hard-drive problems

Tashkant

Dec 13, 2003, 5:59:57 PM12/13/03
i've got a physical drive 0 - E: - has
windows on it.

i've got physical drive 1 - C:

the system is booting to E: right now.

how can i change drive 0 to C:

Pegasus (MVP)

Dec 13, 2003, 6:05:34 PM12/13/03
You cannot change the drive letter of the boot drive. It is
embedded in countless locations in the registry, and also
in many files on the disk. If you changed this then you
would cripple your system.

"Tashkant" <goa...@spamme.com> wrote in message

Tashkant

Dec 13, 2003, 6:32:28 PM12/13/03
well my physical drive 0 was C: before.

i added a hard-drive and made a copy of drive 0 - that is C:

after much hocus-pocus now hard-drive 0 (primary ide)
is E: (before it was C:) and hard-drive 1 (secondary ide) is c:

it's booting from E: - but i know it's working because it's
using a lot of files from C: - both drives are identical copies.

i just want to boot from hard-drive 0 and C: - so that this
dependency is not there.

"Pegasus (MVP)" <I....@fly.com> wrote in message

Pegasus (MVP)

Dec 13, 2003, 6:40:56 PM12/13/03
I think the damage happened when you made a copy
of drive C:. This got the system confused. I would probably
do this:
- Temporarily disconnect the second disk
- Boot the machine
- Check my drive letters

If the system was back on drive C: and everything was
working OK then I would do this:
- Disconnect the normal disk.
- Connect the new disk.
- Boot the machine with a W98 boot disk from www.bootdisk.com.
- Use fdisk.exe to delete all partitions on the new disk.

When you reboot the machine with both disks in place, your
drive letters should be OK.

"Tashkant" <goa...@spamme.com> wrote in message

Tashkant

Dec 13, 2003, 6:55:10 PM12/13/03
when i disconnect the hd#1 (C:) and try to boot -
it craps out.

to add to my woes...it's not a standard ide from
the motherboard. it's an add-on ide ATA66 controller...
so when i boot from dos i don't see the drives.

maybe i can get the dos drivers for it....but using
fdisk on it and deleting the hd#1 partition i'm afraid will
leave me with an unbootable system.

maybe it won't...maybe the system on seeing no partitions
will revert to c: - but i don't get that behavior right now
by physically disconnecting hd#1.

i'm up the creek!

"Pegasus (MVP)" <I....@fly.com> wrote in message

Pegasus (MVP)

Dec 13, 2003, 7:14:50 PM12/13/03
I had this problem once on a test machine, and was
forced to ditch the whole installation. Perhaps someone
else can suggest a solution.

In the meantime you should not delete any partitions,
as this might cripple you permanently.

"Tashkant" <goa...@spamme.com> wrote in message

Tashkant

Dec 13, 2003, 7:39:21 PM12/13/03
when i disconnect the second drive and boot...
windows starts booting up and gets to the wallpaper
screen...and then i get into a loop with

if i delete the C: partition (the non-boot partition),
then i think i'll crap out right away....and then
won't be able to load anything.

on the other hand...if i delete the c: partition
and restart, then windows
might say...ok i'll allocate C: for my first partition
and it may all work.

i think the page swap file is also a concern.

it could be in the single drive config, it thinks the
page file is on the hard-coded drive that's no
longer there.

right now i'm on the cusp of going from 2 drives
to 0 with one wrong move.

"Pegasus (MVP)" <I....@fly.com> wrote in message

Pegasus (MVP)

Dec 13, 2003, 7:52:28 PM12/13/03
You may yet be able to save your installation. Try this:

1. Copy userinit.exe to c:\winnt\system32 on every drive you have.
2. Logon on if you can, then point KEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/Software/Microsoft/
Windows NT/Current Version/Winlogon/Userinit to the correct location of
userinit.exe

If this does not work then try this:

1. Boot into Command Console Mode.
2. Copy the System file to c:\.
3. Reboot the machine.
4. Make a network connection to the machine.
5. Using regedt32.exe, modify the location of the paging file here:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\
Memory Management.
6. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SYSTEM/MountedDevices/:
Delete all keys which look like "\DosDevice\<DRIVE_LETTER>:"

The above steps are non-destructive.

"Tashkant" <goa...@spamme.com> wrote in message

Tashkant

Dec 13, 2003, 8:31:50 PM12/13/03
where can i find this userinit.exe

"Pegasus (MVP)" <I....@fly.com> wrote in message

Tashkant

Dec 13, 2003, 8:39:31 PM12/13/03
thanks i found it.

both drives have it.

----

i think it's beyond hope at this time...i'll think it overnight
and figure out what to do tomorrow.

thanks for the help.

Fishface

Dec 13, 2003, 9:51:20 PM12/13/03
Tashkant wrote:

I'm not sure how it got that way, but when I added a new larger drive
to my system and tried to transfer the contents of the old disk to the
new one, I had a problem. It seems that windows ID's the drives
with a GUID or something. Even a perfectly cloned C: drive was
still identified as the new physical disk, and not the boot disk. Before
cloning, I had to swap the GUIDs of the drives in the registry. There
is a key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\MountedDevices
which contains these. Unfortunately, since I had to do my cloning in
DOS, altering the registry in this way prevented booting again from the
original boot drive, had that been necessary. I hope that makes sense,
but I don't know if this applies to your situation. Check this for more
information:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;223188

Tashkant

Dec 14, 2003, 7:43:26 AM12/14/03
thanks that did the trick.

my old drive is c: and i can boot from it - but only if the
e: drive is online also. if i disconnect e: - i get into a
non-stop loop about loading and saving preferences -
looks like one of the last steps in the load.

btw, i really appreciate both of you helping me - you
saved my hd and a**.

i think we almost got this licked.

----

of course then on to how to clone without getting into
this situation.

Pegasus (MVP)

Dec 14, 2003, 8:02:44 AM12/14/03

"Tashkant" <goa...@spamme.com> wrote in message

As I said in a previous reply in this thread:
- Make sure that the paging file is on drive C:.
- Ascertain that the registry points to drive C: when
referring to userinit.exe.

Tashkant

Dec 14, 2003, 8:24:23 AM12/14/03
i did that and changed all E:\ entries in the registry to
C:\.

that worked and i'm back to where i was coupla days
ago...just about to clone my c drive.

thanks for your help.