Christmas - a matter of Life or death!

Vince Clause

Dec 23, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/23/97

Christmas, as a matter of Life or death!

This month much of the world celebrates the holiday named
Christmas, the celebration of Christ's birth. The birth of a giver of LIFE
to all of humanity. Yet, I perceive something terribly wrong with the
picture. Let me explain.

Of all the holidays observed across the multitude of cultures
today, Christmas is by far the most celebrated in magnitude and
duration. Its spiritual significance is only matched by Easter in the
Christian world. Its speaks of birth, LIFE and creation more than any
other day of the calendar year. Yet it is surrounded by death and
destruction.

Hundreds of millions of trees are harvested each year, to be
decorated for the celebration. Is there any other one singular event that
can make such an annual claim? Fuel is used to transport these trees,
and electricity is used to light them. More fuel and space are used to
dispose of them.

Its not just the trees though. Its also all of the plastic and
overpackaged presents surrounded by giftwrap. The gifts themselves
often are plastic and poorly made. Many are imported, and made with
the hands of little more than slave labor. Many are representative of
vanity and excess.

For weeks people pack into their automobiles, rush to the
malls, sit in traffic for extendend periods of time, all to spend hard
earned cash(sometimes thousands of dollars of it) on things like talking
Sesame Street dolls. The hustle and bustle, the stress and agravation
of the hurried shopping, the strain of unmet holiday expectaions, is this
life or is it death that we are working ourselves up to each year.

Could a more wastful stressful way of doing this celebrating be
designed by intention? Not likely. Could a more vibrant lively
wholesome celebration be imagined. Yes it can.

I am not against Christmas by any means, I am a believer
myself. I just think that the way we go about it today could use a little
revising. There have to be some ecosafe alternatives that we could
incorporate into our celebrations of LIFE. Not finding these
alternatives and not adapting our ways to the "current of life" on this
planet is an injustice and an irony that must be stopped.

This New Year that approachs gives us a new opportunity to
stand up for LIFE, justice, and truth. I hope that we make real
progress on these fronts, as opposed to the usual rhetorical ones
that many are satisfied operating within on the Net.

Merry Christmas, Think Green, Be Positive!

Regards,
Vince Clause
Inventor/Entrepreneur/Naturalist/Netitor
Personal Homepage http://www.ecosafe.com/personal/vince/

.

.

.

year, presents, gifts, trees, less, stuff, birth, Jesus, Christ, Bethlehem,
Angels, Savior, consumers, Life, death, buy, shop, sell, stores,
christmas, holidays, joy, happiness, peace, serinity, consumerism,
materialism, atheism, holy night, jungle bells, rudolph, santa claus,
North Pole, sleigh.

Bob O`Brien

Dec 23, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/23/97

In article <34A034...@ecosafe.com>,

Vince Clause <Vince...@ecosafe.com> wrote:
>Christmas, as a matter of Life or death!

[thinly-veiled commercial posting snipped]

You know, even _you_ could be more green. Well, grene, anyway.

I'd prefer it if you'd choose the Hutchence method,
but tourniquets on your typing fingers should suffice.

Bob O`Bob
--
Caution: usage at distances less than three feet
may cause injury to soft body tissue.

Julian Macassey

Dec 23, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/23/97

In article <34A034...@ecosafe.com>,
Vince Clause <Vince...@ecosafe.com> wrote:
>Christmas, as a matter of Life or death!
>

> This month much of the world celebrates the holiday named
>Christmas, the celebration of Christ's birth. The birth of a giver of LIFE
>to all of humanity. Yet, I perceive something terribly wrong with the
>picture. Let me explain.

It is Chrissy time and I am full of good cheer so my
response will be friendly and brief:

Fuck off and die.

--
Julian Macassey 920.208.8051

Pink Boy

Dec 24, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/24/97

hu...@axalotl.demon.co.uk (Hugh Davies) writes:

>In article <34A034...@ecosafe.com>, Vince Clause <Vince...@ecosafe.com> writes:

>>Christmas, as a matter of Life or death!

>Drop dead.

>Make sure your corpse doesn't get in anyone's way.

Dibs on his kidneys.

Mr Foo

Charlie Stross

Dec 24, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/24/97

On Tue, 23 Dec 1997 17:02:37 -0500, Vince
Clause <Vince...@ecosafe.com> wrote:

>Christmas, as a matter of Life or death!

Fuck off, Christian scum, before we feed you to the lions.

ObPeeve: Christmas, in all its ugly manifestations. Starting with the way
the early Church ripped off the old pagan winter solstice celebrations --
FLAY that reindeer, FEED it those 'shrooms, DRINK its' halucinogenic piss! --
and bowdlerised it for their own purposes. Following with the way the
Victorians neutered it, turning it into the nineteenth century equivalent
of fluffy chakra new-age crystal feelgood foo-foo. And capped with the
abomination upon the altar of Mammon which is the December shopping season.
I HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE ... 'scuse me, needle got stuck there
for a moment ... HATE it! Words are inadequate to express the sour bile that
wells up in the back of my throat at the mere THOUGHT of Christmas. (Move over,
Grinch.)

?Peeve: I'm alone in the office. Laibach cranking out at full volume on the
speakers. No worries about being interrupted by phone calls. Peeving. And
due to go home early, get steaming drunk and stoned, and then ... who knows?

-- Charlie

Michael S. Zraly

Dec 24, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/24/97

In article <34A034...@ecosafe.com>,

Vince Clause <Vince...@ecosafe.com> wrote:
>Christmas, as a matter of Life or death!
>[...]

ObSNL: A. Whitney Brown said it better.

--
Mike Zraly For four fifths of our history our
mzr...@mit.edu planet was populated by pond scum.

Vince Clause

Dec 24, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/24/97

Julian Macassey wrote:

> In article <34A034...@ecosafe.com>,
> Vince Clause <Vince...@ecosafe.com> wrote:
> >Christmas, as a matter of Life or death!
> >

> > This month much of the world celebrates the holiday named
> >Christmas, the celebration of Christ's birth. The birth of a giver of LIFE
> >to all of humanity. Yet, I perceive something terribly wrong with the
> >picture. Let me explain.
>
> It is Chrissy time and I am full of good cheer so my
> response will be friendly and brief:
>
> Fuck off and die.
>
> --
> Julian Macassey 920.208.8051

Julian,

May the peace and love of Christ one day penetrate your
Neanderthal like skull. Life really does not have to be so angering!
--

Regards,
Vince Clause

President - V R C Enterprises Inc. - A Leader In Innovation
http://www.ecosafe.com/ecosafe/

Presenting:

The ECOSAFE Channel, our virtual brain child
http://www.ecosafe.com

And the BURN TEST Homepage - Innovation/Danger/Intrigue
http://www.burntest.com

And the ecosafe-l mail list, a place for the frank discussion
of GREEN products and others mislabeled as such. WYSIWYG interface.
http://www.ecosafe.com/maillist.htm

DARE TO BE DIFFERENT, DARE TO DREAM!

Vince Clause

Dec 24, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/24/97

Bob O`Brien wrote:

> In article <34A034...@ecosafe.com>,
> Vince Clause <Vince...@ecosafe.com> wrote:
> >Christmas, as a matter of Life or death!
> >
> [thinly-veiled commercial posting snipped]
> <<SNIP>>

> Bob O`Bob

Bob,

Had this been a commercial posting as you have stated, I would have
included my entire e-bill as it sits below. Instead, I only put a link
to my private homepage in the original. This is because it was a
personal posting about a matter that is of great concern to me, a peeve.
Is this not what this list is for?

Vince Clause

Dec 24, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/24/97

Charlie Stross wrote:

> On Tue, 23 Dec 1997 17:02:37 -0500, Vince

> Clause <Vince...@ecosafe.com> wrote:
>
> >Christmas, as a matter of Life or death!
>
> Fuck off, Christian scum, before we feed you to the lions.
>
> ObPeeve: Christmas, in all its ugly manifestations. Starting with the way
> the early Church ripped off the old pagan winter solstice celebrations --
> FLAY that reindeer, FEED it those 'shrooms, DRINK its' halucinogenic piss! --
> and bowdlerised it for their own purposes. Following with the way the
> Victorians neutered it, turning it into the nineteenth century equivalent
> of fluffy chakra new-age crystal feelgood foo-foo. And capped with the
> abomination upon the altar of Mammon which is the December shopping season.
> I HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE ... 'scuse me, needle got stuck there
> for a moment ... HATE it! Words are inadequate to express the sour bile that
> wells up in the back of my throat at the mere THOUGHT of Christmas. (Move over,
> Grinch.)
>
> ?Peeve: I'm alone in the office. Laibach cranking out at full volume on the
> speakers. No worries about being interrupted by phone calls. Peeving. And
> due to go home early, get steaming drunk and stoned, and then ... who knows?
>
> -- Charlie

Charlie,

Is there possibly a bright side to your opinion that you may have forgot
to include? Oh, I guess that spark I saw was from somebody turning out
the lights in your brain. Possibly you are less agitated by New Years.

Happy New Year then, and remember, even the grinch could not succeed in
stealing the true spirit of the Holiday we call Christmas.

Jym Dyer

Dec 24, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/24/97

=o= Here in Pittsburgh, PA, we've been having ourselves a
Christmas miracle. Numerous Baby Jesii have been ascending
from their front yard nativity scenes.

=o= They were later found in the back of some guy's truck.

ObPeeve: Pittsburgh

<_Jym_>

Julian Macassey

Dec 24, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/24/97

In article <34A10A...@ecosafe.com>,
Vince Clause <Vince...@ecosafe.com> wrote:
>Julian Macassey wrote:
>>

>> Fuck off and die.

>Julian,
>
>May the peace and love of Christ one day penetrate your
>Neanderthal like skull. Life really does not have to be so angering!

Moi a Neanderthal? Sure, a primitive that can use an
editor and understands what makes the world work.

I was nice to you, you in your continuing cluelessness,
followed up, without deleting any text.

Talking of penetration. I hope the glass encrusted clue
dildo penetrates your anal sphincter.

When it does, you will feel better and I will feel
better.

Now be a good child and follow my friendly advice:

E M Richards

Dec 24, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/24/97

In article <Jym.yc767...@igc.org>, Jym Dyer <j...@igc.org> wrote:
>=o= Here in Pittsburgh, PA, we've been having ourselves a

Pittsburgh?

Usually, I just get coal in my stocking. What the hell did you do
this year?

E "Enquiring Minds Need To Know" R

Rev. Feorag NicBhride

Dec 24, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/24/97

<!--
Sanity Clause<Vince...@ecosafe.com> wrote (in article
<34A10C...@ecosafe.com>):

>the lights in your brain. Possibly you are less agitated by New Years.

Of course this is the fucking case. He's in fucking *Scotland* you fucking
moron. If you'd fucking lurked before you posted your fucking nonsense to
this fucking newsgroup you'd have fucking noticed this.

Fuckwit. Do as Julian says and fuck off and die.

ObPeeve: Edinburgh council have noticed that people in Scotland tend to
get drunk and fall over a little at Hogmanay. Their bright idea? Tickets
for admission to the city centre. Needless to say, Glasgow have made use
of this to publicise their own festivities (which are sponsored by Coca
Cola, which is something which is only likely to be drunk at that time
mixed with vodka or 'Merkin whisky).

!Peeve: my usual spot for toasting in the new year is not in the Forbidden
Zone, so I'll be up there with a supply of something single malt-ish
getting a better view of the festivities than anyone else. I can even get
to my favourite drinking establishment beforehand.

bb
Feorag
(who has ensured that there are adequate stocks of beer, both home-made
and stuff from Oddbins, lots of lotus paste buns, ingredients for butter
pies, and other essentials to endure we don't wither away. I've managed
to forget to stock up on non-alcoholic drink though.)

-->
feorag at nospam.antipope.org "Bung some barley-sugar in hot water, spice
it up with a close relative of cannabis, and
*** allow it to go mouldy. Drink the result."

Charlie Stross

Dec 24, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/24/97

Vince Clause<Vince...@ecosafe.com> wrote
(in article <34A10C...@ecosafe.com>):

>Is there possibly a bright side to your opinion that you may have forgot
>to include?

Yes. You're here, to give us festive cheer, raw hide, and bloody bones
to pick our teeth with. (Yes, this is alt.peeves I'm posting in. What
did you think it was -- alt.sweetness-and-fucking-light?)

>Oh, I guess that spark I saw was from somebody turning out

>the lights in your brain. Possibly you are less agitated by New Years.

No; I don't like New Years either. Comes of growing up Jewish, with parents
whose idea of how to deal with Rosh Hashana was three hours in synagogue
the evening before and the same again after breakfast.

Your getting on my tits, twinkletoes. Get the fuck off, before I am
forced to impale you on the blood-stained ampalang of enlightenment.

>Happy New Year then, and remember, even the grinch could not succeed in
>stealing the true spirit of the Holiday we call Christmas.

There's always time for a re-try ...

-- Charlie

"I should not allow any child entrusted to my care to be adopted by a
woman who has had an abortion or used contraception. Such a woman is
incapable of love."
-- Mother Teresa, demonstrating her warmth and understanding

>> To reply: remove NOSPAM and anagrams, or see http://www.antipope.org/ <<

Geoff Miller

Dec 24, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/24/97

Revealing himself as your basic Puling Leftist Shithead, Vince Clause
<Vince...@ecosafe.com> whines:
^^^^^^^

(Jesus. Even his e-mail address makes me want to give him a wedgie.)

> Of all the holidays observed across the multitude of cultures
> today, Christmas is by far the most celebrated in magnitude and
> duration.

Even more so than Ramadan? Uh-huh...

> Hundreds of millions of trees are harvested each year, to be
> decorated for the celebration.

The overwhelming majority of which are grown on tree farms, since
that's the most efficient way of producing them for sale. Economy
of scale, and all that -- stuff that commies like you, with your
vague grasp of economics, never seem to understand very well. Tell
me, do you also mourn for wheat? "Mourn," hell; you probably wear
one of those trendy, stupid little ribbons.

