Status of Bigelow's funding of UFO Research

Michael Corbin

Mar 2, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/2/96
Does anyone know the status of the Bigelow Foundation's funding of the so-called "Big Three" UFO research groups?

I heard that a problem closed it down. Details anyone?

Mike

rud...@garnet.berkeley.edu

Mar 3, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/3/96
mco...@dimensional.com (Michael Corbin) wrote:

>Mike

For some of the latest gossip on the UFO circuit, turn your WEB
browser to "Saucer Smear" at http://www.mcs.com/~kvg/smear/htm. Be
forewarned that the following picture was pieced together from
various sources, some of it little more than hearsay and rumor.

The "Big Three" were also known as "The Coalition" and consisted of
MUFON, FUFOR, and CUFOS. As best I understand it, Bigelow (whose
supposed to be a very wealthy and shadowy Las Vegas "businessman"
with rumored Mafia/CIA connections) pledged something on the order of
a million dollars last year to the Big Three for UFO research. Among
the projects funded by Bigelow were further animal mutilation studies
by Linda Moulton Howe (I've heard this is still being funded) and
also an intensive national search of 1947 newspaper archives. This
latter project apparently increased the number of 1947 U.S. UFO
sightings to over 4000 from the previously thought 800.

Sometime in late 1995, Bigelow seems to have pulled the plug after
intense squabbling over who got the money and how it was going to be
spent. This information came from no less than Philip Klass in his
Sept. 1995 Skeptics UFO Newsletter. It's very possible that Bigelow
is a front for the CIA, and his funding was an attempt by the CIA to
control the direction of research by the Big Three UFO groups. Or
maybe Bigelow is just a big UFO buff.

Klass also claimed that Bigelow withdrew funding on the urging of
Col. John Alexander, and that's a whole other, very complicated
story. Alexander, however has denied involvement in a response
published in the 12/5/95 edition of "Saucer Smear"

Col. Alexander was formerly head of the Los Alamos Nonlethal Weapons
research, which included conventional means of incapacitating
opposing armies and pesky civilian crowds without necessarily killing
them, but also included "psiwar" techniques such as remote viewing.
Alexander recently "retired" and moved to Las Vegas but still admits
to continuing his nonlethal weapons connection through future
conferences and his still-existing "NATO appointment." [12/5/95
"Saucer Smear"].

Alexander is also rumored to be head of the National Institute of
Discovery Science in Las Vegas, although Alexander denies it. Also,
as I understand it, NIDS is funded by -- guess who? -- Robert
Bigelow. NIDS is supposedly involved in psychic research, remote
viewing, and the afterlife. But more importantly for our group's
purposes, NIDS wants to understand the physics behind the flying
saucers and maybe even build one!

According to several sources I've read or spoken to, Alexander was
also reputedly the mysterious Colonel "Harold Phillips" in Howard
Blum's book "Out There." Col. "Phillips" [Alexander] headed the "UFO
Working Group," an MJ-12 type UFO organization within the DIA
[Defense Intelligence Agency], consisting of select military people
and scientists from the CIA, NSA, and DIA. According to Blum, the
UFO Working Group was formed in February, 1987 following a UFO radar
incident in Dec. 1986, supposedly confirmed by psychic remote viewers
in the DIA's "Project Aquarius," founded by Stanford Research
Institute physicist Hal Puthoff. Puthoff was also one of the
scientists in the UFO Working Group.

Many members of the Group, including Alexander and Puthoff, were also
reputedly members of the so-called "Aviary," yet another group of
scientists and military people working on the UFO problem, formed
earlier than the "UFO Working Group, though supposedly "independent"
of the government. The "Aviary," however seems to have been involved
in the release of disinformation to UFO researchers in the 1980s,
with William Moore at the focus. This is a whole other very
complicated story that involves the psychological warfare campaign
against physicist Paul Bennewitz in Albuquerque, Kirtland AFB AFOSI
agent Richard Doty, who was forging UFO documents, Doty's superior in
the Pentagon, Col. Barry Hennessey, and Hennessey's underling, Col.
Richard Weaver, the OSI propagandist who wrote the 1994 USAF Roswell
Report. This probably also involves the parties who were behind the
MJ-12 papers given to Moore and Jaime Shandera in 1984, and who
planted another MJ-12 "document" in the National Archives to be found
by Moore and Shandera [the so-called Cutler-Twining memo].

