and seeking cultural
identity. we are in

the process of writing/translation the wu-wo tea ceremony book, it will
be in english. i

am going to wuyishan also, i just got back to USA we are going to do a
small wu-wo tea

ceremony this month i will post pics. this will be a first timer wu-wo
tea ceremony for

los angeles just a local group. i dont know all the details myself, i
have been busy doing

other things. some one said "sounds like a society (instead of
ceremony), i have heard

before in another group said "they are skeptical of new ceremonies
popping up". i agree to

both. the problem with the ceremony/society/gathering/association, is
translation and

tradition. meaning words when translated, are translated literally or
figuratively.

sometimes a big headache! .
here is a summery on the wu-wo tea ceremony.
-----
The Wu Wo tea ceremony

This is a style of tea ceremony where drinkers bring their own tea sets
and sit in a

circle. When the ceremony starts, everyone makes tea using the tea
leaves he has brought..

If 4 cups of tea are required, three of the cups will be served to the
three poeple on

your left and the last cup will be reserved for yourself . when the tea
has been drunk, a

second infusion will follow. After completing the required number of
infusions, gather

your own cups and pack up your tea sets. It has come to an end.

This is a ceremony where everyone makes serves and drinks tea. as
seating is decided by a

random draw. no one knows beforehand who he will serve tea to or whose
tea he will be

served. This tea ceremony has 7 principles.

1. here is no distinction of social rank

2. There are no expectations of a reward

3. Keep an open mind

4. Adopt a postiive attitude, striving constantly to improve

5. Abide by the rules and the arranged scehdule.

6. Cultivate cooperation

7. There is no differences in sect or region.
Late arrivals are strictly not tolerated.
Wu Wo literally translated means Without self. it is a Buddhist
concept, where one who

reaches nirvana will not exist in the physical plane anymore.
---
take care.
whats your take on wu-wo?
http://teaarts.blogspot.com/
icetea........

{:-])))

Aug 1, 2005, 9:33:49 AM8/1/05
"icetea" <sher...@yahoo.ca> wrote:

>take care.
>whats your take on wu-wo?
>http://teaarts.blogspot.com/
>icetea........

looks and sounds
like a fun time.

good luck!

shazi

Aug 1, 2005, 10:10:58 AM8/1/05
icetea wrote:
> i have been to many wu-wo tea ceremonies,

> and i have seen the word wu translated
> many ways, none, no, not, it is sometimes
> difficult to put a term to to what appears
> a simple word.
>
> wu-wo tea ceremony 無我茶會

> “Wo”, are Chinese words, philosophical
> meaning. samarkand said,
> wuwo meant selflessness,

wo is not exactly 'self',
self is often from shen/body
wo is "I", "We", "Our"
just like "ego" is greek for "I"
wo is chinese for the same thing
it might be better said,
'without ego'.

> This tea ceremony has 7 principles.
> 1. here is no distinction of social rank
> 2. There are no expectations of a reward
> 3. Keep an open mind
> 4. Adopt a postiive attitude, striving constantly to improve
> 5. Abide by the rules and the arranged scehdule.
> 6. Cultivate cooperation
> 7. There is no differences in sect or region.

neat.

> Wu Wo literally translated means
> Without self. it is a Buddhist
> concept, where one who reaches
> nirvana will not exist in the
> physical plane anymore.

such concepts have limited application
to a daoist philosophy more concerned
with the here and now rather than
an abstract end state of nirvana.

-shazi

stumper

Aug 1, 2005, 11:26:13 AM8/1/05

Just drink you tea.

BTW,
don't forget to serve
three people on your left first.

Wait, who's left?

--
~Stumper

r_d

Aug 1, 2005, 9:32:37 AM8/1/05
hey you- humans like clubs. i, myself, like music and photography and
writing.

not much to do with spirit

but enjoyable as it is

if we are to defend the position that Dao is with the virtuous and unvirtous
alike, then surely a tea ceremony is innocently in the middle.

at least one person is finding an interest in spirit though tea ceremony, so
it is so bad, for him? perhaps he is the world-honoured-sage of the future!

[cheers]

[r_d}

{:-])))

Aug 1, 2005, 9:10:31 PM8/1/05
stumper stopped and asked:

>Wait, who's left?

Those who think they are right
most likely are actually left.

stumper

Aug 1, 2005, 10:27:44 PM8/1/05

Sorry, I meant "whose left"?

I must be learning your way of spelling.

--
~Stumper

icetea

Aug 8, 2005, 2:37:13 AM8/8/05
shazi said-- ''wo is chinese for the same thing

it might be better said,
'without ego'. ''--
its all in how we take the definition, i have used this before,
'without ego' or 'egoless', we are preparing to do a wu-wo tea ceremony
in los angeles the week of the 15th and another the next week this will
be a first for them. its going to only be a few tea brewers it will be
at a temple, and anyone can come and try the tea, hey its free, if
anyone is in la come over and check it out no fee, i also have put up a
little about the group on the homepage ,
http://teaarts.blogspot.com/, i myself spend about have a year in the
usa and half in asia.
icetea

shazi