Personally, I wear a brown ribbon. I do so in solemn remembrance
of all the skidmarks that died while being washed out of my BVDs.

> Fuel is used to transport these trees, and electricity is used to
> light them. More fuel and space are used to dispose of them.

Tough titty. We as a society long ago decided that that's how we want
to do things. It seems you were outvoted. Ain't democracy grand?

If you don't like it, then move someplace where Christmas isn't nearly
as popular. (Don't forget your battery of inoculations before the door
hits you on the ass on your way out Ghod only knows what microorganisms
those pastoral paradises have lined up for your enjoyment.)

> Its not just the trees though. Its also all of the plastic and
> overpackaged presents surrounded by giftwrap.

Tell me, what criteria do you use to determine the proper amount of
packaging? Are they dependent at all on the sort of product in
question? And do they take into account the need for transporting
and displaying the items? If not, then _why_ not?

> The gifts themselves often are plastic and poorly made.

That's a pretty sweeping generalization, addressing as it does an
enormous class like "Christmas gifts." I mean, yike-o-rama.

> Many are imported, and made with the hands of little more than
> slave labor.

Where do you draw the line between "slave labor" and "little more
than slave labor?" And as long as genuine slave labor isn't involved,
isn't that enough? If not, then _why_ not? And at any rate, isn't
having a job -- _any_ job, even a low-paying one -- better than
starving? And if these are illiterate peasants we're talking about,
what makes you think they're entitled to anything better? Is it not
the responsibility of their own respective governments to put literacy
programs into place? How did this ever get to be _my_ problem, anyway?

> Many are representative of vanity and excess.

As defined by whom?

> For weeks people pack into their automobiles, rush to the malls, sit
> in traffic for extendend periods of time, all to spend hard earned
> cash(sometimes thousands of dollars of it) on things like talking
> Sesame Street dolls.

That's their decision, and making that decision, or not, is their
privilege and theirs alone. Personally, I think they're stupid; I
just pick up the phone (with the hand that's not holding the pint
glass) and dial the friendly folks at places like L.L. Bean. A few
days later, I get a call from the receptionist telling me there's
a package waiting in the lobby. Big deal.

Fighting the crowds at the malls, any more than is absolutely necessary
(and granted, a certain amount of that is unavoidable), is stupid. But
people have the right to make less-than-optimal judgment calls where
their own lifestyles are concerned. Don't you libbies just _hate_ it
when people exercise their right to choose, but choose differently than
you would? _Ooooh_, I bet that pisses you off!

> The hustle and bustle, the stress and agravation of the hurried
> shopping, the strain of unmet holiday expectaions, is this life
> or is it death that we are working ourselves up to each year.

It involves motion and activity, it's ipso facto a part of life. If it
were death, we'd all just sort of _lie_ there. Besides, like that old
joke about hitting your head against a brick wall, it feels so good
when it's all over. Quite honestly, as much grumbling as I do while
I'm preparing for Christmas, I almost think the sense of relaxation
and accomplishment that comes when I'm finished, and I sit back with
that mug of eggnog (like right now, in fact) waiting for the holiday
proper to arrive, almost makes the rest of it worthwhile.

> Could a more vibrant lively wholesome celebration be imagined. Yes
> it can.

I'm instantly suspicious whenever anyone uses the word "wholesome."
They always have an agenda.

> There have to be some ecosafe alternatives that we could incorporate
> into our celebrations of LIFE.

Re-read the above, and substitute "eco-anything" for "wholesome."

> Not finding these alternatives and not adapting our ways to the
> "current of life" on this planet is an injustice and an irony that
> must be stopped.

Same thing with "planet," when the word is used by anyone except an
astronomer.

> This New Year that approachs gives us a new opportunity to stand up
> for LIFE, justice, and truth.

Fuckin' A, bubba. Let's go nuke the ragheads!

> Merry Christmas, Think Green, Be Positive!

Blow me.

Off to dump my used motor oil into the storm drain,
I remain,
Geoff

--
"There are two advantages men have over women: They can piss standing up,
and they can fuck dead people."

Geoff Miller

Dec 24, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/24/97

Vince Clause <Vince...@ecosafe.com> writes:

> This is because it was a personal posting about a matter
> that is of great concern to me, a peeve. Is this not what
> this list is for?

Sure, but you're still a weenie.

Geoff "And it's a _newsgroup_, not a 'list'" Miller

Geoff Miller

Dec 24, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/24/97

Jym Dyer <j...@igc.org> writes:

> =o= Here in Pittsburgh, PA, we've been having ourselves a

> Christmas miracle. Numerous Baby Jesii have been ascending
> from their front yard nativity scenes.

Anybody seen Hillman lately?

Geoff

Olawanji Shausha

Dec 24, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/24/97

In article <34A034...@ecosafe.com>, Vince Clause <Vince...@ecosafe.com> wrote:

>Christmas, as a matter of Life or death!

[yaddida yaddida]

It always has been, cumtwat. The shortest day always was associated
with life and death for millennia before some yid kid got hung out to
dry. The myths are all there for anyone with a perceptive mind to see.

Now "bend and spread" as we say in peeves, and take it like a man.

Olawanji Shausha

Dec 24, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/24/97

In article <slrn6a2ol3...@antipope.demon.co.uk>, feorag wrote:

[royal toasting of Vinnieclaws]

>bb
>Feorag
>(who has ensured that there are adequate stocks of beer, both home-made
>and stuff from Oddbins, lots of lotus paste buns, ingredients for butter
>pies, and other essentials to endure we don't wither away. I've managed
>to forget to stock up on non-alcoholic drink though.)

Pity, that last bit. Otherwise, guid shew.

Olawanji Shausha

Dec 24, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/24/97

In article <ELp4...@world.std.com>, mzr...@world.std.com (Michael S. Zraly) wrote:

[in re. Vinnieclaws]

>ObSNL: A. Whitney Brown said it better.

I saw him and his Wonder Dog, Brownie, live at San Francisco's
Cannery many years before he hit TeeVee, and I still wonder when
he's going to be *The* Whitney Brown.

E M Richards

Dec 25, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/25/97

In article <geoffmEL...@netcom.com>,

Geoff Miller <geo...@netcom.com> wrote:

>Jym Dyer <j...@igc.org> writes:
>
>> =o= Here in Pittsburgh, PA, we've been having ourselves a
>> Christmas miracle. Numerous Baby Jesii have been ascending
>> from their front yard nativity scenes.
>

>Anybody seen Hillman lately?

I think Jym said some guy loaded them in his truck, not inventoried
them in his Palm Pilot.

Roger Lee

Dec 25, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/25/97

In article <geoffmEL...@netcom.com>,
Geoff Miller <geo...@netcom.com> wrote:

>Anybody seen Hillman lately?

Last I saw he was in ButtPlug TX or some such place like that.

Julian Macassey

Dec 25, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/25/97

In article <geoffmE...@netcom.com>,

Geoff Miller <geo...@netcom.com> wrote:
>Off to dump my used motor oil into the storm drain,

Where else should it be?

It came from the earth. In order to do the ying/yang
thingy and keep the earth in balance, that is where it should be
returned to.

Seeing as so much oil comes from the ocean, why not send
it back there.

For me, it's just throwing more Yule logs on the fire, a
few glasses of sherry and promise to do more for global warming
next year.

--
Julian Macassey 920.208.8051

Rev. Feorag NicBhride

Dec 25, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/25/97

<!--
Olawanji Shausha<mand...@pacbell.net> wrote (in article
<67s656$bc_...@news.pacbell.net>):

>>to forget to stock up on non-alcoholic drink though.)
>
>Pity, that last bit. Otherwise, guid shew.

It's not too serious. We have half a bottle of Irn Bru and half a carton
of mixed fruit juice. If that doesn't last, the water in the taps here is
perfectly drinkable and the Chinese take away round the corner is open
today anyway, so we can always get more Irn Bru. Plus, we have adequate
supplies of drinking chocolate.

!peeve: breakfast today was a selection of Belgian chocolates and a big
mug of extra-rich cocoa. Charlie doesn't know it yet, but I fancy the
butter pies (which he makes better than I do) for tea. I've made his life
easier in that respect--I got some pre-made, ready-rolled pastry in. I'll
just go and defrost it...

bb
Feorag

Notorious P.I.G.

Dec 25, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/25/97

In article <67tgbj$3...@newsops.execpc.com> jul...@bongo.tele.com (Julian Macassey) writes:
>In article <geoffmE...@netcom.com>,
>Geoff Miller <geo...@netcom.com> wrote:
>>Off to dump my used motor oil into the storm drain,
> For me, it's just throwing more Yule logs on the fire, a
>few glasses of sherry and promise to do more for global warming
>next year.

You got off easy. I have this brand new fuckin' stereo that holds
51 (count 'em, 51!!) CDs, and will probably take the assistance of
an airline pilot to hook up. Gin's mom, probably after collaborating
with her wicked daughter, bought me a Gelato making machine. Now, what
the fuck is Gelato? I thought that was Pinnochio's father. Turns out
to be an Eye-Talian form of ice cream, though you can use 'Merkin
ingredients to make it.

!Peeve: Supertramp's 'Crime of the Century,' perhaps the only serious
contribution that they ever made to the music world, before they went
all commercial and predictable.

Peeve: My Ginny left the top tarp off of the woodpile, rendering the
wood underneath unusable for the foreseeable future, so the Pacific Gas
and Electric Company will be keeping my ragged ass warm for the week
that Babycakes is out of town, unless I can beg a few sticks of my
neighbor's oak pile. Kindling is in abundance, though, as the recent
windstorms have peppered the ground with tiny, dry twigs, which is a peeve
wound around a !peeve.

Peeve: Tomorrow, I hafta go back to school, as the course dictates that
we have to be back the days after Xmas and New Year's Day, even though those
extra days fall on Friday. Saturday will be spent having blood drawn for
my quarterly check.

!Peeve: Big Walter and his raspy ol' lady are snoring in the background,
after dropping in for their twice or thrice yearly visits to the homestead.

"Where's Ginny?" She's at her mom's, like she is every year at this time,
you big dumb fucker! Happily, he brought a 1.75 litre bottle of Stoli,
which we took a serious dent out of after he got here about 11:30 last night.

Walter makes the best fuckin' fluffy omelettes you ever saw, and as soon as
he drags his ass off the couch, I'm gonna put him to work. I've got shrimp
and bacon and avocados and green onions and all sorts of other omelette
shit stored in the Xmas larder, and even a can of no-beans chili,should that
get the BigMan's attention.

Colleen, his ol' lady, is useless as a cook, but she's always happy to
contribute as a dishwasher and general washer-upper, and I'm fortunate to
have two stout people to share my Christmas morning.

Peeve: Can somebody please explain to me how three people can generate a
whole load of dishes in a mere hour and a half that was mostly spent in
drinking and talking? I've got an overflowing dishpan, but dint serve no
food, and poured only drinks.

Whatever you're doing, I hope you enjoy the day. All of you. While you may
not relate to Xmas for the religious aspect, it *is* a day off, and a good
chance to hook up with old friends. Plus, you get free stuff, if you discount
the money you spend buying gifts for people that you couldn't care less if
they popped an artery in their cranium on the morrow and died.

ObDean: May you spend Christmas morning, thrashing and screaming, in a
burning automobile. My good will only extends so far, and it ain't reached
the rock that you live under.

VJ

"Don't arrange to have me sent to no asylum
I'm just as sane as anyone,
It's just a game I play for fun."

*Supertramp, Crime of the Century*

Dirt Devil

Dec 26, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/26/97

Julian Macassey <jul...@bongo.tele.com> wrote:

> For me, it's just throwing more Yule logs on the fire, a
>few glasses of sherry and promise to do more for global warming
>next year.

Next year my ass! Do it now! It's damned cold and we could really
use a bit of warmth.

What are ya -- some damned eco-freak-tree-hugger?

--
Do not underestimate your abilities. That is your boss's job.
It is your job to find ways around your boss's roadblocks.

James Lloyd Hill

Dec 26, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/26/97

In article <pigfaceE...@netcom.com>,
Notorious P.I.G. <pig...@netcom.com> wrote about his

>Gelato making machine. Now, what the fuck is Gelato?

Wudn' that Hitler's secret police?

Jim "Nacht, Nebel, und Rocky-road"
--
j-h...@ews.uiuc.edu http://www.swcp.com/~jimhill/
"Shut up, listen, and learn: If you were in my toilet, I wouldn't flush

Notorious P.I.G.

Dec 26, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/26/97

In article <67v2cg$g...@news.scruz.net> gl...@armory.com (Dirt Devil) writes:
>What are ya -- some damned eco-freak-tree-hugger?

Much like your dick, your memory is rawther short. The deer sausage at
Larry's house was lovingly killed to death by our very own BritGit, and
for those not in attendance, it was right fuckin' tasty.

Got a Christmas Day call from Julian, and it was one of the high spots
of the day. One amongst many.

Welp, off to the doctor's...

VJ

Dirt Devil

Dec 26, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/26/97

In article <pigfaceE...@netcom.com>,

Notorious P.I.G. <pig...@netcom.com> wrote:

>Much like your dick, your memory is rawther short. The deer sausage at
>Larry's house was lovingly killed to death by our very own BritGit, and
>for those not in attendance, it was right fuckin' tasty.

Oh, man! I didn't know that it was *deer* sausage. I never got
around to trying it. I saw some people eating some kinda something,
but didn't see it out on the table when I was over scarfing up my FREE
EATS.

Had I known that it was deer sausage AND was run through Julians own
chopper/shreder, I would have gone on a hunting expidition to find the
source. I have never even eaten venison[1].

>Got a Christmas Day call from Julian, and it was one of the high spots
>of the day. One amongst many.

Damn -- he didn't call *me*. Guess that means that he doesn't love me
anymore.

Peeve: I was just sitting here in my best gold lame' dress, waiting
for his call. I was prepared for him to ask "And what are you
wearing?"

[1] Not for lack of desire. Just never had the opportunity.