Now back to NIDS. Hal Puthoff is also affiliated with NIDS. Puthoff
was formerly an employee of the NSA, then went to the Stanford
Research Institute and started remote viewing research back in 1972
with Ingo Swann and Russell Targ. Within weeks of starting the
research, the CIA showed up on his doorstep, and that's how the CIA
got involved in remote viewing. Puthoff has detailed all this in an
article to be published in the Spring 1996 edition of the Journal of
Scientific Exploration. But for those of you who follow this group
and a.a.v., this article was posted here on 2/24/96 by Thomas Burgin
under the title "CIA-Initiated Remote Viewing." Go back and read it!
Puthoff includes a multitude of references.

Puthoff is a very able physicist and has published a number of
articles in "Physical Review" since 1989 on the relationship between
the vacuum, the electromagetic field, and gravitation. His primary
theory [I hope I don't butcher this] is that gravitation and inertial
mass are residual EM effects arising from the interaction of light
with virtual matter in the vacuum. [In a way it's similar to the Van
der Waals force in chemistry which binds molecules together into
solids and liquids. The Van der Waals force is a weak, secondary
force that arises from random charge fluctuations in the electrons
orbiting atoms.] If Puthoff is correct, then it may be possible to
cancel inertial mass through suitable manipulation of EM fields.
Puthoff has also published a paper that mathematically confirms a
conjecture by Casimir that it may literally be possible to extract
energy from the vacuum with intense EM field gradients.

If this all sounds like the physics of saucer science, you are quite
correct. Inertial mass cancellation could explain a great many
characteristics of saucers, such as their enormous accelerations,
right angle turns, and their ability to "float" in our atmosphere.

Based on his background, I suspect Puthoff believes there is a deep
connection between saucer physics, psi phenomena such as remote
viewing, and many other bizarre aspects of the UFO enigma. To quote
Michael Corbin's accompanying post, which is from the letterhead of
NIDS:

>The National Institute for Discovery Science (NIDS) is a newly
>formed, privately funded research organization. It focuses on
>scientific exploration that emphasizes emerging, novel, and
>sometimes unconventional observations and theories. In its
>programs, NIDS rigorously employs accepted scientific methods and
>maintains the highest ethical and quality standards.
>
>Because NIDS is a new institution, it is too soon to determine
>exactly what specific projects will be undertaken. However, the
>Institute is concentrating on exploring fundamental research on
>issues concerning the nature and evolution of life and consciousness
>in the universe, and their modes of interaction.

In short, NIDS appears to be a blend of hard (though fringe) physical
science, and what could be loosely termed "mystical science." It may
very well be secretly backed by the CIA or some other spooky agency.

I find the whole story too confusing for words. Howard Blum took a stab
at it in "Out There" but ultimately got lost. Perhaps John LeCarre will
write a new spy novel and clear up everything for us!

twi...@hub.ofthe.net

Mar 5, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/5/96
rud...@garnet.berkeley.edu wrote:

A very good and accurate summation of a number of sources. Thank you.
I really wish more people on alt.paranet.ufo would read Saucer Smear.
It is difficult to be entertaining and still pass on info and they do
a great job. I may not agree with them, but I always read them. I
have been a non-subscriber for a long time.

[...]

#>
#>Because NIDS is a new institution, it is too soon to determine
#>exactly what specific projects will be undertaken. However, the
#>Institute is concentrating on exploring fundamental research on
#>issues concerning the nature and evolution of life and consciousness

#>in the universe, and their modes of interaction.

#In short, NIDS appears to be a blend of hard (though fringe) physical

#science, and what could be loosely termed "mystical science." It may

#very well be secretly backed by the CIA or some other spooky agency.

#I find the whole story too confusing for words. Howard Blum took a
stab
#at it in "Out There" but ultimately got lost. Perhaps John LeCarre
will
#write a new spy novel and clear up everything for us!

Twi...@hub.ofthe.net

rud...@garnet.berkeley.edu

May 3, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/3/96

mco...@dimensional.com (Michael Corbin) wrote:

>Does anyone know the status of the Bigelow Foundation's funding of the so-called "Big Three" UFO research groups?

>I heard that a problem closed it down. Details anyone?

>Mike

For some of the latest gossip on the UFO circuit, turn your WEB browser to Jim
Moseley's "Saucer Smear" at http://www.mcs.com/~kvg/smear/htm.