Angus McIntyre

Dec 26, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/26/97

geo...@netcom.com (Geoff Miller) wrote:

>Revealing himself as your basic Puling Leftist Shithead, Vince Clause
><Vince...@ecosafe.com> whines:
> ^^^^^^^

>> Of all the holidays observed across the multitude of cultures

>> today, Christmas is by far the most celebrated ...

>Even more so than Ramadan? Uh-huh...

Puling shithead the man may be, but he could be right about Christmas.
After all Christmas is celebrated by large numbers of folk to whom
Xtianity means little or nothing. I haven't seen any corresponding rush
towards vicarious celebration of Ramadan, which tends to remain the
province of the faithful. Christmas is largely seen as an excuse to eat
and drink too much and to get given nice things by all your wealthier
and more generous relatives, while Ramadan simply involves praying a
lot, walking round in a bad temper with a growling stomach all day, and
finally getting to eat in the dark. This being the case, it's not hard
to see why Christmas is more popular. Certain things have an, uh,
universal appeal. Looks like the Prophet (peace be upon him) missed a
bet here.

Of course, we could always celebrate Ramadan Algerian-style, which is to
say by leaving car bombs in busy marketplaces, descending on our
neighbours with felling axes, looting their stereos and leaving their
severed limbs pinned to the rafters. I'm sure we'd all agree that this
kind of activity speaks to us all at a much more basic level than this
namby-pamby shit with angels and mangers and fat gnomes in red suits; it
wouldn't take much marketing and PR work for it to overtake Christmas
completely as our number one holiday.

[ ... EcoSafe's "Gosh isn't Christmas bad for the
environment " spiel tenderly snipped ... ]

Oh for God's sake. Every single economic and social activity we indulge
in is one giant ass-fuck for the poor ickle planet. You want to take up
an eco-cause? Go wait for Al Gore at the airport as he bounces back
grinning from Kyoto, waving a piece of paper that licenses American
industry to dump crud into the atmosphere unpunished for the next thirty
years. Christmas is merely the bursting of one minor pustule on the
chancred face of humanity's relationship with nature. Singling out
Christmas for special treatment is like getting your knickers in a bunch
about whether your can of tuna is dolphin-friendly or not. It's feelgood
tokenism that makes matters worse by allowing the weak-minded to imagine
that they've actually changed anything or achieved something.

>> Could a more vibrant lively wholesome celebration be imagined. Yes
>> it can.

Uh-oh, I was afraid we were leading up to that.

In answer to your question, yes, I too can imagine a "more vibrant,
lively, wholesome celebration". Specifically, I can imagine *your* idea
of a 'vibrant lively wholesome celebration'. Which is to say something
as bloodless, non-denominational, calculatedly-inoffensive and
lacklustre as all the other artificial holidays that have been invented
for us by the white-eyed zombies of the PC movement.

You cannot *invent* celebrations. At best you can pervert them to your
own ends, as the example of Christmas shows. But to create a rite that
will actually grab people's imagination takes a mad poet working with
the base material of human consciousness.

And what is that base material? Fear, primarily. We are in the depths of
winter, and the sun Might Not Be Coming Back. This might be the end.
This time around the shadows might continue to deepen, the snow might
continue to fall soundlessly, the wind might rise forever, while the
roots of all living things blacken and die in the frozen fields. The
wolves howl in the treeline, and the birds fall lifeless on the
iron-hard earth. Fimbulwinter. The end of all things. Finis.

Which is why this time of the year is the time of orgies. Of excess. The
Midwinter festival is older than Saturnalia, it's many times older than
that cute little fairy tale about the shepherds and the stable.
Christianity merely set up its stall on the vacant lot where the rites
had always been held in the past. It's the time when the King of the
Waxing Year takes over from the King of the Waning Year - if we're
lucky. And so we cling to each other in superstitious fear, we try to
kindle a light of human warmth and need in the depths of the darkness in
the hope that, by sympathetic magic, we might somehow conjure the sun
back into being.

I have a warm, loving and generous family. Are my happiest Christmas
memories of sitting beneath the tree, exchanging presents with the
people I love the best? No, the best Christmas I ever had was the one
when I spent three days blitzed out of my mind on eggnog and
testosterone, trying to debauch a slim-bodied alabaster-skinned lady
linguist from U.Maryland. We drank continuously, both of us permanently
half-cut from morn till midnight, only getting out of bed each day in
order to resume drinking. Sex, alcohol, poetry, alcohol and more sex;
the true sacrament of the wintertide. A genuine celebration of what it
means to be alive. Vibrant? Most certainly. Lively? You can bet your
life on it. Wholesome? Not, I fear, as you understand the word.

The Church, historically, understood this. It knew that it was working
with dynamite. It knew that this was the time of year when, in our
maggoty little peasant brains, we feel the darkness closing in and the
beast rising within us. This is why, left to itself, Christianity can
almost come to resemble a decent religion about this time of year. Skim
off the horseshit about "gentle Jesus meek and mild", kick Phillip
Brooks and his saccharine "Little town of Bethlehem" into the frozen
church porch to drip and shiver among the symbolic robins, and dive into
the old carols like the "Holly and the Ivy", "In the bleak midwinter" or
"Adam lay y-bounden". You can still feel the pulse of life that runs in
the ancient music, the holy dread as you go down on your knees in the
darkened church and beseech the old bastard to bring the sun back one
more time, half in worship, half in fear. As you kneel on the cold
flags, your forehead pressed against the moist oak of the pew in front
while the shadowed nave echoes with the slow sonorous majesty of the
King James version, at such a time you might almost ... believe.

Which explains the instinctive shudder that runs through me when you
start talking about 'imagining a more wholesome celebration'. I will
admit that is difficult to conceive of anything less attractive than our
present midwinter greedfest. But something about the way that you write
tells me that if anyone could engineer such a thing, you would be the
one. With your prissy attention to detail you will have us all sitting
around in our homespun nightshirts exchanging simple hand-made gifts as
we raise our little multi-cultural voices in a politically-approved hymn
to togetherness and 'diversity' as empty and insipid as the gauleiters
at PC HQ who conceived and endorsed it. Or meditating on a Christmas
story about the baby Jesus and his Animal-Judaean companions being
visited by the racially-mixed and democratically-elected male persons of
superior sagacity. Something bland, safe, and colourless, fussily
guaranteed to offend no one. Christmas Lite. Good night, John-Boy. Good
night, EcoSafe.

>> Merry Christmas, Think Green, Be Positive!
>
>Blow me.

Just as the man said. I don't want a Green Christmas or a Rainbow
Christmas or anything else you can dream up. I don't want my
Christmasses sanitized and laundered for public consumption any more
than I want them commercialised and mass-marketed. You can stick your
'wholesome celebration' in the same place as the greedheads who gave us
the in-time-for-Christmas release of "Home Alone 3" and the yearly
feeding frenzy at Toys'r'Us can put their contributions. I want my
Christmasses unwholesome, dark and atavistic, filled with dread and
lust, marked by supernatural awe and mystery. I want there to be one
brief moment in which we can understand that perhaps we're not so very
different from the animals after all. And it is my arrogant opinion that
this realization might do more for the planet than all your eco-friendly
bean-counting and public hand-wringing will ever do.

an...@pobox.com http://pobox.com/~angus/

"Christmastime. When really we should remember, this is a time for
spiritual uplift. A time for oneness with the universe, and ...
Donovan. It is *not* a time for heavy drinking, over-eating, and
casual sex with farm animals. That's out of the question! So
be warned ..." [Ian Anderson]

Julian Macassey

Dec 26, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/26/97

In article <680gf8$j...@news.scruz.net>, Dirt Devil <gl...@armory.com> wrote:

>Oh, man! I didn't know that it was *deer* sausage. I never got
>around to trying it. I saw some people eating some kinda something,
>but didn't see it out on the table when I was over scarfing up my FREE
>EATS.
>
>Had I known that it was deer sausage AND was run through Julians own
>chopper/shreder, I would have gone on a hunting expidition to find the
>source. I have never even eaten venison[1].
>
>[1] Not for lack of desire. Just never had the opportunity.

Bullshit.

Your neck of the woods is rotten with deer.

Kill one. Eat it. Report back.

Don't forget to save the liver when gutting it. Makes the
tastiest pate.

Happiness is a steaming gut pile.

ObLibrul: In my socialising over the past few days, I visited a
house where the "Lady of the house", is a school administrator,
or some such political non teacher.

One of the guests asked the ol' "can I help" question and
was directed to chop the dipping veggies. She was given a crappy
small serrated knife. After making a mess with the veggies she
asked if there was a sharp knife around.

Seems there weren't any. The politically correct hostess
admitted to be "frightened of knives". So, here we have someone
who would no doubt support "knife control". Coming soon to a
jurisdiction near you.

You can't cook without good sharp knives - unless opening
TV dinners is cooking.

On Chrissy eve, I stopped by some friends for a bite and
a Cuba Libre or two. They had knives, but blunt ones - God they
made a mess of the meat. I confiscated their knives, but will
return them today - sharpened.
--
Julian Macassey 920.208.8051

E M Richards

Dec 26, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/26/97

In article <680km6$8...@newsops.execpc.com>,

Julian Macassey <jul...@bongo.tele.com> wrote:

>ObLibrul: In my socialising over the past few days, I visited a
>house where the "Lady of the house", is a school administrator,
>or some such political non teacher.
[etc]

>asked if there was a sharp knife around.
> Seems there weren't any. The politically correct hostess
[etc]

>admitted to be "frightened of knives". So, here we have someone
>who would no doubt support "knife control". Coming soon to a
>jurisdiction near you.

The bunny huggers in Berkeley have sharp knives for good cooking.
They'd get tossed out of "the Gourmet Ghetto" if they didn't.

I think there is a thin line between politics and mental illness.
It damages the bunny hugger/eco/librul cause that so many mentally
ill people drape their illness in a political mantle as a form of
denial.

With the Far Right, they seem to drape their neuroses in the mantle
of religion, a tougher nut to crack.

If they sought treatment for their neuroses before they voted,
we'd all be better off.

Geoff Miller

Dec 26, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/26/97

Vince Clause <Vince...@ecosafe.com> writes:

> May the peace and love of Christ one day penetrate your
> Neanderthal like skull.

Peeve: the overuse of the word "Neanderthal" as a term of
derision. It's so...predictable. How come Cro-Magnon and
Peking Man never get any of the limelight? (Of course, in
your case, perhaps Piltdown Man would be the best choice.)

> Life really does not have to be so angering!

"Angering" isn't a word, my semiliterate friend. If you've
a message that you'd like to communicate, you'd undoubtedly
find it helpful; to brush up on the linguistic basics before
you step up to the ol' lectern.

Peeve: people who think a "podium" is the same thing as a
"lectern."

Geoff

--
"It's a naive domestic burgundy without any breeding, but I think
you'll be amused by its presumption." --James Thurber

Paul F Austin

Dec 26, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/26/97

Julian Macassey wrote:

> ObLibrul: In my socialising over the past few days, I visited a
> house where the "Lady of the house", is a school administrator,
> or some such political non teacher.

> One of the guests asked the ol' "can I help" question and

> was directed to chop the dipping veggies. She was given a crappy
> small serrated knife. After making a mess with the veggies she

> asked if there was a sharp knife around.

> Seems there weren't any. The politically correct hostess

> admitted to be "frightened of knives". So, here we have someone
> who would no doubt support "knife control". Coming soon to a
> jurisdiction near you.

"fightened" is the defining state of big-mommy liberals. I can deal
with robust "we can built a damn dam right here!" types on their own
terms but the ones who quiver and say "even if it saves just one..." are
impossible. Reasoned discourse never reaches the (Ob)Save the Chilllrun
crowd. Shootem.

Huggy-bear's Commission on Racial Harmony is busy defining the terms of
debate so that the _only_ possible discussion is on how the spoils are
divided. They cleverely salted the audience with David Duke's fund
raiser as an example of Conseravtive Racism at their last stop.

--
Conscience is that quiet little voice that says "Someone may be
watching."

Paul F Austin
pau...@digital.net

E M Richards

Dec 26, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/26/97

In article <geoffmEL...@netcom.com>,

Geoff Miller <geo...@netcom.com> wrote:
>Vince Clause <Vince...@ecosafe.com> writes:
>> May the peace and love of Christ one day penetrate your
>> Neanderthal like skull.
>
>Peeve: the overuse of the word "Neanderthal" as a term of
>derision. It's so...predictable. How come Cro-Magnon and
>Peking Man never get any of the limelight? (Of course, in

I'm a big fan of the word "troglodyte", myself. Its one of
those words that just bounces out. Australopithicine is
too difficult. "Knuckle scraper" is a good one. Its more modern,
as it can apply to gorillas and fullbacks.

?Peeve: Its amazing, the multitudinous ways we can all insult each
other. I (heart) the internet.

Geoff Miller

Dec 26, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/26/97

feo...@nospam.antipope.org (Rev. Feorag NicBhride) writes:

> Charlie doesn't know it yet, but I fancy the butter pies
> (which he makes better than I do) for tea.

What the fuck is a "butter pie?" The only other place I've
ever heard the term is in that old Paul and Linda McCartney
song.

ObButterpie: "Butter pie!" ("The butter would melt...")

Geoff "hands across the water" Miller

Notorious P.I.G.

Dec 26, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/26/97

In article <680gf8$j...@news.scruz.net> gl...@armory.com (Dirt Devil) writes:
>>Got a Christmas Day call from Julian, and it was one of the high spots
>>of the day. One amongst many.
>Damn -- he didn't call *me*. Guess that means that he doesn't love me
>anymore.

You dipshit! He didn't call you because he hates you, a position you prolly
only know better than the standard outcast does.

You have a really nice ol' lady, and every day that you wake up, you should
give 'er a kiss for keeping the rest of us from killin' you and leaving you
by the side of the road with the rest of the detritus that the fuckin'
buzzards subscribe to as a diet.

!Peeve: The Smokey Robinson collection, courtesy of my Bro, George. It's funny
how some things sound just as good after 20 years, and sad how the memories
that some songs evoke bring a tear to your eyes.

I know you don't care, but Georgie and I went through what most of us call
'growing pains.' I watched his little sisters progress from flat-chested
little annoyances into fairly edible young women, and saw them bear some
healthy, solid children.

Oddly, I was asked by Audrey to be a godfather to her second child, despite
the fact that I don't subscribe to her religious beliefs.

I don't mind the implied responsibilty of buying gifts for a child I'm likely
to never meet. It baffles me, though, that someone would look at me as some
sort of father figure, and I doubt that I can provide the kinda guidance that
a young up-and-comer needs to be successful.

I'm quite proficient at what not to be. It's telling, though, that no ome asks
me what I did to promote my dumb ass into this lofty perch,and that's just fine
with me. Cuz I haven't a clue. I'm a godfather due to the fact that someone saw
something in me that I wuz ignorant of, and she takes with her my undying
friendship, for whatever that translates into value.

My godson's name is Robert, and I hope that he's having a wunnerful fuckin'
day, wherever he is at the moment

VJ

Pink Boy

Dec 26, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/26/97

jul...@bongo.tele.com (Julian Macassey) writes:

>In article <geoffmE...@netcom.com>,

>Geoff Miller <geo...@netcom.com> wrote:
>>Off to dump my used motor oil into the storm drain,

> Where else should it be?

He could bury it in his back yard, except that it makes
the organically grown carrots taste a bit off.

Mr Foo

Terry Austin

Dec 26, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/26/97

geo...@netcom.com (Geoff Miller) wrote:

>Peeve: people who think a "podium" is the same thing as a
>"lectern."

Hmmm....

lectern \lek-tern\ n : a stand to support a book for a standing reader

(C) 1995 Zane Publishing, Inc. The Merriam-Webster Dictionary (C)
1994 by Merriam-Webster, Incorporated

podium \po-de-em\ n, pl podiums or podia \-de-e\ 1 : a dais esp. for
an orchestral conductor 2 : lectern
^^^^^^^^^^^
(C) 1995 Zane Publishing, Inc. The Merriam-Webster Dictionary (C)
1994 by Merriam-Webster, Incorporated

Somebody had to say it.

---------------------------------
-- Terry Austin, Grand Inquisitor, Loyal Order of Chivalry & Sorcery
Hyperbooks Online http://www.hyperbooks.com/ Order by toll free phone call!

VDS (Vehicle Design System) by Greg Porter at BTRC
Chronicles, by John Darling... Not the same old thing.

Glen Quarnstrom

Dec 26, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/26/97

jul...@bongo.tele.com (Julian Macassey) wrote:

>In article <680gf8$j...@news.scruz.net>, Dirt Devil <gl...@armory.com> wrote:

>>source. I have never even eaten venison[1].

Venison is generally overrated. Elk meat, on the other hand, is often
better than beef. With either, of course, it depends a lot on what
the animal has been eating, and how much care was taken in preparing
the meat.

> One of the guests asked the ol' "can I help" question and
>was directed to chop the dipping veggies. She was given a crappy
>small serrated knife. After making a mess with the veggies she
>asked if there was a sharp knife around.
>
> Seems there weren't any. The politically correct hostess
>admitted to be "frightened of knives". So, here we have someone
>who would no doubt support "knife control". Coming soon to a
>jurisdiction near you.

Shite, dull knives are probably more dangerous, on average, than sharp
ones.

> On Chrissy eve, I stopped by some friends for a bite and
>a Cuba Libre or two. They had knives, but blunt ones - God they
>made a mess of the meat. I confiscated their knives, but will
>return them today - sharpened.

You're a good man, Julian. It's hard to find a person any more who
knows how to sharpen a knife. It's not even easy to find a good
whetstone.
--
gl...@cyberhighway.net
http://www.cyberhighway.net/~glenq/

Glen Quarnstrom

Dec 26, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/26/97

geo...@netcom.com (Geoff Miller) wrote:

>Peeve: people who think a "podium" is the same thing as a
>"lectern."

CounterPeeve: People who care.

And, in the spirit of our very own Rompin' Stompin' Sonofabitch: a
slightly belated Happy Holidays to all of you perverts, curmudgeons,
iconoclasts, and misfits.

Yeah, even Draino. Sorry, Vinnie.

--
gl...@cyberhighway.net
http://www.cyberhighway.net/~glenq/

Geoff Miller

Dec 27, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/27/97

tau...@hyperbooks.com (Terry Austin) writes:

> 2 : lectern

Something that no one but me ever seems to grasp when things
like this come up: Note that this is definition (2). There's
a reason for that. Any definition of number greater than (1)
carries with it the implication -- nay, the *taint* -- of
questionable legitimacy and possibly even of common misuse,
in direct proportion to the distance of its number from (1).
Otherwise there'd be no reason for a definitional hierarchy,
right?

Those numbers are there for a reason, and the placement of the
definitions isn't random or coincidental. This is where the
"dictionaries-are-descriptive-not-proscriptive" nitwits miss
the boat. *Some* definitions are descriptive, but they're
seldom, if ever, among those marked "(1)." They're included
merely as an FYI, as a way of saying, "By the way, you might
run into occasional illiterati or some of those handwaving,
permissive, 'English-is-a-living-language' peckerheads using
the word this way, but pay it no mind, and you're implicitly
advised against it that way yourself."

A "podium" is the same thing as a dais or a rostrum: a raised
platform on which speakers stand. A _lectern_, in contrast,
is the vertical bookstand/cabinet thingy with the angled top,
sometimes with a microphone attached to it, behind which a
public speaker stands. They're often found atop rostra, but
they're not the same thing.

Peeve: that Austin would even think of going to the dictionary
about this, instead of just taking my goddam word for it. I
swear, you could say "water is wet," and there'd be someone in
the readership who'd feel compelled to dive into The Literature
to determine if, perforce, It Is So Written. Common sense: oh,
how I miss her!

Geoff

Terry Austin

Dec 27, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/27/97

geo...@netcom.com (Geoff Miller) wrote:

>tau...@hyperbooks.com (Terry Austin) writes:
>
>> 2 : lectern
>

>Something that no one but me ever seems to grasp when things
>like this come up: Note that this is definition (2). There's
>a reason for that. Any definition of number greater than (1)
>carries with it the implication -- nay, the *taint* -- of
>questionable legitimacy and possibly even of common misuse,
>in direct proportion to the distance of its number from (1).
>Otherwise there'd be no reason for a definitional hierarchy,
>right?

miss \mis\ vb 1 : to fail to hit, reach, or contact 2 : to feel the
absence of 3 : to fail to obtain 4 : avoid <just ~ed hitting the other
car> 5 : omit 6 : to fail to understand 7 : to fail to perform or
attend; also : misfire

So, you're saying that I can't miss someone who's gone? I can't miss
that other car? You can't miss my point?

>Those numbers are there for a reason,

Yes, they are. Without the numbers, it's be:

miss \mis\ vb to fail to hit, reach, or contact to feel the absence of
to fail to obtain avoid <just ~ed hitting the other car> omit to fail
to understand to fail to perform or attend; also : misfire

Which really doesn't make any sense.

>and the placement of the
>definitions isn't random or coincidental.

homonym \ha-me-nim, ho-\ n 1 : homophone, homograph 2 : one of two or
more words spelled and pronounced alike but different in meaning (as
pool of water and pool the game)

(C) 1995 Zane Publishing, Inc. The Merriam-Webster Dictionary (C)
1994 by Merriam-Webster, Incorporated

>This is where the
>"dictionaries-are-descriptive-not-proscriptive" nitwits miss
>the boat. *Some* definitions are descriptive, but they're
>seldom, if ever, among those marked "(1)." They're included
>merely as an FYI, as a way of saying, "By the way, you might
>run into occasional illiterati or some of those handwaving,
>permissive, 'English-is-a-living-language' peckerheads using
>the word this way, but pay it no mind, and you're implicitly
>advised against it that way yourself."

Or perhaps they included because they are also proper definition, but
some way is needed to delineate them.

>A "podium" is the same thing as a dais or a rostrum: a raised
>platform on which speakers stand. A _lectern_, in contrast,
>is the vertical bookstand/cabinet thingy with the angled top,
>sometimes with a microphone attached to it, behind which a
>public speaker stands. They're often found atop rostra, but
>they're not the same thing.
>
>Peeve: that Austin would even think of going to the dictionary
>about this, instead of just taking my goddam word for it. I
>swear, you could say "water is wet," and there'd be someone in
>the readership who'd feel compelled to dive into The Literature
>to determine if, perforce, It Is So Written. Common sense: oh,
>how I miss her!

!Peeve: That Miller thinks that someone has appointed him Net God,
whose word should be taken that water is wet. Pretty damned
entertaining, if you ask me.

Doh!

Glen Quarnstrom

Dec 27, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/27/97

geo...@netcom.com (Geoff Miller) wrote:

[lectures Autism on dictionary protocols]

>Peeve: that Austin would even think of going to the dictionary
>about this, instead of just taking my goddam word for it. I

Thank you, Professor Irwin Corey.

--
gl...@cyberhighway.net
http://www.cyberhighway.net/~glenq/

Charlie Stross

Dec 27, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/27/97

Geoff Miller<geo...@netcom.com> wrote
(in article <geoffmEL...@netcom.com>):

>What the fuck is a "butter pie?"

Death through cholesterol poisoning. It's probably illegal where you live ...

Start with a [large] frying pan. Put it on yer gas range at minimum
heat. Start melting butter into it. Note: just melt the butter, don't
make it start to bubble.

Whack a large onion or two through the food processor on 'slice', not
puree.

To the sliced onion, add the equivalent of an entire head of garlic:
about ten cloves will do. (If you're lazy, make it an entire jar of
garlic puree.) (NB: garlic is optional for garlic-phobes and vampires.)

Dump the onion/garlic into the frying pan. Melt _more_ butter into it.
By now there should be a quarter pound or so of liquid butter and
about a quarter pound of vegetation.

Now you want to take the pound of potatos you boiled ten minutes ago
and smash 'em to pieces using a potato masher (or food processor, if you're
lazy). Stir into the frying pan, adding more butter as you go.

Terminal state: a frying pan containing a greasy glob of onion/potato/butter
mixture in the ratio 0.25:1:0.8 or thereabouts, plus a fair amount of
garlic.

At this point, you turn off the heat, prepare a pie dish or dishes (with
bog-standard pastry), slap the greasy glob into the pies, and put lids on
em. Then cook for 10-20 minutes, until the pastry is done.

Eat. Belch. Fibrilate. Thud.

-- Charlie

Dirt Devil

Dec 27, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/27/97

In article <680km6$8...@newsops.execpc.com>,

Julian Macassey <jul...@bongo.tele.com> wrote:
>In article <680gf8$j...@news.scruz.net>, Dirt Devil <gl...@armory.com> wrote:
>>
>>[1] Not for lack of desire. Just never had the opportunity.
>
> Bullshit.
>
> Your neck of the woods is rotten with deer.
>
> Kill one. Eat it. Report back.

I have to admit, in from of gawd and this entire agust group, that I
cannot do that.

I eat only the best free-range meat that Safeway raises in them
plastic packages.

Should someone aquire meat by some other means, prepare it and make it
available to me, I'll happily try it.

My father has always been big on raising his own beef. Some years ago
he offered us a side of one of his pets (yeah -- he makes pets out of
all of them). I went for it.

He took care of the butchering and aging.

He over-aged it. When we finally got it, it was quite tender -- also
quite without taste.

Oops -- gotta go. Our neighborhood pet buck, Vennie, is outside
looking for dog biscuts.

Dirt Devil

Dec 27, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/27/97

In article <680qq6$plm$1...@was.hooked.net>, E M Richards <boo...@well.com> wrote:

>I think there is a thin line between politics and mental illness.
>It damages the bunny hugger/eco/librul cause that so many mentally
>ill people drape their illness in a political mantle as a form of
>denial.

I fear that you may be more correct than you know.

Many of the bunney hugger/eco/libruls are really saying "I have been
*wronged*. Please take care of me as I feel that my parents should
have."

Sorry kids -- it ain't gonna happen.

If yer childhood was shitty, that's good training for life. It's
time to (as our drill instructor in the Air Farce used to say, each
morining) "Drop yer cocks and grab yer socks" and start taking care of
yerself.

>With the Far Right, they seem to drape their neuroses in the mantle
>of religion, a tougher nut to crack.

Interesting. This could be equally true. I have had relatively
little experience with the bible-thumpers -- aside from telling them
to get the Hell off of my property.

Yeah -- as I think about it, it would be pretty easy to make this
case. Gawd is, to the bible-thumpers, as The State is to the liburls.
Both groups seem to expect some omnipotent entity to care for them.

>If they sought treatment for their neuroses before they voted,
>we'd all be better off.

I *like* this -- imagine, instead of a reading test that was used in
the South to keep the uneducated from voting, an inkblot test.

I'm looking forward to looking at all of the dirty pictures.

Lenore Levine

Dec 27, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/27/97

gl...@armory.com (Dirt Devil) writes:

>Should someone aquire (venison) by some other means, prepare it and make it

>available to me, I'll happily try it.

Venison steaks are available at Cosentino's (*). Also ostrich,
quail, alligator, goose, buffalo, rabbit, pheasant, squid and
turtle. And probably more I can't remember.

Lenore Levine

(*) A _very_ large grocery store in Southwestern San Jose.

Rev. Feorag NicBhride

Dec 28, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/28/97

<!--
Charlie Stross<cha...@nospam.antipope.mapson.org> wrote (in article
<slrn6a9p45....@antipope.demon.co.uk>):

>To the sliced onion, add the equivalent of an entire head of garlic:
>about ten cloves will do. (If you're lazy, make it an entire jar of
>garlic puree.) (NB: garlic is optional for garlic-phobes and vampires.)

I would like to point out that this stage is a Charlie-ism, and garlic is
not part of the canonical butter pie. Ideally, you make the pastry with
butter as well.