The "Big Three" were also known as "The Coalition" and consisted of MUFON,
FUFOR, and CUFOS. As best I understand it, Bigelow (whose supposed to be a very
wealthy and shadowy Las Vegas "businessman" with rumored Mafia/CIA connections)
pledged something on the order of a million dollars last year to the Big Three
for UFO research. Among the projects funded by Bigelow were further animal
mutilation studies by Linda Moulton Howe (I've heard this is still being funded)
and also an intensive national search of 1947 UFO archives. This latter project
apparently increased the number of 1947 U.S. UFO sightings to over 4000 from the
previously thought 800.

Sometime in late 1995, Bigelow seemed to have pulled the plug after intense
[...]

Alexander is also supposed to be head of the National Institute of Discovery
Science in Las Vegas, although Alexander denies it. NIDS is also supposed to be
funded by -- guess who? -- Robert Bigelow. NIDS is supposedly involved in
psychic research, remote viewing, and the afterlife. But more importantly for
our group's purposes, NIDS wants to understand the physics of the flying saucers
and even build one!

Based on a very recent post from mathematical physicist Hal Puthoff, he is also
affiliated with NIDS. Puthoff was formerly an employee of the NSA, then went to
the Stanford Research Institute and started remote viewing research back in 1972
with Ingo Swann and Russell Targ. Within weeks of starting the research, the
CIA showed up on his doorstep, and that's how the CIA got involved in remote
viewing. Puthoff has detailed all this in an article to be published in the
Spring 1996 edition of the Journal of Scientific Exploration. But for those of
you who follow this group and a.a.v., this article was posted here on 2/24/96 by
Thomas Burgin under the title "CIA-Initiated Remote Viewing." Go back and read
it! Puthoff includes a multittude of references.

Puthoff is a very able physicist and has published a number of articles in
"Physical Review" since 1989 on the relationship between the vacuum, the
electromagetic field, and the gravitation. His primary theory [I hope I don't
butcher this] is that gravitation and inertial mass are residual effects arising
from the interaction of light with the vacuum. [In a way it's similar to the
Van der Waals force in chemistry which binds molecules together into solids and
liquids. The Van der Waals force is a weak, secondary force that arises from
random charge fluctuations in the electrons orbiting atoms.] If Puthoff is
correct, then it may be possible to cancel inertial mass through suitable
manipulation of EM fields. Puthoff has also published a paper that
mathematically confirms a conjecture by Casimir that it may literally be
possible to extract energy from the vacuum with intense EM field gradients.

If this all sounds like the physics of saucer science, you are quite correct.
Inertial mass cancellation could explain a great many characteristics of
saucers, such as their enormous accelerations, right angle turns, and their

ability to "float" in our atmosphere.

So how did Puthoff get connected with Col. Alexander, Bigelow, and NIDS?

Gene Huff

May 6, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/6/96

In <4mc6eb$q...@agate.berkeley.edu> rud...@garnet.berkeley.edu writes:

-As best I understand it, Bigelow (whose supposed to be a very

>wealthy and shadowy Las Vegas "businessman" with rumored Mafia/CIA
>connections)

-I hope that's not the best you understand it. You would die laughing
about that assertion about Bigelow having mob/CIA connections if you
knew him. Bigelow is a successful Real Estate Developer in Vegas. He's
an intelligent gentleman, but sometimes he gets confused and thinks
research and development can be completed on a schedule like real
estate development and generally R&D can be elusive. He builds motels
and efficiency apartments that you can rent by the day, week or month.
He also owns the Mount Charleston Hotel. He started on the road to
success when he received a windfall insurance settlement when his
father died in a plane crash. I doubt that the mob or CIA would have
him and the feeling's probably mutual.-

>It's very possible that Bigelow is a front for the CIA, and his
>funding was an attempt by the CIA to control the direction of research
by the Big Three UFO groups.

-No, it's not possible at all. Bigelow wants to gain some fame by
spending his money on ET research that will accomplish something. He
just can't seem to find anyone he can get along with. I've heard that
the groups you mentioned came up with an idea on how to spend some of
the money. They were going to update a book called the UFO
encyclopedia. Quite frankly, I agree with Bigelow and I would have also
sought some people who were a little more inspired. I think the impetus
for it was that knucklehead named Richard Hall who used to, and still
may for all I know, provide cures for insomnia with his articles in UFO
magazine. The guy who wrote the UFO encyclopedia is supposed to be an
associate of Hall's. Thankfully Bigelow is a little smarter than they
are.-

Or maybe Bigelow is just a big UFO buff.

-Bingo.-