Chris H Kostanick

Dec 28, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/28/97

k...@acpub.duke.edu (Strayhorn) writes:

>> You're a good man, Julian. It's hard to find a person any more who
>> knows how to sharpen a knife. It's not even easy to find a good
>> whetstone.

>About the only place I find stones these days are either industrial
>supply stores or gunsmithing places (Brownells is nice, but a bit
>pricey). Dillon's, the national chain of industrial supply warehouses,
>carries Washita, Arkansas and India stones at very good prices, and
>in assorted shapes in case you want to set a trigger sear as well
>as put a razor edge on that Ka-bar.

You can get some very good stones from the wood working catalogs.
I prefer King brand japanese water stones myself. With those and a
few minutes I can keep the Henckels sharp and marvelous. There are
also diamond stones available, but I haven't tried them on anything
but a small Swiss Army knife.

>ObLust: Japanese "600 fold" knives and wood tools. Edges so thin
>they seem to disappear into the air.

I bought a Japanese pull dovetail saw. Marvelous.

>Peeve2: The cost of said knives.

Indeed.

Chris Kostanick
Jet Car Neutopian - Grays Never Sharpen the Kitchen Knives

Tony Quirke

Dec 28, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/28/97

Geoff Miller <geo...@netcom.com> wrote:
> tau...@hyperbooks.com (Terry Austin) writes:

> > 2 : lectern

[waffle snipped]

> A "podium" is the same thing as a dais or a rostrum: a raised
> platform on which speakers stand. A _lectern_, in contrast,
> is the vertical bookstand/cabinet thingy with the angled top,
> sometimes with a microphone attached to it, behind which a
> public speaker stands. They're often found atop rostra, but
> they're not the same thing.

Obviously, a _lectern_ is *also* an alternative word for a podium.
A lectern (1) is not the same thing as a podium, yet a lectern (2) *is*.

Under what authority does Your Magnificence feel you may dictate what
is or isn't English ? Do you have a direct writ from Nathan Bailey or
something ? Does Samuel Johnson appear nightly at the foot of your bed so
that you may spread the Gospel to us heathen ?

> Peeve: that Austin would even think of going to the dictionary
> about this, instead of just taking my goddam word for it. I

> swear, you could say "water is wet," and there'd be someone in
> the readership who'd feel compelled to dive into The Literature
> to determine if, perforce, It Is So Written. Common sense: oh,
> how I miss her!

Well, fuck, Geoff, it's not against common sense to rejoice in the fact
that you're wrong. You're wrong, Geoff, you're wrong. It's so *fun* to rub
your nose in that little truth and watch your ego desperately scrambling
to avoid having to face the fact.

I realise it's difficult for rabid conservatives to admit to being
fallible, but feel free to invade Poland or something if it'll make you
feel better.

- Tony Q.
--
This .sig contains exactly threee erors.

Pat Steppic

Dec 28, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/28/97

Geoff Miller wrote:

> feo...@nospam.antipope.org (Rev. Feorag NicBhride) writes:
>
> > Charlie doesn't know it yet, but I fancy the butter pies
> > (which he makes better than I do) for tea.
>
> What the fuck is a "butter pie?" The only other place I've
> ever heard the term is in that old Paul and Linda McCartney
> song.

Sounds like something they'd eat in the Deep South. Crust made
of lard and flour, filling made of butter, brown sugar,
molasses, and a few raisins for nutrition's sake.

Pat "Or maybe it's a genteel sort of Moon Pie" Steppic

Make the obvious changes in the above e-mail address to respond.

"If there exists any peaceful place in the world where a little
quiet contemplation can be had, sooner or later someone will
invent some "sport" that trashes it."
- badpenny@[127.0.0.1] (George Washington Hayduke)

"That Cat's Something
I Can't Explain"

Olawanji Shausha

Dec 29, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/29/97

In article <68617t$cpg$1...@net.indra.com>, chr...@indra.com (Chris H Kostanick) wrote:

[Strayhorn waxed on good stones]

>You can get some very good stones from the wood working catalogs.
>I prefer King brand japanese water stones myself. With those and a
>few minutes I can keep the Henckels sharp and marvelous. There are
>also diamond stones available, but I haven't tried them on anything
>but a small Swiss Army knife.

Here in Ess Eff, we gotcher Soko Hardware in the heart of
Nihonmachi[1*], at which foyne place you can fondle the Japanese
stones and the implements they're intended to sharpen. They (the
stones) do indeed work well, and, if you're lucky enough to have had
a good teacher and know how to tune them, their associated tools.

[1*] Japantown, for you piss^H^H^Heasants. There's also a Soko
Hardware and Nihonmachi in San Jose, of all ghumforsaken places.

Geoff Miller

Dec 29, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/29/97

qui...@atlantis.actrix.gen.nz (Tony Quirke) writes:

> Obviously, a _lectern_ is *also* an alternative word for a podium.

Obviously, it's a *wrong* word for podium. The fact that it's commonly
misused that way doesn't make it right, any more than people using
"media" as the singular makes _that_ right. You leftists just hate
rules, don't you? Tough titty. Those of us in the position of making
and enforcing various rules have all the power.

> Under what authority does Your Magnificence feel you may dictate what
> is or isn't English ?

The fact that I'm an educated man who knows his language, and who's not
willing to tolerate its abuse by mealy-mouthed libertines like yourself
who think that the expression of someone's "personhood" is somehow
truncated by being expected to use English properly.

> Well, fuck, Geoff, it's not against common sense to rejoice in the
> fact that you're wrong. You're wrong, Geoff, you're wrong. It's so
> *fun* to rub your nose in that little truth and watch your ego
> desperately scrambling to avoid having to face the fact.

You remind me of a snot-nosed little girl chanting taunts while jumping
rope on the playground: "Nyaah, nyaah, nyaah-nyaah nyaah!" Which is
about the intellectual level of most of what passes for your bald-pussied
discourse.

I note with no small joy, Tony, that you seldom show your face in here
anymore unless it's in reaction to something I've written. Your name in
an article header is almost _always_ followed by

"Geoff Miller <geo...@netcom.com> wrote:."

It gives me more pleasure than you'll ever know to realize that I get
under your skin so. Aren't I just the bane of your existence?

> I realise it's difficult for rabid conservatives to admit to being
> fallible, but feel free to invade Poland or something if it'll make
> you feel better.

By your standards, my antipodean Bolshevik friend, a "rabid conservative"
is anyone who doesn't wave Chairperson Mao's little red book and blather
about the oppression of the masses. I'd really, really like to savor the
feeling of your head collapsing under my truncheon someday. My willie
would be stiff for _days_.

Off to don my hobnailed boots,

Lenore Levine

Dec 29, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/29/97

geo...@netcom.com (Geoff Miller) writes (to Tony Quirke):

>I'd really, really like to savor the
>feeling of your head collapsing under my truncheon someday. My willie
>would be stiff for _days_.

ObServation: Can you imagine a real bully, verbal or physical,
taking quite that tone of nonsensical glee? No, they tend to
get smarmily self-righteous; for example, they like to use
pop psychology about their opponent.

I guess they really don't like themselves.

Lenore Levine

Steve/Beth George

Dec 29, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/29/97

Tony Quirke (qui...@atlantis.actrix.gen.nz) wrote:

(Geoff sez lecterns ain't podia)

: Obviously, a _lectern_ is *also* an alternative word for a podium.
: A lectern (1) is not the same thing as a podium, yet a lectern (2) *is*.

: Under what authority does Your Magnificence feel you may dictate what
: is or isn't English ? Do you have a direct writ from Nathan Bailey or

: something ? Does Samuel Johnson appear nightly at the foot of your bed so
: that you may spread the Gospel to us heathen ?

Hopefully, Geoff will realize that common usage dictates changes in language.

Spot it.

--Beth

Bob O`Brien

Dec 29, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/29/97

In article <688tnv$p29$1...@ccnet3.ccnet.com>,

Steve/Beth George <aqua...@ccnet.com> wrote:

>Hopefully, Geoff will realize that common usage dictates changes in language.
>
>Spot it.

I did; here it comes:

>--Beth

Sheesh, when will you idiots realize that criticism is a proper
tool for shaping common usage?

Bob O`Bob
--
Caution: usage at distances less than three feet
may cause injury to soft body tissue.
****Fee for reviewing unsolicited commercial mail: $500 minimum.****
I don't buy from spammers, and I don't reply to forged email.

Notorious P.I.G.

Dec 29, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/29/97

In article <688tnv$p29$1...@ccnet3.ccnet.com> aqua...@ccnet.com (Steve/Beth George) writes:

>Tony Quirke (qui...@atlantis.actrix.gen.nz) wrote:
>Hopefully, Geoff will realize that common usage dictates changes in language.
>Spot it.

Oh, that one's too easy. But, of course, you're right, and it's
becoming all too prevalent.

You stand on a podium, and you rest a book or set of notes on a
lectern. Their closest relationship is you can purport illegitimate
"facts" from either one, and that may be the basis for Mr. Quirke's
confusion. Unfortunately, he can't even use a "dialectictal difference"
argument in his defense. He bit too hard, and now has a mouthful of
shoe leather he can't spit out, leaving him with only two alternatives;
continue pursuing an argument he's already lost, or shutting the fuck up.

Let's see which one he chooses...

VJ

Ayse Sercan

Dec 29, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/29/97

geo...@netcom.com (Geoff Miller) wrote:

>Peeve: that Austin would even think of going to the dictionary
>about this, instead of just taking my goddam word for it. I
>swear, you could say "water is wet," and there'd be someone in
>the readership who'd feel compelled to dive into The Literature
>to determine if, perforce, It Is So Written. Common sense: oh,
>how I miss her!

Reminds me of a certain debate about the historical usage of the term
"witch."

--
ay...@netcom.com
"Think positively, act positively, and never leave fingerprints."

Pat Steppic

Dec 29, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/29/97

Geoff Miller wrote:

> Vince Clause <Vince...@ecosafe.com> writes:
>
> > This is because it was a personal posting about a matter
> > that is of great concern to me, a peeve. Is this not what
> > this list is for?
>
> Sure, but you're still a weenie.

On a hunch, I did a little checking, and if I'm not mistaken,
this is the same Mr. Clause who posted here some time ago,
announcing to all and sundry that fiberglass insulation does
not actually insulate one's house - it merely traps the warm
air, and releases it to the outside. He said that he had some
revolutionary new fireproof, super-reflective insulation, and
he went on and on and on, demonstrating that he knew nothing
whatsoever about how insulation works.

_That_ time, it was sales spam. I figured he'd just spammed all
of usenet, and wouldn't be back.

Peeve: I was wrong.

Peeve: That I even remember.

Pat "Going home now, and gonna start a big, smoky fire in the
wood stove to heat our fiberglass-insulated home" Steppic

Steve/Beth George

Dec 29, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/29/97

Geoff Miller (geo...@netcom.com) wrote:

: aqua...@ccnet.com (Steve/Beth George) writes:

: > Hopefully, Geoff will realize that common usage dictates
: > changes in language.

: Hopefully, Beth will realize that adequate education would obviate
: that eventuality.

: Okay, so there's no equivalent of the Academie Francaise. But
: contrary to what people like you and Quirke seem to think, that
: doesn't mean that linguistically, anything goes.

Geoff, dear, re-calibrate your Irony Sensor. I am hopeful that you'll
actually spot that about which I was peeving. Or to communicate more
clearly, I'm not siding with TQ!

The Academie Francaise is another peeve, though. While I don't believe
standards should be completely relaxed, they would have their language
stagnate. Much of the beauty of English is in its users' willingness to
incorporate new or even foreign words and make them a part of this vibrant
language.

Peeve Tres Grande: According to a friend who recently visted France, the
Academie's unwillingness to use actual English coupled with the need for a
word for a *quick* afternoon meal (as opposed to a stately three-hour
repast) has lead to newspaper advertising for restaurants serving
"Flunch"--French Lunch. Lunchais would have been more French in
structure, as well as less discordant.

--Beth

Geoff Miller

Dec 30, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/30/97

aqua...@ccnet.com (Steve/Beth George) writes:

> Hopefully, Geoff will realize that common usage dictates
> changes in language.

Hopefully, Beth will realize that adequate education would obviate

that eventuality. And I suspect that there's been no generation
in recent history that's less literate than the present one. The
worst part of it is, so many of them are aggressively semiliterate;
they're unashamed of, and unapologetic about, this very real
shortcoming. "Who cares," they shrug, "as long as communication
is taking place? You knew what I meant, didn't you?" The proper
way to prevent the need for discussions like this one isn't by
lowering the applicable (i.e., academic) standards; it's by making
sure those standards are met.

Peeve: I negotiated the Veterans Administration phone system today,
and was subjected to a recoding in which the speaker used "criteria"
as the singular. ARRRGH!

Okay, so there's no equivalent of the Academie Francaise. But
contrary to what people like you and Quirke seem to think, that

doesn't mean that linguistically, anything goes. Despite the
lack of some sort of central officiating body, English nevertheless
has certain rules and conventions, and likewise, its words have
_definitions_. If that weren't the case, then communication in
English would obviously be impossible, and English classes would
be pointless. I get dog-tired of seeing all this handwaving about
"living languages" every time someone gets called on his erroneous
usage.

What it is, really, is simply another manifestation of the way our
society has come to recoil from the idea of passing any sort of
judgment on anyone, or inflicting any sort of standards -- because
the existence of standards would mean that somebody might <ghasp!>
_fail_. And declaring a _right_ way implies that some people are
_wrong_. My God, what would that do to their precious self-esteem?
You know, "Everyone's special, and everyone's right in his own special
little way." Well, bullshit, I say. Some people are fucking WRONG,
and the sooner they and everyone else are able to internalize that,
the better it'll be for society _and_ for the English language.

Get the rifles!

Natural Born Cereal Killer

Dec 30, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/30/97

aqua...@ccnet.com (Steve/Beth George) writes:

>Hopefully, Geoff will realize that common usage dictates changes in language.

In the immortal words of Noah, as scribed by Bill Cosby,
"Right..."

--
* Dan Sorenson DoD #1066 ASSHOLE #35 BOTY 1997 vik...@probe.net *
* Vikings? There ain't no vikings here. Just us honest farmers. *

Terry Austin

Dec 30, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/30/97

geo...@netcom.com (Geoff Miller) wrote:

>qui...@atlantis.actrix.gen.nz (Tony Quirke) writes:
>
>> Obviously, a _lectern_ is *also* an alternative word for a podium.
>

>Obviously, it's a *wrong* word for podium. The fact that it's commonly
>misused that way doesn't make it right, any more than people using
>"media" as the singular makes _that_ right. You leftists just hate
>rules, don't you? Tough titty. Those of us in the position of making
>and enforcing various rules have all the power.

Language is defined by use, not the other way around. If folks like
you had their way, we'd all still be speaking with grunts and
whistles. Nope. No progress allowed *here*.

>> Under what authority does Your Magnificence feel you may dictate what
>> is or isn't English ?
>

>The fact that I'm an educated man who knows his language, and who's not
>willing to tolerate its abuse by mealy-mouthed libertines like yourself
>who think that the expression of someone's "personhood" is somehow
>truncated by being expected to use English properly.

I'm a conservative, Geoff. And I figure you're a pompous weenie, too.
Education != intelligence, or even being right more often than
average.

>> Well, fuck, Geoff, it's not against common sense to rejoice in the
>> fact that you're wrong. You're wrong, Geoff, you're wrong. It's so
>> *fun* to rub your nose in that little truth and watch your ego
>> desperately scrambling to avoid having to face the fact.
>
>You remind me of a snot-nosed little girl chanting taunts while jumping
>rope on the playground: "Nyaah, nyaah, nyaah-nyaah nyaah!" Which is
>about the intellectual level of most of what passes for your bald-pussied
>discourse.

And you remind me of the Impressive Clergyman in Princess Bride.
Pompous, impressive looking, and just plain silly to listen to.

>I note with no small joy, Tony, that you seldom show your face in here
>anymore unless it's in reaction to something I've written. Your name in
>an article header is almost _always_ followed by
>
> "Geoff Miller <geo...@netcom.com> wrote:."
>
>It gives me more pleasure than you'll ever know to realize that I get
>under your skin so. Aren't I just the bane of your existence?

Likewise, Geoff.

>> I realise it's difficult for rabid conservatives to admit to being
>> fallible, but feel free to invade Poland or something if it'll make
>> you feel better.
>
>By your standards, my antipodean Bolshevik friend, a "rabid conservative"
>is anyone who doesn't wave Chairperson Mao's little red book and blather

>about the oppression of the masses. I'd really, really like to savor the

>feeling of your head collapsing under my truncheon someday. My willie
>would be stiff for _days_.

You really outta see a doctor about that. It's probably curable, with
the right psychoactive drugs. Arsenic, for instance.

>Off to don my hobnailed boots,
>Geoff

don n [Sp, fr. L dominus lord, master] 1 : a Spanish nobleman or
gentleman used as a title prefixed to the Christian name 2 : a head,
tutor, or fellow in an English university

(C) 1995 Zane Publishing, Inc. The Merriam-Webster Dictionary (C)
1994 by Merriam-Webster, Incorporated

You're going to give you hobnailed boots to a Spanish nobleman? How
generous.

Terry Austin

Dec 30, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/30/97

geo...@netcom.com (Geoff Miller) wrote:

>Some people are fucking WRONG,
>and the sooner they and everyone else are able to internalize that,
>the better it'll be for society _and_ for the English language.

Yah, that's why we can still read the original Anglo Saxon Chronicle,
without translation...

Olawanji Shausha

Dec 30, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/30/97

In article <688tnv$p29$1...@ccnet3.ccnet.com>, aqua...@ccnet.com (Steve/Beth George) wrote:

>Hopefully, Geoff will realize that common usage dictates changes in language.
>

>Spot it.

You mean that pine plug, the one medicos used to apply as a
heamorrhoidectomy post-op bandage?

Jan M. Bednarczuk

Dec 31, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/31/97

In article <geoffmEL...@netcom.com>, geo...@netcom.com (Geoff Miller) wrote:

>The fact that I'm an educated man who knows his language, and who's not
>willing to tolerate its abuse by mealy-mouthed libertines like yourself
>who think that the expression of someone's "personhood" is somehow
>truncated by being expected to use English properly.

Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems to me from context that you meant
"libertines" to mean "those of a liberal bent".

It doesn't. Check the dictionary of your choice.

Jan

Geoff Miller

Dec 31, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/31/97

bookworm@_nospam_nwu.edu (Jan M. Bednarczuk) writes:

> Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems to me from context
> that you meant "libertines" to mean "those of a liberal bent".

Actually, I thought the word meant "people who are excessively
permissive where tolerating the conduct of others is concerned."
What could I have expected? I picked it up from a political
cartoon. I should've known better than to take anything from
that com-symp scrawler in the _Chronicle_, Tom Meyer, at face
value.

> It doesn't. Check the dictionary of your choice.

I did; the word means, "a man who is sexually promiscuous." I
stand enlightened.

How can a man be classified as "sexually promiscuous," anyway?
Women can be "sexually promiscuous." Guys are simply getting
their rocks off. Unlike those goddam sluts...

Deirdre Sholto-Douglas

Dec 31, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/31/97

In alt.peeves Jan M. Bednarczuk <bookworm@_nospam_nwu.edu> wrote:
: geo...@netcom.com (Geoff Miller) wrote:

: >The fact that I'm an educated man who knows his language, and who's not
: >willing to tolerate its abuse by mealy-mouthed libertines like yourself
: >who think that the expression of someone's "personhood" is somehow
: >truncated by being expected to use English properly.

: Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems to me from context that you meant

: "libertines" to mean "those of a liberal bent".

What the hell is the matter with you? It seems to me from context
that he used the word exactly how is meant and defined.

: It doesn't. Check the dictionary of your choice.

You first.

Deirdre

--
| Deirdre Sholto-Douglas | e-mail: fi...@Mercury.mcs.com |
| | |

Tony Quirke

Dec 31, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/31/97

Geoff Miller <geo...@netcom.com> wrote:
> qui...@atlantis.actrix.gen.nz (Tony Quirke) writes:

> > Obviously, a _lectern_ is *also* an alternative word for a podium.

> Obviously, it's a *wrong* word for podium.

The dictionary seems to disagree with you.

> The fact that it's commonly misused that way doesn't make it right, any
> more than people using "media" as the singular makes _that_ right.

Interestingly enough, the single dictionary I can lay my hands on at
the moment is careful to distinguish between a medium and media, yet it
also lists "a lectern" as one of the definitions of "podium".

So, we must ask ourselves a simple question. Although using "podium"
to refer to a stand for holding a speaker's notes is not as *precise* as
using lectern, what authority does Geoff have to claim that it is
*wrong* ?

> You leftists just hate rules, don't you?

But, Geoff, all we have is hot air, and the fact that it issues from
one of your orifices does not, ipso facto, make it a "rule".

> Tough titty. Those of us in the position of making and enforcing
> various rules have all the power.

But, Geoff, you're not in a position to either make or enforce these
"rules" of yours. Various dictionaries and various speakers of English
disagree with you and you seem singularly impotent to enforce your
desires. Limp dicked. Drooping.

> > Under what authority does Your Magnificence feel you may dictate what
> > is or isn't English ?

> The fact that I'm an educated man who knows his language, and who's not
> willing to tolerate its abuse by mealy-mouthed libertines like yourself
> who think that the expression of someone's "personhood" is somehow
> truncated by being expected to use English properly.

But I *am* using English properly. The hot air and bluster is coming
from your direction...

> > Well, fuck, Geoff, it's not against common sense to rejoice in the
> > fact that you're wrong. You're wrong, Geoff, you're wrong. It's so
> > *fun* to rub your nose in that little truth and watch your ego
> > desperately scrambling to avoid having to face the fact.

> You remind me of a snot-nosed little girl chanting taunts while jumping
> rope on the playground: "Nyaah, nyaah, nyaah-nyaah nyaah!"

Oh, do I annoy you ? What a pity.

> Which is about the intellectual level of most of what passes for your
> bald-pussied discourse.

But, Geoff, in this argument we seem to have one person unable to check
out a dictionary and unable to understand that their wishes do not dictate
consensual reality. I vaguely recall that most five year olds are well
capable of both of these tasks, so what does that imply about the
intellectual level of this person ?

> I note with no small joy, Tony, that you seldom show your face in here
> anymore unless it's in reaction to something I've written.

Nope. I'm posting less on the Usenet overall.

> Your name in an article header is almost _always_ followed by
> "Geoff Miller <geo...@netcom.com> wrote:."

Interesting. Fortunately, we have Dejanews to provide some check on
these claims (spotty though it is as an archive).

I went through all alt.peeves posts with my surname in them to
alt.peeves in the current file, and through an extra hundred or so in
the old file, sorted by date, finding 42 by me. Not counting the post that
kicked off this little conversation, I've posted 5 replies to something
Terry Austin wrote, 2 replies to something written by you, Aahz, Jeffrey
Z., James Hill, Mike Holmes and Bod, and 1 reply to something written by
twenty five other assorted miscreants. The two addressed to you were
one-liners made for humour value.

I then went through the file again, searching for combinations of our
names/surnames posted to alt.peeves. You've written five items mentioning
me, and I've written six items mentioning you in the period from 30th
December 1997 back to 20th February 1996, slightly over 23 months. That's
approximately one mention every four months, back when I was posting more
freely.

> It gives me more pleasure than you'll ever know to realize that I get
> under your skin so. Aren't I just the bane of your existence?

I realise that the more rabid conservatives tend to live in their own
little dream-world, but I would have thought you'd be capable of doing a
*tiny* amount of fact checking before pulling your pud in public.

Put it away, Geoff. You're making a fool of yourself and the womenfolk
are giggling.

> > I realise it's difficult for rabid conservatives to admit to being
> > fallible, but feel free to invade Poland or something if it'll make
> > you feel better.

> By your standards, my antipodean Bolshevik friend,

One and half out of three. You're getting better.

> a "rabid conservative" is anyone who doesn't wave Chairperson Mao's
> little red book and blather about the oppression of the masses.

Chairperson who ?

Myself, the economic philosopher I think had the best theory on the
basics made the following comments:

"The liberal reward of labour...is the natural symptom of increasing
national wealth."

"But what improves the circumstance of the greater part can never be
regarded as an inconveniency to the whole."

"Where wages are high, accordingly, we shall always find the workmen
more active, diligent, and expeditious than when they are low." (*)

"Masters are always and everywhere in a sort of tacit, but constant and
uniform, combination, not to raise the wages of labour above their actual
rate. To violate this combination is everywhere a most unpopular action,
and a sort of reproach to a master among his neighbours and equals. We
seldom, indeed, hear of this combination, because it is the usual, and one
may say, the natural state of things....Masters, too, sometimes enter into
particular combinations to sink the wages of labour even below this rate.
These are always conducted with the utmost silence and secrecy, till the
moment of execution..." (**)

Alas, conservatives being intellectually dishonest, his work tend
to be a bit distorted nowadays. Although he gets mentioned quite a lot,
such celebrated neo-cons as the Chicago School tend to gloss over the
premises he was at pains to incorporate into his theories, even as they
attempt to apply them to situations where these premises do not hold.

And, of course, the present has surpassed his imagination in that Alan
Greenspan is paid a great deal of money to conduct in *public* the type of
machination mentioned in the last quote.

> I'd really, really like to savor the feeling of your head collapsing
> under my truncheon someday.

Ah, Goering himself couldn't have said it better (****). I congratulate
you on your adherence to the principles that have made your particular
brand of politics so outstanding in the history of the Twentieth Century.

> My willie would be stiff for _days_.

Gosh, even a few seconds *would* be an unusual event, wouldn't it ? Bit
of a pity you're all air and no action, isn't it ?

- Tony Q.

(*) _An Inquiry into the Nature and the Wealth of Nations_ (Indianapolis:
Hackett Publishing Co, 1993 ed). (***)

(**) _The Wealth of Nations_ (London: Penguin Books, 1986 ed). (***)

(***) See John Ralston Saul's _The Unconscious Civilization_ and
_Voltaire's Bastards_. _When Corporations Rule The Earth_ (William
Kaplin ??) also discusses contemporary distortions in presenting this
author's theories.

(****) "Whenever I hear the word culture, I reach for my revolver."
(attributed).

Julian Macassey

Dec 31, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/31/97

In article <34aa4...@news.actrix.gen.nz>,
Tony Quirke <qui...@atlantis.actrix.gen.nz> wrote:

>(****) "Whenever I hear the word culture, I reach for my revolver."
>(attributed).

If you have to use that quote, get it right.

"When I hear the word "culture", I take the safety off my
Browning."

Attributed to Goebbels, actually by a lesser Nazi. I have
the quote in German somewhere.

--
Julian Macassey 920.208.8051

Notorious P.I.G.

Jan 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/1/98

In article <34aa4...@news.actrix.gen.nz> qui...@atlantis.actrix.gen.nz (Tony Quirke) writes:
> So, we must ask ourselves a simple question. Although using "podium"
>to refer to a stand for holding a speaker's notes is not as *precise* as
>using lectern, what authority does Geoff have to claim that it is
>*wrong* ?

It's wrong because it's wrong, bonehead. It's the 'apples 'n' oranges,
neverending argument, but the fact remains the same.

A podium and a lectern are *NOT* the same thing. Webster sez that
you're full of shit. Geoff sez you're full of shit.

Most importantly, though, I say you're full of shit, and I gots my
handy-dandy goddamned dictionary sitting next to me, giving two
different definitions of 'lectern' and 'podium.'

VJ

>> I note with no small joy, Tony, that you seldom show your face in here
>> anymore unless it's in reaction to something I've written.
> Nope. I'm posting less on the Usenet overall.

Don't you find it disconcerting that nobody noticed?

Tony Quirke

Jan 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/1/98

Geoff Miller <geo...@netcom.com> wrote:

> How can a man be classified as "sexually promiscuous," anyway?
> Women can be "sexually promiscuous." Guys are simply getting
> their rocks off. Unlike those goddam sluts...

Strangely enough, there's an official UN definition of "promiscuity",
that being having had more than two sexual partners in a given twelve
month period. Your tax dollars at work. Well, *my* tax dollars and *your*
IOUs at work...

- Tony Q.

Tony Quirke

Jan 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/1/98

Julian Macassey <jul...@bongo.tele.com> wrote:
> Tony Quirke <qui...@atlantis.actrix.gen.nz> wrote:

> >(****) "Whenever I hear the word culture, I reach for my revolver."

> >(attributed). [i.e. to Hermann Goering]

> If you have to use that quote, get it right.

I did get it right - to be specific, that's the form attributed to
Goering, although it's questionable he ever said it - which is why I
noted it as attributed to him.

> "When I hear the word "culture", I take the safety off my
> Browning."

> Attributed to Goebbels, actually by a lesser Nazi. I have
> the quote in German somewhere.

"Wenn ich Kultur hore... entsichere ich meinen Browning" (literally, "I
cock my Browning"). _Schlageter_ (1933) by Hanns Johst, a Nazi playwright,
act 1 scene 1.

- Tony Q. (Alright, so I still have the Bookshelf CD that came with my
computer.)

Charlie Stross

Jan 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/1/98

Hugh Davies<huge@axalotl_nospam.demon_nospam.co.uk> wrote
(in article <68fs15$7...@axalotl.demon.co.uk>):

>Peeve: Beaurocrats.
^^^
BLAM!!! BLAM!!! BLAM!!!!

-- Charlie "hoping there are no brainos in this post" Stross

When you say `I wrote a program that crashed Windows', people just stare
at you blankly and say `Hey, I got those with the system, *for free*'

-- Linus Torvalds

>> To reply: remove NOSPAM and anagrams, or see http://www.antipope.org/ <<

Bob O`Brien

Jan 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/1/98

Hugh Davies <huge@axalotl_nospam.demon_nospam.co.uk> wrote:
>qui...@atlantis.actrix.gen.nz (Tony Quirke) writes:
>
>> Strangely enough, there's an official UN definition of "promiscuity",
>>that being having had more than two sexual partners in a given twelve
>>month period.
>
>Sheesh. That's promiscuous?????
>
>Peeve: Beaurocrats.

Heh.

Well, you can't expect them to codify what they actually *mean*,
now can you? "Anybody who gets more than I do" doesn't even
pretend to be objective.

Bob O`Brien

Jan 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/1/98

Charlie Stross <charlie @ spamfree wrote:

>Hugh Davies<huge@axalotl_nospam.demon_nospam.co.uk> wrote
>(in article <68fs15$7...@axalotl.demon.co.uk>):
>>
>>Peeve: Beaurocrats.
> ^^^
>BLAM!!! BLAM!!! BLAM!!!!
>
>-- Charlie "hoping there are no brainos in this post" Stross

...just the whole post.

Bob "Insert witty comment about 'reading for cente[n|x]t' here" O`Bob

Lenore Levine

Jan 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/1/98

geo...@netcom.com (Geoff Miller) writes:

>How can a man be classified as "sexually promiscuous," anyway?
>Women can be "sexually promiscuous." Guys are simply getting
>their rocks off. Unlike those goddam sluts...

Geoff, if you keep fishing with Gummi worms, you're never
going to catch anything.

Lenore Levine

Terry Austin

Jan 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/1/98

pig...@netcom.com (Notorious P.I.G.) wrote:

>> So, we must ask ourselves a simple question. Although using "podium"
>>to refer to a stand for holding a speaker's notes is not as *precise* as
>>using lectern, what authority does Geoff have to claim that it is
>>*wrong* ?
>

>It's wrong because it's wrong, bonehead. It's the 'apples 'n' oranges,
>neverending argument, but the fact remains the same.

apple \a-pel\ n : a rounded fruit with firm white flesh and a seedy
core; also : a tree that bears this fruit

orange \or-inj\ n 1 : a juicy citrus fruit with reddish yellow rind;
also : an evergreen tree with fragrant white flowers that bears this
fruit 2 : a color between red and yellow

(C) 1995 Zane Publishing, Inc. The Merriam-Webster Dictionary (C)
1994 by Merriam-Webster, Incorporated

Clearly different, and not referencing each other in any way.

>A podium and a lectern are *NOT* the same thing. Webster sez that
>you're full of shit. Geoff sez you're full of shit.

podium \po-de-em\ n, pl podiums or podia \-de-e\ 1 : a dais esp. for
an orchestral conductor 2 : lectern

lectern \lek-tern\ n : a stand to support a book for a standing reader

(C) 1995 Zane Publishing, Inc. The Merriam-Webster Dictionary (C)
1994 by Merriam-Webster, Incorporated

Lectern is a definition of podium, in my *Webster*. So, frankly, what
Webster says is that *you* are full of shit. Or a liar. Geoff pretty
much *is* a definition of shit, and you aren't far behind.

>Most importantly, though, I say you're full of shit, and I gots my
>handy-dandy goddamned dictionary sitting next to me, giving two
>different definitions of 'lectern' and 'podium.'

Scan 'em in and post 'em. Doughhead.

Terry Austin

Jan 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/1/98

Kettir.The.Cat.The.Wonderful.Wonderful.Cat wrote:

>The assumed
>foundation of that argument is that just by existing and consuming
>oxygen, the twit is worthy of as much respect as the person he is
>belittling; the person who may well have invented the velcro on the
>twit's tennis shoes, the heat pump that is keeping his house cool in
>the summertime, or the computer he's using to post his illiterate
>screed to the world.

I find it interesting to note that your examples are all engineering
types, who are not known for being particularly literate to begin
with. While they might use their technojargon perfectly correctly,
they usually are *not* communicating effectively when they do so.

In other words, you would decry effective communications at the
expense of proper methods, while promoting proper method at the
expense of effective communications. When one has to make a choice
between being right and being understood, most people with half a
brain choose being understood. Those who do not are the reason most
of the population in the US considers scientists to be objects of
ridicule. And rightly so, in many cases.

>This same argument is used unceasingly by those who have made a career
>of living in squalor off the Welfare Dole. Don't assume that I am
>speaking from an ivory tower on this point; I have personally known
>people who were just like that, and who said those very things.

And you argument is used unceasingly by academics to blame the
unwashed masses for not understanding their technojargon. So? An
educated fool is no less a fool

Julian Macassey

Jan 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/1/98

In article <34ab6...@news.actrix.gen.nz>,

Tony Quirke <qui...@atlantis.actrix.gen.nz> wrote:

> Strangely enough, there's an official UN definition of "promiscuity",
>that being having had more than two sexual partners in a given twelve
>month period. Your tax dollars at work. Well, *my* tax dollars and *your*
>IOUs at work...

We would like to keep it that way.

If socialists think that the UN is a really good idea,
they should support it.

I even think that they should also host all the idle
burocrats and expensive buildings.

Why not move the whole lot to Sweden, including WHO, FAO,
UNICEF and the rest of the other useless agencies.

As a bonus, we can give you the U.S. United Way.
--
Julian Macassey 920.208.8051

Julian Macassey

Jan 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/1/98
>Julian Macassey <jul...@bongo.tele.com> wrote:
>> Tony Quirke <qui...@atlantis.actrix.gen.nz> wrote:
>
>> >(****) "Whenever I hear the word culture, I reach for my revolver."
>> >(attributed). [i.e. to Hermann Goering]
>
>> If you have to use that quote, get it right.
>
> I did get it right - to be specific, that's the form attributed to
>Goering, although it's questionable he ever said it - which is why I
>noted it as attributed to him.
>
>> "When I hear the word "culture", I take the safety off my
>> Browning."
>
>> Attributed to Goebbels, actually by a lesser Nazi. I have
>> the quote in German somewhere.
>
> "Wenn ich Kultur hore... entsichere ich meinen Browning" (literally, "I
>cock my Browning"). _Schlageter_ (1933) by Hanns Johst, a Nazi playwright,
>act 1 scene 1.

Sorry. Still wrong. Browning don't make a revolver. Also,
I am told by good linguists that to the Krauts it is not cock,
but take off the safety that is being referred to.

But, that's OK. You no doubt support gun control, so the
less you know the better.

--
Julian Macassey 920.208.8051

Claudia HCQ Sorsby

Jan 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/1/98

Tony Quirke <qui...@atlantis.actrix.gen.nz> wrote:

[snip]

> So, we must ask ourselves a simple question. Although using "podium"
> to refer to a stand for holding a speaker's notes is not as *precise* as
> using lectern, what authority does Geoff have to claim that it is
> *wrong* ?

It's simple. Geoff's way is clearer and more precise than your way;
thus, his way is *better.*

Cowardly descriptivist dictionary writers have done terrible damage in
the world, because sloppy writers like you take advantage of their
weakness to twist and mangle the language, all the time shouting, "My
unclear and muddy usage is okay, because I can find a dictionary that
supports it."

Pfui. Any high school debater can tell you that a source can always be
found to support any position, no matter how asinine it is. "Black means
white, see? This book says so!"

Claudia

Geoff Miller

Jan 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/2/98

tau...@hyperbooks.com (Terry Austin) writes:

> When one has to make a choice between being right and being
> understood, most people with half a brain choose being understood.

In other words, if too many people have substandard vocabularies, the
"solution" is to lower the informal standards of what constitutes a
decent vocabulary for the modern age -- instead of cultivating the
sort of social mores that would encourage these nitwits to become
educated to at least the point where they can understand what anyone
who isn't a figurative ditch-digger is saying.

Yeah, right. That's American education, right there in a nutshell.

> Those who do not are the reason most of the population in the US
> considers scientists to be objects of ridicule. And rightly so,
> in many cases.

Anti-intellectualism, thy name is Austin.

> An educated fool is no less a fool.

And ignorance is somehow ennobling? If someone else doesn't understand
something that I've said, would he earn some sort of social Brownie points
for that?

Terry Austin

Jan 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/2/98

ch...@door.net (Claudia HCQ Sorsby) wrote:

>Tony Quirke <qui...@atlantis.actrix.gen.nz> wrote:
>
>[snip]

>> So, we must ask ourselves a simple question. Although using "podium"
>> to refer to a stand for holding a speaker's notes is not as *precise* as
>> using lectern, what authority does Geoff have to claim that it is
>> *wrong* ?
>

>It's simple. Geoff's way is clearer and more precise than your way;
>thus, his way is *better.*

Unless, of course, Geoff's way is *wrong*. At least, to those of use
with a normal IQ or better.

>Cowardly descriptivist dictionary writers

Is that anything like a car apologist?

Clodia and Duhg. Good match.

Terry Austin

Jan 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/2/98

geo...@netcom.com (Geoff Miller) wrote:

>tau...@hyperbooks.com (Terry Austin) writes:
>
>> When one has to make a choice between being right and being
>> understood, most people with half a brain choose being understood.
>
>In other words, if too many people have substandard vocabularies, the
>"solution" is to lower the informal standards of what constitutes a
>decent vocabulary for the modern age -- instead of cultivating the
>sort of social mores that would encourage these nitwits to become
>educated to at least the point where they can understand what anyone
>who isn't a figurative ditch-digger is saying.

Dictionaries are defined by usage, not the other way around. This
isn't rocket science. And you're not a rocket scientist. (But then,
if you were, you'd be using your technojargon to try to impress the
iggerant natives, thus showing yourself an elitist fool.)

>Yeah, right. That's American education, right there in a nutshell.

Natural reaction to petty demagoguery and elitist educationalism.

demagogue or demagog \de-me-gag\ n [Gk demagogos, fr. demos people +
agogos leading, fr. agein to lead] : a person who appeals to the
emotions and prejudices of people esp. in order to gain political
power demagoguery \-ga-ge-re\ n demagogy \-ga-ge, -ga-je\ n

(C) 1995 Zane Publishing, Inc. The Merriam-Webster Dictionary (C)
1994 by Merriam-Webster, Incorporated

>> Those who do not are the reason most of the population in the US
>> considers scientists to be objects of ridicule. And rightly so,
>> in many cases.
>
>Anti-intellectualism, thy name is Austin.

Hypocrisy, thy name is Miller.

>> An educated fool is no less a fool.
>
>And ignorance is somehow ennobling? If someone else doesn't understand
>something that I've said, would he earn some sort of social Brownie points
>for that?

Nope. And beside the point. Education is no sign of intelligence.
Only determination, and an ability to kiss ass among the profs.

I'm rather more impressed by people who *do* things than by people who
learn about them, and make grand (and usually incorrect, as in your
case) pronouncements, expecting the applause of the masses.

To quote someone who is occasionally smarter than you: Divot.

Charlie Stross

Jan 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/2/98

Hugh Davies<huge@axalotl_nospam.demon_nospam.co.uk> wrote
(in article <68gtn9$7...@axalotl.demon.co.uk>):
>Mucho Budvar consumed in the Davies household this evening.
>
>!Peeve: Budavr.
>
>Peeve: Budweiser.

I'll drink to that.

ObStoopidQuestion: whyinhell can't the US company produce something
which tastes passably like the Czech original? (Okay, okay, so maybe
they don't want to take the accounting hit from lagering their produce
for three months or so ...)

-- Charlie

Charlie Stross

Jan 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/2/98

Bob O`Brien<ob...@best.com> wrote
(in article <68gtm7$2f9$1...@shell3.ba.best.com>):

>>-- Charlie "hoping there are no brainos in this post" Stross
>
>...just the whole post.
>
> Bob "Insert witty comment about 'reading for cente[n|x]t' here" O`Bob

^^^^^^^^^^^

That regexp no parse.

(Who rattled your cage, anyway, Bob? You running low on tranquilisers over
the holiday period or something?)

-- Charlie

Geoff Miller

Jan 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/2/98

jul...@bongo.tele.com (Julian Macassey) writes:

> "When I hear the word "culture", I take the safety off my
> Browning."

Something I haven't yet seen anyone question: Why would Nazis
be equipped with Brownings? Considering all the excellent
domestic firearms from which they could've chosen, why would
any of them have opted for an American sidearm? I'd think a
Luger would be more likely, but maybe that's just Horry'ood
exerting its influence on my perceptions.

Geoff Miller

Jan 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/2/98

qui...@atlantis.actrix.gen.nz (Tony Quirke) writes:

> Your tax dollars at work. Well, *my* tax dollars and *your*
> IOUs at work...

The rest of the UN membership is lucky that we're members at
all. The only reason we even pay lip service to the organization
is because it's sometimes to our political advantage to invoke
this proto-World Government. Welcome to the real world.

Besides, didn't Ted Turner, AKA The Mouth Of the South[*], AKA Hanoi
Jane's spooge donor, offer to pick up the tab not long ago?

In any event, Tony, I'd think a bit of humility from the likes of
you was in order. Had we not deigned to intervene lo these 50-odd
years ago, and your your South Seas Pommie brethren would be speaking
Japanese today.

[*] I actually haven't seen him called that since his America's Cup
days, but I've never forgotten it. Maybe he and his toadies
have been trying to squelch it as part of an image-building
program.

Chris H Kostanick

Jan 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/2/98

jul...@bongo.tele.com (Julian Macassey) writes:

>In article <34ab6...@news.actrix.gen.nz>,
>Tony Quirke <qui...@atlantis.actrix.gen.nz> wrote:
>>

>> Strangely enough, there's an official UN definition of "promiscuity",
>>that being having had more than two sexual partners in a given twelve

>>month period. Your tax dollars at work. Well, *my* tax dollars and *your*
>>IOUs at work...

> We would like to keep it that way.

> If socialists think that the UN is a really good idea,
>they should support it.

> I even think that they should also host all the idle
>burocrats and expensive buildings.

> Why not move the whole lot to Sweden, including WHO, FAO,
>UNICEF and the rest of the other useless agencies.

> As a bonus, we can give you the U.S. United Way.

Hopefully at about 10 miles a second. Should make a nice little
crater.

ObPeeve: The hard sell at work over the United Way.

!Peeve: Not giving them any money.

Chris "I'll pick my charities thanks" Kostanick
Jet Car Neutopian

Geoff Miller

Jan 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/2/98

tau...@hyperbooks.com (Terry Austin) writes:

> Unless, of course, Geoff's way is *wrong*. At least, to those of use

> with a normal IQ or better. ^

Reminds me of an entry in my quotes file:

"Mabye your too stupid" -- Dept.237980

Before, Terry couldn't even spell "fuckwit." Now he _is_ one.

Geoff

--
"When did the rabbit become a substitute for the Christ figure?
I don't care if they stick pins in them, infect them with wierd

Geoff Miller

Jan 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/2/98

tau...@hyperbooks.com (Terry Austin) writes:

> Dictionaries are defined by usage, not the other way around.

If that were strictly true, they'd be pretty useless as references,
now wouldn't they? (Isn't it interesting how the people we see
spouting this "dictionaries are descriptive, not prescriptive"
crap tend to be leftists? My guess is that they feel that by
accepting dictionaries as sources of TRVTH, they'd be submitting
to some form of symbolic fascist oppression. And that's where
the truncheons come in, even if only metaphorical ones like mine.
When I see someone say that "dictionaries are descriptive, not
prescriptive," I rack the slide on my SKS.)

> This isn't rocket science. And you're not a rocket scientist.
> (But then, if you were, you'd be using your technojargon to try
> to impress the iggerant natives, thus showing yourself an elitist
> fool.)

Speaking of dictionaries, here's a contribution for the next edition
of Webster's:

elitist, n.: somebody who knows words that Terry Austin
doesn't understand. (See also "sour grapes.")

> Natural reaction to petty demagoguery and elitist educationalism.

What the fuck is wrong with elitism? I've never understood how the
concept got to be such a bugbear, let alone a buzzword. Like the
idea that "exposing children to knowledge of sexuality is bad," it's
one of those things that everybody seems to take as a given without
ever bothering to question, analyze, or support with an explanation.

From where I stand, here on the sod o'me, railing against "elitism"
always comes across as a thinly-veiled defense of mediocrity. Such
a defense, like the radical feminist rejection of login and reason,
is patently irrational and absurd, and comes across as nothing more
than the cry of a sore loser -- someone who rejects standards simply
because he's unable to meet them. Someone like you, in fact.

Are you a slave to your emotions who couldn't form a coherent argument
if her life depended on it? Then reject logic and reason as tools of
the Pale Patriarchal Penis People and declare that there are "other
ways of knowing." (Add handwaving to taste.) Can't understand what
other people are talking about, or employ your native tongue properly
and effectively? Feeling resentful and inadequate because you're Just
Not Good Enough when it comes to meeting commonly-accepted standards
of vocabulary and usage? Then puff yourself up, put on a mask of
righteous indignation, and rail against "elitism." Remember, anybody
who's Better Than You Are is oppressing you, and is the Enemy!

> demagogue or demagog \de-me-gag\ n [Gk demagogos, fr. demos people +
> agogos leading, fr. agein to lead] : a person who appeals to the
> emotions and prejudices of people esp. in order to gain political
> power demagoguery \-ga-ge-re\ n demagogy \-ga-ge, -ga-je\ n

You mean "emotions and prejudices" like the ones that cause people to
resent anyone who's smarter, more educated, or more articulate than
they are? The sort of "emotions and prejudices" that cause little
people like you to piss and moan about that contrived Satan, "elitism?"

> Hypocrisy, thy name is Miller.

How so? Where did I demonstrate hypocrisy? Or are you just using the
word in the traditional USENET sense: as a meaningless, all-purpose
insult, like the way junior high schoolers use the word "faggot?"

> Education is no sign of intelligence.

It certainly isn't a sign of common sense, but it most certainly is a
sign of intelligence. Some colleges and universities attract smarter
people than others do, on the avagerage, but people who manage to
survive in such institutions aren't exactly stupid.

> Only determination, and an ability to kiss ass among the profs.

Hmm, that's interesting; I don't remember kissing anybody's ass,
and I have a hard time imagining how meeting a course's academic
requirements could possibly be interpreted as such. You remind
me of the attitude, common among Urban Yutes, that being educated
is tantamount to "acting white." Are you a high school drop-out
or something? That's the way you come across, with all your blather
about how anyone who's reaped the fruits of merit is somehow suspect.

> I'm rather more impressed by people who *do* things than by people
> who learn about them, and make grand (and usually incorrect, as in
> your case) pronouncements, expecting the applause of the masses.

So where is it written that the set of "people who *do* things" is
disjoint from the set of "people who learn about them?" You seem
to have some bizarre, deep-seated resentment of your betters. Were
you once anally raped by someone who knew how to use the word "podium"
properly or something?

Christian R. Conrad

Jan 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/2/98

On 1 Jan 1998 20:18:49 GMT,
huge@axalotl_nospam.demon_nospam.co.uk (Hugh Davies) said:

> Mucho Budvar consumed in the Davies household this evening.

> !Peeve: Budavr.
> Peeve: Budweiser.

Peeve: Anheuser-Busch claiming the name for their own, so the original
beer from Budweiss is forced to use the Czech-language form of its name.

Christian R. Conrad

--
My own opinions, yadda yadda...
Dumping bodies is like the real estate Carl Hiaasen,

Bob O`Brien

Jan 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/2/98

Charlie Stross <charlie @ spamly> wrote:
>Bob O`Brien<ob...@best.com> wrote
>>>-- Charlie "hoping there are no brainos in this post" Stross
>>
>>...just the whole post.
>>
>> Bob "Insert witty comment about 'reading for cente[n|x]t' here" O`Bob
> ^^^^^^^^^^^
>
>That regexp no parse.
>
>(Who rattled your cage, anyway, Bob? You running low on tranquilisers over
>the holiday period or something?)

Pretty damnd tough to claim the substitution of an 'e' for an 'o'
was a mere typo. Must'a been one'o them "braino" things.

It was supposed to be "conte[n|x]t", but I think you knew that.

But "beaurocrats" in a context of courtship ... er, well, sex, anyway,
seemed too creative to be a true error.

You're excused. My turn in the stocks.

Bob O`Bob

Bob O`Brien

Jan 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/2/98

Geoff Miller <geo...@netcom.com> wrote:
>Something I haven't yet seen anyone question: Why would Nazis
>be equipped with Brownings? Considering all the excellent
>domestic firearms from which they could've chosen, why would
>any of them have opted for an American sidearm? I'd think a
>Luger would be more likely, but maybe that's just Horry'ood
>exerting its influence on my perceptions.

My, but isn't that a cute little hook.
I think I'll just steal the bait.

!Peeve: I've never owned a firearm with the name "Browning"
_on_ it which was made in the US. The Utah-made Hi-Power
(made since what - the late 1970s?)
just doesn't have the appeal of my Belgian-made models,
or even the Brownings I've had with names like "Colt"
and "Winchester" on them.

?Peeve: the concept of "excellent domestic firearms" in 1920's Deutschland

John S. Novak

Jan 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/2/98

On 1 Jan 98 10:10:07 GMT, Tony Quirke <qui...@atlantis.actrix.gen.nz> wrote:
>Geoff Miller <geo...@netcom.com> wrote:

>> How can a man be classified as "sexually promiscuous," anyway?
>> Women can be "sexually promiscuous." Guys are simply getting
>> their rocks off. Unlike those goddam sluts...

> Strangely enough, there's an official UN definition of "promiscuity",

>that being having had more than two sexual partners in a given twelve
>month period. Your tax dollars at work. Well, *my* tax dollars and *your*
>IOUs at work...

Gee, Tony, you sound bitter.
What's the matter, did you just now figure out that we're never going
to pay the bill, and that there's really nothing anyone can _do_ about
it...

What are you gonna do? Expel us? Make us stand out in the hall?
Send a note home to our mommies? Please, please, please expel us.
The look on Bill "I want a legacy" Clinton's face would be priceless,
as he realizes he really doesn't have any more good reasons to send
forces over to Bosnia as part of the UN Peacekeeping Placebo.

Knowing Billy, he'd keep our forces over there, anyway.
And I'm thinking, inside a month, we'd be at war with the UN.

I think this would be a good thing.

Good for the economy.
Good for the national spirit.
Definitely keep me employed for a few more months...

--
John S. Novak, III j...@cris.com
The Humblest Man on the Net

Julian Macassey

Jan 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/2/98

In article <geoffmEM...@netcom.com>,

Geoff Miller <geo...@netcom.com> wrote:

>Besides, didn't Ted Turner, AKA The Mouth Of the South[*], AKA Hanoi
>Jane's spooge donor, offer to pick up the tab not long ago?
>

>[*] I actually haven't seen him called that since his America's Cup
> days, but I've never forgotten it. Maybe he and his toadies
> have been trying to squelch it as part of an image-building
> program.

Ah, Ted in his "Good ol' Boy" days. When he told the then
current Mrs. Turner that as a woman, she knew nothing about
sports. How he used to make speaking appearances drunk.

Mind you, when I heard him announce the big giveaway to
"save the chilldrunn via the UN", he sounded pretty smashed too.

A friend of mine who has been a semi-pro boat crew once
met "Captain Outrageous" - his other name from that era. Said Ted
was blind drunk at the time.

I wonder is Jane keeps him off the sauce which is what
makes him such a SNAG.

If he raced yachts today, would he wear a helmet?

--
Julian Macassey 920.208.8051

Julian Macassey

Jan 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/2/98

In article <geoffmEM...@netcom.com>,
Geoff Miller <geo...@netcom.com> wrote:

>jul...@bongo.tele.com (Julian Macassey) writes:
>
>> "When I hear the word "culture", I take the safety off my
>> Browning."
>

>Something I haven't yet seen anyone question: Why would Nazis
>be equipped with Brownings? Considering all the excellent
>domestic firearms from which they could've chosen, why would
>any of them have opted for an American sidearm? I'd think a
>Luger would be more likely, but maybe that's just Horry'ood
>exerting its influence on my perceptions.

Well, John Wayne Browning designed the guns. Fabrique
National in Herstal, Belgium made them.

The Krauts took over the FN factory during WWII. But,
before that, they always liked those neat little semi-autos.

In fact, from a thread here many moons ago, it wasn't
the Browning 9mm GP (aka High Power, aka model 1935) that they
fancied but an earlier Browning model the 1910 7.65mm.

During WWII, the krauts used the Browning High Power,
made in Belgium, the Radom, made in Poland and of course the
Walther P-35 and the venerable Luger.

Interestingly, some of the FN staff escaped Belgium and
spent WWII in Canada making Browning High Powers. These guns were
sold to the Brits, Chinese, and sundry allies. So the Browning
High Power was a 9mm pistol that saw service on both sides.

The Brits gave a few to resistance groups as ammo could
be nicked from the Jerries.

Why were Browning designed guns made in Belgium?

Browning was a freelance designer who sold designs to
Colt for sale in the Western Hemisphere and FN for sale in the
Eastern Hemisphere. But FN always made the 9mm High Power.

ObQuote: Every man should have a Browning.
--
Julian Macassey 920.208.8051

Julian Macassey

Jan 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/2/98

In article <68jifb$630$1...@shell3.ba.best.com>,

Bob O`Brien <ob...@best.com> wrote:

>!Peeve: I've never owned a firearm with the name "Browning"
>_on_ it which was made in the US. The Utah-made Hi-Power
>(made since what - the late 1970s?)
>just doesn't have the appeal of my Belgian-made models,
>or even the Brownings I've had with names like "Colt"
>and "Winchester" on them.

The Browning Arms Co. Ogden Utah does not make pistols.
They import them from FN.

These days, FN machines them in Herstal and finishes them
in Portugal. The magazines are made in Italy.
--
Julian Macassey 920.208.8051

It is loading more messages.